September 4th, 2009

Chris Brown takes on Oprah

As if Chris Brown didn’t have enough publicity battles on his hands, he just took on another one.  Hot off his appearance on Larry King Live where he tried to convey his remorse about the incident with Rihanna, Chris is now taking on the Queen of Media, Oprah Winfrey.

chris brown

In the new issue of PEOPLE Magazine, Chris Brown has this to say about Oprah who used the attack on Rihanna as a springboard for a show on domestic abuse:

“I commend Oprah on being like, “This is a problem,” but it was a slap in my face. I did a lot of stuff for her, like going to Africa and performing for her school. She could have been more helpful, like, “Okay, I’m going to help both of these people out.”?

“Slap in my face”? Maybe not the best choice of words, Chris, don’t you think?!

In response to Chris’ statements in PEOPLE, a spokesperson for Oprah Winfrey told Showbiz Tonight:

"Oprah is very appreciative that Chris Brown performed at her school but she takes domestic abuse very seriously.  She hopes he gets the counseling he needs."

Apparently Chris never got the memo: no one messes with Oprah.

1. crayzy artist

It's simple if a woman doesn't want to be hit then she should keep her hands to herself. Rihanna hit Chris brown first so she got what she deserved. Women do not deserve special treatment just because they are females, weaker and smaller. They say it takes a very weak man to hit a woman, but i think it takes a very weak man to not hit a girl back when she is hitting you. If a man is hitting another man then he gets knocked out, it should be the same with a woman. Women want equality right, so they should be treated equally by getting knocked out like if a man put his hands on a man. This world is so backwards that they are blaming only chris brown and not rihanna who started the fight to begin with.

September 16, 2009 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. tap

This doesn't have anything to do with Chris and Rihanna, but when Oprah used the gender term warning women to leave the first time she is slapped; I thought this is good advice, but should pertain to men as well.
    Abuse is harmful and knows no gender. Males can be a victim, abused by a female. A show should be done on this. They can be hit, scratched, bitten, and have objects thrown at them, called ugly names in a playful way, have untrue stories told about them to friends, family, coworkers behind their backs to alienate the spouse from people. The abusive woman will cry, or scream,over everything to make the man feel quilt and unable to make decisions.
    You don't hear of abuse of men, maybe because some men are strong and can leave an abusive relationship , but the men that stay look messy, and sometimes obese and cannot make decisions on their own because of fear of retaliation. They may have high blood pressure, depression,low self esteem, and stress disorders.

Young men just entering dating ought to be educated about the signs of an abusive woman; so they can make better decisions.

September 9, 2009 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Mike

HE IS A LOSER I HOPE HE ROTS IN JAIL!

September 7, 2009 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. 2PACOLYPSENOW

I will have to agree with Chris Brown on this one. Oprah should have used her position to address the issue of domestic abuse by engaging both he and Rihanna instead of using it as a bully pulpit to embarrass and ridicule Brown even further. He's clearly made a huge mistake and has been paying for it in the courts and in the court of public opinion. I know Oprah was abused as a young teen and appreciate the fact she wants to bring awareness to the issue but her timing was horrible and seemed calculated. These two individuals are extremely young and Oprah you should have been an ADULT and used your platform to help both of these individuals instead of taking sides. I thought I never say that it was P-Diddy who seemed to be the only adult willing to talk to both of them, and diffuse the situation and help counsel them along with Chris Brown's mother. Again, where were the adults at in this? Oprah, it's obvious you've long forgotten where you came from and it's sickening to see a person of color attack a young person of color for ratings. Domestic abuse is a very very serious crime which needs serious counseling for both the abuser and the abusee. Instead of using your show to help to young inexperience people heal, and be able to deal with issues, you chose to add more gasoline to the fire. I wonder how you would have felt if you were treated in the same manner when you were abused? How soon we forget.

September 7, 2009 at 2:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. Crystal

Both Chris Brown and Rihanna are at fault for what happened. They each abused their partner. We all need to teach our children that this is wrong and that hitting anyone is not acceptable behaviour. Maybe then there would be less domestic violence in our world.
    As for Oprah...Oprah Winfrey will say what Oprah Winfrey wants to say right or wrong because there are so many people out there who take her word as the Gospel. She is wrong and biased on so many issues, but as long as you keep watching she keeps getting the airtime. If you disagree with her turn her off!!

September 7, 2009 at 1:01 am | Report abuse |
  6. Garth

As the father of 3 daughters, i can certainly say I would react pretty harshly if I found out someone hit one of them. I would react just as harshly if I found out one of my daughters hit someone first (hitting back, have at it – didn't put them in TaeKwonDo for nothing).

Chris and Rihanna are both young, inexperienced, and, from all I have read, both at fault (flamers, keep reading) – they BOTH hit the other. They BOTH need help and guidance to learn that is not the solution, and how to better handle anger. Chris is being punished for his abuse – good. Rihanna should also be punished for hers.

Oprah – keep your mouth shut. I have seen enough of her show to realize how one-sided she is. I understand she takes domestic abuse seriously, but then take it SERIOUSLY. From BOTH sides. You want to help, Oprah – you always help the 'victim'. That is all well and good, but how about helping where it CAN make a difference. In this case, help Chris too. If you think what he did was so wrong (which it was) – HELP HIM. Don't just shun him.

Oprah thinks she is soooo good, and soo benevolent. I disagree. She has a few moments, but with her position and influence, get Chris on your show multiple times. HELP him learn how to act, how to manage that anger. Let THAT be your lesson. If by doing that, you save even one man or woman from domestic abuse, isn't that worth your precious show time?

September 6, 2009 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. djquick

honestly, they are attacking him because he is a man. in reality i know rhianna provoked the whole situation because she is a WOMAN. and thats what women do when their mad they put their bf's in jail. women have too many rights these days and too much protection. some women play off as the victim when they are the criminals. many women should be slapped to begin with for opening their big mouths, because thats what they do best open there mouths and push the wrong buttons till they are satisfied. making chris brown the enemy. thats not fair at all.

September 6, 2009 at 11:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Cin Cin

Hi all, some quick notes. First of all, Oprah is a victim of abuse. Darn right she's going to call Chris Brown out. How DARE he try to use Oprah because his own mother and/or father didn't teach him to respect people. Whether or not he was provoked, he should be human enough to handle his lifestyle, handle his temper, and handle his life. If he's not or he cannot, then he needs to step back, re-evaluate, and stop crying to Momma Oprah. She has seen it, she's felt it, and she is NOT going to stand for it. Domestic Abuse is RAMPANT in the American black community... stop whining about it, and take responsibility for it! He CHOSE to hit Rihanna. No one forced him to.
    My daughter, at 13, knows enough to control herself when she gets angry at someone. What is wrong with Chris Brown and/or Rihanna that they do not? Who are they going to blame the next time? There is a price to the lifestyle they chose, if you're not ready to pay it, then stay out of it.

September 6, 2009 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Tosin

Nothing surprising about the negativity of the media towards CB. When it comes to domestic violence, sexual harassment or even child abuse – women get the easy way out. No more effing equal right for me.

How often have we heard of child abuse cases in which the OLDER female claims she had sex with the much YOUNGER boy because she loves him – and ... Read moreshe's carrying his baby?? But when an OLDER male has sex with a much YOUNGER female, in most countries he's immediately arrested – even if he's 18, the girl 14 and the sex – mutually conscented to.

Why do certain females believe that chivalry also means that men shouldn't hit women who are physically agressive? Obviously you shouldn't punch a woman in the face (well unless she's a boxer) but why do female get agressive in this way and not excepted to get a good slap? Is it a case of domestic violence when they were younger? Are they usually females who have agressive brothers with who they played wrestling games wit when younger?

September 6, 2009 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joel

I love the people defending Brown. As a real man I know never to touch a woman in anger like that. You guys are passing it off like he just hit her back once. Hello? Did you see the pictures of her face? That was not one shot. That was a complete embarassment of a "man" who beat a woman senseless. Brown is trash in my book. Oprah called it like it is and I can't even stand the woman.

September 6, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Diane

I just think that this is a personal matter... the press should know boundaries. But then, Chris is the one always trying to justify everything... and every time I read something he looks like a kid talking! If he wants to explain something, he shouldn't keep blaming everyone else for everything. He should just shut up. (And I’m not saying Rihanna is an angel, but physical aggression justifies nothing.)

September 6, 2009 at 10:02 am | Report abuse |
  12. Stella

I love Oprah becauses she can be herself and she does not feel the need to put on a super black woman cap to protect all black man right or wrong. Other woman non-black called Chris out and he did not attach them, he just knew Oprah would be on his side because he is black and she is black. All Chris Brown did was try to use the Super Black Woman Card.
    CB: Hey Oprah, I am in trouble help a brother out!
    OW: No, Chris be a man stand on your own feet.

September 6, 2009 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  13. Mary from Mesa, Az

He abused his girlfriend. He acts like Oprah betrayed him or owes him something. If you knew someone and were close to them and then that person beat up his girlfriend, would YOU support him? Hell no. Fame or not, he still did something very wrong and shouldn't expect that those people would still stick by you when you beat up your girlfriend. Oprah is also not obligated to help anyone, especially someone who beats the crap out of his girlfriend. Chris needs to grow up, take responsibility and get counseling. Stop being a little whine baby. You deserve every bit of crap you are getting. At least the Judge let you off real easy and should be thankful for that and just shut your mouth. No one wants to hear you anymore. You blamed it on being abused as a child when this all happen, sorry not buying it. I was abused for 11 years when I was growing up and I don't go around hitting people. Get a regular job and stop being a cry baby.

September 5, 2009 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dianna

I can't believe what I'm reading here. "Feel Sorry for Chris Brown?" Seriously? He beat the crap out of a girl half his size. If she hit him first then he should have stopped the car and kicked her out. NOT beat the crap out of her. I'm sorry, I'm all for equality between males and females, and I know there are lots of cases where the woman beats the man, but that still doesn't give him the right to hit back. Be a bigger man and step away from the situation and again, NOT BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF HER!! Am I the only one who saw the pictures?

Yes, he's sorry– only because his name has been through the gutter and now he wants to be famous again and have people see him as a sex symbol. Once a beater always a beater. He AND Rhianna should get help.

Oprah is doing the right thing. "Slap in the face?" Dude, she elevated your career BEFORE she knew you beat women and THEN WENT CLUBBING WHEN THE NEWS HIT.

Get counseling, disappear for a year or two and then come back "rehabilitated" and see if you have any relevance then.

September 5, 2009 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. vicky fuller

I have 4 brothers and I have been hit by guys and hit guys back. My point is no girl should hit a guy and if a girl hit my brothers I tooo feel different . iI hit guys right back who hit me no it is not right but hey, Chris has a point to oprah he too needs sympathy and help for what he has done. Rhianna is Barbadian and they dont play . So I know she has ruffed him up a bit and remember he is 20 a kid with little sight for big actions as this. I do believe he is sorry and it all got out of hand and I respect his desire to let Rhianna tell what happend first. So this shows they both had a hand in this yet he is Held to a higher standard than most at 20.

September 5, 2009 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  16. Girl

Hmm. Those of you who are defending Chris because Rihanna hit first – do you think they would be an even match in the ring? Get real. Men aren't supposed to hit women. Oprah should be as tough with him as she wants. And no one should rehire Michael Vick.

September 5, 2009 at 1:15 am | Report abuse |
  17. Dan

I am totally against violence, but America is a nation of spoiled brats and many of them are women. Its also a land of media B.S.
    If someone hits you, warn them no to do it again, if they hit you again tell them this is their last warning the next time they will need medical attention, if they hit you a third time you have to get Machievllian on them one time will do it. A violent dog understands only one thing, violence.

September 4, 2009 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Steele

When I get involved with a women I have a serious talk with her. i tell her that I would never hit her, but I will hit her back. I have never had a problem hitting me and I have never hit. Maybe more couples should have this talk. I think it would make women who are "free with their hands" think twice.

September 4, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Jude

Oprah doesn't need to agree or accept what he did. But Chris is right. Oprah did turn her back on him when he needed her support most. Maybe some of the mature black media community can mentor him? Instead of the morons that have been mentoring him lately.

September 4, 2009 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Sandyvc

I am starting to feel sorry for this kid. "Use them and leave them" seems to be Oprah's MO now.

September 4, 2009 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Alex Pilot

At less his handlers understand his actions. There are some behaviors that should be condemned – they are not kids they are adults. Oprah is handling it correct – and he shouldn't be acting like she should be supporting him. If he was truly remorseful he wouldn't make a comment like that – he was not the victim. Go try and cry somewhere else.

September 4, 2009 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  22. EC

I'd feel bad for Chris Brown. Oh wait... he pulverized his girlfriend. Nevermind. Chris Brown deserves every ounce of crap he gets.

September 4, 2009 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Lidna

Chris Brown should shut up and crawl back under his rock. What a waste of space.

September 4, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  24. dan

Chris is a scumbag and he deserves jail time as this will not doubt do nothing to deter other guys out there from beating their girlfriends or wives ...hopefully he will get what he needs ... a beating from a man bigger than him

September 4, 2009 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  25. Nina

Chris,
    You have so much to learn. I feel for you, and I did watch you with Larry King live. I am sorry that you were not convincing enough for me. It sounds and you looked as though you were not sorry, you stumble over your words like the young adult you are.
    I am sorry that you find it easy to abuse women, you mother is a woman, and I am sure your mama taught you not to hit women. Now, you have learn (at least I hope) your lesson. You can not hit and abuse someone that you are suppose to LOVE. Remember that word, LOVE?
    You did not love Rihanna because you were fooling around and having sex with another women, as to the reason why Rihanna reacted the way she did. Yeah, she might have hit you first, or hard, etc.....you came away without a single bruise on your face....And you called what you did to her a "slap on the face". Give me a real break here Chris. You are not a man (a real man pull up his pants, and look you in the face and treat you with respect).
    I am a woman, and if I were in the same shoe Rihanna was in, in that she found out that you had sex with another woman, while you are dating and seeing Rihanna, how off beat is that.
    Chris, my advise to you is, the minute you hit another woman, I want to see you in jail where you should be. See, jail will give you the opportunity of your life....stop and think about action.
    No woman living in this world deserve to be hit by anyone, let alone a strong and healthy man like you. There is no comparison.
    As for the hit on Oprah, you need to take heed of her advise. I watched and saw Oprah when she made comments about your actions. She (Oprah) never said anything wrong except she is sorry to see what you have done was wrong. I am saying what you have done is wrong, your preacher will also tell you, what you did was wrong.
    It's obvious that you do not deserve to have Rihanna in your life. You need to think about things that your mama taught you, and take heed, because I know your mom is hurting right now for what you had done.
    It's ashame, and you need to be ashame of yourself, and say you are sorry what what you have done, and mean it.
    Good luck to the rest of your life.

September 4, 2009 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Robyn

There is a differernce between hitting someone that hit you first and beating a woman that is half your size, biting her fingers, and choking. Chris Brown beat Rhianna. She may have seen the tm and argued with him, she may have even hit or slapped him (because women have a tendency to be free with their hands when they are angry) but he beat her and choked her and bit her. That is a little excessive.

I believe that Chris is genuinely sad and remorseful about the situation. Look at all he's lost. First and formost his self respect, then the woman he cared about, his endorcements, he's incurred legal fees, etc...... But that's what goes along with the typeof crime he committed. He can choose to learn from the situation by getting the neccessary help and move on.

September 4, 2009 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  27. docmurdock

Chris Brown needs to grow up. He's in the spotlight for a reason. It's not to abuse another being. It's to be a light for those who are drawn to his energy. He can do much more good than bad if he'd only abandon the fear that he allows to control his actions. Many do the same, but he's one who has great potential. Perhaps he'll learn, perhaps not, but either way it's his choice. He has the power to turn this around and be an example of change. Will he take that opportunity or will he flub the dub and blow it. That chapter of the story is yet to be written. We hope he'll take the torch, guard the flame and run with it. Chris? You're on!

p.s. taking a shot at Oprah for not coming to save you (I want my mommy) get a life kid. You're out there, you don't need Oprah. You need to connect to your heart and know you deserve better than where you've been playing. Stop being gangsta and get right. Behind bars is not where you belong.

Peace out.

September 4, 2009 at 3:29 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Hello Kitty

I agree with Chris Brown .. regardless of what actually transpired.. Oprah as a Role Model should not have taken sides.. Some fall on her words as the gospel .... she has had 2 authors on her show who she praised and had people running out to snatch their books off the shelf only to find out later the book was a complete lie ! abuse happens on both sides men and women all across the globe to make Rhianna the poster child for abused woman is as wrong as making Chris Brown the poster child for abusers .. some women who are being abused or hit can not financially pick up and go like Rhianna did and the court system doesn't work as fast or diligent for them either. Chris had his day in court and was sentenced .. let this young man live a new chapter in his life. We dont run out to cancel services ( Cellphone, directv, internet) or turn in our vehicles back into companies when the news reports that a local woman has been abused , shot or even killed by her mate, Let this man make a living if you dont like him .. dont buy the music.. it is not for us to judge his career path or life

September 4, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Chris

Where did he go after getting sentenced. He went CLUBBING...
    Oprah did the right thing. She called him on it. He is a PUNK. If he loved her so much, why would he have been getting a text message from another girl. Most of you making a comment on here are men. And the rest of you are in denial or have never faced abuse. Once you hit someone in anger. YOU NEED HELP. And not the kind of help he is getting. What did he say I will talk to my Preacher....He went CLUBBING after he was sentenced. Oh yeah he learned his lesson...

September 4, 2009 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Chrissy

Amen, Vel McKee!

September 4, 2009 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Be Real

I don't support what Chris Brown did , but he shouldn't be offended by Oprah because it's rare that she anything to do with supporting men. Yes she'll talk about books she likes and chefs or whatever, but supporting men and the problems they might face I don't think so. I would be interested in knowing what shows she has recently had that discussed issues men might experience soley?

September 4, 2009 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  32. LPR

All of this back and forth on who beat who worse is nonsense. This situation is simple:

NO ONE, male or female, should be hitting anyone else ... PERIOD. To say, "Yes, she may have provoked him ..." in such a nonchalant way is a mistake. If you put your hands on someone - lightly or hard - guess what? You just might get hit back!

Therefore, men AND women, keep your hands to yourself. As a woman, I'm sick and tired of women hitting men getting brush aside as though men are the only ones who need to show restraint. EVERYONE should show restraint.

In this situation, Chris Brown needs to take responsibility for his actions, and yes, Rhianna needs to take responsibility for her's. They BOTH acted like total idiots!

September 4, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  33. LC

If male abuse is such a big issue than maybe Dr. Phil should talk about it. Women talk about women issues. Yes, Rihanna may have provoked him but he could have restrained her without beating her lights out. The extent to which he beat her was unnecessary and wrong no matter how many ways his fans try to spin it.

September 4, 2009 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  34. MeMe

Why are we empathizing with the perpetrator? Oprah was a victim of abuse and being a child who grew up in a house where domestic violence occurred I have a hard time feeling bad for anyone except the victim. Yes Chris Brown needs help but at least it won't require any medical attention. I'm sure Rihanna will carry that night into her next relationship. Let's also reach out to rapists, child molestors, and killers. Chris has his family and close friends behind him and that should be more than enough. He should not expect a pity party. He's lucky that there are idiots out there who accept this behavior and feel sorry for him as is.

September 4, 2009 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Manny

The problem that we presently are having in America is very simple. We have come to believe that our lives should be the same as those in reality series, Atlanta Housewives, New York Housewives, Hell's Kitchen. If we feel that we dont have what it takes we do everything possible in our power to copy and attempt to be like these people. Chris Brown is a young man with very serious issues and possible mental health problems.We still glorify all these individuals constantly on TV, magazines, podcasts. Why is this, the answer is simple, we want to be politically correct! All that we are doing is pulling apart standard moral values which I do have to admit is still valid in some families (Caucasians-African Americans etc). No wonder the world laughs at us, all we hear on TV-Radio is Michael Jacksons death, Chris Brown, Rihana, who has been caught with their pants down. Come on people you better get a grip on yourself unless next time they ask you where you are from and when you answer the USA they will just roll over laughing

September 4, 2009 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  36. LBW

I used to feel that Chris Brown was just bad. Now after seeing Rhianna's nude pictures on the net and her over all attitude, I have to wonder if she did some provoking herself. It seems they have a history of hitting each other. I've seen this in other couples and it is just as sad. He just got caught.

September 4, 2009 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  37. Neema

i know Chris Brown did a wrong thing and every one should blame him but it is a high time the media stops all these nonsense about him not being sorry enough. Oprah and Tyra sure, we know you guys are always against women abuse but why are you not against men abuse?
    The report received and the charges made against Chris indicated that Rihanna too once hit her, why did you not talk about it?Oprah herself should know very well that when something like this happens,both the two parties involved are to be blamed and each of them needs to have a share of why it happened.
    Its not wise that everyone blamed Chris on this one, already he has suffered enough, whether he is sorry or not is of no consequence here, media personalities like Tyra and Oprah should help these young people deal with issues and not go about attacking them like criminals.
    I was so disappointed with them and still disappointed when they say he is not sorry, the boy is sorry and he needs to get back on his feet and make good use of his career.

September 4, 2009 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  38. debra

Chris feels like he got slapped in the face? Good! How does it feel? At least it didn't leave a mark or bruise. Can someone please tell this loser the best way to get over this is to admit he was wrong, aplogise and SHUT UP. You cannot made the indefensible defensible by continuing to talk like an idot dressing like a 5 year old and making inane remarks.

September 4, 2009 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  39. Megan

I cannot believe some of the comments I have been reading. Attitudes like "Oprah should have taken a more caring approach" are the exact reason that domestic abuse becomes more acceptable in our society. Do we know the entire story? Of course not! That is between Chris Brown and Rihanna. Let me pose this question...if, and that is a big IF, Rihanna hit him first does that justify what he did? Why should these media moguls coddle these celebrities. They are far from "children" they are young adults and they are responsible for their actions. Rihanna was seriously injured and based on photographic evidence, testimony and a fair trial, Chris Brown got a fair, if not generous sentence for his actions.

September 4, 2009 at 9:09 am | Report abuse |
  40. anita

I agree with Sonja. But lets be honest. How many females do you know who are just gonna walk away when they are in the middle of an argument with their guys? We just arent gonna let it go or let them walk away. We are mad and they are gonna hear what we want to say. I know from experience. When i was younger, you better not walk away from me. I would follow the person,yelling and acting stupid. I never hit though. I knew if i did, i was putting myself in danger of getting hit back. Now that i am older, i realize it was stupid. Following them and yelling helped nothing. And lord forbid if you get a girl who is spoiled and never had to account for any way that they treated anyone. This is how Rihanna seems to me. Like no one told her that it isnt right to hit anyone either.

September 4, 2009 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  41. Tiffany

Totally agree with Chris. He know he was wrong, but no one (including his once friends) wanted to hear his side or see what his problem was.

Oprah of all people should have seeked out why this happen. She is not the only woman or MAN that has been abused. Get over it!!!!

September 4, 2009 at 9:00 am | Report abuse |
  42. Cherie

Poor Chris having to cope with a comment that was to him a slap in the face. I suppose he feels that that is just as bad as punching a woman in her face. What a pitiful specimen of a man seeking sympathy from the public for having someone hurt his feelings. Of course violent women abusers do not think of anyone else but themselves. He had choices to deal with a volatile relationship walk away or fix it. He chose abuse and now seeks public sympathy for having to be responsible and accept the consequences of his actions. He certainly won't get any sympathy from me and shouldn't from any other woman. I am grateful that Oprah is using his story to bring to the forfront the terrible reality of domestic abuse. If Chris had been just a no name man and not a celebrity the reaction would have been all together different but for some warped reason society sets a different standard for celebrities. Celebrity or not Chris Brown is a cowardly whining woman abuser and anyone that excuses that behaviour should pray that their daughter or sister never encounter such a person. Would they excuse the behaviour then. I think not..
    Instead of feeling sorry for himself he should be feeling sorry for the woman he battered. His true colours are showing.. Have a good pity party Chris. Don't invite me

September 4, 2009 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  43. anita

I agree on one thing, if she hit him, then she is guilty of domestic abuse also. I wondered why no one was saying anything about her provoking him. So many times it is overlooked when a female hits a male.Then when he hits back, he is the bad guy. Dont get me wrong, i think chris should have not hit her, but where is her accountability? She comes out looking like an innocent person and chris is the bad guy. I am female and i believe that if you are female and you decide to hit a male, you better be ready to get smacked back. It isnt right for anyone to hit, male or female , but so often we overrlook the females who start something and when they get hit back, we are so quick to condemn the guy. One good piece of advice KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF.

September 4, 2009 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  44. Rae E.

Sure,Chris Brown is Sorry now...repeating it over &over again to any media outlet that will give him airtime.The only thing he's Sorry about is his singing career which is in the Toilet & will never recover.He'll probably sell thousands of albums on curiosity alone but will forever be labelled a woman hitter.He should invest his money wisely and disappear because his fifteen minutes of Fame is just a memory! His only regret is his fading career as the 'entertainment' gravy train speeds on by & leaves him standing at the station called 'Has-Been'

September 4, 2009 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  45. Tanisha Mckenzie

Chris and rihanna are still young, they dont understand the nature of a relationship and i should think Oprah being the lady with all the answers, should have atleast assist by encouraging the both to get counselling seeing she is an adult instead of critizing them. domestic violence is not right but in a relationship things are not always perfect people get upset and do and say things they do not mean, sometimes thing even get out of hand and it is up to us now to try and control ourselves and talk and try and work out our problems in a more better way. I WISH BOTH CHRIS AND RIHANNA ALL THE BEST.

September 4, 2009 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
  46. Kenyetta B.

I personally agree with Chris Brown on this one. I mean Oprah, Tyra all of them just jumped on all of those media reports as if everything was true. And half of it wasn't. She should've at least tried to be more respectful of the situation before jumping to conclusions. And she knows better than anyone how not to believe everything you read or hear in the news.

September 4, 2009 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  47. Mary

Chris Brown must be out of his mind if he thinks what he did hasn't changed how people look at him. I hope he feels ashamed for a long time. If you act like a thug, don't be surprised if people view you as such. I hope he's confronted with the reality of what he did wrong for a very long time. Obviously, there's a mental disconnect with him.

September 4, 2009 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  48. Sonja Clark

Don't get me wrong. I'm against abuse of any kind. Don't support it at all. Society always say men don't hit female's, but no one teaches these young men how to deal with a woman who hits and hot tempered. Chris knew not to hit a female, but no one ever taught him how to deal with a female hitting on you. Woman shoulnd'nt hit like men should'nt hit.

September 4, 2009 at 4:42 am | Report abuse |
  49. Sonja Clark

If Chris is guilty of anything, he is of dealing with her know that she has a bad temper. Warning Guys! If your woman hits you, leave her alone because if she gets a real good hit on you one day and respond instantly, you will be blamed 100%. Not the woman. It's wild that no one can see that this girl needs anger management. She caused this boy alot. The media needs to address situations as to when the woman beats on a man. This is a young man. It's so easy to forgive her, but not so easy to forgive him. CHRIS SHOULDN'T HAVE DEALT WITH THIS GIRL. WHEN HE SAW THAT SHE HAD A BAD TEMPER< HER SHOULD'VE DROPPED HER.

September 4, 2009 at 4:36 am | Report abuse |
  50. Sonja Clark

Chris is Right! It's sad to see how the media is spinning this thing. They got Rihanna looking like an angel. How can you say "See he has a history of violence with Rihanna due to 2 incidents that occured with her hitting him. 1st time he pushed he after she hit him then the second he broke a car window after she again hit hie and lastly, they had a fight in a car after yet again she beats him due to a text from an ex on his phone" but Chris is the blame 100% and Rihanna is so nice. Didn't she just took some half nude photo's with a muzzle on her mouth and a gun in her hand? Yet this media follows with a "Good for you Rihanna" if she did the photo's prior to the big incident, you know they would've been saying the absolute opposite. PLEASE! RIHANNA NEEDS HELP AS WELL.

September 4, 2009 at 4:28 am | Report abuse |
  51. vel mckee

I am the mother of two daughters and one son. My oldest child is twenty-five years old, each child is independent in his/her own right. Possibly if Oprah had children of her own, she might add a bit more sensitivity rather than acid to this situation. This incident between Chris Brown and Rihanna is most tragic. They are yet "children", in spite of their ages, or public personas. There is a much deeper issue at hand with young adults at this age, that needs notice; they yet own few of the 'real life' experiences needed to truly master the demands of intense relationships and other societal demands at this point. Yes, some things remain basic: hitting is not allowed, by either party! I am inclined to somewhat agree with Chris Brown; Oprah could assume a more caring (adult, motherly, leadership) role and offer a helpful hand to both Chris and Rihanna. She could provide a wonderful service to all of us who are parenting young adults (males and females), as well as speak to a younger audience which she (Oprah) seems too often to callously offend and dismiss. It seems to me that when our 'children' come of age, and begin trying 'adult life' out and begin making mistakes is exactly the perfect time for the 'elders in society' to assist them by helping to reinforce all of those early lessons (parents) have tried so hard to teach our girls and boys all along. Quite possibly, Chirs Brown expected for Oprah to place strong, positive, yet guiding attention toward him, not recrimination... it seems he understands and accepts the criminal aspects of his actions!

September 4, 2009 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |