September 30th, 2009

Not everyone in Hollywood supports Polanski

When we cover an event in Hollywood, sometimes we are tasked with asking celebrities questions about much more than just the event they're attending or their latest project.  This week we've been asking folks their take on Roman Polanski, who was arrested Saturday in Switzerland on a warrant relating to 1977 child sex charges. He admitted to having sex with a 13 year old girl but fled the country before his sentencing.

A petition signed by such Hollywood notables as Martin Scorsese, Pedro Almodovar, David Lynch, Jonathan Demme, John Landis and Tilda Swinton which urges Polanski's release has enraged many people who feel he should not be getting a pass. It's one thing to sign a petition and many of the celebrities we posed the Polanski question to demurred, but some were willing to share their opinions on camera.

Allison Sweeney, host of NBC's "The Biggest Loser," Jillian Michaels a trainer on the show, Tom Morello of "Rage Against the Machine," actress Lisa Kudrow, and Patricia Arquette star of  "Medium" tackled the question.

1. Harry

One problem – Lisa Kudrow does not star in Medium.

June 26, 2012 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  2. ExtekeeldMilt

I just got a new tattoo and tried H2ocean and it burned my skin and tattoo is scabbing..Anyone have any ideas on something that actually works?

August 12, 2011 at 1:30 am | Report abuse |
  3. Joel

It doesn't matter what the media says or what we say.
    The dirt bag is going to pay for his actions and when he does I bet his heels will be hot!!!

October 5, 2009 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tom Servo

Melissa,

"ALSO, Polanski originally had a plea agreement for a sentence of PROBATION "

The judge was under no legal obligation to accept the plea agreement, and he didn't..

October 3, 2009 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  5. Tom Servo

"The VICTIM has repeatedly requested for the matter to GO AWAY!"

The victim's wish is irrelevant in a criminal case. Society at large has an inherent interest in seeing that all crimes are vigorously prosecuted, without regard for the accused person's wealth or influence.

------------

"Is there a statute of limitation on rape?!! "

Polanski was already convicted. The statute of limitations clock ran out when he was charged with a crime.

October 3, 2009 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  6. gillianinoz

I can uncomplicate it for you. Imagine if it happened yesterday instead of 30 years ago.
    See? Not complicated at all.

October 2, 2009 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. jackie

he plead guilty to rapping her, than he fled. so no, he hasnt been punished for his crimes. it doesnt matter if it happend 1 year ago, or 30. i love lisa kudrow saying the 13 year old isnt a 13 year old girl anymore...well jaycee duggard isnt an 11 year old anymore, should we let her rapist go?

October 2, 2009 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. michelle

I agree with Christa. We need to boycott any movies made by these people who have signed this petition. The only way to teach these people that the rest of America doesn't tolerate pedophiles and that creativity, fame and money doesn't control our view of what is right and wrong is by punishing them where it hurts... in their pocket books. We make them rich, we make them famous, now it is time show them that we don't like their defense of a rapist.

October 2, 2009 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. christa

Mr. Weinstein from Hollywood who is involved in movies, says Polanski is a great human and Harrison Ford is on his side, please boykott any one who is on Polanski ( child molester ) side. Now I have to wonder about Harrison Ford too, has he no shame to support a child molester. These people who got rich because of us, have no MORALS.

October 2, 2009 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Mark

I grew up in Hollywood, CA and it wasn't until I left that I realized how different people's view of reality is back there. To most people, especially those of us with kids (and even more so to those of us with daughters), Polanski is a pathetic child molester who needs to go to prison for the rest of his life.

However, the people in "fantasy land" (as THEY call it), honestly believe that his talents should be a get-out-of-jail card for almost any behavior. It just shows how out of touch many (not all) Hollywood celeberties are with reality. These are the same people who said it wasn't Micheal Jackson's fault that he was addicted to drugs. Who's fault was it then?

Please remember this perverted view of the world the next time you see a celebrity promoting this cause or that candidate and ask yourself if that person really share your values or is still in fantasy land.

October 2, 2009 at 2:37 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Joe

Manu, the statute of limitation would not apply here as he was already convicted, he ran before sentencing when he found out his plea deal may not be accepted by the judge.

October 2, 2009 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Joe

It is immaterial that the victim does not want him to be punished. He was convicted and the plea deal was not accepted by the judge (now deceased) before Polanski ran away. Now a retired attorney from the DA office is recanting his story for the documentary on this subject, saying he never spoke with the judge and there was no Ex parte communication. So as I see it, bring him back and sentence him to the maximum allowed by law, and also convict him and sentence him on his flight from justice.

October 2, 2009 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. BA

Stick Polanski in a cell with Charles Manson. It will give him a chance to give Charlie that death scentence he escaped for killing his wife. And if Polanski can't do it, he will see what it's like to be sodomized; ethier way society wins.

October 2, 2009 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Manu

All those people who stand by Polanski should be ashamed of themselves. I wonder if they had the same reaction if it was their 13 year old child who got drugged and raped .

Is there a statute of limitation on rape?!! If there isn't, then why are we debating this? Polanski is a convicted child molester. The law applies to everybody. Or is he above the law ?

October 2, 2009 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  15. christa

One more thing, I watched the View because of Whoopi, but no more. I did like Debra Winger, but no more. The girl was 13, he gave her drugs. She also got a settlement from him, you see money makes a childmolester get away with it. He is a monster ( Polanski ). Look and research his life, after that RAPE, he still got involved with very young girls, barely over 16 in France and I think in other countries too. It makes me ILL to think that he is supported by some very sick people of the Entertainment World. Shame on you Whoopi and Debra and all the rest of them. People remember, do not watch any of their shows and movies, music ect.ect. If they have no more money they have to work much harder, hopefully they loose everything. CNN I held you in higher regards.

October 2, 2009 at 6:16 am | Report abuse |
  16. christa

No matter what, she was 13 at the time. So to me he was and is a childmolester. If he was not a so called celebrity, we would ask for his head. People who support him are probably leaning towards child molestation too. I am sick and tired that so called Celebrities are getting away with murder and childmolestation and a lot more. We should boycott all these celebrity supporters, we should not support their shows, their movies, if they are in any kind of team, we should have the decentcy as parents to not watch any thing what these supportes do. Do not forget we are the ones who made them rich and it is our choice to make them struggle again. Do not support these so called celebrities any longer, because they support child molestation. I am ashamed of Hollywood, because these are the people with no morals and do not forget, these are the people our children and grandchildren look up too.

October 2, 2009 at 5:53 am | Report abuse |
  17. Wally Boyce

What happens to Polanski is pretty much irrelavent at this time ,but the damage being done to the victim and her family is in no way related to justice. Shame on all who are sensationalizing this case.
    After thirty years does the victim and her family deserve no peace.
    The family should sue the State of California and just about every media outlet in the world for damages. Think about it . There may not be that many courts that would not find for the plaintif in this case.

October 2, 2009 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  18. asc

I have to say I am extremely disappointed (but not surprised) by the ones in Hollywood who are supporting this monster. Even before I read about the details of the rape, I considered what he did as rape. If someone gives a 13 year old girl drugs and alcohol and then has sex with her, I think everyone should consider that rape.

But after I read the details of what he did, I am truly outraged by anyone that supports him. I can only image what the victim has gone through. I can also understand why she wants it dropped because of how the media is, but that wouldn't be true justice.

I will never knowingly go to another movie that Polanski has anything to do with. I am also not going to support any of the Hollywood stars that support him. Even if that means I miss seeing a movie or a tv show. I mean what is more important: watching a movie or standing up for what is right.

I think Debra Winger and Whoopi Goldberg should be extremely ashamed of themselves. It really didn't surprise me that Whoopi said what she did because I think she's an idot anyway because of other comments that she has made. But I used to admire Debra Winger, but no more.

EVERYONE NEEDS TO STAND UP FOR WHAT IS RIGHT!

October 1, 2009 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Deby

If Polanski were not rich and famous, he'd have done his time and already long since moved on with his life. The fact is, he committed two very serious crimes – first raping a child, then evading justice. He belongs in prison. IF there were indeed serious flaws with his arrest and trial as he has alleged, then let him come forward to the US and present his case.

October 1, 2009 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Lynda

If it had been my child, this wouldn't even be an issue. They would be a THS on how Roman Polanski had been horribly murdered by a crazed mother. Just saying...........

October 1, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Lynda

Roman Polanski should be punished for his crime, I don't care how old he or the case is. I, myself, had a situation close to this as a child, fortunately there was no penetration. I was 11 years old at a babysitters friends house. We were in the jacuzzi with his wife. She went in to clean up. We stayed outside. He plied me with beer and then fondled me and told me not to tell. It wasn't like they were going to believe me he said. I didn't. Then I became everyones victim.
    SHAME ON DEBRA WINGER AND WHOOPI GOLDBERG!!!! Woody Allen I understand. I mean, pedophiles have to stick together right?
    But them I don't understand. Since when is rape determined on whether it's rape or rape-rape? And Debra, "it's a 30 year old case that's all but dead except for a minor technicality"? What's the technicality? That the victim is still alive? Of course she doesn't want to be victimized again, when hollywood blames the victim if the rapist is a "genius".
    But I agree with someone who said "Where was her mother?" In my case my mother was at work and entrusted me to a babysitter, who took me to someone elses house. Where was her mother and why wasn't she with her at all times? Where was Jack Nicholson? It was his house!
    And where is all the hollywood megastars who DON'T support pedophiles? Why aren't they just as loud in saying he SHOULD go to jail?

October 1, 2009 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Maria

I don't know which is worse... his crime, or the fact that people are willing to overlook it!

October 1, 2009 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Frank Mondana

Polanski needs to be punished. He did a very disgusting thing.

That said.....

All those I read in these forums who are full of indignation at the "Hollywood types" and threaten boycotts are being disingenuous.
    As soon as the next blockbuster or TV show comes out that "they" have dying to see, the puffed chest bravado will falter.

That's why very few "boycotts" against the entertainment industry succeed.

So, yes, Polanski is a rapist and I very much hope he dies in prison but stop the righteous indignation.
    It doesn't last very long anyhow.

October 1, 2009 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  24. jme82

I just think it's odd that people seem to be under the impression that "artist" and "moral" have anything to do with each other. "He's a good director" is not a defense in a case like this. I agree with the person who said that had Polanski been a janitor, it would be different. Fame and Money can buy anything, it seems.

October 1, 2009 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
  25. diane

@anita–while the tragedies involving Brandy and Rebecca Gayheart resulted in someone's death, the difference is theirs were accidents. What Polanski did was intentional! He needs to go to jail and the public needs to boycott all who support him. I was extremely disappointed in what Whoopi said. I have always liked and respected her but now I'm not so sure. If this were her daughter or granddaughter, I doubt she would be so forgiving.

October 1, 2009 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  26. mer

Mr. Polanski should most certainly go to jail for his crime. I understand the case was badly handled, and there was some political grandstanding that took place. I also understand the victim wants it to all go away – who can blame her? Fortunately, it's not up to her, or anyone who had access to their victim could 'persuade' them to drop charges.

As for not seeing movies by Mr. Polanski and his supporters, I believe we have to separate the art from the artist. Art has an intrinsic value, even when the artist might be a terrible person. Mel Gibson clearly has some issues with Jews that are deplorable. Yet, a couple of his movies are terrific. Van Gogh was a nut, but his art is beautiful. His friend Paul Gauguin was a violent ass, but his art also stands the test of time.

October 1, 2009 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  27. CU

Once again, it takes the common sense of normal Americans to point out that Roman Polanski should be VILLIFIED and not supported. I am disgusted that anyone would support him. But as disgusted as I am by the Hollywood community, I am equally disgusted at the original cover by CNN. Had the outrage of middle America not been so loud, CNN would have continued with their irresponsible coverage that highlighted the support of known pedophile Woody Allen without elaborating on the specifics of his heinous crime.

The facts are:

The girl was 13. He gave her Quaaludes and champagne. He made her pose nude. He gave her "cuddlies" (her words, which when pressed she elaborated was oral sex.) Then he raped her and to add insult to injury, he sodomized her–all the while she was saying no. She got into the car distraught and she stated how afraid she was. HONESTLY–what about this is not rape??????? Does one have to now get beaten for it to be considered rape by Hollywood????

October 1, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  28. holly

melissa k –

the prosecutor works for 'the people', not the victim. it is the state's job to protect the community. thus, they should be bringing polanski back to face the music and accept responsibility for a crime that he plead guilty to.

this victim may have forgiven her rapist, but if it didn't bother her in the first place, she would not have said 'no' when polanski forced himself on her, nor would she have told her mother, or given a statement to the police 30 years ago. from what i've read/seen about her, she wants this to go away so that the media does not accuse her of being a 'lolita' like they did 30 years ago, understandably. i would venture to guess that if the whole world supported her 30 years ago, she would be in full support of bringing polanski to justice today.

i'm appalled by whoopi's comment of how this isn't 'rape, rape'. what the f*& does that mean? her, someone her portrayed a rape/incest victim in 'the color purple'. it's disgusting.

i'm like everyone else. if those in hollywood support polanski so much, i'm sure there's a skeevy director who would love to not 'rape,rape' their 13 year old.

polanski needs to be brought back here and take full responsibility for the crime he committed and please guilty to.

btw, i am fan of 'rosemary's baby', however, i am balanced enough to be able to separate morality from immorality.

October 1, 2009 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  29. Runnin from Roman

Hollywood Actors and Actresses – The “Masters of Make Believe” who think they know best when it comes to politics and world events (how many of them even have a college degree in the arts, let alone graduated from high school???)

You know that when Woody Allen joins your cause in support of a pedophile, that you backed the wrong horse.

Right after this story broke, I immediately waited to see how many of Hollywood’s elite would come rushing to Polanski’s defense and voice their comments that he should be set free. Funny thing is, I didn’t see any of them chiming in, at first. I didn’t really see anything from Hollywood for at least 2-3 days after Polanski’s arrest (and I waited). It wasn’t until France and other countries started complaining till everyone began following their lead. Then… I finally started seeing comments posted by the Hollywood elite, as many of them (although not all of them) had to come rushing to Polanski’s defense and demand his immediate release.

That spoke volumes to me. None of Polanski’s Hollywood defenders wanted to stick their neck out for him until France itself helped give them some “Backbone” to voice their comments. Yes, it says a lot about your character when you wait for a country’s government to start complaining before you finally open your Big Pie Holes! Why weren’t you voicing these same comments the very next day Hollywood? Were you afraid you would look like you were a friend to pedophiles everywhere.

If this guy had been a janitor at this little girl's school and he ran from the law, everyone would be supporting his capture. Roman “Pole”anski: One of the World’s Greatest Pedophile Directors. Imagine some of his greatest “Conquests” that we never had the pleasure of reading about.

October 1, 2009 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  30. Noreen

This guy is a fugative and a self admitted rapist. DUH! He belongs in jail. I CANNOT believe people are on his side. They are as twisted as he his. I want to know who is on his side... I DEFINITELY WILL BOYCOT everything they are involved in.

October 1, 2009 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  31. The L

sorry I meant "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs"

October 1, 2009 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  32. The L

My opinion: Polanski should go to jail unless his victim says otherwise. Now about this boycotting the films...I do see how hitting them in the wallet would hurt them...however, these are some of the greatest filmmakers the world has to offer. We'd also be denying ourselves quality entertainment...in a time where spaghetti with a chance of meatballs is #1 two weeks in a row can we afford to cast aside the art for the sake of the artist? Van gogh's paintings are excellent...but he was a stalker who cut of his ear lobe and sent it to a girl. Do you refuse to look at van gogh paintings any longer? Probably not. In this case it's a double edged sword your using when you cut off your nose to spite your face. If you enjoy film, as I do, you're ultimately punishing yourself along with the filmmakers who are probably just listening to the victim anyway about this being done and him leading his life and her leading her own.

October 1, 2009 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  33. LBW

Sharon Tate's sister must be on his pay roll to say such a stupid thing. Thirteen year old children do not consent to being sodomized.

October 1, 2009 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  34. Angel

A 13 -year old was raped and there is a complication to whether or not he should be in jail. A 13-year old–would it be less complicated if it were a 13-year old boy or if the 13-year old said he should be in jail. Oh yeah because a 13-year kid is in control of his/her own life. She can buy booze, a house or rent an apartment and be expected to show up to a full-time job and pay her rent on time–not spending her money foolishly.

What is wrong with people today if there is something complicated in that an old man raped a little girl or is it just the age old problem with calling rich people rapists (or whatever the crime) when they are rapists (known sick minded criminals).

October 1, 2009 at 10:55 am | Report abuse |
  35. David

So, would these Hollywood elites feel the same way if Polanski was a Catholic priest or Republican senator?

October 1, 2009 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  36. Floridian

Got to say the famous stars getting away with all kinds of garbage situation is no different than all the Kennedy boys getting away with all kinds of things, Teddy (Maryjo Kopechne and the bridge), Patrick Kennedy in Palm Beach County (raped Patricia Bowen and nothing happened to him), a DUI against another Kennedy and nothing happened, John Kennedy and Robert Kennedy (Marilyn Monroe's death) –

it's all BS – but America is going the way of the BS 24/7/365 now......

Not even to mention the preplanned dumbing down of America. I hate the View too.

But I must say Joy Behar's new show on HLN – is far better than I ever thought it was going to be so I'm hoping she eventually leaves The View. She is absolutely delightful on her new show, surprisingly so in my mind.

October 1, 2009 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  37. selena

I want to boycott these dumb artist. I am a movie buff and I distest bootleg but I will support any bootleg now if the artist that support this perv is in it...the industry losses money because of piracy, lets hit them where it hurts, their pockets. I will never watch another episode of the View and I was a fan and I liked Whoopi (whose a women&mother) but what she said crossed the line..I am disgusted with all of them

October 1, 2009 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  38. anita

lets be honest. he's going to get away with it. he's famous and the famous can kill someone (brandy & rebecca gayhart) and get a slap on the wrist. and as for the ones who want him released, you are as bad as he is. woody allen? he is a pediphile also. and if he gets bail in switzerland, he is going to run back to a non-extradition country. im glad his victim seems to be moving on from the incident. but a child raper is a child raper, no matter who he is. and why was this child in his company? where were her parents?

October 1, 2009 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  39. Movie Fan

Since 1968, the USA motion picture industry has told the 13-to-16 year old that they are old enough to pay adult prices, while at the same time not old enough to see an R rated film without a parent or guardian. They could say 17 and above pay adult prices while 16 and under pay children's prices, but, they will not do that, because they want the two adult tickets that R rated films bring in.

The USA motion picture has shown for 41 years they are comfortable of imposing a double standard to the 13-to-16 year old in order to make more money.

It is not surprising that the majority of the people in the Kodak Theatre gave Roman Polanski a standing ovation in 2003 after he won the best director award for The Pianist. He drugged and raped a 13 year old girl and the majority of the people in the film industry do not care. There is a statue of a "casting couch" outside the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles. Proof of the belief that sex is used by the film industry to hire people.

I am glad that the ratings for the Academy Awards have gone down in the past few years and that the majority of Americans do not agree with the USA motion picture industry's attitude towards a criminal who drugged and raped a 13 year old girl.

October 1, 2009 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  40. Wes

This man raped a thirteen year old girl. He drugged her and raped her and sodomized her. He's a creep and should do time for his crime.

October 1, 2009 at 8:35 am | Report abuse |
  41. David

Minor correction L. Crocker...he wasnt accused he was convicted. The only reason he's been free for so long is because he fled and lived in countries that wouldnt arrest and send him back here. I think it is disgusting some of the hollywood types think he should get a pass because it "was a 30 year old crime" or it wasnt "rape rape" (although the definition of rape is nonconsensual...and you cant give consent being drugged) I also find it ironic that Woody Allen of all people think he should be freed.

October 1, 2009 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  42. Lynn

I can't understand how some of these people can defend this monster. And say he made a "little mistake" if the victim was their own daughter they would feel differently. Of course maybe they defend him because they are twisted themselves; Woody Allen for example. Also they have all made a lot of money off this "genius". Disgusting!

October 1, 2009 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  43. Mike

Why would we feel sorry for you, because you're in your 70's and might not survive if youre sent to jail. Too bad. Should have manned-up and faced these charges and conviction 30 years ago. Too bad, so sad-

October 1, 2009 at 6:34 am | Report abuse |
  44. Mike

There's something wrong with today when we have to even question whether or not someone convicted of the rape and molestation of a 13 year old, should be cleared of all charges or convicted and sentenced. I personally dont care who Roman Polanski is, or was. As far as im concerned, he's a child molester and sodomiser.The way I see it, his career shoud have no bearing on whether or not to be found guilty or not. If I or any other common no-name citizen commits a crime of that nature, there wont even be a second thought about charges being brought on us. Oh yeah, we're common everyday people, we're not famous. Why should someones social status dictate what happens or more often than not, DOESNT HAPPEN when someone famous commits a crime? I understand money can buy good lawyers and a good defense team, but who cares? If you commit a crime against a child as Polanski did, you should suffer just the same as any everyday citizen. Im tired of hearing about how these stars get special treatment when they get caught driving under the influence, when drugs are found in their posession, or when they beat their girlfriends. When they get their chance for a public statement, they throw out some lame excuse for why they did what they did. Usually its something like, " Im under alot of pressure ", or " Im going through a rough time right now in my life ". GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!! What a joke! YOU HAVE IT BETTER THAN MOST PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY, OR IN THE WORLD, AND YOU CANT HANDLE A ROUGH TIME IN YOUR LIFE WITHOUT DRUGS OR D.U.I'S?

October 1, 2009 at 6:23 am | Report abuse |
  45. gwen

My brother was charged statutory rape for being 21 having consensual sex with a 15 year old. He is now on the sex offender registry for the rest of his life. Technically he is not allowed to pick his child up from school. Polanski was in his forties and the girl 13. He was basically a pedaphile. Why is my brother suffering while Polaski is most likely going to get a slap on the wrist? That's what being rich and famous means in our justice system.

October 1, 2009 at 5:32 am | Report abuse |
  46. A. Cruz

Unbelievable! I am disgusted... Consensual?? It is clearly “rape” as well as "lewd and lascivious acts with a child under the age of 14" (as per the law), among others. Where is the shame of these Hollywood worms... Of French and Polish officials? And women? What is wrong with them? Let a regular guy (not Ooooo Polanski!) give one of their 13-year-old daughters (or sisters) alcohol, some Quaalude and then rape them. Yes, rape! I can't believe that these same Hollywood types pretend to be enlightened when it comes to social issues. Really, their true faces are showing... I guess they will cover their own when it suits them. But it couldn't be more disgusting. No, it couldn’t be!

October 1, 2009 at 4:37 am | Report abuse |
  47. Chrissie

I would love for CNN to post a complete list of the people who have signed this petition, especially the celebrities – I plan to boycott EVERY artist who has signed the petition and will encourage others to do the same.

October 1, 2009 at 2:51 am | Report abuse |
  48. tina

I will NEVER watch any movie that the people who sighed that petittion made, acted, directed or produced!

October 1, 2009 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  49. Jan

Bravo that Roman Palanski, on-the-run criminal has finally been re-arrested. He should be brought back to the US and imprisoned for his crime. I worked in Hollywood in the 70's & 80's. No man or woman can be allowed to use their power nor artistic genius to get away with seducing or raping, especially with alcohol and drugs, a child or underage teen. IF PALANSKI GETS AWAY WITH THIS CRIME, ALL FILM PRODUCERS AND DIRECTORS AROUND THE WORLD GET THE MESSAGE THAT SEDUCING OR RAPING THE YOUNGSTERS IS OK. SURELY THAT WOULD BE HELL.

October 1, 2009 at 1:41 am | Report abuse |
  50. Melissa K.

One further note: Why wasn't her mother investigated for child neglect at the time of the incident? She not only SOUGHT the 'interview/audition' for her daughter with Polanski. She WILLINGLY let her go with him unchaperoned! Where was the justice system then?
    I've known people to lose custody of their children to Child Protective Services for much lesser offenses.

October 1, 2009 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  51. Melissa K.

The VICTIM has repeatedly requested for the matter to GO AWAY! She blames the JUDICIAL SYSTEM for RE-OFFENDING HER and her family repeatedly. In her 40s now with children of her own, the punishment for her is the continued reopening of this matter which prevents her from 'healing.'
    She said it is not only like it happening all over again for HER, but also hurts her husband, her children and her mother. The PRESS continues to violate their lives in an eerily similar fashion.
    WHEN DOES SHE GET HEARD? She has submitted affidavits to the courts that have gone unanswered and her wishes disrespected.
    ALSO, Polanski originally had a plea agreement for a sentence of PROBATION (also agreed to by the victim and her family – who, by the way received a civil settlement for an undisclosed amount at that time).
    WHERE IS THE TRUTH IN REPORTING ON THIS STORY?! Again, I find the PRESS extremely lacking in journalistic integrity...INCLUDING CNN!

October 1, 2009 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  52. Steve

Can someone post the petition these Hollywood idiots signed and identify 'all' of those who signed. I want to know whose work to boycott in the future.

October 1, 2009 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
  53. Steve

Please continue to publish the names of those in the Entertainment community who support Polanski. I clearly want to know whose movies NOT to see and whose music NOT to listen to. There are not many 'absolutes' in current society – but a middle aged man having sex with a 13 year old is NEVER consensual, it is rape of the worst kind, and is absolutely wrong - Go To Jail, and Do Not Pass Go; unless of course you flee the country. Hollywood - this is oh so wrong!

October 1, 2009 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  54. Holly Weird

Apparently Polanski was man enough on the night he slept with her, so why isn't he man enough to face the consequences?

Remember the part in Erin Brochovich when she offered the execs the "contaminated" water (which wasn't) and they wouldn't touch it?Perhaps Martin Scorsese, Debra Winger and all those other "artists" who support this "artistic genius" should prove it. Let them send their 13 year old daughter, niece, etc to a nice secluded home to share a glass of champagne, a pill or two and then spend the night with the "great director". They shouldn't have a problem with THAT should they? After all, as Whoopi said, it wasn't rape, rape. No, not at all, it was just rape... of a 13 year old, stupid...Why don't they just shut up and stay busy developing "their craft".....

September 30, 2009 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Lee

Don't go and see anyone's movie that supports RAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This guy is a self admitted rapist. He went to court as long as it suited him. Once he believed the case was going to go against him he fled the country. He did not stop there he did not hide like a NAZI but rather shot the finger at the United States every chance he got.

If this guy was anyone in Atlanta, Georgia you'd be comparing all this scum bag to all the other scum bags and adding 5 more years to his time!

I hope the list is published so that we know who in Hollywood supports rape of minors.

Let's tell them we don't support them! Show them in their pocket books – don't buy their music, books, or movies.
    Don't go and buy anything from someone who supports rape of minors!

September 30, 2009 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Yzma

So boycott the ones whose opinions you don't like – and let them know why. I don't care for the guys reported above to be on the Pro-Roman side anyway so it's not going to be a hardship for me. I'm not too thrilled with Whoopee's "consensual" comment about a drugged 13-year old either. She said it wasn't "rape rape" as if it's ok to use drugs instead of threats.

September 30, 2009 at 8:56 pm | Report abuse |
  57. L Crocker

Why would any accused pedophile be let go? And why did it take so very long to arrest the perv? He needs to be punished for what he's done. Just because he's famous doesn't mean he should receive a get out of jail free card. I just wonder how many other girls he's done this to since then who are too intimidated to report him.

September 30, 2009 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Runnin from Roman

Polanski = SODOMIZER of a MIDDLE SCHOOL GIRL
    He needs a taste of his own medicine! Then let's see how he feels after Bubba does to him, what he does to little girls.

He is a PREDATOR!
    Read about what was presented in the court case and if you're still condoning what this "Predator" did to this little girl, I would have to question whether you could justify doing something like this to someone's child yourself (or you already have).

September 30, 2009 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Beth

That's why I love Jillian Michaels, she got it right. Though I don't condone violence it's hard to argue with such a base honest reaction. No sympathy for someone who would commit such a horrible act. And to even attempt to justify it is even worse.

September 30, 2009 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  60. linda monroe

Would these same people who want Polanski release feel the same way if it was their minor sons or daughters who were drugged and raped?

September 30, 2009 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |