September 9th, 2009

Perry to Chris Brown: Let's talk 'man to man'

Madea’s alter ego, Tyler Perry, was in New York today doing press interviews for his new film, “I Can Do Bad All By Myself." During my time with Perry I asked him what advice he would give to Chris Brown.

tyler perry

Without hesitation he told me. “I would love to have a conversation with Chris. A real conversation on television where he sits and he talks because I think…people want to forgive him. People want Chris Brown to be better, but the only way he’s going to get there is to admit everything that he did, put it all out there judge it for himself and feel bad for it - for himself really truly have animosity about it.

And then I think people will be able to move on. But as long as there’s this: 'I don’t remember’ and there’s this being ambiguous about a lot of things or not sure or not clear hmmm (shakes head no). But if he and I talked on television one-on-one, man to man, I think that a lot of people would understand.”

Perry was so calm and certain in his answer. I asked him why he would be the right person to speak with Brown.

“Because of my father... His mother was in an abusive relationship and my mother is too. She’s still married to the - I almost said something really awful but he is my father so I respect him. I had to make a choice early on because I know what it’s like to be so angry and then to love so passionately and to love so hard to be angry that you feel out of control but that when there is a moment when you can cross that line where you have to grab everything that’s in you and have to pull yourself back. So I think we would be able to relate on that level sure. I’ve never hit a woman. I’ve never hit anyone for that matter, but I understand being that angry and that frustrated and ready to go."

Would you like to see Tyler Perry speak with Chris Brown?

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. fabric

You are actually a excellent webmaster. The website loading velocity is amazing. It seems that you're doing any distinctive trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you've performed a great activity in this matter!

April 7, 2012 at 4:07 am | Report abuse |
  2. Geraldine

As for Mr. Tyler Perry speaking to Mr. Chris Brown, I don't believe that it should be done in front of the media. Mr. Chris Brown has been ridiculed about this thing and People seem to think that He is trying to save Himself by not talking. Has anyone stopped to think that He isn't talking in order to save the other persons reputation. I'm not saying that She should have been abused but She is not all innocent in this thing. She should be thankful that Mr. Chris Brown is the Gentleman that He is. There is a lot more to this story and if this were to go to Trial, all of the truth would come out!

November 20, 2009 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Clintona

Yes,Tyler Perry would be the ideal person to sit down and talk to a young man like Chris Brown! You have lived what he must be experiencing.... so many people want to just give up on him and call him a loser, but he isn't! He definitely made some horrible mistakes that he can't take back, but that he can rectify. Even though he apologized for what he did to Rhianna, there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a little more guidance!

September 27, 2009 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dondee

As an educated, 40-ish Black woman, I am completely baffled by many of the comments here. During the Larry King interview which I did watch and more importantly LISTENED to, Chris Brown did take 100% responsibility for his actions. Not once did he blame Rihanna or anyone else. What interview were some of you watching?? Stop taking tidbits of gossip from the blogs and infusing it with his interview on Larry King live! Most of blogs are inaccurate and skewed anyway. I certainly don't know what led up to what occurred in the car that night. Chris Brown didn't tell you about it–and hell, neither did Rihanna so just where are you getting your facts from? If Chris decided not to go into detail on what occurred–well then that's his perogative–he obviously doesn't want to share the info for whatever reason. All YOU, JOHN Q PUBLIC need to know is that he plead guilty, apologized on national television, youtube, etc. and is serving out the sentence that was dealt him–which includes 1 year of domestic violence counseling. What more do you want from this now 20-year old developing man. I don't think there is a parent out there who considers their 20-year old a full grown man because the maturity is simply not there. Stop judging Chris Brown and instead make sure that you're living the life you so expect him to. Enough said!!

September 18, 2009 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Shelby

ACT 1

Tyler: Chris, Let's do lunch
    Chris: Why?
    Tyler: I would like to talk to you about your aggresive behavior towards women.
    Chris: I already talked to Larry.
    Tyler: What if I give you a part in the next Madea?
    Chris: What's the part?
    Tyler: Chris Brown gets his A** KICKED.

September 10, 2009 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Shane

P.S. Tyler and Chris in person not on display for the world to see!

September 10, 2009 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Shane

I believe there are different motivating factors for all. Everyone has a breaking point. Chris made a terrible mistake and I'm sure he knows that now. I really hope he takes this time to grow into a man and learn from his mistake, never allow it to happen again - move forward and continue to be prosperous. I really wish him the best and Rhianna as well. My prayers are with them both.

September 10, 2009 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. whatever

I respect Tyler Perry so talk to Chris Brown. Let Chris Brown move on with his life. He's not the only person in the world who hit a women and he will not be the last. Chris was the only one who go caught. People move on with your own lifes and let him move on with his. Remeber there is two side to every story...the world is just at looking Rihana and what part she played in this. You people get a life.

September 10, 2009 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Krys

What is pathetic is no one KNOWS what really happened except Chris and Rhianna.

Women and Men are verbally, mentally and physically abused everyday. Does anyone have an opinion on that?

Also, what is with all the name calling and angry comments. Talking about abuse, you all are doing the very same thing. How ironic

September 10, 2009 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  10. Jackie in Dallas

Psycho-babble is still babble. While I'm sure Tyler wants to help, he really isn't doing all that much good for Chris.

As for Chris, he needs to get real therapy. Yes, a lot of abusive partners are sorry once they realize others now know about their abuse, but it takes a real professional to help them break the cycle for real.

September 10, 2009 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  11. me

How many of you really watched the interview on Larry King? If you did you would know that larry King asked him 4 times what happened that night and he was sick of trying to avoid giving details because there is no need for that at this point once those pictures came out there is nothing that CB can say to change the naysayers minds. I was once an angry young lady just like I beleive Rhianna is and I would haul off and hit, punch, smack my boyfriends when I got anrgy or wanted them them to do what I said but once I got popped right back in my mouth and it only took one time I QUIT putting my hands on people because I didn't like being hit back. I beleive that this is what happened and had been happening with these 2 young people. I am not saying that it gives him the right to hit her but what I am saying is DON'T DO ANYTHING TO ME THAT YOU DON'T WANT DONE BACK TO YOU. Can TP help Chris not sure but I am glad that someone is stepping up to have that talk with his instead of everyone turning their back on him. By the way How would any of you liked it is someone followed your business good and bad all day and noght following you around town and making speculating how you really think and feel?

September 10, 2009 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  12. Julie

I'm so sick of Tyler Perry.

September 10, 2009 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  13. Henry

Both Chris & Rhianna need to come clean. If maybe Tyler could set up a two part interview, one with Chris and one with Rhianna, that would be awesome. By no means am I condoning a man hitting a women, but I think Chris was backed into a wall, and basically had to defend himself. So many times a man is abused by a woman, but because he knows that he cant hit her back, or reporting it would make him seem like a "weekling", nothing is done, and the woman gets away with it. Picture this, you are driving, your 6-foot tall, 140lb girlfriend is bashing you in the head, hitting you in your #### over a txt message from another girl – you have your left hand on the sterring wheel, and using your right hand to fend off punches from the her – Woman or man – what are U suppose to do, until you can stop that car, and get out, which is exactly what Chris did?
    I think we should give Chris some credit for not puttting Rhianna on blast by telling exactly what happened that night. Also, lets not forget, she was right back in his company a week-or-so after it happend. She also asked for a softer restraining order. If she was 100% innocent, would she have taken these actions? I wouldnt have – I would've dragged his name thru the mudd, if he tried to kill me like the media made it seem. Remember, shes not your typical woman who might feel like she has to put up with a mans crap, because of money or kids, or housing, etc. Think about this folks....

September 10, 2009 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  14. Marilyn SA

Chris Brown got off too easy, he was due for some jail time, if he was treated as a normal citizen, he looked at 2 to 5 years jail time.
    Jail sound bad, but that is what thugs like him need.
    I applaud Tyler for the Man to Man talk challenge, but as soon as the next thing triggers him, he is going to do it again, if he does not get the serious help he obvioudly needs. Rihana needs to be councilled, also has some serious anger issues. You don't just go around slapping people and not expect a reaction from it. She also needs to get her priorities straight. Thumbs up to you Tyler, for all the absolute good movies you have been making, we love it here in South Africa. Please do much more movies with Brown, he is hillarios. Love you

September 10, 2009 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  15. librathediva

Personally I am tired of the whole Chris Brown thing . He has apologized numerous times to the public and Rhianna.I like both Chris and Rhianna because they both are very talented, but there are two sides to every story and I do not think that Rhianna is totally innocent. True Chris was wrong ,but like some one said in a previous comment she instigated the situation and I don't see any one punishing her.... LET"S GET OVER IT ALREADY PEOPLE !!!!

September 10, 2009 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  16. desi

i want to see that... perry is an amazing man and i think chris can do some good i think a lot of man could do some good with it. Chris would be helping out a lot of people by doing this

September 10, 2009 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  17. mary

Hey hey hey we forgot the person that reported the abuse.. I think it is more to this story. What do you think?

September 10, 2009 at 9:24 am | Report abuse |
  18. Randy

Tyler Perry's own mother "is" in an abusive relationship. Not was, but "is".
    If someone were ever abusive to my mother I'd throw them down a flight of stairs. Sounds like he just wants another excuse to get in front of the camera to me.

September 10, 2009 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  19. Michael

Please! Please! Speak to him.

September 10, 2009 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  20. Dee Dee

OK, first of all, Chris IS NOT the first man to lay hands on a woman! NO it is not acceptable behavior. Chris and Rihanna were obviously having issues. They both need to be addressed not just him! She shouldn't play innocent in all this. Personally, I'm tired of hearing about it. They have to learn to deal with the outcome of their actions.

September 10, 2009 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
  21. Yolee

hmmm, interesting, well i do agree with Perry, he should have that television interview with Chris, i think it can make a difference in the lives of many young men who are struggling with self control issues also Chris has to admit & accept what he has done, no one is perfect, we have all made mistakes, he is too young & talented to go down like that. Chris, if u ever read this stuff, i encourage u to first confess your sins, for God is faithful & just to forgive u of ur sins & cleanse u from all unrighteousness then ask forgiveness of the Rhianna & all the young ppl who looked up to u & now feel disappointed because of ur actions. I can assure u that u will be forgiven and eventually reinstated, even respected, just because u were man enough & human enough to accept ur error & ask forgiveness. God Bless

September 10, 2009 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  22. NATHAN

I WOULDN'T MIND SEEING ALI TALK TO HIM WITH HIS FISTS

September 10, 2009 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  23. douglas

yea all hope is that this abusive stepfather was really abusive and not just a ploy to make us all feel sorry for him....who knows ...there is just too much BS associated with this whole story...My own sister was in a abusive relationship and i had to take her to the hospital after being beat...a man that beats a woman like that has deep impeded anger issues which are not gonna go away with some PR CLEAN UP moves....
    YOU WERE ON TOP OF THE WORLD DUDE.. YOU MESSED UP big time... NOW you gotta deal with it!

September 10, 2009 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  24. NATHAN

NO, TYLER PERRY SHOULDN'T WASTE HIS TIME ON A
    LOSER LIKE CHRIS BROWN....JUST KEEP MAKING FUNNY MOVIES

September 10, 2009 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  25. Bobby G.

September 10, 2009 at 8:44 am | Report abuse |
  26. Thomas

Enough people, what he did was outright WRONG WRONG WRONG, but i think tht everyone putting the blame on him only, remember there are two sides to a story, she knows of his temper, but she decide to play on it and that day it got out of hand, so she is not the VICTIM only... he has confess to doing it and says he is sorry... wht happen, you people are going to hold it over his HEAD for the rest of his life... where is the compassion and forgiveness... remember she had her part to play... no one saying she wrong to slap him, curse him off etc... I am a woman...

September 10, 2009 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
  27. dirk

Enough with Chris "left her for dead" Brown, let the pompous little scumbag fade into obscurity where he belongs.

September 10, 2009 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  28. Lenny Ferguson

I think that Tyler should talk to Chris Brown because he needs a man with strong principles to get into his head.

September 10, 2009 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  29. Leslie

Can Mr. Perry pay for speech lessons for Mr. Brown first? That little man was verbally slurring and sliding all over the place on Larry King. Come on Chris! Present yourself as an educated man and maybe we'll believe what you say.

September 10, 2009 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  30. Marilyn

The talk between Tyler and Chris should be televised. Chris is still young and can be healed. I however feel that someone must give him a good beat down, so that he can feel the humiliation Rihana had to go through to walk around with a beaten down face. Rihana however, also needs some one to talk to her about her actions, and get real help. Both needs to go on the Dr. Phil show, he will really put both straight once and for all.

September 10, 2009 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  31. rob g

It would be great to see Chris Brown and Tyler Perry speak. Wait, wait a minute....why do we need to see them speak on TV? Can't Mr Perry just talk with him "man to man" anywhere? Wait, again let me get this right, the cross dresser wants to talk to Chris Brown about what again about being honest? Oh, yes that's it. That would be great to see.

September 10, 2009 at 7:24 am | Report abuse |
  32. Macsalesman

Tyler,

Put Chris in full (non comedic) drag and make him walk the city to experience what women do. Take him through construction sites, and anywhere women feel abuse, neglect and harrassment. Then, drive him to the middle of times square and slap the living snot out of him. This should all be televised, of course. If you make it pay per view, the money should go to womens charities. Talking just gives you BOTH publicity. Make CHRIS actually do something. Then, lord willing, dissappear.

September 10, 2009 at 7:18 am | Report abuse |
  33. Mike

What I'd like to see is the world stop caring about some abusive 21-year old punk who beats his girlfriend, who is even dumber than he is for even wanting to see him again.

There are much more important things to talk about than another wife-beater.

September 10, 2009 at 6:46 am | Report abuse |
  34. Phil Hamilton

I believe that it would be great to pair both Rihanna and Chris "live" on the Tyler Perry Show. Have a panel of experts with questions and analysis what happened. Not only discuss their scenario but compare it with normal abusive patterns. These two are icons for millions of our children. They have quite an influence on their future behaviors and thoughts toward abusive relationships. Abusive relationships are common and go undetected because it occurs to common people. Here is our chance to raise the awareness. Yes! Because of these two celebrity icons, the awareness and attention are being analyzed and criticized. Thank you Chris and Rihanna.

September 10, 2009 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  35. chris

What about Rahianna she is not the good one either. There are some things that she has done also...Women can be abusive also...She is far from innocent either...talk to her also

September 10, 2009 at 6:07 am | Report abuse |
  36. jOJo

What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you haven't said twice before and she still doesn't listen. She probably deserved to get hit, that doesn't cross most peoples minds.

September 10, 2009 at 5:31 am | Report abuse |
  37. Sylvie

I think he just want to make a name for himself coz if he realy wants to help Chris, let him clean up his own dad whom he calls an abusive man and who he himself says his mother is still married to despite of all the abuses. For you Perry 1. clean up your back yard before heading to Chris's. 2. get the log out of your own eye first before you can see the log in Chris's eye.

September 10, 2009 at 2:13 am | Report abuse |
  38. KD in Houston

i am reading a lot of these comments and realize A LOT of you have NO IDEA what you are talking about. Chris Brown has apologized repeatedly, publicly, privately, and publicly again. The clip that kept being shown of Chris Brown saying "I don't remember" was after being asked the same question like 4 times , and the first 3 of the four time he admitted his guilt. The "I don't remember" made a better snippet. So let this go! Let this go! Leave this boy alone! Jeeze!

September 10, 2009 at 1:14 am | Report abuse |
  39. KD in Houston

Hasn't Chris Brown already done everything Tyler is asking him to do? Seriously, let's let it go. He has already "admit everything that he did, put it all out there judge it for himself and feel bad for it — for himself really truly have animosity about it". Leave the boy alone.

September 10, 2009 at 1:10 am | Report abuse |
  40. Dirk

Great a couple of black guys trying to talk sense about beating on women on national tv. GREAT IDEA! Lets see whose ego will be bigger.

September 10, 2009 at 12:46 am | Report abuse |
  41. Transcender

No, I would not want Tyler Perry to talk with that cockroach of a human being who goes by the name of Chris Brown. Let's not forget, he didn't just beat her... he was trying to kill her. He said he was going to kill her.

What I would love to see, however, is Madea... going after that cockroach... Madea STOMPING that good-for-nothing into the ground. And then serve him up with a nice, big pan of hot grits!!!

September 9, 2009 at 11:51 pm | Report abuse |
  42. seba87

YEA~~!!!! GO GO

September 9, 2009 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Beverly

Tyler Perry is the right man for the job. I want to see Chris Brown perform and sing and move on with his life. Yes he made a stupid mistake and yes he is young, but he is human! But Chris Brown must admit to all that he has done and what part she played in all of this. Get it out and get it over!

Thanks Tyler for being about it and not just talking about it!!

September 9, 2009 at 11:22 pm | Report abuse |
  44. joeyg

i would like to see it..yes

September 9, 2009 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Lani

Mr. Perry.... counsel in private please. He is young and needs a good mentor.

But can someone talk to Rhianna... she is not 100% innocent in all of this!

To much fame, money at young ages with no PARENTAL guidance!!!!

September 9, 2009 at 10:41 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Ms D

Yes they should talk. If we were all judged by our past mistakes, we would never be forgiven. The difference is this child is in the spotlight. I don't agree nor condone what he did but he should be able to learn from his mistake and move on and the only way to move on is to be forgiven and prove that you've changed. Go Tyler..Love you and all the good work you do..and Chris..get help but most of all be humble and let God lift you up.

September 9, 2009 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  47. jessica pitts

Yes. I know he can get to the bottom of this. So many people are so hard on Chris Brown but what about the fact that she hit him first on certain occasion. But I guess that is not a topic. I am a woman and I have a son. And even a dog gets tired we are on the outside looking in. They both need help it should have been over....

September 9, 2009 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse |
  48. averiel60

The young man need Jesus ,not perry, he will only find peace with God. chris, trust God. Get priorities together, First God, Then you, get right with God, then you can heal,then you can reach out, remember you can't get it rght until you get it right with God.

September 9, 2009 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  49. jjfromnyc

Fine, let them talk, but WHY does it have to be on TV? We all know the answer to that one – therefore, to me, this is not a sincere "helping" hand.

September 9, 2009 at 9:34 pm | Report abuse |
  50. JG

I would like to see Chris Brown and Tyler talk only because I think it is the best way for the public to start forgiving Chris. I personally do not understand how he has been labeled an abuser. I volunteered at a battered women's shelter and understand the effects of abuse. An abuser is someone who uses violence to control another person and that was not the case in this situation. I really think people have been unfair. I do not condone him hitting Rhianna and I believe he should have made a better choice that night. I think it is sad that no one is discussing her actions. I teach my daughters to keep their hands to themselves and that it is not ok to hit anyone. Maybe people should stop ignoring what she did and get the entire story so we can have a real discussion about this.

September 9, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Facny

Yes, Chris Brown needs to speak to someone else because clearly Larry King couldnt get it out of him. He needs to tell the truth and be real about the situation. You hit the poor girl and as a young man, you need to MAN up about it, instead of saying that you dont know what happend, you know exactly what happened. These children these days....I know hes worried about his image but he wasnt worried about it when he hit Rihanna.

September 9, 2009 at 9:19 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Patricia G, Houston, TX

Nicky: Who stated why TV... why not that is what Larry King did to show just how stupid this poor young man is...why not TV so an intellegent black man can not only speak to CB but to other young black youth who think it is fine to not have grasp of english and beat women! I think TV is just fine and I also think Dr. Bill Cosby would be great to speak with him as well and OPRAH! When intellegent blacks are mentioned everyone then say do it in private....! Come on CHRIS BROWN man up! Leave your mom and lawyer at home. Be a Real man!

September 9, 2009 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Patricia G, Houston, TX

This would be a beautiful thing. The media is so bent on keeping the image of black men as abusive, thankless, and selfish JUST Like Chris Brown I think it would be wonderful to have an intellengent conversation with a man such as Mr. Perry another black man who can relate and who truly is positive and driven by being a role model. Not a taker like Chris, perhaps if he had more of these type of men reaching out to him instead of diddy another thankless thug who created this selfish young selfish taking generation we have today this young man would or could own up to what he has done and stop making excuses. I still think he should get help by seeing a counselor and go back to school. Take some english classes earn a degree. Money is not everything! Give back...

September 9, 2009 at 8:58 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Another Voice

In reading all the comments I can't believe people...first off where do you get off saying that Rhianna should have left him alone...your saying that SHE made him hit her....really... REALLY. I don't know Chris Brown personally but any man that can't culp to what he has done is NOT a MAN..and as for Tyler Perry talking to him WHY NOT I don't see any other stars wanting to talk to Brown... and why not on TV they both make a living out of being on tv so why not.. They are public icons and if you read Tyler says that he wants to talk to him to help him with his PUBLIC image...how can you change public opinion without the public part.... And as for all the naysayers against Perry doing this kind of thing saying it for the money and the fame...if you know anything about Perry he has plenty of both. He was asked a question and answered honestly... Cant say the same about other celebrites

September 9, 2009 at 8:54 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Nancy

This is actually kinda scary..........if Chris Brown "supposedly" can't remember, then this means he is capable of "blacking out" and beating up someone else????????

September 9, 2009 at 8:45 pm | Report abuse |
  56. asdfghjkl;'

screwchris brown... move on he is not important

September 9, 2009 at 8:42 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Nancy

How about donating to a battered women's shelter?

September 9, 2009 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Rob

I think Chris Brown should have a man to man conversation with Rhianna's father. Lets see that on tv

September 9, 2009 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Johnny January

Who made Tyler Perry an expert. Where is his girlfriend or wife? Has he ever been married? Enough said.

September 9, 2009 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  60. sheri

As someone who just got out of an abusive, I respect Tyler Perry for taking a stand against domestic abuse. I don't think his method will work though. The problem is that most abusers need years of intense intervention to stop this behavior. My husband would choke me, slap me, throw things at me, then moments later deny that the abuse ever occurred. It bothers me that so much attention is on "saving" chris brown, and not on understanding why Rhianna, and so many other victims of domestic abuse, stay in this situation. It is hard to believe that someone as talented, attractive, and seemingly good natured as Chris brown can be an abuser, but that is the cover, most abusers are charming, thats how they get their victims to stay in the cycle of abuse. Good luck, Tyler, but if you really want to help someone, why not help the millions of women and children out there who suffer (much like you did ) from the shame of domestic abuse.

September 9, 2009 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  61. shon

I believe that Chris does need to sit and talk with someone. However, is anyone talking with Rihanna? There is another side to the story. Sometimes women wont let the man walk away. So what do you do when you are that young and angry? I feel like he knows that he did wrong and he has lost alot because of it. Lets leave him alone and let him get the help that he needs. Lets forgive and move on.

September 9, 2009 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Natalia

Yes! I would most definitely like to see Tyler talk with Chris because this situation has been so 1 sided. I would love for him to get down to the nitty-gritty and just state the real. I agree with what Tyler said, that is what everyone needs to hear in order to move past this.

September 9, 2009 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Victoria

I think Madea should have a discussion with Chris Brown first. LOL!!! After about an hour, then Chris should chat with Tyler Perry.

September 9, 2009 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  64. psychlady

violence to end what is perceived as intolerable.

September 9, 2009 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Jacie - San Leandro, Ca

I think Chris needs Jesus in his life and ask God to forgive him for what he's done. If you confess your sins one to another then you can move on. It's time the media takes a deep breathe and move on.

September 9, 2009 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Mel

Tyler Perry, even as Madea, is more man than Chris Brown is. Let's hope Mr. Brown GROWS UP and OWNS UP.

September 9, 2009 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Eric

He makes movies and TV shows people. Can't we at least find someone with a doctorate to be a mentor in this situation...? He may have sound advice but I'm CERTAIN there are better choices than Mr. Perry!!!

September 9, 2009 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Nicky

I find it very interesting that Tyler Perry states more than once that he will talk to Chris Brown on Television. Why talk to him on TV, if you feel he truly needs guidance, talk to him in private. This was an unfortunate thing that happened between these two young adults, but I agree that we should let it go. There are plenty of everyday americans "Men and Women" that are verbally and physically abused on a daily basis. If we're going to help anyone, lets help them.

September 9, 2009 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  69. psychlady

I go with Dr. Phil on this one: "what you do not acknowledge you cannot change".
    This very talented, handsome young man will do it again if he does not get quality professional help. So far he has no knowledge how to deal with his anger. Someone who approaches Brown without being judgemental, understands his psychological "make-up" and can give him workable emotional strategies in times of pressure would be the person to hire. During an argument wanting and needing the other person to stop can – when unsuccessful – result in the use of violence
    to end what is perceived as intolarable.
    Tyler Perry is an inspiring role model and I am sure it would be beneficial for Chris Brown to meet with him, but what he needs most is an accomplished "soul-doctor".

September 9, 2009 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  70. Kas

True it may be neccesary for Mr Perry to meet Chris.What I dont understand is why he wants to do it in front of the tv.

September 9, 2009 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Lavinia

we are suppoters of your work my first play I saw was in san bernardino california and thelma from good times was in the play along with her daughter. Will see your new movie this weekend.

September 9, 2009 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Nicky

I would love to see Tyler talk to Chris Brown. Like he said they can relate to each other frm what I just read. It's always better nd more comfortable to talk to a person that done been in or is going through that same situation that you are in. Talkn to someone that's never been there feels like they just dn't understand. Do it Tyler have the MAN TO MAN with him. I just hope Chris Brown will be willing. Not to be all in his business nd gossip but for people to understand him nd the situation like Tyler said.

September 9, 2009 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  73. Lavinia Mason

Mr Perry I now see your talk show abd will be watching it tonight. There is a lot of history you can address. I would want to have a one on one talk with you. I would also have so much in common with you according to the readings I have read on you. Good luck on the new movie and your talk show as well. I know you will do very well and contuine to be sucessful. respectfully

September 9, 2009 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  74. La

Sure, it is always fun to see a real man make a hose bag look stupid. Between Chris Brown, Jon Gossilen, and Spencer Pratt I say all 3 of them do a reality show together called "Please Give Me The Beat Down I Deserve."

September 9, 2009 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  75. LO

He very young and dum, of course he thinks he did nothing wrong. In his mind, he thinks he is the victim. His mother should have told him he was wrong ! He will get over this if he stop thinking that everyone is out to get him.

September 9, 2009 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  76. 504girl

Tyler Perry please stick to making movies and leave the psychobabble to Dr Phil. Who are you to think you can help Chris Brown?

September 9, 2009 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  77. MariaH

The most dangerous type of abuser is the one that "cant remember" abusing another person. Drug use, Alcoholism, or plain old insanity are usually the reasons for that. Which one explains Chris Brown's inability to remember?

September 9, 2009 at 5:35 pm | Report abuse |
  78. a davis

I don't think a any person should hit another in anger. They both got violent and the only taking any heat or publicity is Chris Brown. When will Rhianna step up and admit her part and apologize?

September 9, 2009 at 5:33 pm | Report abuse |
  79. southernbelle

If you saw Chris Brown On Larry King last wk, it was obvious that he didn't admit to a lot bad things that occurred between he and Rhianna. Maybe he would man-up and tell it all to Tyler Perry...better yet, maybe Tyler needs to interview Rhianna so we can hear her version. And just for the record, when I hear CB's music on the radio, I turn it off...

September 9, 2009 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Byron

Mr. Perry..You make your cash by cross dressing and looking like a 60 year old woman. Stick to that. Man to Man? How is that going to happen.

September 9, 2009 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Opportunist

Perry is just an opportunist. He has a new talk show and wants some killer ratings. PERIOD. And he's not even being subtle about it.

September 9, 2009 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  82. mikki

I think Chris Brown needs to be able to relate to someone who understands where he is coming from – who can empathize with him and not just tell him what to do. Tyler Perry can help him understand how he (Tyler) overcame the same anger.

September 9, 2009 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  83. Kendra

This is a great idea. But, Chris Brown is playing the innocent, dumb role. I highly doubt he'd sit down with anyone without his lawyer present. Perry has the right idea. Brown lost my respect when he put his hands on that girl. Then after that false apology and Larry King interview, I was too through with him. He had a slight smirk on his face during the whole interview.

September 9, 2009 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Bent

Man, Tyler Pee=rry aint did nothing to the point where anyone wants to have a deep convo with him. I can tell you now he wouldnt get nothing from Perry than he could get from any pastor in any city. Hes just rich and thats the only.............. well his money is legit and he doesnt lie about what your paying for. I mean its good someone is saying they want to help but lets get someone of a high importance........ thats female....... to talk to him and then when she can say she thinks he is remorseful or something then things would get easier for him.

September 9, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Lees

If Brown doesn't think what he did was wrong, then he doesn't think he's wrong.

I don't think one single conversation with any one person is going to change that. Maybe years of anger management therapy, probation and personal accountability.

He may "see the light" in the moment, but choosing permanent change? He's not ready. Let's remember: he didn't just hit a woman. He beat the daylights out of her.

At the time of the incident, I kept thinking, "If he would do this to a mega-celebrity girlfriend, who he knew was scheduled to be on a nationally-televised event in a matter of hours, he must be completely out-of-control". He had to know he'd be busted, on every level, but even that couldn't deter him. That is especially frightening.

Good intentions Mr. Perry. I'm sure it would be cathartic for him, but I don't think it would change him.

September 9, 2009 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  86. DrmKpr

Enough already.... how many more Chris Brown stories are you going to drag up? Yes what Chris did was wrong but he apologized to the necessary people, admitted fault, accepted the consequences for his actions, and is no attempting to move forward with his life. So again enough already! Not only that Chris is not the only celebrity who committed a crime but I have no seen coverage/obsession like this over anyone else... why is that? Let it go and move on!

September 9, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Adrienne

I think it would be an excellent idea for Mr. Perry to reach out to Chris Brown. A good example of a REAL MAN reaching out!

September 9, 2009 at 5:03 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Janese

I think it would be wonderful for Tyler to speak with this troubled soul. It would have been best if chris did not do the interview. He only made it worse and that crap about I don't remember Please!!!!!!!!!!!
    There also needs to be a strong black woman to talk with Rhianna as well. I believe she herself has issues.

September 9, 2009 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Jim Brown

Tyler Perry doesn't care about Chris Brown, nor is he anywhere near Chris Brown's level of fame. Rather, he only wants the publicity and the ego boost. Come on people, smell the coffee.

September 9, 2009 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  90. J

OMG! Can we please get past this and move on. It happened, he apoligized, he can't take it back so please just let it go. The only people holding on to it is the media because nothing better has come along. I would love to tiptoe behind closed doors of those who so harshly criticize him. They probably don't have room to talk. It's just thier situation is not publicized like his.

September 9, 2009 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  91. GWS

I LOVE Tyler Perry. However, if he truly wants to help Chris Brown by mentoring him, then he should do it in a private setting (with more than one session) – rather than on his new talk show. Also, it was never for me to forgive him in the first place. And I agree with the others, we need to let this whole ordeal go and move on! It was never any of our business in the first place.

September 9, 2009 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Choyce2020

It would probably a really good experience for Chris Brown to sit & speak w/Tyler Perry. Mr. Perry has had similar experiences but has learned not to abuse women just b/c his father did; as in Mr. Brown's case. Mr. Perry is right, no one is going to forget about this ugly incident until Mr. Brown stops saying: "I don't remember hitting her...etc." He needs to take responsibility & SHOW by his actions that he is truly sorry for what he did & not be out partying having a good old time whooping it up. Brown needs to lay very very low for a long time until he makes amends on this nasty incident. Show him how it is done Mr. Perry & perhaps be the Father figure this young man needs (altho you are too young to be CBrown's father.-) you would be an inspiration to him. He needs another man to step forward & do what you are offerring to do, sit down & speak w/him. Tell him how it is poor child needs it.

September 9, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Tammy

I know people are sick of it and I am too somewhat, but this story needs to stay in the light. Abuse spans all races, ages, religions, and socioeconomic backgrounds. It's in the rural areas, inner city and suburbs. From the poorest to the wealthiest, from educated to uneducated. If it's put front and center, perhaps laws can be toughened, people can reach out, donations can be made and victims can see that they can get out. My husband worked for years in domestic violence and the stuff he saw burned him out. The repeat offenders, the women who constantly go back and the terrible toll it takes on children within those relationships. Many days he would come home and just hug me and our kids telling us how much he loved us and wanted to protect us. I am blessed, many women (and men, children & elderly) are not. So give time or donations to a shelter or organization that helps those in need. Call your lawmakers and insist they toughen laws. And if you suspect abuse-reach out.

September 9, 2009 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Robyn

I appreciate Tyler Perry wanting to help Chris Brown, that's commendable but I think enough has been said, Chris Brown has made a public apology to Rhianna and his fans and that should be enough. He does not need to admit exactly what happened and what was said between him and Rhianna. We all know the outcome of the situation and he has taken his punishment like a man. Society is so focused on the gossip of the whole situation and not the fact that he admitted his wrongdoing, is guilty enough about it and wants to make it right. What good will it do to keep rehasing the situation. It's already been done and can't be changed. He deserves a second chance to get his life back. Help him do that or Mr. Perry, you can help other young men not to make the same mistake. I believe Chris has learned his lesson. No one agrees with what he did but I agree with how he has handled the situation thus far. Let's help people instead of making an example out of them.

September 9, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Liz

Sure I think Tyler Perry can help because of his good heart, if it's not with a camera around....the good will come later and then we can roll the camera.

September 9, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  96. JJ

Tyler Perry's
    'Why I need my name on everything including domestic abuse'

This guy is an ego maniac. Stick to bad movies, not life coaching.

September 9, 2009 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
  97. carol

Chris Brown does not believe he needs healing...he is still in denial and only wants to mend the relationship with Re..which I cannot see ever happening...although being so young..she could very well fall back into the same cycle all over again...

September 9, 2009 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  98. R. S.

I would love to this!

September 9, 2009 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Jason

NO, I do not want to see these 2 have a conversation. However, if Tyler Perry wants to stomp him into the ground on National TV, that I will watch. I think some crimes are unforgivable, and hitting a woman is one of them. I don't care how many therapy sessions he has, or what he does/does not remember from that night. This was not the first time he hit a woman, and I think Tyler Perry would serve himself better if he treated Chris Brown like the habitual abuser that he is, instead of the wounded charity case that America is criticizing too harshly. You want harsh criticizm? Ask me what I thought of "Madea Goes to Jail", "Daddy's Girls", and "Why did I get Married?"

September 9, 2009 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Formerly abused

I was abused by my step father.....once an abuser...always an abuser. There is no changing them.

September 9, 2009 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  101. Christine

Nope don't waste his time it's a wellknown fact you abuse once you abuse again talking,rehab it does not work!!Worst is Chris brown won't fully admit to all of it. Rhianna did the right thing she got out lots of women can't get away she was the one who got away!!!

September 9, 2009 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Nema

People seem to forget that it's always a 2 way street. I feel for her, because no man should lay his hands on a woman. But in all fairness, leave the man alone. I believe she pushed him so much that he seen red and did what his first instinct told him to do. Subconciously he did only what he though was the right thing to do at the time. He realizes now that it wasn't the best choice, and maybe it only had to take that one time to see WOW. Deja Vu, and now work on his healing process on his own.

September 9, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Barbara Westerfield

I think Tyler would be the perfect guy to speak with Chris. He is a man of God and has been blessed thus far. His experience with abusers makes him doubly able to get a point across if need be. Love both of them. Man to Man let's do this!!

September 9, 2009 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  104. rachel

i think it will be good if Tyler Perry talk to Chris brown because some boy's may not have a father figure in their life and talking to other people about their problems some times hepls

September 9, 2009 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  105. Marta

Rihanna was the instigator!!!!! What about her???? She shouldn't have been searching his cell phone.... Seriously... yes his reaction was out of hand but she is not innocent!!!! There's a reason, why she asked the judge. To soften the restraining order she has on Chris..

September 9, 2009 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Samilton

Perry can relate. Chris really needs to talk to someone. He'll do it again if he doesn't get help. I too am a product of an abusive household. I watch my father abuse my mother. She finally got enough courage to leave him when I was 13 years old.

Chris can't talk his way out of it – nor can he rely on people either. He really has to want to get to the core and root the anger, fear and disappointment it out of him.

No woman in her right mind should get involved with him until he is free.

September 9, 2009 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Faye

Chris Brown just needs to get real and man up and quit saying he doesn't remember what he did to Rhianna and then people will start to respect him again. Also, he needs to quit trying to blame Oprah for his problems and accept his responsibility for what happened and then he can move on. I think it would be a good idea for Tyler perry to talk with him because he can relate to his situation. Everyone makes mistakes but he needs to be truthful and then he can move forward.

September 9, 2009 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Kat

It would be totally healing for Chris Brown.... many times people say that they don't want to discuss details out of respect for the offended person, or use the other excuse of "I don't want to hurt that person", but from a realistic perspective, most times its because the person that caused the pain doesn't want to be accountable or they just want to cover their skin. And sometimes, there are some people that really believe their lack of accountability is noble. Bottom line, the only way to make a real change is to deal with the issue head on so that they can experience freedom in that area of their life.

September 9, 2009 at 4:08 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Punkin

I think Tyler Perry, would be a perfect go between, someone needs to get through to this young man that this cannot be sweep away so lightly as people are making it out to be. I don't believe anyone in his camp has really sat him down and told him just how much of an impact this could have on him. They are to busy cashing that check and being his yes man to step up. I would love to see this happen.

September 9, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
  110. Ortizimo

Who cares! They only way this subject stays in the media is because there's nothing better to talk about. Lets focus in our home and family and not on rich spoiled kids. Thnx!

September 9, 2009 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Ian

Can we please let this go already? There are tons of women who are still in abusive relationships, lets focus on helping them out and not feeding the media.

September 9, 2009 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse |
  112. lois

I believe Mr Perry would do a world of good for Chris Brown.

September 9, 2009 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
  113. c

wow...i echo susans sentiment...mr perry got it going on. bring it.

September 9, 2009 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  114. Rebecca

Yes!!! Tyler Perry would be a great choice to speak with Chris Brown!!

September 9, 2009 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  115. Susan

Bring it on Mr. Perry. You are a smart, wise man.

September 9, 2009 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |