September 4th, 2009

Alter egos on 'Real Housewives of Atlanta'

Thursday night's "Housewives" episode had me wondering why, even though I, too, live in Atlanta, I had no idea that alter-ego photo shoots are apparently all the rage.

NeNe appointed herself art director as the ladies posed as two different personalities. I am still trying to figure out what made her think she could go all Tyra Banks and dictate who portrayed what.

I loved Lisa as the good girl/bad girl, and Sheree as the robber/victim who is after the "seven figures" turned out well in my opinion. My "mucho kudos award" goes to Khandi for choosing the drunk driver/pedestrian to make a statement after an accident that injured her relatives - and Kim for refusing  to be painted up as a black girl.

Khandi's sorrow over the accident and Sheree's genuine concern was the most touching moment I can ever recall on the "Real Housewives of Atlanta." It allowed viewers some actual "reality" in a reality television world that has provided less and less.

And as amusing as the black Kim/white Kim photo shoot might have become, there is no way Ms. Kim could have come out of that without being slammed by viewers as, at best, ignorant for going there, and at worst a racist bringing back the minstrel look.

I found it interesting that NeNe criticized Kim for not stretching by choosing a housewife/mistress theme when Ms. NeNe looked quite comfortable on the pole portraying a stripper.

We won't even discuss the drinking game one could start every time Dwight refers to someone's "melons."

For more on the "Real Housewives of Atlanta," visit Essence.com.

« Previous entry
  1. Teresa

I enjoyed the alter ego showing. I think that the comments concerning Kim after she was fell was totally unfair. If that would have happened to NeNe, Lisa, or Sheree they would not have said that about one another. I totally think that everyone except for Khandi is jealous of Kim. That shows the maturity level that they are on. It makes them look so small.

September 19, 2009 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Teresa

Khandi, I hope and pray that you receive this email. I am a strong black woman who needs someone to know my talent I live in Milwaukee there is not much going here in the way of talents. I seen what you did with Kim and her song and knowing that God did bless me with a voice I need someone like you to take some time with me and I know that you can produce a song for me that is coming from my heart. You are the kind of person that shines to me and even more so after doing what you did for Kim. I think that you are the realist person on that show and if it wasn't for you I think that the show would die after all you can watch so much drama. You bring class, style and a lot of interest to the show you are a God send.

September 19, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  3. DeckFace

Kandi is by far the best, always has a positive personality, does not talk crap on anybody, absolutely love her.

Sheree really needs to stop being so negative and vindictive.

Nene, acts like everybodies friend but she seems rotten to the core just like Sheree.

Kim needs to find a passion in life other than herself and stick to it.

If anyone has not seen the ellen interview with the housewives, watch it on youtube, absolutely ridiculous.

September 15, 2009 at 10:36 am | Report abuse |
  4. Just my opinion

Well where do u start!!

I am a resident of Los Angeles, but I own a couple of homes in the ATL, one of which they are filming the series in. I too am very successful and found that once I purchased a "very high end" home in Atlanta, that many of the ATL women in the area were very "insecure". However, once some of them took the time to get to know me they became nicer people to me and my family. But, I do understand the "social" climate, that in the A.A. Community, people are much more shallow and need to believe that "money" ='s status :(. However, I am appalled that these women believe that NeNe is not an instigator of most of the gossip and that Sheree is just ridiculous with her "want to be designer" dream..You must "DESIGN" not copy to be a designer. Additionally, I think the "white girl" hatred is Stupiud and over the top!! it is reverse prejudice and I "ain't mad at Kim for being strong enough to talk smack back and defend her position what ever it may be. Lisa, to me seems to be o.k., but the threats towards Kim, seem to be a little childish, however I like the way she called Kim and spoke with her about the disagreements between them. Kandi, you are great, sweet, real and most of all talented. Don't get caught in the hype!! like who you like and be who you are..it's refreshing to see someone comfortable in your own skin... I miss DeShawn, I thought she showed class, and a friendship for all the cast members that was well needed..All this clashing, shows that these women really do not know what having friendship/money and forunate living is about and really are just trying to get fame out of REALITY TV of which by the way is NOT REAL!! Love your show, hate the "Hating" amoungst our own and others..Just not Classy at all. If you want to see what being successful, loving & friendship is about..Call on me to what real living is about..It "ain't the money honey"..It's called having substance in the life of earning and learning...Graced by God!!

September 6, 2009 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Ellen

WOW! Shame on all of you ladies except Kandi! Especially Sheree, lisa and Nene. Sheree and Lisa acted like classy ladies last year and this year they have acted like low class bimbo's. Sheree goes crazy over everything and nothing important, and everything is about her.........what's up with that. All of these women are very selfish, and it does not show what a true housewife is about. And does any one of these ladies believe in forgiveness?

September 4, 2009 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. LaLa

The show last night was funny. This show is for entertainement purposes only. These women are not housewives, no on the ladies on the "RealHouswives" shows are really house wives. NeNe is the star of the show, she has everyone buttons and she knows when and how far she can push each one of them. The funny part is that the other ladies have no idea.

I agree NeNe and Dwight must work for Bravo, because they bring it for the show. The other ladies seem to be trying too hard.

Kim, needs a new wig. With all the money she received from "Big Poppa" she should be able to buy a human hair wig and trash the bird's nest on top of her head.

September 4, 2009 at 4:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Mrs. T

I personally do not care for NeNe. She's too bossy and she tries to run everything with her big mouth. She has something to say about everybody when she looks like a drag queen. She is so loud and had the nerve to call Kandi ghetto when she look like an entire ghetto. HOOD RAT!!!! I wish they would take her off the show. But other than that it is an ok show to watch.

September 4, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sandy

These girls are hillarious and you all are great to watch! Keep it up and I enjoy watching all the drama makes my life look so simple, love it! I would like to know one thing, Kim where do you get your money from, do you work somewhere? Just curious.

September 4, 2009 at 3:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. MiMi Divine

Last nights show was ok for me...

Although I no longer care for Lisa, she did look great in her alter ego photo shoot. Khandi (the most successful of the bunch) is turning out to be my favorite. I really enjoy watching her on this show, as I was almost moved to tears myself, when she shared her troubles with Sheree. Sheree did look like she cared and I give her props for being supportive.

NeNe is a HOT MESS all the time. She WAS a stripper, that’s why she looked so natural up there on the pole. She is the one who needs an intervention, from both alcohol and food (although we never see her eat) GIMME A MARGARITA!!! (BLIMP)

I have to admit that I do like Kim. Yes, she does bring the drama, but its fun drama. She did look hot in the black wig. WORK!

I wish that Bravo would leave the gay’s out of the show... THEY ARE NOT NEEDED, in my opinion...I am not hating, I prefer not to watch that type of stuff on TV.

MiMi D.

September 4, 2009 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kim

This show is the lowest form of trash on TV. and there is a bunch of it out there.

September 4, 2009 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. MICHELE

This show is one of my guilty pleasures, to watch women be so stupid that I laugh sometimes till it hurts. Sometimes you need someone's else's reality or lack there of to know your own life is not that bad.

Keep up the mess and I will keep laughing.

Everyone needs to take it light or stop watching.

My opinion of course :)

September 4, 2009 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Diane

Candi needs to take a close look at her boyfriend and how friendly he is with her daughter. He was shown on camera holding her with both hands on her rear. Candi even remarked how close her boyfriend is with her daughter. She needs to do a background check on this guy and LISTEN TO HER MOTHER! Dump the guy before it's too late.

September 4, 2009 at 2:47 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Nobody likes trash

This show is absolute trash.

September 4, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. steveneclem

I too, was incredibly proud of Khandi for using the photo shoot opportunity to make a powerful statement about something she believed in, rather than simply use it for self-glorification.

I also was moved to see Sheree's genuine concern for another person, and give her kudos for having a sense of humor about herself when it came to the photo shoot.

Kim, Kim, Kim - I just don't know what to say. From her attempt at beauty school to her singing "career" to her lackluster photo shoot, it seems that she has zero interest in anything that involves the slightest bit of effort on her part. I fear that unless she develops a bit of a work ethic, or learns to care about someone other than herself, she is going to have a very disappointing future.

September 4, 2009 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  15. MeMe

Its so obvious that Dwight and NeNe are on Bravo's payroll. NeNe brings the drama and dwight brings the laughs. Those two have definitely sold their souls to Bravo. I just hope they got enough to pay for the therapy their both in need of.

September 4, 2009 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Lorraine

That's very passive/aggressive of Nene to be upset with Kim for not making an ass out of herself. What's up with Nene for inviting her kiss butt crew to her photo shoot? Nene has some issues with Khandi. Khandi is well accomplished, Nene's only job or duties as shown are tooting her own horn. The show is getting boring. They all want to talk about Kim. They set up dinner,drinks to confront her about her gossiping but turn around and do the same exact thing. Khandi seems to be the only level headed person on the show. I liked Lisa last season but she's allowed herself to turn into someone she wouldn't be proud to claim. Lisa and Sheree want to cuss out and beat you up if you cross them but want to present themselves as community leaders. And role models. " Give me a break".

September 4, 2009 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Chris

Why don't do a reality shoe about "Real Housewives" Maybe in Van Nuys, CA or South Central LA. They can focus on "Wives" who struggle to feed their familes, or struggle to keep a family together, or the adversity people face everyday. Oh yeah thats right its because it would be "Too Real" for TV.
    These kind of crappy shows are the downfall to a lot of people who get caught up in this non-sense TV. This show is as real as an Episode of CSI Miami. Its scripted for TV.

Chris in Los Angeles