October 12th, 2009

Michael Jackson's "new" song

So, how was your Monday?

Executives at Sony Music Entertainment thought it would be a big day.  After all, they were releasing "This Is It," the first Michael Jackson song since his death in June, the latest salvo in the media blitz leading up to "This Is It" the album, dropping October 26th internationally and October 27th in the U.S., and "This Is It" the movie, opening October 28th.  Except "This Is It"... isn't.

It isn't really a Michael Jackson song, or a new song.  Turns out Michael and singer-songwriter Paul Anka co-authored the ditty, way back in 1983, for an Anka album.  Latin hip-hop artist Safire recorded and released it in 1990 as "I Never Heard," and then it was "never heard" again... until some poor soul at Sony, whose name will probably never be revealed, unknowingly found the tape in Jackson's archives.  Add some Jackson brothers' backing vocals and orchestration to Michael's voice and Anka's piano, and you've got MJ's first post-mortem single.

Anka's being gracious, saying the producers did a beautiful job of completing the song, and calls the mess "an honest mistake."  Of course, after some no-doubt-frantic negotiating by the Sony folks, Anka now owns 50% of the song.  Monday was a pretty good day for him!

Now, let's get down to what's truly important: did you like the ballad?  Did you stay up until midnight to hear it online as soon as possible?  And does the revelation about its origins make any difference to you?

« Previous entry
  1. Mia Johnson

oh dear i kind of missed Michael Jackson already.,;

October 4, 2010 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  2. Daddy-M

I loved the song. Yet, I had an idea that it would not be a recent recording.

October 14, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jacque

Let the man rest!

October 14, 2009 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Yoly

I love Michael`s voice in every song .I love Michael. One thing is clear to me nor his brothers neither Sony took good care of Michael`s memory

October 13, 2009 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Hiuge Michael Fan

I love Michael and all his music, but this song is really bad. And I don't mean bad as good. It's horrible. The people that makes these decisions made a terrible call here. Just cause it's the same ittle as his tour? Really weak Sony. There is a reason Michael never released it.

October 13, 2009 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Nefertari

I love the song, I love Michael's voice and if Sony made a mistake because they need it a This is it song to me it doesn't matter.
    Love you and miss you Michael.

October 13, 2009 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jan

The song was okay but, not MJ's usual style. MJ always said Sony had some conflicts of interests when it came to sponsoring their artists, now we can say he was right. Greed/Media attention makes people make decisions they wouldn't normally. I will always love MJ, I grew up with him. Peace be with you MJ..................finally!

October 13, 2009 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Carine

The song is beautiful, but its coming has unfortunately came with people not doing their job correctly. It makes me sad for Michael that Sony used this song called I Never Heard, which was co-wrote by M. Jackson and P. Anka in 1980, just because Michael sings the words 'This is it' in the demo, because it's a DEMO and then tries to pretend Michael chose it to fit the concerts title.

Since Sony uses songs without permission, they now get this arrangement to do with Paul Anka, who, yes, deserves his part of it, but could have asked for it in a much more polite way. Sad to know that perfectionnist Michael never would've released this song, as it is unfinished.

Now tabloids and haters start saying Michael Jackson stole the song, lies and who knows what else, when he isn't even there to make that kind of decision. Sad, very sad.

Sony screwed up BIG TIME

At least Michael's voice is beautiful, as always.

October 13, 2009 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Komakia

I love M.J. the song was good. I will be first to buy the album.

October 13, 2009 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Nadine

Like it very much.....R.I.P. Michael Jackson.

October 13, 2009 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Anna

As a fan of Michael Jackson, I say keep the music coming. Just get the business end clear up first. Media please don't try to make such a big deal out of this, it was settle. Half to Michael and Half to Anka, they co-wrote the song.

October 13, 2009 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Anna

I like the song and yes I did stay up all night listening to the song. This may not be a new song, but Michael's fans have never heard it before.

October 13, 2009 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lady Luck

I think Michael could sing the phone book and it would sound wonderful.

That being said, in my opinion, Mr. Anka could have handled the matter more professionally. When matters such as these arise, you don't run to TMZ to make your case, you contact the parties who can actually do something to resolve the situation. I guess Mr. Anka got a little excited at the prospect of attaining some media attention, after all of these years.

October 13, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tima

Well MJ co-wrote the song & Anka admits that the song was creates as a collaboration between the two artists, so that's clear.
    as for the song itself, I liked it very much, MJ sounds great.
    dear "Funk-on" it's a metaphor, get a hold of yourself ...the lord is the light of the world as well as everything or anybody else who can influence the existence in a good way. MJ is larger than life & for that I think I won't mind him calling himself the light of the world.

October 13, 2009 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  15. LBW

I heard a part of it. It was pretty and clear. He was good.

October 13, 2009 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  16. niroshini

Love the ballad. Michael was a master singer and that is clearly heard. It does not matter about the origins of the song...great job, MJ and PA!

October 13, 2009 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  17. Funk-On

That song stinks he is not the light of this world the LORD is.Bo!

October 13, 2009 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  18. Whatever

Who cares if it is a "new" song or not, it is a beautiful, catchy ballad! I like it!

October 13, 2009 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |