August 24th, 2009

'True Blood': The god who comes to Bon Temps

Editor’s Note: This post contains spoilers for the Sunday, August 23 episode of HBO’s “True Blood.”

Religions based on the worship of space aliens, The Dude from “The Big Lebowski” and spaghetti monsters? Seen ‘em all - old news.

tb.samandandy.courtesy

But Jason Stackhouse in a gas mask with antlers made out of a tree branch? I think that’s a spiritual leader we can all believe in.

The segment with Jason, Sam Merlotte and Andy Bellefleur fighting their way through Sam’s bar in Sunday’s “True Blood” episode, “New World in My View,” was a highlight.

Basically, we were served up a short zombie movie in the middle of a vampire show. Sure, there was no gore-splattered hacking and slashing, but all the key elements were there.

Chainsaw? Check. Mindless horde of your former friends banging on the door? Check. Hapless buddies working their way through the mob in increasingly creative ways? Check.

And Jason’s shirtless appearance to fool the black-eyed horde was classic. Who didn’t laugh at a “god” who doesn’t know what the word “smite” means and serves up such eloquent pronouncements as, “I am the god who comes! I have come … and now I am here!” (We’ll step slowly away from the possible double entendre’ there as it applies to Jason, OK?)

Maryann haters, and indeed there are many, can take heart in the fact that Sam’s escape, combined with Sookie’s newfound face-zapping ability, suggest there are some chinks in the armor of Dionysus’s No. 1 gal – even if her decidedly non-tasty blood means Bill might not be much help.

Only two episodes left this season, which means there’s not much time left for Maryann to become this season's Rene Lenier (hopefully).

Who knows? If they’re lucky, they may make it out of this mess before Maryann’s meat tree goes bad.

Post by:
Filed under: Uncategorized

« Previous entry
  1. Paul

In view of Maryann's desire for death or being "ravished," which is the driving reason for evoking Bacchus, as stated by the vampire queen, it looks even more possible that the god will show up to take Maryann to her well-deserved fate. The queen did say also that "he never shows" which is consoling to the extent that he will otherwise "kill us all" according to Tara's pronouncement during possession. But what if he showed up enough to take just Maryann? Stay tuned.

August 31, 2009 at 6:56 am | Report abuse |
  2. Paul

Is it possible that the "god" actually shows up, maybe only temporarily, in the final episode before Maryann meets defeat?

August 29, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Anita S.

This episode was beyond funny; I've watched it three times and I'm still laughing. (Jason, Sam and Andy were hilarious.) I didn't mind the brevity (45 minutes) of the episode; it was still fantastic. I also really loved the interaction between Lafayette, Sookie, Bill, and Tara's mom; glad they finally got Tara back. Rutina Wesley is playing the heck out of that role.

"True Blood" and HBO are two of the best things about summer; Alan Ball is a genius. I can't wait for 2010 and Season Three!

August 26, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Betz

ANDY did get controlled by Maryann back in episode 4 near the end at Tara's party, he smashed cake in his face.

@Donna i totally agree with what you said, afew slight dissappointments but mainly just the way some of the charactors look different to how there discribed in the book.

I know what i'll be doing while waiting for next season Reading the books again and watching season 1 and 2 again....=) but please don't make us wait a year.....

August 26, 2009 at 12:51 am | Report abuse |
  5. Kristal

I was surprised when the show ended at 8:45 as well. Got jipped 10 min not cool

August 25, 2009 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Chi_Runner

JheartTB – I'm with you! I've been wondering about Andy for weeks now. Love the show – so many potential story lines here.

August 25, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Donna

Anyone who has read the books upon which True Blood is based knows that practically a chapter does not go by without something to laugh about and that Sookie is always going to be in some kind of mess.
    I think the show is doing a great job of "basing" the show on the books – just enough Hollywood twists; and because it does differ from the books, I still have something to look foward to in each episode.

August 25, 2009 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sylvia

True Blood is Great! As my teenager daughter would say it's off the chain...lol And I was VERY disappointed/cheated that it ended at 9:45 pm...I also was glad to see Jason and Lafayette back to their own self's...I might have to buy the books and check them out once this season is over! True Blood is made by the same guy who produced Six
    Feet Under another one of my HBO favorites!

Congrats to Bill and Sookie finding True Love in True Blood in Real Life.

August 25, 2009 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Sue

Love the series but not last Sunday's episode. It had a very different feel to it...not the same vibe as the weeks prior and my biggest gripe is that is was very, very choppy. Did they run out of time when shooting or editing it?

I hope they are paying attention to message boards and running episodes by focus groups...I think they could learn a lot about what they viewing public wants and doesn't want. Can't please everyone but it would help them stay on the right track.

August 25, 2009 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  10. JheartTB

Didn't Sam mention that Maryann (lose the mole, it's sick) cannot control other supernatural creatures unless they give themself to her? So WTF is ANDY???

August 25, 2009 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Steph

Love the show!! Also angry about the run time . . .45 minutes??? Hopefully that won't happen again. Can someone tell me when the next season begins? Please not September 2010. I won't last that long!!

August 25, 2009 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Andrea

I hope they don't go too far out there. It's getting bizarre. And I DVR'd it and thought something was wrong with my DVR when I saw 45 minutes...lol.

August 25, 2009 at 10:28 am | Report abuse |
  13. WLE

LJ: thanks for reminding people to mark their comments as SPOILER when they reveal information from the books that has not yet played out inthe HBO series. Also hats off to you for calling out the incorrect date of the next season – mid-2010. Someone thought fall 2009. Really??

I also agree that the 45 minute episode left me disappointed – especially since it was SO good. I was not ready for it to end!!

And yes – please give me more Eric!! And Pam!!

Can't wait to see how the season will end, but I wish it would go on forever!

August 25, 2009 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  14. James

there is a funny part in club dead where bubba drinks a true blood and says "thank you. thank you very much." the books are a blast. i recommend them highly to any fan of the show.

August 25, 2009 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  15. James

great show. does anyone know what sookie did to maryanne? that was cool.

August 25, 2009 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  16. douggross

I second the motion on the spoilers. I've tried to encourage folks away from them. Although, in this case, "spoilers" don't carry as much weight as they do with some other book-to-movie projects. The show's creators have traveled far from the Charlaine Harris books on many occasions – sometimes just using the books as a jumping off point.

That said, it's my understanding that, if the creators don't have a change of heart, Bubba won't be making an appearance in the show. He's "left the building," if you will. Thank-ya-very-much.

August 25, 2009 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  17. Lisa

To all the book fans looking for Bubba, according to Alan Ball during Comic-Con, he said there will be no Bubba. To have Bubba you would need an impersonator and that would be corny... Those were pretty much his words... He did say there will definitely be Werewolves, I am hoping that this will be how the season ends.. They introduce the wolves, maybe they will be the ones to off Maryann. He also mentioned that will be bringing in the Debbie Pelts character. Definitely looking forward to the next 2 episodes and next season... Hate that we have to wait a year.

August 25, 2009 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  18. mily

I love love TB I want to see more of eric and sookie omg

August 25, 2009 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  19. L J Ackermann

1. Third Season of True Blood does not air until mid-2010.
    2. If you are going to reveal a pertinent detail from the books, please put SPOILER on your comment.
    3. HBO is repeating episodes on 09/06/09. No new episode on this date.
    4. Season Finale is on 09/13/09.

August 25, 2009 at 8:45 am | Report abuse |
  20. GeeBer

I've loved the Maryann storyline from the very beginning – I honestly don't get what the fuss is about: a show like could (no pun intended) bleed itself dry very quickly if it were only about the vampires, and I feel that Michelle Forbes deserves a truckload of acting awards for her performance – all season, she played Maryann like someone who was a heartbeat from ripping your heart out, and then we found out it was true.

August 25, 2009 at 7:44 am | Report abuse |
  21. Denise

@ tis herself I love the bubba character as well!! I hope they bring him in the show also!!

August 25, 2009 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
  22. GA_girl

Why is there only 2 more episodes? and why, Oh Why, do they have to end the season? LOL I love True Blood!!! I wish it would be more like a daily soap, and just continue to run. I agree with the other posts that Maryann has outlived her "fun factor." I also agree that Erick should be in every scene, in every episode, shirtless! 8D
    HBO, please dont cheat us any more unless you are going to run the season to 40 episodes. 8^P
    Can't wait until next week!

August 25, 2009 at 5:18 am | Report abuse |
  23. candi

True Blood was awesome once again!!! Bravo HBO!!! Thank you, Charlaine Harris, for your Sookie Stackhouse novels!!! I can't wait for the next episode!!!!

August 25, 2009 at 3:17 am | Report abuse |
  24. JDD

Good episode. Not nearly enough Eric. Mmmm Eric.

August 25, 2009 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  25. Michelle Sample

I have always loved vampires. Lestat is my favorite. I pictured someone who looked like Sting that would be Lestat. Tom Cruise did
    a fab job.

However, I love True Blood. It seems probable. I think Eric is the smartest and by far the sexist of them all. It was nice to see him vulnerable to his maker.

Bill is very confused, human, undead. He is both, wants to be human.

I love the show. HBO will make good on the short show. HBO always makes good.

Allan Ball is fab. My husband and I would build our Sundays around Six feet Under. That was creepy.

I thank HBO for the entertainment in these very trying times. My family is very homebound on the weekends. It's very good to have quality shows.

Can't wait to see what the heck happens to MaryAnn. She'sbad.

August 25, 2009 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  26. Elenie_Kassahun

Again.. too short. My brother keeps telling me it's gonna get shorter and i about bit his head off.

I'm a territorial person... Maryann made Sookie's house look like some kind of jungle gym from the Amazon. Not to mention the front of her house looked like a pig-sty equipped with a rotting meat tree. Gross! I starting yelling at the screen. [ insert profanities ]

I thoroughly enjoyed Jason, Sam, and Andy's scene. I laughed too hard. Plus Jason was shirt less and Sam showed us a full moon. Whoo Hoo!

Next time I expect a full episode HBO. Not a measly 46 minutes. You have thirsty Trueblood fans all over the place and you need to quench our thirst.

August 24, 2009 at 10:09 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Betz

I love Jason, Sam and Andy last night it was the funniest episode by far, although Eric in foils is a close second, most episodes have a funny snippet but episode 10 was funny from start to finish i was crying with laughter at the "God" stage and Sam in that apron worried about extinguishing the flares....LOL

I too am waiting for the werewolves to be intoduced, it was a while since i read the relevent book but im sure they were involved in Dallas.

To Tis_herself: i believe Alan Ball has said he won't be bringing "Bubba" into True blood. :( Which i think is such a shame, i was intriuged to see him.

August 24, 2009 at 10:04 pm | Report abuse |
  28. TONY

Fantastic episode, a real highlight of the season!

The Jason as God smiting Sam, an instant classic... too funny!

I am one of the few still enjoying the MaryAnne story line – there is so little to complain about with this show.... one of the best ever IMO.

Maybe except this: I hate the way Stephen Moyer says "Jessica, as your maker I command you...." it rings hollow.

Other than that, perfection.

August 24, 2009 at 9:40 pm | Report abuse |
  29. kb

Just plain love it.

August 24, 2009 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Jeremy

"True Blood" is more than a tad different than the books. The series is great on it's own merits, but having had read the books, I've been extremely disappointed. I am glad the show has it's avid fans and followers so that HBO will keep it up, but it irks me every time I see a comparison from the books. The books, in my humble opinion, are far superior than the series since the show is suppose to be based on the books.

August 24, 2009 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  31. dan w

i'm climbing aboard the "get rid of maryann" train – and yes, why such a short time with godric

August 24, 2009 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  32. True Blood

I'm tired of these bread crumb episodes. I felt a little let down by the the bar scene.

August 24, 2009 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Erika

@tis_herself
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but Ball has said Bubba isn't going to be on the show, not unless you can find a way to bring the real one back...

@true blood writers: can we just get a Naked Eric spin-off please?

August 24, 2009 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  34. eastcoasthoosier

I thought the episode was pretty good but like one poster said a little shorter than usual. Probably the bridge episode for the last two episodes. What a great show.

August 24, 2009 at 6:41 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Bob

Maryann must dieeeeeeeee..............................................

August 24, 2009 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse |
  36. LG

No...I dont want Sookie to be with Eric...I love Sookie and Bill they are so cute. That viking just wants sexy time with Sookie doesn't really love her like bill does. I have to admit TV Bill is hotter then book Bill.

August 24, 2009 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Ms. Toi

I think it's obvious that they don't have enough meat to make this show last. If they shortened last nights episode, they will shorten the next two as well. Sounds like they are not writing this very well. More could have happened when Sookie enters her house. The encounter with Maryann could have been a minute longer. Details, details, details. This is how you stretch a show.

August 24, 2009 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Justin DQ

Thanks HBO for giving me and my friends something to look forward to watch on Sunday nights!... "True Blood" is great because it includes good acting and the story line is different than most shows out there. Last night's episode was short but good. Call me crazy but I enjoy Maryann character (played by Michelle Forbes). She's heartless and powerful. Something about her just makes me wanna hate her but still wanna see her around. I feel sorry for Sam. Jason’s shirtless was hot! Can't wait to see who the 'Queen' is? I'd love to see more drama from the love triangle Bill-Sookie-Eric. Oh and wassup with Sookie’s new power on Maryann? That took my breath away... On and on, love the whole thing... Well, only 2 more episodes so I am so exciting to see what happens next, but sad at the same time... I want more!!...

August 24, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  39. brattymom

Absolutely loved last night!!!
    As a true fan of both the book series and True Blood ( I even got my teen son and co-workers hooked on the show), I love them both-even though Godric is no more (he was a fave). Hope they introduce "Bubba" soon. The books are similar, abut just different enough to make it seem like two different shows – which I guess they are. Can't wait for the weres to pop up (not to forget Claude and Claudine!!!). Jason and Andy teaming up to rescue Sam was priceless!!! I don't think I've laughed so hard since this season started.

August 24, 2009 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Z

I'm with everyone else, why did the show end so early, I was so into this episode that it seemed like i watched only 15 mins. Why did they cheat us this week of 15 mins. I hope the finale is like 2 hours. lol. I'm glad they got Tara back, I was worried, and what happened to Eggs!

August 24, 2009 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  41. kimmy_z

Loved the show last night even though it was shorter!!! Go Jessica! I was laughin my butt off when she bit hoyt's mom I bet that breaks them up to bad they are cute together lol! Go, Jason! Bless his heart! He is such a hoot and maryann as much as I love her needs to get her ass kicked lol!!! Who is the vampire royalty?? Anyway, can't wait till next week. I wish they would not make us a wait a year to return. Why can't they do it every six months???

August 24, 2009 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  42. leighleigh

i love true blood. SO DISAPPOINTED BY THE SHORT EPISODE!! And i am from Louisiana, whats with the horrible southern accents??? Two thumbs up for the return of shirtless jason!!!!

August 24, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Deanb

Maryanne is actually a Maenad, the mad daughters of Dionysius who roamed the land – mad insane and powerful – killing and slaughtering. Its Dionusius dark side when one over indulges. His good side is fertile vines of the earth and celebration of the good things. But like all Greek Gods, they have light and dark.

The Maenads were stopped by the children of Pan, Dionysius good friend and companion, and Priapus, the God of Erection and fecundity. They were stopped by being slaughtered themselves.

A wild Maened amongst our hapless residents of Bon Temps!!!

August 24, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  44. tis_herself

To Lisa: Ooooh! I hope you're right! My friends and I are on the edge of our seats waiting for the Werewolves to be introduced to the storyline. It'll be great if they ever bring in "Bubba", too!

August 24, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Rhonda

The Maryann storyline has stretched on way too long. She's been around all season, but Godric only got 3 episodes?! Totally backwards. From what I've ready, Season 3 doesn't start until Summer 2010! That will be a looooong wait.

August 24, 2009 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Maureen

Mandy August 24th, 2009 12:15 pm ET

Last night’s epidose was so good.
    The parts with Jason, Sam and Andy were some of the best of the night. I can’t wait to see what happens next.

******************************

Absolutely! Great episode, but I could NOT believe how short it was. That made it very disappointing.

August 24, 2009 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Sabrina

True Blood is the truth!! DVR IT..(OF COURSE)..I've gotten so bad that i've downloaded the books, which are a tad bit different...but it's murder on my ink and paper (lol!!)....LOVE TRUE BLOOD

August 24, 2009 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  48. paul

Found this show by accident. Hooked so bad now, I've gone back and watched every episode. I don't usually go for these kind of movies/shows but I can't lie...amazing. Guilty pleasure for sure.

August 24, 2009 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Melissa

I just love this show and I simply cannot wait for next week. It got me so excited that I was actually bouncing at the end last night. I haven't had a tv show do that since the 80's. Its going to suck when it goes on hiatus for a while.

August 24, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  50. kat

I loved the "god" scene!!! Jason was hilarious!! This is the escence of the books–scary situation turns really funny!! I was not really thrilled with earlier episodes this season, but the last two have been better–I, too, am over MaryAnn–banish her already!!! :)

August 24, 2009 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  51. flo

I think the creator has done a great job of portraying the underlying stupidity of cults and religion. Great episode.

August 24, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Andre

Last night was one of the most flat-out entertaining episodes of this series to date. The sexual content is always exploited (in a good way) of which, this episode did not lack. But it was most surprising to see the humor cranked up! A real breath of fresh air. And the Maryann storyline felt genuinely scary to me.

Super fun times!

August 24, 2009 at 1:16 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Trubie

I thought last night's episode became corny at some points, almost like someone else wrote it – not at all like the previous episodes. I still enjoyed and laughed at it overall. As for the episode being only 44 minutes long – DO NOT EVER do that again. I felt cheated and it actually pissed me off a bit – in a bad way. I hope next week's episode makes up for last night's 44 minute "preview".

August 24, 2009 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Angie

The last episode of TB was really funny,especially if you have read the books. This show is exciting,sexy, and entertaining. Jason,Sam, and Andy really pulled off funny last night.

August 24, 2009 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  55. April

I was just wondering why did the show end soooo early? I love True Blood by far the best show on HBO...

August 24, 2009 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Jolie

I've got a few comments. First off, I am definitely over the whole Maryann storyline. It's just not holding my interest. However, I really enjoyed Jason in this episode. Finally he was back to his old pretty but dumb but admirable self. Second, I loved Jessica, Hoyt and Maxine. The way she leered at Jason just made me howl. Third, 45 minutes? Really HBO? After the splendor of last week (admittedly I knew that there was no way this week's episode could hold a candle to Godric's exit and Sookie's dream) I had really high expectations and I cannot deny feeling a little let down at being shorted 15 minutes. Which brings me to my last point.. ...the lack of some quality Eric time. I guess we got spoiled last week with...well...errrr...the.....ummm... abundance of Alexander Skarsgard, but only a fleeting Sookie dream? I know he isn't the star, but I could have used just a bit more (of course he could have been in every scene and it wouldn't have been enough...).

August 24, 2009 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Carrie

Really fun episode! This show just keeps getting better! I've read all the books and love the series so much more!

And, I agree with Mike: we, too, were upset to be jipped the last 15 minutes! That really surprised me when it just ended at such an important moment at 9:45. I am baffled why they did that!

August 24, 2009 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  58. CJ

@ Mike my daughter said the same thing. She thought we were cheated out of the remaining time and was pi$$ed, but in a good way. This show is like crack for me and her. If you've read the books, you will have an idea about the little 'zap' thing Sookie did to Maryann.

August 24, 2009 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Mandy

Last night's epidose was so good.
    The parts with Jason, Sam and Andy were some of the best of the night. I can't wait to see what happens next.

August 24, 2009 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  60. brenda

I love the series but i found last night's episode a trad boring.

August 24, 2009 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Mike

Great episode, my only dislike was that it was too short at 46 minutes. This is the first time I recall a TB episode ending so early, and I've been watching since the beginning.

August 24, 2009 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Lisa

I thought the Jason "God" scene was corny but funny. Of course it didn't hurt to get to see him shirtless or to see Sam's bare bottom.
    I thought Andy Bellefleur was good in last night episode.. The bottle must have been velcroed to his hand. This episode did have a different feel to it, compared to previous. Poor Sookie, after her ordeal in Dallas she get to come back to a meat tree in her front lawn and her house that looked liked some underground cave. So you think the werewolfs will be introduced by being the only being that will be able to put Maryanne out of her misery? I can't wait to see how this season is going to end.

August 24, 2009 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  63. Adrienne

Super show. Looking forward to resuming in the fall of 2009.

Much of my father's family from New Iberia, Bayou Teche, Orleans, and so on. Old family from Wiltz, Luxenbourg many moons ago.

The writing is very good. The actors make the show worth watching.
    All in all it is a success.

August 24, 2009 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  64. Scott

Last nights episode was great. The best series on TV by far

August 24, 2009 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |