September 13th, 2009

Backstage at the MTV VMA's: Can you hear me now?

Okay, it's been said on this blog before, but sometimes, the WORST place to cover an award show is from the backstage. If you're trying to actually HEAR the show and get a sense of what is going on big picture.  This room is LOUD, yes LOUD. So, in the middle of what looked like SOMETHING Britney Spears did, they turned down the show feed audio back here so that the still photogs could get good shots of Miranda Cosgrove. Cosgrove, and Kristin Cavallari,  by the way, are the only stars who've  been back here since the big opener, Madonna.

Kayne West

Kanye West takes a drink out of a bottle while standing with Amber Rose in the audience at the VMAs.

What I also missed is the actual audio of Kanye coming on stage in the middle of Taylor Swift's performance. I can tell you that Kanye walked the red carpet and walked past all the media with a big bottle of booze in his hand and waved it to all the media. He didn't speak. All the media just thought he had made peace with the VMA's after vowing never to come to the show again.

If you saw the Britney thing - give me your thoughts. It LOOKED cute? And this is, afterall, pretty much the show that has defined Britney Spears' career - the highs, the lows, the comebacks all played out here. What do you think about Kanye's little stunt? Kristin Cavallari - who just came from presenting with Nelly Furtado - just told the press she thought the whole thing was disrespectful? Is there anything too disrespectful EVEN at the VMA's?

1. Margaret

This was just great for my 14 year old. Thanks Kayne for showing my child just how great you really are. Kayne should be banned from all functions. This incident has set everyone back many years. People like Kayne who live this lifestyle and obviousley have no respect for anyone to include himself should be stripped of any respect at all to include his record lables.. think anyone with good sence is going to back him now??, I will never buy nor listen to him. y He belongs in the gutter as his actions so clearly dictate.

September 14, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  2. joan

Kanye should be permanently banned from any and all award ceremonies. His actions cannot be undone. There is no excuse for his behavior. He acts like a 5 year old throwing a tantrum when he doesn't get his own way. He has NO CLASS whatsoever.

September 14, 2009 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Sean

CNN's coverage to day just about made me sick. When TJ on CNN, was asking question to someone I could care less about said, that Taylor was not in Kanye's league, I wanted to throw up. Does anyone realize she runs her own company, writes her own music and is in fact more accomplished and successful then he could ever imagine. In 20 years and more her songs will be recorded by younger stars some yet to be born and her music will live on in country, R&B and many others, much lIke the song " I will always love you" song by Ms. Houston and written by Dolly Parton years ago. I feel sorry for he will never be more then he is and Yes he is in a League all his OWN, Sad to be playing with yourself.

September 14, 2009 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Randy

Kant-ye is a thug and a whore for attention. Taylor showed that she is a class act and Kant-ye showed that he is a CLASSLESS act that needs to grow up! We're not buying your act anymore...it's old...

September 14, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Diva

Ignorant was misspelled on my first post.

September 14, 2009 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Diva

I have watched the VMA’s for years & never have I been so embarrassed for an artist the was I was for Taylor Swift last night after Kanye’s little stunt & he definitely show just how ignorant he is capable of. I mean…swigging a bottle of liquor & publicly humiliating a fellow artist…come on….are you kidding me? All that alcohol must be killing his brain cells! Beyonce show a lot of class when she invited Taylor back onstage. I have a new respect for her. As for Kanye West, I will not purchase his music & I show his stupid little stunt (on tape) to my 7 year old & let him know this is not the way to behave as he gets older! Boycott Kanye West!

September 14, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Diva

I have watched the VMA's for years & never have I been so embarrassed for an artist the was I was for Taylor Swift last night after Kanye's little stunt & he definitely show just how ignorance he is capable of. I mean...swigging a bottle of liquor & publicly humiliating a fellow artist...come on....are you kidding me? All that alcohol must be killing his brain cells! Beyonce show a lot of class when she invited Taylor back onstage. I have a new respect for her. As for Kanye West, I will not purchase his music & I show his stupid little stunt (on tape) to my 7 year old & let him know this is not the way to behave as he gets older! Boycott Kanye West!

September 14, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. shanese

I agree with Stacey race has nothing to do with it. Kanye West is just a very disrespectful person. I don't listen to Taylor Swift,but if she won that award then that was her moment and he had no right ripping it from her. I think that he should apologize to Taylor on TV so that the world can see.. As for Beyonce I love her too. but geez she can't win everything and she not better than everyone... so sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

September 14, 2009 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Stacey

People, maybe I'm 'new' fashioned, but I grew up in a race-less society called America. When are we going to stop playing this race card? Race has nothing to do with actions.

September 14, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Tina

Susan...your a class act! I too as a black woman so embarrassed. However race aside, what he did as a "human being" was disrespectuful. The picture of him drinking from his bottle shows just how immature he really is. And I will take this and use it as a teaching method to my two young sons on how NOT to behave! What bothers me the most is that the headlines from last nights show were supposed to be about a tribute, and his stunt is getting more airtime. Guess what Kanye...your CD's will not be in my house.

September 14, 2009 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Brandie

I wonder what Kanye's late mother would have said to him after he commited such a selfish, rude and intolerable behavior. Did you see the look on Taylor's face when they called out her name that she had won?! She was shocked and so excited! I bet she never thought she would win against the likes of such mainstream artists! And what does this loser do? Rape her of her moment in the spotlight!!! And the even more sick thing is he is most likely LOVING the publicity he is getting from this sherade, regardless of its negativity. I think they should put him up on stage on the Leno Show tonight and let the audience belt him with tomatoes!

September 14, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jennifer

Susan, Total appreciated what you wrote. you are a class act too!

September 14, 2009 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jennifer

We watched the VMA's last night and after Kanye disrespectful act against Tayler Swift. my son's phone went crazy with friends texting him saying they want no more to do with him or his (bought) music. He went and threw his music cds in the trash and said he was not going to buy anything else that he is associated with. I think we all should pass the word and boycott Kanye West and any magazines he is on or shows he is at. Don't buy his music and let him know showing up to an awards show with a bottle of booze and acting like an total ass is not going to be accepted by people any more and we will not support it by buying his music. BOYCOTT KANYE WEST pass the word. P.S. How classy was Beyone and Tayler Swift last night. True ladies. I kind of wished Pink has won she would have ripped that mic from him and kicked his butt off the stage. LOL

September 14, 2009 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  14. Susan

I am a 42 year old African American and I personally felt that Kanye was an embarrassment to our race and did not do us any service. If he thinks that turning, a 40 once up and disrespecting another artist was the way to represent our race, he is sadly mistaken. There is no telling how far back that little episode has set us as a race. He is a sick, sick man!
    I personally like Taylor Swift’s video; it tells a story, I even turn the song up in my car when I hear it on the radio and my 11-year-old daughter and I sing along. I like many other well rounded African American can appreciate ALL MUSIC AND ALL VIDEO'S

September 14, 2009 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  15. JOE

Boycott Leno

September 14, 2009 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  16. sharon

The apology will only make it right between Kanye and Taylor. The fans will always remember. Maybe Beyonce's husband should chastise Kanye for embarassing his wife and interrupting her "moment" also. I am sad for the whole incident.

September 14, 2009 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  17. Lorraine

I was so angry with him for disrupting this young lady's moment! I know that he was raised properly and no matter what his personal thoughts were, he should have kept them to himself. We are not wanting to deal with disrespect. He would not allow that to happen to him so why do it to someone else? Unbelievable!
    I am proud of Taylor Swift for being humble because had it been anyone else...Mr West would have been floored. Unreal

September 14, 2009 at 9:28 am | Report abuse |
  18. david

I could not believe that this was happening!! Poor taste on West's part. Hmmm, he has done this in the past, show's up with a bottle of BOOZE, and ignoring the media and fans along the red carpet. To me how much of a RED FLAG does MTV need to have? Ban Kanye West from future awards shows. That's what i say.....

September 14, 2009 at 8:26 am | Report abuse |
  19. Jim

Kanye West should be banned from any award shows if he cannot maintain some level of decency. It is unfortunate that such a talented artist can be such a rude, classless person. As a celebrity he has just as much of a right to speak out but save it for backstage. He doesn't have the right to steal anyone's moment. The music industry should appreciate the poise and grace of Beyonce. Though she cannot turn the moment around, she did lessen the blow. As far an an apology, it doesn't make things right. Kanye should still be embarrased.

September 14, 2009 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
  20. Julie

Kayne West embarrassed himself tonight at the VMA's. I hope he has the decency to apologize to Taylor Swift for his rude and inappropriate comments during the middle of her acceptance speech.

September 13, 2009 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse |