September 1st, 2009

Carrie Prejean files complaint against Miss California USA officials

Carrie Prejean is taking aim at the Miss California USA Pageant yet again – this time filing a legal complaint against  officials Keith Lewis and Shanna Moakler and publicist Roger Neal. In it she seeks damages for, among other things, public disclosure of private facts and religious discrimination.

Showbiz Tonight received this statement from Carrie Prejean about her complaint:

“For months I have listened as the Miss California organization waged a campaign of hate against me because I stood up for my beliefs. While it is bad enough that they have said hateful things about me, I can no longer allow them to falsely state that I was not willing to do my job as Miss California.  I have thought long and hard about filing the lawsuit and after months of trying to resolve these issues, I feel that this is my last resort.”

Mel Avanzado, a lawyer for Shanna Moakler, fired back, releasing this statement to Showbiz Tonight:

"Ms. Moakler has not yet been served with Carrie Prejean's lawsuit.  However, on Ms. Moakler's behalf, I can say unequivocally that Ms. Prejean's lawsuit is without merit.  More importantly, as everyone who watched or read her public statements is well aware, Ms. Prejean's unfortunate and bigoted statements are responsible for any public humiliation or damages to her reputation that she has claimed to have suffered.  Ms. Moakler strenuously denies that she did anything wrong and looks forward to proving that in a court of law."

1. electroniccigarettes

Wonderful Post.

I want to thank you for the post.

September 17, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. debra r

what bible are you reading Carter? guess you missed some of it. I have no problem with gay people, just don't call it marriage and don't expect my church to recognise you or marry you. What ever happens between 2 consenting adults is there business.

oh please: Kindly pray for me, however I was refering to the nastiness which is being heaped upon this woman for having the audacity the tell people her OPINION.

September 4, 2009 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  3. Carter

I'm a Christian. I believe in the Holy Bible and pray every day. I'm also gay. I'm also in love and pray that one day I can get married. The chuch I attend would be happy to marry me and my partner once it is legal. I pray each night that the "us" vs. "them" menality on this issue softens. We are really all one big family on this planet. Personally, I have found a lot of comfort over the years in the ten commandments. None of them says"Thou shalt not be gay." But, one does say, "Thou shalt not lie." What greater lie could I live than to pretend everyday that I'm straight when I know i'm not?

There simply is no sin in being gay, just as there is no sin in being born with curly hair or blue eyes. There is sin when there is a victim. The thief that steals creates a vicitm. The angry person who strikes another has created a victim. The disobedient child victimizes himself when strays from the safety of his parents. The drug adduct who destroys their body and mind... But, there is no victim created when one man or woman loves another. The truth is gay men and women who would like to be wed are currently being victimized. They are being treated unfairly without just cause.

The good news is that God hears our prayers and answers them. As five states turns into ten and ten into twenty, soon enough the entire country will legalize gay marriage. It will be a glorious day – a day based on a lot of prayer.

September 4, 2009 at 3:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. Dahlias

*blinks* err... is it that blond who did that whole controversial gay/straight marraige thing? Personally I can't berudge the woman, everyone has their own opinion or belief and from my understanding she spoke without malace... so leave it be. We may not like it (gay chick here) but we can't go into her mind and scrub away the religious mumbo-jumbo so *shrug*

September 3, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. ohplease

Dear Debra R: You rant and rave and then say have a nice day, and you offer to pray for US? Read your own words, honey, and tell me who is throwihg a hissy fit? NO one is saying any churches would have to perform marriage ceremonies for same-sex couples. And there are plenty of heterossexual couples who DON'T have church wedddings. Does that make their wedding any less a marriage? You have a nice day too and I will say some prayers for you.

September 3, 2009 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Debra R

If you would check her contract she was probably required to answer the question honestly. It was her honest answer. If they did not want an honest answer they should not have asked the question. The majority of people in the US feel that marriage is between one man and one woman. That is also how the dictionary defines marriage. Those of us who believe this do not scream and shout out personal attacks like all of you have. The fact is hate and intolerence comes from those that support gay marriage. Yell, scream and hold your breath. Have hissy fits. Call people names and shout them down and the issue remains the same. Most Christians don't care if gays marry, they just don't want to be forced to marry gays in their church. They don't want it to be called marriage. As for us trying to put words in God or Jesus mouth.....Jesus was always one for parying for your enemies and forgiving...and to speak kindly to those who revile you...so kind friends...have a nice day and I will pray for you all :)

September 3, 2009 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  7. tony

Carrie please go away! Your 15 minutes were up a long time ago. You have proven that you may be arguably pretty on the outside (although, those fake boobs look horrible), but a very UGLY person on the inside. Not only are you a hypocrite and dumb, but just plain nasty. Oh, by the way, what do you think the Lord would say about you bad-mouthing so many people, your nude photos, and accepting money for a boob job? I rest my case.

September 2, 2009 at 8:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Garry-Arkansas

It is one thing to publicly announce your personal religious beliefs on a nationally televised program, it is another to push it and push it and push it..that is what she has done. I don't think she has the basis for a lawsuit..she ignored the wants of the pageant she signed contracts with. A CONTRACT is just that..you read it, you AGREE with it and the you sign it in good faith.
    It would appear she cared more about pushing her religious beliefs than she did about the contract.
    I hope she LOSES everything including the fake boobs!

September 2, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. robert

nice fake tits, carrie. jesus must love that!!

September 2, 2009 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. craig

i think it's unfair for people to be so intolerant of her intolerance. christians have every right to and should decide what is acceptable for everyone in this country.

September 2, 2009 at 3:08 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Clark

after listening to you guys through the filter of the media .... I am convinced that saying that "marriage is for one man and one woman" ... is the most hated thing in America.

September 2, 2009 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. LBW

Ms. Prejean should file a suit. She was discriminated against. Shanna Moakler should get a real job.

September 2, 2009 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  13. Shannon

If someone made a comment about a person's race, they would have been 'fired', this is no different....

September 2, 2009 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  14. Thats2much

Here we go again. A bimbo sues, and ends up with a reality tv show. This is getting ridiculous

September 1, 2009 at 9:18 pm | Report abuse |