October 21st, 2009

Oprah vs. Palin: Must see TV

So by now all of you know that I am a TV junkie. I mean a total TV addict- as in, I have two DVR’s and I still seem to always be missing something that I wanted to watch. The highlight of my TV day though- the one “I can’t live without it” program; the “get home from work and run for the couch and clicker” show that I must watch every single day is Oprah.

A few weeks ago my DVR decided (yes, I firmly believe that the little machine has a mind of its own and arbitrarily makes decisions based on how it feels towards me on any given day) not to tape Journey’s appearance on Oprah. Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’” is my ringtone; I got home and almost had a panic attack. My point is that I, like many other people my age, and many who aren’t, are part of the Oprah “club”. We watch the show, read the magazine (I admit, I subscribe), and follow the advice of her experts. So what better place for ex-Alaska Governor, Sarah Palin, to launch her comeback tour?

Palin has not had an easy go of things since the election- and it is no secret that Oprah was firmly in President Obama’s camp throughout the election itself. So it is an interesting message that Oprah is sending by having Mrs. Palin on for her first interview for her upcoming book, Going Rogue: An American Life. Now, let’s not pretend that this isn’t a huge “get” for Oprah- she’ll get enormous ratings for the interview and the press she will receive will be better than any ad campaign that her team could ever put together on their own. But as much as this appears to be a big win for Oprah, I wonder if Team Palin is going to come out on top. This interview is coming mere weeks after Levi Johnston, the father of her grandson, gave an interview to Vanity Fair magazine where he alleged- among other things- that Palin was completely taken in by the fame that came with being nominated for Vice President, that her marriage is teetering on the brink of divorce and that Palin wanted to raise Levi’s child as her own. Levi is also set to appear in a spread on Playgirl.com. If Palin is expecting to run for office in 2012, which many are expecting her to do, this can’t possibly be helping her image.

Oprah’s couch is a couch of healing. It practically has a sign on it that says “give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses”. The amount of people who have come to that couch to pour out their hearts and souls and seek solace- not to mention the forgiveness and/or approval of the American public is immeasurable.

What better place for Sarah Palin to relaunch her career than on that healing couch? And if she can get Oprah’s stamp of “approval”? Well, I would imagine that they would consider that to be icing on the cake.

Not to worry folks- you know where I will be on November 16th- on my couch, right in front of that TV, watching with all of you.

« Previous entry
  1. melody

Ow, is played out in my opinion. She has to do something more creative like go to cable in order to finance Obama next election. She is past her prime-time viewing audience and her and Gail should just hop back in the closet. Someone, should pose a hard line of questioning to her.
    I always thought she was fake and didn't like the way she asked certain people questions. When it becomes old and tiresome...give it up and move on Oprah.

November 20, 2009 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  2. The Odore

That's funny. Both of them are of the opinion that they know the key to happiness, and a better life. Maybe they can spend the whole hour patting each other on the back. Or maybe Palin's book will get the "Oprah's book club' sticker, and then she'll get rich, and leave the american public alone. More than likely though, it will be awkward, and tame, and irrelevant. Hell, maybe Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, Dr. Detroit, and the rest of the Oprah hospital of "WeRichPeopleKnowAboutHappinessBetterThanYou", will cure Palin of her delusions of grandeur.

October 23, 2009 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. nyx

big deal no interest to me what so ever

October 23, 2009 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. vbabe

I'm waiting for the "leave Britney alone" guy to do the same for Sara Palin! And as for Levi Johnson, why does anyone care what he has to say? It's just a bunch of BS, his 15 minutes of fame have expired by now haven't they?

October 22, 2009 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff C

Two of the biggest feminine windbags in history. I predict a tornoado of 'nothing' comes from this meeting. Perhaps an exchange of beauty secrets or recipes will be revealed.

A couple of Self promoters who really,...dont give a hoot aout America or anything,..except seizing opportunity to line their purses with millions of dollars. Just like Olberman, ,Limbaugh, Glen Beck,...all disengenous snake oil salesman out to preach their divisiveness and make a buck.

October 22, 2009 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  6. Franky, Land of Lincoln

You know, not to show off but is what I do but if you wanna make a name of yourself(or meet new attractive women you never met), go to Oprah. And this is interesting.

Sarah Palin, former Gov of Alaska promoting her new book. For starters, she is smart for choosing Oprah to do her dig but you made some good points. Oprah does snap and I don't even watch her! You hear it all the time on the news or in the media and with Palin appearing on the show is like...sorry, :) But anyway, this will help the former Gov, there's no question and is it fair to say that most of all Oprah's audiences are very sophisticated? I mean, no offense but did she help secure the women's vote for the GOP election? Or was that a fantasy hoping to become reality?

As long the former Gov gives a good interview and most importantly, DOES NOT complain before or after, she will be fine and trust me, her appearance and deamonor will be respected by women and you know how hard it is for a women to respect another women especially if they don't see eye to eye and jealousy, is just a whole other level.

I think she'll do fine and is gonna be the talk in politics(for some weird reason) and entertainment. She has to be outgoing and affable if she wants people to respect her personality, not embarrass it. She has shown she is very tangible and sociable but no one likes a b-- who thinks is better than the other girl next door.

October 22, 2009 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. Julie

I will definitely watch this show. Oprah has the best way of asking the tough questions without being rude or obnoxious. I would love to ask Sara Palin a few pointed questions! As for ALYCE – what a shame. I know so many folks with high IQ's, but no common sense, no wisdom and severely handicapped social skills. But we must overlook those less fortunate so I would ask the other Oprah followers to give poor ALYCE a pass.

October 22, 2009 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  8. Debra R

I love Journey too!!!! Sorry you missed them!!!

October 22, 2009 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  9. Justin

Excellent idea, let Oprah build her up so that Obama can tear her down again in 2012 when she gets the Republican nomination. She is definitely a bad candidate. Either that or Oprah just wants to finish her off, once and for all.

October 22, 2009 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  10. phoenix mattress

this interview is going to be one for ages...have you heard of the new book coming out called, "GOING ROUGE?" it's all about what's WRONG with sarah palin.

October 21, 2009 at 11:18 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ALYCE

Good grief! What a pair....Winfrey and Palin. Yawn. Neither has anything to say that could possibly interest me, but my IQ is well above 57. For those of you with no mind of your own, keep hanging onto OW's show for her Holy Words of Drivel.

October 21, 2009 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  12. leslie

EXCELLENT idea. Let's make this happen:)

October 21, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |