August 21st, 2009

Can Lifetime 'make it work'?

"Project Runway" fans, we can all breathe a sigh of relief: our beloved design show - for the most part - is unaltered.

Heidi and Tim are still a fantastic tag-team, Nina Garcia was unenthused as ever (loved it), and the drama incubating dorm-style bedrooms looked like they were dropped into La-La Land straight out of Gotham.

But as a “Runway” fan that was by Bravo’s side since season one, I have to admit that this episode was seriously lacking. Whether it’s the move to the left coast or the channel change, I’m not entirely sure, but something was just … off. With the exception of Lindsay Lohan’s judging appearance, the entire show could be summed up with Ra’mon-Lawrence’s runway piece: expected, remotely interesting, and boring.

Where were my big personalities? My Santino or Jay? Or even an instant obvious talent, a la Kara Saun? Yeah, there were a few who showed visionary promise, but none stood out from the pack as “the designer to watch.”

Perhaps I can blame the challenge for “Runway’s” lack of luster. Instead of demanding the designers compose their runway debuts out of sand and broken glass or something equally implausible as they’ve done in the past,  the producers wove in the Emmys, requiring red carpet-worthy gowns from contestants made from $200 worth of Mood fabrics. Again, simply average; nothing we haven’t seen before – a lot like the dresses this challenge produced.

I haven’t lost hope yet, though – between Johnny the former addict, Althea the former Alexander McQueen intern, and Gordana, the Eastern European designer who won my heart when she said “give me a sheep and I’ll make you a sweater,” this season could shape up to be a barely noticeable knockoff of its Bravo predecessors.

Post by:
Filed under: television

« Previous entry
  1. Brad

LA SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The damn rats of NYC have more creativity in their tails than all of LA! WHY THE MOVE?! Come back to the true fashion capital ASAP. Again, this is just my opinion lol.

August 24, 2009 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Millie Bea

Soooooo nuch better than The Fashion Show-sorry Isaac.

August 24, 2009 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  3. vicky fuller

WHAT was MISSING? HEY NEW YORK CITY. DAH

August 22, 2009 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Michael

While I didn't ~love~ the episode, I did enjoy it. And I thought that several of the designers showed some real talent with what they sent down the runway. I was surprised at the elimination, though - it seemed that contestent promised to add some "spice" (although certainly not talent) to the mix.

I plan to keep watching - but then of course, as far as I'm concerned, Tim Gunn is the REAL star of the show!

August 22, 2009 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  5. gingerpeachy

LA, which someone on the show pointed out has a larger fashion district than NY, just doesn't have the energy Gotham has. New York was gritty and that what's this first episode was missing...it was a little too plastic..maybe because it was filmed in LA..

At any rate, I'll keep watching..though why Lindsay Lohan was a judge, I'll never understand..isn't the idea to have someone with gravitas in his/her field make comments? What gravitas, I ask you, does the "on the way out" Lohan have?

August 21, 2009 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Ellalean

It's a show about designers people! so if the show is lacking, it is because the designers are lacking! I didn't find any of their designs to be great and I can say this, because I have been an avid fan of the show from the start. The designers are boring and so are their designs. I didn't even like very much, the winning outfit! I guess it's because I've seen so many great designers on the show.

August 21, 2009 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Christine

People it's only the first episode. The drama usually is not readily apparent in the first episode, the bulk of which is all introductions and they had 16 people to introduce. Give them a chance to work it a little.

August 21, 2009 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. kujie

i wasn't too impressed with their selections of contestants either. THere were no big personalties. You can totally tell that Lifetime did the picking, were Bravo picked really hard edged competetors with obvious talent. These just seem like they would be on any contest lifetime would put together. Heidi and Tim Gun, Michael Khors, and Nina Garcia were their usual fabulous selves. But who seriously wanted Lohan to be there? Are you kidding me?

I do love the fact that they are following the models as well. Those poor girls are at the mercy of not only the designers but the judges as well. For an unusal competition it fun to watch because how the winner is chosen is totally not how most competitions are done.

But if Project Runway is as blasé as the first episode, I think this might be the first season I will not be watching.

August 21, 2009 at 3:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. trish97fish

Agree it needs to be in HD, Lifetime needs to get in the running with the other cable channels. Also agree that there were way too many commerical breaks.

August 21, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Shannon

as a canadian in BC that loves this show, I am unable to watch as we don't get Lifetime here. Now I have to wait until Slice picks up the show to start in September. What a disappointment. I am not sure if Slice will air the 2hr special with the previous entrants. I was not even able to leave a comment on the Lifetime website as it doesn't accept canadian postal code info to register. So, yes, I am disappointed with the channel change!

Project Runway - go back to bravo!!!

August 21, 2009 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dennis

Yah, Lifetime where the HD? Get with the program as they say!!

August 21, 2009 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. soosie

I agree they should have had a more impossible challenge for the first show, but I'm very glad PR is back on. Happy to see Tim and Heidi again and the other judges.

Forget that All star show though. It was so obvious the fix was in for Daniel that it made it hard to watch. He was outclassed by at least 2 other designers.

August 21, 2009 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Elizabeth

I thought it was okay, but I really don't understand the change to LA. What was that about? Hopefully it will come back to NYC soon.

August 21, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Lou in CT

Is it just me, or were there way too many ad breaks?

August 21, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Whatever

It was just the first episode, so I think it is too soon to judge whether or not this season will be as exciting and interesting as the past ones. I mean, i agree that the contestants so far are kind of, well, sort of lackluster and boring, but basically Project Runway is still the same show, and always will be, regardless if it is on Bravo or Lifetime.

August 21, 2009 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Stu

I think I'm in love with Paul. : )

August 21, 2009 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  17. M Lynnet Lane

I think the long hiatus between seasons is causing people to have to get back into the warm fuzzy feeling created by the show. Give it time! AND Johnnny pleasse get counseling. You were a mess last night!

August 21, 2009 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  18. paul adams

Oh please. Get a grip drama queens. The show changed channels
    not planets. It looked the same to me. If you had not know in advance it was a different channel or city, no one would have known.

August 21, 2009 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Justin DQ

I enjoy 'Project Runway' so for me, it's always the same whether it's on Bravo or Lifetime or any channel. Besides, it's only the first week so it's too early to tell if this season is good/drama or not... I really really really enjoyed the 'Project Runway All Stars Challenge'‎. They should do more special episode like that... I'd love to see all the winners compete for the 'All Stars' title, that would be awesome!... Make it work!! :-)

August 21, 2009 at 11:58 am | Report abuse |
  20. LMC

The first episode is always a little lacking. There are too many contestants in the pot. Past seasons don't start getting juicy until they're about a quarter through the season. I thought the first episode was great, and did not fall below my expectations. I have a feeling that this season is going to be a good one. Hello, ex-Meth head, and a couple New York egos. You can't put that all into one cast without getting some drama out of it.

August 21, 2009 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  21. Tiger-99

The thing that was missing the SHOW was not in HD.. I did not enjoy watching it at all becuase you are not getting the same feeling when it was n HD on BRAVO..... I think I am going to set this season out

August 21, 2009 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  22. JACKI

I agree I enjoyed it but something was a bit off,not quite the same.Not so much as to stop watching right now but I don't know give the new place a shot and we'll see.

August 21, 2009 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |