August 24th, 2009

Nine Inch Nails surprise audience

Nine Inch Nails kicked off the second show of their farewell tour Sunday night with a milestone in the band’s 20-year history: a live performance of their 1994 album “The Downward Spiral” in its entirety and sequence which stunned the audience of 1,400 at Webster Hall.   This is the first – and could possibly be the only – time they have done this.

The rest of the set featured selections from throughout the band’s career including “Head Like a Hole,” “The Hand That Feeds,” and a cover of new wave singer Gary Numan’s “Metal.”

The band is on its “Wave Goodbye” tour, which continues with shows in New York, Chicago, and Toronto before concluding in Los Angeles next month.

Post by:
Filed under: Music

1. NSM

*sigh*

I was very disappointed to hear this was the last tour and, while I felt lucky being able to see him in Denver earlier this year, was put out a bit that the big stage show went to Jane's Addiction instead of Trent, whose usually the one with the best visuals.

Everyone usually raves about the first albums... but, to me, even though I'd followed NIN for years, I thought he came into mastery with The Fragile and subsequent albums. Ghosts is still my favorite album of all time and its all instrumental~

Ah well...

August 27, 2009 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. E

Was there, it was a great show, powerful, yet intimate, especially because such venues were chosen.

This one was for the fans, and we appreciated it.

PYBO, Trent.

August 25, 2009 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tim O'Keefe

This show was phenominal! It was the perfect way to have my final NIN show!!!!

August 25, 2009 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. Mark

Man that would have been great to see. Those people were lucky. I got to see NIN last year in Vegas on the end of the Lights in the Sky tour. They were awesome and sounded great. I missed the chance to see them on this tour in Charolette, NC. Trent and the boys will be missed in the music industry. I hope he reconsiders and stays with the band and they produce some more albums. But I totally understand if he wants to call it quits.

August 25, 2009 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cindy Gratton

Noooooooooo!!! I should have been there! I saw them in Tampa back in May and Trent kicked a$$! But the Downward Spiral in all of its glory? At Webster Hall? I am so crying NO FAIR!

August 25, 2009 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  6. Staangette

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I live in Ontario and would have LOVED to have seen that! I have seen them 12 times over the years and am very sad to see Trent go. But, at least he's going out in style! I have NEVER seen them do an entire album before! Count yourself VERY LUCKY to have seen this! I wish I could have!!!

SO JEALOUS!!!!