October 8th, 2009

Dancers face the axe in Las Vegas

It was a brutal beginning to the Las Vegas callbacks last night on "So You Think You Can Dance," as many a favorite from the auditions were sent packing, cutting 152 dancers down to 77 by the end of the show.

Vegas judges

Thomas Hamilton, who had one of the more memorable stories - wanting to find a better life outside his small hometown of Scottsdale, Georgia - was one of the first to get cut after forgetting his routine. In desperation, he proceeded to climb up some metal bars on the side of the stage. We didn't have to hear it from executive producer/judge Nigel Lythgoe to know he was on his way out.

Partners Willem DeVries and Jacob Jason were also split up by the end of the first day in Vegas, with Willem having to go it alone. After one day, 41 dancers were already out of the competition.

Hip-hop choreographers Tabitha and Napoleon taught the dancers a routine but some who showed promise early on struggled to follow it. B-boy Jean Lloret, who prompted screams of amazement from the judges in Boston, just couldn't keep up with choreography and was soon sent home. The sister of season five's Caitlin, Megan, also got cut, something many viewers probably didn't catch thanks to rapid-fire editing.

Billy Bell took an unfortunate elbow to the nose while practicing his routine and missed crucial rehearsal time while recovering offstage. Thanks to a quick cramming session from his partner, however, he made it through to the next round. Not so lucky, however, were Teddy Tedholm, best known for his outrageous pants, "New Orleans bouncer" Shelby "Skip" Skipper and John Litzler who failed to survive a "dance-for-your-life" solo.

Finally, there was the unkindest cut of all, Ryan Kasprzak, whose tap-dancing and choreography skills earned him (and his brother, Evan) a big fan-base over the last couple of seasons. He showed early signs of struggling through the hip-hop routine and Nigel theorized that he hadn't kept up with rehearsing over the months that his brother was on the show. Sadly, he wasn't much better at picking up the ballroom choreography, and with a heavy heart, the judges said goodbye to him.

It's going to be tough going through a Kasprzak-less season six, but I still have hope that a tapper might make it through to the top 20, plus contemporary dancer Nathan Trasoras, married ballroom dancers Ryan and Ashleigh Di Lello, and humorous ballet dancer Ellenore Scott all still appear to be in the running.

Were you heartbroken to see Ryan get eliminated, or have you had enough Kasprzak for one season? Who are you looking for to make the top 20?

1. luggage bags

I'm definitely happy that I found your website, it had basically everything as far as the information i was looking for

June 30, 2010 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. ab

RYAN was the unkindest cut of ALL if there is no RYAN will watch something else even a ugh cartoon.

October 10, 2009 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  3. ATH

SYTYCD!!!! This is the best reality dance show there is... I am glad Ryan is gone because there are so many other dancers that are better and more deserving... I am glad he did not get pushed through just because of his fans and his brother.

I am glad that I didn't have to what a whole year to watch the show again and I hope there is another one soon after this one... Dancing with the Stars does it and that so is not half as good as SYTYCD!!!!

October 9, 2009 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nicole

I wonder where the red headed girl from last season's auditions is. (one the whos roommate got picked instead of her in Season 4) She is AMAZING!! I would love to see her again, and see her finally make it to the top 20.

October 9, 2009 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nancy

Jakob Karr!

October 9, 2009 at 6:28 am | Report abuse |
  6. T

What happened tot he guy named "Sex"? Did he show up this year?

October 9, 2009 at 5:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. GA_girl

I agree with Jason...a Mary"less" show would be AWESOME! She is SO annoying, that my husband will leave the room when I watch this show. He can't stand her. Even when watching alone, I tend to mute the TV while she is speaking. UGH! Get someone else to help judge.

October 9, 2009 at 2:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. Gwendolyn

I agree with so many of the comments already posted. I really did enjoy the blonde ballroom dancer – is she really from Russia? Missed that but she is great. The married couple – ballroom – yes she is annoying with the faces :-) and she heard about it. It is OK Ryan got the boot. He was not so good and should not be moved on just because .... ! Russell was awesome and did catch on to the other style during the choreography. The auditions are certainly a bit on the dreadful side but now on to Vegas. Hope they get it right and have a variety and not mostly contemporary. Mix it up and that will be more entertaining. Yes, Mary Murphy is really irritating with the continued screaming. Calm down Ms. Murphy! LOL

October 9, 2009 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  9. JDW

The krumper Russell Ferguson killed it! He was my favorite from Boston, so I'm sooo happy he's doing well. I'll be surprised if he's not in the top 20.

October 8, 2009 at 9:17 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Zoey

What's with that one female judge who talks through her teeth? I think it's kinda creepy, because I don't watch the show really. Srry bout the random comment but whatev...

October 8, 2009 at 8:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Patrick

I'm digging the Russian ballroom dancer. Hope she goes far.

October 8, 2009 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Steph

I am okay with not having Evan's brother on the show. Quite frankly, I didn't think Evan was all that talented. I think he only stayed on the show for so long because of his HUGE fan base.

October 8, 2009 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Jeff

Great show. So many talented dancers!

October 8, 2009 at 5:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Marnie

The married couple are really annoying for some reason. Mostly her I guess, with those faces she makes. Ugg.

October 8, 2009 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. tom

Fine with Ryan going home. Just didn't seem to have it. Nathan and Ellenore stood out as early favorites for me. Auditions getting on my nerves...glad it's moving on to top 20.

October 8, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Jason

Well, I hated to see Ryan K go but not surprised with the judges they have. SYTYCD needs to have a shake up on the panel. A great help would be to get rid of Mary Murphy and her screaming....thats enough to make you want to quit watching the show. And the way this season has started so far....it won't be a great loss to miss it.

October 8, 2009 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Tex

so happy for a "Kasprzek-less season" – Evan was nearly the Sanjaya of last season, and Ryan was just...ugh...even more annoying. Great tappers, but not up to par on anything else. So many better dancers. Looks to be an awesome season.

October 8, 2009 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Fred Evil

I can't believe people waste their lives watching this show....

Go out and dance yourselves!! Enjoy YOUR life, not spectating someone else's!!!

October 8, 2009 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  19. DJ Johnson

I'm with Kirsten. Nigel DID say (I believe as part of saying goodbye to Evan during the finale) that there would be another Kasprzek in season 6. Well, there was. The audition shows. But that's not what Nigel wanted us to think, and it was pretty shifty of him to do that. It is a show, and you do have to promote it, but promote it honestly, will ya?

I had never seen dance before getting hooked on this show and, to a lesser extent, Dancing with the Stars (at least beyond watching the old MGM musicals), and now I'm hooked. I worry, however, that the judges do seem to be in love with contemporary dancers to a fanatical degree. They all spend an amazing amount of air time patting their own backs for bringing so many kinds of dance to the show, but for the most part they're doing so by having contemporary dancers perform other styles. Why not let us see more from people who are already good at those styles? Why, for example, show such a prejudice against Crump? Who says they won't be able to do other styles when given more than an hour to learn the routines? They need to get back to diversity or change the name of the show to "So You Think You're a Contemporary Dancer?"

October 8, 2009 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Lee Ann

I think Season 6 is happening too soon. You need time between the seasons to miss the competition and that feeling that you are so glad it is back and you can't wait to watch it. I feel this time like I couldn't care less about watching it – I've had my fill of dance routines just this past summer. Jeanine needs time to enjoy her thrown for a while!

October 8, 2009 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Nora

I'm very sorry Ryan isn't staying because I love his dancing, but I can understand why he was eliminated. There are some amazing dancers this year and the competition is going to be tough. Russell was phenomenal last night!

October 8, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  22. itwirl

Why don't these dancers take lessons in other styles of dance besides their own? Obviously, being able to learn anything is a major stepping stone to making the final – and yet – every season we see the same thing. All they have to do is go to a ballroom studio and offer to trade some time for lessons. All the schools would gladly give them training.

October 8, 2009 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Brenda

I hope they bring Ryan back for a special tap number. He also choreographed his brother Evan's audition. They should consider Ryan for a guest dancer or choreographer, just because of the fan base!

October 8, 2009 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Rachel

So glad Ryan got the axe. There was no more annoying and untalented contestant than Evan, and Ryan just promised more of the same. Nigel got this one right. Good riddance!

October 8, 2009 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Caren

Russell Ferguson the krumper! first solo in that style that I've ever liked. plus, if he picked up that much cha-cha in one hour with a good partner, who knows what he could do?

October 8, 2009 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  26. LiLa

I'm good with a Kasprzek-less season. Ryan just didn't deliver and there are so many other extremely talented dancers, there isn't room for a bad performance, let alone two.

October 8, 2009 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Kirsten

I, for one, was heartbroken. I cannot believe that Nigel made it sound like Ryan was a lock for top 20, just to get us all to watch. This season, is turning out to be pretty miserable for me.
    And I love how Mia's all like "Season 6 is going to blow season 5 out of the water". Yeah, it really wouldn't take much to do that if you really think about it. I wasted my summer watching countless contemporary dancers getting praised by Nigel while he was cutting down others. Case in point: Brandon redid his audition solo and got praised for it, Evan redid his and got raked over the coals for it.
    This year is turning out to be no different... only question is, how soon will it be that there are only contemporary dancers in the top 20? There have been more and more lately... and once that hapens SYTYCD can kiss its viewers goodbye.

October 8, 2009 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Kimberly

Ugh! I hate that I have a conflict on Wed nights and have been missing this season. Isn't there anywhere online I can catch espisodes?

October 8, 2009 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  29. maggie

molly sue! she was adorable and incredibly talented!

October 8, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |