September 14th, 2009

Backstage at MTV VMA's: Taylor Swift fan club

Yeah, Kanye's unsettling display is all the talk of artists coming backstage. If the red carpet was all about the coming Michael Jackson tributes, then the show was about Taylor Swift and Kanye.

Taylor Swift

Green Day frontman, Billie Joe Armstrong, told a few reporters backstage, "She's young, she'll get over it. But, he needs to get over it." Armstrong's bandmate,  Tre' Cool added, "He needs to apologize, definitely. That's about as low as you go."

All American Rejects' Tyson Ritter came backstage with a drink in his hand to say Swift should let it roll off. When someone asked if Swift cried over the episode, Ritter answered, "Oh, God, I hope not. She's got like ten million records. She should just stand on her fat wallet and pile of money and cry on top of that."

Then, shortly after the sweet moment of the night– when Beyonce came on stage to accept her Video of the Year trophy and invited Swift on stage– Taylor Swift came backstage to pose for still photographers and answer a few questions from dotcom and print reporters.

This was bigger hub-bub back here than the Madonna appearance. Cameras flashing, tape recorders in her face, the "Best Female Video" winner proved nothing but a picture of grace. We asked her to describe what occured from her perspective. Swift said,  “ Well, I was excited to be on stage because I just won the award. And then I was excicted that Kanye West was onstage. Then, I wasn’t excited anymore”. She noted that she’s been getting tons of text messages of support and so many other artists have been supportive here at the show.  As for Beyonce's on-stage invitation,  “I couldn’t love Beyonce more”, she added.

Asked if she was a fan of Kanye’s she answered, her voice quieting, “Yeah, he’s Kanye West”. As the media pushed and her publicist pulled her away. “I don’t want to start anything I am just having a great night”. See all the winning videos on MTV.com.

What do you think? Do you think this VMA episode is going to hurt Kanye's career?

1. chloe

I love the song She wears high heals and I wear sneakers. My name is chloe and I live in vail C,O I'm 8 years old.Me and my friends love singing your songs.

December 7, 2009 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Robert

jay d and 2piece What a couple harmless blow holes. Quit crying about slavery and the plight of the Black man.Nobody cares what we care about is be responsible for yourself and your people cling onto a role model that makes a difference and does the right thing.Quit crying and threatning you do not intimidate anyone and certainly not me. And yes, unlike you I would tell you the same thing if you showed up at my front door.

September 18, 2009 at 3:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Robert

jay d and 2piece What a couple harmless blow holes. Quit friggin crying about slavery and the plight of the Black man.Nobody cares what we care about is be responsible for yourself and your people cling onto a role model that makes a difference and does the right thing.Quit crying and threatning you do not intimidate anyone and certainly not me. And yes, unlike you I would tell you the same thing if you showed up at my front door.

September 18, 2009 at 3:01 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Robert

September 18th, 2009 1:44 pm ET

with all these negative comments about being rude, i hope you people all feel the same way bout joe wilson and the President of the United States.

Are you kidding me Carla apples to oranges is too close of a comparision More like apples to rain gutters. That Is Joe Wilson's job!
    We have congress in place to call out the pres or else we would be some sort of 3rd world country with a dictator. THINK THINK THINK

September 18, 2009 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Carla

September 18, 2009 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. SunnyCA

Kanye West is a has been. Too little talent and too much ego. How dare he steal Taylor's moment like that. I guess it is the only way he can get his name in the papers these days...he sure can't make it for his music.

Grow up Kanye...the world doesn't revolve around you!

September 14, 2009 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. ana

OMG does this guy not know what a bonehead he is....first of all he's not that famous and /or popular and to act like that and think he can be forgiven........i give my hats off to pink and katy pery now they are celebs.....I have never like him and i think his star just blew out the idiot!!!who can start a k west hate club let me know!!!!

September 14, 2009 at 10:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. TeeTee

Jay D you have no clue about anything and as usual the black culture thinks murder is cool. Do you get it! Oh and by the way it takes alot of talent talk about token awards to curse and holler on a record how about stop hiding behind all the cursing and try something that takes real talent like white people do and sing your heart out! Oh by the way report me to no class Jesse!

September 14, 2009 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  9. TeeTee

Sureal you hit it right on the nose!

September 14, 2009 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. kristin

kanye west is a racist and is so jelous i am 11 and i look up to her and kanye is a bad example for kids like me .I LOVE YOU TAYLOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 14, 2009 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. tina hughes

If kanye west mom was still alive she would have rolled over in her grave at her sons extremely rude behavior. The awards are far from racial and Beyonce had her due as well. To steel a young performers moment like he did that by the way all the apologies in the world could never get back in inexusable and I personally will never listen to another song of his.Taylor Swift has more talent in her little finger than Kanye has in his whole body with his uneducated street raps that take little talent.

September 14, 2009 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Stacey Britt

The display of Mr. West's behavior last night was one that could be expected from any 5 year old that did'nt get their way. I sat with my jaw dropped at this poor display. Thankfuly the grace and beauty of Taylor Swift as well as the humble display by Beyonce gives me hope there are still TRUE ARTIST that I would prefer my 11 year old daughter to look up to. I hope he has come to realize that his sales have just went down the charts as well as boost the sales of these two beautiful and wonderful ladies.

September 14, 2009 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Boycott Kanye!

It is Ironic that last night was also a tribute to Michael Jackson. Kanye has said that he is going to be the next Elvis, King of Pop, neither one of the two could handle the stress, both were alienated by their fans for the majority of their career, they both lived in a drug and or alcohol induced state trying to live up to their iconic status and unfortunately neither were truly recognized for it until their death.

Unfortunately Kanye will go this way too but he is traveling this path without ever having had the talent or professional respect that Elvis or the King of Pop had acheived. History will remember him for his jackass antics rather than the substance of his music and the moral of his character. He will get what he deserves as I don't think any individual would want to endure such a life.

On a positive note....Kudos to Taylor Swift for following that moment up with a live, innovative, and real performance. Unlike Kanye who has no lyrical talent, synthesizes everything and who's performance would have run out of breath after the first run to the subway train...literally. Taylor is nearly half the age of Kanye yet posesses twice the range, twice the talent and class which is obviously incomparable.

As for Beyonce....she is the best! Words don't do the woman justice so I won't even try.

Buy Beyonce! Buy Taylor Swift! Boycott and so long to a pompous windbag! Apologies or not.....

September 14, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mimi

unfortunatly, it's true about the race issue thing. Come on ppl, we all know that it still exists and sadly enough it always will. People like Kanye' are ignorant and always will be in life. Kanye' is a racist he's made that very clear...and ppl that support his behavoir are ignorant as well. I agree that Kanye' should be taught a lesson...But honestly he's so gone that he probally will never learn. If it had been reversed on the skin color, sadly enough it would've been a seriously big deal then, NAACP and all type's of African American organizations would be rallying to ban the entertainer...so why not ban Kanye'???
    I just wished ppl would just stop looking at the outward appearance, it's how the person carries themselves, classy or ignorant... Beyonce' has really set the standard, she's amazing, and Taylor is absolutly an angel.
    Kanye' is the devil!!

September 14, 2009 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  15. L

Taylor Swift keep your head up!!! Beyonce all i can say CLASSY!!!

September 14, 2009 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
  16. L

Hey!!!!! Kanye West you and your 15 minutes of fame are done buddy lol lol lol a..hole!!!!

September 14, 2009 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mimi

I am outraged by kanye's actions. I used to be a fan of his, but not anymore. What nerve he has to get on stage and steal her glory, I love Beyonce', but that specific award was for the video and personally I think Taylor deserved that award, it was more than just booty shaking.. It had a story to it!! But regardless, everyone will have their own opinions, I think Beyonce' really showed how sweet she really is to let Taylor have her moment. But as for Kanye', he is really sick and needs help, I seriously think that this will and should cause people to look at him differently now. He really showed America how screwed up he really is.

September 14, 2009 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  18. cindy

Taylor didn't deserve that, Beyonce' went above and beyond and yes it is Race Related! The "rappers" are given money, hype, women and glory as well as being honored for rapping about beating/killing/being antisocial and are well paid for it...West is the perfect example of this and people have created this 7 yrs old brat- monster! If it had been a white guy against a black woman it would have been the white guy on his knees begging for his life while Obama\Jackson & Sharpton scream "off with his head"! Nothing has changed and nothing will change!

September 14, 2009 at 4:23 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Sureal

What is the disturbing is the lack of common courtesy throughout culture. From the highest office in the land being disrespected, to the tennis courts and now to the arts. Just the lack of civility in culture is alarming. It seems to get worse and worse due to the promotion of narcissism increases in our society.

September 14, 2009 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Diane

Kanye has issues..not just drinking problems but a severe inferiority complex. If he has to take the spotlight every chance he has, he is very insecure and jealous of others' talents. He needs to get help before he self destructs. These acts of stupidity have been tolerated for too long now. The entertainment world will listen to us when we stop listening and stop watching him. Many greater talents than he caused their own demise. He is next and I can't wait to see his racist butt kicked out and locked out permanently. Kudos to Taylor and Beyonce for rising above this loser.

September 14, 2009 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  21. JP

I was so embarrassed for Beyonce, Taylor and Kanye. I had to run out of the room cause I couldn't watch. He really disappointed me because I am a BIG Kanye fan. I don't Listen to Taylors music but she is a young woman who earned that award. Kanye lacked some self control last night and I normally stand up for the guy but he didn't leave me a leg to stand on. I would like to apologize to all the taylor Swift fans out there! He really screwed this one up.

September 14, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Don

I was very impressed with Beyonce, she is beautiful inside and out. Taylor Swift handled it like someone beyond her years and Kanye couldn't handle it (his drink) and I'm sure this is the beginning of his long slide down.............

September 14, 2009 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Linda

Ken in NC! So true..as a child of the 60's and 70's myself, a protest was a protest and not just a hissy fit...enough people can make a change..maybe Mr. West will pay heed, but I wouldn't bet on it. Very shameful. HIs arrogance cannot get him throught this one.

September 14, 2009 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Ken in NC

I'm a 61 year old Black man that loves most music, including some Country. I have several pieces by Kanye West and some by Taylor Swift and liked them all until last night. Now I know how young people can love an artist and get angry at that artist and not purchase for a few weeks but they forget so easily and return to supporting the very artist that may have angered them only a few months earlier. Well this "Old Man" from the boycotts of the 60's knows how prevent one artist from making a profit from the sale of his music. As the result of his actions last night I will no longer purchase any music that is in any way associated with Kenya West. He stole from a child and he crossed the line there. Now I know the loss of my expenditures on his music will cause him no financial pain but it will give me great satisfaction to know that I am not supporting one who has no manners.

September 14, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Bryan

The words and feelings I would use to express my disgust, anger and vindications with Kanye would not be allowed on this site, so to avoid this from not being posted I will leave it to you to figure out the emotions and words that would of been displayed here.

September 14, 2009 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  26. DG

Taylor Swift & Beyonce' are class acts and Kayne West is classvoid, need we say anything else!

September 14, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  27. william Brock

Kanye West is without a doubt, the classless idiot he exemplifies.

September 14, 2009 at 3:24 pm | Report abuse |
  28. amazed as always

why would anyone think this will hurt his career – if americans accept (almost celebrate) the beating of a recording artists girlfriend, the rape charge of a basketball player and the conviction of a dog killing physo football player – why in the world would this even begin to touch Kenya's career in a negative way????? Get real – this will marginally increase sales – it will not positviely affect his career to the extent of the fore-mentioned but positvie it will be. And no alcholoh at the MTV awards HA! Whatever.

September 14, 2009 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Phyllis

I had decided to get all my Kanye CD's out and destroy them with a hammer, but then I remembered, "oh yeah, I don't have any". Jerk.

September 14, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  30. ava

Kanye West is classless.Taylor Swift is a talented little angel.

September 14, 2009 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Robert

Dumb move Kanye. You looked like an idiot.

September 14, 2009 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  32. cindy

I don't particularly care for Taylor Swift, but she did not deserve this...she handled it with maturity and grace as did Beyonce. Kayne should be ashamed of himself, if I were his mother I would be so upset with his behaviour. HE should apologize again, and this time without excuses, or saying it was because he has to keep it real.....What a loser...

September 14, 2009 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Art

Who's Kanye West? Never heard of him.

September 14, 2009 at 2:28 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Jay D

Black people have been taking the backseat and been railroaded on white media venues for decades, and Kanye can see (and is not afraid to say it) when "token" awards are given to white artists above black artists merely as a mean to suppress the greatness that we exude amongst our peers when given equal opportunity.

He is the Nat Turner of the entertainment industry! Nat murdered his slave master, his slave master's wife AND his slave master's children. Then proceeded to perform the very same to the neighbors and the neighbors' neighbors. When asked if his slave master mistreated him, he replied "No...he and his family were very nice people".

So... If you don't get why he murdered all of them then you just DON'T GET IT! Kanye is nobody's slave!

LOVE and RESPECT! I don't watch MTV at ALL, but I wish I would have saw that LIVE!

Equality or Death (even if by way of character assassination).

September 14, 2009 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  35. annie

Mothers use this incident to teach your children! He is the perfect example of how horrible rude and selfish people can be. I always tell my kids how I expect them to behave, now I have a perfect learning tool on line to show them how to not behave! and how utterly stupid, classless, and disrespectful actually looks! Take responsibility Kanye, be a man, grow up and join the HUMAN race.

September 14, 2009 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  36. 2piece

ALMOST AS BAD as Joe Wilson shouting "You lie" during President Barack Obama's speech. All this talk about Rev Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson would have done this or that. Well they havent, and right fully so. WRONG IS WRONG (Joe Wilson and Kanye). I think mainstream America should run to the defense of the BLACK President with the same fervor that you run to the defense of the POOR little innocent WHITE woman. Again, Kanye and Wilson was wrong, but somehow we seem to put a MORE NEGATIVE spin on essentionally the same types of behavior when a BLACK person does it.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

September 14, 2009 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  37. George

’ve had enough with his attitude. Last night was the last straw. I deleted ALL Kayne music from my computer. I will no longer buy anything of his. I bought anything and everything iTunes had from Taylor Swift. She’s a class act.

I really hope this humbles Kayne somewhat. There is no denying his talent, but he’s so rude and entitled.

September 14, 2009 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  38. George

I've had enough with his attitude. Last night was the last straw. I deleted ALL Kayne music from my computer. I will no longer buy anything of his. I bouagh anything and everything iTunes had from Taylor Swift. She's a class act.

I really hope this humbles Kayne somewhat. There is no denying his talent, but he's so rude and entitled.

September 14, 2009 at 2:09 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Memphis

Wht does a little group of twits come to mind...who where the again?..oh yeah, Dixie Chunkers...

September 14, 2009 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  40. The Voice of Reason

This should hurt Kanye's career. What he did was downright disrepectful and hurtful to Taylor. Whether he agreed with the outcome, she won and therefore deserved her moment in the sun. He ruined that for her, and that is something that is unforgiveable. Just because he wants to get tanked and act like an idiot doesn't mean that others should be hurt because of it. Kanye: Grow up and stop it with these baby-like temper tantroms. As an artist it is obvious you have talent, but as a person, it is obvious you have no class.

September 14, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  41. whiteadmiral

KAYNE WEST YOUR A BULLY !! to seek attention you pick on Taylor Swift. Why is that ? Because she a girl ? Because shes country?
    Because your a class..ass..person? I anyone out there who feels you wronged a fellow singer whether it be rap, country, rock&roll should BOYCOTT YOU. BOYCOTT KANYE WEST DON'T SPEND A DIME ON HIM. BOYCOTT BOYCOTT YOUR A BULLY

September 14, 2009 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  42. MAD

The question has been asked, "why turn this into a race issue?"....I will tell you why. Because if a white person had done that to an African-American/Black American, then it would still be a race issue. It is about race. It is and always has been. Kanye is a racist. His music and videos both show that. A white person could not get away with half the crap that he has. You would have the NAACP, Sharton, Jackson and maybe even President Obama saying how stupid the white person acted and saying that we need to apologize and be removed. Maybe a VMA summit is in order.

September 14, 2009 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Alicia

Humm, so let's see here:

You just made yourself into the village idiot with a failed attempt at "standing up" for the wife of the owner of the label whose payroll you're on. Um, yea. I'd cut his contract and let him walk home.

The child won fair and square. Simple. Who is anyone to say Beyonce is the obvious choice because she wasn't.

September 14, 2009 at 1:31 pm | Report abuse |
  44. nitsy

West yet again proves money does not buy class or manners. I'm sure his mother would be very proud.....but who knows, maybe she was just as ignorant. So he has lots of money.....big deal. He is still a lousy person whose karma is going to come back one way or the other. He should learn from Beyonce what graciousness, manners and class is. I never even cared about Taylor Swift till last night. Kanye just sold me her new cd.

September 14, 2009 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Jeanine

This man is a joke.....He isn't worth the time on radio and he isn't worth our time now. Taylor will be able to look at this in 30 years when she is still huge in the music industry and he will be a washed up has been.....he already is one....!! Taylor might not have the voice that Beyonce does but she has just as much class....

September 14, 2009 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  46. joe peoria

"Yea, look at me! I'm Kanye West! I'm a publicity hound! I will ruin what me be someone's once-in-a-lifetime moment! Hey look at me over here! I'm Kanye West! Look at me!"

September 14, 2009 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Missteareuss

Kanye is an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beyonce ironically won “best video of the year” (as per his rude interuption, commenting about Beyonce’s video) at the end of the show!! Give Taylor Swift her moment, as she won “best female video of the year”.
    Who is Kanye to go up on stage when the moment had NOTHING to do with him!?!?!? If someone sees him going towards the stage next time, they should stop him ~ knowing he is only going to do something disrespectful, stupid and rude … afterall … it’s Kanye!!!!!!!! His mom may be gone (but many people lose thier parents, etc – it’s NO excuse), but he must have manners and respect for women!!! Taylor handled it like the professional she is, proud of you girl!!! And Beyonce … your compassion towards Taylor and the unfortunate moment brought tears to my eyes (literally)!!! You are such a CLASSY lady!! Kanye should learn from you!! You are so amazing!!!!!! Proud to support women like you both in this crazy industry … true examples of a professional!!!! Learn from women, Kanye!!!!!!!!!!!

September 14, 2009 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  48. jon NYC

it should hurt his career but unfortunately it most likely won't. Kanye has made a career out of acting like a 6 year old. the more attention we give him, the more false recognition we allow

September 14, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Missteareuss

Kanye is an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beyonce ironically won "best video of the year" (as per his rude interuption, commenting about Beyonce's video) at the end of the show!! Give Taylor Swift her moment, as she won "best female of the year". Who is Kanye to go up on stage when the moment had NOTHING to do with him!?!?!? If someone sees him going towards the stage next time, they should stop him ~ knowing he is only going to do something disrespectful, stupid and rude ... afterall ... it's Kanye!!!!!!!! His mom may be gone (but many people lose thier parents, etc – it's NO excuse), but he must have manners and respect for women!!! Taylor handled it like the professional she is, proud of you girl!!! And Beyonce ... your compassion towards Taylor and the unfortunate moment brought tears to my eyes (literally)!!! You are such a CLASSY lady!! Kanye should learn from you!! You are so amazing!!!!!! Proud to support women like you both in this crazy industry ... true examples of a professional!!!! Learn from women, Kanye!!!!!!!!!!!

September 14, 2009 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Mike

An apology means nothing. This is the second time he's stormed the stage at an award show. I hope he gets called out on every interview he does, and then gets cuf off when he tries to plug his album.

September 14, 2009 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Angie

I was appalled at the way Kanye West ruined Taylor Swift's acceptance speech last night on the VMA awards. How would Kanye feel if a singer like Jay-Z (hypothetically) jumped up during one of Kanye's awards to tell the world that Kanye didn't deserve it. I gurantee Kanye would be angry. Kanye needs to learn when to open his mouth and when to keep it closed. I know that I have lost all repect for him. Congratulations Taylor! Your grace has not gone unnoticed.

September 14, 2009 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  52. carol

I HOPE SO! I WAS A FAN NO MORE! NO CLASS!

September 14, 2009 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Smiley

I had JUST seen the Jay-z, Rhianna, Kanye video for the new song on Jay-Z's new album. I LIKED the song, even though I've never been fond of Kanye. I will now however, not knowingly purchase any records from anyone that associates with Kanye. So from my perspective, it will hurt not only his, but those who choose to associate with the biggest JERK that ever attempted to make something called music.

September 14, 2009 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
  54. roboman

kanye west should be band from all mtv shows forever. And his producers should band him too. There is no reason for what he did.

September 14, 2009 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Jessie

Kanye = zero class! disgusting

September 14, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Linda

Kanye is an imbecile. Apparently, his mother did not teach him any manners whatsoever. And if she did, then he chose to disrespect her memory. He is an embarrasment to his peers, wether they choose to admit it or not. He is a legend in his own mind, and undeserving of any further attention by anyone worth their weight in the business. Shameful and stupid boy. Yes, boy.

September 14, 2009 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Rose

Kanye West is a LOSER and yes we should boycot his music! What would his Mother think of him now!! How disrespectful was that.
    *****NO LONGER A FAN OF KANYE WEST!!!****

September 14, 2009 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  58. streetSmart

that was funny.

What people dont understand is Kayne was shopping at IKEA 8 years ago.

He's better than Gov. Spitzer...

STREET SMART 2009

September 14, 2009 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  59. TESS

Kanye West might have millions in his pocket................but there is one thing in this world he can never afford..................CLASS!

September 14, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Marcella Carrera

That is the thing, Taylor is not a sweet little girl! She a strong woman handling a very difficult profession. This things happen and there will be other Kayne's in her world. From his point of view you can't ignore that for generations blacks have been passed up for many awards. He lived that, and seems to me that he is very resentful; he might have his reasons but etiquette and good behavior needs to be practice at all the times with everyone.

September 14, 2009 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  61. Kimberly

Can anyone seriously be that deluded or is this all just to get us and everyone else talking about Kanye? It's probably all just a ploy to keep his name in everyone's mouth. I just hope that this stunt crossed the line enough to actually hurt his album sales. Beyonce is THE most talented, beautiful, and classy woman in the music industry, and from the way she handled this nonesense looks like Taylor is following in her footsteps.

September 14, 2009 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
  62. Jenn

Okay is the JLo listed below the actual JLO? All I have to say is B.S. JLo. If that had been you on that stage and Kanye had walked up grabbed tha mic out of your hand and interrupted your acceptance speech you know dang right well that you would have been embarrassed and pissed. For you to say that she didn't deserve the award is totally ridiculous. She is extremely talented. IDIOACRACY????? Are you serious? Beyonce won VIDEO OF THE YEAR. What a wonderful catagorie to win. I am so proud to be a BEYONCE fan. That woman has class. Remember JLo when you started out many people said you didn't have talent and look at you know.

September 14, 2009 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  63. Robb

Sadly, it won't. He seems to be another example of our loss of civility and our lack of respect for one another. Certainly, his generation is rife with it, but we can also see it in Congress during the president's speech. We aren't evolving as a society, we're slipping backwards - I am embarrassed for all of us that we condone that type of behavior – for what does it tell our children? That it OK to be disrespectful, to be disruptive, to be rude and self-absorbed. That is the truly sad part of the whole thing – that we don't use it as we teaching opportunity for our young. We just say, "Oh, that's just Kanye."

September 14, 2009 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  64. Wil

What self-deluded universe does Kanye live in that he thinks anyone cares what he thinks? Or that he has any insight at all? He's just a musician. He makes sounds. Obviously not a genius. Obviously not developed in any other arena.

September 14, 2009 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  65. JH

This is horrible to say, but they should've kept Kanye's mouth wired shut after his accident! The guy makes good music, but needs an attitude adjustment big time!

September 14, 2009 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  66. Steve

no class

September 14, 2009 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  67. Lorraine

What Kayne did was definitely disrespectful and rude but racist? Why does everything have to be turned into a race issue? Why does he have to be called a "a thug" which as a racial undertone?

Not all hip hop artists are "thugs". Beyonce's husband is a rapper but he's not a "thug." Kayne is crazy and probably would have done it anyway if Taylor was black, although a black woman would have slapped him and took the mic back.

Now his comments about Bush were hilarious and probably true..i.e Katrina where he left mostly black people to starve and die for days

September 14, 2009 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  68. Laura

Paual Kanye had an educated mother, so I don't think this is a matter of home training. I think he's got a personality disoder that's aggravated by alcohol, racism, (on HIS part), and money. He doesn't have to get help because people buy his records and he's got enough money to get away with crap like this. He's a lowlife scumbag who would be in prison without a record deal. Being from Chicago, I LOVED Kanye's last song. I will not buy anything from him again and if the record labels have any backbone, (which they don't), they will force him to get the help he needs. They needed a real man like Vince Gill there last night to, once again, put Kanye in his place! What a scum bag he is!

September 14, 2009 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  69. Susan

I am a 42 year old African American I personally like Taylor Swift’s video; it tells a story, I even turn the song up in my car when I hear it on the radio and my 11-year-old daughter and I sing along. I like many other well-rounded African American can appreciate ALL MUSIC AND ALL VIDEO’S.

If Kanye thinks that he can ride the coattail of his mothers death on this one he is sadly mistaken. There is no excuse for his actions toward Taylor Swift. The African American community is not behind you on this one Kanye! You are a disgrace to our race!

September 14, 2009 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  70. Lauren

He needs to give other people their moment, why does he always have to go an ruin them for everyone else? Was it reallllly that hard to wait and post his thoughts on his Twitter page?

September 14, 2009 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  71. jen

@ sharon. I dont see how this even REMOTELY interrupted beyonce's moment. she was classy and gracious enough to allow taylor swift to come and finish her speech. beyonce has had many moments in the VMA spotlight and this was taylor's VERY FIRST. i applaud beyonce for being so classy. she gave up her moment in her own free will, nothing was stolen from her as it was from taylor. kanye is a jerk. im seriously not going to listen to any of his music anymore. hes a sorry excuse for a man.

September 14, 2009 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  72. serge

I'll agree with what everyone else is saying about Kanye. He is such an egomaniac and attention grabber. You're a 32 yr old acting like an 11, "well so and so deserved this or that." Truth of the matter is you're a spoiled bigot who sings crappy music. You had no right to go up on stage. Get over yourself and lose your grandiose pomposity.

September 14, 2009 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  73. kim

Racism? OH PUH-LEEZ. Seriously. Kanye should totally apologize to Beyonce too. He completely put her in a position she clearly had no desire to be in (as evidenced by her response). I will say there were two good things to come of this: 1) Taylor showed amazing poise and grace in rolling with the punches. And that will only serve her well as she goes through her career; and 2) Beyonce just gained a ton of fans by showing what an incredibly classy and amazing woman she truly is.

September 14, 2009 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  74. Denise

He is so full of himself, I don't like Kanye West I never have, his music sucks big time.... And I believed he is a racist like ALL racist PIGS he should be banned from attending any CLASS ACT functions.

So sorry for taylor that she had to go through that CRAP... Kep your head up Ms. Swift and you just gained lots of NEW fans.

September 14, 2009 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  75. Kanye is a Loser

Jesse – Kanye has fans??? It isn't a matter of liking Taylor Swift or not, that has nothing to do with it. Is there some reason Kanye thinks his opinion matters? It isn't the Kanye awards show and there are many people who think his so called music is crap. Does Kanye think he is so superior to everyone one? He's just showing how he lacks any sort of class whatsoever and he needs to go away. LOSER!

September 14, 2009 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  76. Debra R

What is it with Kanye and Jamie Foxx? You don't see this kind of crap from Will Smith who is both a better singer and actor than either of these losers.

September 14, 2009 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  77. vicki

Kanye should have apologizied to Beyonce also because he put her in the wrong spot which also took away some of her thunder when she got her award

September 14, 2009 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  78. Jesse

I don't think Kanye fans care about Taylor Swift or her music. There will be no effect at all.

September 14, 2009 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  79. paual

This is not a race issue guys, Its clearly an issue of "home training " and west has none. I must admit that I was surprised that swift won because I have never seen her video and have seen the others often
    (I have 12 and 15 year old girls). But she did win. My best moment was Janet and after that I could not listen to the Hose who was Crude and I did not like the hanging seen even though I live lady gaga

September 14, 2009 at 9:55 am | Report abuse |
  80. Debra R

Where is Tim McGraw when you need him? He knows how to respect women and treat men who abuse them.

September 14, 2009 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  81. Debra R

Kanye West is a racist. He has always been and always will be a spoiled, ignorant child who appearently did not have proper parents to tech him manners. He is a narcissistic meglomaniac. Taylor, you my dear are a class act. Beyonce, you too are classy. Wgere were the real MEN? Someone should have removed this loser and thrown his sorry backside out. He should be banner forever from the MTV awards just like Adrew Dice Clay and if MTV does not ban him they are as racist as Kanye. BAN KANYE from MTV for LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 14, 2009 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  82. sharon

The apology will only work for Kanye and Taylor. The fans will never forget. Beyonce's husband should chastise Kanye for embarassing his wife and interrupting her "moment" also. I am sad for the whole incident.

September 14, 2009 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  83. Steve in PA

There was no excuse for what he did. He not only disrespected Taylor, he disrespected everyone who voted for her. Did she deserve to win? I don't know. The people who voted thought she did and that's what counts.

What I do know, she has more talent and class then Kanye will ever have. If you ever listen to her songs, which she writes herself, you will see the talent in her words. She tells stories in her songs(Romeo & Juliet for example), unlike Kayne who can say a good 10 words tops, over and over and over again and call it a masterpiece. He's a sad excuse for an artist no matter how you look at it. He should be banned for what he did, but since he said he's sorry, it probably won't happen.

If it was racism, that's hard to tell. There has been way too much shouting about racism on every little thing that happens now. Because he's black and she's white and won an award another black person was up for, doesn't mean anything other then people recogizing her talent as an artist.

He needs to grow up and act like an adult. Not everything revolves around planet Kanye.

September 14, 2009 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  84. IndianCraig

Should the colors have been reversed there would be public outcry and constant soap box verbiage. How absolutly rude and self serving to steal the thunder from another artist, and such a young one as well. Did you see her face, could you not feel the fear and confusion. Should his intent have been physical in nature, who was there to help,
    the damage is no differant. This is yet another terrible role model example lay'd out in front of the world. Just another thug let loose to set a bad example for the young and impressionable. There is no explanation in the world, or wordsor any kind, he can utter to make this right or in his defense. Of course he still doesn't think he did anything wrong. Just doesn't get it and never will. What a waste, what a sorry example for his art form, friends, piers, family. What a waste -

September 14, 2009 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  85. Letici

Kanye is well at the bottom when it comes to his manners. What a shame. Stop supporting this idiot.

September 14, 2009 at 9:32 am | Report abuse |
  86. kia

@ Jon Gray, I totally agree. I am an african american woman I you are right Jackson & Sharpton would be all over it. Wrong is wrong no matter what color and West actions was totally disrespectful. I WAS A FAN OF WEST, but now I feel his music should be boycotted.

September 14, 2009 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  87. No more

Kanye who?

September 14, 2009 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  88. disgusted in Chicago

When is the media going to call this what it was. a very racist move by a complete racist bigot.

September 14, 2009 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
  89. Jon Gray

Where is the media outrage? If a white man had done to a young African American woman what Kanye West did to Taylor Swift there would be nonstop coverage, plus video taped statements from Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton. There is such a double standard in news reporting!

September 14, 2009 at 8:33 am | Report abuse |
  90. karen

I didn't watch the awards show, but I've been listening to the radio this morning. Who does he think he is? I believe he made another comment about being the next Elvis Presley. NOT!!! I hope the media boycotts him as well as fans. His head has gotten to big for his body. Taylor Swift has some great tunes and congratulations to Beyonce for being so gracious.

September 14, 2009 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  91. REED fallow

This behavior by him was inexcuseabe and raciest in it's content and act. On national television or any other public stage this deviant behavior is unacceptable.

September 14, 2009 at 5:37 am | Report abuse |
  92. Faith

Kanye West needs to be taught how to behave. What I saw tonight was one of the most disgraceful displays of arrogance I've ever witnessed and Taylor Swift looked like a deer in the headlights. If MTV has any standards at all, they will NEVER allow that man into any event hosted by them again. Nobody is that big a star that they should be allowed to be so offensive.

September 14, 2009 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
  93. Jeremiah

This incident will affect Kanye West's career. A popular artist requires aspects such as being respectful, and being humble etc. By being dis-respectful; nterupting Taylor Swift's special moment, he angers almost everyone who saw the event. The internet will spread the news to lots of people.

September 14, 2009 at 3:29 am | Report abuse |
  94. AnissaATX

Kudos to Beyonce, Kudos to Swift. I hope Kanye is banned from next years event.

September 14, 2009 at 3:15 am | Report abuse |
  95. Ryan

Hope it hurts his career, he is a prick.

September 14, 2009 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  96. Steve

We should boycott any music by Kayne and teach him some manners.. No class...

September 14, 2009 at 1:38 am | Report abuse |
  97. Amber

YES! its going to hurt his career it was very ignorant & rude of him to interupt her moment. Well now Chris Brown can relax the spotlight is on Kanye.

September 14, 2009 at 1:36 am | Report abuse |
  98. Monica Madrid

Boycott Kanye! Boycott Kanye! Boycott Kanye! Boycott Kanye!
    Did I mention, there should be a boycott on everything Kanye! HIs is a total idiot, and his behavior was completely unacceptable! No one deserves to be treated the way he treated Taylor! He is an immature child who pouts when he doesn't get his way. Grow up Kanye! You're an idiot! Boycott Kanye! Boycott Kanye! Boycott Kanye! Boycott Kanye! Boycott Kanye

September 14, 2009 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  99. Arthemisa

I don't really follow any artist's career anymore, but that was very rude of Kanye. From what I've read about his tantrums in different media outlets, he seems to have some sort of bias against non-black people in the music business. It must've been also a great ego boost for him to go ruin the night to a teenager. He's an adult, and no matter how famous he may be, that does not give him the right to act like a spoiled brat.

September 14, 2009 at 12:57 am | Report abuse |
  100. Rugbyguy

Sadly it wont. it's just annoying and very disrespectful. He needs to be banned from award shows or have security that prevents non winners from running up on stage. The Dice man was banned in the late 80's early 90's from the VMA's or the The Movie awards. What if it had been say the Traveling Wilburys or Pearl Jam, he came up and interupted? I think music fans would be more up in arms...

September 14, 2009 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  101. JLo

I don't think this will hurt Kanye one bit, in fact I think it will (please excuse the pun) make him "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger"! He's Kayne, and although what he did was very stupid and disrespectful it non the less expressed a valid point that not all the people watching the show are idiot's. Taylor Swift maybe be very talented and deserving person but the fact that she won over an obvious choice like Beyonce was out right Idiocracy! What a coincidence that right after her win she was also scheduled to perform, a performance that no doubt would know be more poignant having just won an award. Kayne was simply expressing his disgust with the show's misguided and sad display of staged pageantry of awarding the biggest sell out's. Granted Kayne himself isn't any cleaner, he at least has been a vocal voice regarding the way most of these award shows are blatantly rigged. From product placement to movie tie-in's MTV and many other mediums feel it necessary to dominate all avenues of mass media synergy to accommodate the highest bidder. Was what Kayne did wrong? Yes! Was his point valid? You'd better believe it.

September 14, 2009 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  102. Erin

YES! I think this WILL and SHOULD hurt Kanye's career! What kind of grown man would act like that to a little girl? In my eyes, he is suppose to be a role model for younger people, and this incident proves that he has no moral values when it comes to respecting a young woman. He knew, when he got on that stage and acted like a fool, that he had a whole nation watching him. I don't think he stopped to think about the image of young "rappers and pop stars" at all. He should have represented himself and his fellow "clique" better than what he did. Had Beyonce won an award on the CMA's, she would have been greeted and treated respectfully. Even though I don't really care much for rappers and pop stars, this just goes to prove to me that country artists have more class and style. And when some new young star comes there way, they don't moan and groan about it to the world, they just step it up and do their best. So to you TAYLOR SWIFT, congratulations! I hope you can come out with some more amazing material this year and go back to the VMA's next year and whoop ALL of their butts!!!! Good job girl!

September 14, 2009 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  103. Janie

I thought Kanye West was going to say that MTV didn't like black people.

September 14, 2009 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
  104. steve

Does the world revolve around Kayne West? Great artist but needs to get over himself... he should have KWTV (Kayne West TV) and award himself all the awards if he's that obsessed. Great thought by Beyonce, she should teach Kayne some class!!

September 14, 2009 at 12:36 am | Report abuse |
  105. ale

After what he pulled off here he definitley lost a lot of fans. Very bad move kanye. Seriously grow up.

September 14, 2009 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  106. sharon

I think if he doesn't apologize it will. I think people still sympathize with him, because of the loss of his mother. No excuse, but maybe he was under the influence to behave like that.

September 14, 2009 at 12:26 am | Report abuse |
  107. tommy

Kanye West is a Racist.

September 14, 2009 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
  108. Deena

I think it was unforgiveable. Whether or not you agree with the voting result, this was this young lady's moment, and he stole it by being an idiot. I think he should be banned from future VMA shows. He's lost his mind.

September 14, 2009 at 12:21 am | Report abuse |
  109. caramel

It should because its no excuse for ignorance! He always have these temper tantrums, enough is enough and he needs to grow up! I couldnt be more disgusted and hopes that MTV band him for his negative actions on and off stage...He has got to learn!!!

September 14, 2009 at 12:20 am | Report abuse |