September 30th, 2009

Jon and Kate: A family in shambles

I thought I was done with the Gosselin posts - really, I did. I was done being frustrated; done trying to figure out what was going on; done trying to offer advice; done trying to just “get it”; just done. But I need to get a few things off of my chest; share a few thoughts with my blog readers who I know share these frustrations with me.

gosselins

Let’s start with Jon since he seems to be making all of the headlines the past few days—or the past few months I suppose. Jon, I have run out of cliché’s to throw at you. ‘Enough is enough’; ‘stop the madness’; ‘get it together’; I just don’t have words for you anymore - and as all of you readers can attest to, that is a problem I seldom have.

I personally think that Jon getting dropped from “Jon and Kate Plus 8”was his plan all along. He never liked being on the show and as much as he protests, I feel that it contributed to the decline of his marriage. I also think that it is a calculated move for him to have halted his divorce proceedings; he has to have some ulterior motive, whether it be for press, public perception or something else, I haven’t quite put my finger on it yet.

Let’s be honest here folks - there is no way that he thinks he is going to reconcile with Kate. This is the guy that told ABC’s Chris Cuomo a few weeks ago that he “despised” Kate, so I am pretty sure that all hope of another vow renewal is all for naught.

Alright Kate, it’s your turn. Let’s not pretend that you aren’t coming out of this smelling like roses. You have a great PR team - good job on that one. Here’s the thing though, all of the PR in the world can’t hide the fact that you aren’t without blame here. You bear some responsibility - and I am not just talking about your constant verbal abuse of Jon.

Do you really think that it was a good idea, while your marriage was in the midst of crumbling, to continue your book tour? I know that it’s always been about building the “Gosselin” brand but talk about bad timing! You had plenty of cash coming in, money certainly wasn’t an issue; perhaps that time would have been better spent at home with your husband and children.

So you managed to get yourself some great press - you’ve made the talk show rounds, going everywhere from “The View” to our very own “Larry King Live”. Now that you are on the winning side of the PR battle - how does it feel? Was it everything you hoped for? Tell me Kate, have you seen what some of the tabloids are saying lately about the father of your children? You are a smart woman Kate, and clearly a savvy business woman - take a look and then you tell me if you think all press is good press.

Jon and Kate, you have made a mockery of your family. Parents are supposed to set examples for their children to look up to and emulate; look in the mirror - is this the example you want to be setting?

1. Debbie McKinnie

ENOUGH...Yes it is sad that things have not worked out the way you planned, but for god sake's their are many out there who are divorced. Times are tough, most single parents won't see 200k in their lifetime.

Jon grow up, you fathered those children.

Kate stop whining and crying, now you have all that on record for you children to watch in the future.

I watched your show because I thought how refreshing a real family trying to live the American dream.

Just keep your mouths shut, I for one am sick of it all.

October 14, 2009 at 9:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sharon

i think jon is right to get his kids off that show because of the way kate treats him she needs to stop acting like a cry baby im ss to say but she wants every one to feel sry for her but i just dont feel sry for her one bite to me shes a real whinner all she dose is whinne im sick of it her tears r fake those children dont have a penny saved for their college because kate spends to much momey ty

October 7, 2009 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  3. Kati

Jon and Kate were so real when the show started but when the perps of celebrity started rolling in, they seemed to loose their way. I suspect if Kate had not had a tummy tuck and Jon had not got his hair implants, they would still be real people working their way together and raising those beautiful children.

October 2, 2009 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  4. Manda

Kevin, re-check your literacy. It's their, not there. You must have a sad life too, you're posting. Step off your box, you're one of us. You're a woman and not a very smart one.
    Cancel this show and quiet the "Kevins" of the world.

October 1, 2009 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Gabby

TLC needs to cancel the show period. The premise of the show no longer involve parents raising multiples, but now has turned into a Hollywood circus w/ all the "he said...she said". This is The Learning Channel, not Spike TV or E! where reality shows w/ this type of behavior would be considered normal and expected. TLC used to be a safe haven to watch TV. Pull the plug before it's too late. Let the family deal w/ its problem in private.

October 1, 2009 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. jl

Boo-hoo Jon. Lost your easy check- now you got to get a "REAL JOB" & as for this poor Jon BS- Be a man. Kate was nothing more that a wife that needed to keep control of 8 kids and an oblivious DA husband. Don't ruin what little life you have left for the kids Jon. If you would stop worry about that dumb blonde.

October 1, 2009 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  7. LSBH

Please cancel this show.

October 1, 2009 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Matt

Has everyone forgot that Jon was the one who left? Yes Kate was part of the problem by verbally beating Jon up on a daily basis. Why did Jon tolerate the verbal abuse? He has brough this on himself by not being man enouph to stand up for himself, man enough to demand respect from his wife and man enough to stay in his marriage and honor his vows. "In good times and bad, in sickness and in health forsaking all others..." When the going got rough HE left, not Kate. Kate spoke to him that way because he allowed it. Instead of rolling his eyes and being passive aggressive he should have cared enough about his marriage to take steps to protect it. Steps such as being a man and demanding respect. Kate was always strong willed. He knew this when he married her. Kate needs a stronger man that can deal with her more effectively. Not this sniveling little so called man. Jon brought this on himself. He left the family = he is off the show. By the way I have seen Kate cry about the breakup of her marriage. All we get from him is that he despised Kate. She has always been better than to make a statement like that.

October 1, 2009 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Johnny

Jon is just doing what is best for him and his kids. Kate needs to be a good wife, shut up and stay in the kitchen. This show gave her too much time to talk. It doesn't surprise me he wanted to leave. It won't surprise me when the kids want to leave as well.

October 1, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  10. janr

It's a legal tactic. Jon has halted divorce proceedings to have some control over the situation. The longer they are married, the longer it's a 50/50 situation- and his 50% counts! Once they are divorced, one parent will be assigned – no matter how the visitation is split – the majority of the "custodial" right to make decisions on things like what school the kids go to, who they spend time with and of course – whether they can be filmed for a reality show. (even if it's only a 51%/49% designation – one parent will ultimately have the final say.) So obviously, if that person is Kate, he can basically be vetoed. He can't interfere with any kind of income Kate wants to generate and then he is off the show and can't even do anything about it! He has become a full-fledged loser – he got what he wanted and now is throwing a big “mantrum” over it b/c TLC doesn't need him.

October 1, 2009 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Cathy

Enough already. Jon Gosselin is just another won't work guy that fathers children and then walks away with a different woman. I think the term in the past was deadbeat dad. Having been a single mom for a while myself, my heart goes out to Kate. Apparently this guy has never had a real job, even before his 15 minutes of fame. I don't blame her acid tongue. Some help would be nice occasionally when one has 8 little ones and one big one to support.
    I think, as one person commented earlier, that what we are seeing now is the true Jon and that Kate has had that on a daily basis. I think that he has been a lazy cheat from the git go. I wonder how many more children he will create and leave.

October 1, 2009 at 3:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. dawn

Just stop watching. The more attention you give these people and the network, the further they will go with this format.

October 1, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  13. T. G.

CANCEL JON AND KATE! PUT THEM OUT OF THEIR MISERY!

October 1, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bev in Texas

PLUS, what truly "single mother" has a cook, nannies, bodyguards at their beck and call....? Kate Gosselin has come off as completely shallow and uncaring to me. When she beat her child on camera... that was the absolute final straw for me. She seems so self-centered and only mothers these children when the cameras are "on".... this is not parenting, this is a modern day Dionne Quintuplets tragedy.

October 1, 2009 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bev in Texas

Yes, Kate Gosselin was the "first" Octomom – many bloggers who have been concerned about this show since it first arrived on TLC and started digging found out that they've been asking for handouts since the first ultrasound.

-They had the kids on public assistance, meaning the citizens of PA paid for them
    -Kate begged the state for another year of a Medicare approved nurse – which they got for 12 months free

Do some internet searching and you will find where they were on a home improvement show for the 'tups homecoming, then they shopped their own video of them with the kids. This was calculated to some extent.

When the show first started, many of us were fascinated by this many kids – dad worked all day weekdays, mom stayed home and worked weekends as a nurse – they had to make ends meet like the rest of us.

The show spun out of control as the popularity and the monies changed the parents – or really not changed as much as MAGNIFIED the traits already existing: self-serving, selfish, and greedy people. Kate didn't look all tanned and fixed up until the show made that possible. Even her "old" pictures she looked like a normal person – now she has a stylist. As she continued to grow the "brand" – via books she didn't even write mind you (again internet search on Beth Carson, the true author of the first book – the second book nothing but pictures and Bible verses, she didn't write THAT) she was gone from the home – getting and seeking fame. What person needs a bodyguard for $1600.00/day? No these people changed and their kids PAID FOR ALL OF THIS WITH THEIR CHILDHOODS!!!

Now I am glad that the Exploitation of these kids is finally being addressed, if they lived in California... they would have been protected. The parents made the decisions to buy mansions and stuff – they should have stayed in their old home, and only shoot one or twice a year. The kids have suffered long enough – FREE THE GOSSELIN EIGHT!!!

October 1, 2009 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Linda

Kevin I for one am not jealous of Kate. She is a cold women, and Jon is a ass. But everyone is forgetting about the kids in this mess. Those two can do what they want but think of what both are doing to the kids. And Kate had those kids to make money. She is just another octo-mom, and Jon is just as bad for letting it happen. If you can't support those kids on your own don't have them. But she always wanted to be a star and this is how she thinks will get her there.
    They both need help for the choices they are making. I feel for the kids, they need to have a normal life and not have a camera in there face all the time.

October 1, 2009 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kevin

Jon is a professional victim. In his view it is always someone elses fault and never his own. And, what's worse is that too many people fall for it. Is it because these people also want to blame others for their lack of effort, education, competency, etc.? What we know is that Jon uses people by manipulating them into feeling sorry for him and then takes advantage of them. He's had numerous extramarital affairs and people are attacking Kate for his lack of basic morality.

A strong woman is criticized for being too aggressive, too demanding, or abusive. Yet, a strong man is idealized. Unfortunately, women cannot stand for another woman to be successful at anything. The fangs and claws sprout out and they go on the attack. Just look at these posts. Most of the posters are nearly illiterate in there attempt at denigrating Kate. Unfortunately, those posts are more reflective of the posters sad lives.

October 1, 2009 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Linda

I am sick of hearing about both of them. Jon with his girls, and Kate with her bodyguard. They both need to grow up and act like parents. Which they do not know what it means. They have nannies to do all the work for them. All they have to do is put a smile on their face when the camera are on. Kate is a cold hearted women, and all she thinks about is money and shopping. Jon well we all know all he was thinking about was the girls. That is till TLC dropped him. They both need to get off their asses and get a real job.And think of those kids. They are going to grow up and hate them. Which I am sorry to say will not bother Kate since all she sees is money when she looks at them. She is like Octo-mom have kids to make her money. It sickens me what they are both doing now.

October 1, 2009 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  19. Catilyn

Kate has not once thought about the well being of her children. All she cares about is herself me me me me. The state, the courts need to step in and put these children with real people. What they need are examples to follow,not parents that are so busy whoring their selves off that a nanny can just handle. Kate or Jon either one deserve to have anything especially these children they are not even close to being parents and don't have faintest clue what the job entails. They are nothing but trailer white trash that will do what ever they have to for money.
    There are alot of good people out there that want children and can't have any. Need to find these people and give these kids a chance.

Kate and Jon would fair well with some prison time for waht they have done.

October 1, 2009 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  20. LBW

That many children will always be an amazement and joy to people that want to watch them grow. Every time I see Kate and the kids I see beautifully groomed and happy children. It pretty much takes a drill sergeant to keep that many kids in line. She does it with class and aplomb. She said after the split that it was about making a paycheck. She wouldn't make enough as a nurse to raise them and I just don't see what Jon is going to be able to offer now. I am glad that she will continue the show and I hope for her a happy life.

October 1, 2009 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  21. Frammy

Totally amazing this has become. I used to love watching the show but, quit when they "quit" especially after the lie of renewing their vows. Who wants to watch a single mom in a big house, going on nice vacations (free) with her kids. No thanks. And, hasn't anybody wondered where Kates family is? I always wondered about the grandparents and now you don't even hear about her brother anymore. Jon is sewing oats sure but, he really needs to get better advisors. Believe me the kids will survive because they will be able to afford to survive. I wonder though..do they wonder if it was all worth what it cost them?

October 1, 2009 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  22. bart barth

Get rid of the show Let Kate get back to raising a family now that she is a single woman. Let Jon do what ever he wants to do when he is not with the children and let Kate spend most of her time with the children like most mothers do ( single or not). Its time she realize it isnt all fun and games when being a mother (or father).

October 1, 2009 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  23. Michelle

I have know heard that Jon will not allw TLC to film in the house, he has said if they try to go on his property he will call the police and have them all arrested.
    He is just being a baby, poor jon whats funny is you never ever see him with the kids.

October 1, 2009 at 9:21 am | Report abuse |
  24. Cathy

Kate has been the same all along......with her lets say "directivness" towards Jon. You never saw the real Jon until their split (but I'm sure Kate saw it daily). At first I truly enjoyed this show. It was pretty amazing how they adjusted to having 8 kids......and she seemed so organized and demaned to have things organized......and I can't say I blame her. If you could earn $50-$75,000 a week.......which can come in pretty handy with all those kids wouldn't you want to continue on? Their marriage would probably have been in trouble with or without the show......Jon is just too immature. As for Kate keeping him from his family.. That's only because he allowed that to happen (if it's a true fact). No one, husband or whoever would ever keep me from my family so he should have stepped up to the plate....but he allowed that to happen (if it's true). I'm sorry Jon......you were good with your kids I will give you that but the way you speak of their mother is pretty low......pretty low. If the two of you don't agree on many things (which I experienced with my 1st marriage) we still had that bond of having a child together and we were never disrespectful to each other and never spoke against each other. I have not heard Kate speak so horribly of you as you have about her........to the world no doubt. I say Kate......take the series, continue with your book writings and enjoy your children and your life. I wish you the best and I wish Jon would move on...........

October 1, 2009 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  25. cr

Was Kate Gosselin really an"Octomom" all along...only a high test version? Its now very hard not to see them both as parents who were using their childrens' heads all along as stepping stones to their own celebrity.

October 1, 2009 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  26. Brenda Geran

The article above is right on. Kate does have a good PR team and as we all know money and connections is what you need to make it on TV. TLC does not want to loose their money ticket. Their family has completely come apart at the seams. My feelings are - the family should come first. Ok, you are divorced. Sell that million dollar home, each buy a "nice" home, invest what money you have left for the kids future, get a job (both Kate & Jon) and move on, WITHOUT the cameras. They are not fooling anyone by saying the house is for the kids. Kids don't care where they live as long as they are loved, feed, warm and safe. The "family" emotional connection cannot be there for either parent if the kids are always with babysitters unless the cameras are rolling. Let's face it, we all take our kids to the grocery and to run errands without sitters and cameras and survive. Kids also need to stay at Dad's home as well as Mom's home. They don't need to be pinned up with just each other on that property all the time and expected to do whatever each parent wants when they have a turn just to outdo the other parents with activities. Let the kids play, pretend, be normal little kids that play in the dirt sometimes.

October 1, 2009 at 8:20 am | Report abuse |
  27. Sandy Dunlap

Did Jon and Kate have real jobs before this show? How in the world could they afford to have all those children if they didn't? I say CANCEL the show, let them get on with the real way a single parent has to live!!! Stretching money from paycheck to paycheck, being to tired to do anything but the basics. They have nannies, probably housekeepers, probably cooks or maids. Get with the real life, you wanted all those kids so take care of them YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have actually never watched the show, but I am sick of hearing about them. Get with the real life! Cancel the show!

October 1, 2009 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  28. stacey

I wish they had fired kate. I know Jon is not a role model right now, but i would have jumped a bridge if I had to live with Kate.

Good Luck Kate as your kids will all "despise you" just as Jon does.

October 1, 2009 at 3:02 am | Report abuse |
  29. Roni

Enough of the Gosselins!!!!!!!!!!! Surely there are more important things to report on.

October 1, 2009 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  30. Martha

I am so tried of reading the horrible comments about Kate. What about Jon?? Why can't he keep a job?? The last job Jon had he was fired from. You can say what you want about Kate, but at least she has some get up and go. The only thing Jon really wants to do is relive his youth. Play around and do nothing, Jon!!! This marriage crumbled before our eyes, but Jon is as much to belame for it as Kate if not more so. I think there is a reason that Kate talked the way she did to Jon and there was times when Jon wasn't very nice to Kate either. Did you all forget that???

Whatever, happens I wish Kate and the children all the best,.

October 1, 2009 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  31. Rebecca

Kate dose not know what a single mother is she has nannies. When you watch the early shows you will see that she treated Jon like a peice of crap. What man would want to stay with a woman like that, i would run too. That is what greed dose to you makes you put the people that you love on the back burner. She is also a control freak she should be ashamed at what you is putting her children through for her own greed. I was a single mom and I didnt want people to feel sorry for me I held my head high and did what i was supposed to do and had a normal job with no child support. My moto is what comes around goes around and her day will come when her children get older and see this show and see how selfish their mother really is.

September 30, 2009 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  32. kathie

she couldn't go back to being a nurse, it wouldn't pay enough for a babysitter. plus she wants to raise her kids not She bossed him around because he never would have done anything if she didn't. I realize that she can be overly, but taking care of 8 children.

September 30, 2009 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Manda

Hopefully the new renamed show will be axed. I was a single parent with 2 jobs. I never had freebies and sympathy from masses of ignorant people. I had to work really hard to provide for my kids. If this show would of been on back then, I would of boycotted it then too. She's a horrible example of a single parent. Kate doesn't realize that there's no free in life. There's a price to pay for everything. With so much unemployment in this country, it makes me sick to try to understand why people would want to watch a show like this. There's so many needy families with kids out there whose parents can't find work and have to rely on welfare. Kate has so much and it's never enough for her. Disgusting.

September 30, 2009 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Becky

Kate ,all along has wanted fame and spotlight. She's a legend ONLY in her own mind..C'mon folks, she's not that interesting nor special.Remember when Jon originally took her shopping and tried to get her to dress better? You don't have to have $, to look good.She didn't have a clue...Don't you feel duped knowing their marriage was over, yet they went ahead with all the hoopla Hawaii vows renewal etc..What a crock! Who wouldn't look like a good parent if someone else was footing all the bills for all the "fun" stuff the kids do. We see only what they want us to see..What about the other 6 days when no cameras are on them. Kate isn't interested in just being a Mom;. ..It's all about attention for her.. As for trying to support her kids,believe me, these are not poor people now.... I'm thru watching..As for Jon, she doesn't want him, so leave him alone. Who cares who he dates as long as he is good to his kids. It's no-one's business.. Take your holier than thou attitudes and stick it.

September 30, 2009 at 7:25 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Robin

Her is what pisses me off...she says she has to continue working to support her children.............she is a nurse, go back to nursing!
    Nursing does not pay enough..she will say, What would you of done had this show never come along...then it would of HAD to be enough.
    How would we pay for 8 kids to go to college? Get school loans...like everyone else does...and I got news for you...no matter how big your kids college fun, if by the age 18 they are screwed up it does not matter how much money you have, they will either flunk out, quit, or never even attempt college!

September 30, 2009 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Whatever

Honestly I just hope that "Kate Plus 8" will just get cancelled, soon and fast. Enough is enough. Why Kate feels it necessary to continue on with this show is beyond me (isn't this woman worth millions of dollars now? why the hell is she worrying about having a paycheck when she has enough money to never work a day again AND put her kids through college?). The way that they (TLC) are making her out to be some single mother that other single moms can look up to is just atrocious. How many single mothers can honestly really relate to this woman and her million dollar home and freebies? This is definitely going to be the end of the whole show, because seriously, at some point it really just has to stop, and Kate needs to move on! She can have a talk show for all i care, at least then she won't be using her children to keep cashing in dough that she really doesn't desperately need as much as she acts like she does, in comparison to the majority of us who actually struggle to make ends meet. Sadly though, Kate, regardless of how much she claims that she "does it for the kids" (if i hear her or Jon use that phrase anymore i'm just going to puke), it is really all about her and her selfish obsession with fame and money.

September 30, 2009 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Jennifer

I suspect that Jon is putting on the brakes because he just lost his paycheck – now he has to figure out how much more he can ask for from Kate. Never mind that it's ultimately coming out of his kid's pockets.

September 30, 2009 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |