September 15th, 2009

Kanye calls Taylor- Finally!

This just in to Showbiz Tonight: Taylor Swift’s rep, Paula Erickson, tells us that Kanye West reached out to Taylor after her appearance on The View to personally apologize.

Well it’s about time! Really Kanye? It took you 2 days? I accidentally bump into someone in a store and I apologize about 20 times because I feel so bad. When I feel like I’ve used the wrong tone on the phone with my parents I call them up to apologize again after we’ve hung up- and I am an adult. You ran up on stage, stole a microphone out of a teenager’s hand and hijacked her acceptance speech. Then you waited two whole days to apologize? Are you serious?

On top of that, she had to go on The View to say that you hadn’t personally apologized before you bothered to pick up a phone to give her a ring. Let me guess- you thought going on Leno first was a better career move, right? That’s what I thought. Well, it certainly helped Jay Leno- his ratings were through the roof. You got your press too; that clip of you “near tears” has been played everywhere today.

Kanye, the point is this: yet again you made it all about you when the fact of the matter is that it should be about Taylor. That night should have been about Taylor, the speech should have been about Taylor, and the apology should have been about Taylor. So how come all roads seem to lead back to you Kanye?

For more on Kanye West's apology to Taylor Swift, tune in to Showbiz Tonight at 11pm ET/PT on HLN- don't miss it!

1. Debra

Lord Jimmy, you opened a can of worms. Not all black or white people who disagree with a person of the opposite race is a racist.

But let's look at Kanye's previous remarks:

"Bush hates black people" an absurd lie as ummmm Colin Powell and Condi Rice anyone.......

and Obama is half white everyone seems to forget he has a white mama...I just don't agree with him (except for his opinion of kanye)...but that does not make me a racist

September 17, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. alex

i think kanye west is so immature as a artist and now i can see why he has been dissed at losing at all the award shows ,he's a discrace to the music industry and as a human being good job on the part of the mtv executives to tell him to leave the mtv awards the show was really great until that moment kanye ran on stage taylor swift is a great talent i think kanye dserves everthing every person in the country gives him and treats him the man needs a serious reality check, he's no talent toward the music industry if he has no moral"s

September 16, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Report abuse |
  3. alex

i think kanye west is so immature as a artist and now i can see why he has been dissed at losing at all the award shows ,he's a discrace to the music industry and as a huing being good job on the part of the mtv executives to tell him to leave the mtv awards the show was really great until that moment kanye ran on stage taylor swift is a great talent i think kanye dserves everthing every person in the country gives him and treats him the man needs a serious reality check, he's no talent toward the music industry if he has no moral"s

September 16, 2009 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Britney...

waittt was Kanye drunk then?? Perez Hilton things he was but what do you guys think????

September 16, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  5. tony

Kayne is still a douchebag. His multiple apologies, just like Chris Brown's, smacks of a career saving stunt. Please go away both of you! Your collective 30 mintues are up.

September 16, 2009 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Gail in NJ

Kayne, shameful, shameful, and more shameful......

September 16, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Britney...

Taylor was hailarous on The View... you should watch the reruns.
    I feel bad for her. I mean, imagine just winning you first VMA Award and then this so called celeb comes up and snatches the mike from your hand and says that someone else deserves to win.
    I dont know about you but tht is just plain rude.
    Sweet of Beyonce to let Taylor talk tho. (:
    I agree with Clarkey tho, Kanye probably did it for publicity. Taylor is still young and has manners unlike other older people tht seem not to have respect.
    Stay strong Taylor. America loves you... (:

September 16, 2009 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dee

jimmy, jimmy, jimmy....kanye was running up on stage ruining everyone's moment and making it about himself LONG before President Barrack Obama was in the White House. Has nothing to do with it.

September 16, 2009 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Clarkey

Kanye is an IDIOT. He thinks he is the man and is SO NOT. He does it for publicity. I can't believe Jay Z would put up with his crap, he is too cool and classy to be hanging with Kanye. I will NEVER listen to his music. What he did to Taylor Swift is unforgivable, she is a young talented sweet girl and has class. As for that matter, Beyonce has more class than anyone I know to do what she did for Taylor. I will continue to supoort Taylor and Beyonce but will never watch or listen to anything Kanye is on. Get A Life and quit blaming it on your mom's death, she would be so ashamed of you.......God Rest Her Soul

September 16, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  10. skot

it is so true that kanye was wrong and it is good that so many artist came to taylor's defense but there is a problem with this society when an equally talented and young performer like rihanna is beaten to a pulp and it did no gather this much anger infact there was talk that she the victim should be boycotted as well.where were all these artist like pink kelly clarkson joel madden rick martin tim mcgraw to name a few.it just saddens me

September 16, 2009 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Sally

Serena and Kanye need to grow up!

September 16, 2009 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Koki

Kanye calls himself a genius...
    Prince, Stevie Wonder, James Brown were genious...
    you are a rapper that sometimes catches a good hook on a song (which are made up mostly of sampled stuff from better songs)
    This guy is plain and simple mediocre..

why do we elevate and praise mediocrity, why do we get fed such crap.

What happened that night is just another example of a crappy artist with a huge ego..ruining the night of a rising young star. Its sad.

I don't mind bad behavior (well, some of it), as long as there is something of quality given to me by the artist...as long as the person has achieved something in terms of record sales or actual importance in this biz. this guy?, hell I'm not impressed.

At the end of the day, this guy is just another rapper, with an attitude.

Go away dude, just go away.

September 16, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  13. yvette

He was totally out of order. He needs to see a Mental Health Provider. and quick, asap,right now...that boy aint right in the head. Please excuse my English but he AINT right.

September 16, 2009 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Sonia

Why is everyone surprised at his behavior? He's done something like this at almost every major award show since he first came on the scene. The only difference is that he was drinking (publicly). It had absolutely nothing to do with race. In case everyone forgot Beyonce is married to his mentor....and I think that was just a case of him kissing butt. I don't agree with or condone his behavior but people need to get over it. If Taylor Swift has accepted his apology then it's time to move on and get ready for Kanye's next public outburst.

Kanye...next time leave the cognac in the limo.

September 16, 2009 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Queen 822

Slow down Jimmy!! Black people are not acting out. Kanye is acting out. Kanye has personal issues and does not know how to handle them. What Kanye did was stupid and if black people were acting out we would be backing him up and supporting him. We are NOT!! Just because he is black and he has black fans does not mean that his black fans will back him up. I'm black and I don't agree with what he did.

Black people acting out, what a joke!!!!

September 16, 2009 at 3:33 pm | Report abuse |
  16. palebluedot

Katherine – Yes we all make mistakes,but this fellow has some serious problems.

September 16, 2009 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  17. palebluedot

Now we hear that hes still sad at his mothers passing.Give it a rest Kanye.Your screw up.This is not the first time you have tried to tell us what WE should like or dislike,and it will not be the last.In HIS mind hes the number one...and cant get it through his pea head that other people are better than him.Black may be beautiful.but you sure make it hard to like.Get off your high horse.A lot of us have suffered the same loses as you,suck it up .

September 16, 2009 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Diva

I have already posted my remarks concerning Kanye's ignorant little stunt on an earlier blog; but he did make himself look like a big stupid fool. It's good he apologized, but he should have done it sooner.

This next statement is for Jimmy: I don't see the logic behind your little statement about Blacks acting out. If you want to talk about people acting out...I will just mention the various elected officials that are actively trying to hinder our President in his goals for our country & blatantly disrespecting him to his face. I will not mention any names but I am from South Carolina. :-)

It is sad that people today have no sense of decorum & think nothing of disrespecting other people & that is so very sad; it should not matter what race a person is & that goes for entertainers, government officials & sports personalities.

September 16, 2009 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  19. disco

Jimmy – Just because someone likes music that's produced by another person of the same race doesn't mean THEY are a racist. And by the way, what the heck did you mean by your statement of "they" are acting out since Obama became President?! Sounds like someone is calling the kettle black, as it were.

September 16, 2009 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Wayne

Kanye is a total jerk. He can't possibly think stealing someones moment in a public forum is anything but rude and disgusting. And he is so arrogant that he thinks his opinion over rides any public voting system. Even Beyonce's facial expression was one of shock and embarrassment. There is no way you can apologize for something like that.

I'm frankly disappointed that the media is even asking if people are over reacting. Of course we should be outraged. What planet do you folks live on. When disrespect and abuse is tolerated, disrespect and abuse becomes the norm.

September 16, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  21. twin

I dont think he is a racist....i think that he just has a little complications upstairs...okay he apoligized but do you know how many people watch the vma's...alot of people may not watch the news to see or read that he apologized, or watch other shows to see it either....i think it was beyond childish but hey its kanye he never really had it all to begin with.

September 16, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Plaer1

Kanye is a straight-up loser; just another sad example of a washed-up Rap Artist trying in vain to stay relevent.

I like to see him try that punk move with a dude.

I'll bet security had to remove him from the venue -quickly- before he got wht he truly needed – a deat down

What a PUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

September 16, 2009 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Kathym

Well, at least Kanye acknowledges his behavior was wrong. They should ban him from future award shows. Tennis pro, Serena Williams, however, still doesn't get it that her outburst of profanity against a line judge is wrong, period. Under no circumstances is a threat to shove a ball down someones throat okay. Under normal circumstances, both behaviors would be considered criminal assult, and charges pressed. Why are there no charges in either case?

September 16, 2009 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Dee Vera

I can't believe Showbiz Tonight is asking Perez Hilton what he thinks about Kanye. Perez was more rude when he called Miss California a B-- for giving her viewpoint on Gay marriage. Perez never apologized, and what he said about her on the internet was totally childish and uncalled for. Why are they asking him anyway? I don't care what he has to say.

September 16, 2009 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  25. Debra R

Isn't it time to just ignore this meglomanical, racist,no talent narcissist? His 15 minutes of fame are over.

September 16, 2009 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  26. YoItsAddDum

I am a fan of Kanye, but Im going to have to agree, what he did was out of control and he should have been stopped. Racist? Im starting to think so after this.

September 16, 2009 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  27. Delta Doug

what kanye did was shameful and typical alcoholic behavior. now he is blaming his moms death, more shame. was she dead in 2006 when he did the same thing at the european music awards and blamed his outburst on alcohol? america is very forgiving when people admit they are wrong and apologize with NO EXCUSES. kanye and serena should hook up and go live on a secluded island with no media or microphones.

September 16, 2009 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  28. Lambo

I will call it what it is he is racist.

September 16, 2009 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  29. ShaeShae

Just because he is black does not make him a racist, its just his color. However, he was a complete jerk. I love It when racist especially like D Hahn whom obviously can't think beyond realism to say this person is a person whom is not cool, and that he truly needs some help. First and foremost who cares I think Taylor Swift can't sing or has any talent. What Kanye did was spiral a no talent like Taylor Swift in the spotlight just because he was an arrogant stupid drunk, not because he is racist. Just for the record Blacks, Afro Americans whatever the term today can say whatever they want its a free country. But ignorance is something that would not be tolerated.....Deal with it!!!

September 16, 2009 at 9:02 am | Report abuse |
  30. D hahn

If a white guy had done that to a black singer, what KANYE did, he would have been called a racist. I can't believe there's nobody out there who is willing to call it what it was.

September 16, 2009 at 6:35 am | Report abuse |
  31. JJW

I love that even the President called Kayne a Jacka$$.

Someone ought to slap Kanye in the mouth.

But the best part was that he really made himself look like the Ultimate A$$ when Beyonce' won Best Video of the Year.

He should really look at himself in the mirror and ask himself,
    "How needy am I?"

September 16, 2009 at 12:55 am | Report abuse |
  32. Denise

I don't think Kanye West' outburst should be ignored or forgiven! As far as I am concerned I will never purchase his music again. It's ridiculous that a grown man can't act his age. Maybe his ego will be taken down a few notches. I might feel some sympathy, if this type of behavior was not habitual but since it is I do not.

September 15, 2009 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Tami C.

As my heart ached for her, I was so proud of how Taylor held herself together so beautifully and with such grace as her heart was crushing. The hearts of everybody who watched were crushing for her as well, even a lot of Kanye's fans. I have to say, Taylor's interview after the awards was absolutely perfect; she was honest about how she felt– kept it simple and to the point–and yet she refused not stoop to low levels and lash back at Kanye. As for Beyonce', the word beautiful is not enough to define this woman. She, as always, demonstrated nothing but true class and heart. Both Taylor and Beyonce are pure examples of compassion and respect; two of the world's most beautiful women! Their mothers must be so proud~

September 15, 2009 at 10:10 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Concerned Citizen

Jimmy -I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you're serious. Why on earth would you take the Kanye West situation and turn it in to an act of racism? Can't the guy be a jerk (for lack of a better, appropriate term) without being a racist jerk? I think that's a bit ignorant on your part. Also, I think that saying African American citizens have been "acting out" since Obama became President is a blatant racist remark. I don't know how old you are, where you are from, or what your story is, but you obviously have a lot to learn about the world. You probably don't need to pull the race card just because an incident involved people of different race–that's actually racist in itself.

Anyways, I think Kanye West showed what a low life he is throughout this whole situation. Poor Taylor Swift had to go call him out on national tv for him to call and make a personal apology. Really? What I do not understand is why MTV continues to let him come to the VMAs or any of their awards shows–when he disrespects them and the other artists there. Whether Kanye thought someone else deserved the award or not, he had no business getting on stage and no business stating his opinion on tv–that's what his blog is for. Oh, and I did not believe his "apologies" or his "near tears" moment with Jay Leno. In fact, I think that Kanye was lacking some attention and seized a moment to get some. He's pathetic and I hope his reputation never recovers from this.

September 15, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  35. dan w.

First, let me say Kanye's behavior was wrong on every level. Selfish, insensitive, and a little crazy but I'm getting a little sick of the racist angle. Could it have been he doesn't like country music? Or that he actually thought Beyonce's was best and he foolishly thinks the best wins? Or that he arrogantly thinks he is the only person capable of determining who is the best? During the Grammys, he said U2 or Coldplay deserved the Grammy if he didn't get it. What color are they? If you want to start using a word like racism, know your history and what it means. Racism is lynching, no drinking at the water fountain, police cracking you up aside the head for no reason, stopping you for no reason, calling the President (who is half white) a monkey. For your information, Jimmy, on facebook, African-Americans were just as down on him as anybody else, but they called him rude, crazy and an a**hole. Here's a post from FB that sums up my feelings when I read posts like yours: I imagine a day when a person publicly misbehaves and the only person it reflects on his or herself. I imagine a day when bad behavior is .just bad behavior and we can recognize it as such without using the incident to justify our prejudices or defending something that is not defendable.

September 15, 2009 at 9:10 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Enough

Taylor Swift is a class act, which is more than anyone can say for Kanye. Of course Kanye is sorry, sorry he got his sorry butt booed off the stage and nobody thinks what he did was cool. He's a loser and his apology for his pathetic act will never make up for ruining her moment. Go away Kanye and do something productive with your life...........loser!

Katherine – I hardly consider what Kanye did "just" a MISTAKE,

September 15, 2009 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  37. garry hawkins

i think that they should not allow liquor in a venue like that during an event like that. they can wait until afterwards to celebrate. also, if you think a white artist saying another white artist was better than a black artist would not recieve the slap on the wrist kanye got, your absolutely right. taylor did not deserve to be humiliated for an innocent win. beyonce, i have to say is a very classy woman for giving taylor a second chance to speak, knowing the feeling. kanye should be ashamed of himself and is a disgrace to music and i hope he loses popularity. he makes everything about himself and doesnt consider anyone elses feelings. he also should stop running his mouth before somebody shuts it for him.

September 15, 2009 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  38. jimmy

I believe it was a bit racist on his part saying another black artist should of have won instead of a white artist. It just seems to me that ever since Obama became president more african Americans are acting out. What would of happened if a white artist did that to a black artist that person would be racist. Kanye can blame it on alcohol but he is racist. The only reason Kane apologized is because if he didn't his career would be over. I bet his managers and producers made him apologize.

September 15, 2009 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  39. KATHERINE LYNCH

it was rude but everyone makes mistakes

September 15, 2009 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Ellen Kremski

Why would they let Kanye on the red carpet with liquor? Taylor Swifts parents did a great job, what a gracious young lady.

September 15, 2009 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |