October 5th, 2009

Backstreet Boy Brian Littrell: 'You never think it will hit you'

(We reported earlier that Backstreet Boy Brian Littrell had been diagnosed with H1N1, commonly known as swine flu, upon arriving in New York just prior to the release of the band's new album. Littrell wanted to write something about the experience. Here are his comments, in his own words.)

I knew something was way wrong on the plane ride home from Japan. I mean, I was miserable, but I didn’t expect anything like this. You always hear about this stuff but you never think it will hit you.

(See a video of Brian on the Backstreet Boys' Web site.)

When we got to the hotel in NYC I knew I needed to see a doctor. Then the doctor said I had all the symptoms. Swine flu? It all still seemed so surreal. I mean – I got a record coming out, why me? Why this week?

I couldn’t sleep. The body aches were tremendous.

This morning it reached a new level. It felt like I was hit by a truck. I mean it took me awhile to even get out of the bed, or even move at all. (CNN's Dr. Sanjay Gupta describes his own bout with H1N1 here.)

Then it really hit home when the doctor confirmed it was definitely swine flu. He told me I had to be responsible and do my best to make sure nobody gets it from me. You can feel that pressure. I was supposed to see a lot of fans today at the signing.I’d have to tell the hotel staff here to leave room service, towels, etc., at my door.

And tell my wife she couldn’t come see me for a few days.

It’s a very lonely feeling.

I wouldn’t wish this on anybody.

Filed under: Uncategorized

1. movies citadel mall

That is very attention-grabbing, You are an overly skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and sit up for in quest of more of your magnificent post. Additionally, I have shared your web site in my social networks

September 7, 2012 at 2:55 am | Report abuse |
  2. Troneg Rabensteinh

Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic however I'd figured I'd ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog post or vice-versa? My website addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I think we could greatly benefit from each other. If you're interested feel free to shoot me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!

July 2, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dolphin

i know im late reading this but did everyone also forget low immune systen do to a poor heart i have a low immune systen aswell for other reasons but this stuff is way more painful and way more serious to ppl like us

January 2, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Susie Q

its the flu yes i agree. but if you have to flu do you want to go to work? and get everybody sick? i dont think so. why risk it. and being that he was to go see a bunch of people he would be risking the chance of getting people sick. besides when you have the flu you are usually pretty weak to begin with. and since there were those few cases of death...and yes i think its just normal flu....but hes a different matter. WHY RISK OTHER PEOPLE!

October 28, 2009 at 4:08 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jessica

So I'm confused. A lot of the other commenters are telling Brian to get over himself because he said "you never think it will happen to you" and "why me?" Right? Well then wouldn't that make you all a bunch of hypocrites? Any time you get sick and I mean really I'm hot but freezing, can't breathe, move, or think sick you will/have had those exact words run through your head and if you say that you haven't then you're not only a hypocrite, but a liar as well. And why because he's a celebrity is he suddenly not allowed to express these feelings? He's not perfect.

October 8, 2009 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Lynn Richardson

Brian, My thoughts are with you. Get well soon. Having met you and spent time talking with you I know you are a very special person. Look forward to seeing you and the fellas in Charlotte later this month. Love you. Lynn Richardson

October 7, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Kelly

Get bettter soon Brian, I'll be praying for you :(

October 7, 2009 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jessica N. Ziech

To bad, it was backstreet boys day 10/7

October 7, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Monica

I care a lot for him and the others!

Get well Brian!

October 7, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Monica

Hope you are feeling better today, Brian!

October 7, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lucy

To Britney... I CARE a lot and you are so wrong about Brian and the Backstreet Boys. These guys have still a lot of fans all around the World. You just don't know anything about them. So when you write 'no one really cares about them anymore', DON'T speak for me.

If you had read the article, which Littrell wanted to write something about the experience. He didn't ask if you liked him or the other guys. He is just telling us how HE feels in having H1N1 flu. That's it.

Brian is a kind, sweet, caring and giving person. His parents raised him right. To respect others.

I wish Brian a speedy recovery.

October 7, 2009 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Marcela rubio

Well I'll just say that, as someone else commented, every single person feels differently from the others; I haven't get this kind of flu (H1N1) but I've had colds many times and I get really bad! I feel weepy the whole day and my entire body hurts!
    Besides, I don't think we should understand that he feels the most miserable person in the world! He's junst saying that we never think that it will reach us! You know it exists but you are not prepared to have it.

October 7, 2009 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Britney...

Im not saying that he is doing this for publicity or anything-im just saying that no one really cares about them anymore. If he has the swine flu, whoopee but no need to announce to the world.

October 7, 2009 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  14. Jessi

All the people that are on here bashing Brian about his illness are so ignorant. First of all hes apologizing bc he really loves his fans and was looking foward to meeting with them this week. Second, to you people, this maybe just a flu, but a few years ago he had a very serious heart murmur that had to be corrected. Im sure this makes his condition more high risk. And obviously the swine flu is a lot more dangerous than the regular flun then it wouldnt be all over the news. So instead of trashing a famous bc they got sick, you should look into it and realize it might be more serious than you think. And besides im sure if one of you got the swine flu im sure you wouldnt be so quick to judge.

October 7, 2009 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  15. Cindy

Feel better B! It sounds terrible and frightening. There's a hell of a lot of haters posting on this article. Some people need to grow up. Pay no mind.

You guys were amazing at Beatstock '09 @ Jones Beach! Can't wait for a tour???!!!

October 7, 2009 at 8:10 am | Report abuse |
  16. TRish

The only way a doctor will confirm it is to do a blood test, and because of his heart condition it was rushed due to the higher severity for those with existing issues. He's just blogging and apologizing because he feels bad he is missing out on appearances. The why me comment I took it as him reflecting on his other health issues in the past and that he has been through enough.

October 6, 2009 at 11:05 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Anna J.

It seems a lot of people who lack compassion are those who were either got lucky with not having bad severity of the flu, or those who are trying to prove their masculinity for some ridiculous reason.

So what? Brian's a backstreet boy. Whoopee freaking do. Had this been yourself or someone you loved experiencing the exact symptoms Brian's having, I think you'd understand or at least relate on some degree. Doesn't matter if you're famous or not. If this flu knocks you down– it knocks you down.

To those who are calling Mr. Littrell a "baby" or a "wuss" or something along those lines, Let me tell you something. From what I've seen as a BSB fan of over a decade, these men don't go down without a fight (even in comparison to some of my other favorite artists). They've been brought up to be workhorses. Even if they have to bear through a touring schedule with the regular flu, they could be puking their guts up backstage between songs, and still come out with perfect stage presence and perform like usual. I've heard stories about situations like that all the time. They really hate to cancel.

Brian himself has already had situations where he's gone on instead of canceling. If I remember right, during the European leg of the Unbreakable tour, he had a sun stroke, yet still went onstage (when I'm sure he should've been resting instead). The other BSBers pulled up a chair for him, and the show went on. Also, as others have mentioned, His heart surgery from '98. Management (which they are no longer managed by these people, btw) had him back onstage within weeks of it, before he should've been.

As for the "Why Me" comment that everyone is picking apart? I took it in context with the whole paragraph of what he said. I don't think it was so much of a pity kind of thing, so much as it was frustration. Here it is, the Boys are flying in from Tokyo, excited that they were going to kick off their week of US promo for their new album (This is Us), which drops today. They had several events set up, not just the Pinktober ones, signings, Hard Rock Cafe stuff, a private show, the Early show, Ellen, Conan, Jimmy Kimmel, and so on. But now, they've had to let down thousands of fans because they've had to cancel and/or postpone events. Brian feels bad for this (they always feel bad when they have to cancel too). So bad that while looking like death, lethargic with swollen eyes, he decided to make a short video for the fans apologizing and telling what's going on (he really didn't need to do this... and there was no need to apologize AT ALL).

As for the lonely statement, I'm sure when he's awake, that he's bored of being holed up in the hotel room. I think everyone who has been sick away from home wishes they were home too. As far as I know, I don't think his wife and son were on the Asian promo trip that they just got back from. Sometimes the wife (Leighanne) and son (Baylee) come, sometimes they stay home in Georgia when it comes to when Brian's on the road. So by the time he landed in NY, he was already missing his family.

October 6, 2009 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Krystal

You all, the 'commenters' talking trash about this violently ill individual, should be ASHAMED of yourselves. None of you have done the research of the H1N1 (Swine Flu) virus, but I wouldn't expect you to; all you people are doing is sitting around, doing nothing and tear through people you don't even know. What a pity. Leave Brian Littrell alone; he's in enough pain as it is with him not being with his loving family. If you had this disease, or anything worse than this, you would be lonely too in a quarantine chamber, but alas, this is 'just another flu'.

Open your eyes; he's NOT doing this for publicity, and he's NOT trying to scare people into buying a hige abundance of cold pills; he's telling us how he's feeling and the report is NOT good. Like he said, I wouldn't wish this on anyone, and I believe him.

I've had the normal flu twice in my life, it was NOTHING compared to what he's telling everyone. From what I've read about H1N1, I'd rather have the normal flu than this.

Before you tell me whatever inane responses to what I posted, just THINK before you do so, or don't reply to me at all.

Has anyone even seen the video he posted yesterday? His eyes were BLOODSHOT for crying out loud and he could hardly speak! I was NEVER like that when I had Influenza and hope to God it won't happen to anyone else.

My advice to those who call him a crybaby, and telling him to get over it and saying he's 'overreacting'. THINK. Or keep quiet about it. I think hushing up is your best bet.

October 6, 2009 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Dee

Ok I just want to know what is everyone's deal? Who cares if he's a Backstreet Boy or whatever, H1N1 is killing people and all you guys can do is bicker about it. Here in Maryland we've had 9 people including children who have died from this so don't start with the negative comments please, the most recent being just a few days ago.

And all he's doing is explaining how he feels, I've never had the flu so I wouldn't know. He felt like that on the plane and if he feels that bad it's got to be serious, lighten to frick up will ya and have some sympathy.

Hope you get well Brian and take care. :)

October 6, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Dallas98

Hey Brian,

Tell the Swine Flu to "Quit playing games with your heart"

Get well soon~

JG

October 6, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  21. dottie

Imagine that feeling 24-7. This is the life of lyme disease. Always feels like you have the flu – hope you get better

October 6, 2009 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Alan

wishing you well, Brian...take care and just ignore all the haters!

October 6, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Britney...

Uh who?
    Backstreet Boyss...?
    Oh!
    Those people who were famous, what FIVE years ago?!

Im in high school and i havent heard one person say anything about the Backstreet Boys in AGES!
    And its the flu.
    The world will not come to an end, i promise.
    And btw Meli, check your facts.
    My half sister had the swine (H1N1) flu last week and now shes at cheer practice.
    Once again, not the end of the world.

October 6, 2009 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  24. BeverlyAnn

I dont think he is over reacting at all. I think he was sick...real sick. My Cousin had it...and she is the strongest woman I know...and she even said she thought she was run over by a mack truck. If she says its bad...then it was. If you have...or had it..maybe it wasnt so bad for you...maybe you were the lucky ones. I think its hilarious that people think they can put other people down because they feel as if they are being over dramatic. He was sick...he talked about it. Its worse then the flu people...this is a serious thing...and people are dying over it. Some people may die...some people may not. Either way...its not a joke. My great Grandmother and her infant son died during the last flu epidemic in the early 1900's. They buried them in the same coffin to make room. For whatever reason...my grandmother was spared...but her young mother wasnt. Im taking this very serious...and so should you...I hope who ever gets it...survives...

October 6, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Lucy

A question was asked. About Test Results for H1N1. It only takes 2 to 3 days.
    The doctor is not going to quarantine him just for flu.

I agree with Misha on the 3 reasons she gave. I was thinking the same thing, special on number 1 reason.

Yes I know how it is on a 14+hour flight and sick.

I noticed these comments.....

What is a Backstreet Boy?
    Omg What Baba!
    I didn't know that BSB still toured?
    Didn't know they would release a new album.
    Who is this guy again?
    I hope he never has to deal with a serious illness.
    Funny how doctors can confirm H1N1 with out actually do a blood test done. Anyone find that strange?

................................
    These guys know nothing about Brian Littrell or the Backstreet Boys. I think they just like to complain.

October 6, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Connie

I have read that the H1N1 symptoms can be more severe than the "regular" flu. Like any flu everyone reacts somewhat differently (and recovers as different speeds), especially in severity. His description reminds me of when I had Lyme Disease and believe me I wouldn't wish that on anyone. That's body aches and head pounding that will stop you in your tracks.

October 6, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  27. meli

you talk crap .... he is very ill, and influenza H1N1, is not like a common flu is much more complicated !!.... !!... and if he says why? it's because he had to comply with their presentations, but to us it is much more important to his health!

October 6, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Patty

Omg some people are just not fair! those comments like: get over urself... is not the bigh thing !! guys we are talkin about an illness that has killed people without control!!! c'mon it's not the common flu!!
    Besides he had heart conditions in the past so he should be worried about it !!! and doing this video for the fans should be an incredible effort!! but he's a great guy very responsable with his job so he's apologyzing with all his fans! omg i only hope he gets well!! be strong Brian we all love ya and support ya! a big hug from Peru!

October 6, 2009 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  29. misha

1. As others have posted, the group had a bunch of events planned. Fans had made arrangments (vacation, travel, lodging) to attend, and he feels bad that he let them down.

2. He was getting sick as he was on a non-stop, 14+hour flight from Japan. You know how you get discomfort flying for just a few hours – ears aches, cabin too cold? Now add on the aches and pains of the flu, probably having to be quarantined from the other passengers, FOR 14 HOURS.

3. Part of the "Why me, why now?" was that he knew fans would be disappointed, and maybe, just maybe, since he was probably feverish and achy, he wasn't thinking clear to begin with. I've had colds in the past when I wanted to just muddle through it because I had projects at work, but my wife wisely told me to stay in bed (and later when I was more lucid, I thanked her). Brian was only writing what he felt at the time, when he probably wasn't thinking clearly.

October 6, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Sexy Irish Nurse

There's always gotta be jerks who try to think they know what people are going through. H1N1 is not exactly the same as the flu. Imagine being bitten by a black widow. You can only get the anti-bite serum once in your LIFE. The symptoms are like the flu x10. Swine flu can be like that too. Everyone handles pain differently. There are so many different strains of flu, ranging from cold symptoms to feeling like you're going to die. This man has spent the last 12+ years of his life working his ass off to entertain people. I'm sure he has had bumps, bruises, colds, flus, etc and still performed. You need to have a little more compassion for him. Jesus ppl.

October 6, 2009 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Monica

Get well Brian. That is the most important thing right now. You just take care of yourself and rest. We love you!

October 6, 2009 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Mouthy

H1N1 vaccine consists of 2 things a drop off water and the H1N1 AKA swine flu. I will not be a test subject for the government. Poor Backstreet Boy get well soon.

October 6, 2009 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Mandy

Wow, lots of comments.
    I know someone who actually died from H1N1. This virus is not something you wanna have, especially if you've got an underlying illness. Hopefully his immune system wasn't too weak prior to getting the H1N1. I wish him all the luck, hoping he has a speedy recovery. Yikes. I don't plan on making any trips out of the country though! Sucks that he can't see his son, but he should totally isolate himself so he doesn't risk the chance that his son will contract the virus. It kills children more often than aldults I believe.

October 6, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Paul, Atlanta, GA

This folks is called natural selection. Something humans have been very good at sidestepping for many years.
    There will certainly be a strain much more deadly than H1N1 in the future. There are simply too many people for this planet to support.
    Although this story seems elementary some might want to practice their compassion as you may need it in the future.

October 6, 2009 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Chris Peretti

Really Brian, Love 'ya but grow up. It's THE FLU FOR GOD'S SAKE!

October 6, 2009 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Michael

"I wouldn’t wish this on anybody."

Uh, too late. Most people have had the flu by the time they reach young adulthood. My 15-year old son just got over swine flu and I will readily admit that I have seen and experienced much much worse.

October 6, 2009 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  37. michael

I’ve worked with Brian. Any criticism of this thoughtful man will fall on deaf ears! He probably wrote this because he cares about the human race.

LMAO...no explanation needed. WOW!!!! What a humanitarian! Some expose the tragedy in Darfur, Rwanda and then we have people that blog on their getting H1N1. Thank God for people like Brian who undertake such horrific pain to save mankind. This could be our generations moonshot.

October 6, 2009 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Rodney

The idiots saying that H1N1 is "just the flu" obviously has not had it and really don't have the right to give an opinion since you've never experienced it. You people are just DUMB! No wonder Bush was elected for two terms.

October 6, 2009 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  39. michael

You people are cold hearted morons. If it was “Just the flu” why would the DR even care if he did promo this week ?

Get a clue...if you have a common cold they say the same thing to keep other people from getting it. My 11yr has it and even the dr at the e.r. said its not that big of a deal. Its the media, people. Everything out of proportion for ratings. Remember Y2K? Sars?

Now, as a father? it sucks watching your child be sicker than a dog. The aches suck the most. He's quarantined in his room(with a dvd player and movies) until the fever breaks, we have a 21mos old and a 3 mo old that we are keeping away. Yes, people are dying and yes it is sad. I understand it sucks to be quarantined(been there myself), but my son is taking it like a "Backstreet Man" not a "Backstreet Boy"

October 6, 2009 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  40. Brooke

I think the Brian's case of the flu is a little more alarming since he had a heart defect repaired some years back. He may be more vulnerable to the Swine Flu's affects.

Anytime someone has a pre-existing condition, they are more at risk. Praying for his recovery!

October 6, 2009 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  41. Sandra

I've worked with Brian. Any criticism of this thoughtful man will fall on deaf ears! He probably wrote this because he cares about the human race. You can be vaccinated people, without even getting a shot. To risk H1N1 is insane.

We have friends and family who have had it. A few have had mild symptoms but most people, including our own son, were dangerously ill and might have died. Two required hospitilization. Tamiflu is the only thing that lessens the severity and it has a waiting list in some areas, beyond that, the copay on our insurance would be over $100 for it. Then there's the antibiotics, and the cough medicine, and the time lost from work (2 weeks seems average) and the guilt of passing it on. Yesterday, we found out that it was brought into my workplace over the weekend. So now, we've got pregnant women who cannot come in, same for employees with small children or who have other medical issues. A good friend died this week and I'm supposed to be at a funeral on Friday, with 200 other people. It's not a normal flu and you can't operate with normal disregard.
    Feel better Brian...maybedo your cayenne water fast again when it's all over?

October 6, 2009 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  42. Ray

Leave the guy alone. Everyone each reacts differently to flu strains. Be kind...it may hit you one day. I hope he recovers well.

October 6, 2009 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  43. Susan

haters, haters, shame on you

October 6, 2009 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  44. RandiG

I really wish that this site had a filter for all the ignorant people that comment on this site. if its not one thing its another with Brian.. he has gone thru enough, especially with what happened with his son just last year.. i wish people would just leave him be.. he is sick, he doesnt need haters as well.. geez
    The H1N1 is very serious, and he needs to rest..

get well soon Brian :)

October 6, 2009 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  45. Crystle

I hope Brian gets better soon I just broke down and cried when I heard the news

October 6, 2009 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  46. T

I really don't understand why everyone is making a big deal out of this flu. People get the flu every year and some die from it but most don't welcome to the real world. I don't know why people are getting the shots or sprays for this flu either. We don't know what's in the shot and did you ever stop and think maybe this is just something else the government is putting into your bodies that can mess you up? The gov and news media do everything in there powers to scare us into thinking taking any and all drugs are good for us. NOT!!! People that take all these drugs are keeping doctors and pharmicy's in business because we've been programed into thinking that take a pill for everything. If you get the flu good old chicken noodle soup will help 100%

October 6, 2009 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  47. Pete

Some of you are such hypocrites! You so long for stars to communicate with you and you can't stand it when you can't reach the "unreachable", i.e. your favorite stars! However, you then take the opportunity to slam him/her when s/he does communicate with you. Some of you are pathetic! You know who you are!....slimsv! BTW, I hope no one catches the Swine Flu!!!!

October 6, 2009 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  48. T

Wow... harsh comments! Did anyone hear about the deaths with this flu? I'd rather have the regular flu. For those who made the harsh comments... unless you've had the "swine" flu, don't knock him.

October 6, 2009 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  49. Justin DQ

STOP whining already!! I don't know even who this Brian guy is? "Backstreet Boy" is so yesterday and so is he... If he had spare time and energy to post this then he should be OK. I feel sorry for illness people who have no home and money. People like this guy, well, whatever!!!...

October 6, 2009 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  50. Lorin

Wow some of you could be really insincere...

The media has exaggerated the swine flu to the point where people are really afraid of catching it, myself included. And, while it probably is just like the common flu, it still is pretty scary given what the media outlets have provided. And, I'm sure flying on a plane and being sick with any type of flu has to be a pretty horrible feelings.

Yes, Brian is a Backstreet Boy but that doesn't make his illness any less meaningful than your average Joe.

As a Backstreet fan and even if I were not, I wish Brian a full recovery. All he needs right now is rest and some TLC than he'll be back to his old, goofy self. It stinks that this had to happen right before the release of the new album but there are some things in life you just can not control.

It was very sweet of him to make a video explaining the situation but not necessary. He just needs rest.

KTBSPA! =) And feel better Brian! <3

October 6, 2009 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  51. RHONDA

I'm pretty sure I had this flu and it's no fun, if I were not healthly and strong I would have had to fight for my life. It is something to watch out for in our children, the ill and the elderly. I have not heard people talking out their experance with this flu, it is good to know what it is like and recognize it.

October 6, 2009 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  52. kurt

More liberal news media hyped up B.S.
    It's the flu for crying out loud, not the Black Death.
    This guy needs to get over himself.

October 6, 2009 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  53. Paul

I am APPALLED by all the negative, nasty comments on here - some of you people are downright sleazy. Just remember, what goes around comes around - you may be the next one to get H1N1 and I'm sure your tune will change real quick!

October 6, 2009 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  54. Dave

Ahaha this is hilarious. Why me?????

October 6, 2009 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  55. vball

I'll admit I'm sure H1N1 sucks just like the normal flu but it is just the flu. It's not super bad for anyone who isn't very old, very young, has a compromised immune system, or lets it go for weeks with out bed rest and the same treatments as any other illness. I don't have sympathy for him becuase he's being such a cry baby about it. "why me?" come on dude seriously wake up and realize you are just like everyone else no matter if you have an album coming out or not. Quit whining sleep it off and drink fluids and you'll be fine in a few days. I wish they'd stop making such a big deal about this. You guys do realize that thousands of people die every year from the flu and not just H1N1 either but the same ole flu that goes around every single year. We don't hear about it because it's the norm. This is a different strain and came out when the normal flu is usually dormant that's the only reason it's so different. The government is just making a huge deal out of it to get money for the vaccines from it that's all.

October 6, 2009 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  56. Daisy

I had seasonal flu earlier this year and wouldn't wish it on anybody. It's no joke people. I have underlying asthma, which made it way worse.

I have never been that sick in my life. You people who think flu is just a joke, go talk to someone who has lost a loved one to it.

October 6, 2009 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  57. corey

I had the swine flu in June, and its a lot worse than the flu, the sickness created pneumonia in my lungs and i was down for 10 days. Getting hit by a truck is an understatement, I dont wish it on anyone, but if you experience this flu (unlike anyother) you would change your mind

October 6, 2009 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  58. Shawn

H1N1 is NOT swine flu. It's not commonly know as swine flu because it's NOT the same virus.

October 6, 2009 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  59. nici

Yeah most of you need to get off your high horse. Yes some of you have had it, but I seem to remember this guy having a heart condition. I think he may even have had a transplant. His immune system probably isn't as hearty as some of yours. Cut him some slack. Yes he is a big celebrity but he was giving an honest description of how he felt. Think about if you had to do an interview or something in the middle of having the flu?

I don't even like the Backstreet Boys and I can still sympathize with the guy. The rest of you are just looking for something to rant about.

October 6, 2009 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  60. tony ruiz

Brian get well soon and get back into your life. You are a good singer and artist. Thanks for staying in your room. Good luck and see you next time, in Texas.

October 6, 2009 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  61. Alicia

OMG... This is the swine flu. I mean he DOES have an underlying heart condition. Brian is a very nice caring guy. All of the Backstreet Boys are nice. Who cares what all the negative people say. He cares and that is alot more than you all would do or say. I do agree with him on the you read about this and why me comment. I hope all you negative people get the swine flu and see how you like it and how much you complain. And for him not seeing his wife. He loves her very much and his little boy also. He is not like other celebrities that cheat and lie and are on drugs and things like that. He is a good person. Get well soon Brian.

October 6, 2009 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  62. Nicholas Simmons

Get your wife to take care of you. I'm just now getting over it (Day 5), and it wasn't that bad, except for the ache's and fever dreams that last forever. It would have been a lot worse to do it alone, and odds are 98% that your wife is going to get it anyway,along with the rest of the world. Check the CDC and see the numbers explode weekly. She'll need you to take care of her when she gets it. You'll be ok as long as you both don't come down with the fever at the same time. That's what a pandemic is, everyone is sick at the same time and nobody can take care of you because you're sick too. You can try your best not to spread it, but unless you're a hermit, you are going to be exposed eventually. Be prepared to catch it. Denial is folly when you look at the numbers. And as far as mutating viruses go, the later generations are usually worse. Better the strain from a loved one now, than later from a stranger. Take care of eachother and you'll get through this. "All for one, and one for all" will take care of this flu, you just have to get the timing right.

October 6, 2009 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  63. Mike

It is important that celebrities come forward with their experiences such as these because it provides a more powerful impact (unfortunately) than your local health professionals. Seasonal flu vaccines are now available, and in a short period of time the H1N1 vaccinations will be available. I would hate to see any of the vaccination go to waste because people didn't think it was important or didn't think it was going to happen to them. Brian Littrell's message is a good one.

October 6, 2009 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  64. Connie Perry

Angie,
    I would find it HORRIBLE to be without my family, but then again maybe that is why I have been married 17 years? Some are more family oriented then others, Brian don't get to see his because he is on the road so much, but when you are sick (really sick) to be alone and not have your family around is aweful. (for anyone, rich or not) He deserves those 1st class meals, he has worked hard to be where he is. Stop being so mean. My daugher in law got sick at work, the girls all made her go home from work, but before they did they made her sit down and eat some soup (on the house) THAT is compassion. Again, and Again if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. People should live by that, because I am sure if you were sitting in his hotel room you'd be asking what you could do for him to help him feel better. What a shame because you can't be "seen" online that you don't think your comments hurt others.

Connie Perry

October 6, 2009 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  65. DC

Personally, I give him a lot of credit for talking about how it feels. Everyone thinks this is "just another flu" but it's worse. Read Brian's account. Read. Dr. Sanjay's account. It SUCKS.

I work in human services as a rehabilitation therapist- basically my office is a human petri dish. I have an INCREDIBLY strong immune system because of all of my years in the field. I get flu shots regularly and I see my doctor a lot- because of how sick I *can* get. if proper precautions aren't taken.

And for as safe as I am- you wanna know what I got? H1N1. It sucked so much harder than any flu, illness or cold I've ever had in the past it was crazy. I was bed-ridden for 3 days straight with a fever topping out at 103.5. I give Brian a lot of credit for being safe and not spreading it to his bandmates, fans, family and hotel staff.

Think about that, the next time you're on the train, plane, bus- whatever and someone coughs or sneezes on you. :)

October 6, 2009 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  66. gus

it 's only a flu. no biggie. many people had it.

October 6, 2009 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  67. Chris

WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOME OF THE COMMENTERS ON HERE?? H1N1 is NOT exactly the same as the regular flu. I would not wish this on anyone. Don't be ignorant or naive people. Take it more seriously! Best wishes Brian!

October 6, 2009 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  68. Tally Girl

I guess you have not had the swine flu yet. I know from personal experience that it really knocks you out. First you throw up for two days and every bone in your body hurts so bad to even just move a litte, then the fever gets you that you are just in a daze for the next couple of days, then you get a sore throat and all the cold symptoms. So for the 7 to 10 days you are very sick. Yes it is the flu, but it is like no other flu that has been seen in the US.

October 6, 2009 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  69. dnote

Is it just me or does it seem that there is a large amount of women in here defending poor Brian like they know him? Comments made: "I love you babe." "Brian is a sweetheart and he rarely , if ever complains about anything so he must be feeling terrible." "This is someone who I’ve respected for years, and who is always a pleasure to be around." "This guy has performed in the craziest of places, rehearsed with strep throat, muscle sprains, after days without sleep."

It's obvious you ladies feel like you know him, well, you don't. Quit lying to yourselves. You'll never be famous. You'll never be Brians wife. He doesn't know you, nor does he care too. You are the ones who should get a grip.

October 6, 2009 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  70. Gena

Most people on here has not had a loved one to die with this or you would be more compassionate. I have known several who have had it and it is different for everyone. But you will change your mind if it happens to YOUR family!

October 6, 2009 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  71. Scott

LOL D-Rod. was the word you were looking for "idiots"? Granted all I have is a Bachelors degree but in my 40 years of life I don't believe I have ever the the word "idoits". But then again I'm just an "idoit" so...................Putz

October 6, 2009 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  72. Debi Babin

Brian, as a registered nurse, I thank you for being a responsibile adult and not exposing others to this illness. Tulsa recently had a healthy 16 year old boy get sick with this one day and die the next. Everyone has different immune systems, so it is not so much the illness, but each individuals ability to fight it. THANK YOU!!!

October 6, 2009 at 9:40 am | Report abuse |
  73. c.d.

I like the fact that when Dr. Sanjay Gupta reported about his experiences with the H1N1 virus, there was nothing but sympathy for him. Here we are, just a few short weeks later, and a Backstreet Boy has contracted the virus. Suddenly, there is nothing but criticism for this man. Is it just because he happens to be a member of the Backstreet Boys? If so, you all need to get a life! Fan or not, all this man is trying to do is relay to his fans and the public his own personal experience with the H1N1 virus. I am sure he isn't seeking sympathy, but a little compassion, I am sure, would be greatly appreciated.

And on a side-note, Brian Littrell had open heart surgery in 1998 to repair a hole in his heart. I am sure that if he finds the H1N1 virus something to complain about, it must not be very pleasant for him!!!

Get well soon, Brian!

October 6, 2009 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
  74. Annoyed

It's only all over the news because they need to get people all panic stricken to get ratings and make you watch. Pathetic. Hundreds of people die from the regular flu every year too, but it's so common that they don't publicize.

October 6, 2009 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  75. Matthew

I have just gotten over Swine Flu that I battled for 2 weeks, 5 days of which I was hospitalized. I am a disabled vet from my Iraq and Afghanistan operations, I think I would have chosen another bullet wound than to go through that crude "flu" again. Seriously!

October 6, 2009 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  76. oh please

Yo....A CAVITY in your tooh can give you a BAD HEART. (google it) but do you hear people complaining that they havent seen a dentist in a few years despite brushing daily?

you can die from ANYTHING. Drink too much water, it overflows into your lungs.

grow up people. why is this on the news? Because he is part of a band that is only talented due to its lead singer?

shesh

October 6, 2009 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  77. BSB Fan

Sorry to hear you're not well. Hope you feel better soon! Take care of yourself!

October 6, 2009 at 9:25 am | Report abuse |
  78. Minou

Brian and the Backstreet Boys (BSB) are all about the fans! That is why I think he shared his experience the way he did. The BSB were supposed to meet a lot of fans in NYC and participate in a Breast Cancer Awareness event this week... I think that if he would have caught swine flu during his private time at home, he would not have shared it with everyone on the internet.

Get well soon Brian!!! I am looking forward to seeing you on stage in Frankfurt in November!

October 6, 2009 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  79. Megan

I find the reaction others are having comical. Everyone thought it was the best thing in the world when Sanjay Gupta blogged about his case of H1N1 but now because it is a celebrity it is whining?

First, he was writing in to CNN as a follow-up on an article THEY chose to write on him.

Second, Brian seemed the most upset at disappointing his fans! Less that the flu was painful and more that he had commitments and it was frustrating to not live up to them.

Thanks for sharing the experience Brian (love BSB btw ;)) and hope you feel better soon!

October 6, 2009 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  80. Bill, Bloominton IL

SLIMSV: you must be the lonely one. You turned this conversation into a political forum on war. Whats the matter? No one listens to you? Since I have not had H1N1, I dont know what it is like. Looks like alot of these bloggers have had it because they sure think they know alot about it.

October 6, 2009 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  81. my2centsworth

Okay people. Many many folks throw the word "flu" around when it is not more than a mild virus or infection of some sort. FLU is:
    –at 8:00 in the morning you are afraid you might die
    –by 5:00 in the afternoon you are afraid you might NOT die.
    I had the FLU ONCE....20 years ago. Flat on my back (FLAT) for over a week. All the resources in the world just to get to the bathroom...no reading, no talking, no eating, no drinking, no nothing...just laying there wishing you were dead (not kidding). Joint pain like you have NO conception of. I've been a steadfast advocate of the flu shot ever since. NEVER again...if I can help it. I don't care if you are a singer or a newsman or a schoolteacher. The FLU is not something you would wish on your worst enemy.

October 6, 2009 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  82. munchmom

Many of you need to read Sanjay Gupta's description of his swine flu experience while he was in Afghanistan. He said it was horrible and he was down for several days. Don't diminish this just because it is a young man who happens to be a music star. He is human and he also happens to be possibly more vulnerable because of his heart condition. And his son has a heart condition, so he understandably wants to keep his family safe. Quit being so cruel and hateful...

October 6, 2009 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  83. How do you spell protection

This is unbelievable. Do these people have jobs or just too much time on their hands. I feel bad that Brian got the flu and happy to know he is recovering. Yes this is sappy and of questionable newsworthyness, but it takes guts to put this out there for everyone to see. Now get some rest and go back and enjoy your time with Kathy Griffin on the 'D' list.

I guess the important lesson is that this be caught before it spreads to pandemic level and mutates so the vaccine offers little or no protection. I am in one of the higher risk catagories and will get my shot when it becomes available, Till then i keep thanking every day I don't get sick.

October 6, 2009 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  84. John

What is a Backstreet boy?

October 6, 2009 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  85. Chrissy

I have almost come to the point of not reading viewer comments anymore simply because people are redundant, ridiculous, and just mean. CNN isn't asking us as readers of their stories to comment on someone's personal feelings, but rather on the quality of their capability to report the story. What is wrong with so many people that you would take it upon yourselves to berate Mr. Litrell so harshly when he simply responded to a request for an account of his situation is his own words? It doesn't matter what type of sickness anyone has, we should just allow them to deal with it in whatever way they need to and not judge them or make hateful comments towards them because they might feel something worse or different than us. Seriously folks, you need to find better outlets for the pent up anger you seem to be carrying. PEACE

October 6, 2009 at 9:01 am | Report abuse |
  86. Chris

If people say they had the flu and were able to get out of bed then they did not have the flu. The flu knocks you on your butt for at least a day or two. People don't get the flu 'from time to time'. It's something you get once every 10 or 20 years. I'm 48 and have had it once as an adult and it was the worst. I couldn't raise my head off the pillow for the first day. The second day I was able to sit up a bit but could not get out of bed. The third day I was able to get up and take a bath. I missed work for four days and wasn't fully recovered for 3 weeks. So get a clue you ignorant morons. You probably all had bad colds.

October 6, 2009 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  87. Jeez

Uhm I had swine flu... It really wasn't that big of a deal. The people that died are the ones with weak immune systems, that's why they're dying. These people would most likely die from the regular flu, people die from billions of diseases every day, but the news doesn't cover them, so you don't hear about it. I had it. I got over it. No big deal.

October 6, 2009 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  88. Momma

Hope you feel better! Swine flu or everyday flu, nothing about that is fun.

October 6, 2009 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |
  89. Steve

Good grief, you would think he was dying. And he can't see his wife for a couple of day. Boo hoo!

October 6, 2009 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  90. TropicalFlower

It's amazing to see the unsensitive comments like, "C'mon it's just the flu!" I all that have been saying such things haven't been reading the news and are ignorant as to how fatal this type of flu actually is. Just this month in my city, an 11 year old, 14 year old, and 40 year old all died of the Swine Flu that a few of you are calling "no big deal." All three were perfectly healthy! Ignorance is the reason so many are dying, infecting others with the virus and are too late for treatment when the virus starts to really tackle their immune systom. All of us should not take this virus lightly and get medical attention as soon as possible when we start seeing any signs of becoming ill, not just for yourselves, but for others. You are in our prayers Brian, hope that your recover soon and that no one around you falls ill to the virus.

October 6, 2009 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  91. rachele

There are some incredibly hateful people posting here. No matter what form of flu it is, the flu sucks, period.

October 6, 2009 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  92. ryan mccarthy

Seriously, just went out and bought 4 bottles of that Purell! Crazy ful stuff.

October 6, 2009 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  93. Angie

My daughter just got over this. First they do a rapid flu test and assume it is H1N1 because the regular flu is not usually seen this early. For a person with health problems this is even more deadly to them so they have every right to complain.

October 6, 2009 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  94. kendra Fults

Poor you why does it have to happen to the hot guys who r in a band.I just hope that you can get over it and be on your way making more songs. Get over it soon Brian!!!!

October 6, 2009 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  95. Rachel

Brian you did the right thing as not getting close to anybody else.

Thank you for being understaing and caring and I hope you are feeling a whole lot better.

October 6, 2009 at 8:36 am | Report abuse |
  96. Cat

H1N1 has hit our area pretty hard. Seymour, TN. A good friend of mine from High School just lost his wife. She was a nurse, mother, sister, daughter, wife and friend. She was only 43 and died from complications of H1N1. She leaves behind her husband and two young boys. Another friend's 13 yr old son had it the second week of school in August and couldn't even bend his legs or walk. He was in so much pain that they had to pretty much carry him to the Dr. I haven't had it and I don't want it.

October 6, 2009 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  97. Peggy

I believe most cases of flu right now are being considered H1N1 because the seasonal flu season hasn't begun yet. And does it really matter which it is. Both can be fatal. I feel sympathy with anyone who even has a mild case of the flu.

October 6, 2009 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  98. holly waterman

sorry to hear that.. i hope you will be okay soon....

October 6, 2009 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  99. D-Rod

Any of you people that made those stupid remarks regarding Brian from the Backstreet Boys are a bunch of (in all due respect) idoits. The H1N1 is not the typical flu its a bit worse. and thos who claim that they had it. was it confrimed from a doctor? You will not want this flu to hit you . Have some compassion. You get over yourselves.

October 6, 2009 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  100. Val

Just say NO to the H1N1 shot.

October 6, 2009 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  101. Natalie

people are thinking omg he should calm down it isnt that serious when you have a underlying condition & he has a Heart condition it does matter...

I hope he feels better soon...

October 6, 2009 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  102. Mary W

All you critics have never had a severe form of the flu. Why do you think some people die from it?

October 6, 2009 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  103. Barb

Let's see what happens when all you negative bloggers get the swine flu, how you will react.....all you people act before you speak, and then when it happens to you, it's the worst thing in the world and you want pity....

October 6, 2009 at 7:47 am | Report abuse |
  104. sumsum

omg what a baby!

October 6, 2009 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  105. Tom

Boy, there sure are a lot of ignorant people on this board!!!

October 6, 2009 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  106. Carol

Give the guy a break. He doesn't claim to be dying. The flu doesn't feel good for anyone. Some get it worse than others. H1N1 is nothing to mess with.

October 6, 2009 at 6:45 am | Report abuse |
  107. Lisa

"Why me?" – Are you serious? We're not talking about cancer here. This dude is either a dim bulb or one selfish jerk.

October 6, 2009 at 6:39 am | Report abuse |
  108. Amanda

This message is to "john" – the supposed medical doctor. Since you are an ignorant, misinformed being, I'll clue you in. Brian is a member of the Backstreet Boys, a group that has been together since 1992. They have NEVER broken up, they simply took ONE break in the early 2000's. During that time, all of the other "boy bands" of the 90's broke up, and ever since Backstreet Boys came back from their short break, every CD is dubbed the "comeback" CD. They have been back since 2005, constantly recording, releasing albums and touring the world. They have sold just short of 100 million albums. They have a very loyal and dedicated fan base, fans in every country, and continue to be the best vocal harmony group around. Their music is unlike any of the crap found on radio today. They always sing live, unlike other artists who lip sync their way to popularity. Also, most importantly, unlike Justin Timberlake who has managed to remain popular, NONE of the Backstreet Boys would ever treat their fans the way he does. They respect and love their fans, they go out of their way to make us happy. Unlike Justin, who spits on, pushes, curses at and otherwise proves that he has no respect at all for his fans. So, if you want to call any or all of the Backstreet Boys a "has-been" – you go for it. It's not true and will reflect your ignorance only. They may not be as mainstream as they once were, but they are far better – musically and as human beings – than any other popular artist (or any artist period, in my opinion). I have stood behind them since 1997 and I will continue to forever. GET WELL SOON, BRIAN!

October 6, 2009 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  109. BackstreetGirl

Wow, I'm not believing all the negative people here. If it's "just like the regular flu" then tell me why we have a new vaccine for it. Tell me why people have DIED from it. I can't recall the last time I heard of someone completely healthy dying from the flu. You know why? Because this IS NOT like the regular flu.

Everyone who thinks he's overreacting, here's to hoping next time you get sick that there's someone there telling you to get a life, grow up, and stop overreacting.

I wish Brian a very speedy recovery. He's an amazing guy and of all the people in the world this could happen to, I agree, why him?
    Take care of yourself, Brian. All of your true fans will be waiting patiently for you to get well because we know your health should always come before anything else. Love you! :-)

October 6, 2009 at 6:20 am | Report abuse |
  110. Thor

Wow, I didn't know that Backstreet Boys still toured. Didn't know they would release a new album. I didn't even know they still existed.

Well, that has of course changed now – now that Brian-whatshisname has revealed upon us, that he came down with a case of the sneezers! Gosh, can hardly keep on to my wallet – sell me the ticket! Sell me the shirt! And the record! And the single! NOT!

Dare I say that this is the most pathetic, thinly disguised attempt to promote a washed out boy-group from the 90's EVER.

The last time I heard something similar pathetic, was Kurt Cobain whining about his flatulency. But he wasn't trying to promote a new album – he was simply trying to excuse his heroin-addiction.

But I already see another breaking news on CNN – despite his on-going battle with athletes foot, Robbie Williams will continue his comeback tour and...

October 6, 2009 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
  111. don't by the hype

I have a feeling either This guy wants the hype for his new record or people are trying to scare us. "Oh no, you might get a flu during flu season! run away!"

October 6, 2009 at 5:38 am | Report abuse |
  112. Rodriguez

next : how the Backstreet Boy had a swine flu vaccination shot and got miraculously cured!
    CNN – get a grip
    people – do you really believe this whole story? how can you tell if it's true? anybody could"ve written it.

October 6, 2009 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  113. paula

WOW people are rude over here!
    Leave the guy alone...do you know getting sick is the worst thing that could happen to an artist who just has a record out?!

And this flu isn't a normal flu, it's called the swine flu. People died of this flu. Yes, Brian will get better BUT you didn't relealise that he has a hart problem. People with hart problems and flu's don't mix! So think before you post anything.

Get well soon Brian!

October 6, 2009 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
  114. Protect your health!

Be careful people. "Swine flu" is not remotely as dangerous as the normal "flu wave" that occurs every winter in the northern hemisphere.

What is really dangerous, though, and without any chance to predict the consequences, is the so-called H1N1 "vaccine" which is certainly going to fill the pockets of a certain industry, but who puts your health at an absolutely unpredictable risk (see last mass vaccination in 1976).

So, don't get fooled by the propaganda and fear-mongering you are going to see over the next weeks and months. The greatest risk is a "vaccine" that has never been effectively tested and that was "designed" for a virus that has, since then (i.e. several months ago), changed significantly.

H1N1 can be treated and cured easily (in fact, with much less complications than regular flu), and there is no reason to put your health at risk by taking a "vaccine" with possibly very dangerous and unknown "side-effects". Beware that not everything that is lucrative for some very powerful corporations is really good for your health!

October 6, 2009 at 5:26 am | Report abuse |
  115. Trindi

trust me, it is not just "the flu"....it is a very serious version of the flu that can kill you and is nothing to play with. The way he has described it is correct. I was quarantined for a week because of it.

October 6, 2009 at 5:23 am | Report abuse |
  116. flumeister

Swine Flu mortality rate is 0.7%, regular Flu mortality rate 2-20%, varying by region. I would worry more about Guillain-Barré syndrome, being sick for a few days is nothing compared to permanent neurological damage. I would not recommend getting the shot unless you're infirm or a feeble old geezer.

October 6, 2009 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
  117. aduh

Read the article before you comment, and read it thoroughly..I know this is difficult for some of you but it is a short article so try a little harder. His doctor first told him he had the symptoms for the swine flu..and as someone in the medical field I can tell you that the symptoms are not all the same, there are more symptoms for the swine flu and they are more harsh. It states that it really hit home for him when the doctor confirmed it was the h1n1 virus. The person who said that they aren't even testing for it anymore should probably find out the truth before they comment...hospitals are still testing for it but only in severe cases. For those of you who have actually been diagnosed with h1n1, maybe you haven't had cancer or heart problems and your immune system is fine. People with weak immune systems from having cancer or any major health problems can barely handle the flu, let alone swine flu. There is a difference, some cases are more severe than others which is also the case with the regular flu. You people act like you don't complain about things on a daily basis...get over yourselves!

October 6, 2009 at 4:33 am | Report abuse |
  118. Kat

Unbelievable. Watch the video Brian posted on Youtube – anyone can see the man is struggling to keep his eyes open and speak he is that ill, yet he felt he owed his fans an apology and explanation. Then on top of that, he wrote in to this website.
    To all the 'naysayers' – would you make the same effort if you were that ill?
    Get well soon Brian.

October 6, 2009 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
  119. John Lee

I'm not a fan of the Backstreet Boys, but give the guy a break. He's relaying how he felt as a follow-up AFTER an article was written about him. If H1N1 didn't affect you as bad, then good for you. I can't imagine you'd walk up to someone sick in bed and yell at him/her to suck it up, no matter what they've got. Thanks, Internet, you've made anonymous crusaders out of all of us. . .

October 6, 2009 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
  120. WTF

slimsv...I really hope that every time you get hurt, sick, depressed....really anything all you have to say about it is that you are happy you don't live in one of those devastated countries or all that other stuff. But for some reason, I find it really hard to believe you do. So stop being a freaking hypocrite and lighten up. I mean a famous person gets a new strain of the flu, it makes him feel terrible. So what does he do? He makes a myspace blog or what ever about it. The only difference between what he did and what anyone else would do? He's semi-famous. I say semi-famous because honestly I didn't even know they were still around and that's what made me click on this link in the first place. So moral of my post? Stop being hypocrites and lighten up!

October 6, 2009 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
  121. Ruth

geez...some of u are really mean!!! Brian was asked about his experience and he was honest. I just hope he does"nt read these nasty comments and if he does, I hope he isn;t bothered because he knows that the people who love him and care, wish him a speedy recovery!

October 6, 2009 at 3:48 am | Report abuse |
  122. Vani

I'm laughing over here. No, not at Brian. Brian has all my sympathy and love. But I'm laughing at the comments. It's true that it's the flu and not ebola and that therefore he's going to be just fine in a few days, but how many of you scream and complain when you're sick with a mild cold (I know I do)?

To the fans: he'll be fine, keep your heads up (and go buy the album while you're at it).

To the haters: I wish you all the best in your lives, whatever they may be used for. And I really hope none of you get sick from this flu.

October 6, 2009 at 3:38 am | Report abuse |
  123. Jay

I can't believe CNN would justify this by garbage by displaying it on their website. I feel bad for the guy but this is not even close to newsworthy. I guess journalism really is dead.

October 6, 2009 at 3:37 am | Report abuse |
  124. Laurie

I'm not very familiar with this musician, but I do appreciate him sharing his flu experience with the public. As for the bashers – everyone is different, you know? For some people the flu might feel bad, for others it might feel like he or she is at death's door.

October 6, 2009 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |
  125. mary

Blah, blah, blah, blah..
    To everyone that is poo pooing this guy..
    He is sick..He has the flu..If it's regular flu, he is still sick..If it's swine flu he is doing what he should..Staying away from other people..
    Cut him some slack..
    Good grief~! He is SICK~!

October 6, 2009 at 3:22 am | Report abuse |
  126. afdslkh

Show me the meaning...of being lonely

October 6, 2009 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  127. Mr.E

This is comedy. Not the boy band guy, but all of our posts. This past weekend, I got regular flu and anthrax vaccinations, then went out and got piss drunk. I felt like hell the next day, and I I was only a little compromised. Sure, this guy is a celebrity, but he's also a person. I'm sure he didn't call up CNN and ask them to report on his condition, they just grabbed the story off his twitter or something because its sensational (albeit in a minor sort of way). He's sick. Pure and simple. If your sister, or your father was ill with the ol' pig sick, you'd call up and say "oh, you poor thing, that must suck, I'm so sorry for you." Have the exact same compassion for this guy as you would for a stranger, because that's what he is. Or just ignore this story. But don't slag him for being sick and firing off emails and twitters about it, because you do it too. A couple of comments are from people who've had it. You lived, but I'm certain it wasn't any fun. Be human for crissakes y'all.He's just a sick dude. The story's only entered the public consciousness because CNN grabbed it to rope you in. Ignore the source and join the human race. A little positivity and a little compassion. It won't fix the world, but it'll help us be better at sharing this small space with one another. Mr. Littrell, if you happen to read these comments; one stranger to another: Get well soon.

October 6, 2009 at 3:10 am | Report abuse |
  128. Debbie and family

My husband got it on a Friday, I got it on Saturday, my son got it on Sunday, and my daughter got it on Monday. It put us all down in bed for about 4 days. It was bad. We were all so sick that we couldn't help ourselves, much less anyone else in the house. I hope everyone keeps their guard up. It's a bad one. High fever, body aches, a cough that comes from your toes, and a bad headache that nothing takes away. We each lost 5-10 pounds. My husband has worked at the same place for 11 years and has never called in sick. He just couldn't get out of bed. I called in sick for him, just before I caught it. We all took a few days off, we had no choice, and it was the right thing to do. It's bad. Stay home if you get it. Don't spread it. We got it because someone that my husband works with came to work sick and after a couple hours they sent him home. And it spread through the building. Thanks alot! And to all the mean people out there that haven't gotten it yet. You better hope you don't get it. You will wish you hadn't been so mean and unsympathetic. Get well soon to anyone who gets it. The best thing about getting it is we won't get it again! Good Luck everyone.

October 6, 2009 at 3:09 am | Report abuse |
  129. A.D.

To the woman who said that he is just whining and maybe it's because he's never had to experience a C-section like her:

Umm . you're right – Brian didn't have a C-Section, he just had his chest sawed open, his ribs pulled apart ,had his heart stopped and taken out of his chest cavity, in order to fix the two holes in his tricuspid valve that were causing his heart to dangerously enlarge and slowly killing him!! That's all!! What a bunch of ignorant people. Unbelievable.

October 6, 2009 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
  130. Tiffany

Here's to his health. I hope he gets better. :)

The same goes for everyone who's contracted this thing.

October 6, 2009 at 2:58 am | Report abuse |
  131. Logic

Wow, calm down people. Sickness hits everybody differently, and to him, it hit him hard. Quit judging him. Y'all don't know his pain tolerance and doesn't he already suffer from health problems, or a heart condition of some sort? Most people don't really expect it to hit them, so why is it being taken as him overreacting?

Think about it, he went from feeling on top of the world with new work, preparing to meet fans, and waiting to see his wife, to being painfully sick (to him), having to let down fans (in a sense), and not being able to be around anyone (while on the road and probably already feeling lonely). It's not like he's one of the celebrities always in the news complaining about how 'tough' they have it, so give him a break. He seems like a genuinely nice guy.

October 6, 2009 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  132. angie

Wow! Apologies to Ms. Perry but if not seeing your spouse for a few days constitues "HORRIFYING" I'd hate to see the day you're faced with true tragedy! A 5 year old child died from this pandemic in my city just last week. I'm sure she didn't have the finest medical care money can buy, like Mr. Latrell must have. Maybe I'm being insensitive.....How tragic to have to ask room service to leave your first class meal at the door! How 'horrifying' to have to chill in a luxe hotel being waited on and pampered. I'm sure it's a terrible condition to have and I don't mean to make light of it but in reality, to hear this "musician" whine about how hard it is to be him right now is PITIFUL and PATHETIC!

October 6, 2009 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  133. tessa

obviously many of you don't even know what H1N1 is. This is not just ordinary flu,it KILLS hundreds of people in Brazil alone. It is a dangerous disease even WHO classified it as a pandemic.So do some research before you start booing people.

October 6, 2009 at 1:57 am | Report abuse |
  134. KITTY

HOW COULD THIS DOCTOR IMMEDIATLEY DIAGNOSE WITH "ITS ALL THE SYMPTOMS" WHEN THE SYMPTOMS ARE THAT OF ORDIANRY FLU????? wITHOUT TESTING IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DIAGNOSE SWINE FLU. AND IT TAKES TIME FOR TESTS RESULTS. MY WONDERMENT IS WAS THERE A TEST TAKEN?

October 6, 2009 at 1:56 am | Report abuse |
  135. Open Your Eyes

You get over YOUR self Brad , and lots of people care about Brian , so you really have no clue what you are talking about ,

Get well soon B-Rok :-)

October 6, 2009 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  136. yes

i agree with everything that Rude said. brian has a right to complain. we all complain, and then we criticize someone for complaining. maybe brian has never been really sick like that. and like rude said, the flu can make people really sick, and not really sick at all. everyone has different reactions.

October 6, 2009 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  137. Connie Perry

You know I read some of these comments and I am just sitting here kind of shocked, I can't believe how mean people can really be. I would be HORRIFIED if I had to tell my husband he couldn't even see me while I was so sick. (so would he) much less our kids. Never mind the fact of being sick, or having to worry about letting a whole lot of people down because "he" can't do what he is supposed to. What happened to empathy, sympathy, or everyday common courtesy, how plain and simple "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. I am not a fan, only a mom that knows the backstreet boys through my 4 kids, and what person has NEVER said "why me." Please, think about what you are saying before you say it, if I was him and read these post I would feel even worse then what the flu did. God bless you Brian and I hope you feel tons better soon. Ignore those that have no compassion.

Connie Perry

October 6, 2009 at 1:09 am | Report abuse |
  138. stephanie

I had H1N1 over the summer, yes it sucked but after a week it was gone no big deal

October 6, 2009 at 1:08 am | Report abuse |
  139. Patty

I can't remember the last time I read so many stupid comments, but we must take comfort in their probable sources. We must also thank the universe that the comments are probably not coming from future doctors; these people are more likely going to be taking your money at the gas station. Hopefully, they won't reproduce too many times. H1N1 is reported to be bad for the old, children and, for some reason, younger adults. This strain of the flu can hit very hard. It isn't just 'the flu' for some people. Step up as human being or sit down and shut up.

October 6, 2009 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  140. Brad

Nobody cares, Brian. As many others have already said – get over yourself.

October 6, 2009 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  141. Julie

you would have thought that he contracted the ebola virus.

October 6, 2009 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  142. suckerFree

these guys saying blah blah its not bad well its all relative. its not the black plague no but truth is its the only flu that targets our age range as being deadly so i think thats enough problem for me. see how serious the flu is for the elderly and now see that the h1n1 is more seroius for us 18-35 year olds than the regular flu is for elderly.

sure it "probalby" won't kill you but in fact it might so you wish it on someone i wont

October 6, 2009 at 12:48 am | Report abuse |
  143. Open Your Eyes

What you fail to realise is that Brian felt bad that he could not fulfill his appearance for the fans, some of whom had travelled a long way and had caught several flights to see the BSB , I know he feels terrible about it, even though it;s not his fault , and sick as he is, he STILL took time to try to explain to fans what had happened , so cut the guy some slack , I admire him immensly for making a video from his sick bed apologising for not being able to do the meet and greet with the fans , and the rest of the guys could not go either under advice from officials , which I'm sure made them all feel bad.
    The reason WHY the BSB have such a strong following still is because they are extremely considerate towards their fans , they are such good hearted guys , so leave them be if you don't have anything good to say.

October 6, 2009 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  144. gina

are you kidding me......why me? this self-centered jerk has the flu, not cancer. how pathetic can you truly be? his meet & greet got screwed up, big freakin' deal. in a few weeks he will be back on his come back tour – get a life, a little common sense, and compassion.

October 6, 2009 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  145. mike

not real news...

October 6, 2009 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  146. charlie chaps

my friend died from it

October 6, 2009 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  147. Dude

I don't think a lot of the people that are complaining this is an overreaction quite understand. As a huge fan of the group, I can say that I think Brian will do just fine, but I think what the big "deal" is about, is that Brian, as all hardcore fans would know, is that he has a HEART CONDITION. Which could make this worse for him than "any other person with the flu".

October 6, 2009 at 12:38 am | Report abuse |
  148. ginger

Jeez people...the guy's sick. He feels like crap, and at the moment it feels like a big deal.

If he were looking for sympathy votes two months after the fact, that would be one thing. But OF COURSE he's mopey right now. He has the FLU!!

As for why this is worth posting as news at all...I think it helps to have first-person accounts of swine flu. It's gotten blown up as some mythical super-virus in people's minds. Reading about recognizable people who had it, got over it, and got on with it might help to calm some of the hysteria.

Feel better, Brian. Lots of sleep and fluids!

October 6, 2009 at 12:33 am | Report abuse |
  149. MJ

I had H1N1 also... and it IS miserable....... I'm glad you're feeling better. Screw these people making fun of you.

October 6, 2009 at 12:23 am | Report abuse |
  150. wow

some of the comments on this page are heartless and cold.
    get better brian :)

and btw nicole he had open heart surgery at 23 years old. his record company MADE him perform even after his heart surgery and had oxygen tanks near the stage just incase he fainted... so yeah i think he has been sick. but thanks for being a heartless *ss :)

October 6, 2009 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  151. Linn

"Wow. Does this guy ever get sick. A few days and he was lonely. I hope he never has to deal with a serious illness. Get well Brian..or should I say get real."

Considering that he almost died of a heart murmur at a young age and had major heart surgery at 24, I'd say he knows what it is like to deal with a serious illness.

Doesn't mean that he can't lament about a lesser illness and the timing of the whole thing. Who doesn't complain about missing this and that when they're sick? Perfectly natural human reaction. Or is almost everyone in this thread so much better and ready for sainthood that their first thoughts are of poverty and famine in Africa when they're ill? Get real.

People are being pretty harsh. I don't see him overreacting as people say he is. He isn't acting like he's dying here. CNN wanted him to write something about what he's experiencing right now, and he's just telling it like it is. Is he supposed to say that being sick with swine flu is great and he hasn't felt better? And considering the fact that there are many fans who traveled from Mexico to see him today, it is understandable that he's upset about the timing of it all and letting his fans down.

October 6, 2009 at 12:18 am | Report abuse |
  152. Sarah

H1N1 kills FAR FEWER people than the regular flu. Get your facts straight.

And I just got over it and it was NOT the worst flu I've ever had. Not even close. Yes it's achey but really, he is so over-reacting to this. I was sick for 8 days – 5 with a fever. But it's the flu. Whatever.

But maybe this is because I'm a woman that's had 2 C-sections...

October 6, 2009 at 12:16 am | Report abuse |
  153. Dan

practically half my university has had either flu or swine flu this year, and we're not even through mid-terms yet. suck it up!

October 6, 2009 at 12:08 am | Report abuse |
  154. Rachel

As with any flu, you should always take precautions, out of consideration for others, to take any measures tha tyou are able to in order to avoid someone contracting the illness from you. There's no over reaction – the regular flu kills every year, and H1N1 kills too. No matter what type of flu, you SHOULD be avoiding other people. If you have the financial means to be somewhere else that eliminates or atleast minimizes contact with others, then why not?!?! It also gives the person adequate rest, in order to over his/her own illness.

October 6, 2009 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  155. Ellishka

I jus had swine flu and it was not pretty. Everybody is different. Give a guy a break. Yes, what he had experienced is nothing compared to tsunami or post hurricane Catrina, some of you are right. But we are not talking about world disasters and suffering. Just swine flu. I was sick for 10 days and there was a night when I thought that I will not make it. Just this crazy thought, this animal fear that I will not live till morning. I don't do drama and this time I was really scared.

October 6, 2009 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  156. Wow

Hmmm, Huh, and the rest of the critics, thanks for your diagnoses however, you may want to check your medical licences-I'm not sure you're permitted to give your professional medical opinions on a blog, are you?

October 6, 2009 at 12:06 am | Report abuse |
  157. George A R.

Another Zombie Swine... soon we will have to fight them off our lands and away from our children...soon they will attack.....Swine Zombies.

October 6, 2009 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  158. J V

why does the media keep calling it the swine flu?. Even cnn calls it the swine flu in one article and h1n1 in another.

October 6, 2009 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  159. Rude

I'm still in shock from all you heartless people out there.....

Just like the FLU – H1N1 is effecting everyone differently... Some get really sick, some don't.

He was only ASKED what he is feeling, he told the truth. And from being a BSB Fan for over 13 years, why would he start lying now...

My word people... grow up. And it's funny, I bet the people hear whining that he needs to "sack up" are the FIRST PEOPLE TO CALL IN SICK TO WORK WITH A LITTLE COUGH!!!

Yet, Brian, who would have to interacted with 1000s of people today and tomorrow, can't complain just a little with H1N1.

I think you people need to sack up and get over yourselves.

October 5, 2009 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  160. mammaduck

They don't call it the flu for nothing! But... c'mon! CNN has only posted those that say "OMG! I got the swine flu and thought I was gonna DIE!!" How about posting one the majority of the cases that was like ours and everybody else I know. Meh! We got sick but it wasn't that bad.

October 5, 2009 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  161. Stephanie

For all the negative people with rude comments....I hope the Swine Flu doesnt get you...cause you be feeling just as crappy as Brian is!!

For you non-BSB fans...the boys really care about us (the fans) and they hate it when they let us down....even when they are get sick..they apologize even thought they don't have to!

Just be thankful all of you negative people that your not in his place!

Brian...get better dude...u know the fans are here to back you up!!

October 5, 2009 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  162. Neal

Why are people always so cynical today? There is nothing at all wrong with Brian apologizing to his fans about missing a fan event due to getting the flu. And the fact that he took the time to make the video while looking and feeling like crap shows that his intentions were selfless. Brian is an awesome talent and one the the nicest and most sincere guys around. I, for one..... along with many others I'm sure, appreciate him sharing what's going on in his life and hope he feels better soon. As for the whiners on this board, go play in some traffic.

October 5, 2009 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  163. A.D.

Maybe you should all know your facts before you spout your smart-*ss remarks – – Brian Littrell has a history of heart problems, almost died and had to have open- heart surgery when he was just 23 years old. Consequently, this flu is much more of a concern for him than the average Joe. Though his heart has been fixed, the surgeons told him that there is a chance he could face problems in the future. This man has been through a lot, so when he says this has been a particularly rough illness, I believe him. Brian Littrell is not a whiner or complainer – he has performed when very ill many times with grace and dignity, something that many of you who commented seem to lack.

October 5, 2009 at 11:28 pm | Report abuse |
  164. Open Your Eyes

You people are cold hearted morons. If it was "Just the flu" why would the DR even care if he did promo this week ?
    Obviously he wants to limit contact with the public because it IS a very serious strain of the flu.

When did people get so heartless anyway ?

You cold hearted Jerks who posted such things are obviously totally selfish and uncaring human beings.

Get well soon Brian ,
    God Bless You.

October 5, 2009 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  165. john

Amazing that this is news-worthy information. I'm a medical doctor, and the latest estimates are that something like 30-50 million Americans will come down with the H1N1 strain of the flu. Who is this guy again? Some has-been singer from the 90s trying to make a comeback? He'd better get ready, because he's about to be part of a very large group of people who have contracted the swine flu, which will make him just another plain old American 'backstreet boy'.

October 5, 2009 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  166. Cookie, RN

geesh, you guys are wicked... the regular flu, not the H1N1 (hiney :), can land a person helpless with symptoms for anywhere from 24 to 48 hours and then the cold symptoms may set in (sinus infection etc.). The H1N1 flu is somewhat worse and affects people differently, some with reported worsening symptoms. Get vaccinated for both the regular flu and the hiney flu. And then hope you don't get the flu and end up like the backstreet boy...

October 5, 2009 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  167. Nicole

October 5, 2009 at 11:15 pm | Report abuse |
  168. Mookie

You can always count on the self-righteous *sses to come out of the woodwork to proclaim their superiority. Brian L. didn't say "Oh whoah is me..feel sorry for MEEEE". He's just describing how fast & furious this flu can hit a person. I had this flu a month ago. It DOES suck. I remember distinctly thinking, "it's too much to sit up, so I'll just lay here". It wipes you OUT.

All the pompous twits in here can suck it.

October 5, 2009 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  169. meera lee

the regular flu is killing many more people than swine flu...in fact no one is getting tested for swine flu anymore so we have no way to know what indeed is going around any more. Anyhoo- you can keep your formaldahyde and mercury to have with your breakfast. Me, i'll take my homeopathic and herbals and take my chances. Oh, I work with an herbalist so have some experience.

October 5, 2009 at 11:14 pm | Report abuse |
  170. swt t

I agree – he's not overreacting. From personal experience – even just 6 hours cramped up on a plane when you are WELL makes you feel stiff and miserable – That's why frequent flyers have to have stretch and have massages to avoid getting thromboses (blood circulation clots). So I would think being sick in travel – even with a bad cold, much less the swine flu, you would feel dreadful.

Add to that – think about how when you are really sick and feel really bad – all you want to do is stay in bed – the LAST thing you want to do when you are sick is be outside your house running around anywhere – but especially in airports and large cities. That is why people STAY HOME when they are sick – because they feel rotten and having to move around much outside your home makes you feel impossibly miserable.

Stay home, get some rest, and feel better soon little backstreet man.
    Also – you should be positively noted for your consideration of others by keeping a distance during this sickness.
    t.

October 5, 2009 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  171. Geez

I think his comment just shared his shock at having contracted this – people are being quarantined away from their families, this is real – and it hits everyone differently. Have some compassion for others.

October 5, 2009 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  172. Susie

First of all, to Brian Littrell: I'm praying for you, and wishing you a speedy recovery. I love you, babe. Second..to those of you making nasty, snarky comments, I think it's pretty rude of you to be so nasty. If you have nothing kind or reassuring to say, then just shut up.

October 5, 2009 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  173. Rude

Okay, he was asked how he feels. He told everyone the truth. He could have lied and said he was okay feeling but couldn't be around people to do his part to help stop the spread. I am thankful Brian decided to cancel all their events for this week and stay away. I would hate to get any type of flu or H1N1... anyone can die from anything! :) He is being responsible and staying away. He is the first real celebrity to have H1N1 so CNN is jumping on a chance to talk with him. Back off people... I would love to see your comments on the flu/H1N1 if the time every comes... which I hope it doesn't.

October 5, 2009 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
  174. Gkristo

If I am correct I believe Brian had some major heart surgery so I would think that this flu would be more dangerous for him then a normal everyday person.

October 5, 2009 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  175. Natalie

He does seem a bit over-dramatic, especially with his "why me?" comment. And for those of you who say "this flu KILLS people", so does regular seasonal flu. It kills 40,000 people every year.

October 5, 2009 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  176. Lynn

The "regular" flu kills hundreds of people each year; the elderly, young children and people with compromised immune systems are the most at risk. Although I feel badly for the backstreet boy, I do think he's being a bit of a baby :0)

October 5, 2009 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  177. Robert

I contracted swine-flu last year, and it was the sickest I have ever been. I have taken regular flu shots ever year for 20 years and was surprised to get sick last year. I am a young 40's male in good shape. It caused the worst body aches and intestinal distress (for 4 days) I have ever experienced. It took two weeks to recover my strength. In the past I have not been too concerned about getting the flu (even though I do make the effort to get inoculated), however, after experiencing this flu episode I absolutely dread the possibility of getting the H1N1 bug again, and would be concerned for any person (let along a child, senior, or weakened person) who might catch this virus.

October 5, 2009 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  178. Thomas

seriously sack up.

October 5, 2009 at 11:00 pm | Report abuse |
  179. Bill

Some of you need to wake up. It's not that bad of a flu... not as bad as the normal flu. I actually have H1N1 right now; with a bad cough, and fever... but I've had worse. Of course, no body aches yet...

It's the FLU... and it hasn't killed as many people as the normal yearly flu. Get a life people...

October 5, 2009 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  180. reece

Funny how doctors can confirm H1N1 without actually do a blood test. Anyone find that strange? In Canada they only SUSPECT you might have it but rarely rarely confirm it because it's too costly or complicated a process. So how come everybody seems to believe it's of one strain and not the other?

Get a life.

October 5, 2009 at 10:59 pm | Report abuse |
  181. been there

Teenage daughter had it last summer. Awful. Much worse than when she had the regular flu. Everyone reacts differently. Be grateful that you don't have it and have a little sympathy for someone that does. Will definitely have everyone in my house get the vaccination as soon as it is available to us.

October 5, 2009 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  182. Dee

My cousin had swine flu with the same symptoms! She had RIDICULOUS body aches and couldn't get out of bed for a week! It doesn't affect everyone the same.

October 5, 2009 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  183. Kathy K.

There is the flu and then there is THE FLU. I have had the flu a few times in my 43 years but THE FLU only once. It wasn't H1N1, it was in the very early 90's. It was miserable just like he is suggesting and not anything like any of these people that are sending the "get over it" emails. Believe me, be careful what you say because when you get it you will know it.

October 5, 2009 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  184. MASS histeria

I have been stuck in my hotel room deathly ill too and sure enough after a plane flight, while on business. Seriously, pass him in some Lysol, use it , breath it and open a window. Also have him get new sheets every day and pile 'em up for burnin' baby. Also Pedialyte, good stuff for rehydrating. It's safe enough for embryos.

October 5, 2009 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  185. Maria

What's with the harsh comments? This is someone who has committed his life to rehearsals and overseas travels regardless of what is getting him down. It's the swine flu, that of which we have heard all about over the news. Don't you think since we hear about it EVERYDAY, during EVERY NEWS BROADCAST we see. Obviously it's a serious matter. Some of you, are the selfish ones. This is someone who I've respected for years, and who is always a pleasure to be around. You want to talk about, "welcome to humanity, all you have is the flu... blah blah blah"... Brian is not only an entertainer, vocalist and lyricist, but he's also a husband, a father, and a son. Now let's talk about humanity. Just because you're sitting at your computer, not doing a damn thing to change this world, doesn't mean he needs to grasp "humanity." One of the most humble people I've ever come across. So much so, he's apologizing to everyone, though it's not his fault he has been quarantined the way he has been.

Why don't YOU get over YOURSELF. Let's talk smack about people you know, instead of people you don't, shall we?

October 5, 2009 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  186. Alicia

Some of you folks are pretty dense. I just recovered from the swine flu, but not without a stay in the hospital and I barely even remember about a week of my life. It would have been a lot worse if not for an aggressive treatment plan from my doctor.

I'm not a fan of this guy, but I wouldn't wish the swine flu on anyone, and I certainly wouldn't bash anyone for sharing their experiences/feelings about it.

Some of you guys need to wake up. Even if you have had the swine flu, and it hasn't been that bad for you...it doesn't mean it's not devastating for someone else. For one thing, some people's immune systems are weaker and what might be a walk in the park for you might not be so easy for them.

Yes, people do die from this, as they do from the regular flu. That is, probably mostly thanks to people out there who go out there and willingly spread their germs to everyone and take no precautions because it's no big deal to them.

October 5, 2009 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  187. joe

holy cow, i'm noticing that it's mostly negative haters who respond to articles in the media. maybe instead of hating so much you people should stop projecting and find ur inner love.

October 5, 2009 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  188. REALLY?!

My favorite part is "You always hear about this stuff, but you never think it will hit you." This is too good! Thank you for the laugh Backstreet Boy and thank you CNN for reading this and publishing it anyway! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! I thought he would spin a harrowing tale of a horrific swine flu ordeal, but alas he only wimpers about a milder, albeit more contagious, version of the flu.

October 5, 2009 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • heidi

u think he doesn't know pain? he has had heart surgery because of a birth defect since childhood. he had a hole in his heart while doing harcore performing and straight touring.

November 12, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  189. sa la

You're Saved-redeemed from the curse! As a Believer- consult the Manual. Jesus bore your sicknesses on the cross. You were healed then. Praise God!

October 5, 2009 at 10:36 pm | Report abuse |
  190. Disgusted!

What a bunch of jerks! I hate getting the normal seasonal flu and H1N1 is KILLING people for God sakes! Backstreet Boy or everyday person, have some sympathy for him! Geez....

October 5, 2009 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
  191. Patricia Maggs

I do not think Brian is making a big deal out of this. Can you imagine being on an airplane for all those hours feeling sick?? This is a horrible flu, if it wasn't so bad, we wouldn't need to be getting new shots for it. Get Better Brian, and Take care!

October 5, 2009 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  192. Lindsay

oh get over yourselves commenters. you're so self righteous. he's just describing how he feels and he feels horrible. he's not likening it to starvation in third world countries or anything. he just feels rotten and he's being honest.

October 5, 2009 at 10:26 pm | Report abuse |
  193. Dan

Yeah, good grief, welcome to humanity.

October 5, 2009 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  194. Tracy

You people are harsh! This guy has performed in the craziest of places, rehearsed with strep throat, muscle sprains, after days without sleep... I would think that if anything, if he says the H1N1 hurts, you better believe it, and take care to heed the warning. I don't believe any succesful performer is a wimp. Flu sucks, that why people DIE from it!

October 5, 2009 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  195. slimsv

oh boo-freakin-hoo...it's the flu...get over it.

you know who's lonely mr. backstreet boy? all the people in those devastated countries in asia who lost their loved ones...troops who were sent out to fight a war that still hasn't ended...those people are lonely.

why you? why NOT you? oh...you have a album coming out...oh no...blah blah blah.

get over yourself!

October 5, 2009 at 10:24 pm | Report abuse |
  196. yeah

my brother got it on the way home in the spring and no one else in the family got it, we were all on a plane and didnt even know he had anything wrong with him including his g/f at the time never got it..Its like reg. flu pretty much, put him on bed rest for a couple days, he was getting anxious cause he could leave the house. oh well overreact much..

October 5, 2009 at 10:23 pm | Report abuse |
  197. Hmm

My husband had a confirmed case in the spring and no one in our family caught it from him (thankfully). He was bad for a couple days....fever, aches, cough, slept a lot...but it wasn't the end of the world.

October 5, 2009 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse |
  198. hurrrr

ummm i agree with the "huh?"

it has common symptoms as the flu. Overreaction major.

October 5, 2009 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Heidi

maybe because it was a serious disease that was new and different? no one knew all about it at the time since it was a brand new disease. they hadn't found a solid treatment for it. its scary when it comes to new illnesses.

November 12, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  199. Huh?

Dude, are you serious? its the FLU, everyone gets it now and then. Come ON!!

October 5, 2009 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |