October 6th, 2009

Moby, Dave Eggers find the good

You don't have to be a quirky, unique voice in your field to make a difference, but it doesn't seem to hurt.  Moby, the techno artist who appears to have at least as many foes as fans, is donating all revenue from his three upcoming California shows to domestic violence shelters in the state.

Moby

All state funding for such services was eliminated in the latest budget bloodbath, and dozens of shelters have had to close or cut back services and staff.  Moby says he hopes his shows October 12 in San Diego, October 14 in Los Angeles, and October 15 in San Francisco can raise as much as $100,000 for the California Partnership to End Domestic Violence.

Dave Eggers is also putting his artistic earnings toward a good cause.  The author of "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" also penned the 2006 novel "What Is The What," a novelized biography of Valentino Achak Deng, one of "The Lost Boys" of Sudan. Fittingly, all proceeds from book sales are going to aid the Sudanese community, in the U.S. and in Africa.

I'm curious: would you be more likely - or less, or would it matter - to buy a book, attend a concert, or otherwise pay for entertainment if you knew the money was going to a certain cause?  Would it matter whether you agreed with the cause or not, whether it was local or national or international?  As you took the time to read a blog entry about charitable work (and, I would hope, other entries in our Find The Good series), your replies may not be representative of the public at large, but I'm still interested in what you think.

And while I'm addressing you directly, a mea culpa.  Several posters took issue with the writing style on my last entry.  That stung a bit, as I take a good deal of pride in my prose.  So I went back and looked at it... and they were right.  I rushed it.  The entry could have, and should have, been longer, more detailed, and much more smoothly composed.  Both you and the causes I spotlight here deserve better, and I'll try harder to live up to that standard.

1. Cynthia Ruiz

I have always enjoyed Moby and actually attended his show in Dallas this past Sunday. I didn't mind paying the $25 ticket price. However, I would have enjoyed the show more if I knew the proceeds were going directly to charity. I know Moby and other artists can't do it all the time, but I think it's awesome he's taking initiative to help and hope others follow suit.

October 6, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Debbie

I am always more inclined to go to any sort of event that is for charity IF I like the charity. Sometimes I don't. I'll go to any event for animals and most of those for victims of disasters. Less inclined to cancer charities because I'm suspicious about how much of the proceeds actually make it to research or patient care.

October 6, 2009 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. jocked

i LOVE moby's work and am going to his concert in portland on 10/19! this is just one more reason to respect the man and his work...

October 6, 2009 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Allen Zbranek

I love Moby.... I have for 20 years. What he is doing is fantastic... I wish more pop stars would help out... instead of being photographed going into the hottest clubs.... YOU KNOW YOUR NAMES!

October 6, 2009 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

Doesn't make a difference to me at all. If anything, less likely to purchase or attend. Its really just a marketing trick most of the time. Look at all the free PR it got him.If you want to give to a charity, give. If you want to see a concert see it. Why do you need Moby to justify giving to a charity that you think is deserving? Wake up sheeple.

October 6, 2009 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. kim.u.vu@gmail.com

I really don't care for Moby, but do think what he's doing is admirable. The proceeds of such events wouldn't entice me to go if i wasn't considering going already–it'd just be an added bonus. Since I don't care for Moby, i wouldn't buy a ticket just so the proceeds could be donated, I'd just make a donation to the charity directly. Even though your proceeds are donated, there is still the cost of putting on the event which is deducted from the cost of your ticket.

October 6, 2009 at 12:43 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Jamie

I would definitely be more likely to buy tickets to a concert or a book of an artist/author I enjoy if the proceeds were benefiting charity. It is a great way for entertainers to elevate the public dialogue of an important issue. They are making an impact at the grassroots level and also directly aiding the situation by donating funds.

It also makes me more likely to see their shows or buy their books down the line because they become a part of the larger community of those making a difference.

October 6, 2009 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sam

I hope they raise a lot of money for the shelters, but Moby....not so good.

October 6, 2009 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Moby LOL

Moby really, really, really sucks...but I think what he's doing is REALLY cool!!

October 6, 2009 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ChiPaul

I'm happy when events have bins or whatever for voluntary donations, because then I can choose to donate, and I appreciate that celebrities are people too and have particular causes they support, but it just feels icky to me to force me to donate to some cause or other in order to see someone or to buy something – I mean, that's what taxes are. You don't pay taxes voluntarily, you pay because you have to, you're forced to. You don't volunteer, or donate, by force, that doesn't make sense – you volunteer or donate because you want to. I donate money and time voluntarily to the causes I believe in. Even if I think something's important, I don't want to force someone else to donate to it. Doesn't forcing people to donate seem weird to anyone else?

October 6, 2009 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Billy

You know, to be honest, it's not something I'm consciously aware of when purchasing media. It would not influence my decision either for or against. What the authors or creators do with the revenue is really their decision.

October 6, 2009 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  12. justcallmejamie

I think its wonderful that people in his position actually give a rip about someone other than himself. I think its wonderful when anyone cares about others more than themselves.

October 6, 2009 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  13. Kim

Much more likely. Tip of the Hat (to borrow a phrase) to these men for making a difference and thanks for letting us know about it.

October 6, 2009 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  14. Grant

Don't forget Eggers new book "Zeitoun." The proceeds of that go to various charities for Katrina survivors. Hands down, my favorite author. I went to a reading of his a few years ago in Cincinnati and he was extremely gracious.

October 6, 2009 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  15. Marni

I happen to really like both Moby and Dave Eggers. I would certainly be more inclined to buy tickets or be willing to pay more for tickets knowing that the money was going to a cause I support. In the same token, knowing that profits would go to a cause I was truly against would absolutely determine whether or not I would buy tickets, regardless of how much I might like an artist or author. I see buying a ticket when the profits are being donated as the equivalent of me making a donation to that charity.

October 6, 2009 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  16. Trevin Matlock

I am more likely to read the book or attend the concert if the proceeds go to a charity, but only if I am at least interested in either already. I.E. the charity angle is more likely to make me follow through on my initial interest and shell out the money.

October 6, 2009 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  17. Laura

I *adore* Dave Eggers. He has a heart of gold and is one of the very best living writers. I would buy anything he wrote. Moby I'm not so crazy about, but yes, I'd go to see him if it was for a good cause. I like him very much as a person, I'm just not into that sort of music. But I'd "broaden my horizons" to support a worthwhile cause.

October 6, 2009 at 11:04 am | Report abuse |