October 9th, 2009

Network execs: Stop ruining my 'stories'!

So here is a little tidbit about me — one that I don’t usually share with perfect strangers, but here it goes: I am a soap fan. Actually that might be putting it mildly; I am a HUGE soap fan. I am the girl who DVRs my favorite ones ("General Hospital" and "All My Children," in case you were wondering) when I am at work and watches them when I get home.

eric braeden

It doesn’t end there though — I read the gossip and spoilers online and I have a subscription to Soap Opera Digest. Yes, you read that right; I proudly give up a portion of my paycheck to read all about my favorite “stories” as they used to be called and about the actors that play them.

I can tell you all about "General Hospital" — I can tell you what happened when Jason met Carly or when Luke hooked up with Felicia. I will patiently sit and explain to you why Carly number two, Tamara Braun, was my favorite and why Sonny and Carly are my favorite "supercouple."

I am worried though, because soap operas appear to be dying. "Guiding Light" just aired its final episode last month after 72 years on TV and radio. The entire production, including most of the cast of "All My Children" is being moved to Los Angeles in what many insiders are viewing as a last ditch effort to save the ABC soap. Actors across the board are being asked to take drastic pay cuts to offset the budgetary constraints and it is resulting in the departure of a lot of fan favorites.

Just this week, Eric Braeden, who had been on "The Young and the Restless" for almost three decades, left the show after a contract dispute. He told “Showbiz Tonight” that “contracts that actors sign are not worth the paper they are printed on and I am keeping all my options open and may or may not return to Y&R in the future.”

The problem is that viewers tune in to see these familiar faces. When shows getting rid of beloved veteran actors like Braeden, what motivation do viewers have to tune in? A story is only as good as the actor in it — and a familiar face telling the story is why these viewers tune in every day.

« Previous entry
  1. vinay

Hey man, was just browsing through the internet looking for some information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the way you are explained in this blog. nice theme. Bookmarked this page, will come back for more. You, my friend, ROCK!!!

June 16, 2010 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Mary

I watched GH til they decided to ruin the characters I tuned in for. I hated that Jason was with Sam the first time they paired them , but when they broke up Liz and Jason to put Jason back with the woman who went after his kid I said enough and stopped watching. That was not the only reason though. Liz was another favorite and she was never given a story and was used for wall decoration, while yet again they put on their favorite characters like Sam and Olivia. The soaps have forgotten what viewers tune in for. I know the character of Sam has fans but so do all the other characters. The writers need to realize the characters history and the show history and the vets are what makes the shows. Tthe new characters and their pets need to fit in not thrown at the audience to love or else you will see them til you do love them. I hope someone at the top of these shows takes an interest and fix the problems the soaps has, but we don't need more fangirls , we need someone who cares about the shows and all the characterrs and all the fans not just their pets. If you bring quality to the screen the viewers will come, If what you are writing is plot points to push characters and couples, viewers will continue to tune out because everyone eventually gets board seeing the same characters and couples , stories and dialog. Write good stories for all characters and push all the characters and good couples instead of couples that would not and should not ever be together Respect your vets and the family units. Stop using soaps to push sleaze and get back to storytelling.

October 15, 2009 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tayla Phillips

The viewers of soaps are mostly older people that have been watching them probably since they began coming on. They watch the shows because they are home to some of their favorite actresses and actors. Most of the older people dont and cant do much on a daily basis so they watch the soaps and their favorite characters to keep them happy. So why get rid of the "seasoned" ones. 9 times out of 10 they are the best ones on the show and if you take them off you might as well take off the show. When people get into the routine of doing things a certain way they seldom like sudden changes. The so called "seasoned" actors are the ones who make the shows what they are. You get rid of them you get rid of the show.

October 13, 2009 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Maureen

They have been messin with our stories for YEARS. How about Ryans Hoops? Man, when they tanked that you could not even get the last episode on a decent station.

Then the whos the father of Mickey hortons son? That went on forewver.

October 13, 2009 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. GeenasMom

Soaps have forgotten what made them work. I've watched GH from its conception, and it was stories and characters. All ages and equal time. Now its who's young and built ... if you're over 30 you're considered matronly if your female. And while the mob has always been in Port Chuck ... spending the entire show on them was never what GH was about. It use to have a moral center, his name was Steve Hardy. :) How can you make any story work, if th moral center is a crime lord? And Bob Guza desrespects woman, police officers and soliders daily. You want to know why soaps are dying? Look at GH ... you'll see a dying soap and the writer who created it.

October 13, 2009 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  6. mika

Wonderful article. Soaps are like comic book serials - they have long histories and devoted (fanatical) audiences that know these histories inside and out. When the stories ignore these histories, the audiences tunes out.

Have to differ with some of the comments concerning GH, though. The show would benefit by ending its pro-mob stance. Where the mob used to be main antagonists, they are now the show's moral center. Elevating the mobsters to be the shows heroes means as iconic characters like Laura & Robert can no longer be part of the show. Because to be true to history, they would have to fight the mob, or die trying. (A fate many a GH hero or heroine has met.)

Someone has to explain to GH's writers that "anti-hero" does not mean "villain", just someone who works outside the system - like another old GH vet, Luke.

October 13, 2009 at 8:37 am | Report abuse |
  7. Sally B

I am a soap fan, too. All My Chldren has been my favorite soap since it first started in 1970. I don't recognize it anymore. Brian Frons and his henchman Charles Pratt have completely trashed it.

Perhaps you, as a reporter for CNN, can get an interview with them and ask them point blank why they hold their audience and actors in such disregard because it's a sure bet the soap press never will.

October 12, 2009 at 11:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mia

ABC soap actors are taking paycuts across the board to help with the budgetary constraints. And yet, General Hospital has recently spent millions of dollars on the transition to HD, on new sets, and on CGI. All the while GH, "my story" , gets worse and worse. It seems that the network executives have forgotten that a "serial drama" is about love, romance, adventure, cast integration, and character driven stories in continuity. In the end, it doesn't matter about the flash, what matters is the story... The Writing...which on GH at least has been horrific under Bob Guza.

Which leads to me to my next question: How much of a paycut have Guza, Jill Phelps and Brian Frons taken recently?

October 12, 2009 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Connie

ABC needs to get rid of Pres Fronz and his pet on GH!I adore most all the vets who are nither GONE or USED to plottwist a story.I adore Robin Christopher who could act and put a SPIN on Kelly Monaco but whatever happened to Robin?Where are all the Q'S all we get is MOBS and PI who SUCKS

October 12, 2009 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Helen from New York

I started watching General Hospital in 1967 with my mom! I took a 17 year break to raise a daughter and when I came back I couldn't figure out who was who anymore. When did sonny corrinthoes and his family become the family of GH? Where are my Quartermaines??!!! There are only 3 of them left...Monica who's a Q by marriage, Tracy who's become nothing but mrs luke spencer and Edward...all of whom we never see! There is only ONE Webber represented. No Baldwins whatsoever!

How can I watch a soap when I don't know anyone on the show anymore? When history is disrespected constantly...both of the show and the characters! There is no continuenity of writing and what one writer writes one day another contradicts the next. There is NO story only plot points! And if you're not part of a couple...forget about airtime! And holidays? I can't remember the last time General Hospital had a real family holiday of any kind! And the favortism over who gets airtime is ridiculous on this show. There are only FIVE characters who get airtime and they are on EVERY DAY!

GH didn't use to be like that. It used to be about family and friends and people getting together over time!

Why should I waste my time watching something I have no connection to anymore?

I honestly think GH is the worse soap on the air and it seems like all the other soaps are now following their lead cause they keep winning emmy's they don't deserve for best writing!

I say fire all tiic and hire people who LOVE soaps to write, direct, produce and be the head of ABC daytime!

October 12, 2009 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Barbra

I use to watch GH until TIIC keep pimp their 1 favor.Kelly M can not act and she is push into every storyline.TIIC keep whitewashing her while other actress are let go!Yes TIIC has made her dirty ONLY to clean her up and make her the EVERY DAY HERO!I Heard Steve B is NOW saddled with her.Someone must be mad at Steve!Kill of Kelly character and keep the vets!

October 12, 2009 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Cocoa

Great article, although my idea of a supercouple is Luke and Laura NOT Sonny and his "latest squeeze. LOL
    I've watched soaps for the past 30 years and sadly I think they are circling the drain.
    When beloved veterans are ousted from the show they helped to make a success, then you know the end is near.
    If it weren't for Genie Francis, there would be no General Hospital and yet TPTB refuse to bring her back to the show full time.
    The characters we've come to know and love are either written off, killed off, back burnered or destroyed by terrible writing.
    Just look at what's happend to Luke Spencer on GH.
    Too many fans have walked away from ALL the soaps in disgust, I doubt there's anything that any of them can do to insure their survival for the next 2 years.
    It's a shame.

October 12, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Carl of Norfolk, VA

I sure missed Guiding Light. I also remembered Dark Shadows. That was a very unusual gothic daytime soap opera in daytime history. Remember Kate Jackson as Daphne Harridge Collins? She was barely out of her teens long before Charlie's Angels. I also remembered The Edge of Night with Adam Drake and his wife Nicole Drake many decades ago. I saw the first episode of Michael Zaslow on GL who brilliantly played the greatest villian ever in daytime history: Roger Thorpe. I also remembered Another World: loved Mac and Rachel Cory. Iris Cory, Mac's daughter and among others. And for nightime soap opera: I loved Dynasty also and especially the legendary catfights between Krystle and Alexis Carrington. I still remember how much Alexis becoming the bitchiest villianess in primetime history. Imagine Alexis Carrington with Roger Thorpe. This would send Holly Thorpe shivers up her spine! But aside from that, soaps are dying and the major reason: women don't stay home anymore like they used to 50 years ago!

October 12, 2009 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. anonymous

What this article is saying is so true of today's culture. I loved what he said about Tamara Braun. By far, the best Carly of them all. Eric Braeden deserved better than this. His being fired is no different than what happened to Stuart Damon on GH whose presence is still being felt. Same with Lynn Herring, Jon Lindstrom, and who can forget Genie Francis.... You know, the OTHER half of the famous Laura & Luke pairing? Genie who was responsible for saving GH's arse when her popularity grew for the David Hamilton Murder Case pre Geary's Luke arrival. When actors like Braun, Braeden, Ted King, Stephen Nichols, Mary Beth Evans, and others are being disrespected by their shows and being told at any point their jobs are on the line, there's no belief the networks care for us as the viewers. You know, the ones who give these asshats their ad revenues to set their prices for the shows they air?

October 12, 2009 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Gael May

Sony will lose so many of us if Eric Braeden is not returned ASAP to Y&R! Eric Braeden is an outstanding actor to be treated this way and you Sony are showing the fans no respect and total contemp! Why do you keep the likes of Adam, (what a sorry story that is!) Ashley, Mary Jane, Mac, Phillip, Phylis, Jeffery, Decon,Amber,Jana ,Abby? Go back to the rich sories of the core families and the truly great actors that Victor, Niki, Victoria, Nick, J.T, Sharon, Jack, Kathryn Chancellor, Jill, Neil, Cain, Lily, The rest need to go if there is a need for cutting the cast. We don't tune in to see all these late comers. We tune in to watch the core families... While you are at it get some new writers! Y&R is a wonderful show except for the awful stories of late...Eriv Braeden can not be replaced. Eric IS VICTOR NEWMAN so don't even THINK about replaciming him!!!

THANK YOU Eric for many many WONDERFUL years as Victor! God Bless!

October 12, 2009 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Lee T.

I have been watching soaps for years ..I have my favorite s and it is because of the actors and their characters. I watch GH for Sonny Corinthos! Maurice Benard is an actor of caliber . He is a charismatic man and he infuses all that is best of himself into his character. Sonny is stimulating, a man of substance , intrigue, passion and desire. He is a good man who is flawed and he is very sexy! The mob background on GH is not brutally violent . It is a backdrop into why and how Sonny was lured into the mob and why he cannot leave. Sonny is feared, admired and desired. He is irresistible..and he makes GH a must watch soap!

On the other hand I think that the soap actors contracts in some instances are very imbalanced. They can fire an actor when ever no matter the contract but the actor can't just up and quit without being sued? Even though the actor has been promised exciting things about their story they sometimes write the actors character into a corner and then fire them ..that is the politics of soaps . And that is sadly unfair. If Maurice were to leave General Hospital many of his fans will leave the show with him because we watch for him. The name of the show doen't matter to us but the characters DO!

October 12, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Sherry

I have been watching ABC soaps since I was a kid during summers and everyday once the VCR was born. I DVR my soaps and catch them after work or on the weekend. I've dropped AMC because the stories are so stale and they never keep a good couple together. I would be really disappointed to lose OLTL or GH after over 35 years invested in the shows.

Someone mentioned too much Teen/Tween storylines. I think the teen stories have always been a part of these shows. I loved Laura and Scotty on GH when I was a teen. I think its great to actually show the child/teen characters instead of them disappearing when they are 5 or 6 to come back in a few months as a 20 yr old.

I think Soaps tend to drag out a story too long. Or they start a storyline but it doesn't take off and they drop it... and then the little tidbits of information they fed to you... leaves you wondering if it will pop up later.

Sorry to see Sarah Brown leaving GH – Claudia is one of my fave characters. B&B fans watch out... you've got a powerhouse heading your way!!

October 12, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Berta

I have to agree I have been watching soaps for over 20 years, my grandmother got me watching stories since I was a little girl. I understand the frustration as well. I have only watched ABC Soaps just recently started watching The Young and Restless they need to leave these actors alone. They are moving All My Children letting go of so many actors and actresses that is not a good sign at all.

October 12, 2009 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  19. dinah

Loved soaps all my life and I hate what's is going to happen!!

October 12, 2009 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Candace

I would watch 100 soap operas over a single reality show. Until last fall I hadn't watched soaps for 10 years or so due to my work schedule. But thanks to my trusty DVR I learned I can record every Y&R without missing a scene. (And it's funny that they say soaps are dying but many of my friends are beginning to do the same as me and actually start watching again). This allows me to avoid watching a single star dance, and scores of regular people bicker, gossip and cheat on prime time television. The hell with believable – I'll take the fantasy of soaps! And I didn't think I cared that much about Victor – but he MAKES the show. He has worked for 29 years. Is Sony and the executives also taking a pay cut? I doubt it. If Y&R loses Victor, I'm boycotting it!

October 12, 2009 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  21. D. Lockhart

Shame on you Sony,

Do you think we will continue to watch the Young & The Restless without Victor Newman or Katherine Chancellor? The answer is no! The storylines are getting so far out there that they cannot be made to even be believable. Sony, you are taking a bad risk!

October 12, 2009 at 3:32 pm | Report abuse |
  22. DBG

I agree with all of the other viewers that are lifetime fans of Y&R....
    There is no Y&R without Victor. What would be the purpose of watching the show when he leaves? I understand there are other characters but none like Victor Newman....
    I'm so upset that he is leaving the show.

October 12, 2009 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  23. unknown

Please leave Victor alone and pay him his money and let him stay on the show.If he leaves I will not watch the show anymore.Let Sharon and Nick get back together.

October 12, 2009 at 3:17 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Linbel

I have been watcing Y&R since I was a kid. Eric B. has been a mainstay of the show for as long as there has been a Y&R. The storylines between he and Jack have been some of the best. If the execs decide not to renew the contract then they are difinitely making a huge mistake. If he plan is to replace the him with the Adam character then there is another big mistake. Adam is totally a misfit to the story, as well as the Ashley. On a more serious note, if a person's contract is only upheld onesided then what's the point in signing a contract? Keep Eric B. on the show and go back to the types of stories that fans can relate to and have meaning, then the Y&R will difinetly live a long life.

October 12, 2009 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  25. dee

It is a business, and there is only so much money to go around, contracts have always had an option to be picked up or dropped, the difference is at option time they are using it to renegotiate salaries downward with some of the big names. It is reality that there is not the money there once was. That said, some of the network people, in particular Brian Frons at ABC, seem to be doing what they can to kill the genre.

October 12, 2009 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Kelli

Y&R will not be the same without Victor. He is the show! Networks need to think about why the show is a fave and not so much the bottom line when making these decisions. I wonder how long Y&R will last without him.

October 12, 2009 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  27. CHOCOLATE

I am furious that Victor is leaving. Hell i haven't had a chance to break him off proper yet. It's bad enough you killed off sexy Brad, then his daughter. What's really going on? If you are killing off all the cast because of budget. Please start with Abby, Eden, Phyllis, Gloria, and Jeff. That should free up plenty of money to keep Victor. If Victor leaves, I'm out also. I have watched this show with my grandmother since i was a toddler and without Victor there is no Y & R.

October 12, 2009 at 2:11 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Diane

This is just down right greet if they allow Eric to go

October 12, 2009 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Shannon

Let me just say... you arent alone. Many, & when I say many I mean millions, are right there with you.
    I love soaps... love the drama of it all. I cried when Guiding Light turned off their light. However, I was terribly disappointed in the show when they did a storyline a few years back that utterly turned my stomach. I had a hard time getting back into the show after that. Yet, I did turn it back on after a couple of years & watched it slip into the night. I wont go into detail about what made the rest of turn it off... that is obvious.
    The biggest turn off for a fan is when the shows refuse to complete a story or write a story that makes sense to the viewer. So many things are left open... to never be addressed again or they simply drop the ball & fulfill personal agendas. These shows dont exist for the production teams or companies at large, they exist for us. So they need to treat me like a valued customer & fulfill the request of the fans.
    A couple of shows are doing well... while at least four are loosing their footing. One in particular was a front runner... now to only find itself either at the rear of the pack or somewhere in the middle. It is sad... & is distressing that one day I will come home to see it replaced with more game shows, talk shows, or some lame reality show.
    I love some reality TV... but not enough to have them replace soaps.
    Thanks for your article.

October 12, 2009 at 1:59 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Kristina

The problem I have with soaps is that the writing has not been what is once was. I have not watched GH since December because of the stories they are telling. It seems they are recycling their stories.

October 12, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Linda

From a soap opera actor's perspective, and the thing that Eric Braedon has been vocal about, the contract has always been weighted AGAINST the actor. Whereas the actor can't violate the terms of his/her contract, the studio has the right to fire actors within the contract's 13-week cycles. But now the studios are asking actors to re-negotiate contracts within the cycles, so a 1-year contract is worthless to an actor.

From a soap viewer's perspective, I agree that one of the things killing soaps are the endless plots. In an age of short attention spans, storylines need to be tighter. But we also need more of a commitment from the studios to honor the characters and their history.

October 12, 2009 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Shari

You lost me when you said Sonny and Carly were your favorite Supercouple. There's nothing super about those two, and the ruination of General Hospital began when Sonny Corinthos was elevated and treated as though he were a hero and the police of Port Charles were the buffoons. They need to change the show to General Mob and stop pretending.

October 12, 2009 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Lynne

I have watched Yand R from day one in 1973. No other show compared to it. It has been the top rated soap for so long now it's hard to remember when it wasn't. For the last few years it seems as if the writers have been deliberately trying to ruin the characters and the show's long rich history. Maybe they didn't do their homework where history was concerned. maybe they just didn't give a d...
    The actors on Y+R are some of the best. Peter Bergman, Eric Braeden, Michelle Stafford, Melody Thomas Scott, Jeanne Cooper, the list goes on and on. watch a scene with any of them and it will raise an emotion of some kind in you guaranteed . Why Sony wants to mess with their sucess is beyond all rational thinking. More money for the suits?? Are the suits That out of touch with the fan base??? Can they READ?? Are they aware of the new fans who hear talk of Victor and Jack and want to check it out?? maybe it is on DVR ...but viewers none the less. How about viewers around the world?? Not enough money for you Sony?? Stop taking the show to the dark side..the story lines are out of touch with the show. No wonder the ratings have dropped so in the last year. The Execs are tone deaf to the audience and the history of the show. DO YOUR HOMEWORK PEOPLE!!
    Treat the cast ( you are blest to have them stay for so long ), the fans ( without them you'd have NO show ) and the basic history of Y+R with respect...RESPECT. As my father used to say " if you don't it WILL come back to Bite You".

October 12, 2009 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  34. AMC_GH_guy

If the networks were smart (yah, BIG if there, I know) they would acknowledge that network news has bitten the dust and just kill the dying beast. Let cable have it. That would clear the 6 – 7pm time slot. Initially use the 6 – 8pm, pre-prime time slot to re-air a few soaps. Invest the part of the money saved from the news to give the soaps a well needed shot in the arm. Let them build their new evening audience and eventually move them there. IMHO.

October 12, 2009 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Kenny

Good riddance, they are so long and drawn out, it was a media that was begging to be gotten rid of.

October 12, 2009 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  36. EC

I miss Guiding Light!!!

October 12, 2009 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Angela

I watch One Life to Live and General Hospital. The soaps are now focusing on the young actors, which make me sick! OLTL is all about Starr, Cole, Langston, Marko and Matthew. GH is so focused on Michael, Kristina, Molly and Morgan. I don't tune in to watch teenagers. The veterans don't have storylines like they used to. Thank God for DVR because I am able to zoom right through the teen drama!

October 12, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Michael

Daytime Dramas or their actors are not given the respect they deserve... they are great quality shows with some of the best actors out there... if only the networks gave their hearts and souls into marketing these great shows ( the same way the actors, writers and producers do ) than maybe more people would watch!!!!!

October 12, 2009 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Virginia Oravis

I tape ABC soaps every day, watch when I get home from work.
    Think all these reality shows are overdown and over blown. Enough is enough with the talk. reality and court shows. get some decent programming on especially on the weekend. Do not know how all the senior folks can watch TV when there is nothing on for them.
    Yesterday, (Sunday) afternoon TV was so BORING!
    Keep all our soaps, that is the only worthwhile tv watching duirng the day.

October 12, 2009 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  40. soaplover

It appears that networks plan to kill off soaps to then turn around and give us such reviting talk shows by washed-up actors/actresses like Bonnie Hunt. Sure soap operas are not going to make any of us brain surgeons, but the escape for that hour (however absurd the storyline is) is really what people look for. And I don't think that's something you can find with a boring talk show.

Carly #2 was the worst Carly.

October 12, 2009 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  41. robert

I can't believe CBS would let Braeden go! CBS EXECS are not the brightest!!! I think they do it on pupose to destroy the show to make room for other possibilities. Guiding Light was a great show at one time, but over the years too many popular characters left the show due to money, which doomed the show. LEAVE OUR SHOWS ALONE OR ELSE WE'LL ALL SWITCH TO CABLE AND WATCH YOUR CHANNEL BURN IN FLAMES!!

October 12, 2009 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  42. DEB

I hope if Eric Braeden Leaves they will replace him with another Victor. If no Victor no Y&R

October 12, 2009 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Shannon

Carly and Jax are my favorite couple. Sonny is so annoying I can't stand him with anyone.

October 12, 2009 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  44. B. L. Westbrook

I like just about anything Mr. Braeden has ever done. I particularly like his portrayal of the Rommel-like character in the sixties show THE RAT PATROL. If you've never seen it, check out HANS GUDGEST (spelling?) in that. Pretty daggone great!!!

October 12, 2009 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Karen McCausland

I too cannot believe Eric Braeden is gone. He is Victor Newman. I simply cannot see another actor in that part & Y & R needs to do whatever is necessary to get him back. I understand pay cuts due to the economy but Y & R/Sony was totally sneaky in the way they went about it. I am still ticked off at Days for the firing of Diedre Hall & Drake Hogyston. I still miss them & always will. Mark my words, money will be the end of soaps as we know them.

October 12, 2009 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Mike A

Soaps are dying for the opposite reason from what many people here are suggesting:

They are dying because they retain the same characters, stories, and writers for years - or even decades - at the expense of new ideas, new trends, new energy, and younger, more relevant characters.

Victor Newman/Eric Braeden were fun to watch, but they should never have been developed as the centerpiece of Y&R at the expense of fresher and younger characters, stories, and writers. The same is true for Luke, Sonny, and many other mainstays of General Hospital. I was a huge fan of Luke and Laura in the 1980s. But c'mon, that was 30 years ago!!

Today's soaps in no way represent the fads and problems that people face today. When was the last time you saw a soap character twittering, networking, attending a rave, working in a modern office, coping with aging parents, or struggling with runaway credit, health-care and mortgage costs?

I'm fortysomething. The average viewer of a soap is in their 40s or 50s - that doesn't mean that soaps should pander to their viewers by retaining casts that are 60 years old, it means the opposite: Freshen up or die. Become relevant to teen-agers with DVRs, or get lost.

October 12, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Gail

I've also been a fan of Y&R for ages, and the show needs to get back to the basics–good storylines and our favorite characters. These days it is filled with boring new characters (Deacon, Mary Jane Benson, Mac, Nina's son.) and boring stories. Focus resources and stories on Victor, Jack, Ashley & Nicki, Phyllis & Nick, Chloe & Billy, Michael & Lauren, Neil, Lily & Cane. We hardly see any of the stars these days, just a lot of new second rate characters, and it's ruining the show. I DVR it also and am fast-forwarding thru 75% of the show lately.

October 12, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  48. JD

Soaps are losing more and more viewers each day. Soaps had their time before cable and all the available channels. Nowadays people have lost interest in them because they lead busy lives and they just don't want to commit and hour each day to a soap opera.

Back in the day a popular soap actor could keep fans watching a soap. It doesn't seem to be the case now. Days of Our Lives let Deirdre Hall go and the show didn't seem to feel any effect. Susan Lucci is now going to have to commute to Los Angeles to keep her job on All My Children.

The party is over for soap opera actors and I think that Eric Braeden is having trouble accepting that. People say they'll stop watching the show if he leaves but I don't believe them and neither do the producers of soaps. Otherwise they'd never let an actor go that way.

If he really wanted to keep his steady job he should have just taken the paycut. He's complaining about how the contracts aren't worth the paper they're signed on but somehow he had no trouble signing those same contracts for the last 30 years. Guess he didn't care until it caused him problems.

October 12, 2009 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Melanore

Victor is hot.

October 12, 2009 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Karen

I am a longtime soap watcher. Started with Dark Shadows in junior high. Then AMC along with the very beginning of Young and the Restless. I chose to stay with AMC. No vcrs back then.
    I having been taping all ABC shows. Not watching AMC for awhile. Storylines just so bad. I hope moving to LA make it watchable.
    Loving One Life to Live. This show never seems to get the credit it deserves.
    Love Laura Wright as Carly on GH. Carly #2 was the worst of all of them.

Keep ths soaps alive on Soapnet. They should add As the World Turns on their line up at night.

October 12, 2009 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Jarrad W

I will be sorely disappointed if the powers that be cannot reach a return agreement with Eric Braedan. "Victor" is a very important character to Y&R despite the character's recent antics. I have been a fan of the show since '76. I do believe if the character does not return the show will suffer greatly. A word to the wise at the networks (if there are any)...recasting "Victor" is not likely to work and will be resented by long-time fans.

October 12, 2009 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Andy

I too am a soap fan.I try to catch GH as often as possible and am sad to see Claudia is leaving the show soon.I was hooked on Santa Barbara in the late 80's and early 90's and still miss what's happening with Cruz and Eden, Gina,Keith,CC and the old crew.

October 12, 2009 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  53. mikey

I'm not a fan of soap operas, but in my defense i will say this though, i would rather get into them than rather having more and more "reality shows" i think they are phony and predictiable. I will admit I have seen a few episodes and I think that they keep the show edgy and up to date with times, with the superb storytelling and the cool plot turns, I can see these soap operas on the air for another 75 years if not more..

October 12, 2009 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Jane

Y&R lived on when Snapper left, they got a new Jill, and Cricket left. Victor will be back, as will Dru and Malcolm. Watch and see. I'm still loyal to Y&R, as you can see. Who remembers Snapper & Greg?

October 12, 2009 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  55. dee

This is an outrage. Eric Braeden is so important to Y&R. If he leaves, then I will be leaving with him and boycott all the products that sponsors the show. SONY – shame on you!!!!

October 12, 2009 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  56. R.Smith

I too have watched Y&R from the beginning and going so far as to
    schedule my classes in college to be able to watch with a room full
    of other fans. I don't believe in the double standard for contacts with
    these actors, but if it takes pay cuts to keep the soaps going then
    we all have to suck it up for the cause. I think the writers could come
    up with a character who is a long lost brother of Victor's who will have
    money of his own also and make Nikkie fall in love one last time. This
    story line could freshen up the show and keep our interest for many
    a more years. Please do not take away my Y & R!!!!!!

October 12, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  57. John

I've been watching "One Life to Live" for 30 years and still tape it, but I can usually skim through it in about 20 minutes tops. Why? Because years ago, the story was all about the people–and now the people are all about the story. The characters used to be so well-defined that the stories grew out of who they were; now, the writers seem to create plots and then hammer the characters into them. The soaps need to take a clue from the so-called "reality" shows, where so much of the story grows out of the characters' conflicts and interactions with one another. That's what soaps usedto be. But as long as they are being run by management types with no real interest in them, soaps will continue to die.

October 12, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Belinda

the show producers and such should listen to the publics appeal to keep Victor on the show....It is said "Customer is King" and we want Victor to stay on the show...hey...I know why don't they take a salary cut instead of asking these great actors and actress's to do such......bet they won't either~~

October 12, 2009 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Amy

Bring back Dark Shadows!

October 12, 2009 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  60. j williamls

I am a devoted fan of Y/R, Eric Braeden is the 'Main' character. Eeveryone that I know watches it, and when someone speaks of Y/R, Victor Newman is automatically named. I truly believe if he goes your rating will start to diminish, the show will eventually cancel. You may say well someone will take his place, with that being thought out or said, you are right if he were to expire suddenly, or could not continue because of reasons the viewers would accept. Again I ask, please try and work out an agreement the the two of you are pleased with. I record this SOAP everyday and would very disappointed if I could not tun into it. Think of the elderly, it's a form of 'company' for them to tune into the SOAPS each day.(my grandmother did for years before her passing, she loved Victor ) Think, if Victor Newman's 'character' is required, then it tells you something about his presence with the fans. let's keep Victor Newman on Y/R

October 12, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  61. judy

EB is not YandR. He is a part of an ensemble which tells a story. Everyone matters..Losing him is not a disaster. What is –are the s/l of late. This past month I have stopped watching as they are dark and not entertaining. EB thinks he is irreplaceable..no one is.

October 12, 2009 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Y & R fan

Eric Braeden and Melody Scott are the stars of Y & R. Without either of these 2, the soap will not be worth watching. This new plot line with Ashley is too far fetched, and now she is taking over the Newman ranch. Get real. Give Sharon her baby, get rid of Adam and Ashley needs to go.

October 12, 2009 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  63. KB

I have been watching Y&R for years and years – but like all of you, I *will* stop watching if they go through with eliminating the character of Victor Newman, as played by Eric Braeden. That is INSANE and will not stand, Sony Pictures. No one will put up with it.

October 12, 2009 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Betty

I can't believe there will be a show after Victor. I have watched Y&R since a teenager which would be about 30 years. The stories are nuts at times but I unwind every night with my VCR and Y&R. I just recently figured out how to watch it on the internet because I can't stand to miss it. I "HATE" reality TV shows and there doesn't seem to be much on TV to watch anymore. Eric Braeden has been an awesome actor all these years. Whose next? Katherine Chancellor?

October 12, 2009 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Carmen

I have been a GH fan since I was 13 and I'm in my mid-30s now. GH recently almost lost a longtime cast member in Steve Burton (Jason Morgan) during contract negotiations but in the end I believe I saw that he understood the current economy and took a pay cut. If Steve Burton were to leave, there goes the neighborhood. Problem with soaps now compared to the early 80's is that there are no more super-couples, there are the no on locations shots (GHers recall the Aztec Princess storyline) and the even scarier part is that they seem to be focusing more and more on the teenage/tween storylines which quite honestly I could care less about.

October 12, 2009 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Tiffany

I am completely outraged that Y&R would let one of the most beloved charasmatic characters on daytime tv leave the show. I am really consdering not watching Y&R anymore after this.

October 12, 2009 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  67. lmb

Soap fans are loyal and die hard. It would be a big mistake replacing soaps with yet another talk show or worst yet, another fake reality show. I love my soaps and DVR them, as well. I am going to miss Dr. Joe Martin and Zach on AMC. I am also going to miss Victor on Y&R. It is crazy that the networks would rather throw money at the revolving doors they have on programing instead of investing in shows that have solid fan bases. Stop trying to fix what isn't broken.

October 12, 2009 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  68. cj

i have watched the young and the restless for so many years and for victor (eric braeden) to leave the show will be sorely missed as he was a major reason for watching....his character is great...so please keep him on....

October 12, 2009 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Bobby

Y&R is not Y&R if Mumbles (Jack Abbott's affectionate name for Victor Newman) isn't around. They might as well go and kill off Katherine Chancelor again!

October 12, 2009 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  70. rogernet

Pay Victor to stay or you can forget about being #1 show if he goes. He is such a key character on the show I can't believe you would even consider letting him go. He goes and I stop watching and I've been watching since the show started.

October 12, 2009 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  71. JEM

I love AMC and OLTL but the problem with soaps is that story lines seem to go on forever. By the time a killer is revealed or a verdict is handed down, I've figured it out on my own so there's no surprise. It also seems like the writers for these soaps are not long-time fans of the show. If they were, they'd know the importance of some of the older characters.

October 12, 2009 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Bunny

AMEN. Give people what they want and they will watch as they always have before. What we "get" to see today is not nearly the quality of WRITING that there was in the past.

The ACTORS are as good or better, than they ever were.

October 12, 2009 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  73. debbs

Brittany, I also record my "stories" while I'm at work. (Y&R, B&B, ATWT, and DAYS) If they let Eric walk, they'll be making a huge mistake! I can tell you that I certainly won't clutter up my DVR with the game shows or whatever junk they come up with to fill the space if the soaps are allowed to wither away.

October 12, 2009 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Diana

I was a Guiding Light fan for over 40 of their 72 years and I miss it terribly. However, I do understand that Soaps just don't have the draw they once had.

In today's generation, they unfortunately have to compete with reality television that displays for all the world to see the overly dramatic private lives of a bunch of overindulged housewives (and how are they 'real housewives' when they aren't even married???) because let's face it, most of our lives are so normal and mundane that these women and their obvioulsy put on misery are entertainment...I personally opt for watching movies on Lifetime now as I could care less what Lisa's big secret is or what Jon and Kate are up to other than exploiting their beautiful children for a buck!

October 12, 2009 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Tim

No more Victor Newman? Shame on Y&R!

October 12, 2009 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Jeremy

Networks are making so many mistakes that push fans away. I have started avoiding new programs on network TV because of the number of times I get into a new show and it's cancelled. No closure, never finishing the story. Shows I liked that were left unfinished. Some end with a season cliffhanger, some end midseason, and they never finish a story. How many times can a channel do that to you before you start avoiding that channel? I have two network stations that I have removed from my channel lineup. I don't even see an ad for a new show on those stations now. I'm sick of reality TV and unfinished stories.

October 12, 2009 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  77. jp

I am too a soap fan – GH OLTl, and AMC. I first watched GH when I would be home sick from school and my mom was watching. I saw the first OLTL the day it replaced Dark Shadows. I would miss these if they went away – I also DVR and watch over the weekend. It is such a shame we don't have long term characters like Erica, Joe Martin, Luke, Vicki anymore...

October 12, 2009 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  78. James

I read an article the other day saying that soaps were loosing out because of reality TV becoming the new soap, and I think that comparison is bad. Reality TV airs during prime time television when there are more viewers at home available to watch. If you consider Desperate Housewives to be a primetime soap opera, which I think is, you’ll see that they’ve done great in the ratings battle.

The Network execs need to realize things have changed and more people have had to work during the daytime. That doesn’t mean that you end daytime soap operas that means you have to change with the times. Still have daytime soap operas, but learn from what the print media failed to learn until it was late. You have to cut costs and use the technology to your advantage. Instead of having your own little advertisements at the bottom of the screen for what Joe said some new series premiere that will probably flop, sell that to advertisers, so the people who use DVR will see a small but unobtrusive notice about the products that are sponsoring the shows. Promote your on-demand material for people and allow your advertisers who sponsor the show to also have stuff on your website and during the full episode viewers online.

Bottom line is you can expect a daytime soap to compare in ratings to a primetime reality show when primetime TV has way more potential viewers compared to daytime.

October 12, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  79. M

Unfortunately with the economy the way it is, people have had to take pay cuts across America in order to save their jobs and their co-workers jobs. Hollywood should not be an exception. I understand that a contract should be binding but there are exceptions.
    But, what is Y&R without Eric Braeden? I think it will eventually have the same fate as Guiding Light without him.

October 12, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  80. PAHamlin

Amen Sister! I have been watching All My Children since it began in 1970. My Grandmother and I used to watch together. Please don't mess with a good thing!! Soaps are my 1 hr. of escape from a hard day at work. (i also record on my DVR)

October 12, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Cheri C

Wow. I watched these soaps during my summer vacations, and then as an adult that worked swing shift or graveyard. Last week I was helping my Mom and stepfather, and had the amazing, though strange, time of watching the old shows with them, and recognizing so many of the now older people in them. Victor gone? That is almost impossible to imagine, though he was waiting for a heart transplant... I know my mom will be heartbroken. There are many out there to whom these soaps are their only friends, their lives. Sad I know, but true. When they are taken off the air, people grieve like loved ones have died. I tip my hat to an era that was part of those "golden" summer years of youth. May they find a way to continue the tradition, in the new age of today.

October 12, 2009 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  82. mcats

I too am a soap fan...for many years... I remember watching with my grandmother back in the 60's. Guiding light, Edge of Night etc... but i have become an ABC soap fan.. I too DVR all my 'stories' ..i went to supersoap weekend in Orlando all but 4 years... It's aggravating and annoying what TV Execs are doing ... the writers haven't a prayer and the actors less than a prayer against them.... I agree ..stop messing with my soaps... Watching my stories nightly helps me level out my intense daytime professional job .. I do contract negotiations & legal contracts all day long and it does amaze me that the actors are legally bound to the contract but the network can fire you in a blink of an eye... for something like illness, not accepting pay cuts etc.....this isn't right...and I really don't want any more talk shows or reality on shows on TV.... i want entertainment! Maybe the advertisers will get the message if we stop buying their products...........

October 12, 2009 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  83. Verna

Victor (Y&R), Zach (AMC) Dr. Joe Martin (AMC) all going away!! Who's next?? C'mon producers/sponsors, pay them what they want or the entire shows are circleing the drain....... Soaps are a way of life for lot's and lot's of people (Yes – I said people – I know lot's of men who watch it as much as women!! Thank you Soapnet!!). They keep us from having to face REALITY for a couple of hours per day!! I don't think ANY of these REALITY shows will ever survive the 30+ years that all of these SOAPS have been on the air.

October 12, 2009 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  84. DZ

I have been watching Y&R since I was a kid and it's what has kept me going for the past year as I've been searching for a job after being laid off! It's the best place to find drama, comedy, excitement, lust and crazy story lines all in one show. I will, however, give up watching Y&R unless they put Eric Braedon back on the show. I gave up watching other soaps when they started replacing their regulars. The shows were just never the same. Is that really what Y&R management wants – to go the way of Guiding Light because they were too greedy to keep their regulars and watchers happy? AND please do not try to increase revenue by adding more commercials..

October 12, 2009 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  85. LINDY

Don't think Y&R can survive without "Victor." I will miss Guiding Light also. I suppose all the junk "soaps" they are showing at night are getting the good salaries.

October 12, 2009 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  86. Anonymous

The simple answer to this argument is that even the writers have no motivation to try.

How often have you seen the same story regurgitated with three or four characters on the same show at the same time?

If the writers come up with stuff that'll get people's attention and interest–like the infamous "Marlena possessed by Satan" plot that's become Days of our Lives history, more people will watch.

October 12, 2009 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  87. Joe

I'm a recent big fan of General Hospital. I started watching it about two years ago, and I've seen every episode since I've been hooked on.

I think the biggest problem with daytime Soaps is the network executives. How many times do you see ABC or some other network showing constant promos for some new series coming out for the fall just to watch it flop and get cancelled? I bring up this point because they hardly promote their own soap operas. I’ve never seen an ad space for GH or any other soap other than during day time soaps. Advertise your own products during different time slots during the day and at night.

So instead of using so much time to continue to play the same promo for some new fall series that will most likely get cancelled use some of that time and promote a good story line from one of your soaps.

October 12, 2009 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  88. laura

I think that Soaps should become like the soaps from Latin America ... it has a beginning , a middle and an ending.

72 years is way to long for a soap .... and for an actor to play the same role over and over and over ... that is to much.

October 12, 2009 at 11:49 am | Report abuse |
  89. itwirl

The network execs are really dumb. They make the stupidest decisions all the time. Really, I wonder how they land these jobs. I could do a better!

These morons cancel shows that people love, and keep introducing horrible replacements. It makes no sense. They are totally out of touch with the viewer.

I've been watching TV for 40+ years, and no one ever asked my opinion so I don't know what the ratings are all about. Clearly, no one is rating the representative viewing public.

October 12, 2009 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  90. Gail

Come on CBS- without Victor the Y&R won't be worth watching-
    Victor Newman.... Victor Newman.... He is the man

October 12, 2009 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  91. Sonja H

I watched the very first episode of Y&R and have been a fatihful viewer for all these years. If Eric Braeden is forced out because of unfair business practices,,,then I will no longer watch Y&R nor will I buy their sponsored products.

October 12, 2009 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  92. Terri

Yes it is true that soaps today do not have the appeal that they use to, one reason being that today's woman works outside the home. That is unlike our mothers whose job was in the home and did her ironing or cooking while she could listen to the soap if not watch it. Sadly I too am a "soap fan" and feel the loss that so many do when a fan favorite leaves the soap. The art of telling the daytime story is dying and this is truly sad.

October 12, 2009 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
  93. Becky

I don't watch soaps anymore. Why...because the writers don't write anything new anymore...it's the same old story, boy meets girl, boy and girl get together, boy and girl get torn apart, boy and girl reunite, over and over and over. The writers have been doing a huge disservice to the actors for years and I belive it all started when the networks began insisting on the writers writing for the young viewers and concentrating on the "newest" cute face.

October 12, 2009 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  94. Peg

I was sad enough when Another World was no more. Next, The Guiding Light. Now Eric Braeden is basically being shown the door by SONY. What will they replace soaps with, more tired talk fests and bad reality TV, just because it is cheap to produce? Sure seems that way. Clearly no contract is worth the paper it is printed on. Melody Scott Thomas left for a few months and has now returned. Previously, Eric Braeden was allowed to break from the show to make films, now they think it wise to write him off. I have written to, emailed etc SONY as well as CBS Daytime. Why do I think if William Bell was still alive this would not be happening??!!?? This just stinks. I swear these decision are now made by bean counters and "suits". GRRRRRR!

October 12, 2009 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  95. ann

I watch days of our lives. I was really upset when they got rid of John and Marlana and then Steve and Kayla!! Whos next Bo and Hope! The show is nothing without these days veterans!

October 12, 2009 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  96. b

When Victor leaves, I am done. He is the reason I watch the soaps. Do what you have to do Eric, you have to live too!!!!

October 12, 2009 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  97. Mary Spinelli

I agree with all of it except that Carly #3 is my favorite!

October 12, 2009 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  98. Teresa In Texas

Perhaps it is the Network Executives that should be removed, replaced, or have their salaries decreased. After all, I doubt any loyal soap fans will miss them. I agree with the statement, " Don't mess with our soaps." There are few pleaures in life these days with the economy the way it is. For many people this is their only get away.

October 12, 2009 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  99. Nakina

I have been a fan of Y & R since I was a little girl. I hate Victor is leaving because without Victor there is no Y & R. Even more sadly the storyline has become SICKENING. You had a woman walking around with a big belly thinking she is pregnant and a baby is moving inside of but she had a miscarriage months ago. And Adam.....where do I even begin? The show is Crazy! The writer needs medication! Once Victor is gone I am done.

October 12, 2009 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  100. ketielynn

While Soaps have the most loyal fans (I mean who else can say they have watched a show for 30+ years) I do not understand the problem. You would think advertisers would flock to Soap time slots. I watch General Hospital & One Life to Live and have for 30+ years (thank God for Soapnet at night replaying them). I would be very disappointed to say the least if either was canceled. The rumors to that extent in regards to OLTL have made me very nervous.

October 12, 2009 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  101. Ray Arthur

I'm not exactly their key demographic: 58 year old male. But, I've been a Y & R fan for 30 years. If Braeden goes, I'm going with him.

October 12, 2009 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  102. Tray

The moment Victor Newman is written off Y & R. I am writing off the show. Victor is such an important part of Y & R. And as far as I am concern there is not show without VICTOR NEWMAN

October 12, 2009 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  103. Lily Drager

I'm a huge Y&R fan and been watching since high school when I came home for lunch. I am so miffed with the "Victor" situation that I wrote to the network and the show. Trust me, if Victor doesn't return, this is it for me and a lot of my friends who are huges fans. I think the show will die a slow boring death without that character. What a shame.

October 12, 2009 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  104. ZevaMoye

How in the world can they get rid of Victor Newman? He is the focal point of the story. They killed off Brad Carlton, now he is playing a bad buy on Bold & Beautiful! Y&R and B&B are the same company! One person leaves, goes on the other show that comes on right after each other. It is soooo stupid. I love Y&R! It will be a sad day when Victor leaves. Sony doesnt realize how many people will stop watching after this.

October 12, 2009 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  105. Chris

The final eppy of Guiding Light was like the loss of a friend. I have been watching soaps since I was 7 or 8 ( I am 40+today). The good old days of the Edge of Night and Another World seem so long ago.
    Most soaps today lack "character", not characters, but character that draw viewers in, make you care and bring you back Monday thru Friday.

October 12, 2009 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  106. Debra R

After Victor goes...who will we have to hate? No one else has the weight to take on Jack....c'mon!!!!!

October 12, 2009 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
  107. Kat

Not a fan of American soaps, but lived abroad for years and got hooked on Britain's "EastEnders"...sure do miss all those actors. It was so delightful, with love, sex, murder, kidnapping, you name it. The Brits have a whole different view on the way they approach such things. I loved their sit com humor also.

October 12, 2009 at 12:05 am | Report abuse |
  108. ducdebrabant

The contracts tie the actors down for multiple years, and the actors can't break them. They're committed. The network, however, can fire you for refusing to take a cut in your negotiated pay. That's what happened with Eric Braeden. Where else does a contract bind only one of the parties?

October 11, 2009 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  109. michael gale

I will defend the future of soaps. I am not a watcher here but as an english immigrant I have seen soaps dominate TV in other parts of the world. One of the keys here is that the current portfolio of soaps struggles to sustain social relevance. They are mostly locked into a diminishing population of stay at home individuals. There are other distractions now that can be used and I feel that the smart move is to kill a lot of what is out there and re-invent the format.

October 10, 2009 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  110. DFWDelia

It's sad with what is happening to soaps. I used to love "Another World" a long time ago but it disappeared. I hardly watch anymore because I can't keep up with the changes.

October 10, 2009 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  111. Ovayu

I am also a big fan of the soaps. But alas the one thing that is apparent in this economy is that the times are a changing. Soaps don't have that draw or appeal to the newer generation of viewers. If someone big leaves that usually means that soaps will soon be losing more big names and eventually be gone. I also feel we will soon lose them all due to the viewers wanting more talk shows and reality television. Like I said before "The times are a changing".

October 9, 2009 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |
  112. c

i can NOT believe that victor( eric braeden) is leaving...i remember watching soaps as a kid( on summer vacation, during the day) and i remember seeing him... i agree, remove a familiar face, and what motivation do viewers have to keep watching?

October 9, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |