October 20th, 2009

Your pop culture cheat sheet

Here's what's going on in the entertainment world today:

• Music video games got a big boost from "The Beatles: Rock Band" last month, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The paper says that the game sold over half a million units in its first month of release, after revenues for the genre of games fell 46 percent this year through August.
  • NBC's popular "The Biggest Loser" is getting spun off into "Losing It with Jillian" starring Jillian Michaels, the popular tough-as-nails trainer from the reality show, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
  • Variety reports that "Hairspray" director/"So You Think You Can Dance" judge Adam Shankman is next taking on the popular Broadway musical "Rock of Ages." Warner Bros. is set to release the tribute to '80s "hair metal" in theaters in 2011.
  • The comic book "Indestructible Man" hasn't even been published and it's already being looked at for television. The Hollywood Reporter says that Fox 21 and Platinum Studios are developing the series about an elite agent that is, well, indestructible.
  • On DVD today: Summer blockbuster "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen," "Cheri" starring Michelle Pfeiffer, "It's Garry Shandling's Show: The Complete Series," "The L Word: Final Season," "Numb3rs: The Fifth Season," "Iron Man Armored Adventures: Volume 1" and "Plastic Man: The Complete Collection."

1. Harmony Garofalo

It is simply matchless topic

June 3, 2010 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dee

Maybe she is gonna bring back the winners from The biggest Loser that has regained their wieght and make them lose it again.

October 20, 2009 at 10:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. JL

I will watch the Jillian show because, if nothing else, it'll motivate me to get off of the couch!!

October 20, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Marty

Hey "DT" "Does anybody remember when it was spelled FAT?"

LOVE your comment; I say that every week when watching BL. Why don't they just call these people what they are: FAT!!!!!! No wonder they became so huge, since society is so afraid to speak the truth to them, everyone is afraid to state the facts: you're FAT because YOU EAT TOO MUCH!!! No one is doing these "losers" any favors by calling them by all the "fat" euphemisms: large, big, genersous-sized. They need to face the truth, which Jillian is not afraid to tell!

October 20, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Marty

So Jillian will be competing with herself? I could watch her but couldn't take another show full of whining fat people. They need to address their emotional problems (immaturity, lack of perseverance, self-hatred, etc) before going on TV to subject viewers to it. I like seeing them succeed in weight loss, but can't take another show full of whining quitters. WAH! Jillian is justified in yelling at them, since that's all that motivates them to get off their big duffs. I hope her new show is more geared to emotionally healthy people who want to lose weight and get physically healthy as well (most of us).

October 20, 2009 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rob

I would love to have Jill as a coach.
    I wonder if the people who don't like her are the ones that are just scared
    to death of her. They know that if they had her as a coach they would not be able to slink off to have a whole pizza with extra cheese or a box of HOHOs.
    As for the supps., what Jill says is correct you don't need them if you get the right amount of protien. carbs, fatty acids etc. You cannot get this from drive thru dollar menu .
    I only hope Jill can get even more hard core as some people NEED it and others (like ex-jocks) will respond better as it will cause them to remember when

October 20, 2009 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LC

1) it's TV.
    2) she is what she is. I think if you met her on the street she'd be the same.
    3) If you're good at what you do, don't you expect a professional benefit? Why deprive Jill of that too?
    4) YES, you need to exercise and watch what you eat, but if you are not getting all your nutrients, why NOT take a suppliment?? Remember, they are SELLING on that show – duh!

I stumbled on BL at the beginning of season 5. Don't know where I was the first four years. Yes, I'm still overweight, but not as much. She and Bob (but especially Jill) are chaning my life. I don't like the suspense either, so I always tune in a half-hour late to skip the commercials.

I hope she doesn't leave BL either, but if they bring on someone else, they have to have the chemistry that she and Bob have now.

October 20, 2009 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mike

They've already tried the Biggest Loser without Jillian. It wasn't very good. Since they are already stretching a two hour show out of one hour's worth of material I doubt I'll watch yet a third hour of this type of programming.

October 20, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Leslie

I LOVE Jillian any show with her on it count me in!

October 20, 2009 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tammie

I think Jillian is awesome!! I will watch anything she is on....even if it's just a commercial....bring it on Jillian!

October 20, 2009 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jessica

Add me to the Jillian watching.

People need their butts kicked and Jillian means business.

October 20, 2009 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Greg

Jillian can train me anytime!

October 20, 2009 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Leelee

What about Bob?

No, not Bob the trainer. The movie "What About Bob?" I didn't like that movie. I like the baby steppin' theory though.

October 20, 2009 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Kimberly

Rock – AMEN! That drives me crazy! I just watched that scene and my memory isn't so damaged that I forgot what happened during the commercial break. I for one adore Jillian and think she gets irritated with some of the twists the producers add into the show to keep it entertaining. She is really about helping people get to the root of thier issue and making life long changes. I hope she doesn't leave BL but I think she'll do great things on her own show as well.

October 20, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. cindy

love jillian, love the twisted stance, love the cursing, love the psychiatric, love her beating of the contestants on TBL....you people who complain about her are just plain ole jealous..... If you don't like her, don't watch the show, you will not be missed....

October 20, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  16. AF

I agree with MES - I LOVE Jillian and can't wait to watch the new show! I hope they'll play it on Hulu - that's the only way I can watch TV :(

October 20, 2009 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mark

TBL is definitely using its popularity to promote new products. You can find the name on proteins, scales, etc. I now see they have a game for the Wii. If anyone has played it, I would be interested in finding out what they think of it.

October 20, 2009 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  18. LW

Jillian has helped/saved so man lives through out her career and the contestants on Biggest Loser. Another show.... more lives to help.... What is so negative about that???

October 20, 2009 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  19. DT

Does anybody remember when it was spelled FAT?

October 20, 2009 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Rock

Will someone please tell the network that they already drag out a one hour show into two hours. Biggest Loser in a great show but it only needs to be one hour long. Stop all the repeating and the slow "anticipation" that just drags the show on and on. I can watch the show using TiVo in just over one hour.

October 20, 2009 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Dempseysdame

I have watched The Biggest Loser since it's television debute and think that Jillian is an acquired taste. She's extremely effective, and whether people like her personality or not – she's very good at what she does – and if you are over weight and need help and are finally ready to accept help – you could careless about what anyone else thinks, or careless about details like someone's personality "quirks" – you want the most effective people surrounding you to help you! Bob and Jillian are both fantastic at what they do. They both go about it it in completely different ways – and yet both are extremely successfull! Good for her for expanding herself and getting her own show. Hope she doesn't leave TBL anytime soon – or if she does, that are able they find a replacement for her that is equally as effective for the participants as she has been! If I joined the show, I'd want Bob as my best friend to come home and cry to every night about how horribly mean my ass-kicking trainer Jillian was on me!!!

October 20, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  22. mgp

Lane, I agree. When I saw her advertising weight loss supplements after all her preaching about you can only lose weight by eating right and exercising, I, too, lost all respect for her. And, yes, Mark, I have noticed her stance. Really the camera ham. I will not miss all her cursing. I hope Bob cleans up his act, too. I think her language is rubbing off on him.

October 20, 2009 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  23. chckII

the networks will do whatever to keep their viewers entertained...I like to watch the phat losers lose their weight. Especially when they whine and cry about being phat since they spent their whole lives either on a couch or at a all you can eat buffet. Jillian makes it fun when she's all up in their face, reminding them its their fault they're phat.

October 20, 2009 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  24. j.l.

I will NOT watch Jillian. I can hardly stand her on The Biggest Loser trying to act like her mom, the real psychiatrist. She is great as a trainer, although I don't enjoy her swearing, etc. but drop the psychiatric bit !

October 20, 2009 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  25. lane

too bad she has become a sellout pushing pills on TV. The second I saw her trying to push weight loss "supplements" in those commercials she lost all my respect.

October 20, 2009 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Susan

Love Jillian! Whatever she does will be fabulous.

October 20, 2009 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Mark

Does anyone else hate the twisted stance she is always doing when she poses for photos?

October 20, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  28. B.J.

If it gets her off Biggest Loser I'm all for it.

October 20, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  29. joanne

I'll be watching....I love that show!!!

October 20, 2009 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  30. MrJellineck

Who has determined that my pop culture cheat sheet has become recycled entertainment and comic book characters? The Beatles, Biggest Loser spinoff, 80's Hair Bands, Transformers and Indestructable/Plastic/Iron Man movies. Yikes!

October 20, 2009 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  31. mabel floyd

the biggest loser is my favorite show. however, i do not watch but one show in a genre. i like both trainers on the biggest loser–i will probably dip into her show one in a while, but when you get two many shows of the same type then you get turned off of all of them.

October 20, 2009 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  32. MES

I don't care what anyone else thinks; Jillian is AWSOME!! We all need a good butt kicking every now and again. I, for one, WILL definatelly be watching her curse, swear and don her psychiatric hat!
    :~D

October 20, 2009 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Robert S

No the networks have not learned that we like variety of things on our show. When the networks finds something that makes a lot of money, they clone till beat the money out of it. We as zombies continue to watch the crap that spew out.

October 20, 2009 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jesse Chin

Indestructible Man's pitch sounds like Robert Kirkman's Brit

October 20, 2009 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  35. MsMHS

Jillian Michaels and another reality losing weight show? Give me a break. Haven't these networks learned yet that we don't want our entertainment all in the same vein - variety is nice. I won't be watching her cursing and swearing and donning her psychiatrist hat, thank you very much.

October 20, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |