August 27th, 2009

Babs mourns Ted Kennedy

Add Barbra Streisand to the list of notables mourning Sen. Edward Kennedy.

In a statement, she lionized the "Lion of the Senate" as someone who "inspired so many millions of us with his wisdom and compassion."

She added, "He is gone, but he leaves us with his vision of America to guide us and his clear voice that will reverberate forever.  He was always a fighter for justice, working to help those left behind.  He will be terribly missed."

Streisand donated several thousand dollars to Kennedy's re-election campaigns over the years.  Her publicist tells CNN the singer won't be attending the senator's funeral on Saturday because she is in Europe.

Bill Cosby is also reacting to Sen. Kennedy's death.  On his Twitter feed he wrote, "The void left by his passing must be filled carefully, thoughtfully and most importantly with integrity."

« Previous entry
  1. K

jake. seems you are one of the people left behind in the education system that Ted constantly was fighting to improve. Babs' opinions would be subjective, not objective. Go back to school, your minimum wage job isn't helping my future social security.

August 29, 2009 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. Debra R

Thank God for people like Bill Cosby. The people of MA should have their election to fil his seat., after all that's what Ted wanted when he wrote the law while Mitt was in the gov chair. Sauce for the goose I say

August 28, 2009 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. Judy

Barbra Streisand is hardly self-absorbed. She is one of the most generous of celebrities and she genuinely cares about the concerns and troubles of the average American. She could easily live the good life and not give a thought to the majority of us, but she doesn't do that. She cares and wants the American dream for all of us. God bless her.

August 28, 2009 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  4. BRIAN

I thought CNN was a NEWS organization. If I want Celebrity opinions and thoughts, I'll buy a copy of National Inquirer...

August 28, 2009 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  5. kevin

like milllions of others in the thousands of years who have died due to an ailment,war,poverty, murder,rape,disease,pestilence,hunger,political persecution,religious persecution and so on, will be raised again in the ressurection to the judgment of God, even also those who have done what they thought and what the world thinks were good deeds. Mr Kennedy now has an appointed time with God for judgement, He has already fulfilled his appointed time with death and I pray that because of what he did for his fellow man will shine as a beacon to others to help their fellowman, but mostly God will look at his worship to him and how he lead his life. I can't judge that like so many do as I have read on these comments , I'm not perfect, but I'm not a follower of others, but doing for others is why I'm on this earth,NOT WHAT PEOPLE CAN DO FOR ME!!!, not in the capacity that Mr.Kennedy was doing, I don't know what his plans are for me,but I'm doing it, and like him I'm going to get the job done.

August 28, 2009 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  6. Ann

Jake, I think you self-absorbed. Who cares about what you think? She was making a comment on Senator Kennedy's passing...not on you. Quit looking for your 15 minutes of fame and get a life. Some of us have lived though the passing of all 3 brothers, which I am sure you haven't.

August 28, 2009 at 7:32 am | Report abuse |
  7. sharon

@Jake, the biggest idiot is you. Babs thoughts on Ted Kennedy are just her thoughts and feelings toward Senator Kennedy.

August 28, 2009 at 7:21 am | Report abuse |
  8. Joan

Barbra Streisand I never quite understood the hype...hmm different generation i guess

August 27, 2009 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Ruth Dreisbach

As always, Bill Cosby has a way of saying so much in so few words. And he says it so eloquently.

August 27, 2009 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jake

Babs is a self-absorbed idiot celebrity, much like the others people fawn over. Her opinions don't amount to a hill of beans and her commentary on this subject is objective at best. Who cares how she feels. It's not NEWS!

August 27, 2009 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |