September 18th, 2009

Oprah in The Big Apple!

Oprah Winfrey had a live show this morning in New York City, and we were there and allowed to shoot the first five minutes of the show.

oprah live

The big news is that Oprah's new book club selection is Uwem Akpan's "Say You're One of Them," a collection of five long stories about war-torn Africa.

The crowd was full of tourists and New Yorkers, including four guys from Missouri who were such big fans of Mariah Carey that Oprah brought them into the show to see her perform, and even let them introduce the singer. But what you didn't see was the four of them performing on stage for the full crowd before the cameras started rolling. They got to do a little karaoke for the assembled audience, which may have enjoyed their energy, but I don't think Simon Cowell would have approved.

The other thing that happened, and I don't know whether it will make air when you see the show, but there was a glitch with a live shot featuring Regis and Kelly. They clearly couldn't hear Oprah talking to them, and as someone who works in live television, I can sympathize.

But the crowd was eating up their Queen, and had a lot of energy considering that they had been waiting to get in since four or five in the morning.

« Previous entry
  1. Gatekeeper

I agree, if you don't care, then WHY post a comment?..

...it kinda contrary to what you are saying about not caring.

...things I don't care about I will exit the SCENE.. my back to the wind..and not a word utter..

..its really SAD how folks come the net to get attention..by saying HATEFUL GODLESS COMMENTS ..which is all the comment represents.. and STUPID .. if you hate you will lie..if you lie you will steal.. if you steal you will kill.. connect the dotz its GODLESS.. its no mystery what type of life haters live.. I will be glad when these type of PPL just vanish off the face of the EARTH.. its a generartion of them. usually born during the 1950's -1960's then it's theiri children who picked up the HATE banner as well.. it's HORRIBLE and they call themselves AMERICANS...non progressives..

September 21, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ral

Who cares? This is all so funny because you all (including myself) cared enough to respond. Live and let live.

September 20, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ann Shaffer

It is amazing how many nutty people there are out there. If as others said you don't care what Oprah reccommends then why the heck did you read the article??? If you wrote to be nasty and mean you certainly accomplished that. THERE ARE TONS of us that do care what she picks, some of them are dark but HEY FOLKS life can be dark. Just reading the nasty comments told us there are a lot of DARK people out there. She picks a lot of great books, she gets people to read that would not necessarily read, she helps book sellers who right now need all the help they can get to sell books. If it makes a lot of people happy then SHUT UP AND GO AWAY and leave people alone. NO ONE is a sheep because they read an Oprah book club selection. GROW up people and find your self a hobby instead of writing stupid stuff on the internet. Basically you only make yourself look totally stupid. People who love Oprah and her picks are going to read them so deal with it and go read other web site articles you profess not to care about and write stupid meaninless stuff about that. Get a life!!!!

September 20, 2009 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. GateKeeper

who cares what GODLESS people such as.. Observer and Libramom has to say?..nobody.. regardless if you favor Ms Winfrey personal opinions or not.. she has done more for the sake humanity in this generation americans than most..

September 20, 2009 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |
  5. shawya

Haters ........GET A LIFE.............it take more to hate than to love...well i can see good in anthing...at least you guys have some emotion....I think oprah would feel good about all the nasty comments ..it got you guys to read the article in the first place so that u can blog about it ...she the Winner..............

September 20, 2009 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  6. KIM

Simply put, a person,who read a book that she enjoyed, is recommending it to other people....WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT?????

September 20, 2009 at 8:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. perankanguy

Lots of jealous people in this world......they just can't stand it when someone else gets ahead of them in life!! No one said life was fair!!!

September 20, 2009 at 8:09 am | Report abuse |
  8. Madhuri

I can't believe there are so many people who hate Oprah!

How sick are they?

September 20, 2009 at 3:43 am | Report abuse |
  9. shiela

People with such hate are very, very, very jealous of her success, and I agree with the person who stated fight your own battle and promote the author by starting your own book club. You’re grown A#@ people so who said you have to follow her recommendation or follow what she does. The conclusion I come to is people who love to hate have nothing to live for but criticizing, ridiculing, others it’s what give them life it helps validate why you’re here because your so miserable in with your own life, say your not because if were happy negativity would be least concern. Those who hate that’s your business your not stopping anything in her world she’s eating, sleeping, traveling and living large so you’re the one with problem not her. Riddle me this I bet you if you she offered does who hate her so much the following: Money, paid vacations, a great job, health insurance coverage anything that you may need 9 out of 10 would take it hell maybe 10 out of 10? For those who hate and harbor ill will towards her get some rest and continue to waste your life away by hating because she living well she’s happy. I wonder how many of you are God fearing, righteous, intelligent Christian’s people so you think?

Go Oprah stay healthy, wealthy and wise get doing the good deeds that you do mistake you will make your human.

Good night haters I hope she continues to give you life.

September 20, 2009 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. maggie

Go to your public library to check out books. Many cannot afford to buy a book, but will open your eyes to many great reads. I remember years ago when Oprah suggested the book "Bastard out of Carolina." This is a dark read, but really touched me and I still carry the thought of this book now.

September 20, 2009 at 1:33 am | Report abuse |
  11. Self-Confidence is Power

Obviously many people care or it would not make news and her choice of books would not drive items to become best sellers. It doesn't matter how many people hate the Oprahs, Michelles and Beyonces of the world. MANY people love them. So in the words of P. Diddy "take that, take that, take that!" No one has any complaints for the Jolies, Annistons and the like of the world. Listen, we get it, many people don't like Black people, especially Black women...shoot they don't even respect our country's Leader. I am not a celebrity, only a regular person and I deal with this consistent hate on a daily basis. But guess what, STILL I RISE, as Maya Angelou would say. :)

September 19, 2009 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. katarina

What's wrong with Anna Karenina, Michelle? It was voted one of the 20th centuries best novels so I decided to read it (before Oprah's club, actually) and it's one of the best books I've ever read! I agree a lot of her choices have been rather dark. For example, early on she chose a couple of Kaye Gibbons novels...I much prefer "Charms for the Easy Life." Having said that...would I have known who Kaye Gibbons was if she hadn't put her in the spotlight? I doubt it...hard to say.

I certainly do not worship any people, including Oprah. Even though we have a lot of differences in terms of belief and politics, I do admire her, though. She made a name for herself by stepping out of the formerly typical talk show schpiel...into promoting the best in all of us. The fact that this resonates with so many just shows how deep down we want what is good and whole!

September 19, 2009 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  13. RainsMom

I haven't read too many of Oprah's picks, but I applaud her commitment to getting people together to read and engage in literary discussion. As a writer, I suppose that I nurture a faint hope that one day I may be "discovered" by Oprah, and rocket to fame and fortune. Oh, well.

I'm actually a little shocked at the amount of nasty comments about reading as opposed to other activities like exercise and diet. Strange to think some people see the act of reading as of less value than going to a gym. Can't people do BOTH? And as for reading classics, I can't agree with the haters of Anna Karenina or other classic works. They require more concentration than the latest best-seller, that's true. But oh – – – what rewards to those who stay the course.

September 19, 2009 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mike

I love Oprah and I also love Kathy Griffin. I think it would be very smart for Oprah to select Griffin's new book, "OFFICIAL BOOK CLUB SELECTION" for the Oprah book club. We need as much "funny" in the world as we can get these days. Like here or not, Griffin is an original talent.

September 19, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Katherine M

Mom2Noah: Poor Noah! The poor child doesn't have a chance with a mother who actually can call a person a "demon" without cause. Demon? Really? What "demonic" things has she done? Help the poor, given away more money than we will ever know, encourage women to better their lives, encourage everyone to become more literate? It is ignorant people like you that need to go away!!!!!!!

September 19, 2009 at 2:56 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Chol

Hey Annabella,

Thanks you, hat how I view Oprah? she is a smart woman, but American can't accept themselves because of their skin colors.

September 19, 2009 at 2:27 am | Report abuse |
  17. Alfeus

Oprah give a big influence for the people...

September 19, 2009 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  18. HOLLYWOOD

i just sat here and read every comment and I am simply amazed and humored! OMG people!!! Why the heck does it matter about this whole book club thing??? For heavenz sake....it'z a book club! A BOOK CLUB!!!!! No one is forcing anyone on here with all the negativity to read one of the bookz off the list! If u don't want 2.....then fine! DON'T!!! Oprah doesn't put a gun to anyone'z head and make them buy the bookz off the list. A LOT of people have book clubz! Celebritiez....even down to the average people walkin' up and down the street! So hummmm......let'z see! If Bob....James....or Harry from across the street had an article on here about a book club they were doin'.....would it make a difference? Would there be so many negative commentz? Probably not! Know why??? Because u don't know any of them and it wouldn't matter. So since everyone iz in such a hurry to run on here and criticize Oprah because she has her "own preference" in the material she reads and recommends to other's.....who by the way....go out and read the material by choice....not force......then it must mean that u have absolutely....positively....no life.....and need 2 go out and get one quick....and stop worryin' about what Oprah is out here doing!! If it'z that serious....start ur own book club...sheesh! If ur opinion iz so big and you have some author'z who u think are better....then do something about it!! Take care of home and urself first........k? Because in reality......all of the name calling....racist comments......negativity.....it'z only making it obvious to people of ur ignorance!

September 18, 2009 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  19. browser

for those of you who hate oprah and complain about anyone caring what she's reading, i'm interested to know why you took the time to read this article AND took the time to comment. seems like you care enough to do both....so you're complaining seems a bit hypocritical. that's all.

September 18, 2009 at 10:52 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Observer

Well it looks like a few people posting are having a bad day, it is amazing how 5 little words can bring out the ugly in people. But no matter how you feel,, I STILL DON"T CARE WHAT OPRAH READS!!

September 18, 2009 at 7:18 pm | Report abuse |
  21. steppytoe

.Movie Critics give recommendations everyday....heck we ALL do whenever we RECOMMEND an eatery, a wine.....whatever!.

Geesh! They're just recommendations Folks....you're not going to like everyhing she likes.......If anyone has ever belonged to a book club, you know there are some selections you enjoy, and others you dont, but because it's OPRAH..... the national peanut gallary has got to openly complain. Stop Hatin!! And that has nothing to do with race....It mean stop being so negative about someone who has done NOTHING to hurt you.......And for all the people who keep talking about her being rich and having time to read........and how you're not rich, so you cant read.... well... there you have it.... Thats attitude right there is the reason you will never be rich!!

September 18, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Josh M

Say what you will about her, she's definately a force to be reckoned with. I for one think promoting literacy is something that is very much needed in society. I see no problem with her, but all the hate for her...where does it come from?! I have never found a reason to dislike her. She's so generous and caring, how can anyone be that way towards that? Jealousy maybe?

September 18, 2009 at 6:08 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Anne S.

I was hoping she would pick Kathy Griffin's book.
    Oprah, where's your sense of humor?

September 18, 2009 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  24. rootsgal

hahaah miss emma.. i love your comment!!!!!

September 18, 2009 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Annabella

I'm glad that people in America are reading more books. I really believe that Oprah is responsible for making reading popular again. I would read books if they were endorsed by someone famous or not. I think some of the commments concerning Oprah have nothing to do with reading. They seem really mean spirited. They are really sad to read and it shows that some Americans still have a long way to go when it comes to people of a different race or background being in a position of great influence. Yes, I said it. Like it or not, Oprah has great influence in our country and around the world.

September 18, 2009 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Vincent Petrosino

What Oprah recommends resonates with the public especially with women/ SHE READS and she has encouraged others to READ and they are READING. When she suspended this part of her program before, people demanded she bring it back. OPRAH READS AND MORE PEOPLE ARE READING BECAUSE OF HER. IT EVIDENT YOU NEGATIVE CREEPS ARE NOT THE READERS SHE IS REACHING AND THAT IS VERY SAD!

September 18, 2009 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  27. justsane

"The problem with Oprah is that she uses her book club to promote authors that she likes, not authors that the mainstream would like." michelle

actually michelle, she picks books that she thinks that her readers will enjoy, but probably would never pick up (or possibly even hear of) without some encouragement. she also looks for books that have ideas or lessons that most people can apply to their own lives, or learn something from.

nobody needs encouragement to read a romance novel...

September 18, 2009 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Lili

One reason the world is falling apart is because of people with a nasty attitude that make snap judgments and do not practice tolerance for others. Geez.... Why would you have to post nasty rants about things you don't even care about. If you don't care what Oprah reads, fine. Don't rain on other's parade. I DO NOT read all Oprah's picks because I HAVE been disappointed. We all have different tastes. But there is no dispute that she has inspired MANY, MANY people to read and there is no downside to that. Who have you inspired lately ?

September 18, 2009 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  29. J

I agreed with 'Not a Hater'... Why is it that when someone says ANYTHING negative, people jump on that person as if they are racist? You want to talk about ignorant, maybe look at yourselves. I don't like Obama because he is a liar who has clouded the judgement of most of America, it has nothing to do with his race. I don't like Oprah, because she, too, has clouded the judgement and free choice of women all over this country, not because she is a woman, or because she is black. I don't like Rush because he is way too conservative, and doesn't listen to both sides of an argument, not because he is white. People who throw the race card for everything that involves someone of color, is more ignorant than the original protester.

September 18, 2009 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Cookla

How many people have time to read a book were to busy trying to survive we don't have Oprah's money she is making money from every word she say's with the credit crunch people are losing there homes etc... no time to relax and enjoy life especailly to read a book "hello light's on nobody home"by the way Linzy Jane Eyre is one of my favorite book's when l was a child so l am listening to you chin up,and why l"m writing this message sick and tried of hearing about famous people telling us poor people what we have to do only to make them more money this is my reply for Oprah.
    Cookla.

September 18, 2009 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  31. YEC

Linzy, Jane Eyre ROCKS! I've read a few of Oprah's recommendations, but only because they sound like the kind of thing I'd like to read, not because she recommended it. This new recommendation doesn't tickle my fancy, so I'm not going to waste my time when there are other books out there calling my name. "Oprah Recommends..." just isn't a huge selling point for me.

September 18, 2009 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  32. steppytoe

I havent drank the Oprah Kool Aid....but I do like Oprah....she does a lot of good things for people. I mean, how can you not like someone who feeds the hunger, provides shelter for the homless, and empowers women and children? Have we gotten soooo good at tearing people down, that we cant give credit where credit is due??? Now, I'm not saying you have to subscribe to anything she believes, says, or sells....but is your mind and heart so weak that you cant appreciate a charitable being? Stop Hating!! And if you dont like someone, why in the "H, E, Double Hocky Sticks" would you waste your time reading an article about them?? Now thats a sad testimony.............

September 18, 2009 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  33. D

ahhah you care that's why you're reading this article. If you didn't care, you wouldn't even know who she was.

September 18, 2009 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Master V

I would like to see Ms. Winfrey promote/read/talk about a slightly different genre of books, as well. Personally, as an author, I'd love for her to even read my book and comment on it. Good, bad, ugly, whatever. Simply by someone of her present stature even mentioning the books I've been privileged to co-author would be huge. As an independent author (not hooked up with a big-name publisher), my co-author and I could use the exposure. Otherwise, what chance to struggling new authors like us have? I'd like her to read our stuff and say whether or not she likes it. It's be great to get the feedback on "Indomitable Spirit-the Power Within" and "Integrity". Amazon.com just isn't making enough smoke at the moment.

September 18, 2009 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Margo

What little free time I have I enjoy a good book. Oprah's choice's are not for everybody but she gives you some good recommendations.

September 18, 2009 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  36. The Woodlands, Texas

I'm currently reading 'A Fine Balance' which is also an Oprah book club book. I have already read 'Say You're One of Them' and I must say, the Queen of America has a great eye for fine novels.

September 18, 2009 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  37. PROBYN

why is everyone so obsessed with her, who cares what she does or what she reads. The only reason people live through her or care about what she says is because their own life is missing something. It's not healthy to be so reliant on someone that if they suggest a book you run out an buy it...there are alot of smart people out there but it doesn't mean i would follow their every word and infact i am quite smart enough to make my own decisions of what i want to read or how i want to live or what my favourite things are...i can't stand oprah i think she is racist and condisending and feeds off the insecurities of bored housewives...

September 18, 2009 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Laura

For so many avid readers, the grammatical errors on these posts are outsize!

All the same, I think Oprah's list is interesting (jI ust checked it out for the first time) - it's not as though university English departments are putting McCullers in the curriculum!

I also find it interesting that Oprah has time to read. I'm sure she has the integrity to have read each book that she's touted, but it says so much that other people simply 'can't find the time to do so'...it's clearly a matter of priorities.

September 18, 2009 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Linzy

hey all, it's just a book. I'd like her to promote Jane Eyre but no one's listening to me.....

September 18, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Jan

If you don't Oprah's selection of a book to read is important, than why are your reading the article that talks about it. If you do not care, move on. Why leave a negative message. 15 minutes of no-fame?

September 18, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Becky

Oprah start recommending eating and exercising classes franchise your billions and provide health centers for people who are fat and can not afford to pay these overpriced jym fees to startup memberships and monthly fees do something with some substance instead of reading, couch potato stuff.

September 18, 2009 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Jennifer

wow people have way too much time on their hands!

September 18, 2009 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Not a Hater

Why is is that as soon as someone dares criticize or disagree with Oprah or Obama they are immediately called haters and racists? Can people other than kool-aid drinkers not have an opinion any longer? Talk about communism. (Not a hater, not a republican, just a person).

September 18, 2009 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Cindy

HATERS all HATERS...why can't people stand to see someone successful??? Talk about Civility...This woman has done more for mankind than any of these HATERS...they probably would not give a dying man a glass of water. I congratulate OPRAH for her giving spirit!

September 18, 2009 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Reader

Why is reading a book someone recommends being a sheep? I choose books on my own, but many of the books I've read have been recommended by someone- a teacher, the NY Times bestseller's list, a friend, my book club.

I'm surprised at all the negativity (Hitler, Stalin, the Antichrist?!) surrounding the announcement of a book club selection. They say you can't judge a book by it's cover, but apparently many can judge a book because it was recommended by Oprah.

September 18, 2009 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Patricia G, Houston, TX

It is not that anyone cares it is a book club based on the folks who will read what others find interesting enough to tell a friend. Wow!

September 18, 2009 at 4:11 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Queen

For all those who have a negative comment about Oprah or for that point anyone who is trying to do something positive- get over yourself. You don't have to read the book or watch the movie or watch her show. Don't criticize, DO SOMETHING to change SOMEONE'S Life or the world around you.

She does alot of positive things for people, she gives a LARGE amount of her money and time to good causes. If she were white you would praise her.

September 18, 2009 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  48. mailman

any job well done brings with it success.so if you have all that time on your hands to bash someone who has made it for herself don't hate just congratulate and make something out of yourself...I don't think every art lover out there likes all Van Gogh's work but its nice to have a joice and decide for yourself based on facts,quality of material,wisdom,respect etc

September 18, 2009 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Bill

Sounds like some people are having a hard time accepting the fact that Oprah is a successful, highly respected, attractive, intelligent woman of color. I care a lot about what Oprah thinks, but I realize many of you are much more concerned about listening to Rush spew his foul garbage.

September 18, 2009 at 4:03 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Bob

Please read all the books on Oprah's list. She will sell more advertising, and will, therefore, earn more money. Oprah is a brilliant product. Buy more Oprah.

September 18, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  51. mindsweeper

Oprah is essentially a fuel to capitalist fire. She adds points to the DOW index.

September 18, 2009 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Cat

Oh lord, people don't "worship" Oprah; they admire her. She has done countless things for the less fortunate, and if she's encouraging people to read, more power to her. Sure, she's made mistakes in her life, but even she admits that. She's a popular icon, like it or not, but at least she's famous for doing some GOOD in the world, not shaking her arse and lip synching or adopting every kid she sees from Africa or wherever.

I'm sure the authors of books in her "book club" are grateful to her for the promotion of their work!

September 18, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Is

I am thankful for Oprah and what she has done with what she was given in life, which was her intellect and prowess. I am also thankful for all of the time and resources (including scads of money) she has donated over the years to help out people–who probably had a lot more than she did–that she felt needed a helping hand.

She is a good example for all Americans, not just black women.

Get over yourselves and start doing some good in this world.

September 18, 2009 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Karen

To the person who said "sheep" - can you say "jerk " about yourself. As stated anyone who encourages reading is commendable - and books that make you think are important.

September 18, 2009 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Bubba

buzbeach, now she's the female antichrist? Because she encourages people to improve themselves? Hmm, that's kinda . . . anti-christian of you, buz. Tell me, have you ever shaved your head and looked in a mirror to see if there's a 666 hidden beneath your hair? Or do you only apply Christian values to people if they are the same color as you? What was the last book you read, not counting Dr Seuss? Are you by any chance Pop2Noah? And is there some 'kinky' reason that you conservatives keep bringing up 'sheep?'

September 18, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Theresa

I have to agree with a couple of the previous posters. The stuff she recommends are mostly dark and depressing and why can't she support authors that write good fiction novels. I like to read to escape from reality most of the time. If I want reality, I just have to walk out my front door.

September 18, 2009 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Nikki

Oprah's book choices do vary. But you can't just consider two or three years. She has been doing this club for a while and many authors of all races, ethnicities, ages and belief systems have been included.

September 18, 2009 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Dana

Although, Oprah's books can be depressing and dark, those are the books that are the best to delve into and enjoy. To me, it's like eating a candy bar or eating a four course gourmet meal. The lighthearted books are fun and enjoyable for a minute but easily forgettable and nothing to latch onto emotionally or intellectually. However, darker books may seem like too much, but once you get through it, you really have a lot to think about when the book is done.

I am an English teacher and it's great that Oprah has a book of the month club. I have enjoyed quite a few of her books. On the other hand, I have hate quite a few of her books too. Right now, I'm reading lots of young adult literature...and it's awesome. Especially the Lightining Thief and Maximum Ride series.

To each his own...even Oprah. : )

September 18, 2009 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  59. buzbeech

I thought the anti Christ was going to be a man. I think it could be anyone man, woman, black , white, oriental! People are like sheep going to slaughter. They can't think for themselves.

September 18, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Renee

Those of you wasting time by spewing negativity and calling her names...SIT DOWN, SHUT UP and GO AWAY!

Translation..GET A LIFE OF YOUR OWN and stop spending time lamenting hers...LOL

September 18, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Michelle

The problem with Oprah is that she uses her book club to promote authors that she likes, not authors that the mainstream would like. Look at her past picks... Anna Karenina, anyone? Ugh. I actually wanted to buy a copy of "Edgar Sawtelle" after she announced that one, but then had to comb stores until I could find one that didn't have the ugly Oprah logo plastered all over the front.

What I'd like to see Oprah do is choose book by authors who aren't known, who really need the boost in sales, and whose works are relevant to mainstream America. Considering the average Oprah viewer is a middle aged woman, maybe Oprah could keep that in mind instead of choosing books about Africa or moldy old Russian classics that not even English majors want to read... as good as those books are, the general public isn't interested.

September 18, 2009 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Kathy Portland Oregon

Oprah,
    Just wanted tp thank you for bringing Whitney back. great promo.

September 18, 2009 at 3:27 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Blah

Don't care what Okra reads either. So why am I even posting here? Good question, bye

September 18, 2009 at 3:25 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Simon

People follow her like the used to follow Hitler and Stalin

September 18, 2009 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Bubba

Kinda looks like "Observer" is Oprah's biggest fan! First post and all; he obviously couldn't wait to read the article. Mom2Noah, "demon," really? Sounds like you've been to a racist teaparty recently. Haters like y'all make Oprah necessary, not just popular.

September 18, 2009 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Cheeco

Oprah should not be so idolized. She is a human just like everyone else. She has had plenty of mistakes in judgement and who she decided to back or support. Because she picks out a particular book, does not mean its worthy of reading.

September 18, 2009 at 3:20 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Tammy

Obviously you cared what book she is endorsing or you would not have read the article. If you want to read it, then do it, if not don't. Why does there need to be negativitiy about everything. And bashing about it.

September 18, 2009 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  68. WhoCaresWhatYouThink

@ Observer and LibraMom.....and who care what you think?????

September 18, 2009 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Dana, Southlake

I love Oprah's book choices.

September 18, 2009 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  70. kate

Observer & LibraMom, maybe you should do some reading, you can learn something, then you won't be so ignorant.

September 18, 2009 at 3:14 pm | Report abuse |
  71. JV

While I agree, a LOT of people do, which is why the books sell so well when she puts them on her list.

September 18, 2009 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Eats drinks reads

Observer and LibraMom,
    I am of the same opinion, but also realize what an endorsement this is. This will catapult the author to fame, money and whatever else that comes with it. Oprah has the power of numbers. That said, if any author deserves that it is Uwem Akpan. Besides being an author, he is also a jesuit priest and works with children, many of whom have gone through the things he mentions in the stories. Read the book. It will be eye opening.

September 18, 2009 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Another observer of the absurd

Can you say "sheep"- people who can only blindly follow what others say and can't make decisions for themselves.

September 18, 2009 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  74. TheProfessor

Oprah's book selections are always highly literary and encourage indepth analysis. What other pop culture icon is doing this much for mass literacy? America needs to develop a renewed passion for reading, no matter who is endorsing it.

September 18, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Angel

I disagree with you both. Oprah is highly influential, her reading club is a great tool for people to actually engage in a literary conversation which our country lacks.

September 18, 2009 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  76. LibraWoman

who cares is right.....the worlds falling apart and we're worried about what Oprah's reading.

September 18, 2009 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  77. CarolinaChris

You may not care what Oprah reads but you can't deny that she's inspired millions to read. THAT can't be a bad thing.

September 18, 2009 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Loves Books

I have found everyone of her choices dark & depressing. So I never read anything she recommends.

September 18, 2009 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Mom2Noah

I agree! If these "Oprah Lemmings" put as much energy into their OWN lives as they do glorifying this demon called Oprah, their lives and the lives of people around them would be SOOOO much better! Stop glorifying her and she'll go away.....wouldn't that be sweet?

September 18, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  80. rebecca

Why can't a good fiction novel be one of Oprah's selections. The past and present choices are all focused on the same theme. How about trying to promote some new genres???

September 18, 2009 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Rob

Authors that are immediately best sells due to Oprah care. Bookstores probably care too

September 18, 2009 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Miss Emma

I do because Oprah is a smart woman and I think you do too because you read the article.

September 18, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  83. LibraMom

Observer, I agree completely with you!!!

September 18, 2009 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |