September 24th, 2009

Most provocative celebrity of the week

Hi there Marquee blog readers!

I wanted to let you all know about something brand new that we are going to be doing on Showbiz Tonight. Each Friday on the show, we’re going to name the most provocative celebrity of the week- and we want to hear from you! Here is your chance to weigh in. Beginning each Thursday, tell us who you think it should be. Who was totally outrageous? Who did something so controversial it makes your head spin? Email us, write to us on Facebook or call Showbiz On Call: 888-SBT-BUZZ.

We can’t wait to hear from all of you!

Next entry »
  1. Georgia Girl

Make that "gang" without the "e".

September 30, 2009 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Georgia Girl

I completely believe her. Most survivors don't tell. Silence is the enemy. Mackenzie's impressionable years revolved around alcohol and drugs ... an ideal situation for rape/incest. I wish I could personally thank her for writing her story. So, for you naysayers, uncover those delicate ears and listen to reality! And when you're finished, google "fraternity gange rape 1962" - another incredulous story.

September 30, 2009 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. A Survivor

For those of you who want to sweep childhood sexual abuse under the carpet, get over it.

One in four girls and one in six boys are sexually abused before the age of 16. This is not something that should be handled "quietly and privately." Victims of childhood abuse are often accused of "making it up," of being delusional, of lying. I know, my family is still denying my experiences.

Until the extent of this kind of abuse is exposed, millions of children will continue to be violated by the deviants in their lives.

September 26, 2009 at 9:38 am | Report abuse |
  4. Rosie from Toronto

If it is true, it is unfortunate, however, why wait until now when your Father is not here to defend himself. I don't think this is fair.

September 26, 2009 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. Bryan

I think the most provocative celebrity is the discusting Phillips with her discriptions of being comfortable having sex with her dad. Comming out to make a public statement about that is not a normal thing to do. Waking up next to your father with your pants around your ankles is something that she should of told authorities a long time ago and on top of it all she was married! What a discusting piece of pure human White Trash Vomit.

September 25, 2009 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Royalann

Yes i beieve her and i bought her book today. Won't be easy to read it either. It happened to me too...i am 48 and i still can't sleep without the lights on. I just wish i was famous and could write a book about it and at least get SOMETHING for all i went through. Unfortunately i'm not famous and nobody would buy the book. I pray for you Mac....i'm rooting for you to make it through this. Unfortunately abuse lasts a lifetime....

September 25, 2009 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ESH

No matter what you think if MacKenzie, her father John was a horrible man. He exposed her to a lot more that just incest. To start his child off doing drugs at 10 , she never had a chance. To expose her to the lifestyle of selfish, old rock stars, she never had a chance to experience a normal family and boundaries. It's no wonder she struggles constantly with staying sober and clean – she doesn't know any other way to live. I am not sure she should be handling her deamons in this way, but by definition, she certainly has provoked a lot of responses here. No one else has even been mentioned...

September 25, 2009 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  8. carmen luisa

Mackenzie Phillips, she is probably using this as a publicity stunt, I mean why come up with something like this now, she has a book coming out, and we should be used to this all celebreties do this type of thing when they are out of the public eye and want to be back.
    I turn the channel everytime they talk about this subject is disturbing.
    I feel bad because i would never be able to look at her the same ever again. What people do for attention.

September 25, 2009 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |
  9. Brenda

You get to choose – read it or don't, listen or don't. You surely don't have to listen to details – unless you are unconscious or tied down or something we don't want details about either. Work with anyone who's been in a twisted relationship – legal or otherwise and there are too many emotions to even describe. She paid for 30 years of her life in trying to make it "not real". Clean and sober she tries to insure she stays that way or help another. Maybe you should just not turn a page.

September 25, 2009 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. jazzybema

MacKenzie Phillips hands down and i have my doubts about whether this is true or a publicity stunt for her book. Why wait until the accused is no longer around to defend himself and why wait this long?

September 25, 2009 at 7:40 am | Report abuse |
  11. Linda

I find this whole thing very hard to believe. Think she's making it up to sell her book. Oprah should have passed on this one!

September 25, 2009 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  12. Les Whiteley

Believe her. If you watch the Oprah interview, you would know she wasn't lying. And she said she's bring this up to make more people aware of incest. I know she said the sex finally became consensual. No way. The first time was rape and every time after it was rape. Period. Just as Garrido was filth for what he did to Jaycee, so is any man who rapes his daughter, whether she is 11 years old or 19 years old. I respect Mackenzie Phillips for writing her book. And I do hope it helps other victims of sexual abuse at the hands of a parent.

September 25, 2009 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  13. Robert

I tend to agree with T.K and Sam. It seems to me this may be in large part a publicity stunt by a has been actress to sell a book.
    It:s always a shame when people come out with this stuff after the alleged perpetrator is dead and has no chance to defend themself.

September 25, 2009 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  14. jules

No one said she was married to Eddie Van Halen–someone pointed out that she and Bertinelli were on a TV show together.

That said, I'm with that person who said wth? Most provocative celebrity? We have reached new lows. Are we really going to give some overpaid, drugged out, hyperexed celebrity more press and reward their selfish behavior? Why do we care about these people? All they care about is themselves. Then they have babies, drug them up, and have sex with them. This is NOT NORMAL, and NOT OK.

September 25, 2009 at 12:59 am | Report abuse |
  15. Tim

MacKenzie Phillips, hands down. The most lurid celebrity story...ever?

September 25, 2009 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  16. KylieKoyote

Definitely Mackenzie Phillips is at the top of the list this week. She IS a celebrity and a public persona – maybe on the fringe at this point, but nonetheless – it's the life she has known and she lives out loud. She obviously has had a painful life and I don't doubt her story – I think it's sad and tragic. I think she needs compassion and well wishes for trying to put the pieces of herself back together – she's shattered. Hopefully, she has more people who love her than she knows. It is an unfortunate fact that a great number of girls/women are molested and/or sexually assaulted in their lives. Incest is real, now there's a famous face on it.

September 24, 2009 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  17. mbrooks

I grew up watching whatever show she was on...didn't really like her much...forgot about her. She showed up again a few years ago doing something...yawn...forgot about her again. Now she shows up with this...to sell some books...yawn. Get a life. Quit trying to live off of the fame you never really had. Okay...yawn...forgot about you...again.

Please don't misunderstand my cold reaction to a horrific incident that happened in her life. No one should ever be subject to that. But there are people that can help her with her trauma and healing. She doesn't need to reveal it in a book...to sell books.

September 24, 2009 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Catfish with hush puppies & fries~

No one group of people has a lock on deviant behavior. Someone will come up with an excuse for why this has happened. . .perhaps it will be labeled as some kind of 'disease' and as such, no one will be to blame.

If this is true (and why in the world would someone come out with something this horrible if it was not true?), then her father was just that. . . . .. . .a father, but certainly not a daddy. Any FOOL can father a child, but it takes a MAN to be a husband and a daddy.

Many years ago I made a choice to never use drugs or alcohol. I saw my own father destroyed by alcohol (it was his choice to start drinking; no one forced him to).

People can say that you can't have a good time without drugs or alcohol. I would beg to differ.

What I don't understand is why Ms. Phillips (after she was initially raped by her father) allowed this deviant behavior to continue.

May God help all of us if this type of behavior is considered by anyone to be normal. America (in my opinion) is (to quote Robert Bork) "slouching toward Gomorrah".

It appears however, that we have already reached it!

September 24, 2009 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse |
  19. english teacher

Why are people so upset that Mackenzie tells her truth? This kind of public confession might not make people numbly comfortable like most of the entertainment we passively ingest every day, but it's probably (refreshingly) honest–considering the negative backlash she's risking (and receiving). Incest has been a part of every society and culture on the earth since man stood upright to walk. Just because something is hidden doesn't mean it isn't there. Pull all the trash out of the dark closets. Clean house. People are just too eager to be told lies by everyone–their partners (no, I'd never cheat on you, I only paid a few dollars for that dress), their children (no, I would never take drugs or sleep around), their colleagues at work (you're too valuable to get fired), their friends (you're not fat and that guy is a loser for not loving you), and especially politicians (I did not take that lobbyist's money or sleep with her and it did not influence my vote). Stop judging someone brave enough to speak out and possibly shake-up the dark family secrets of all the incest victims suffering their secrets in silence. Take a look around you and find out who is lying to you the most–you may discover it's yourself.

September 24, 2009 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jimmy

Never could decide whether it was amusing or pathetic that "Showbiz Tonight" only recently learned the existence of the word "provocative," then proceeded to use it in every sentence. It was certainly just a matter of time before they chiseled it onto an award. It's going to be a tight race now between "provocative" & "socialist" as to the word that's used most & understood least by stunningly uneducated people.

September 24, 2009 at 9:56 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Knows

Yes, Mackenzie is telling the truth.

I guessed her "secret" just from the promos.

It happens, and no one can believe it because abusers are manipulators. It's also common for such truths to come out AFTER the abuser dies.

Wake up, America.

September 24, 2009 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Sandy

Mackenzie Phillips hidden secret takes the cake for me. Not only did she reveal that she was a victim of incest, but that it was a consentual relationship. That took a lot of guts......I wish her well.

September 24, 2009 at 9:50 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Omeghan

as mush as I hate to give her a second more of attention ....Id say Mackenzie phillips. I beleive its all a pack of lies to sell books and ... *shrugs* Shes prolly broke.
    and Cant live off the residuals that Cogeo etc pays for the old shows.
    I m calling cable & ask that the programme be removed.

Her dad was a well respected member of the community in Southern Ontario outside of Toronto, til his death.... I think shes lyin ..

She couldnt even look Oprah in the eye.... after reading a page from her "book".

Her story is OLD already .....

September 24, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  24. TMC

Sam: learn to read someones WHOLE opinion/statement correctly, the previous person did state that it WAS Bertinelli that married Van Halen...not Mac phillips. For those posting the "Who Cares" and blah, blah, blahs...obviously you care enough to waste your time posting something

September 24, 2009 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  25. LJ

Mackenzie Phillips should win hands down this week!! I believe what she said about her dad I just wonder why she had to go about it this way. Also, I have a hard time believing she is clean. As soon as she makes some money off of this book I bet she goes right back to using again. From what I have read she was forced to go to rehab and as a recovering addict I know unless you really want to make a change you can't be forced into it. Look at Lindsey L!!

September 24, 2009 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  26. yen

Is there any way to corroborate this story? The accused is dead.

September 24, 2009 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  27. cadoua

ZZZZZzzzzzz.....

September 24, 2009 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  28. mely

Mackenzie Phillips- I feel bad for her. She made some bad decisions for herself but now it starts to make sense. Being subjected to that kind of mind f**k leads to the kind of self hatred that leads to drug abuse. I loved One Day at a Time and enjoyed her work on it because in part it reminded me so much of my own family. My absent hippie dad never crossed that line with me, but I sure saw a lot of stoned and wacked behavior, and children are not equipped to tell grown ups NO! THAT IS NOT OKAY!!! Men prey on young women and make them feel "special"- classic abuser behavior. Mackenzie Phillips will save lives by telling her story. Stop blaming the victim people and wake up!!!

September 24, 2009 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Patty

I think Mackenzie is still on drugs and shame on Oprah for this garbage. I guess Oprah just wants to get ratings. If Mac did in fact have an incestuous relationship with her father, get help Mac. Just another money grab me thinks. She must be broke and if not why air this crap. Her father can't defend himself.
    If it's true why bring it out all these years later and if she thinks she is helping others shes kidding herself. Sadly this horror goes on all the time.

September 24, 2009 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  30. sam

someone wrote that mackenzie was married to Eddie Van halen...That person's puffin the Chiba. It was valerie bertinelli that married Eddie! SO NOPE TO DOPE AND UGH TO DRUGS!!!

September 24, 2009 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
  31. barbara

Mackenzie Phillips...........believe her, these things happen more than people realize.......I was 30 before I talked to someone about the sexual abuse I experienced by my grandfather.......most of my family still doesn't know.

September 24, 2009 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  32. horrified

Mackenzie Phillips.

I dont' think she's lying because she's still trying to defend her dads actions. She said that the was sick and did the best he could. If she was going to tell such a disgraceful lie, why defend him while doing it? Also, she admitted that although it started as rape she became a willing participant. No wonder she's so screwed up. I feel for her.

September 24, 2009 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  33. ivehadenough

America ... Wake the f^%$ up!!!! Most Provocative CELEBRITY????

Why don't you take intrest in the average American who does some real good in their community??? Why not focus on some real good instead of your la la land fantasies of all your rich and famous f^%$ ups!!!!!!

September 24, 2009 at 7:35 pm | Report abuse |
  34. arcticlady

Yes, Obviously Mackenzie Phillips.

It wasn't her mom who didn't believe her, but her dad's 3rd wife. That's a natural reaction. No woman wants to believe that she could fall in love with and marry a man who is that depraved.

Mackenzie said she thought she can't be the only one that this has happened to, and I'll bet she's right. I'm sure it's not common, but I'll bet she's right about not being the only one. Her story might be just the catalyst to make others speak out, you never know.

September 24, 2009 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  35. D.C.

Well I for one can say that without a doubt I do believe Mackenzie Phillips and yes, this sort of thing does indeed happen. BTW, for fyi, Michelle Phillips is not her mother, she is her step-mother. From what I understand, her real mother wasn't around as much as she should have been for Mackenzie.

Back to what I had started with, I do believe her because this has happened in my family.. no one outside of my family with the exception of a select close friends know about it.Everyone LOVED my father and he did no wrong in their eyes but he was also sick. My father is passed away but the trauma and the guilt and all of the other feelings going through something like that never goes away and Mackenzie did state that she wrote the book for herself. I can relate. She did this as a type of self therapy to purge all of that and bring it out to show that this kind of stuff really, truly happens no matter if you're a wealthy, famous individual or not and I give her kudos for finally saying, hey, this is me and this is what happened, knowing people would turn against her for it.

It takes a LOT Of guts and courage to come out into the open and admit it, in spite of the stigma society has put upon it saying keep it under the rug and keep it within the family. BS. I for one believe it should be brought out how common this stuff actually is among families.

September 24, 2009 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  36. judy

Mackenzie Phillips. Most provocative or most weird? I am already sick of hearing about her story. Take it off the internet. Too much information. She should go to therapy and discuss it there. We do not need to know all those details.

September 24, 2009 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Justin

Powell–

you can't compare a presidential election to American idol cuz you can vote as many times as you want for AI, for president you only get one vote.

September 24, 2009 at 7:14 pm | Report abuse |
  38. w.k. from ok

It sounds like she is wanting to make a come back.... Obviously the show she needed to appear on is Celebrity ReHab w/ Dr. Drew.

September 24, 2009 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Jack

Unless you stand in someone's shoes you never know what their life has been like. In this case, I believe that McKenzie's confession, although very ugly, is the truth. I admire her courage for bringing these sick incidents to light and I am sure that she is not the only person this has happened to. I also greatly admire Valerie Bertinelli for apologizing in not being there to help her friend and McKenzie's gracious acceptance that Valerie couldn't know what had been going on. As for not being a celebrity, I have seen her in many tv programs and feel she is a good actresss.

September 24, 2009 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  40. CA

I can't imagine that she would make something up like this if it was not true! Even if her Dad was alive- who knows if he would say it happened. She is a celebrity & has been in the public eye. I only hope she stays sober & has a good life. It will be interesting what her family say's & who sticks by her

September 24, 2009 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Jess

Mackenzie Phillips hands down. I really find it hard to believe that anyone could have made something like this up. It not only makes her dad look bad, but herself, too. I highly doubt she made it up. I feel that bringing it out to the public may not have been the best move for herself. She should definitely get some professional help, quietly, like others have said. We all didn't need to know about it. That right there was to sell her book. But I believe it really happened to her.

September 24, 2009 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  42. M.R. in L.A.

Mackenzie Phillips obviously...both her and her dad are giant messes.
    To me, the interesting angle is the way her mom insists it can't be true but her sister Chynna instantly believes her. Has Bijou weighed in yet?

September 24, 2009 at 6:53 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Powell

who cares? why is it America focus's more on entertainment than on the government or other important matters? i mean, come on, more people vote on american idol than voted for our president. somethings wrong here.

September 24, 2009 at 6:52 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Absotively

I agree with Mary (September 24th, 2009 6:04 pm ET) - when was the last time we heard from Mackenzie - seems like she surfaces with bad news every couple of years. Fact is that she could deal with this privately with the support of her partner and a therapist, but she chooses to dump it into mainstream media (with Oprah's help), and humiliate her family. So, is she looking for sympathy, to feed her narcissistic appetite, or just to sell a book? All I could come up with was "who honestly cares, Mackenzie?" and Oprah, "you might have let this one pass."

September 24, 2009 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Wendi from Canada

For Spencer, who apparently thinks that 3/4 of North America knows her for sleeping with her dad; well, I guess you weren't around during the days when she starred in a little sitcom with Valerie Bertinelli (oh, maybe you don't consider her a celebrity except that she was married to some guitarist, Eddie Van Halen), called "One Day at a Time".

Guess you are too young to know that then ... but, yes, she deserves to be the "most provocative" as the definition of provocative: "tending or serving to provoke; inciting, stimulating, irritating, or vexing" fits her perfectly. She has given another glimpse into the world that many of us are not privy to. There are no other celebrities that could fit the bill for this week, other than her.

September 24, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Justin

yea she does not qualify, because I think she is lying. She is trying to sell books for more crack money. There is no way something like that could go on first off as an adult its not like she was kid or something she could have fessed up about it at anytime. No one is backing her up except her friends not family members. She is scum she is crapping all over her dads legacy for the sake of book sales she is trash in my opinion. She is still on drugs obviously you can tell from her interviews.

September 24, 2009 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Dez G.

Definitely Mackenzie Phillips. That's unbeatable.

September 24, 2009 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  48. leslie

If this is in fact true, share it with your doctor and get the necessary help.
    I think that there are very few people that care about hearing about incestuous relationships between parents and children. Where was "Mom" when all this was going on? From what I've been reading, this has never been mentioned.

September 24, 2009 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Spencer

Mackenzie Phillips does not qualify as a celebrity. The only reason she is in the news is because she slept with her dad. It is just a few minutes of fame (assuming she wants to be 'famous' for this). I am sure three-quarters of North America ONLY know her as the chick who slept with her daddy.

September 24, 2009 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  50. T.K

That is too much information. The detail was a little toooo much. I do believe she could have gotten her message out in a more discreet way. Too descriptive, to say that you were in an incestuous relationship is enough. I know that it is a difficult subject, I hope she does something with this story to help people in this situation.

September 24, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Mary

I wouldn't say that Mackenzie Phillips' presence was outrageous but I do think it was outrageous that she would write a memoir that included details of the incestuous relationshipi with her father. That is what is going to sell this book. I would have much preferred that she go into therapy to deal with this quietly and privately. Did we really need to know?

September 24, 2009 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Jane

Mackenzie Phillips, absolutely. That was a jaw-dropper.

September 24, 2009 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  53. kym

hands down.....Mackenzie Phillips. That is as outrageous as it gets!

September 24, 2009 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Sam

Gotta agree with that one. It's pretty sensational when anyone admits an incestual relationship but to hear it from a celebrity is pretty earth shattering.

September 24, 2009 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  55. c

candiate this week? mackenzie phillips... the bombshell she delievered...im still sitting here dumbfounded.... im emailing you all as well...

September 24, 2009 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |