October 7th, 2009

Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler: Trading Places

Last night I caught up with Gerard Butler and Jamie Foxx, the two big leading men of the upcoming thriller, "Law Abiding Citizen" at the red carpet premiere at Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood. I've been following both of their careers fairly closely and I don't think I've ever seen either in roles quite like the ones they have in this film.

Butler plays a vulnerable everyman whose life changes dramatically after his wife and child are brutally murdered. Foxx is the slick prosecutor who lets one of the suspects off on a light sentence in exchange for testifying against his partner in crime. I won't ruin it for you, but Butler's character is none too pleased about this...

I found out that there's a reason their characters are a little out of the norm for them: they pulled the old switcheroo. "We swapped roles," Butler reveals, "I was always [going to be] playing the other role and I said to Jamie, 'Do you want to play the prosecutor and I'll play the other one and he went, 'Yeah.' So the second we agreed on that, I actually went sh**, I don't know how to do this. I don't think I can pull this off. So there was that element that we were both out there a little lost."

Foxx was happy to make the switch and thinks it worked out especially well for Butler: "It gives him an opportunity to be vulnerable and also kick butt... I felt it was so right and we knew we made the right decision. When the trailer comes on, it looks like it's a romantic comedy because he's been doing those a lot, but then when that home invasion comes on, people sit up in their seats and they really get excited about it."

"Law Abiding Citizen" opens in theaters October 16th.

1. forex

Thank you for the good writeup. It in reality was once a amusement account it. Look complicated to far added agreeable from you! However, how could we keep in touch?

April 7, 2012 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. Renee

I absolutely love gerard butler and jamie foxx!!! On that note, Debra R. ARE YOU ON CRACK?!!
    Poor little Miley Cyrus, she took offense to a JOKE Jamie Foxx told, what's the big deal!! It's not like he called her the B word!! Besides Miley is a terrific little actress, not that great of a singer!

November 10, 2009 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  3. K. Brown

@ Debra R – "Jamie Foxx is a hateful man. He picked on Miley Cyrus. he is a racist. ICK!"

Who doesn't pick on Miley Cyrus! She's annoying to just about every ADULT I know. And I'm sorry but since when does picking on Cyrus quailify a person as a racist? If that's the case, I guess as a black woman I have to limit all my picking to those in my own race. Generally speaking, if you suck you suck... regardless of your skin color.

October 8, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. Johanna

i used to adore Matthew McConaughey until he started talking... I cant believe how moronic he is, its really shocking how lame he is... Now I adore Gerard Butler... He's definitely the new Matthew McConaughey...I will see anything that Gerard Butler is in...

October 7, 2009 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Vinnie

I agree it was wrong for Jamie to make the comments about Miley Cyrus, but to label him a racist? Seriously that is a stretch. It's a movie people. See it or don't see it, your choice but don't label people.

October 7, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Toya

To heather just as Dave said he will be on the cable and dvd version also ...that was just crazy to say...lol and Jamie is a great actor and so is Gerard this will be a good movie to see.

October 7, 2009 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LoveTV

I may check it out, don't know yet.

October 7, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. STS

Heather I'll make sure Jamie Foxx knows you hate him, I'm sure he is going to be really hurt that you are going to see his movie... thats too bad.

October 7, 2009 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Debra R

Jamie Foxx is a hateful man. He picked on Miley Cyrus. he is a racist. ICK!

October 7, 2009 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jacque

Heather, ask yourself if Jamie Foxx cares whether or not you like him. Get a Life!

October 7, 2009 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. oklahomagirl76

I like Jamie Foxx, and I am crazy about Gerard Butler, but I am not sure if I will go see this or not. I will probably wait for the reviews.

October 7, 2009 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  12. vbabe

I live in South Jersey and it's a short train ride to Philly where the movie was being shot, sadly I could never find where it was shooting, I really wanted to see Gerard Butler in person. He's sooo handsome!!

October 7, 2009 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. Dave

Heather;
    Jamie Foxx will be on the DVD and cable versions of the movie, too

October 7, 2009 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  14. heather

I LOVE GERARD BUTLER BUT CAN'T STAND JAMIE FOXX.
    I UNFORTUNATLY WILL NOT GO SEE THE FLICK BECAUSE OF FOXX.
    I'LL WAIT FOR DVD OR CABLE.

October 7, 2009 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |