September 21st, 2009

Larry's lessons in 'kinky' from Tyra

Talk about a hairy situation.

During Larry King's interview with Tyra Banks, he picked up a few tips and tricks from the supermodel and television show host.  Banks, who admits she's "worn fake hair since [she] was 17 years old," recently declared September 8th "National Real Hair Day."  She told King that she "did it because I feel like I have a responsibility. There’s so many young girls that come up to me and say, 'Tyra! I want to look just like you,' and I don’t look like me, you know?"

Larry King Tyra

This is where it gets kinky.

KING: This – is this real?

BANKS: Yes. This is me. You want to feel my scalp?

KING: Yes.

BANKS: Yes? It’s a little kinky in the scalp. That’s like real black girl hair. But – go – go in there.

KING: Oh, yah. Yah.  This is kind of kinky.

BANKS: Yes. That’s – Yes. It’s kinky. Exactly.

Larry's lesson's apparently didn't end there.  He also learned the art of "smizing" from Tyra. What exactly is a "smize," you wonder? Tyra Banks explains.

BANKS: The eyes, it's all about the eyes.  The eyes are the window to the soul. If you're just dead, like this, you're not going to sell that eye makeup. But if you're like, "Buy it, buy it, buy it, buy it, buy it." But it's not something that just models – women can work this. You can get a second date by smizing. You can get a job by smizing on that job interview.

KING: Wait a minute. Can men smize?

BANKS: Oh, yes, you can smize, Larry. Will you try? No, too intense. Soften it. Soften it. Yes, yes, yes. Not with the lips. Only with the eyes. Novocaine mouth. Novocaine mouth. Dead mouth. Squint just a little bit. Not with the lips. Dead lips. Dead lips. Eyes. Nice. Work, work, work, work. Yes, you did it.

To see the art of the "smize" and more, catch Tyra Banks' appearance on Larry King Tuesday night at 9pm ET on CNN.

« Previous entry
  1. MTD

Tyra is cool.....when is she going to do a season of just plus size models????

September 23, 2009 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Caroline

September 22nd, 2009 3:23 pm ET

"Tyra, I know it gets a little expensive but put the wigs back on, you can rock them like no body else Or just dye your real hair to that pretty blonde you always wear, this dark color is not you… your eyes is too pretty for this dark color is not you." (Dee)

Dee, you're not making any sense, Dee. Dee, the dark hair IS her, that's the point!! You've grown so accustomed to the fake hair, you actually can't envision Tyra in any other colour – especially the colour nature gave her. I wish you'd stop encouraging weave. It makes black girls think they cannot be lovely on their own. Maybe you can't, but speak for yourself.

September 23, 2009 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Britney...

Haha... that was hilarious!! i cant beleive how LK was like just keeping his hand in her scalp... :D Funny...

But idk what i think about that *smizing* thing...?

September 23, 2009 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  4. Tasha

I love Tyra. She has helped alot of girls by showing them that she is just like them. She has body hair and men issue. Letting us know that we are beautiful in everyway and to not let anyway take that way from them.

September 23, 2009 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  5. rachele

It's always Tyra's show , no matter what television programme she's on. Itr's alway the "All about me,Tyra!" show. But I like her. I can't help it. I think he can be amusing. She also seems to be kind. I men, she comes off that way. I don't know he or anything, but she seems cool, albeit a little too self-impressed. It's always "memememe!" with this lady.Uh, Tee, probblybecause she reularlycomes across in a way that indicates thatshe IS full of herself!It's always all about Tyra. It's perpetual show and tell with her.Her green eyes are prettiest with her dark hair.She is pretty.

September 23, 2009 at 6:44 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dona Stevens

Let Tyra do her own thing and just worry about yourself.

September 23, 2009 at 4:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. molly

hi Tyra,i wear weaves a lot,not because of low self esteem but because my hair is so kinky and unmanageable no amount of relaxer ever works and its brown yet am dark skinned. so thanks for having the confidence to finally display your hair cos i think its about time i also showed the world just how kinky can be cool..and about being full of yourself,its your right and your life! all those haters are also free to feel good about themselves, who are they to judge you anyway?fans?please!!!!!

September 23, 2009 at 4:16 am | Report abuse |
  8. Justina

smizing is supposed to be a combination of 'smiling' with your 'eyes'. It should be spelt "smeyesing"

September 23, 2009 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. prue

I love Tyra. She doesn't put on an act. She is who she is and seems proud of it. She's a beautiful woman just as Oprah is. They have so much because they work hard. That is the only way to make it in this country unless you are born with money. You can always live a life of crime which doesn't seem the way a reasonable intelligent person would go. I hope more good things come Tyra's way in the future.

I love her hair. She wants to show young girls that you don't need all the fake hair to be beautiful.

September 22, 2009 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tee

I don't know why everyone has ill comments to leave about Tyra being full of herself. She talkes about herself, because that is what her target audience wants. Her hair is a big deal, because image is everything in America. I think she struggles with being a good role model for young African Americans, while still living upto the image viewers think she should protray. On a side note: if Tyra did get her natural hair blond, it would cause so much damage her hair would brake off. She already has to processe it to get it straight.

September 22, 2009 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. theobc

ms. tyra is worth MILLIONS and ms. oprah is worth BILLIONS and you losers are whining about how you can't stand them and can "hardly" watch them anymore. i really don't think that they care because WHATEVER they are doing there seems to be audience for them and they are getting paid rather well for it and their names are household names, whereas you losers can only whine in the paper anonymously (even if we knew your real things – wouldn't really know who you are). so, ms. tyra love your hair – especially the kinky part.

September 22, 2009 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. miguel

stop hatin just cause she fine

September 22, 2009 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dee

Tyra, I know it gets a little expensive but put the wigs back on, you can rock them like no body else Or just dye your real hair to that pretty blonde you always wear, this dark color is not you... your eyes is too pretty for this dark color

September 22, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Shaw Girl

Oh Kelly stop hatin! Tyra is just doing her thing and having fun doing it! You should try to smize and chill out!

September 22, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  15. sam

She is full of herself. It is boring to watch.

September 22, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  16. AmazonGirl

Of course it's not a "word", silly.
    It's a TERM.
    Different industries are filled with TERMS that, while they're not actual "words", they mean something within that industry's community.
    Get over yourself, will ya?
    Damn.

September 22, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Kelsey

What a waste of news. A second-rate Oprah, which isn't saying much other than a brand name.

September 22, 2009 at 2:16 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Adriana

I agree with the she's so full of herself statement. I never liked her but I could at least stand to watch her on tv on rare occassions. Now I can't even stand to look at her at ALL.

September 22, 2009 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Helen

I love Tyra despite having no idea what "smizing" is!

Helen

September 22, 2009 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  20. shanese

sorry guys I meant self esteem...

September 22, 2009 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  21. shanese

LMAO!!!.. I don't even know where to begin with Tyra.... she is a character.... Like who cares how your hair really looks... if you want the world to know how your real hair looked... you would have been showing it from the beginning... I think just like so many figures in the entertainment world she has self esteam issues with her body and her looks... I just wish she would talk about things that really matter...

September 22, 2009 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  22. Kelly

Tyra Tyra Tyra please!!! Smizing isnt a word and it means nothing! I use to like her but she is so full of herself anymore theres no room for anyone else to like her. GAG!!!!!!

September 21, 2009 at 8:04 pm | Report abuse |