October 30th, 2009

Heavy hitters take the stage at Madison Square Garden

Producer Doug Ganley blogging from backstage at Madison Square Garden where the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert took place Thursday night.

The first highlight of the night came when Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel took the stage arm in arm. The audience loved renditions of "Sounds of Silence," "Mrs. Robinson" and "Bridge over Troubled Water."  They walked off to a standing ovation from the crowd and gave one last encore with "Cecelia."

Crosby, Stills and Nash followed with a good set and some assistance from Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne, and James Taylor. David Crosby told us backstage that they are able to keep their songs fresh because, "We don't remember how we did it last time."

The crowd is into it, but definitely skews a little older. With all of the grey hair out there, I bet this is one of the only nights at Madison Square Garden where the beer vendors haven't asked anyone to show an I.D.

Bonnie Raitt told us that she was having a ball. "The hallways are happening" she said, "I wish this could last a month."

Stevie Wonder just took the stage, and after battling technical problems started off with a cover of "Blowing in the Wind." Covers seem to be a theme tonight because Crosby Stills and Nash say they're going into the studio tomorrow to do an album of covers.

Which brings to mind the question what's your favorite cover?

Next entry »
  1. Astridu Mcananyf

It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I've read this post and if I could I want to suggest you few interesting things or tips. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!

July 14, 2012 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. Kaitlin Beckman

Cheer up. It WILL get better.

November 2, 2009 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Kaitlin Beckman

haha thats funny! thanks for the laugh

November 2, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joel

Just saw Kiss in concert last week. AWESOME SHOW!!!
    They deserve to be in the hall of fame simply for their showmanship.
    I would be interested to see WHO they will take with them for the induction. Will it be the ORIGINAL line up???Will they include Vinnie Vincent??? OR... Will it be just the current line up since Ace and Peter
    can't seem to get along well with others???
    As far as covers are concerned ... KISS did God gave rock and roll to you – which I think was an old Argent song.
    You also can't forget VanHalen's YOU REALLY GOT ME – which by the way Gene Simmons is credited for finding them back in the day.

November 2, 2009 at 2:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bill

Cheap Trick and Todd Rundgren should be in the Hall of Fame.

October 30, 2009 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jim

Manfred Mann "Blinded by the Light" is a great Bruce cover, but I'll nominate Hendrix doing "All Along the Watchtower".

October 30, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Christine

Melissa Etheridge, "Thunder Road" by Springsteen. ONLY Bruce cover I've ever heard that works.

October 30, 2009 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. ismael

what abunch of drugged out old farts...

October 30, 2009 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kevin O'Neil

"Cover Me" is an excellent collection of Springsteen covers.
    McGuinness Flint did a album of obscure Dylan "bootlegged" covers called "Lo and Behold". "A Nod to Bob" and the "Masked and Anonymous" soundtrack also has unusual and weird Dylan covers.

If the R&R HOF allows progressive rockers, Yes, Genesis, (including Peter Gabriel as a solo act) and Rush deserve to be at the top of the list. Rush makes the grade because their outstanding live shows are better than most prog rock.

October 30, 2009 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jerry

Best Cover? Maybe Cocker, "With A Little Help From My Friends" or Rod Stewart, "I'm Losing You".

October 30, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jerry

Covers have been "a thing" for years. And Stevie has been doing "Blowing In The Wind" for years as well. It was on one of his earlier Tamla albums and was well-enough received to be on his first "greatest hits" album as well...

October 30, 2009 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Angela

Jeff Healey did some fantastic covers of many different works on his album called (appropriately enough) "Cover to Cover".

October 30, 2009 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rick Albert

ABBA
    KISS, even though I cant stand them.

October 30, 2009 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mark Kelly

I think it has become obvious who should be in the Hall of Fame, to the point of the place being a running joke.

Rush
    Kiss
    Deep Purple
    Alice Cooper
    Judas Priest
    ABBA

This gets to be a long list especially when you consider that Madonna and The Dave Clark Five are inducted.

I hate U2 but do I think they deserve to be in the hall? Of course, my personal taste should not be part of this and the voters for this HOF don't know how to take their arrogant personal tastes out of it.

October 30, 2009 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |