October 29th, 2009

Team Selena Gomez 'finds the good'

Disney star Selena Gomez is proof positive that age is nothing but a number when it comes to philanthropy.

The 17-year-old actress and singer is the youngest ambassador the family-focused non-profit UNICEF has ever had. Gomez is following up a her week-long September trip to Ghana with a Halloween-themed fundraising drive to help kids around the world get the everyday basics we can easily take for granted – things like clean water, food and education.

The “Wizards of Waverly Place” actress raised $700,000 last October for the UNICEF fundraiser, but this year she’s aiming to reach a $1 million goal. If you’re heading out for trick-or-treating on All Hallows’ eve, you can help Gomez raise some funds by taking along a UNICEF trick-or-treat collection box, or head to her UNICEF site to join her team and offer a donation.

The top three fundraisers will get an autographed picture, a UNICEF certificate of appreciation and a personal phone call from Gomez herself.

Be sure to check out Gomez pushing for good on her live stream today at 4 p.m. PST.

1. Nifise

she's just the best role model any kid could ever want

June 2, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Poe

God, all you fools saying who cares that she's. Latin and that the person stating it is racist, or that this isn't a news broadcast or whatever need to just shut up. It was said. As a statement of pride and none of you have any right to tell somebody else off because of it. The fact is that she is helping people. She is a teen star. She's a positive inspIration to kids and even some adults. And she is of Latin decent. If you or anybody else doesn't like it being said, TOO BAD! You wont/cant do anything about it.

May 29, 2010 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  3. krissy

I hope more people act like her. She is a great role model!

November 13, 2009 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lizzie

Oh goodness. Role model? My butt! She is so stupid. And people, she isn't a latin rolemodel. She is only half, and she does NOT represent us mexicans. She looks like Miley Cyrus, white and full of bologne.

This comment is for those who mention her, as some "role model".

November 5, 2009 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  5. sergio

I have a huge crush on her I want to marry her!

November 2, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Confused

Magister,

Would it be okay with you/appropriate if I put "He/She is an Anglo!" every time it is reported that a white person did something good? Imagine the comments I would get if I did that! What does it matter if the person doing the good is white, black, pink, or purple? It doesn't! It matters that a human helped another human and Selena needs to be applauded for that. These labels divide us instead of uniting us. Plus there is a double standard for their use. If I differentiated between Anglos, Blacks, and Latinos at school, I would be in big trouble because all of the students are supposed to be treated equally but then, they can be recognized as Latino Student of the Month. Instead of having to guess when it is okay and when it is politically incorrect to use the labels, why don't we just DROP them? The world would be a better place if we saw ourselves and each other as brothers and sisters first...humans rather than what race, religion, or ethnicity we are.

November 2, 2009 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  7. chris

I think she is hot! I want to marry her!

November 2, 2009 at 5:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. Magister

Folks – I can't speak for Clara, but I read her comment as a statement of pride.

November 1, 2009 at 7:41 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Proud Parent

She obviously has a wonderful set of parents who have actually taken the time to guide her and help show her the importance of giving back instead of trying to recapture their own youth or unlived dreams by living through their Hollywood Children, I would say Selena has really embraced thier guidance. She is a lovely toung woman, Hollywood or not, most children her age are not interested in giving back but in themselves...

November 1, 2009 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  10. jay r

More young people like this need to take note!!

November 1, 2009 at 2:31 am | Report abuse |
  11. Archibold Stanton

She is a Latina? We never noticed in our house. So racist to bring where a person is genetically based for grouping; this is not a live news broadcast!

Good for her. My children like her and she is not trying to become a model DJ like Anderson Cooper or Rush Beck or the other DJ's.

Your channel usually discriminates againt me. The 1st Amendment is screened out by YOU. But I save every post to show and record how you do it.

This is a nice, right-thinking young woman. Soon, you will screen her out too... if she does not fit your agenda.

Semper Fi.

October 31, 2009 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. reason

Clara, What in the world does it have to do with her generosity have to do with her being a so-called
    Latina. You should be proud that she is a young person who take responsibility and has an open heart, wanting to help others in need.
    Hollywood is not inhabited by people, more like animals, who live in a non-realistic world and so far she is on the right track, and hope the temptation in the future won't be to great.

October 31, 2009 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. penguin

OMG! I am 11 and love Selena Gomez!!!!!! I pet sit and most of my money is going to this UNICEF organization. Selena is like my role model! She is amazing........ i really hope to meet her someday! She is amazing to be doing this for kids and people..... i know if they were doing this to me i would be the happiest kid alive! Selena is so much better then all the other gossip and stuff with the gosslins! Selena should be on the front! We need more of stars like her!

October 31, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dan

My youngest adores her show. Would love it if we had more of these type articles circulating the news.

October 31, 2009 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. April

More of this, less of the Gosselins.

October 30, 2009 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  16. exactaman

I knew this girl was something special the first time I laid eyes on her. She has that "it factor" just so beautiful . She will go far and it looks like she is beautiful inside and out.

October 30, 2009 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Jennifer

Way to go Selena!!!
    Keep up the good work. You are a great role model. Hope more stars could be like you.

October 30, 2009 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Kevin

Dave, kids in the US are mainly bad-off because their parents are losers and put their needs above their kids.

I know that doesn't make it the kids' fault, but when the parents are that way, often there is little you can do to help and certainly you are not getting at the root cause of the problem.

In other countries people are often poor because their is no economic opportunity and there is nothing they can do to help themselves.

I frankly had the opposite thought – that she had made a good choice to help those who cannot help themselves.

October 30, 2009 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Dave

Honestly I wish these stars would take some interest in the children in their own country. There are thousands maybe millions of starving, homeless, orphaned children in the inner cities of the United States. I'd be more impressed if she did something for the kids in Detroit or Camden.

October 30, 2009 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Katie

i am 21 and i absolutely adore Selena Gomez!!!! When I hear about what she is doing at 17 makes me wonder what more I can be doing.... she is the type of person that gives empowerment to teens and thats what they need!!!! She is a beautiful and talented person, I hope she keeps up what she is doing!

October 30, 2009 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Dom Pfefferkorn

Who cares if she is latina? She is a good role model no matter what her race, good for her!

October 30, 2009 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  22. Confused

I'm confused. What does being Latina have to do with anything? She is human and showing compassion to humanity in need. If we could all just see each other as humans and drop the labels, the world would be a better place! You go Selena!!!!

October 30, 2009 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  23. Katherine

I agree with Laura and the others: We need to hear more about positive stories like this! Instead of flaunting what terrible role models other celebrities are in the faces of our youth, let's focus on a positive example. Again, I'd love to see more articles like this one, and they should be front and center!

October 30, 2009 at 8:57 am | Report abuse |
  24. (:

she is so inspiring and a great disney role model. unlike miley,cyrus with all her pole dancing, and her short shorts..miley needs to be kicked out of disney. her and vanessa hugens.
    All the Disney stars need to be like Selena and the Jonas Brothers who are great rolemodels (:

October 30, 2009 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  25. Rhonda

With all the famous teenagers out there right now who have been in and out of trouble. It is so refreshing to see that someone who can be so influential to our kids is out there doing something positive with their lives. She seems like a sweet girl from what I have seen and heard. I just hope she continues to be a positive role model. Great Job Selena. All of us mothers are very proud of you and know you will continue to do great things.

October 30, 2009 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  26. leila's dad

I am showing this to my daughter– we actually saw a taping of Wizards (episode airing 11/6/09) and my daughter met her and held her hands and started crying and would not let go :)! Selena said "oh, Thank You Sweetie" and was about to cry as well... class act!

October 30, 2009 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  27. Clara

She is a Latina girl, I'm proud of her! I wish with all my heart that she will keep walking the straight path in the lost world of Hollywood.

October 30, 2009 at 12:54 am | Report abuse |
  28. Samantha

OMG, i love her. she's a great role model. Her family, friends should be sooooooooo proud of her

October 29, 2009 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Jared

finally something positive. Selena is an inspiration.
    More stories like this less about bs pls.

October 29, 2009 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  30. noileen junor

she is doing a good job, raising money for the poor

October 29, 2009 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  31. noileen junor

I love her show. It is so wonderful to know that some people still remember the poor.

God Bless

October 29, 2009 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Britney...

I agree with all the people that wrote above. She is a very inspiring girl and shes MUCH better then the Jon minus kate crap.

October 29, 2009 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jill

What a great role model! Her family must be so proud of her.

October 29, 2009 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Allie

My daughter loves her and she is getting more and more inspiring.

October 29, 2009 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Sabrina

ITA. This should be front page way before Jon Gosselin crap. She's only 17 and being one of the few quality role models our kids can find in Hollywood these days.

October 29, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Yadira

My daughter loves her, & her show. I'm so happy to heard she's doing
    something positive and setting a good role model for the kids.

October 29, 2009 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Laura

This needs to be a bigger post! Finally, an article about something worthwhile that someone in Hollywood is doing...and a "youngster" at that! I hope she continues to "find the good" as she grows up in Hollywood.

October 29, 2009 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |