October 2nd, 2009

The Letterman bombshell – sex and extortion

As Dave would say, "My oh my!" Who saw this coming? Forget the extortion business for just one moment, and the person behind it.  I think what's truly surprising to those of us who've been watching Letterman since his "Late Night" days at NBC is the following thought: "Dave had affairs with his female employees? Dave?" For years, he's awkwardly flirted with the many "fetching" leading ladies he's had on the show. Julia Roberts comes to mind.  And who can forget when Drew Barrymore stood on his desk and flashed her breasts at him?? A shy-around-the-gals fella from the Midwest - at least, that's what I thought.  And after his marriage and the birth of young Harry, I thought he was really out of "the game."

Has this changed your opinion of Dave? Do you think less of him - or more - due to his liaisons? Did he score any points with you for coming clean about all this? Or do you care more about the quality of his show than his extracurricular activities?

1. A Hutch

Come on, do you really care who he had or didn't have sex with, or where they worked? Really? I mean really? Who cares? Most of us have important things to worry about, things like unemployment, foreclosures, heathcare, the economy, swine flu, eldercare amongst other things. I've always enjoyed David Letterman's show and will continue to enjoy it. Question is,why do we idolize celebrities and put them on these ridiculous pedestals? He's a man, he's not God, and like it or not this is what most men do........they have affairs!! So what!He didn't kill anyone. Some get caught some don't so can we just move on now? P.S. I am female/married for 35 years/ and a realist.

October 5, 2009 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Patty Soffer

Good God America. Why is it any of our business who sleeps with who, when or where?

This country is sadly out of control. Can we please focus on the environment and world hunger and healthcare and other things that matter? I could care less who Dave or anyone else sleeps with and he owes us nothing. We are not his wife.

October 5, 2009 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  3. judy

I like how Dave put it out there; he just said what was up, didn't deny anything, like a joke. People laughed. After all, for a talk show host, is there any such thing as bad publicity?

October 5, 2009 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. Toni

I cannot believe how the media itself is becoming holier than thou in this regard, and how they are suggesting either Dave should lose his job, or that CBS is in jeopardy because of Dave's behavior.
    Let's not forget Les Moonves, the President of CBS began having an affair with Julie Chen, one of his employees, while he was still married. He was granted a very quick divorce so he could marry Ms. Chen (he divorced in 2004 and married Ms.Chen in 2004), they now have a baby boy. Did Ms.Chen benefit from catching her boss' eye?Why wasn't that relationship scrutinized more deeply? It's amazing how we choose to tar and feather one individual ,and completely disregard another.

October 4, 2009 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dazedandconfused

I can not believe the hypocrites on this site. All the men talking about Dave. I would wager that 95% of you have cheated on your partners. None of these women have come forward to complain and as he said he will not talk but if the women want to say they did that is their right. That shows me that when the affairs ended they did not end badly. I will continue to watch his show

October 3, 2009 at 9:28 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Britt Maxwell

Yes, he's human after all. Why should this surprise anyone?

October 2, 2009 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mark Berlin

sex at the workplace with staff of lesser power- not on eyelevel- is a real problem. dave screwed up

October 2, 2009 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  8. 4reason

Oops, 2 spelling errors and poor phrasing. I'm getting sloppy.

October 2, 2009 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. I'mjustsayin'

Are people really surprised? ......Really?
    He wouldn't marry his present wife for years.
    He's always been a very flirtatous host
    with the pretty celebrity guests.
    Are the women he was with complaining?
    This is between he and his wife now and she probably
    already knew about it.
    This won't stop me from watching the show like
    I always have.

October 2, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  10. 4reason

When this happenned he was an unmarried man having sex with [presumably] unmarried women.

And the problem is...

Maybe he was a bad boyfriend. But as long as we don't find out it was sexual harrasment, or there's another skeleton in the closet, I don't understand the vitriol towards Dave in the least.

Indeed the only thing that has me scratching my head is how benign the whole thing appears. What in this was $2M blackmail-worthy?

October 2, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. klo

I don't understand all of this. He "was" an unmarried man and the first of the known "affairs" was with an "unmarried" woman. An affair between an unmarried man and an unmarried woman. That is news to me.

October 2, 2009 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. sandy smith

oh to to ob- letterman is not a member of this little club of creeps you are not aware that some people usally not rep have actual relationships that occur outside of bathrooms and are rather normal- what are you thinking oh you like palin

October 2, 2009 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Wayno

Would any one make a deal out of Oprah having sex with some cute stage hand? How do we know if Letterman wasn't seduced? Are you saying powerful men are never allowed to have sex unless with equally powerful women? Give Dave a break.

October 2, 2009 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  14. OB

How interesting. So Letterman himself is a member of this little club of creeps, cheats, and hypocrites made up among others by the likes of Spitzer, Sanford, Edwards, Jimmy the crying preacher, and the foot-tapping bathroom-sex congressman, all of whom deserve their shame.

October 2, 2009 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ric

he cheated, enough said.

October 2, 2009 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Brian

He was never in the class of a Johnny Carson and not particularly funny, This is probably a PR scam to get him face time. He needs something to keep him on the air, its not talent.

October 2, 2009 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  17. luly

to say he has to do what he has to do to protect his family is really kind of lame at this point. if you really want to protect your family, you don't have affairs. OBVIOUSLY as a high-profile person some one will come along and make it all public out of greed or spite or jealousy. i am amazed by how caught up in fantasy these people are–i'm david letterman so i can do whatever i want with no consequences. who cares if it hurts my wife/partner of 23 years or my little boy. i got my rocks off and that is the most important thing. yuck. the big question will be if these women are still working for him and if the got big raises or promotions during or after the affairs....i guess people do it, but what a sad way to climb the corporate ladder–you get promoted not because of your personal expertise or talent but because you played with the boss....

October 2, 2009 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  18. LBW

There will be more to this story. I am curious to see if any of the women come forward with their side. Still right or wrong, no one has the right to try and blackmail him.

October 2, 2009 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  19. krasavitsa

Not surprised for one moment - Dave is a creep and that is obvious if you only watch him for one minutes.

October 2, 2009 at 10:19 am | Report abuse |
  20. r jones

Leave Dave alone. He has entertained us for years. He hasn't done anthing more than most of the country. He is a great entertainer and we love him.

October 2, 2009 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  21. christa

Mr. Letterman talked about other men, who cheated for years and this was supposed to be okay because he did it, there was nothing funny about his cheating. He was with his girlfriend together for 23 years, before he married her, so he cheated on her and thought what he did was okay for him to do. When you have a partner, its still cheating, if you are married or not. So he has himself no MORALS, he should not talk about anyone else, because that makes him a HYPOCRITE, which of course he is. ABC, CBS, CNN, FOX and all of the NBC channels gave him at least 20-30 minutes airtime. Forget about the thousands who died, because of earthquakes and small tsunamis this week alone, that should have been first on your so called news. Forget about all the soldiers who died in the war in Iraq, not a minute time for them, I am so discusted about this. These soldiers are heroes, they were send to Iraq, because of lies from the previous administration which was supported by the the american news media. You make news of stories they are not worthy to be news, this should have been in your entertainment section. Also this new administration and our new president whom I voted for, have no backbones, our president is a smooth talker with no substance, he waves his flag in any direction, and has not done anything he promised. I wish we had a third party or even a fourth party in this country, but oh no, this is almost like communism, you can only vote for these two parties and neither does anything for us Americans, just for themselves. They tell us lies, just to have our Vote.

October 2, 2009 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  22. Beckie

Oh, come on. It's David Letterman! We don't know when these "affairs" happened - before or after his marriage - and we haven't heard any of the women protesting. Why would this change the public's opinion of him? He's a celebrity having sex. That's certainly not news. It's just so tiring to hear about these extortion attempts and good for him for coming clean and not giving in to the thief trying to take advantage of him.

October 2, 2009 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  23. Cheri

I watched Dave tonight and would like to point out that it was never said when these trysts took place. It could have been before he was with Regina, or at least before they were truly an item. There just was no mention of any kind of time frame. And let's not forget that they got together when she was also in his employ. I don't think he was ever the kind of guy to go out trolling for women, so it was only natural for him to hook up with women he worked with. Isn't that the way it usually works? I have watched Dave for many many years, and I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he is a bad person. I do feel bad for him, since he has always tried so hard to keep his private life private. I absolutely don't think less of him for telling his story–quite the opposite. He wanted to set the record straight before it got out of hand. That was smart. It was sure a surprise, though, to see him talking honestly about himself! Not something you usually see.
    Anyway–give the guy a break. He is still the same Dave we have all known and loved for so many years.

October 2, 2009 at 4:58 am | Report abuse |