September 10th, 2009

Ellen? Why not Neil Patrick Harris?

I love Ellen DeGeneres; really, I do.  She is awesome and I love watching her show but I just can’t see her as the fourth American Idol judge. She is funny, she does great interviews with celebs and she is a heck of a dancer, but that being said, I could sooner see her as a judge on So You Think You Can Dance than on American Idol. I have to wonder- why didn’t the powers that be pick upcoming guest host Neil Patrick Harris as a permanent judge?

Full disclosure: I have an enormous crush on Neil Patrick Harris. I first fell in love with NPH when I was a little girl watching him on Doogie Howser M.D. Now I can’t miss an episode of How I Met Your Mother: his Barney Stinson is one of the best characters on TV.  I am not saying we should include him just because I like him; it’s that he is more qualified for the job.  NPH is an accomplished singer and performer, having even appeared on Broadway.  He has danced his way through Hollywood onto Sesame Street and all the way to the Tony’s- which, by the way, he hosted this year.  He even stars in this phenomenally inventive web series, Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog, that my colleague Sid Lipsey recently turned me on to.

Now, you may be thinking, surely NPH is too busy to add yet another job to his plate, right? No! He is such an avid fan that he is at every taping of “American Idol”, in fact they often show him when they do their celebrity shots of the crowd.  So why not take advantage of this great find sitting right under your nose?

What do you think- is Ellen the right fit? Would you have liked Neil Patrick Harris more? Do you have a completely different suggestion? Tell me what you think!

« Previous entry
  1. j060170

I wont watch it with Ellen on there.

September 16, 2009 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Close-up

NPH doesn't have his own talk show to promote (more than she already has) AI. It looks sort of like payback, no? She's had all of the judges on her show, and many contestants, and has talked about it...
    Now she can talk about it more than ever. (Anyone notice Randy Jackson' s "Best Dance Crew" produced by the same division of WB that produces Ellen's show. Maybe coincidence)
    She currently tapes 4 days a week, at least as busy as NPH, I'd think.

September 11, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Erica

I agree, I think NPH is more qualified...but while you think he isn't too busy to do it, maybe he is. I mean HIMYM is sure to keep him very busy!

September 11, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mary

I think Ellen is a great choice! I'll miss Paula but Ellen will bring some laughs and some new angles to the show. I don't think she'll put up with Simon's smart mouth! She'll have her own come-back!!!

September 11, 2009 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bea

All I can say is Ellen De Who? OMG could we find someone else. Well, let me see what else comes on during American Idol. I will not watch AP (After Paula)

September 11, 2009 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. Watnen

I always recorded Idol just so I could fast-forward through Paula's mindless drivel. I would have stopped watching if she didn't leave.
    Get rid of Cara too.

September 11, 2009 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. Vicky

Credentials: Watched from 1st Season. Voted for Kelly. First and last time I voted.
    My preference is to bring back Paula (I can't believe I am saying this. She drives me nuts. But, I'm going to miss her and her crazy self.) Get rid of the dead weight named Kara (She is worse than Paula and not in a good way.) Now add Ellen for a change of pace which they evidently feel they need. Or, if Paula cannot return, get rid of Kara and keep Ellen.

September 10, 2009 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jay

I liked Paula better and any celeb with half a heart would refuse any American Idol offers in support of Paula. In my eyes any celeb that fills in Paula's spot is a scab......the shows dead to me.

September 10, 2009 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |