October 6th, 2009

Relating to Vince Vaughn at 'Couples Retreat' premiere

Trivia question of the day: What do ex-presidential candidate Ron Paul, Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner, Academy Award-winning actress Helen Mirren, a grown-up "Ralphie" from "A Christmas Story" and "Karate Kid" Ralph Macchio all have in common?

Vince Vaughn

Answer: They all attended the "Couples Retreat" premiere in L.A. Monday night. Talk about your eclectic bunch of celebs. Sometimes it happens. A strange constellation of stars forms at a Hollywood event and you shake your head and say, WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

Sometimes it's cool, other times it's just sad. Like the time I covered a red carpet gala that saw both a tipsy Erin Moran from "Happy Days" and Elvis' hairdresser (don't ask me what he was doing there, but he had his own publicist) working the press line. And those were the "A-listers" of the evening! We still have a good laugh about that one here in the office.

At any rate, the "Couples Retreat" cast were a good-natured bunch, and in star Vince Vaughn's case, relentlessly on message. I think before he hit the red carpet his publicist must have told him, "Okay, Vince make sure you hit hard on the fact that audiences will really relate to this film." But don't take my word for it. Count how many times below he uses the word "relatable."

"It was fun to take a bunch of relatable people who would never get a chance to go to a place like Bora Bora and have relatable issues, that go on in all relationships. And audiences have responded really well to the film which is always nice because they can see themselves within the dynamic of what's going on. So I just thought it would be fun to take relatable things in a relationship and have a really funny way of investigating those things...  I think 'Swingers' is very relatable. It's about a friend helping another friend through a bad break up, and he's trying to meet girls and he's really not used to doing that sort of thing and I think in this movie what's relatable is catching a group of people at different stages of their marriages and I think it's very real and in a funny way how they deal with those issues. So I think what people are connecting to are issues that are very relatable."

Dude, I can totally relate.

1. Roger

Not quite a 14 hour flight, less then half of that, but it could have gone either way – making the 10 seconds for a quick photo or not... also, I am not a star chaser, but genuinely like the cheesy movies he falls into. I would have thought that someone that relied on fan appreciation would be a touch more accommodating.

October 8, 2009 at 2:01 am | Report abuse |
  2. James

Roger,
    Sat right next to Vince on a flight from Dallas down to Costa Rica, 2 years ago. Most enjoyable 4 hours of flight I have ever had. Talked about politics, sports, religion, movies, etc. He never once asked for a photo with me, so I didn't bother asking one from him either. However, I noticed at least 4 different times between boarding/in-flight/unloading that people kept asking him for photo ops. Not to mention all the college guys wanting to fist bump him, say jokes to him, etc. Gotta be tiring for him.

October 6, 2009 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. AD

Sorry Roger, all I hear is WAHHHHH.

October 6, 2009 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. LBW

The shelf life of an actor is getting shorter and shorter. All I've ever seen him do are the cutesy movies and those are getting so old. Ten years from now when Hollywood and the public are done with him, he would beg for someone to even want his picture. Nice is important.

October 6, 2009 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Debra R

I disagree. I think part of the package of being a celbrity is to be nice to your fans whenever it's possible. Roger was very nice and ASKED if he could take a picture. Most people would have just taken the picture. It would not have cost Vince anything to let the guy take a picture, except showing he has manners.

October 6, 2009 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. c

scott bring up a good point, i cant imagine anyone being nice after a 14 hour flight..even if it was in 1st class...

October 6, 2009 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Scott

Roger – he did just get off of a 14 hr flight, so, cut him some slack if he just wanted his bags and some down time before mugging for a camera with other tourists.

October 6, 2009 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |
  8. Ann

Roger, he didn't yell or throw a punch at you, or demand special treatment, on the plane or at the airport... Why is he a jerk for wanting his privacy?

October 6, 2009 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  9. c

no telling, i agree he should have been more accomodating, but on the flip side, he probably IS constantly pestered ALL the time...i can only dream of being a celeb, id HOPE id be accomodating to fans, but again, id probably get tired of the attention quick and go into solitude somewhere remote... some stars are great, some dont want to be bothered...
    movie twister filmed in our area a long time ago. bill paxton was great, down to earth, talked to us locals,ect. helen hunt was a diff story, someone approached her for an autograph and she haughtily said "i dont do autographs"....( brushed off a friend of mine who dared to ask her for one) he started calling her helen( just take the h off of hunt and replace it w/ a c...you get the idea)

October 6, 2009 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  10. Debra R

Roger, people like Vince are too full of themselves. I have had the opportunity to meet several actors and the nicest is Hugh Jackman. Maybe you should watch Hugh's movies instead. He is the better actor anyway.

October 6, 2009 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. chris

It sounds like he was polite enough. As you say, it must be annoying to be bothered all the time.

October 6, 2009 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  12. Roger

I was on a flight last week from LA to Tahiti with Vince Vaughn and the cast, seemed to be a good bunch of folks. After we landed, Vince Vaughn was standing around waiting for his luggage with the rest of us, I casually said, "Hi Vince, would it be ok to grab a photo?" His response was "No, I don't do that..." I said thanks and walked away.

It must be annoying to be bothered wherever you are, but I've gone from enjoying all of his movies to telling all of my friends what a jerk this guy is.

October 6, 2009 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |