October 15th, 2009

Garth's big news: well, that was quick

Well, the cat's out of the bag - and his name is Garth Brooks.  In the world's worst-kept secret, the country music superstar announced this morning he's officially coming out of retirement.  The 47-year-old entertainer - who famously slipped away from recording and touring nine years ago - made the proclamation at the Opry House in Nashville before whisking 40 members of the media to the airport.  They'd been told earlier to pack a small carry-on and meet at a surprise location.  Right now, those journalists are on board a private jet winging their way to Sin City.

I just arrived in Las Vegas to meet up with them for Phase 2 of Operation Comeback: a press conference at the Wynn Encore Hotel.  Kind of bummed they jumped the gun with the announcement - thought they were going to wait for everyone to convene in Vegas before divulging the big news.  Oh well.

Knowing Garth's penchant for drama, maybe there's another surprise up his sleeve.  CNN.com/Live will be carrying the presser as it goes down at 4pm EDT/1pm PDT.

« Previous entry
  1. Native Peoples

Garth said he did not like Native American people, this despite growing up amid them in Oklahoma. IN a published interview printed in the Albuqueque JOURNAL, Garth said he didn't like Natives. When asked at a Phoenix news conference if he indeed said that as quoted in the article, he neither denied or admitted to what he said, he simply quoted bible scripture. He said: Love was the most important.....
    From that moment on, he has yet to invite any Native reporters to his events and media doings. Seems to me he answered the question, perhaps, not then, but he sure made his answer clear from that moment on. GARTH BROOKS DOES NOT LIKE NATIVE AMERICANS.

October 19, 2009 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Galenn Smokah

Ya I always heard he said that...for me I am Cheyenne and Arapaho and I don't even care for his music...he a prejuduice and hater from what it sounds like im sure lucky star casino will never invite him...haha

November 29, 2013 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. swannie

does ANYONE REALLY CARE???? he is a has-been, just stay out of the spotlight as you have been, and we'll all be the happier for it!

October 19, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jonathan

Ho hum. Wow...another "celebrity" comes out of retirement. Yawn. As if they're not a dime per hundred already.

October 19, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joel

Debra,

Sure "Chris Gaines" was a SERIOUS error for Garth Brooks.
    But if you ask Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Miranda Lambert , and Taylor Swift – I bet every one of them would say that Garth was a major influence for them.
    My wife and I saw him perform in Memphis, Tn. before he "retired".
    I have to admit that I am a child of the 80's "hair metal" bands and Garth Brooks absolutely blew me away. Best show I have ever been to... Well, except for a KISS concert. LOL.

October 16, 2009 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Debra R

Keith Urban, Toby Keith and Brad Paisley write their own stuff, and have successfully been able to cross over to the pop charts...Chris Gaines was an embarassing failure....it is for that reason I say they are more talented...in fact I can add Dolly Parton, Miranda Lambert and Taylor Swift to that list as well...

Garth can sing, but he can't write and as for guitar playing Urban riffs circles around him...

October 16, 2009 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Joel

What Garth did for country music in the 90's was AWESOME!!!
    Country needs Garth to come back and kick 'em in the pants.
    Country has become a watered down "pop" sound and needs folks like Garth Brooks to rekindle that fire of the early 90's.
    Go get 'em Garth!!! Show 'em all how the real entertainers do it!!!

October 16, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kate

i have missed Garth and enjoy his music and showmanship. welcome back Garth – !

October 16, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bernie C

I think it's great that Garth has decided to come out of retirement. However, for those of us who cannot go to Vegas, it' s not such a big deal! I have always loved Garth Brooks. He is the artist who turned me, and probably thousands of others, onto country music. For Debra R, I agree that Georege Strait is in a class of his own, but Keith Urban, Toby Keith and Brad Paisley have more talent than Garth Brooks? Not a chance. His fans love him a for a reason.

October 16, 2009 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Debra R

Garth will never equal George Strait. Garth also does not have the talent that Keith Urban, Toby Keith or Brad Paisley has.

I do however like a few of Garth's songs, The Dance will also be played at my Mother's funeral as she has requested it.

October 16, 2009 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  10. Debra R

Go away Garth...your ego is the size of Texas....

October 16, 2009 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. samantha

Paula, guess we all have our own taste. To me, Garth was the greatest country singer ever. You can hear his soul come out in his voice. I lost a son several years ago and at his funeral I had Garth Brooks song The Dance played. It was almost as if Garth knew the pain people go through in a loss like that when he wrote that song....
    Wecome back Garth, todays country singers are so less than what you were , its great to have you back.

October 16, 2009 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  12. Diane

I for one am absolutely thrilled that Garth is back..And yes..he did retire...He was on the road constantly doing 7 shows a week..The specials he did were usually for charity or special occasions...and he always had to be back home to his girls..Garth off key?? you have GOT to be kidding..I am kind of surprised at the $125 ticket fee though..In the old days when Garth performed he insisted that tickets be no more than $20 so everyone could attend..But, times have changed..I , for one am eager to hear the King of country..will await any new music and be there on the release day to purchase it..

October 15, 2009 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. char

welcome back garth! so glad to see you decided to come back! real talent, and a breath of fresh air, (me having to endure not one but 2 no talent twitney spears comebacks) looking forward to hearing your new stuff! im not a big fan of country music( more of heavy metal/ metallica) stuff but i do like some country stuff( johnny cash, and several garths stuff) good luck, best wishes garth! knock our socks off.

October 15, 2009 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Paula

Garth Brooks is a nice entertainer, but is it me or does anyone else feel that Garth is off key alot? He does not end his notes on key and it bothers me when I listen to him. Tricia Yearwood had perfect pitch and I wonder if she can hear Garths off key notes?

October 15, 2009 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. LBW

I hope his voice is still as good as it was. Whitney's voice isn't as strong as it was before. I wish him luck and I can't wait to hear his new stuff.

October 15, 2009 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Chris

Retired? Maybe Bret Farve Retired. What does he call all the appearances and Wal-Mart releases he's done for the past 9 years??? If that's retired, then I'd \really like to see him get FIRED. I don't know what's bigger, his ego or his inflated....well, ego.

October 15, 2009 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |