October 13th, 2009

Jon and Kate face off in court!

The latest chapter of the Jon and Kate drama unfolded today in a Pennsylvania courtroom as the battling reality couple fought over their money. Kate’s attorney, Mark Momjian, tells Showbiz Tonight that:

“In response to an emergency application filed by Kate Gosselin on October 5, 2009, the Honorable Arthur R. Tilson of the Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas entered an Order today directing Jon Gosselin to return $180,000 in marital funds, which he removed in violation of an arbitrator’s order.  Mr. Gosselin must repay this sum by on or before October 26, 2009, and if he fails to do so, he must appear before the Court for contempt proceedings. The remaining sum of $55,000, which Ms. Gosselin used for household bills and expenses relating to the children, will be subject to further determination by the arbitrator at a later date. The Judge also ordered Ms. Gosselin to provide an accounting of past expenses also by October 26.”

Kate tells us that, “As difficult as this has been for me, I am pleased that the Court has ruled fairly on behalf of myself and my children. Now that this matter has been ruled on, I look forward to returning to private arbitration, as we have agreed to do, to resolve any remaining issues.”

Mark Jay Heller, Jon’s attorney released this statement:

“All of the attorneys on both sides worked very hard.  We were very pleased with the outcome of the court proceedings and the arbitration session and we are very hopeful that there will soon be a resolution.”

For all of the latest breaking developments in the battle between Jon and Kate, tune into Showbiz Tonight, 11pm ET/PT on HLN- don’t miss it!

« Previous entry
  1. LG from VA

Why are we discussing what Kate spends on her nails or how much Kate has in other accounts? This account was set aside specifically for household expenses and it's what Kate used to pay the household bills. Jon dipped into those funds when both were told not to do so. It's moot if Kate could have accessed other funds to pay her bills. (It probably wasn't 100% accurate when she said, "I cannot pay my bills." She could pay her bills, but not from the funds the family had set aside for that purpose because Jon took from them.) If you say, "She has enough money in other accounts, boo hoo," you are missing the point. Jon was not allowed to access those funds and he took them. If he did this with all of their accounts, she would be left high and dry. In any other divorce case, we would not question this as being wrong. When the courts say not to touch funds, you aren't to touch funds, no matter how much money the couple has.

October 14, 2009 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. whocares

WOW. ok. Half of the comments on here are in agreement that this is not news anymore and wish it would stop taking up space on the newstands. -Thank You, can we tell Jon & Kate to go the hell away, maybe move to another country because we don't want them here anymore.

The other half of the comments here are actually expressing feelings for Jon & Kate and which one they like more. Not only that but they are the most illiterate, poorly written, half-brained 'thoughts' I have read in a while...hmmmm...maybe I'm on to something here. -Good job second group...keep it up.

And the only reason I'm reading this and responding is becuase I'm sooo sick of this sh*% everywhere in the news. Go away already, no one should care.

October 14, 2009 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sara

I'm sorry...but you people need to go back to school and learn grammer. Your writing skills suck!

October 14, 2009 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Doug

I think that everyone needs to step back and really look at themselves before they go judging and commenting on Jon and Kate. Why does anyone think we should even know anything about their money situations or what's going on with their divorce. How many people watched the show from the beginning? It was a cute show that revolved around the life of raising 8 kids. The media could have cared less about them until the troubles started between Jon and Kate. The show did not do it to them... The media did! I loved them all and it breaks my heart to see what this drama hungry tabloid loving nation has turned them into.

October 14, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Emily

Is CNN owned by the same parent company as TLC by any chance? Because they keep running stories on these two useless bints every single day, no matter how much everyone keeps telling them they are sick of it.

October 14, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jackie in Dallas

I could go a whole month without hearing another word about EITHER of them and be happy.

And no, I didn't read the article or all the blogs...I'm just using this as a method of trying to reach CNN...this IS NOT NEWS.

October 14, 2009 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Lisa

"I look forward to returning to private arbitration, as we have agreed to do, to resolve any remaining issues."

yea right you selfish b*tch. I despise the both of them and like everyone else – those poor children. They'll like all grow up to be just as bad as their parents.

October 14, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. lena

i think that both of them should think of the kids. i would think of them first instead of that money. kate you will get your money but Jon- you need to figure what you want in life before doing something that could bite you in the but later on. both need to grow up and learn that their five minutes of fame was about 10 years ago. my god i have friends as old as i am(20) who are acting more mature than the both of them.

October 14, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Debbie

stay classy Gosselins!! Enough of them already, seems having a litter to get rich is catching on these days.

October 14, 2009 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Anna

Good points everyone! I think MOST of us are on the same page about them....Thanks Latlu!

October 14, 2009 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Liz Flor

I hope Jon should shot-up his month. Everybody knows he is a parasite. Both of them are using the kids to be rich. Those money they are getting should be put into Trust for the kids.

Stop already this nonsense articles about this two no good hypocrites.
    Makes me sick to see their pictures everywhere. People don't buy the magazines that published stories about this two.

October 14, 2009 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. ntivenyker

I used to be a fan of Jons, not Kate because of the way she treated Jon. Ever since they split, I have become a fan of Kate's and not Jons. Jon is an immature, selfish, self absorbed man-child who does not think of anyone but himself. I find it interesting that he stated that while they were disagreeing over Cara and Mady's birthday that he said that he was going to the house whether Kate like it or not, it's *his house and he'll do what he wants*. Of course a month ago he was singing a different tune when Kate objected to the babysitter he selected and she showed up, was barred from the property and had to spend a night in a motel. I think he's a disgusting pig. They both need to take the high road and do what's right for the KIDS.

October 14, 2009 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. cece

I dont feel sorry for nither of them there only thinking of themselves and about money they just became money hungry especially her like they say her hair her nails its all an act on her part cause there being filmed of course she has to be the perfect parent i want to see her the day they dont have the show ! its not like shes taking care of those kids byherself she always has some kinda help! id like to see her take care of those kids by herself then i would call her a mother! other then that shes an act ! she cant blow up infront of cameras! the way i see it the show just made them become famous and now it went to there head. Do they donate money to charities? she bugs me! i hope she gets whats coming to her to the reason why shes with the kids all the time is cause she aint got a choice there hers! thats usaually what happens in divorce the pressure is on the mother! they need to leave the show and get a real life like the rest of us let those kids be free instead of being filmed all the time. She pretends not to like them following them with cameras all over everywhere there at but we know she loves all the attention! if she didnt she wouldnt have the show!

October 14, 2009 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mike from Calgary

Jon revealed his character by taking off with $180K-$230K and using it for his own purposes. Kate had to act to protect the kids. She did not overreach and her actions were more tempered than expected, presumably in the hope of resolving matters amicably, and to minimize the cost and stress of litigation.

Hopefully, Jon does the right thing. The accounts from which he stole or removed money should benefit the kids, not the lawyers nor Jon's now girlfriends. And how does a Porsche or BMW or bachelor's pad for Jon's girlfriends' use benefit the kids!

October 14, 2009 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  15. snowcone

I think Jon & Kate need to run in 2012.

October 14, 2009 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  16. bart barth

It is about time Kate acts like a mom. #1 her shirts show tooooo much clevage and her hair is to perfectly done to be a mom trying to take care of 8 kids.....Ya right She has people doing that that cost money......Lets get real No More Kate and Joh and 8 Kids infor put on public display on TV or Papers Less get back to the starving kids in America, the handicapped, Health reform and the war. Far more real than the Kate and Jon crap.

October 14, 2009 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  17. Debra R

no more OK? This is not entertainment and it is not newsworthy. It is pathetic and sad but not more so than any other nasty divorce

October 14, 2009 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  18. DK

Kate is such a overbearing, demanding person I don't see how Jon put up with her as long as he did. I agree that he should have stood up for himself more and put her in her place but that doesn't giver her the right to act like she does. To bad for the kids, I can only imagine what it's like having her for a mother.

October 14, 2009 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  19. K

Jon is sooooo gross! Kate is lucky to be rid of him. She should have kicked him to the curb a long time ago. If Jon acted like a man maybe she would have treated him like one.

October 13, 2009 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Alissa

WHY?....he stayed home with the kids for the past 2 years while Kate bounced all around the country...she is wearing $400 shoes..facials – hair – clothes trips..doesnt he deserve to have any money? Be careful Kate Karma is a ......The Judge should make Kate provide a FULL accounting of EVERY DOLLAR spent in the past 2 yrs.....Wheres the money Kate? I wish he would move back into house and STAY on his property that would get her goat!

October 13, 2009 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Kat

This BIG mess has gotten way out of hand...shame on all parties for dragging this through the public..........in the begining they had issues that needed to be resolved....and weren't........now there is no going back.....it is a real shame......I feel sorry for all parties.

October 13, 2009 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Bama Girl

I think they should both stop......Jon you have had your fun now it's time to get back to what is important- your KIDS and your Wife. Stop all the Bull and work on your family- Kate you need to not be as demanding and let your man be a man and stop nagging- Jon grow some balls and say I'm a man treat me like one- but it's kinda hard when you constantly act like you're 15 – Y'all have 8 kids settle your problems and work on giving your kids the family they deserve they didn't ask to be put in this world ..........................

October 13, 2009 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  23. bobbie ferenzi

I have watched their show from the beginning. It is very sad to see what has transpired with this family dynamic. Between all the blogs and entertainment shows reporting daily, it becomes less important about family values and their children, but which parent can out do the other on T V. Eventhough both John & Kate have previous careers other than in media, their salaries combined would not cover (2) mortgages and feed and educate 8 kids. Kate is totally correct and is trying to look ahead for their future. John hasn't said much except bash Kate any chance he can. They still have to pay for their old house and the current million dollar property where they presently live and film from. We see the kids going on trips all over the country that TLC pays for, but what else could TLC show each week? It would be too boing. I understand TLC pays for landscapers. pool maintenance. a chef. cloths. hair and makeup. this sounds like a good deal to me! I hope going forward these two grown adult parents will keep their divorce and financial issues PRIVATE! Lets move on with life. Kate can do her talk show and John his reality show (if anyone cares to watch it)! As Rodney King once said "can't we all just get along)?

October 13, 2009 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  24. sara

When she has to live like normal single moms, maybe then she will get some sympathy, until then SHUT UP!!

October 13, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  25. HBobbie McLeod

Amen!

October 13, 2009 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  26. LBW

Her hair and nails and such are still cheaper than his vacation to the French Riviera and all of his girlfriends. The only splurge I've seen from her was the vacation to NC with the kids. Her first concern is the kids and Jon's is Jon. I'm glad he had to pay the money back. He's a pig.

October 13, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Latlu

I agree with your perspective, Chitowngal. :)

October 13, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Latlu

Anna- If you aren't interested in the story then why in the world are you responding to it, let alone reading it in the first place? I wish the hypocrites who read and respond negatively to the publicity that Jon and Kate are getting would take their own advice and stop paying attention so those of us who are interested could read relevant comments instead.

October 13, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  29. CHITOWNGAL

I think that the arbitrator did the right thing. Why should it be only Kate's responsability to pay for all the household bills and the kids. And why should Jon be the one mooching off the mutual checking account when it had been agreed upon that the account was for the kids and the household bills. He sure as hell jumps at the chance to say "my house, my kids". It is not only about ownership it is about responsability. I agree that Kate probably has money of her own as she should have since she did write a book while Jon was whinning about the fact that he had to be with the kids and he was in an unhappy marriage. Now that he is free he does nothing but parade around with any fool that will have him for his fame, please. If it was agreed that the money was for the household bills and the kids he had no right to touch that money for his personal needs. He should go get a job and get ready to pay child support for all these kids he helped procreate. He wants them off the air and the show canceled that is perfect but I sure don't see him looking for a job. He is so selfish, I wonder if his attorneys and him have gotten together too hash out the numbers of how much he will have to pay for monthly child support and if his little "friends" have thought about the fact that without a job or t.v. show they are hanging out with a father of eight that won't have enough to buy them a pop......

October 13, 2009 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  30. c

oh where do i begin on THIS? ok im not a fan of jon, right off the bat. but kate boo-hooing she only has a little over $1k and cant pay her bills? oh come on~! wheres her $$( 1 mil for a book?) plus you KNOW those hairdos,nails, tanning and clothes and shoes dont come free! and when she whines about not being able to pay the bills, but turns around and says she wants a ring w/ 8 diamonds and a pearl( or is it mother of pearl?) =i'm not biting on it. sounds like shes whining she doesnt have the( extra) $ to blow on superficial sh**( like her hair,nails,ect) plus wasnt she a nurse? correct me if im wrong, but last i check nurses do make decent wages. she needs to ( gasp) go back to work/ and make a REAL paycheck. then maybe id have a little bit more sympathy for her. her wanting child support from jon? oh please= shes the breadwinner now( show, her book, ect) not excusing jon, he too needs to get a real job( wasnt he in the tech field?)

October 13, 2009 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Anna

Seriously, is this what we are interested in? I feel bad for the children but this is ridiculous. We have people in third world countries starving and even in our own country in devastation and we are interviewing and worried about these two idiots!? Give me a break! What have they contributed to anyone? Hate sounding insensitive but this cannot be what truly bothers us or interests us.

October 13, 2009 at 3:43 pm | Report abuse |