October 7th, 2009

Double elimination on 'Dancing'

Tom DeLay isn’t exactly a celebrity outside political circles, but he was probably the most talked-about cast member of this season’s “Dancing With the Stars.”

(As in “Tom DeLay is going to do what?”)

Last night, the former House Majority Leader pulled out of the competition, saying he wouldn’t be able to continue because of painful stress fractures in both of his feet.

But DeLay wasn’t voted out of the show - in fact he wasn’t even in the bottom two and he actually turned out to be a decent dancer.

OK, the strange, strange sight of him gyrating to “Wild Thing” a couple of weeks back was a cringe-worthy moment - and we could have been spared the camera close-up that began that particular dance number - but DeLay seemed to get into the spirit of things.

His tango was quite good, except a stumble at the end which had him wincing in pain. And who else could have danced a politically inspired samba?

Despite DeLay’s decision to leave, the show continued the elimination last night and it turned out to be the end of the competition for actress Debi Mazar and her professional dancing partner Maksim Chmerkovskiy, who were voted off the show. (Not a complete surprise, but it seemed like they might last another episode.)

1. the best way to become pregnant

Nice blog right here! Additionally your website loads up fast! What web host are you the usage of? Can I get your affiliate hyperlink for your host? I want my site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

May 28, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dorothy

I love Donny Osmond, he is so cute, I hope he wins. He's got more personality than off the others put together. Leave Marie along, she really fell. That was not a stunt.

October 8, 2009 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Debra R

I have met Donny several times. He is a real person and he does NOT have a big ego. Actually he is very shy and over compensates.

Delay haters....leave the guy alone...what ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Are we still in the US? This show is NOT about anything but entertainment...if you cannot handle that then turn the channel.

October 8, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. T. G.

Bye bye, Delay! Hope to see you another day!

October 8, 2009 at 10:57 am | Report abuse |
  5. mary

li'l kim served her time.... delay won't have to.

October 7, 2009 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ray

Good!

October 7, 2009 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Diana

Sherry – some of these folks are not what I would call "stars" – more like the very, very bottom of the "D" list. Boring!

October 7, 2009 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Diana

I've quit watching the show this season. There is really no one who appeals to me or makes me want to watch unlike seasons past. It's a pretty boring crew this season.

October 7, 2009 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Alex

Debi and Maks were the lowest vote getters because people just don't vote for Maks. It wouldn't matter who his partner is – people just don't vote for that couple because he seems like such an arrogant jerk. (I said "seems," because I do not know the dude, he may be very nice in person)

October 7, 2009 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sherry

Most stars (singers, dancers, actors) at some point in their lives have had some type of dance lessons. Also, if you have natural rhythm, once you learn a dance, you make it your own. In saying this, the show is called Dancing with the STARS! No Dancing with the average joe!

October 7, 2009 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bob

Were they going to eliminate two this week?
    If not this will screw up the season's schedule.

Tom was a decent dancer for his age and bad feet but I am happy to see more of the mediocre dancers off the floor to make room for the great performers.

October 7, 2009 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Big Dawg 69

The person who complained about DeLay being a criminal I am sure didn't complain when Lil Kim competed right after getting out of jail.
    DeLay was the obligatory old person. They try to cover every possible demographic which is bad because it is called Dancing with the Stars not Pandering To The Masses with Has Beens and Never Was's. Rarely do they have a star–like Chloris Leachman said on the Bob Saget roast "Somebody punch me in the nose so I can see some stars!"
    They take people either you never heard of or never want to hear from again–I heard the big name next year is the guy from the Verizon Wireless commercials.

October 7, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Janet N

Tom was fun, entertaining and clearly enjoying himself. He was never convicted unless some stars from prior seasons (i.e., Lil Kim). (fyi – I am NOT a republican). Old folks need to relate to particpants on the show too or they might not watch. DWTS has always had one or two each season- Cloris, Jane, George, Steve, etc.)

I agree the singers who do music videos have a clear advantage, not only with their musicality and rythum, but most also had prior dancing experience (tap lessons, ballet lessons when they were kids), but every participant knows that when they sign up.

Its not the olympics – its a tv show for a "mirror ball trophy" – get a grip.

October 7, 2009 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. kd

Donny Osmond is far more 'cringe-worthy' than Delay. Hope he goes soon. He's creepy.

October 7, 2009 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. DJ Johnson

First of all, I begrudgingly admit DeLay improved as a dancer and showed some serious determination, if not good judgement, by dancing through some intense pain. I'll even say he seemed personable and even likeable on the show.

That being said, I'd like to point out - if you'll bear with me through an extreme comparison - that anyone can come on a show like that and be nice. Scott Peterson might dance well and seem like a hell of a guy, but you know what he did. Tom DeLay was one of the biggest republican bullies of the Bush years, and he abused his power and position regularly. Attempting to gerrymander the voting districts in Texas to assure republican victories was a deplorable move. He was up to his eyebrows in the Jack Abramoff scandal, and they might have thrown the favors for gifts case out of court, but I saw a lot of the paper trail while researching an article about that, so I can tell you it wasn't thrown out for lack of validity.

I know I should be able to separate the person from the performer on DWTS, but this is the one case where it's just been impossible for me. He can act kind and humble and aw shucksy all he wants, but I can't just forget all the images of the bully I saw abusing power for all those years. He never seemed very folksy then. I'm glad he's gone. Len leaves enough of a bitter taste without having to watch The Hammer, too.

October 7, 2009 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Laura

Does anyone seem to notice that there are more and more injuries as the seasons go on? Misty May-Treanor, Cristian de la Fuente, Tom DeLay? Do the celebs go through physicals before they start? If not, probably not a bad idea. As for Tom, actually all the stars except the singers/performers, I give them lots of credit for doing something so different and overcoming their fears. I don't think I could do it!

October 7, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  17. rankandfile

Didn't care much for Debi's attitude most of the time. Not sorry she's gone. I give Delay credit for going all out. Not a fan politically, but he did show a lot of class and had fun! I'm sorry he was too hurt to continue, but I know he wouldn't have lasted much longer. It's nice to know politicians can be pretty good people once you get to know them, especially out of the political arena. I enjoyed the red/blue dance - he had fun with it (why can't we????). I respect him for his efforts and perseverance.

October 7, 2009 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Susan Lewis

A cross between Beefsteak Charley and Pee Wee Herman, ewwwwww.

October 7, 2009 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Randy

It is sickening.
    Tom DeLay has committed so many crimes that,
    IF JUSTICE WERE DONE,
    he would get a life sentence in prison.
    For anyone disagreeing with me, you need to read up on the events surrounding him during the past decade.
    (He is not the worst, but people such as Dick Cheney and Karl Rove, deserve even harsher prison terms, but life in prison is in-effect the maximum.)
    Why the media would even consider Tom DeLay for something like "Dancing With The Stars" is absurd.
    Even people like Charles Manson and Ted Bundy didn't do as much ACTUAL damage to America, as a whole, as Tom DeLay.
    This is one horrid, terrible, despicable, rotten man.

October 7, 2009 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sean

The next person that spells 'ridiculous' with an 'e' will have their vowels confiscated.

That is all.

October 7, 2009 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Nancy

I can't watch this season because I could not stand to watch Donny Osmond (he was so over exposed when Marie was on, for too long in my opinion). So, I'll see ya next season.

October 7, 2009 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Susan

As much as I don't like Tom DeLay's politics, I was beginning to enjoy his dancing, and his great attitude. Sorry to see him go.

October 7, 2009 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Kathy A

I really don't think that policitcs or religion are part of dancing with the stars. Would you extremists say anything if Michelle O was on the show???

October 7, 2009 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  24. paul

You know, I only caught Tom Delay this past evening on DWTS while on holiday in Ireland (shown over here within a week of airing in the states) and I can say he was not that bad. For all our misgivings as Americans for this guy (well, some of us anyway), it takes a lot for anyone to get on national TV and dance if you are not used to dancing. So I congratulate him on his efforts, wish him luck with his recovery, and say THANKS for getting out of politics!

Way to go, Tom! And NO, to be a good dancer you DON'T have to become MORE PRISSY. You just have to practice. (I noticed the slag, Tom. Oh I did. LOL)

October 7, 2009 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  25. carki

Tom Delay totally blows. The man, in addition to being a weaseling crook, is also a birther. I'm suprised he didn't ask Cheryl Burke for her birth certificate and proof of citizenship. You know her tan is a little dark.

October 7, 2009 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Angie

I am a BIG fan of DWTS – but its not the same without Gilles Marini!
    No one can even come close the talent and magic he showed last season...

October 7, 2009 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Leo

All I can say is Chuck is the man, and out of everyone is putting aside pride as best as he can!

I am not a GOPer at all, but I do give props to Tom for trying. Working through with one stress fracture is no picnic. Hold your head up.

October 7, 2009 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Urs

Not surprised to see Deb go, talk about irritating and she can't dance. No surprise either to see Kathy Ireland gone so early, another one who couldn't dance. Never saw anything so stiff.....or so bad!!!!!!!
    Michael Irwin has got to go.............actually, this is one of the more disapponting seasons.
    And I hope Donny goes just because his ego is bigger than that phoney smile! What an idiot.......like Marie and her "fainting" stunt.
    Kelly, I am for you, cause you;re just to cute!

October 7, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Kevin

Good for Delay to get out there and in people's face. While there are only 2 types of politicians, the indicted and the yet to be indicted, I was glad to see that he refuses to hide after being the subject of a pure political hit that took 2 hand picked grand juries ... in liberal Austin Texas to finally indict him. Much worse characters are in Government right now... right Barbara Boxter, Harry Reid, Barney Frank, Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosiand on and on.....all of which have legal inproprieties in their baggage.

October 7, 2009 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Frank

Glad to see Debby go. She was foul tempered and hard on the eyes. I am betting her partner is relieved as well.

One more note. It's Michael Irvin.

October 7, 2009 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Lacey

I am sorry to see Tom Delay leave under these circumstances, he was very entertaining, a good sport, and he seemed to throughly enjoy himself. The prior ignorant negative political postings are absolutely uncalled for.
    As for Debbi, she was bound to be eliminated this week or next, but I am definitely going to miss Maks....love his sense of humor, not to mention his dancing moves.

October 7, 2009 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Randy

Some of you people are amazing. A man has the guts to take on a show like this and then dances with two broken feet until he just cant stand it anymore and somehow this is political? Must be nice to be perfect and right all the time. Personally I could care less about his politics. He showed guts and determination in the face of adversity. Bravo Tom.

October 7, 2009 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Joan

The wrestler guy is was worse than Tom Delay by a mile. Did you see when he as supposed to shimmy his chest he moved his arms instead. Please this guy is the worst by far. He needs to go.

October 7, 2009 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  34. kathryn

i really don't care what party he was in, his dancing sucked. i'm glad hes gone so he wont split anymore votes. as far as debbie goes, i can't stand her voice but i will miss watching maks :) so hot, tom delay so not. the fans have spoken tho

October 7, 2009 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Sandy

I'm sorry to see Tom DeLay leave, he look like he was having fun!

Mak's ego is sooo big....Deb and Mak needed to go...didn't like watching their conflicting personalities and it showed on the dance floor, Mak
    should take some time off, Deb pursue other goals in life, sorry, but
    you are not a dancer :(

October 7, 2009 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  36. ESther

I, too, am going to miss Tom. Delay. He is the kind of personwho be on the show. I really don't think any of them should have dancing background. that would make a true sho showing how the professionals taught the general population to dance. We need more 'boxers' , football palyers and others like this to learn to dance.. get the show right.

October 7, 2009 at 12:36 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Steve

Any day that Tom DeLay goes down is a good day.

October 7, 2009 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Jonathan

Wow, you people like MaryR in Houston are really pathetic.

As a Libertarian, I'm no particular fan of the GOP or Tom Delay (or Obama, needless to say), but Tom Delay challenged himself to do something like DWTS and kept going even though he was dancing in pain, and did far better than it's likely any of you could do.

I'd say you ought to be ashamed of yourselves, but I'm too familiar with people like you; I know that you have no shame.

October 7, 2009 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  39. EJ

DeLay was indicted in 2005. He was never convicted and the case has never gone to trial. There are enough crooks in congress to go around – in BOTH PARTIES. It never ceases to amaze how narrow minded people can be.

October 7, 2009 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Lisa

what kind of world do we live in when Michael Irvin is put on the cover of Texas Monthly with a cocaine moustache???? anyone remember that?
    and what kind of message are we sending to our kids when he is on prime time TV on Dancing with the Stars?

SAD very SAD.

October 7, 2009 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Julie

I don't even want to watch anymore with Maks gone!!!

October 7, 2009 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  42. dennisk

Politically, I couldn't be further from Tom Delay, but I give him credit for stepping outside his comfort zone in joining the show, taking his dance instruction seriously, and fighting the pain to stay in the competition. I also give him high marks for knowing it was time to quit, and doing so graciously.

October 7, 2009 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Melinda

I am glad Debbie and Maks are gone, I can't stand Mak's GIANT EGO!

October 7, 2009 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Raquel

Goes to show you how desperate the Republicans are – Hey, have Tom DeLay dance on DWTS! Great idea! Maybe we can bring in some younger voters!

October 7, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Dancers Mom

My daughter and I thought either Michael or Deb would go– remember Cloris Leachman- alot of sympathy voting was going on. No Tom wasn't that bad but look at the finale last year...never really know who will win anymore. The way things are going Chuck just may take home the trophy-he is cute and has a great smile but no he is not improving -personally Mya and Natalie are doing the best , and then Aaron is crying OMG can't wait till next week .... at least the entertainment value is still there!

October 7, 2009 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  46. monnie

MaryR in Houston said it perfectly. Can't wait for Tom Delay to do the perp walk right into his jail cell.

October 7, 2009 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  47. NormaJean

I enjoyed Tom Delay but he would have been voted off next week or the week after. He was fun to watch but had no grace (like Michael). I have to disagree, however, with those that say singers/performers should be not cast in the competition.

Yes, they do have an advantage due to performing but the dances they perform on stage are not ballroom type. They dance hip-hop and jazz which requires more precision and timing. Ballroom has more fluidity and emotion. It is a challenge to performers to be vulnerable.

I applaud and have immense respect for all who have come out for this competition because to allow yourself to be criticized (constructively, of course) on national TV and STILL continue to perform takes a lot of class.

Finally, I say Donnie and My'a will be the final two standing.

October 7, 2009 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  48. MaryR in Houston

There's no fool like a old fool and DeLay looked ridiculous on the dance floor. I'm waiting for the day when he waltzes into a jail cell. Good riddance!

October 7, 2009 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  49. mary

perfect now we resort to getting criminals do these shows.....delay is a criminal and you having him there says a lot.

October 7, 2009 at 11:27 am | Report abuse |
  50. DWTS Fan

Tom was quite the performer on DWTS. Very entertaining. But like the extreme right wing of the Republican party, its lights out. See ya! Two broken feet, hmmmm.....very symbolic indeed. :)

October 7, 2009 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  51. Nicole

Honestly, I watch this show to see the people who start out horribly sometimes make big improvements. And Tom is most certainly not one of the worst dancers at this point.

I agree with Debra. Michael should have gone. Or Chuck. I'm sorry, but neither of them have improved enough to stay!

October 7, 2009 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  52. di

sorry to see Tom go, he would have been fun to watch more.
    I wish DWTS would have everyone on an even keel; some of the contestants (singers/performers) have an edge over others (like Delay/WWE/NFL players) hey they need to level the playing field!

October 7, 2009 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  53. Jon

Tom was fun to watch, he was having fun and challenging himself. I feel bad for him and stress fractures and hope those heal fast. Get over the political thing Leslie....not everyone looks at the world as Red vs Blue...in fact, that is becoming quite passe'...move on.

October 7, 2009 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  54. Vicki

I didn't think he was rediculous at all – I thought he was a pretty good
    dancer. And I applaud his willingness to do this show – not everyone will.

October 7, 2009 at 11:13 am | Report abuse |
  55. Leslie

What was he (DeLay) trying to prove anyway, he was ridiculous!

October 7, 2009 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  56. Debra R

Too bad, I was hoping Michael Irwin would go...he has no grace...I will miss Tom, hope you feel fast. Not everyone can continue to dance on 2 stress fractures (Hugh Jackman)...so you did good.

I amo also sorry to see debbi and Maks go, their love-hate relationship was worth the watch.

October 7, 2009 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |