September 14th, 2009

Ari's rival returns to 'Entourage'

"Entourage" took a week off last week but the ninth episode returned in pretty good form. I was glad to see a familiar face comeback to the show - "anti-Ari/nemesis/rival" Adam Davies made an appearance.

Zac Efron

Ari and Davies' past battles have been epic, and this latest bout pitted the two against each other for the right to represent "Mr. High School Musical" himself: Zac Efron.

Efron sided with Ari, and Davies gets knocked down. However, he's still got a big punch to throw, and comes back swinging. Davies makes a play for Lloyd, offering him the opportunity to become the agent he's been dying to be. At this point, here's where I thought the show did something pretty savvy.

The emotional attachment to Lloyd's plight has become an increasingly loud rallying cry among fans. I enjoy Ari's character, but he degrades Lloyd in a way that makes me cringe quite often. As the situation ramped up in this episode, the insults piled on, and Lloyd's patience and dignity was challenged. At the apex, he decided to abandon Ari Gold, and I actually agreed with him. I said to myself, "Well, yeah Lloyd... it just makes sense."

That's just it. A good story will pull you close, and make you identify with the characters in a certain endearing way. That is what "Entourage" did right this time. My personal litmus test came as the show drew to a close, with Ari's realization that Lloyd was actually gone. At that moment, I could feel Ari's disbelief, while I nodded in agreement with Lloyd's moment of liberation. That was a well-done, nicely executed moment of symmetrical drama for the show.

One last note: Be sure to check the Marquee Blog later this week for our exclusive interview with Jordan Balfi who plays "Adam Davies" on the show. I'll get his insight on the show and some inside scoops. Be sure to submit your questions for Balfi while you tell us if you loved, liked, or hated this week's episode.

Post by:
Filed under: Entourage • television

1. Turtle4President

I bet this whole Lloyd-hates-Ari plot is nothing more than Lloyd proving he is a bad ass. I’m guessing he goes to the new agency and either…

1. Signs a huge client, and then takes them back to Miller-Gold.

2. Lloyd goes to Davies with intentions of sabotage to gain Ari’s respect, which in turn will make Ari proud and Lloyd will get that promotion he has always been wanting. Ari will look and act surprised. Lloyd will say it was all part of his master plan to move up the corporate ladder.

Ari and Babs have the movie clients, Andrew has TV clients. Now; King LeBron James is slated to make a cameo this season and Miller-Gold doesn’t have an athletic department. I’m guessing this is where Lloyd comes in. I bet he signs LeBron. Or maybe he will sign Matt Damon. He is supposed to be on this year also.

Either way, something HUGE is going to work out for Lloyd and whatever that thing is, he will not stay with Davies. I’m guessing which ever situation happens; it will reveal itself in the last 6 minutes of the season finale and leave us hanging until season 7…just like it did with Martin Scorsese, Medellin, Smoke Jumpers, Aquaman, etc. etc. etc.

September 17, 2009 at 9:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. mANG

I think Ashley will be gone by the end of the season.. looks like she's making the obsessive girlfriend turn..

September 15, 2009 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. john doe

The character of Ashley is irritating (Alexis whatever is an awful awful actress, who's she screwing for this gig?) and frankly not hot enough for entourage, certainly not hot enough to compete with Sloane for Eric's affections. The arc is dragging on and on, surely having just started at a new agency they could have thought of better storylines than this for Eric?

Lloyd had to leave Ari, I thought Ari's character took a dark turn this episode, was interesting and made you slightly uncomfortable. Vince's character is doing bugger all this season, really the stalker arc was pathetic in hindsight, though watching drama walk around with that make up was mildly amusing, as was the palestinian joke at the start of the episode.

Also thought drama's war with the network exec was going to garner more attention.

I'm guessing that the sorority thing will continue as I've seen that actress on Friday Night Lights in a decent sized role.

September 15, 2009 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  4. lkfad

Im just really upset llyod left

September 14, 2009 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  5. aubrey

streetSmart – it sounds to me like you are the most negative person ever. All television shows have their ups and downs, whether it's a few episodes or half a seaon. While you are entitled to your own opinion, I am definitely amazed at your extreme pessimism. I love this show, despite a couple mildly annoying characters this season!!

September 14, 2009 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  6. streetSmart

You have terrible taste. This was the worst episode ever.

Tell Vincent Chase to go back to Marion, Ohio where his dad stays after he left his talentless...

The sorority/Turtle goof took 3 episodes to unfold? terrible script writing.

Who hired Ashley to be part of the cast FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON?

I'm officially done with this show..I will rob anyone who likes season 6.

September 14, 2009 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. David

Good episode. Looking forward to next week for a possible cat fight between Eric's secretary the that annoying Ashley.

September 14, 2009 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |