September 29th, 2009
11:28 AM ET
Here's what's happening in the world of entertainment today:
- Variety reports that presales for "Michael Jackson: This Is It," the upcoming documentary, are breaking records. The movie, set for release on October 27, accounted for 80 percent of all online ticket sales within the first 24 hours that tickets were made available, and it's selling out in several countries around the world.
- The new fall season appears to be a success so far, according to The Hollywood Reporter, especially with new series. So far, "The Jay Leno Show," "The Cleveland Show," "NCIS: Los Angeles," "Cougar Town," "Modern Family," and "FlashForward" are all doing better than last year's #1 new show at this point.
- When "Saturday Night Live's" Darrell Hammond appeared on "SNL Weekend Update Thursday" two weeks ago, there was confusion as to whether the cast member, most famous for playing Bill Clinton and Sean Connery, was still on the show (after what appeared to be his final episode back in May). New York Times may have cleared it up, hearing from a source that he is no longer a regular but may occasionally appear as needed. Hammond, who was not in the show's opening credits this past week, was on the show longer than any other cast member in history.
- Leonardo DiCaprio is set to star in "The Deep Blue Goodbye," based on the mystery novel of the same name, according to The Hollywood Reporter. DiCaprio's character will be a "beach bum," who runs into danger while attempting to recover property for clients in Florida.
- The Hollywood Reporter asks, "For a million dollars, can you unspool a roll of toilet paper with your body in 60 seconds?" NBC's upcoming new game show "Perfect 10," will have challenges similar to that, involving household chores.
- On DVD today: “Monsters vs. Aliens” starring the voice of Reese Witherspoon, “The Wizard of Oz: Ultimate Collector’s Edition Blu-Ray” for the 70th anniversary, “Away We Go,” starring John Krasinski, Christian Slater in “Lies and Illusions,” the animated direct-to-DVD “Superman/Batman: Public Enemies,” “How I Met Your Mother: The Legendary Season Four,” “The Unit: The Final Season” and “Life on Mars: The Complete Series.”
Our daily cheat-sheet for breaking celebrity news, Hollywood buzz and your pop-culture obsessions.