October 5th, 2009

Backstreet Boy gets swine flu

Just as their album "This is Us" is about to drop (Tuesday October 6th), the Backstreet Boys are dropping out of several scheduled appearances. Brian Littrell has been diagnosed with H1N1 flu, also known as swine flu.

It's unfortunate timing - the band was scheduled to appear today for a signing at NYC PINKTOBER Hard Rock Café and Tuesday on the CBS "Early Show," performing their new single "Straight Through My Heart." Band members Nick Carter, Howie Dorough and AJ McLean apparently aren't showing any symptoms and have been prescribed Tamiflu as a preventative measure. The band just returned from touring in Tokyo.

Littrell released this statement via his record label: "We were really looking forward to spending time with our closest fans and friends in NYC and take part of PINKTOBER, an unbelievable and important program. I hope we can come back soon and do everything we can to help."

No word on the rest of their scheduled appearances.

1. Chauncey Imbrock

Swine influenza (also called swine flu, or pig flu) is an infection by any one of several types of swine influenza virus. Swine influenza virus (SIV) is any strain of the influenza family of viruses that is endemic in pigs. As of 2009, the known SIV strains include influenza C and the subtypes of influenza A known as H1N1, H1N2, H3N1, H3N2, and H2N3.,

Current write-up coming from our own web-site
    <'http://www.foodsupplementcenter.com/chlorophyll-supplement/

March 12, 2013 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Elvis Cretsinger

A question: how does CBD determine that you can make $250 in sales per month? Based on money you are already making from other affiliate programs?.-= Meryl van der Merwe´s last blog ..New lens: Missionary Stories for Kids =-.

May 12, 2012 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Maurycy

wprost, że w ostatnim czasie. Dostajemy po tyłku w każdej dyscyplinie i nie jest istotne czy gramy w nożną, siatkę lub kosza we wszystkim przegrywamy i nie pamiętam kiedy coś wygraliśmy, Jest to dołujące i mam obecnie tego dosyć. Brakuje mi aktualnie wielkich nazwisk i postaci w naszym sporcie. Ciekawe kiedy to się zmieni. Przepraszam pesymistyczny, jestem bardzo rozgoryczony. oraz zwłaszcza.

September 1, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sybil

nick carter lam hugs @kiss yes boyfriend nick carter
    text me back cellphone girl friend sybil
    call me night seven thrty cellphone girl friend sybil

August 13, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Winding Machine

Swine Flue created a lot of mass panic during the height of its infection:`*

October 20, 2010 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Britney...

Crystle are you serious??
    Please, hes NOT dieing or anything! A couple of my friends have had the swine flu and there totally fine!
    DONT STRESS!
    The world is not coming to an end. He is not dieing. Its just a flu, but the media is making a huge deal out if it.
    Be happy. (:
    Go to a good movie or something.

October 11, 2009 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  7. jo

nobody should get the swine flu, not even Aj mclean, as someone said. That is really innapropriate.
    Wish Brian will get better

October 8, 2009 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Crystle

I hope you get well soon Brian I was crying all day yesterday my blood sugar readings had been high all day as well because of this. First Patrick Swayze dies now this had to happen I can't take it no more

October 7, 2009 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Britney...

All im saying "iuulhwaifu" is that i havent seen or heard anyone talk about them in long time so therefore, there not that famous. Sure there CDs might sell "thousands" but really, i havent heard a song from them on the radio in like, forever... there not big stars anymore. Even tho ppl might like them.

I never really liked the Backstreet Boys but feel better Brian.

October 7, 2009 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. Connie

POOR GUY! I was supposed to meet them at the private event today :( but i rather him get well ..... LOVE YOU BROK

October 6, 2009 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. iuulhwaifu

George what value does your comment has????

"Nooo!!!!! Why wasn’t it AJ McLean instead?!?!?!?!?"

Seriously..... are you saying you would be happy if AJ had the swine flu.. Who wishes someone to be sick???

And Britney i would double check before i comment cuz last time i check Backstreet Boys CDs are still selling in big amounts not as before but decent sales and they still have great shows sold to the THOUSANDS...

Brian needs to take as much time as he needs to fell better. Forget the appearances heath comes first.

October 6, 2009 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Britney...

Its not like there robots.
    There people just like us, and i dont see why they would think that they wouldnt get the swine flu.
    And seriously, no one buys the Backstreet Boys CDs anymore.
    There getting kinda old if anyone hasnt noticed already.

October 6, 2009 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BlackthorneBay

Why they were prescribed Tamiflu: Because they are going to be in close contact with tens of thousands of ordinary people when they go on tour, and the LAST thing that the BB or the CDC wants is an epidemic caused by a failure to take preventative measures. If they can stop that by prescribing FOUR doses instead of TEN THOUSAND after the fact, it is well worth it.

October 6, 2009 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Erm

No one cares about the Backstreet Boys anymore? Are you people off your rocker? YOU might not care, but I know first hand they are selling out LARGE stadiums jam packed FULL of people. Their albums may not sell well, but their shows sell HUGE. Know your facts.

October 6, 2009 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. sb

ok, Lauren Pruett -> you just made my day with your new rendition of the song.

Everyone else should just chill out.

October 6, 2009 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Mihar

Also can't get why CNN still calls it swine flu.

October 6, 2009 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  17. Kimberly

This blog is to multiple people here you know who you are......Dont you understand the word PANDEMIC?!?!? yes! its a pandemic the W.H.O has catorgized it as a pandemic. Its not an every day flu, have you ever heard of the "spanish flu" ? Theres a reason its been given a name! Seriously hundreds of thousands possibly millions are going to die in a short period of time!!! Dont talk until you know facts...you know who you are. And wishing harm on the other band members is just plain horrible.

October 5, 2009 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Mischa

Derek – I have to say you probably should not call people "stupid" when your own statement is incorrect. H1N1 is entirely different from seasonal flu strains. Whereas seasonal flu does affect the elderly (and the very young) the most as far as severity of the illness, they are the very last priority group for receiving the H1N1 vaccine because it is affecting the young through age 24 primarily. Secondly, it's not reason for people to panic because the symptoms have luckily been mild for the majority of people and most people will get over it in a few days, but it is something to be concerned about because the susceptible groups – namely young children and pregnant women – are getting really, really sick from H1N1 and hospitalization rates for those individuals have been higher than expected.

People should still take the same preventive (wash your hands!) and treatment procedures they do for the regular seasonal flu. But it is a different problem. And I think anytime H1N1 is in the news to remind people that it hasn't disappeared is a good thing if it makes people take healthy actions, even if that means writing about a BSB.

October 5, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  19. jane

who cares, he can't sing anyway.

October 5, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Kiwi

Ahem........ would just like to point out that several people have come on saying they have it also. Given your own countrymen only seem to react to your bad luck if you are a "celebrity" I would like to say I noticed and I hope you all feel better soon.

October 5, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  21. brittany

brian i hope u feel very better soon your my favorite back street boy besides kevin and nick

October 5, 2009 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Bill

I have H1N1 RIGHT NOW as I sit here typing this. It's diagnosed... and it's mild. Really mild... I've had much worse flus. My wife just got over it.. in 3 days. Get over it people... worry about something important. And get some Theraflu or Nyquil...

October 5, 2009 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  23. J0dy

All I have to do to get Tamiflu is call the connection that my place of employment set up and pay $200.00. They also have Teledoc. We are encouraged to come to work daily. Today, HR passed out hand sanitizer.

October 5, 2009 at 8:14 pm | Report abuse |
  24. nick

im with joey..why the hell is this even on the news!

October 5, 2009 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |
  25. nick

u guys all need to calm the hell down. no one cares about the stupid backstreetboys anymore there dead! u dont ever seee anyone with their songs on an ipod or played on the radio get over it they sucked anyway.like really!oh my gosh he has a cold hes not gonna die. i dont even know who he is! because no one cares. i havent heard anything about this untill like ten minutes ago because no ones reads about the back streert boys so u girls who are obsessed over the dead need to get over it and find a new obsession :)

October 5, 2009 at 8:06 pm | Report abuse |
  26. matthew

don't really matter, if he dies the rest of the dumb band will right a stupid song about him and its another dead pop star this year big deal

October 5, 2009 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Krista

To George first off no it shouldn't be Aj McLean I don't wish this on no one. To BLOCKHEAD 304 .. secondly .The Backstreet Boys haven't left so you can't call it a come back. They have a lot of fans and they don't have to go away from the music business for 20 years for their fans to like them again. Thirdly this is a serious illness not a popularity contest he is a human being so I could care less if he was a member of the BSB, Nsync, or NKOTB. Get better soon Brian!!! You are in my prayers. KTBSPA I will be buying my copy of This Is Us tonight at midnight! As Brian would say...Gotta Go

October 5, 2009 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Derek

This whole thing is overblown, only small children and the elderly are at risk, a healthy adult will just have the same symptoms as any other flu. God people are stupid.

October 5, 2009 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Lisa

Oh, it was my son that had the flu and now I have the flu. And, apparently, while sick with the flu, I cannot spell flu.

Go ahead and jump on for my spelling, grammar and punctuation. I normally don't tolerate it either, but sick with the flue – Frankly, Scarlett...I just don't give a #$$%$%.

You know it is wrong when people who are healthy get meds that the youngest sickest children cannot get.

My child's health – sold to the highest bidder. Whoever is reasponsible – I hope you get coughed on by someone who has something worse than the flue! You've sold your soul.

October 5, 2009 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Lisa

they gave them Tamiflu as a precaution. Children 2, 3, 4 years old in Texas can't get Tamiflu even when they have been diagnosed with the swine flu! We are told it is being reserved for the worst cases.

A preventative measure is a worse case than a 3 year old with flue, croup and cannot breathe? Why is that?

Money – greed – the root of all evil!

October 5, 2009 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  31. fan12ofan

Love You Brian! god bless you and hope you get better very very soon!
    Bad things should not happen to good people like you!

October 5, 2009 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  32. rachel

MNichael A,two kids in kentucky just died from it,so if it's a "myth," it's a pretty potent myth!

October 5, 2009 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  33. blockhead 304

Seems to me they're trying to come back just like NKOTB....I don't think they have as many fans as NKOTB does.

October 5, 2009 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  34. benhur

I was diagnosed with H1N1 Sunday afternoon. I feel like I was hit by a truck. My mom, who'd been over here helping take care of me, is 72 and diabetic. She and I both were prescribed tamiflu. Neither one of us is a celebrity.

I know there are prophylaxis-driven Tamiflu protocols, but I suspect they are being overused, hence the shortage in my city. However, what's the point in allowing people exposed to confirmed cases to go on to catch a potentially dangerous bug if there's a resource available that might ameliorate or prevent it?

October 5, 2009 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  35. s1ck!

Let me be clear, just because you get sick or get sick alot doesn't mean you're un-hygenic. I wash my hands 5 times a day. I cough and sneeze into my elbow or shoulder. I am immuno-supressed because I have to take medication so I don't feel my permanent migraine. I am scared beyond belief that I will catch any bug. I'm not weak nor dirty. Be aware that there are common medicines that also cause immunosuppression.

Also did anyone stop to think that the backstreet boys might be at greater risk because of extend time spent in enclosed spaces? I mean when you sing, don't you breathe more forcefully and intake and expend more oxygen?

October 5, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Judy Ferega

That's a terrible thing to say – – – it should be AJ - - it SHOULD NOT BE ANYONE IN THIS COUNTRY and least of all a BSB before a tour...................some heart you have.

Brian – – get well soon – – – – WE LOVE YOU !!

October 5, 2009 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Angie

MichaelA you need to check the news. US born children in North Texas have died from H1N1 recently. It is completely unfair that the rest of the band who is not even presenting symptoms are able to get Tamiflu. Children here in Texas confirmed to have H1N1 cannot get Tamiflu unless they are considered high risk. Praying my children don't catch it because they will not be able to get Tamiflu.

October 5, 2009 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Joey

Why is this news?

October 5, 2009 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Kel

Mozzy, you do know that before any of this even happened, one of the top concerns concerning massive death was a FLU (F-L-U) pandemic? The most likely causes of widespread mortality are a flu pandemic and the super bug (and yes, even more than say a war). But H1N1 is quite curable, so we shouldn't panic. Still, a fair few will die.

Sure, maybe it won't be H1N1 (which I suppose the media still calls it because it's more catchy) that will wipe out great quantities of the population. But it's better to be safe than sorry. We should take the easy, free precaution such as washing hands (which you should do anyway) and staying home if you're sick. But other than taking practical precautions, I think people are hyperbolizing the dialogue.

And Eric, H1N1 is NOT technically swine flu. Ask any doctor or scientist... or farmer for that matter. The virus is a reassortment of four known strains of influenza A virus: one endemic in humans, one endemic in birds, and two endemic in pigs (swine). Transmission of the new strain is human-to-human, and eating cooked pork products will NOT transmit the virus. So it's not swine flu. You CAN'T get it from pigs. The disease wasn't even found in pigs. This isn't like Bird or Avian flu where it was actually considered an avian disease.

That's why you shouldn't call it swine flu. You'll find that any agriculturalist will not call it that. It's to prevent people from being afraid to consume pork and things like Egypt slaughtering some 250,000 pigs, which negatively impacted many different sectors.

October 5, 2009 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  40. calico

poor guy. hope he is ok! In his age group, mortality rate isn't too high.

the dr gupta link posted is lame. Of course it's "swine" flu because that is the name everyone knows this strain as. Let's not forget it's high-density/close-contact handling of livestock which keep giving us newer versions of the flu. No you can't get h1n1 from a pork chop, but let's not forget the giant incubator we create when we insist of having high-density pork farms. Did you know anthrax and TB also came from livestock? There is a dark side to meat farming, and people need to give it some thought.

October 5, 2009 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Karen

Mozzy,
    IT'S NOT JUST THE FLU!!!!!! Yes, the season flu does kill people every year, but usually the ones that are affected by the season flu are the very young and very old with weakened immune systems and underlying health conditions. H1N1 is killing healthy young adults and children with ZERO medical problems.

The gov't and media are trying to tell people how to stop spreading H1N1, but if you look around they aren't doing it. It's unfortunate that you take this so lightly because it's that kind of attitude that will continue to spread the virus.

October 5, 2009 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Jasmin

what do you mean why wasnt it AJ?
    that is sooo wrong.
    I hope that he gets better and that the WHOLE group is healthy.
    God Bless You!

October 5, 2009 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Kendra

Small world..

October 5, 2009 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Sarah

Whatever happened to Kevin?

October 5, 2009 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Carlee

aww, porr brain! I hope he recovers soon.

October 5, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Ellen

Eric, there is no Soviet Union. Just like there is no swine flu.

October 5, 2009 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  47. KK

NKOTB RULES!!!

October 5, 2009 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Ally

I hope B-Rok gets to feeling better... KTBSPA!!!

October 5, 2009 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  49. MichaelA

Hey Elizabeth, children are not "dying in Texas". There has been ONE non-Mexico death so far. And several thousand vehicular deaths. Get this whole thing in perspective. Its the freaking flu, taking out the weak and the people around the unhygenic.

October 5, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  50. dev

good marketing for Tamiflu, which is not indicated in the first place for the healthy individuals.

October 5, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Leo

Who in the world is Brian Littrel? Who are the Backstreet Boys? Oyeah people who used to be famous. Who cares!

October 5, 2009 at 5:44 pm | Report abuse |
  52. waco

Becuase its more fun to say He's got the swine than he's got H1N1. Really sick is sick no matter what you call it.

October 5, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Scrawd

maybe we'll luck out and all of 'em will get it

October 5, 2009 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Vanessa

I'm sure Brian will be fine, everyone. Just think positive thoughts! :)

October 5, 2009 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Dave

Settle down, girls. H1N1 is not that serious. He'll be better in no time.

October 5, 2009 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Tata koko

He is a strong man, he will recover. I hope.

October 5, 2009 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Danielle Mansani

All I can say now is that I'm praying so he can get better soon.

October 5, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Eric

Just because the government asks you to call it something doesn't mean that the media has to listen. This is America, not the Soviet Union. H1N1 IS a swine flu.

October 5, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Amy

Aww!!! Poor Brian!!

October 5, 2009 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Mer

Brenda> Chillax. It's the flu, not a death sentence. He is young and appears healthy. He should be fine. The people dying from this are those w. compromised immune systems. Basically, they were already sick to begin w.

October 5, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  61. c

if im not mistaken, didnt dr gupta himself contract the ( swine/h1n1) flu too?

October 5, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Jonathan

Yawn.

October 5, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  63. stephanie

Feel better brian!! We love you!

October 5, 2009 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Tran

That's too bad, hopefully he will make a full recovery.
    And hopefully it's not too serious. My mom also tested positive for H1N1, and she had to take the medication for a week without any outside contact. Afterwards, she was perfectly fine.

October 5, 2009 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Elizabeth

The band was prescribed Tami-flu as a precaution? They are healthy men they don't need Tami-flu! Normal (non celebrity) people can't get a prescription for Tami-flu unless they fit the CDC criteria and be at sever risk! Children are dying in Texas because they are told they have H1N1 but no other health problems so they don't fit the CDC criteria!! Not Fair!

October 5, 2009 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  66. carolina

pobre brian!!!! pobre a la banda q justo saca el cd nuevooo!!! q garron!!!

October 5, 2009 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Kasia

Prayers to Brian and his family, especially as his past history of heart/health issues may make this a more serious problem for him. To the rest of the guys- stay healthy. Whenever you reschedule, your fans will be here. If you guys have learned NOTHING ELSE over the years, it should be that health comes first. KTBSPA

October 5, 2009 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Mozzy

For the love of all that's holy.........it's the FLU people!!!! It's not HIV or AIDS. It's the F-L-U. Period. Thousands of people a year die from influenza. The only concern is cross-contamination, not that you get it. The media is making this so much bigger than it needs to be. Wash your hands, sneeze in your sleeve....basically, do all the things your mother should have taught you when you were 5 and there was no such thing as "swine" flu!!!

October 5, 2009 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Lorin

I can't believe Brian has the swine flu. :( I hope he gets better soon!

October 5, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  70. smith

Why after repeated requests to the media from governments and the medical community does CNN still refer to H1N1 as swine flu? I simply don't understand.

Paging Dr Gupta:

Why CNN May Prefer swine flu to H1N1 virus?

October 5, 2009 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Brenda

You worry about their their scheduled appearances????????

What about: how is Brian Litrell doing? This is a very serious situation for anyone or don't you get that???????????

October 5, 2009 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  72. jane

that is terrible

October 5, 2009 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Lauren Pruett

I don't care you you are, what you do.... you can still get the Swine Flu!

October 5, 2009 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  74. George

Nooo!!!!! Why wasn't it AJ McLean instead?!?!?!?!?

October 5, 2009 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |