August 31st, 2009

'Entourage' returns to jaw-dropping roots

Ladies and gentlemen, we have liftoff.

Simply put, I loved the show. We have now returned to the familiar place that "Entourage" keeps us in. From my strange "thing" for Beverly D'Angelo's character (don't ask – but yes, I want more "Babs" please) to Andrew Klein's pajamas, the episode started well and ended phenomenally, just like its supposed to. I even saw Turtle's bong make an appearance after a long hiatus.

The only hiccup I could have held my breath for was the "Vince versus stalker" storyline. Its neither catchy nor compelling. Yes, I know there's a nut on the loose, but the drills weren't laughable, and the security guy isn't funny either.

Other than that? The show grabbed me, shook me, spun me around, patted me on the head and told me to "enjoy the rest of my night" once the credits rolled.

For the record, I keep having to go all the way back to my first blog of the season where I called for an end to Sloan's character, at right, and/or her relationship with E for some ungodly reason. What was I thinking?

Since then, I've been "Sloan'd" several times by her appearances, and last night was no exception. She placed a call to E to check in on him and I found myself not wanting the scene to end. E met her for cocktails (Hi Sloan!), got the call from Ashley (uh-oh), and ultimately decided that he had enough of Sloan's indecisive nature (What? NO!). As Eric drove away, I exhaled and silently mouthed the words "Bye Sloan" to the TV. Please don't be gone Sloan. I didn't mean it. I rebuke that first blog!

Meanwhile, the readers have been pretty diligent about frying anyone who speaks a harsh word about Ari Gold's character on the show. Well, last night's performance is what Emmy noms are made of. Don't be surprised if you see him eagerly waiting to hear his name called for the award as scenes from last night's show portray him in the role. What a fantastic performance.

As his scenes unfolded, Ari guides Klein through the chaotic wilderness of his own creation, only moments before the single-most important meeting of his professional life. Then, in an instant, we get the patented Entourage "mayhem" we've come to know and love as Klein reacts to his "Sorkin notes" going up in flames at the hands of his jilted wife. Klein then gives us a gift by reversing his Cadillac, and driving it through the front of his very own house.

At this point in the show, I'm now standing up in front of the TV. Wow! I remember discussing this "Klein implosion" concept earlier in the season, but wow! Talk about a tree bearing juicy, delicious fruit??

By now, I'm actually hoping Klein can score the Sorkin deal, and what do you know? The uber-schmuck comes through from behind the prison glass, and I'm officially spent.

All in all, I believe we got more of what we were looking for in our beloved show.

By the way, you'll be glad to know I just added my stellar suggestion for "Pajama Mondays" to the employee suggestion box.

Loved, kinda liked, or hated this week's show? Let us know!

« Previous entry
  1. Tasha

Entourage has loss it. In fact they loss it in the fourth season. It was a show about childhood friends trying hard to help their friend make it so they could ride his coat tail. It has turned into a oversexed mess. The show thinks by giving them girlfriends it will show that the piece of crap show will move forward. It has put it to a halt. No one cares if trutle has a girlfriend. You should have giving him someone who does not have a face as long as a horse. The college girl is the right girl for him.

September 23, 2009 at 6:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. Leo Mart

I love the obvoiusly subjective negative comments about the show here. It's one thing to say this season is not their favorite or certain apisodes etc. But to say this show is dead is ridiculous. These are all "True Blood" watching hacks who don't even know anything about Entourage storylines.

Yeah, I should give up Entourage and watch a show about Vampires. Yeah like that's not a tired ass subject for a show. Are you kidding me?!

September 22, 2009 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Danny Simon

Man this thing Nuked The Fridge when Billy Walsh tattooed Escobar on his back and then called E a Suit for the millionth time! Plus being a mad sneaker head and stomping the LA beat I don't know why they did not give props to Sportie LA and gave nod to Undefeated. Yeah it has exclusives but Sportie has got approachable staff and stock for days! Much money has been separated from my bank account to their coffers, willingly of course. The life of an addict.

September 1, 2009 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Andrene

I love this show....Jeremy Piven once again was excellent..Yes to Sloan NO to Ashley....

September 1, 2009 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Evan

I watch every week just for the entertainment but how much longer can I see 2 people making out and a cell phone ring? Then someone says "Its ____, I need to pick up it could be something important!" Oh and the 3 people talking about one person bit with the boys......same stuff every episode. They have their script model and wont leave it. I just with they would do something crazy because Entourage has so many directions it could go. I was really hoping for a Vince sex tape to get out. That would be entertaining!

September 1, 2009 at 7:34 am | Report abuse |
  6. Laura

Curious.... Did any rates drop due to the sexual haressment aligation??

August 31, 2009 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  7. J-dog

Totally agree – Entourage is the best. Can't wait for Sun evenings to hunker down and watch it. Wish it were one hour – 30 min isn't long enough. Time to drop the stalker story – not interesting or entertaining and is it just me or does Vince not have a lot of lines? Hmmm.

August 31, 2009 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  8. DavidMilchFan

Sorkin was excellent. I _REALLY_ hope they keep that story line alive. I'd LOVE to see more sorkin.

Am I the only one who doesnt care about E and Sloan or E and Ashley. Gheesh get on with it already.

To summarize: More Sorkin, Less E romance.

Thank you for your time.

August 31, 2009 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. David

Let's be honest, Entourage this season has been weak. The only consistently entertaining character has been Ari. All they others are vapid airheads. Marky Mark's self-indulgent walk ons don't make the show any sharper.

Where is the side of hollywood that kicks a struggling actor/actress firmly in the groin and laughs? What I'm viewing now is the Hollywood version of Hollywood – and surely you have the high highs with all the trappings.

The centering story for this show was the guys from Queens struggle to make it, and when they first got there they made it by the skin of their teeth. And since they were 'regular guys' they didn't know how to treat fame once they got there.

Now they are just boring, stereotypical hollywood characters in la la land without any depth for the most part. Most I'm sure just watch now to see the fancy cars and the topless actresses du jour. Oh well.. it does kill 1/2 hour on Sunday night.

August 31, 2009 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  10. ARA

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this show!! AND all the characters. Ari one liners are classics!! Brad Laidman, what show are you watching?

August 31, 2009 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  11. matt

This year sucks, Entourage is dead. I was never a big fan of the show but even my friends who would never miss an episode say this season sucks. It's all about True Blood.

August 31, 2009 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  12. John from Ft lauderdale

Yes, please, more Sloan! She looked amazing when she made the call to E for the drinks, sexy and professional. But when she actually showed up for that drink, she had me wishing I was pulling up in my Aston, just as Eric drove off in his. A pair of jeans has never looked better.

Ashley however, needs to eat something as she is escorted off the show. Preferrably along with the security/stalker plot.

All in all though, a great show, I hope it stays this good for a long time.

August 31, 2009 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. Jon

I have one word for you - Sloan - MOVE OVER MEGAN FOX!!! SLOAN! SLOAN! SLOAN! SLOAN! Ok, so maybe a few more words than one.

August 31, 2009 at 11:11 am | Report abuse |
  14. Farabi Ahmed

Yeah, the show was awesome! I totally agree with you. Too much E was kind of interesting but I don't know now, I thought the whole stalker thing seemed kind of bland till the ending (it gave me the f***ing creeps!) but I thought I was going to see some Coakley vs. Drama this episode! Oh well, the story was backed up by insane acting by Ari and Andrew, oh and not to forget Babs!

So yeah, this show's going pretty cool. Thought I must admitt I miss the smart and continuous racial slurs to Lloyd and Ari's long tempered speeches to anyone that pisses him off. Please fire someone soon, it was so funny watching him fire people! (not Andrew though!)

I can't wait for more :) hopefully I'll get a few more laughs in the upcoming episodes. Great post!

August 31, 2009 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  15. colin

never liked this show. always came off as a sex and the city for the maxim/axe body spray set.

August 31, 2009 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  16. Evan

Anyone who would choose Ashley of Sloan is an idiot, and E sure is. Sloan is the kind of girl you put up with in the short run for the reward in the long run. Ashley looks like she's 12 years old, and it's actually kind of creepy.

August 31, 2009 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  17. Matt

This episode was phenomenal. After a few lackluster weeks the show went back to what it does best.

The ID in the couch thing was pretty stupid as is the whole premise of the stalker.

August 31, 2009 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  18. EM

this week's ep was AWESOME!!! just when i thought we got rid of the waif (ashley) she's back...WHAT IN THE ANOREXIC HELL!!! i was pissed but i'm sure this will make for more drama in the future...

andrew klein...man if he's not a psychotic jewel i dont know what the hell is...thanks writer for this...his meltdowns are the best!

and i agree boo to this security guy crap...but the stalker thing has taken an interesting turn...a guy??? whoa...i'm sure ery'body was thinking crazed female fan...i know i was...

i can't wait til next week...adam trying to steal Lloyd...can't wait to see Ari go ape ish on him...

August 31, 2009 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  19. Wilma

You need to get a life. The show sucks

August 31, 2009 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  20. greg columbus

Great synopsis. I agree on the security/stalker angle. One good thing about Entoruage, though, is that they seem to recognize when a story line isn't working and end it.

Sloan can't be gone. The chemistry between Eric and Sloan is too good. I think Ashley needs to go soon, although her reappearance helped E turn the tables on Sloan a bit. Loved the look on her face when he drove away – almost like "what have I done?"

I also like that they are letting E, Drama, and Turtle have their own story lines a little more – not so much intertwined with Vince all the time. A good sign of growth.

Ari is such a great character. Piven can shjow so many sides of him in one show – completely agree – last night was great. Keep it coming – hard to believe I have to wait two weeks for more.

August 31, 2009 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  21. brad laidman

You've been smoking from turtle's bong – the show's been terrible all year

Who cares about E's love life

Ari is no longer funny he just yells

Gary Cole is totally wasted and the whole story line is lame

There hasn't been a single good laugh the whole season aside from Jeffrey Tambor swearing his way through a round of golf

August 31, 2009 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  22. Evan Dashevsky

Are you serious? They really need to take this show off the air–it used to be good, but has stuck around waaaaay after the party is over (it's been over for about two seasons now). The only captivating thing is Ari–they need to dump the "Entourage" and center on Ari and Lloyd. I don't care about the exploits of these 30 year olds who's characters never change for better or worse (and care even less about the older tangential characters). Just awful.

August 31, 2009 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  23. Logan W.

Simply fantastically amazing is the only concept that comes to mind, and one of those isn't even a word. This show truely has the elements to become a long standing 10+ season series which is unheard of on HBO and my ONLY gripe is that each episode is only 26 minutes short...which leads me to a loud, "NOOOO," when the credits role.

August 31, 2009 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  24. Steve

I am glad Entourage is back to were it was and left and now its back again – its one of the best shows out on Sundays right now .....

August 31, 2009 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  25. Tara

LOVED the Episode! I too had a jaw-dropping 1/2 hour last night. Klein and by extension, the actor Gary Cole himself, was, is, will be brilliant! OK I'm an avid West Wing buff and yes I knew the quote as well, and the irony that this poor "schmuck" served West Wingers as Vice President for a few short years, I am NOW pissy that Aaron didnt give him more back then! Aaron showing up with Ari to the Jail was like "Hey, yeah sure, Aaron is no stranger to Jails" Can we all say POTHEAD!!!!

SLOAN SLOAN SLOAN! Why? WHY? Why? You tease, yet please us and E at the same time!

OK, who's with me on this? When E answers the phone and we hear "the voice" how many of you screamed at the TV, too???

The high point of the security/stalker story, seeing Drama being thrown in a bathtub then the incredible chemistry that is Turtle/Drama and Turtle......Can you tell me a story too????

ARI is GOLD!!! He is brilliant and awe-inspiring! I too have asked for Pajama day in my company, the boss looked at me a little cross eyed so I didnt dare ask him if one of my clients could screw in his office!!!

All and all, another stellar episode! Getting better by the week! Lots of conversation will come from this one!

August 31, 2009 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  26. Adam Avramenko

Loved this show, it is amazing. Sloan is so hot.

August 31, 2009 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  27. Stef

F**kin love this show!

August 31, 2009 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  28. Chris

Absolutely terrific episode, and after a yawn infested first few shows, the series has turned the corner and really picked up some steam. This could be possibly the best season if we keep getting episodes of this calibur. When Klein drops the phone at the end, in complete shock at what has transpired, I felt the same way about how this season has taken off into the stratosphere. The best show on HBO hands down.

August 31, 2009 at 10:26 am | Report abuse |
  29. jdk

Great episode, 'cept not enough Drama. No way does Lloyd defect.

August 31, 2009 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  30. Brooke

Loved, Loved, Loved the show last night! From beginning to end!

Okay, so Ashley is back...whatever...I was actually kinda glad E took a stand for the girl he "kinda likes." Is that how men do it? Hang out with the girl they "kinda like" until the one they REALLY want comes around and figures it out? Sloan's not going away....just wait :-)

Klein driving his car through his living room – that was the best! I was literally like "wow" out loud. Great stuff!

Ari was simply Ari. I *heart* him...and Turtle :-)

Vince just needs to go away – is the show even about him anymore? Was it ever? Like I said, I'm new to the show...but Vince is just...eh.

Great episode!

August 31, 2009 at 10:24 am | Report abuse |
  31. Monica

I only thought it was okay and definitely not as great as you rave about. The story lines are getting old, especially the one with Andrew Klein. Also, how does everything always magically work out in the end? I may stop watching if things don't pick up soon.

August 31, 2009 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  32. Popduds.com

This show jumped the shark 2 seasons ago, it's funny to see who still watches it though, and even funnier to see who still loves it!

August 31, 2009 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  33. Jay

This episode was great. Ari is the best, only Jeremy Piven could pull that role off, and E good for you man, but we all know Sloan is def gonna want him now...great show...keep it coming.

August 31, 2009 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  34. David

I loved the episode as you did but they need to get rid of Ashley for good and have more Kate Mara. (Correction it is Pajama Wednesdays)

August 31, 2009 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |