August 24th, 2009

'Entourage': Bob Saget remixed

As evidenced by last week's blog comments, many of you are growing restless with "Entourage." I am no exception. The many comments ran the gamut, from "the show is just alright", to "lose Ashley/she's terrible", to "I need more Ari" and finally, a personal favorite, "It's the only reason I have HBO". I agree with all of the above, and alas, the pressure for the show is on.

entourage

In this week's episode, Vince is awakened to the panic of some "thing" that went bump in the night, while Arnold, the boys' "guard dog" is un-phased by the disturbance. I'm unphased too, for now...

Elsewhere, Eric's first day at Murray Berenson is packed with stimulating dialogue, and I'm officially a fan of George Segal. He runs the place with a brash brand of unforgiving honesty and cynicism, yet he still seems to show genuine care for the business and for the people who make it successful.

Then, the show suddenly takes an interesting turn. Wait, is that Bob Saget?

Now, I don't know about you, but I was taken aback by THIS Bob Saget's personal mojometer. It was pretty much the size of a Cadillac Escalade and I like it! (cue my "Yeah Bob!" shout to the TV).

Saget is the man, and this is NOT "Full House" version either. This alter-ego is like Bob Saget "remixed". Let's call this guy "Bobby Saget". He's slick and a likable tad bit full of himself, laying down the law for exactly what HE sees as the benefit of having HIM for a client.

Meanwhile, another show newcomer, cocky agent/insecure hotshot Scotty Lavin (aka Scott Caan of the "Ocean's Eleven" franchise) tries to woo him and Bobby's not feeling him in the least.

Simply put: Wow. These two Entourage rookies actually bring new flavor to the episode. When you throw in a third new player with a solid contribution from studio exec Dan Coakley (Matt Letscher), his masterfully executed torture of Johnny Drama has me on-board with this new trifecta.

These three fresh faces look promising and I think the show got it right with these guys. I'm not certain exactly how much Bobby Saget we'll get, but Scotty Lavin's newly-minted rivalry with E should be entertaining. Drama's "fury-turned-groveling" unto Dan Coakley was a somewhat entertaining train wreck that shouldn't have cost me any Drama "respect" points, but it did and I'm not sure what side-effects I'll experience as I see Drama in future episodes.

Rounding the show out, Vince's need for security at the hands of a possible stalker made for a compelling lead-in to next week. As for me, I was happy with the show this week. I'm excited to see how things move from here, but wait a second...Where's all my underwear?

Loved, hated, or kinda liked the show? Let us know.

1. Walt Ribeiro

Bob Saget is actually extremely funny – if you've sen his live comedy. Very cool, and entourage is a great show!

November 27, 2009 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. david

whos the hot blonde with bob saget???

August 27, 2009 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  3. Kris

That is not a new persona for Bob Saget. He's always been like that if you've ever listed to interviews of him, particularly when he's a guest on Howard Stern.

August 26, 2009 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Virginia

Loved the episode, have loved the show from day one. Last season was boring, but they have definitely picked it up this season. Absolutely hated Ashley, glad she's gone. Would like to see more of Sloan (love her character) and I love Drama defending Jamie. As for Bob Saget, he's funny in small doses, and that was perfect. And I love that Turtle is finally getting his. Definitely one of the best shows on TV.

August 26, 2009 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Corey

I believe this season is an evolution of the guys growing from boys with cash to men trying to build character and longevity in their personal lives. I think the season is building very well actually. Its turned into a drama more-so-than a comedy. Every character is trying to find their niche......outside of Vincent Chase. They all realize that the Vincent Chase Well will eventually run dry and life must go on. If you are a real fan of Entourage....like I am a fan of the Wire.....all these seasons will connect to one great storyline in the end.

August 25, 2009 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Brandon

Bob Saget is so lame. All he does is say terribly vulgar things so that everyone goes "Wow! Full House Dad is cursing!" Give me a break. If you want someone who is dirty but hilarious, how about Sara Silverman coming on the show.

August 25, 2009 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. m.shulman

I've read a couple of your revew so far, somewhat not happy with this season but I REALLY have to disagree with you on this. I believe this season is the 2nd best season overall (the 2nd season of the series where they make Aquaman I believe is the best). I think this season is very entertaining, very funny, and the characters are growing and not doing the same dull antics they've been doing and wasted much time. The idea they dragged out season 3 by having two parts was COMPLETEY unnecessary, season 4 was pretty good except with the film flopping (made it more for a storyline for season 5) where NOTHING HAPPENED!!! Another movie, not only tanked, but was NEVER created and the audience is still supposed to believe that Vince is this megastar when he hasn't done a good movie since Aquaman! The only problem with this season is there may not be enough Vince, but the other characters in the show are much stronger and DO much more than he does.

August 25, 2009 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Brian

I've always been a big Entourage fan. In my opinion the show is slowly deteriorating. I'm growing weary of the same formulaic approach to every episode (albeit there are still funny parts throughout).

August 25, 2009 at 8:28 am | Report abuse |
  9. Lorna

I loved how Drama defended Jamie on Turtle's behalf. I rewinded it a couple of times because it seemed so visceral. I love how the guys love each other. Vince is who got them there, but they look out for one another. Jamie does need to help Drama, but I would like to see something real smooth that really gets even with that "Executive Guy".

August 25, 2009 at 7:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. Ariel

ENTOURAGE IS THE BEST SHOW ON TELEVISION! PERIOD.

August 25, 2009 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. Jason

Bob was just great this week and I think the rivalry that is brewing looks good. But one thing I am wondering is what is going to happen with Eric's hot redheaded admin. She was in Shooter with producer Mark Wahlberg and god I hope we see some action with her!!! She is HOT!

August 24, 2009 at 11:47 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Erik

Bob Saget is not new to Entourage. He has previously appeared in Season 2. Do you get paid for your columns, or are you an intern?

August 24, 2009 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  13. mikeyp

witness the power of bob saget.

August 24, 2009 at 9:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Anthony

The first couple of seasons I enjoyed and couldnt wait to see the next episode. Now, a few weeks pass and I realize ive missed the show. It has its moments but the show needs something new, new.

August 24, 2009 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. TONY

it was a very good eppy, probably best of year.... George Segal rocks!

August 24, 2009 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
  16. caroline

we miss ari - his were some of the best scenes and episodes. Period.
    starting to get bored with the rest of the cast! drama is the only one with anything interesting going on.

August 24, 2009 at 9:09 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Dharma

It would be funny if the stalker returns Turtle's undies.

August 24, 2009 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  18. CapnKrunch

Absolutely loved the new episode. This season has started slow but I think that the first few episodes have really set up for a strong mid-end season. Lot's of things going on and I can't wait to see how they unfold.

I too am one of the supporters of the show extending to an hour. That would be absolutely amazing seeing as the 25-30 minutes zips by far too fast.

August 24, 2009 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Jason

I'm with you on Scott Caan, and the studio exec guy, but Bob Saget was terrible last night! If you watched that attempt at a comedy special he did a few months ago, you'll see that last night was just an extended version of his act, which isn't funny at all. It only serves as a venue for Bob Saget to use an over-the-top level of profranity that would make a long shoreman say "watch your mouth!". Again, not funny, just pathetic. That whole "can I do a line of blow off of her a**?" is something I am pretty sure he said in his act. It's like watching Bob Saget try and be anyone but Bob Saget, and it's just uncomfortable to watch. His role on Entourage did not make me like him anymore than I already didn't, but it did make me yell something at the TV: "GO HOME BOB!"

August 24, 2009 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  20. No1's Grace Makutsi

Boring .... nothing is really happening ... it's flat .................. I'm now more excited about TRUE BLOOD and reruns of NO1 Ladie's Detective Agency !

August 24, 2009 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Michelle

geez people, its a blog!

The author of the post came on and apologized....get over it, and get a life too while you're at it. Who cares if Bob Saget isnt new, he's new THIS SEASON. That doesn't make his review any less "credible." Obituaries and restaurant reviews? Really?

Nothing like morons who blast writers/bloggers, even after they admit a mistake, simply because they have nothing better to do.

It's a blog, not an article based on facts. Get over it.

Good episode last night by the way.

August 24, 2009 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  22. thedude

Think we'll definitely see some undies on ebay (probably be Turtles though)

Also there is a potential for a YouTube sex video made by the girl Vince spent time with at Turtles college

I'm still waiting for Harvey (Maury Chaykin) to release the re-edited version of Medellin and garner Vince an Oscar nod with it

The Turtle character is just starting to mature and get some much deserved attention – although I wish he had become a success with his musical connections

Drama is in for some interesting times and might actually develop some cache in HW if things go his way in this latest "drama" of his own making

Eric is continuing to grow and his connections wth mid-powered stars wll be beneficial to him

Vince will keep on keepin on – no predictable arcs there that I can see

As long as Wahlberg has stars continuing to line up for cameos in this show and it continues to reel in award nominations and wins it will go on

The backdrop of Hollywood will provide never ending script fodder

August 24, 2009 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  23. FOLEY56

I was laughing at the Bob Sagat moment, he can't be Danny Tanner forever people! Thank God Ashley is gone, she dragged the show to a low. Cant believe I forgot Lloyd was Drama's agent

August 24, 2009 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  24. the L

Salute back at ya Dereyck, you probably could've hopped right back in there and fixed it and then we'd all think that the (somewhat) rude fans giving you a hard time were the crazy ones. Big of ya to just slip into the conversation and apologize. Gentleman and a scholar!

August 24, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  25. BG

When the "highlight" of a show is Bob Saget dropping F-bombs, you don't have much of a show.

August 24, 2009 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  26. Bob

Bob Saget is not new, he was a neighboor to the guys in the second episode. He was pretty hilarous overall. def. a good call on bringing him back.

August 24, 2009 at 2:51 pm | Report abuse |
  27. marty

this show has officially jumped the shark fellas. weak story lines, less ari and lloyd (the true stars of the show) and questionable guest stars. time to move on!

August 24, 2009 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  28. ByGonzah

Show reviewers who miss the basics (like the fact that Bob Saget's been on Entourage before) should go back to writing obituaries and restaurant menus. Credibility shot.

August 24, 2009 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Fortuneman

It was great seeing Saget again! Seeing him so 180 from Danny Tanner cracks me up. And E's "Pizza Delivery" had me rolling!! Seeing Scotty get all insecure with E will make for some funny future scenes. George Segal was an awesome addition to the show. For some reason he reminds me of an older, more mellow Ari. I was almost certain Johnny was being killed off but now my guess is he'll wish he'd been killed off lol. To me this show is still as entertaining as it was when it started. My friends and I aren't giving up on it and I know others feel the same way.

August 24, 2009 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Nic in NY

Love the show. Every cast member contributes evenly. Love Bob's contribution.

August 24, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  31. Jenny

Love it. Only get HBO for this and Larry David. I hope Ashley is gone for good. I need more Ari. Are we going to see Vince's undies showing up on eBay or something? :)

August 24, 2009 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Dean

I seriously can not believe you have a gig writing reviews for CNN, and you have no previous knowledge of Entourage and the past cameo appearances! WOW, I am shocked, seriously that is beyond "newb" status!

This season seems to be picking up better than the "Car Wreck" of last seasons horrible episodes!

August 24, 2009 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Jaime Greer

Forgive me, last night was the first time watching Entorage. If that was an example of what the show has been I need to go out and buy all the seasons,lock the door and have food delivered under it so I can catch up with one of the best shows to come along. OFS
    Cheers
    Jaime

August 24, 2009 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  34. David

This is not the alter ego for Bob Saget. He is raunchy and dirty. The full house version was the alter ego. I love Bob on this show. I hated Ashley and am glad she is gone. I LOVE Drama now. My fav moment was another lack of control when he decked Sean Green in the Vegas Bar... I still am a huge fanof this show!!!!

August 24, 2009 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Dereyck Moore

I salute the diehard "Entourage" fans who remembered Bob Saget's cameos in seasons past. Apologies for not mentioning that in the original post.

August 24, 2009 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Amanda

I'm an episode behind (love the dvr), but I agree with what you said about Ashley, get rid of her. There is something about her I can't stand. But, can't wait to see the next episode with Bobby Sagets return.

August 24, 2009 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  37. rob

Bob Saget is not new to this show, get your facts in order.
    GREAT season so far!!

August 24, 2009 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Kervin

Last Episode was OK! It ended Great – Like Always ..
    FYI – Bob Saget (AKA Bobby) was on previos season of Entourage ..

August 24, 2009 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  39. RaY RaY

Entourage has been an amazing show since its premiere and continues to entertain me and my friends each week. I dont think ive ever missed an episode on Sundays and if i have, i watched it on demand right at 12. Bringing Bob Saget back on the show was awesome. If you saw the first episode he guest stared in then you would have known when he was sitting with the blonde that the conversation that was about to take place was going to be hysterical.

I have only one thing about the show that every week bothers me. It needs to be an hour long. I want more and more each week, not to mention some of the episodes even cut at 24/25min and the intro itself is like 3min. It needs to be an hour long.

August 24, 2009 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Bob Ray

Locomotion begins with a little motion, all of which Entourage needs desperately.

Whether the new supporting case will revive the vibe remains a question mark for me. George Segal is an A+ and the Drama/producer issue is a B, at best. The rest are wait-and-see.

I do hope the show gets back on track before its core audience and fans leave the station.

Getting an audience isn't easy. Keeping an audience: that's the hard part.

We're watching [for now] Entourage. Good luck ...

August 24, 2009 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  41. rachel

Do your research Bob Saget is in no way a "fresh face" to entourage

August 24, 2009 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Tara

Ok so last night was golden! Loved Bob... excuse me, BOBBY Saget's return as the under-appreciated former Full House Geeky Dad. His woman-banging, pot-smoking, cursing turns has given him (as well as others....remember Karate Kid) a chance to show people that he isnt as he was in the past. Loved him last night!

Scott Caan has perfected the arrogant, know-it-all, wannabe charmer! His turn thru the Ocean movies and other similiar projects were brought into Entourage last night. Altho, I kept rooting for E to bitch smack him, but in the end, his face said it all.

Vince has been pushed to comic-relief status, Fine by me! I pondered this last night, if the show is called Entourage, then shouldn't it be about the Entourage not the star??? Stands to reason that its a correct view!

Anyway, Jamie?!? Jamie Jamie Jamie! This guy could be fired because he was defending your honor! This moron of an executive is hunting for Drama who is likeable beyond comparrison and he was attempting to do right by Turtle! You couldnt have tried to help him out in more ways then ridiculing him when he asked for your help! Then you cry to your boyfriend that you wish you could do more!? Tony Soprano stuck up for you when Big Dom made the crude comments at you, you should have respected Drama in the same way! Wait, no Im starting to sound like the type of person who would steal someone's underwear!

Quick change! Teeny gymnast is gone is seems for good! Sloan is making her way back BUT WAIT, what about the secretery??? She's Hot and seems to be one of the guys! Maybe a Hookup for Drama! She wouldnt be offended by Drama's lude comments! Awesome! I can see it now!

Entourage continues to be great, cut it some slack if every episode doesnt make you jump up and down on your couch like a strung out Tom Cruise! Give it time, it always proves itself!

August 24, 2009 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  43. thedude

Saget is not new to the Entourage ensemble. If you remember back in season 2 when Saget was their neighbor with a sizable man crush on Vince. They also had a high end brothel operating in their neighborhood that they all spent time at together with a memorable cock block on Drama performed by Saget – too funny

If you had paid any attention to Sagets stand up comedy routines you would know he has come a long way from the saccharin dad of Full House
    Brilliantly vulgar is an accurate description

August 24, 2009 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  44. Steve

This show is the BEST on TV. Who wouldnt wan tto live their lives? They have to show every aspect of the Hollywood life, and thats why they do what they do by showing the good times, rough times, days off, girls, parties, and the friends!

August 24, 2009 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  45. KG

i dont understand why your talking about Bob Saget like he's new to the show. I loved him in the early seasons. Great episode!

August 24, 2009 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  46. David

I thought it was a good episode and it opened the door for many interesting plot lines. You forgot to mention my favorite new character of the episode...Kate Mara!

August 24, 2009 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |