October 2nd, 2009

Does Letterman bear some blame?

I have to say that I am disappointed in David Letterman. I’ve always liked the guy; he seemed like a sweet man, devoted to his son and his girlfriend of over 20 years, Regina.  I am not a devoted viewer—most of us in the world of broadcast news work crazy hours—but I certainly don’t harbor any ill will towards the man.  That being said, when I got the first of many, many emails last night about this scandal, I was disappointed. How could a man who was so well respected and beloved by so many put himself in this situation?

While I am sure it wasn’t fun for Letterman to get to his car at six o’clock in the morning and find a package from an alleged extortionist, I can’t help but feel that Letterman had this coming. This is a man who admitted to having sexual relationships with staffers on his show—staffers; as in more than just one. A spokesperson for Worldwide Pants, “The Late Show’s” production company, released a statement clarifying the timeline of the relationships. "All the relationships David Letterman was referencing when discussing the matter on the Late Show predated his marriage to Regina." Now let me tell you from experience—I’ve been doing this for a while now—statements don’t get more carefully worded than this. They made a point out of saying that Letterman didn’t cheat on his wife—but what, it’s ok to cheat on your girlfriend? Because that is certainly what it looks like.

It would be bad enough if it was just one indiscretion, but clearly there was more than just one—all with staff members. This enters into an ambiguously gray area for most work places, least of which is a celebrity talk show environment! Doctors and nurses, principles and teachers, politicians and staffers, the list of possibly risqué office dalliances go on and on. In most offices he would be sitting in human resources in right now trying to figure out what to do about the situation. Instead he made jokes about how it’s funny that people even want to have sex with him!

We all know that office gossip spreads like wildfire; Letterman should have known that there was no way he could have kept his liaisons a secret for long.

What do you think? What bothers you the most about the Letterman scandal—is it the fact that he had a relationship with his staffers?  Is it the fact that he may have been unfaithful?

« Previous entry
  1. Lori Boyle

I think CNN is being very hypocritical w/their overblown coverage of Letterman & workplace romance in general. Have they acknowledged their own workplace romance on any of these shows? I'm referring to Dana Bash & John King but there are probably more considering how big the CNN network is.

October 10, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Oh please.........

Pain and suffering? Regina has been with him for 23+ years – seems to me she knows all about DL.....she is no victim......she had the choice all these years to leave....and she still has that choice actually. I do not see women who choose to stay with men like DL as victims.....because in today's world – it is all about choice.....

October 10, 2009 at 10:44 am | Report abuse |
  3. Avery

I haven't liked David Letterman for years. He's arrogant and wormy. Not surprised he would creep around on his girlfriend/wife. I saw his downfall coming. As soon as you start to believe your own hype it's over.

October 8, 2009 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. West Coast Morals

...And look at the pain and suffering she is experiencing today as a result of that decision.

October 7, 2009 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Addendum

FYI folks – Regina Lasko (Letterman's wife) was ALSO an intern/employee on the DL Show back in the days and is how they met.

October 7, 2009 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  6. West Coast Morals

Andee, in your message you suggest that DLs actions are actions that "you’ve probably done yourself". You continue to suggest it is typical and acceptable to have "had a fing with your next door neighbor..." Wow! Those are quite the statements!!!

Actually, no, neither I nor my husband have ever been unfaithful to one another, and we've been together 33 years/married for 30! (Those involved in unfaithful relationships usually have an inkling that something is not quite right.) We take our personal commitment to one another very seriously. Also, our mutual devotion is a personal decision, not a religious decision. But that doesn't really matter at all. What does matter is that we regularly demostrate our love and respect for each other, which has allowed us to build a strong, healthy life for ourselves and our children.

Perhaps you are trying to justify your own past/present actions. How many "Oks" (see your message above) do you give an individual before you realize they've stepped over the line? The boss/power over others/subordinate issues clearly demonstrates that DLs actions were wrong. Dave came clean ONLY after he was backed into a corner. The full facts in this case will certainly come out in the future, and the extortionist will pay his penance.

October 6, 2009 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  7. Jools

He says he "chose" to confess. Come on, the guy had to confess. This was going to get out anyway. He's supposedly using humour to win over his fans but its his scriptwriters who are saving his bacon as far as his fans go.

October 6, 2009 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  8. Carol

I was not a huge fan of Letterman and now I am even less so. He was in a position of power and who knows if these women thought their jobs could be on the line if they didn't tow the line. I think charges should be laid against Letterman. I'm sure he broke the law somewhere in this disaster.

October 6, 2009 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. Andee

Well I just hate the way people make such a circus when celebrities do things that you've probably done yourself. Ok, he was unfaithful..Ok, he had poor judgement..Ok, he did something a lot of people will drop their jaw in response to..Ok, so the president got a BJ (can i say that here?)...Ok, you had a fling with your next door neighbor...not one of you is more wrong or more right than the other. So Dave came clean the way he knew how, with the comedic talent that has gotten him to be where he is today. Whatever...hope everything works out and they can mend their marriage/relationship if thats what they want. Good Luck and behave, David!!

October 6, 2009 at 1:17 am | Report abuse |
  10. West Coast Morals

Kay, at my and my husband's companies, nobody has to leave their jobs. They go forth, HR reassigns them, and we all go on with our lives. If things get to the point that there is an issue and the couple never approached HR, that becomes a very different situation, and one usually loses his/her job.

Paul, you rock!!!

October 5, 2009 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ochnas

I have never liked Letterman much. He is funny, but unlike everyone I can think of who has done any late night talk/entertainment/variety show on network television, he has always seemed to me like he is not a very nice person who sometimes adopts a "nice" persona for effect (though most of the time he fails to do so and even when "acting" nice, he appears condecending at best and out and out mean when he "acts" nice). I'm serious, watch him try to interview a child sometime - it always makes me squirm. Other comics who have or had nighttime talk shows seem like they are nice guys who can sometimes put on a mean or rude attitude for laughs, but still have a grin or glint in their eye so you see that is all an act.

So all that said, it doesn't surprise me he would do something less than nice to anyone close to him (his staff, his wife, ...) and I feel no pity for him or for whatever women he was involved with during that period of time. I assume anyone who worked on his show day after day would know his personality and knew what they were getting into. It does show some lack of character for one or more of these women to even peripherally participate in a blackmail scheme (by providing "proof" of affairs to some third party), but again, I'm not surprised. Like attracts like after all.

October 5, 2009 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Kay

All of you who believe that DL used his power or position to have sex need to get a life. He has been, is now, and always will be great at entertaining. Do you seriously think he is the only person in the entertianment field who has done this – be it a late show host, day time host or just in the entertainment industry. Some flaunt it while others do not. How many of you who are condemning him have had similar experiences in your life or know someone who has. We all live in a glass house so be careful where you throw those stones. Sorry people, but we all make mistakes, none of us are perfect. Granted this is a big one but at least he did not try to hide it which is a huge plus and remember DL is his own worst critic. HE IS AN ENTERTAINER NOT A POLITICIAN.

Lord knows there are so many office romances/indiscretions and yes they do happen in all companies and no they don't inform personnel about them unless one of them plans to leave the compay of their own free will.

October 5, 2009 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Paul

Letterman having sex with other people doesn't mean that Sarah Palin isn't still stupid and a major embarrassment to this country. Who cares who sleeps with whom? Such a non-issue. But Palin could still be capable of driving this country off a cliff in the future. Let's get our priorities together, people.

October 5, 2009 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse |
  14. SCY385

I think David Letterman has handled this matter just fine. I would not have allowed anyone to blackmail me either. As far as his conduct is concerned the only way I would condemn it is if it was not consensual. As much as people work today a lot of relationships kick off at work. As long as both people are agreeing on the matter, so what? If Letterman used his power to intimidate these women then that is another matter. I haven't heard about anyone suing him. The situation between him and his girlfriend is their business. A lot of times the wife, or girlfriend knows anyway. Powerful, rich men seem to do this kind of thing and all the women concerned go along with it. I'm not condoning it, but if that's how they want to play their game then that's on them. It's not up to me to judge one way or another. I hope it works out for everyone.

October 5, 2009 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Kate

Ha ha ha. I am so glad David Letterman is the ass being laughed at now. His show was starting to get old with his obsession with making Sarah Palin jokes,, overdid it to the point where it was starting to get tiring and reduntant. I won't watch his show anymore. He is starting to get grumpy and hearing about him having sex with female employees,, that's just plain gross.

My sister and me are going to NYC in a couple of weeks, and Conan has moved to LA,, no more MTV TRL, and no way are we seeing David Letterman. So I guess we'll look into another show.

October 5, 2009 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Kristen

Someone needs to find the footage of his jokes during the Tailhook scandal. I know he made pointed references to it. And the outcome of the hearings, which was, a sexual relationship between a boss and an employee can NEVER be consensual. Apparently, since he gave Clinton a pass on that at the time, he felt it was ok for him (Letterman). If it cannot be consensual, then there is only one word for it: rape.

October 5, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Denny

I realize how easy it is to bad mouth people when they can't defend themselves.....so I will ask this...how is Stephanie a gold digger? She is not asking for money..she is not happy about this revelation...it impacts her life and her family. Leave her alone! I always thought she was a riot on the show. As for Dave....I am guilty of idolizing him forever. Followed him thru his career and I am very disappointed in him and hope he does the right thing ..whatever he feels it should be. His jokes about Palin etc are coming home to roost unfortunately. He will come out of this. He was not married at the time...they were all adults....I would like to think there was no coercion (sp) from him and I'd like to see this all go away so we can go on enjoying his humor..his guests and his quirky yet fascinating personality. The republicans are having a field day with this but Obama is still the president.

October 5, 2009 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Kathy

Just another man giving into penis. I wonder if it is worth it to him. I feel for his family. Now his wife will never really know if she can trust him or not. There will always be doubt. I haven't met a womanizer that has ever really changed. Of course, she's the one that is publicly humiliated and he makes a joke out of it!! I wonder how long this marriage will last now that the truth is out?

October 5, 2009 at 1:10 pm | Report abuse |
  19. West Coast Morals

...except, of course, for his wife.

October 5, 2009 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  20. West Coast Morals

Can't wait to see just how many sue Letterman, CBS... The blackmailer was extremely wrong with his actions, but perhaps something good will come from this. Anybody who boinks Letterman in the future is an idiot!

October 5, 2009 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  21. robin

Oh before people get all judgemental.. how do we know Letterman was in an exclusive relationship with his girlfriend at the time? Are we that narrow minded that we cannot expand out thinking.

To come off all holier then though is wrong and unfair. Perhaps that lifestyle isn't ours doesn't mean it's wrong.

Grow up all you judgement twits. Just remember you have probably done some thing in your life that has offended other people, yet you'd be upset if you were unfairly judged for it.

October 5, 2009 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  22. mark

David probably had an open relationship with his girlfriend at the time-It's why she wanted marriage for so many years!

October 5, 2009 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  23. Debra R

Just waiting for the requisite and JUSTIFYABLE sexual harassment suits.

October 5, 2009 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
  24. Cheri

I will never watch Letterman again. I'm disgusted that he would abuse his position of authority in this way. When someone considers what a career maker it would be to work for his company – and what a career breaker it could be to be fired from it, and how expensive it is to live in NY, etc., for him to leverage that for sex is despicable. It's unfortunate that someone tried to further compound the situation by trying to profit off of it – but let's not allow that to deflect away from Letterman's own behavior. I will never find humor in anything he has to say again.

October 5, 2009 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  25. char

I am sick to death about anyone using their power to take advantage of subordinants. I am sick to death over the same people acting entitled to special treatment. I wonder what the station will do about this....If nothing, shame on them. What ever happened to having codes of conduct to protect our young ladies in the work place. Consenting adults, my auntie. If you think I care about his affairs, you are wrong. I care that it has happened at his work place where he has power of his position. I hope the women sue the britches off him, and the station.

October 5, 2009 at 1:39 am | Report abuse |
  26. Mickie

I was a Letterman fan. Always liked him. Thought he could be difficult but also thought that he was basically a complicated but very decent man. I realize that he was not married when the affairs took place. But I have a have a huge problem with what his conduct says about his attitude toward women–especially bright young women working for him. Face it–there is legal conduct and there is conduct that, while legal, is just plain questionable. This conduct is questionable and I will never be able to watch Letterman again without thinking that he's just a pathetic old skirt chaser. That takes the humor out of anything the guy has to say. Sorry, I am changing channels for good.

October 4, 2009 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
  27. darius

why is this even an issue. all the people involved are adults. the only criminal is the extortionist.

October 4, 2009 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Virginia

I feel it is presumptuous to assume that his girlfriend knew nothing about his dalliances. If she did not and their agreement was to sexual fidelity– then I am kinda disappointed in him– BUT, I don't have the same strong feelings about it that I have towards some of the other public figures who hold themselves up to the public as PURE, high integrity, family values people. I have always sensed and Dave alludes to his "naughty" side– so while, IF he lied to his girlfriend, I am somewhat disappointed in him– I don't have the same feeling of justice being served by him being outed– or outing himself– that I have had towards some of the various hypocritical politicians who have gone through the same thing. I also have strong negative feelings about someone trying to blackmail him about it– that is really scummy. I do like that he put it out to the public himself on his show. That took some balls, even if it would have been in the tabloids soon anyway.

October 4, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Letterman Fan

WCM,

You are assuming Letterman came on to his employees. You are assuming it is sexual harassment. Until the women step up and say he harassed them, I have no reason to think he did. You can't assume harassment on the basis of job position. You can't assume who initiated the relationship on the basis of job position or gender. Without any claims from the women, you have presumed Letterman's guilt in this matter. You have also presumptuously assigned the victim role to the women. Not a high regard for women in my book.

October 4, 2009 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  30. West Coast Morals

Von, he is still a boss who has power over others. It is his actions as "the boss" that he is likely to be sued over in the future... and rightfully so.

October 4, 2009 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Rexi

I totally agree with Ms Kaplan. He did not cheat on his wife, yet he did cheat on his girlfriend. Ethical behavior is a constant and cannot be divided into categories.

I was offended by Mr.Letterman's non-remorseful confession. He cunningly used his comedic style to confess to shameful deeds (sex with staffers, plural, while having a girlfriend) in such a blase, matter of fact fashion, which he knew would garner him sympathy. He used the word creepy very intelligently, because if he said the word first, then that ought to make it clear to all of us that he was not happy with what he did. (Not happy until he was exposed to the nation, that is.)

As far as I am concerned, he is now one more dishonest public figure who got caught.

October 4, 2009 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  32. t

my guess is these were consensual relationships. whatever his now wife, and possibly on and off again girlfriend over the years, knew or didn't know is between them to sort out. a bad idea perhaps to be involved with co-workers because while consensual, others may not perceive it as such. he has always been known to be involved with folks he met at work. no surprise here. i hope he and his family are able to put this behind them soon. he doesn't deserve a scandal. he's the victim of a serious crime. he needs privacy, and the rest of us need to move on.

October 4, 2009 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  33. Leighroy

Sense when is dating/living with someone the same as being married? Maybe it took 20 years for him to ask her to marry him because he wasn't ready to be with just one woman.

He was a single man when this happened and if the women he worked with were single and willing to have a realationship with him why is it anyones business.

October 4, 2009 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  34. rj

This is story regarding about promiscurity and morality. Letterman, regardless of his legal issue, is immoral. He is more concerned about the extortion than his own character. He is pathetic.

October 4, 2009 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  35. von

Come on! really, not saying that this is right but, this goes on everyday in offices across america!!! No one has stepped up and said sexual harassment his girlfriend of 20-years knew what kind of Man he was when after 20 years she decided to marry him. He is an entertainer!!! Not the president,not an elected official or priest or religious leader a talk show host .

October 3, 2009 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Lorna

I'm not crazy about the idea he would cheat on his girlfriend, but overall, it's the liasons with his employees that is really bothersome. I'm thinking most of these employees were interns, considerably younger than him and perhaps naive enough to think they really meant something to him beyond conquests. And he seems to have claimed in the past and more than once, that he married Regina after their son was born, because he promised her parents he would marry her. Sounds a little 'hinky' to me.

October 3, 2009 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  37. West Coast Morals

Leah N, if you would just go back and read what I wrote, I have never, ever, ever supported the war in Iraq. In fact, I never once voted for ANY Bush. I couldn't understand how other voters could not see beyond the fear tactics used over the past eight years. For your information, my nephew began a military career MANY years ago, long before Iraq. He was sent there for three tours and 4 1/2 years. He did not want to go to Iraq, but he already had many years invested in his career as an equipment mechanic and with a family to feed. This conflict nearly ruined his marriage because of the trauma he brought back with him. My cousin's son came back a shell of the man he was went he first set out for Iraq. I also totally do not approve of the torture techniques that have been used on those held in American custody. My position has always been that if Iraq had done to our people what we have done to theirs, we would have a massive fit!

By the way, I am not one of those touting their "born againism". If you read my prior messages, I made this very, very clear. This is not a religious matter. It is a work place matter.

As for the blackmailer, nobody should condone his actions if they are true as portraid through the media. I also clearly stated this in an earlier message. He is in the hands of the courts now, and his trial and every judgement against him will come through our country's legal system, not through those of us who do not know the facts.

What I am opposed to is ANY boss approaching an employee of lesser seniority for romantic relationship(s) or sex. I am not an untouchable, and I DO NOT judge others for their personal decisions as you describe me. When this sort of thing happens in the work place, however, it is a recipe for all sorts of trouble such as ramifications if the relationship fails and opportunities for other employees to question and sue over future advancements for these women. My husband and I both work for very large organizations. When romantic relationships develop, as they sometimes naturally do, those individuals are allowed to continue their relationship and work as long as they are not managed by the same team leaders. Two wrongs do not make a right, as insinuated by comments that this has gone on in the past elsewhere.

As for the ramifications that DLs family is certain to feel, I have nothing but sympathy for them. THEY are the biggest victims here. If a superior seeks out advantage from anybody with a lesser ranking, however, there is some serious reason for examining ones decisions and making changes. It shouldn't take several encounters and a third-party shake up to MAKE us change our ways and admit to our wrong doings. Letterman would have NEVER admitted to his actions without the latest developments, but he certainly has passed judgement on others very quickly over this same issue.

Veet, for your information, I left a church known for so much wrong doing, primarily because of its past actions. And I have never once had my parents or in-laws pay 10 cents of my mortgage... or anything else, for that matter. My family has struggled all of these years and have independently earned the things we enjoy today. (It is my brother-in-law who has received the free handouts for years.)

An office romance would not be tolerated in either my or my husband's offfices unless the two parties are open with HR about the matter and are separated into different teams so that the relationship does not interfere with the work environment. That has worked beautifully, too! We have several examples where these office romances advanced to permanent, loving relationships, and both parties enjoyed career advances and benefits through the years.

Letterman Fan, nobody has tried and convicted David Letterman. He admitted what he did. His own words speak for themselves. Think about it, what else could he do in this case? Letterman has certainly been quick to condemn others who are guilty of the same acts to whic he now admits. I believe this is refered to as being a hypocrite. By the way, I do not have a low opinion of women. In fact, I AM a woman, and I know a lot of wonderful, talented men AND women of whom I deeply admire. If an employee tells her boss "no" on a sexual advance attempt, he/she always risk a loss of career/job. That is what sets this example apart for other personal examples.

Steve Brozene, not everybody is blaming Dave. The courts will certainly deal with the blackmail issue. And yes, you are right. That guy is a scum bag and will live to regret his decisions. But there are two who were wrong here, not one. A victim can actually be a perpetrator to another party (or parties) at the same time.

Jeff, yes, "some greedy SOB tried to profit from it", and the courts will certainly see that he pays for that greed. It is entirely in the courts and the jury's hands who presides over this trial.

Dewd, there is more than one story here. That is possible, you know.

Stephen J, you rock!

October 3, 2009 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  38. maird

too bad they didn't have blogs back when jack was doin marylin...y'all would of had a field day.

October 3, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Yvonne

I agree with Pat C ... plus, apparently he didn't think it was "icky" when he was involved in the relationship with the staffers, but he has the insensitivity to tell the world that he had to describe all the "icky" things he had done. Please.

October 3, 2009 at 7:22 pm | Report abuse |
  40. nic

I am shocked that this is the first article I've seen that even addresses the workplace issue. If it were any other industry, as you said, he, "the boss," would indeed be sitting in the HR department either learning about sexual harassment rules (and punishment) or be on his way to losing his job. What is it about show business that makes it ok for a boss to sleep with subordinates?

Either they did want to have sex with him and came on to him first... but the ability to sleep one's way to the top isn't fair to employees who aren't able to do so (outside of Nevada anyway). Or, they didn't want to have sex with him and he came on to them... when it is so difficult to get into the industry (and Letterman seems to be able to hold grudges...), who would be able to easily say no?

October 3, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  41. mary

why is everybody against Letterman.
    It is obvious that Stephanie is a gold digger.
    She lived with somebody that is old enough to be her father. But being a producer that was ok.
    Maybe she is climbing the ladder and it's easier to sleep your way to the top.
    there is nothing wrong with what Letterman did.
    This will blow over and nothing will happen.
    I will still watch his show

October 3, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Dewd

So the guy had sex with women? What is the story here? The story is the extortion, not Letterman's relationships. Anyone disappointed by this revelation needs to find a hobby. Sex is normal. What would be more surprising is if Letterman had sex with only one person in the last 24 years.

October 3, 2009 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Stephen J

I am not a Bill Clinton fan but David Letterman made a very good living from telling Bill Clinton jokes back in 1998 and for very many years. I think CBS owes an hour of primetime to Bill Clinton so the former President may tell 60 minutes worth of Letterman jokes.

October 3, 2009 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Letterman Fan

Letterman pay to keep peoples' mouths shut??? He doesn't strike at the type to part with his money that way. And he is as willing to poke fun at himself as he is of all the adulterous politicians he nails on his show. I won't be surprised if we see a Sex with Letterman Top Ten in the near future. He isn't holier than thou. He doesn't take himself that seriously.

October 3, 2009 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Jeff

Go ahead you people without sin, cast your stone ! You are all focused on the wrong thing as gossip hounds. The real sadness here is that some greedy SOB tried to profit from it. Dave merely diffused the situation by taking responsibility for his own actions. Who among you have done that?

October 3, 2009 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  46. CWeaver

While many seem compelled to sit in judgment, we do not know all the facts surrounding the instant case or the relationships Letterman admitted to having in the past. We do not know the time lines, nor whether or not Letterman's relations were consensual. The instant issue appears to be a criminal act being attempted and the perpetrator caught in the act. While of prurient interest to his "public", if Letterman has not broken any law, then he has as much right to screw up his personal life as any of the rest of us who have dated co-workers in the past. If between consenting adults, I see nothing wrong with multiple sex partners. How many of us were virgins when we married? Times have changed and the sooner we deal with the issues instead of gossip the better. "Let he who has never sinned cast the first stone."-John 8:7

October 3, 2009 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  47. Barbara

If it was not a big deal, why couldn't Letterman have kept his mouth shut?? Saying nothing at all would have made him come across much better. Why he felt the need to discuss it on his show makes you wonder whether these "staffers" were trying to keep their jobs. I bet he's paying them nicely to keep their mouths shut now. Lets face it, if it was any of us who do the daily grind, our butts would be fired in a heart beat. Just shows you how money and power excuses you from everything. Well we know one thing though, Sarah Palin is surely having the last laugh now............

October 3, 2009 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  48. Steve Brozene

Why is everyone blaming Dave? he didn't try to extort 2 million dollars from someone he had consensual sex which if im not mistaken is not against the Law . .Now if you want to get into morality He who lives in Glass Houses should not throw the first stone. Dave Made a Public Announcement to his Audience on what he did he didn't tell us because he wanted to he did it because he had no choice. Frst and foremost I don't want to know who Dave is bopping it's none of my business I don't watch the show for that reason what he does or anyone does behind closed doors is their business not mine. He had to make a choice I believe he made the right choice by playing on the offensive as opposed to the defensive the question is not what he did but what He does not do in the future for the sake of his family but that is between him and his wife . for the scumbag who thought extorting 2 million dollars was a good idea ? because of a personal debt ? His career is over he has been suspended and most likely will lose his Job at CBS so instead of producing shows about scumbags like him the Network will be doing shows ABOUT him ...its all about the ratings

October 3, 2009 at 10:56 am | Report abuse |
  49. terri deey

i have watched daves show from day one not every night mine you but quite often enough to know that the entire staff or what ive seen are all in on the joke if you will they appear on the show and then theres tony mendez aka cue card by who i think may even be older than dave the band barbara gaines the producer sitting on the sidelines etc point being in this type of atmosphere some relationships took off and i really doubt seriously that dave used is so called power over them he seems likable enough to get a girl am i right people and as far as regina bless her heart she may have stuck around for 23 years but i bet in was a off and on type thing she does not appear to be that stupid not to know there were others maybe thats why SHE didnt marry HIM but i hope now she doesnt pack up and leave and if she does it may just be that she didnt sign up for all this celebrity drama i feel bad for dave ithink that joe guy was skipping medications and i still think daves my favorite intelligent goof on tv thank you

October 3, 2009 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  50. Letterman Fan

WCM,

Why do you assume the staffers didn't want to have sex with Letterman? Why do you assume he came on to them? Despite the low opinion you seem to hold of women, they are quite capable of engaging in consensual sexual relationships. They are also capable to telling their bosses, no. I find it bizarre that you are willing to give the blackmailer the benefit of the doubt but you have tried and convicted Letterman of sexual harassment. Until the women say they didn't want to have sex with him, we should accept that the relationships were consensual. Anything else assumes that women are by definition helpless and unable to make adult decisions about their sexuality.

October 3, 2009 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  51. Veet

Geezzzzzz I 'm amazed at all the saints out there pointing fingers ! A few senators, a few governors , and a whole lot of clergy and congressman have committed more griveous sins,they are vilified and still hold onto their jobs and refuse to resign ! If It wasnt letterman a office rommance would pass for a normal occurance especially in todays world ! Ye who have not sinned cast the forst stone . Its BLACKMAIL pure and simple and Dave came to the public like a MAN and said so ! Unlike the sneaks along the appalachin trail and those paying for mortages through their parents ! Thats a coward !

October 3, 2009 at 9:31 am | Report abuse |
  52. Leah N

WCM: There has always been sex in the work place when men & women work togeter. This is not a change in morals, this has always been....human morals. We have had past presidents who fathered children outside of marriage....one who fathered many with his slave. The entertainment business, sports business, political business, financial business etc, has always gathered groupies wanting sexual contact. This is not new.

I stand by what I said regarding war. It was meant for the millions of Americans who didn't ask questions, a prez who spouted his "born againsim" and the millions of the"moral majority" who stood up and got excited for invading another country. These same people moralized about the sexual wrong doings of politicians, but rationalized as "moral" the loss of life for Iraqi civilians, spoke out for torture etc., etc. My point.....there is somthing more morally wrong when a country
    can support invading another country, but get all moralistic about someone elses sex life. It's out of porportion!

A comment was made about DL cheating on his girlfriend and my point is that girls/boys. men/women in their singleness break hearts when they find someone new, or have more than one "interest". DL is not anymore evil than anyone else who has done this.....and it happens to most of us at sometime in our lives. Half of marriages in the USA end in divorce,,,,sex and/or money. There are a lot of people spouting what they believe are moral standards for others, who do not live up to these standards themselves.

I also stand by my belief that those who never liked DL will stand in harsh, unforgiving judgement, those of us who like him, will still like him and forgive him if we feel what he did needs forgiveness. I've made mistakes over the years and everyone I know & care about has made mistakes in their lives. Doesn't mean I stop liking them...or myself for that matter. All it means is, I don't like what I did or what they did. That is all it should mean.

October 3, 2009 at 3:12 am | Report abuse |
  53. Leah N

Would these womwn keep quiet just to stand by their boss or would they keep quiet because it is in the past and they don't want their 15 minutes of fame world wide to be known for whom they had sex with? It is one thing to say "yes" and another for their parents to find out they said "yes". On the other hand, this blackmailer was not only posing a danger to DL, but a worse danger to these women. He was willing to sell their names to the press to get money. He didn't care about these women, he didn't have respect for these women, he didn't care about their families...parents, children, spouses. He is the evil one, evil with no remorse. His one goal was to get some big money and he didn't care who got hurt in the process.

The unfortunate thing here is that many people are so hung up by the sex, they overlook the evil of the blackmailer.

October 3, 2009 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  54. Kat

NOT SURPRISED............. after all his sex jokes about various political people over years, his confession just struck me empty...and sounded as if he is above everyone.... ..It sounded like, "OK, I have to do this but so what, I'll just about joke about it then forget it...no big deal" Well, It is a big deal, especially for his wife........son........and Mother......

October 3, 2009 at 1:18 am | Report abuse |
  55. West Coast Morals

Mountain West, if you read my first blog posting, I said the courts will find the alleged extortionist. But I am refering to what Letterman did, himself, with/to women that worked for him.

If you had the job you had always dreamed of, and if your boss came on to you for sex, how would you respond? Would you stand by your boss?

I think not.

October 2, 2009 at 10:46 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Anonymouse

I think nobody knows what kind of relationship DL had with his g/f....plus there were times they were separated and not together – though dating since 1986, and yes he was not married at the time and it ended in 2003. I believe he only said *staffers* (pleural) to protect the woman. No, he won't get fired – he owns Worldwide Pants – and is great friends with Les Moonves who owns CBS.

Plenty of men get it on with women half their age – since the beginning of time just about.

I think this is a personal issue and we all should stay out of it.....
    the perp stole the woman's (perps ex-girlfriend – she recently dumped him) and perp using the diary and other items for extortion....totally against the law in NY.

just my 2 cents

October 2, 2009 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Mountain West

What ever DL did and didn't do in his personal life is not the issue. Most of his staff are highly paid professionals and at minimum adults - the consequences of this being public is obviously something he is willing to stand and face.

You have got to be impressed with his cojones - some one threatened to blow up his world and he called! Not just in a minor fashion, but in an overt, in your face - bring your worst - kind of way. This guy is going to prison for grossly over playing his hand, or under estimating DL's backbone in a fatal fashion. Good for Dave for calling the slimy Ahole out. You want to make two million bucks? Earn it.

October 2, 2009 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Leah N

WCM.....The bad behavior....the illegal behavoir is on the part of the the blackmailer....where are YOUR morals? Were you actually watching the DL Show on a regular basis? I don't think so.....your "moral" life is judging others. I like DL, I think he is funny and his private life in none of my business. Neither ypu nor I have business in another's sexual life.... I dare say that most of us who like DL will forgive him and accept his humble humaness. Those who were never fond of him, or feel their life is all about judging others will not forgive him. So, keep on not watching his show...keep telling yourself you are THE moral one, pat yourself on the back and lets all get on with life.

October 2, 2009 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  59. West Coast Morals

Oh PULEESE, Leah N. This IS NOT a boyfriend/girlfriend or a dating matter. This is not even a matter that directly involves Letterman's new wife, son or his marriage. When sex enters the workplace, it's becomes an entirely different animal! Yes, I would say most folks do had sex before marriage, even with different partner(s). But when sex involves a workplace superior who has power over you, your career and your livelihood, that becomes something quite different.

Tell me honestly, would you have enough money, power and legal representation available at your fingertips to fight somebody as powerful as Letterman? If you answer yes, you are an extremely lucky and wealthy woman! Most of us are bright enough to know we would be facing a losing battle.

Laws were put into place to protect the innocent, whether on the streets, in our homes, or at a workplace.

For what it's worth, I was against the Iraq war even before we sent the first troops there. However, I would have supported sending troops to Afghanistan had we gone there right after 9/11. We lost our opportunity; it is likely those guilty of that awful attack moved on long ago.

We have our own war going on in this country as to where we are headed as a moral people. I am no Jesus feak, nor am I a bible thumper, so none of this is coming from that type of a platform. I am just sick and tired of seeing this country sinking lower and lower on the moral scale. Where will it end?

October 2, 2009 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  60. West Coast Morals

While it is tempting to share the jokes and seek the humor in this story, this will not stop this type of behavior from continuing. The next time it could happen to you! We, as a society, need to pass the message on to Letterman (and others) that we will not tolerate anybody who uses their power over subordinates for their benefit. We will not condone anybody who manipulates this type of situation in an effort to make it appear that the perpetrator is ultimately the victim.

Do not watch Letterman in your homes! You and I can be the ones who start to turn around our decaying morals for something of which we can be proud.

October 2, 2009 at 7:58 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Leah N

Oh PULEESE! Come on! You're gonna get on some moral high horse about girl/boyfriends cheating? I will bet for most, sometime in their nonmarried life, somebody secretly went out with someone other than their regular relationship "friend". Most everyone has had their heart broken cause their special someone found someone else.

We don't know about DL's future, but in the past anyone of his relationships could have been a law suit and so far there is none. Johnny Carson and other entertainment personalities were and are known for their extramarital excursions. This is not new and DL will not be the last to make this kind of news.

Why is it, our country didn't ask questions when we planned to invade a country, knowing many civilians would die, but we get all judgmental about sex? Good grief....as a countryy we accepted torture in war on a higher moral ground than we can accept sexual liasons.

DL is an entertainer, not a politician and he is only as guilty as millions of Americans who have had sex with more than one person
    in their nonmarried life and millions who have had sex with others than their marital partner.

Johnny Carson did not let his own life experiences keep him from talking about others......DL will keep on, keeping on.

October 2, 2009 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Songbird

Perhaps the name of Letterman's production company should be Worldwide Unzipped Pants.

October 2, 2009 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  63. West Coast Morals

1) The accused is innocent until proven guilty in this country. We are not in a position to pass judgement as to whether or not an extortion attempt was made. The courts will handle that as well as any punishment if found guilty.

2) Letterman admitted to having sex with females who work on the set. Obviously, these were women with lesser stature than Letterman. What a horrible position for any woman to be placed in at any time, much less during these difficult economic times.

I find it extremely disturbing that Letterman's audience thought this whole matter was funny. They should be ashamed of themselves. How would they feel if he were talking about their mother, sister, daughter, cousin or friend?

Letterman is guilty by his own admission. His morals and values are lacking because he did not consider the affect this would have on these women. We are ready to pass a sentance on to Letterman. My vote is that we turn off his program, replacing it with something with more moral fiber!

October 2, 2009 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Toni

On set romances happen , office romances happen, school romances happen. Those are places people spend a large quantity of time together; they get to know each other and develop all kinds of relationship. Dave apparently had affair(s) in the work place.Is this our business? As far as we know they were consenting adults.Did the ladies really like him or did they agree to the affair for their own ulterior motives,well only "they" know.Let's not forget Ms.Lasko was one of his employees as well. Does this give Halderman the right to blackmail Dave?I do not think so. We also do not know when this affair(s) occurred. Before he married Ms.Lasko,during or now. But whatever the timeline, it is their personal life. Dave is an entertainer, that's his job and he does it extremely well. His personal life is just that...personal.

October 2, 2009 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  65. L Day

Now we know why his company is called "Worldwide Pants"

October 2, 2009 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Pat C

To me, David Letterman has always come acoss as arrogant, two faced and insensitive. I stopped watching him long before the Sara
    Palin issue. This does not surprise me. It would not surprise me if some co-workers were not really into doing an old man, but wanted to keep their job. Euuuuuuuw!!!! I never found him to be funny. I am heartned to see so many people that think infedelity is wrong. I feel he was a coward, he did not want to get rid of Regina, so he did it on the side. NO HONOR !!! So sad not only for Regina, but his son. Four years from now, he will read in an old tweet about his two timing dad.
    I'm pretty sure David Letterman did not think about this affecting how his son looks at him in his heart.l So Sad again. Time for you to go away from late night....Go bye cheating Dave

October 2, 2009 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
  67. CC

While this is likely embarrasing for Regina since it has been made public, however the public is not privy to the arrangements of their relationship. (nor should we as it is none of our business...)

However, it is feasable that they have an "Open relationship" where these 2 adults have agreed that it is acceptable to step out the confines of their relationship. I came to this conclusion based on the lack of remourse he showed when discussing it publically.

Now regarding relations with his staffers is not really a huge deal to me either. Providing both parties are consenting then there really is no issue is there? Of course, this would be a concern for the workplace but not nothing really to besmirch him about.

Just my thought on the whole "scandal" I'm actually quite impressed on how he attacked the situation prior to it coming back and biting him in the butt..

October 2, 2009 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Brandi

David Letterman just basically made himself no better then any of the other hollywood stars these days, simply does't see anything wrong with sleeping around. That is basically what our world has come to and why there is so many divorces today. I wonder what his wife is thinking right now?? Part of her has to be disappointed also. She may have known about this for some time now, I hope she did before they married so at least she knew what she was getting into. I hope for her sake this wasn't dropped on her after the marriage.

October 2, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  69. LBW

He is a powerful man and I have to wonder if he might have used that power in a wrong way. Powerful men have been known to tell employees that there must be sex or no job. I really hope that he didn't do that because that would change my opinion of him. I guess we will know as the whole story comes out and it will.

October 2, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |