September 28th, 2009

True Blood EXCLUSIVE for Marquee Blog readers!

Happy Monday Marquee Blog readers–I've got a treat for you!  Remember my blog posting about last week's HBO EMMY Awards after party? Well, while I was there I caught up with all of your favorite True Blood stars and told them about their devoted Marquee Blog followers. When they heard how excited all of you guys are about the show and about how much you have been reading and commenting about it, they wanted to send you some exclusive video messages– take a look:

Be sure to check back first thing tomorrow for another True Blood Marquee Blog exclusive– Stephen Moyer sent along an exclusive tidbit about the new season for all of his Marquee Blog fans!

1. Bailey

THIS GOES OUT TO MONICA!!

TrueBlood was in no way shape or form inspired by Twilight. The first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series, Dead Until Dark was written in 2001. Twilight was written in 2006!!!! So if anything, Twilight should be thanking Charlaine Harris for writting such an amazing set of stories. Twilight is just a childs verson of a vampire world with higly religious back tones, and a pathic whiney female lead who is enough to turn you off the series completely. Nextime find somethign valid to complain about!

September 29, 2009 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Lori Willianms

This show is based on the Sookie Stackhouse novels – not an idea from Twlight. Grab the books this fall for a great read! The books are somewhat different than the show.

September 29, 2009 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. Callysto

REPLY @ POSTER NAMED MONICA

Get your facts straight please. True Blood is based off the Southern Vampire Tales which was furst published in 2001. Twilight was not published until 2005.

True Blood has no ethical obligation to give a nod to Stephanie Meyer because it was written BEFORE twilight.

Check your twilight otakuism at the door please.

September 29, 2009 at 9:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jamie

This show is the most wonderful show on tv right now. I am sad that there is nothing to watch on Sunday evenings now. :( Anyway, I have read every book in this series, and while I love the books I appreciate the fact that there are still some surprises with the tv series. I love all the characters and feel they are very well developed and interesting. I'm ready for Sookie to get with Eric though...add some drama!!! Not to mention the fact that Eric is extremely handsome...wow. Love that Skarsgard fella!!!!!!

September 29, 2009 at 9:13 am | Report abuse |
  5. Will

MONICA, Maybe you should watch something before knocking it. I'm willing to bet you've never seen True Blood. True Blood is based off The Southern Vampire Mysteries by Charlaine Harris written in 2001. The show has nothing at all to do with high school, and Bill has no desire to kill Sookie. Twilight is for children, True Blood is for adults.

September 29, 2009 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  6. hef311

Regarding the comment above comparing True Blood to Twilight...have you even read the Sookie Stackhouse books? They are NOTHING like the Twilight series. The only similarity is that a human and vampire fall in love–that is IT.

September 29, 2009 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. Kevin

RE: Monica

You're aware that True Blood is based on a book series that's been around longer than Twilight right? There were four books published in the Sookie Stackhouse series before Twilight hit store shelves. Who's copying who?

September 29, 2009 at 7:26 am | Report abuse |
  8. Richard

MONICA, you need to get your facts straight before posting such idiotic blather. Charlaine Harris wrote the first Sookie Stackhouse book in 2001. HBO has stated time and again that those books were the inspiration for TRUE BLOOD. Stephanie Meyer is quoted as saying the idea for Twilight came to her in a dream in 2003. Check the dates honey, Harris' idea was on paper 2 years before Twilight. Maybe Meyer should be thanking Charlaine instead....
    Next you will be telling us Ted Bundy is the inspiration for Dexter instead of the Jeff Lindsay novels......

September 29, 2009 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  9. Natalie

I love this show... so addicting! I can understand the Hype with this show but Twilight?

September 29, 2009 at 7:03 am | Report abuse |
  10. Seri

Monica... Twilight is not original either, that story is as old as vampires themselves. Numerous authors have written Vampire/human love novels. For instance, the Laurel K Hamilton series was first published in 1993, it spans 16 some odd books now, it has many of the same themes including mainstreaming. Granted, the Hamilton books are a tad erotic, thats probably why the media didnt latch onto it ;) Twilight just seems to have been the catalist to get all the sheep baying at the same ideas.

September 29, 2009 at 5:30 am | Report abuse |
  11. Adrian

Correction Twilight was published in 2005.

September 29, 2009 at 4:13 am | Report abuse |
  12. Adrian

Monica, True Blood is not based on the books by Stephanie Meyer, it is based on the The Southern Vampire Mysteries series of novels by Charlaine Harris. The first which was published in 2001. Stephanie Meyer didnt publish her first book till 2003.

September 29, 2009 at 4:11 am | Report abuse |
  13. mimi

Ah, True Blood, how I will miss thee (until next year). This season was awesome!. I loved all the characters: Bill, Sookie, and especially Eric, who is utterly wicked and the bomb. Eric deceiving Sookie ("a falsehood") to suck out the silver was so sneaky but I loved it! I was thrilled to see Lafayette again (loved him in the first season, and he didn't disappoint again) and I was glad to see Sam given more character. Sam's "Spite me, m-– f-–" had me rolling on the floor. Jason and Andy as the dynamic duo in the final episodes were just hilarious! Maryann was scary crazy. Was sorry to see Godric die. Okay, I have to stop here. But I have to end with a quote from the sly one:

" . . . And Pam, those were great pumps . . ."

Can't wait for season three!!!!!!

September 29, 2009 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
  14. Don

LOL @ Monica!!! You should really know what you're talking about before putting your foot in your mouth. First off, True Blood is NOT about a high school vampire, second, vampires falling in love with humans is one of the OLDEST story lines out there, thirdly, Meyer can't write her way out of a paper bag, so if you think Twilight is good reading then hon I hate to be the one to tell you but you really must expand your reading list. And lastly, vampires don't sparkle in the sun, they BURN and DIE, so all Meyer has done is make a farce out of vampire fiction and turn her story into a laughing stock with anyone who's beyond a 5th grade reading level.

September 29, 2009 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Enrique

Cheek stains are great bsuecae they last a lot longer than regular powder blush, which means less touch-ups during the day. It's also great bsuecae with colder weather comes dry skin and cheek stains help hold the moisture in, giving you softer skin!

April 24, 2012 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. Gloria

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

September 29, 2009 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
  16. Gloria

Love me some True Blood. Cant' wait until next season. I just love it

September 29, 2009 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
  17. Jojo

Monica... You need to check out the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris. They are a great read and I believe they have been out longer then the Twillight books.

Love me soem TRUEBLOOD!!

September 29, 2009 at 2:24 am | Report abuse |
  18. A Stoffer

@Monica : What both authors should be doing is thanking White Wolf, a game book publishing company that compiled multiple mythos into their World of Darkness line, for not giving either of them a lawsuit back when they were first publishing. Vampire :The Masqurade and the subsequent supporting materials laid out the foundations for the True Blood, Underworld and Glittergoth...I mean, Twilight, franchises. The socio-politcal structure of the vampires in True Blood, for example, is almost a direct lift from the original material White Wolf published almost twenty years ago. I'm a big fan of the show because of the flavor the author gave to the material, but the concept is certainly not original.

September 29, 2009 at 2:08 am | Report abuse |
  19. Tonya Dochstader

If I am not mistaken, I do believe the series of books that came ( The Sookie Stackhouse stories) came out long before the Twillight Series came out. Don't get me wrong, I love Twillight and the books that followed. But the Stackhouse stories are not really like them except that a vampire falls for a human girl. On True Blood the vampires live among the humans openly, in Twillight they still hide, etc., etc..... I really enjoyed Stephanie Myers writing in Twillight, but True Blood is in a league all its own. Twillight is strictly a love story in my opinion and True Blood is that and so much more intriguing. Just my humble opinion and about 2 million other peoples I am sure.... HA HA

September 29, 2009 at 1:51 am | Report abuse |
  20. Nicky Bentley

I love true blood. I wish HBO can give us more than 12 episodes.
    I know an hour show on HBO we get exactly an hour where an hour show on network we get appx 45 minutes.
    HBO should give us 15 episodes to make it equal to network show.
    OK, so I just can't get enough of this show.

September 29, 2009 at 1:26 am | Report abuse |
  21. Lea

Uh Monica – read a book already! True Blood is based on the Sookie Stackhouse series written by Charlaine Harris. And she's been writing this series for over eight years. Love the show and like the fact that it loosely follows the books, but has changes and surprises all it's own.

September 29, 2009 at 1:24 am | Report abuse |
  22. Carrie

This comment is for the person named Monica above – you CLEARLY do not realize that True Blood is based on the novels 'The Southern Vampire Mysteries' by Charlaine Harris. The first book was published in 2001, which is four years BEFORE Stephanie Meyer's first book was published. Please do some research before spouting some inane comments about how True Blood copies Twilight!

September 29, 2009 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  23. Eric

Hey Monica, you're comment is very ignorant. True Blood is based on the The Sookie Stackhouse Novels / Chronicles. The first one came out in 2001. I believe Twilight came out in 2005. Oh yeah, little Twilight fan girl put in her place.

September 29, 2009 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  24. M

This is a post towards Monica, and her comment regarding how True Blood should thank Twilight and Meyer. No, True Blood shouldn't. Harris, the original creator of the Southern Vampire Chronicles, had her books published before Twilight, or any of the Meyer books, for that matter. Harris first published in 2001, and Meyer first published in 2005. Not only that, but Harris follows far more traditional notions of supernatural creatures, in comparison to Meyer and her idea of sparkling vampires. And if you're talking originality, then neither Harris or Meyer has any, for that matter. The idea of vampires has been around long before either of them wrote any books.

September 28, 2009 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Kurt

Monica, Stephanie Meyer should be thanking Joss Whedon, who came up with same basic story line back in the early nineties. There are no completely original ideas, just how you put them together.

September 28, 2009 at 11:41 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Nichole

I Love True Blood!! – I can't get enough of this sick show! The character development is awesome!

September 28, 2009 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Megan

Should not be thanking Stephanie Meyer for the show becuase Charlain Harris wrote the books before twilight was ever out... also in you rdown time from the show i would suggest the books.. 100% better then the show...

September 28, 2009 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Kim Calkins

It was my boss who got me hooked onto True Blood. I have read all the books to date and finally got caught up on the season 1 and 2! Love the series and can't wait for season 3!

September 28, 2009 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Kevin

Monica,

Actually, True Blood has nothing to do with Twilight – it is based on the Southern Vampire Mystery books by Charlaine Harris – the first of which came out four full years before Twilight was published,

September 28, 2009 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Bridget

True Blood owes nothing to the Twilight series. The show is based on The Southern Vampire Mysteries series by Charlaine Harris. The first book in that series was published in 2001, whereas Stephenie Meyer's first book was published in 2005. If any vampire series is unoriginal, it is Meyer's. The subgenre of Vampire fiction has been a strong one for many years. I will allow that the apparent mass appeal of Meyer's work has brought the genre more attention. But please. There are way better novels than Meyer's in the genre. The Sookie Stackhouse novels are just one example.

September 28, 2009 at 10:12 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Becky

This reply is for Monica who stated that they should thank the writer of Twilight for giving them the idea.. The Sookie Stackhouse Novels were out WAY before Twilight and the show and books are NOTHING like the Twilight series, which I have also read. And in True Blood.. Sookie is 25 years old and is NOT in High School. The Skookie Stackhouse books started in 2001, and Twilight in 2005.. get your facts straight!

September 28, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Sharon

Why should True Blood be thanking Stephanie Meyer?!! Harris' first Sookie Stackhouse novel came out in 2001. That's waaay before any of Meyer's and the Twilight movie came out. Besides, these are two very different narratives and I don't think the complicated character of Sookie Stackhouse should be compared to Bella.

Sigh. I can't wait for season 3. Even Anne Rice's Claudia would have said: I WANT SOME MORE!

September 28, 2009 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Tracey

In response to Monica's comment, the True Blood series is based on a series of novels by Charlane Harris, who was writing stories long before Twilight came out. Perhaps the popularity of the show and books owe something to the popularity of Twilight, but they are not a copy of the Twilight series in any way.

September 28, 2009 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Lanie

Um....Monica...True Blood should not be thanking Twilight...should be the other way around. But it's interesting that you noticed some of the similarities in the storylines. But Sookie and Bill don't exactly go to High School together.

However, the first Sookie Stackhouse novel was written several years before Stephanie Meyer wrote Twilight. So, by your logic, maybe Twilight fans should be thanking Charlaine Harris.

I happen to like them both.

September 28, 2009 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Amy

Dear Monica
    True Blood is "based" on Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire Series, which came out in 2001. Four years before Meyer published Twilight. So if anyone is "unoriginal" it was Meyer. True Blood does owe some of its success to the Twilight series, as it went a long way toward making vampires popular again. However, it owes more of its success to Charlaine Harris. I only wish they'd show their gratitude by staying true to her works.

September 28, 2009 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  36. bree

WOW! Twilight really? I think not. I guess we should all be thanking Ann Rice, or better yet Cherlaine Harris since the Sookie Stackhouse series was written before Twilight. I'm just happy for a vampire story for grown folks.

September 28, 2009 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Catherine

the cast of true blood is amazingly talented. i can't get enough of this show!!!

September 28, 2009 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Mary

As long as they get rid of the moronic Tara character. That character (and her mother) were not featured in the books and the introduction of that little soap opera seriously degraded the show this year. Get back to the original premise, Sookie Stackhouse, and knock off the ancillary foolishness.

September 28, 2009 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Nina

New Season doesn't start till June 2010 :(

September 28, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  40. mike

That show is a SUPERNOVA!

September 28, 2009 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Michele

A co-worker turned me on to True Blood and ever since, I have been addicted to it. What a great ensemble and cast, I love them all, Tara and Jason are my faves! Please don't make us wait too long, a girls gotta have her Fix:-)!

September 28, 2009 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Michael

I am a MJOR TRUE BLOOD FAN. This season did not disappoint! I was hooked from beginning to end – Anna Paquin is an absolute babe! (Awww Sookie Sookie!)

I will now go into my coffin until season 3 starts....

PS – is it now customary for them to kill a black person at the end of each season? LOL!

September 28, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Jessie

I absolutely love True Blood. I'm trying to get my fix with other vampire shows, but it's not quite the same. I look forward to seeing a lot more of Alexander Skarsgard!

September 28, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  44. MONICA

What True Blood should really be doing is thanking Stephanie Meyer, for writing The Twilight Series and giving them the idea in the first place! Its funny, how the series came out right after Twilight and is almost the same storyline... Vampire falls in love with human girl, they go to high school together and he battles with the idea of killing her or not... I wish people would at least try to be original.

September 28, 2009 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse |
  45. PEGGY SMITH

LOVE THIS SHOW, NEVER BORING. LOVE THE MUSIC ALSO. DON'T MAKE US WAIT TOO LONG FOR THE NEXT SHOW.

September 28, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  46. vbabe

Wow..the guy who plays Bill is sooo handsome in that tux!!

September 28, 2009 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Pam Jasper

This show is great. It is well written, well acted and I look forward to season 3.

September 28, 2009 at 2:45 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Daywalker54

We are big True Blood fans too. We recently met and chatted with John Billingsley and his wife at a SciFi/Fantasy convention in Atlanta (DragonCon) – what an incredibly nice couple. We are anxiously awaiting the new season!!!!

September 28, 2009 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  49. pam simpson

We are in for a wait, they won't be back till June 2010!

September 28, 2009 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Bronze

HBO makes you wait too long for all their shows.

September 28, 2009 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Tasha

True Blood is the best show on HBO, can't get enough of Bill.. hurry back babe!

September 28, 2009 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Tracey

I love TrueBlood and hope they don't make us wait for tooooo long ~

September 28, 2009 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |