September 15th, 2009

Back on the U.E.S. with 'Gossip Girl'

Finally, the reason to watch Monday night TV is back. The trophy for keeping “Gossip’s” first season three episode hot easily - and let’s be honest, unsurprisingly - goes to Chuck and Blair.

Gossip Girl

Nate’s got another half-baked plot line involving his family feuds, Serena’s up to her old shot-taking, table-dancing antics, Carter’s back and there was plenty of Eric, but if Queen B and her knight in the shining limo weren’t in the scene, then it just wasn’t fire. Here’s a breakdown:

The Good:

• Like everyone else, I was praying that we wouldn’t have to live through another season two disappointment where Chuck and Blair are over before we can watch them begin. No, the trashy TV gods have smiled on us, and not only was the well-heeled pair still smitten, they were keeping the spark alive by throwing girls into the mix. Lots of them.And while I loved their version of a ménage a trios – “threesome-lite,” if you will – watching Chuck and Blair peruse potential toys at a model casting threw me off. It just didn’t seem like what a teenage couple fresh out of high school would be in to. But hey, kids these days, etc.
  • The name-dropping. Serena gets colon-cleaning advice from Gwyneth Paltrow’s “Goop” while Chuck has a “thing” for family rival Ivanka Trump. Loved it.

The Bad:

• Dan’s makeover. He looked more like an indie band reject than usual, and I wasn’t feeling his look, his stammering, or his constant prying into Serena’s life. We’re three seasons in now – it’s high time Dan does something besides wonder what Serena’s doing.
  • The way it was revealed that Serena’s attention-grabbing antics are the result of her daddy issues. Lame. They could have at least let her crazy last a few episodes so we could see her do something actually shocking.
  • The Return of the Rufus and Lily Love Child. He’s creepy and obvious in a soapy, “Days of our Lives” kind of way that just doesn’t fit with the rest of the show.
  • And speaking of the creeptastic castaway kid: Can Vanessa PLEASE get a man who isn’t using her? Yes, she is annoying, but I’d bet it’s because she’s a plot device instead of a character.

The ‘Gossip’ Worthy:

• B. is heading off to NYU, and as those spoiler photos predicted, she’ll be rooming with that other “b,” Georgina. Can.Not.Wait. I sincerely hope the writers don’t spoil that gem by tying that plot into a pretty bow all in one episode.

« Previous entry
  1. The Cost Of Liposuction

the prettiest girl on Gossip Girl is none other than blake lively, oh i just love her :`:

December 13, 2010 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Share Quotes :

michelle trachtenberg is even more beautiful than Blake Lively of Gossip Girl`*-

October 23, 2010 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  3. Accent Chair `

Gossip Girl have very pretty cast, i like Blake and Michelle coz they are really gorgeous`.'

October 11, 2010 at 8:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Anthony Wilson

Michelle Trachtenberg of Gossip Girl is the most beautiful, she is better than Blake Lively.~-.

July 21, 2010 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  5. Mariah Barnes

I love Blake Lively of Gossip Girl she is so damn pretty.'~"

June 30, 2010 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  6. doc

i am kenyan, all the way in africa, a doctor and i love gossip girl too. o love this comments. especially guy B. i guess the show is just that entertaining!

September 16, 2009 at 3:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. Guy B

Well my wife and I are in our 50's and we like it too. What does that say about us!!!
    The clever writing of the first season seems dead, the headlines are filled with a lot of stories that can flow into this show. I think that Chuck and Blair are the show, mess that up and it's off to TV never land for this show.

September 16, 2009 at 1:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. Anne

I'm 33, married with one and half kids, and am GG obsessed. I too am glad to find I'm in good company. Blair & Chuck were fun as usual, and while the scenes seemed a little more awkwardly plotted than I would have preferred, it was sooo nice not to have to angst over them any more.
    Nate's family drama may turn out to be interesting, but it's his new girl that I'm looking forward to. Watched all the episodes of Joanna Garcia's Privileged (I was bored), and am thrilled she's joining GG as Bree Buckley. She's got the brains, and is a little but not too much older than Nate – hopefully wiser, and can steady his wandering heart a little.
    While Serena's vapidity has returned, I'm enjoying the chemistry between her and Carter. Watched Sebastian Stan in Kings – NOT because I was bored, but because it was an excellent and original show cancelled before its time – and am very glad he's back for a bit on GG.
    I don't mind the hair changes, naturally anything's an improvement over Chuck's season two hair. Everyone's changing and growing up, and transitioning into new life situations, so outward signs of these changes are an obvious step.
    Anyway, am glad my not-so-guilty pleasure has returned :D

September 16, 2009 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  9. CG

Okay, my husband and I are both 33 and we LOVE Gossip Girl! This show is our little guilty pleasure...but now that I know other people my age enjoy it as well, makes me feel less guilty. :-)

September 16, 2009 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  10. Vicki

i was disapointed with the season premier! i love gossip girl but i hate how they speed through the story lines in like half an episode and just gloss over all the good stuff.
    although it was a good episode i need more drama!!! they always biuld up the episodes so much then not deliver.
    and the love child i a good story line – but i agree the actor who plays the love child – not so good.
    more blair and chuck 4 sure!!!
    and the OC sucks!!!

September 15, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jennifer

Sarah, I'm 36 and love this show, too, but I must say that I completely agree with this blog on all levels of the new season. I'm particularly disappointed with this lovechild. He is not how I hoped he would act, look, or enter into the family’s life. And Vanessa is too goodie goodie now; no wonder she is just a device instead of a character. I know some 19 year old Upper East Siders that would make Gossip Girl characters seem like junior highers… I mean, I remember being 18 years old and going to New York City and getting into all sorts of trouble on all levels. You’re trying to turn Gossip Girl into Friends and it won’t flow right, nor do the viewers want things to go that route. I can see a piece of an episode and predict the whole outcome, which is boring. The plots are becoming all too predictable, writers! Give us some spice and ingenuity! I can write better than this, and I’m not a writer…

September 15, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. TC

Ok...love child guy is a little weird, and the story is a little soapy but gosh he is so hot I'm going to put up with it.

September 15, 2009 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sarah

Is it sad that I am 32 years old, married with a child and am totally in love with Gossip Girl? Sadly enough-it's not a show I would let my own kids watch-until they were much older.

It just reminds me how badly I wish I was rich and spoiled-seriously.

September 15, 2009 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Trixie

The Georgina-Blair roommate thing shouldn't come as a shock. A few episodes before the finale, we saw Georgina go to NYU and specifically request Blair as her roomie.

September 15, 2009 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jame

Bring Back the O.C.!

September 15, 2009 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Valley Girl

Not convinced that the love child looks like he would be a product of Rufus and Lily. Instead, he looks like the love child of Ralph Macchio and Ashton Kutcher, only waaaay shorter. Hopefully he's just a fake love child/golddigger and this storyline won't last long.

Overall, thought the season premiere was ho-hum.

September 15, 2009 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  17. JB

How hot was Chace Crawford in his opening shot? OMG!

September 15, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Chantal

I like the love child story line. I just hope that he's a bit of a trouble maker.

I agree with tying Serena's crazy act up in one episode. Let us chew on the possibilities for a bit.

September 15, 2009 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  19. maggie

i agree with all! i just wonder how long its going to drag out with this creepy love child kid. while its a good story line i hope its fast then episode 3 that everyone figures it out.... and dan looks like he's trying to hard to fit in with the rich life. he was one of my favorite characters, but unless he loses the "rich b–ch" mentality, i may find someone new to pine over...

September 15, 2009 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Kenneth Stokes

Yea, the creepy kid is really soapy. And it isn't just Dan's makeover, it seemed to me that all the guys picked up some new freak hair stylist.

September 15, 2009 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |