August 20th, 2009

Michael Moore is back

Controversial director Michael Moore is at it again.

The creator of such documentaries as "Roger & Me," "Bowling for Columbine" and "Fahrenheit 9/11"  has a new film  titled "Capitalism: A Love Story." The film is due for limited release on September 23, going wider thereafter.

This time, Moore is taking on Wall Street and the economy. According to his Web site:  "It's got it all - lust, passion, romance and 14,000 jobs being eliminated every day."

In the past Moore has been criticized for playing loose with the facts, including an accusation that text from a Bush-Quayle campaign ad was altered in "Bowling for Columbine." His style has also drawn ire: Many people were also upset by his interview with actor Charlton Heston in the same film.

Moore's supporters and critics will surely have something to mull over with his new documentary. Check out an exclusive preview of the trailer:

Filed under: movies

1. J.D.

While waiting for Michael Moore's movie "Capitalism, A Love Story" to come out, I found this new movie about stock market corruption called "Stock Shock." I heard "Capitalism" is being well received at the Venice Film Fest.

In the meantime Stock Shock-The Movie "Stock Shock" follows several Sirius XM investors through their experience of watching their stock go from almost ten dollars a share-down to 5 cents/share. The movie suggests this might be due to flash trading, greedy hedge funds, "naked short selling" and other market manipulation by high rollers on Wall Street. I don't know if I'm a believer, but at least it gives a good review of how our stock markets are engineered.

September 7, 2009 at 1:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Hassan

Michael Moore is in fact the perfect metaphor for the average American that he claims to represent. He is more concerned about portraying a class war and loosely presenting the "facts" instead of actually presenting a real documentary. Beyond that, I have never once heard him tell Americans (rich or poor) that they need to take personal responsibility for their own actions. Has anyone ever heard him encourage Americans to educate themselves as to 1) what they are signing (mortgages, credit card applications) or 2) what they are spending (LCD's, IPOD's vs. basic needs)? Of course not. He would never do this because he would never want to alienate his audience. Its much better to paint a portrait of a wealthy conspiracy against the middle / lower class rather than explain to people that much of Americas current plight has a lot to do with their decisions. It is this refusal by him to treat all Americans even handedly that dilutes any credibility he has. He values selling tickets (just like the capitalists he bashes) vs. addressing unpopular topics.

September 2, 2009 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lynne

Can't wait to see this film- Micheal Moore is a genius! It's interesting to see angry comments- totally illogical to be against the person who is advocating for fairness for working citizens. Maybe some of you would prefer to just sign your paychecks over to United Health Care or AIG directly? Isn't capitalism grand?

August 27, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Scott

Moore is brilliant! His critics' comments (see below) smack of mindless middle class wannabes who are drinking the oligarchs' Kool Aid. They need to get a life.

August 23, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Mark M. in Tampa,FL

Patrick Green (et al who improperly use this phrase):

The correct phrasing is: "One wants to eat their cake and have it too" and NOT "One wants to have their cake and eat it too".

There is a difference.

In the first instance, one EATS the cake, but still WANTS it - not possible. In the second instance, one WANTS their cake and then they want to EAT it, which is possible to do.

What you CANNOT DO is eat your cake and still have it too.

August 22, 2009 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. Bob

What kind of stories can he come up with now? Oh I'm sure he will come up with more Bush hate crap. Maybe he can throw Sarah Palin in also.

August 22, 2009 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  7. Mark M. in Tampa,FL

Hit them where it hurts, Michael!!!

I've viewed Michael Moore's films and find them very informative and valid in the issues and concerns covered. I very much look forward to this latest work.

As to my background, I was a loyal IBM employee (13 years) who was told (and many others in my department) prior to Christmas in 1994 that we were to be laid off, even though at this time our line of business (Network Hardware Division) was making a profit. I worked contract positions around the USA up until September 2001 when the world changed forever (for me and others). After 3 years and 9 months of unemployment, I was finally able to find a part-time position that would hire me (everyone else tells me I'm over-qualified), but the work was crap (ripping off people who called to enter a drawing and then having to sell them mag subscriptions if we determined they had a credit card).

I've bounced about since then looking for gainful employment without luck - currently, I'm working for a company that treats me like a 3rd class person (1st class are the full-timers, 2nd class the part-timers allowed to have more than 30 hours per week and benefits, and the 3rd class such as myself who are kept at 28 hours/week to keep us from getting ANY benefits).

Something is VERY WRONG with our country and it is NOT the fault of those of us who seek to earn an honest living, it is with the RICH and POWERFUL who now have us in the palm of their hand and are squeezing the life out of us. I don't expect to ever see the six-figure income I worked my way up to (performing contract work designing printed circuit boards for major companies), but I would like to hope to live long enough to see a livable wage and health coverage for one and all. Why is such an unfair wish???

If you have the good life now, don't look behind you because what brought me and others down is going to do the same to you too - not IF, just a matter of WHEN.

August 22, 2009 at 9:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. TJ

I have seen many of Michael Moore's movies because I believe it's important to know all sides of an arguement. My issues with Mr. Moore stem from his pandering lies and misdirection as truth. From many of the comments posted here I can see that there are a great deal of people who have been duped. Here are some of my favorites:
    1) We invaded Iraq following 9/11 – that is simplistic. we also aided tsunami victims after 9/11. We invaded Afghanistan following 9/11 because the Taliban would not hand over the man responsible, Osama Bin Laden. We invaded Iraq in 2003 (not immediately after 9/11 as implyed by some commentors).
    2) Michael Moore is a patriot – no, he isn't. I agree that patriots question and seek to improve their country. Moore doesn't do that, he is a United States hater. He thrieves on the dragging of the US through the mud. If he is so dissatisfied and hates the US then there are plenty of countries that would welcome him, Iran and North Korea come to mind.
    3) For all the commentors that posted about name calling, I guess it's only "ok" to do it you're left wing then? So making fun of Sarah Palin, Rush Limbaugh, and a host of others is ok as long as you are left-wing? Grow up.

August 22, 2009 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  9. Philip Holden

Funny how people resort to 'mindless' name-callings as a platform for constructive,democratic and fair arguments (if such a thing exists). Rantings by 'mindless drones' only gives the opposition more armo to lunch effective strikes. Disagreeing with Moore based on the fact that he is fat is beyond idiotic (these criticism coming from the Fattest country in the world). State your facts, come up with irrefutable points and stop the blind rantings...

August 21, 2009 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jayfish

"In the past Moore has been criticized for playing loose with the facts, including an accusation that text from a Bush-Quayle campaign ad was altered in “Bowling for Columbine."

CNN is supposed to be a news organization right? Well start acting like it. It's your GD job to tell us whether the accusation from that quote is true or not. Either he did it or he didn't do it. This idea that you have to present both sides of an issue is balderdash. Especially with regards to issues of fact.

August 21, 2009 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Bring it on

I love how one of the worst things people can think to say about Michael Moore is that he's overweight.

"Here's a blatant truth about the sneakiness, corruption and misinformation that's going on every day on a massive scale in this country."
    "Oh yeah? Well, well....you're FAT!"

That's awesome. Keep it coming, right wingies. The louder you scream, the easier our job becomes.

August 21, 2009 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
  12. craig

capitalism sucks.

August 21, 2009 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Rochelle Raszeja`

Michael Moore is an overindulging idiot. He thinks by filming with a camerman he shows the truth and justice. It's the lefties that are sneaky and hide their misdoings. Wait until this country gets a load of the healthcare reform. Ask Europe and Canada! Mr. Moore is one-sided throughout his films, let America see that you can show the other point of view ( the truth ) and decide on their own. I thinks he too scared.

August 21, 2009 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Vbabe

I don't know why his movies are called documenteries, they're not even mockumentreis, there's a whole new catergory for his movies CROCKUMENTEARY!!

August 21, 2009 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. tcam

Michael Moore's problem is that he honestly tries to get the facts out.
    And that makes many people very angry.He does have an opinion, but it's based on the facts. They seldom are wrong, but if he missed something, it's an honest mistake, not the intentional disinformation pushed by others i.e. "Death Panels".
    The bigger problem is that so many people willingly believe the disinformation and will scream an yell loudly so that they don't have to face the truth. And then when they lose their jobs, or their health insurance, or get denied procedures due to an
    insurance claims panel deciding that they don't need the care
    their doctor deems important, they won't see that they brought it on themselves. They will never accept that government is not all evil and that sometimes regulation of capitalism or health care is done for their own good, let alone for the good of the country.
    Keep it up Michael Moore. Sometimes people have to hear what they don't want to hear. Your push on issues for justice helps us all. Even those who want you silenced. Too bad they'll never understand that.

August 21, 2009 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  16. Joe

What amazes me is that despite all the trouble we have had on issues the MM is covering in his documentaries, guns, health care and now wall street, some folks, though small minority, still see with w/ his documentaries rather than the status quo.

So, is all good at wall street, is all okay with health care ?

Pleases don't shoot the messenger. He is only trying to help us.

August 21, 2009 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  17. Debulator

The only one who thinks Michael Moore is important is himself.

August 21, 2009 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  18. Britt F.

For those of you who are making stupid comments about his weight and features, grow up! If you don't like Michael's movies, then say why you don't. Shows how educated you really are. You can call him fat but can't say why you don't agree with his veiws. His movies show truth. Someone has to help open the world's eyes to the problems plaguing this country.

August 21, 2009 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  19. Andrea

The scariest part of this article is the list of comments by readers afterward. When people in this country are more concerned with how "fat and ugly" a political protester is, rather than the motivations behind that protester's behaviour, it just goes to show how lazy and apathetic the nation has become. At least someone's fighting for you, which having read your comments myself, I'm not sure I'd be willing to do.

August 21, 2009 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  20. Beth

If his looks are all you can criticize, then you must be too stupid to criticize his politics.

August 21, 2009 at 9:10 am | Report abuse |
  21. Beth

I love his films. Can't wait to see this one.

August 21, 2009 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  22. carki

2> Love or hate Coulter but her documentation has never been questioned. She knows the difference between her opinion and a fact. her facts are always painstakingly researched and documented.

****************************
    cough, b@llchyatt, cough

August 21, 2009 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  23. the L

I am a Democrat and what really sad is the right wing extremists will stop reading right there. The thing you need to do while watching a Michael Moore movie is consider the sources. When he's conducting an interview you can pretty much tell if that person is a reliable source or not. I've found in "bowling for columbine" he was more fair than in "farenheit 911". I was hard pressed to find many facts in his attacks of George Bush. I hate George Bush and wanted to see him picked apart, but ultimately as the credits rolled I felt bad for him. What's even more sad are the idiot masses who watched "f-911" and took the info as fact when clearly the majority of it was invented.

August 21, 2009 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  24. carki

Debra R August 20th, 2009 6:35 pm ET

He degrades all real journalists with his “documentaries”
    His facts are all made up in his head
    He spreads hate and lies with his bilge
    He has about as much factual investigating as Dan Rather and mary Mapes
    He has the propaganda genius of J. Goebels

There! Not one mention of what he looks like as I am not a hate mongering, narrowminded, ignorant, whiny cry baby like the rest of his fans.

Is hating George W. Bush all you morons can come up with?
    ***************************************************
    Have you ever even watched any of Moore's documentaries? Have you ever researched his information for yourself instead of relying on Pontifus Bloatius Limbaugh to interpret? I know you haven't.

The difference between us is that I don't mindlessly tune in to Fox 24/7 to be spoonfed facts. I try to read a book a week, and I watch at least one documentary with my daughter a month. The last one we saw was about Monsanto. What have you done to expand your knowledge beyond right wing windtanks?

August 21, 2009 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  25. Chris

Never will watch anything this trash man makes.

August 21, 2009 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  26. carki

Jawg August 20th, 2009 5:45 pm ET

Hey Bubba,

You mean like all the Americans exercising their right to free speech in these town hall meetings, only to be likened to a dinner table. Or how about when the dirty politicians tell them they won’ t listen to their dissent (oh, but, I thought dissent was patriotic – LIARS).

Somebody above had it right: if Moore was worth his salt (and that would be a lot of salt) and cared about the truth, then his roads would have led him right back to DC and the likes of Nancy “I need a G5 jet this weekend to take me to Vail” Pelosi!
    ************************************************
    Sometimes the stupidity on the right is truly frightening. Security for members of Congress was never an issue until a Congressman visiting Jim Jones' camp in Ghana was brutally murdered. Since then, security for Congress has been beefed up, and sometimes, especially when leaving the country, they are provided transportation.

August 21, 2009 at 8:49 am | Report abuse |
  27. carki

Vill Simspons August 20th, 2009 5:08 pm ET

Considering how much damage he did to Kerry’s campaign, I’m starting to think he’s a closet (if you can find one large enough) Republican.
    *******************************************************
    In light of new developments, it is abundantly clear that the fake Swiftboat/terror alert combination Tom Ridge confirmed cost Kerry the election.

August 21, 2009 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
  28. Shane McGuire

I have seen the last two flicks he has made and have not been impressed. In particular his targeting of the 2nd Amendment.

I am not a pro-gun advocate, however I do own several as restored antiques. Nevertheless, I don't want any Government intinty taking that right from ANY citizen of this country. Whether you agree with personal firearms or not, this is not the point of the 2nd Amendment. Its point is to ensure that you have the right to change your mind and defend yourself if necessary.

In any event, I hope in this aspect he will put his talents to good use and back some of those Fat Cats into a corner and grill them good for the darn mess this country is now facing.

I can tell you I have seen enough of my friends in trouble and losing their homes because of their stupidity. My personal opinion is the banking system and Wall Street are purely at fault.

August 21, 2009 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  29. Jim

I love the fact that there are idiots who are already guessing what the context of the moive is going to be, even though it has not been released yet. Give it a chance to hit the big screen, then criticize. So far, I've really enjoyed Moore's films. It takes guts to stand up to corporate America (whether it be the health care industry, NRA, the presidency, or wall street). I'm looking forward to this movie!

August 21, 2009 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  30. CHad

"Its funny how Americans (living with a false, invented and percieved sense of Freedom) react when any inconvinient truth is spoken. Living with an already “pre-madeup mind” complex which only filters out what is already pre-concieved and has been thought out for them by the ‘mass-media’ and their Government only makes it harder for any truth to be accepted…
    Ps: lets see if this comment makes it on the blog"

Are you talking about the same "pre-made up mind" you seem to have in your head about Americans? And if you really think that this only happens in America, you are utterly idiotic.

August 21, 2009 at 6:49 am | Report abuse |
  31. Jason C

We all know that Michael Moore films are not always factual BUT they certainly are eye openers. it's so very easy to dull out, not care..it's easier not to care..about financial issues and so on, you just assume your Government is taking care of you, true?
    No. With films like Mr Moore's and other films like "The Yes Men" which is a "must watch" The biggest objective is for u to open your mind and start thinking for ourself, ask questions, demand answers!

August 21, 2009 at 2:26 am | Report abuse |
  32. Bob R

Proof that some people can't think for themselves.

"Rob II August 20th, 2009 5:39 pm ET

Michael Moore reports FACTS!!!!!! When Bush was sitting there with that stupid (albeit normal for him) look on his face on 9/11/01, that wasn’t computer generated!!! When Bush invaded IRAQ after 9/11/01, when we knew that the culprits were in Afganistan, that wasn’t an opinion, that was a FACT!!! When the people in New Orleans were dying and it took 3 days to get the Red Cross there, but only 1 day to get to Typhoon ravaged Indonesia…again a hard FACT!!! "

MM takes facts and puts his own spin on them. At best his films are "docudrama."
    - What should Bush have done when he was told about the terror attacks? It was more like a look of surprise on his face.
    - Yes a fact we went into Iraq. Rob II here for some reason believes we were chasing the 9-11 culprits in Iraq. Wrong. There are many reasons we went into Iraq. Numerous UN Security Council Resolution violations, bad intel that he still had WMD (something Hussein himself admitted he wanted the world to believe because he feared Iran).
    - And finally Rob II's best doozy of his post, it took 3 days for the Red Cross to get there. Gee, I didn't know the Red Cross was a part of any government, much an organization that takes orders from the government. If you really meant the federal response, go ask the governor of LA, or ask the NO Mayor why hundreds of bus sat under water because no local govt official wanted to use them for evacuation. As for a Fed response, the US Coast Guard, Navy and Air Force helicopters were busy from the start rescuing thousands

If you're going to throw stones, make sure your own facts are straight, and don't use pieces of the truth. There a reason when courts swear people in for testimony they promise to tell the WHOLE TRUTH.

August 21, 2009 at 2:18 am | Report abuse |
  33. Jawsfan

Those of you with nothing important or relevant to say, please resort to childish name-calling. Some of you are already way ahead of me on this.

Thank you.

August 21, 2009 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  34. Britt

Cool, further proof that Bush and his buddies should be in prison. Next he should do a film about this country's affinity for god, the imaginary friend for grown-ups.

August 21, 2009 at 12:32 am | Report abuse |
  35. TINO KANO

MM HAS CLEARLY PROVED THAT HE IS ALL THAT!!!!!!! TO BE CAUSING SUCH CONTROVERSY. IF U DONT LIKE HIS VIEWS U DONT HAVE TO WATCH HIS MOVIES SIMPLE AND STRAIGHT FORWARD. ITS A FREE COUNTRY

August 20, 2009 at 11:20 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Tim from Ohio

I LOVE Michael Moore. He is a mastermind and the greastest filmmaker of my time. God bless you, Michael Moore. You are the grestest of all!!!

August 20, 2009 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Matt

Stop complaining about the guy's weight!!!

August 20, 2009 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Makar

I do not care who Moore is bashing or not, the fact that he is asking questions which are related to each and one of us makes him a good Documentary maker.

Many people say he is using only one side of the story – well why the other side wont make another movie which would put all Moors argument into a big "fat doubt" – but there isnt any.

The bottom line is that people are loosing their morgtages on houses ,loosing their jobs ,which affect not only the USA and the politicians are doing whatever they wish.

Show me a politician that was forced to sell its house and move to a smaller one ......????? I didnt see any yet.

August 20, 2009 at 9:39 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Debra R

Can you please stop comparing Michael Moore to the likes of Will Rogers and Ann Coulter?

1> Will Rogers was noted for not insulting anyone. Moore is the bizarro of Will Rogers. Moore has never met a man he hasn't hated.

BTW in order to be a patriot you have to love your country. Michael Moore has stated he HATES this country....what kind of patriotism is that?

August 20, 2009 at 7:47 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Monkey Boy

Danny is probably a republican Christian

August 20, 2009 at 7:36 pm | Report abuse |
  41. kyle

I'm sorry what Susan, I wasn't paying attention to you.

August 20, 2009 at 7:34 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Philip Holden

Its funny how Americans (living with a false, invented and percieved sense of Freedom) react when any inconvinient truth is spoken. Living with an already "pre-madeup mind" complex which only filters out what is already pre-concieved and has been thought out for them by the 'mass-media' and their Government only makes it harder for any truth to be accepted...
    Ps: lets see if this comment makes it on the blog

August 20, 2009 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Shawn

When I first saw the headline The New Michael Moore..I thought that he was skinny..maybe went to Jenny Craig...but no..

August 20, 2009 at 7:30 pm | Report abuse |
  44. maria

Wow CNN, you accuse him of being loose with facts? He took Gupta head on when you accused him of fudging the facts in Sicko, and HE WAS RIGHT! You just lost yourself a CNN viewer. Also, quit with the name calling...calling him fat just makes you sound ignorant and childish, his weight has nothing to do with his brain. I'd rather be fat and smart than skinny and stupid.

August 20, 2009 at 7:11 pm | Report abuse |
  45. SteveBTucAZ

You libs are missing the point. We conservatives will defend the rights of Michael Moore to spew his vitriol to our deaths. We just wish he would make a small attempt at providing both sides of the story. And to be quite honest that goes for Mark Levin and Hannity, as well.

If Obama said this, I would have so much more respect for him...

"You know FOX is in the tank for the Republicans, but that is OK, because MSNBC is in the tank for me and the Democrats. Is anybody else at least marginally grossed out by Keith Olbermann's obvious bromance crush for me?

August 20, 2009 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  46. DD

even though Moore is outspoken in most cases, why is it that because he is so "fat" as somany say, that this premise makes him a bad point maker? Does that mean that all "fat" people are pathetic and dont have a right to speak out on what they believe?

August 20, 2009 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  47. nugun

Michael Moore....

Is a lying propagandist. He knows most Americans are too apathetic to ever research anything. So he uses misinformation to sway opinion. Even though most of the statements in his movies are quickly debunked.

For example, it's already focusing on AIG. Ignoring Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac, which have a LOT more blame. I am sure he ignores the fact that this wasn't capitalism. It was a very heavily regulated industry, one that was tied extremely close to many members of Congress (ie: Senator Chris Dodd).

And I doubt it'll focus on the real problem. Our nation's deficit spending and continual devaluation of the the dollar. This requires that the Federal Reserve constantly create a series of bubbles and busts and dollar devaluations. In a system that continually devalues an individuals savings.

August 20, 2009 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  48. MadMax

This partisan bickering and name calling has to stop if we are to save our Republic. Everybody has a right to believe and say what they want. Unfortunately however, these tactics distract us from the truth, which is, that we are nothing more than a crop that is cultivated and harvested for our cash. It doesn't matter who you vote for Democrat or Republican, they are just going to pick your pockets in different ways.

The most interesting thing to me is outsourcing and NAFTA. Arguably two of the worst things to have ever happened to our country. The middle class is decimated. These two things alone will bleed good jobs from this country like a slit throat for generations if they are not stopped.

I don't see anyone doing documentaries on the long-term effects of these two disastrous policies, the reason being that a few more people might awaken from their sit-com induced slumber and actually try to change this charade.

Excerpt from article by John F. McManus, The New American.

The deliberations of the Constitutional Convention of 1787 were held in strict secrecy. Consequently, anxious citizens gathered outside Independence Hall when the proceedings ended in order to learn what had been produced behind closed doors. The answer was provided immediately. A Mrs. Powel of Philadelphia asked Benjamin Franklin, "Well, Doctor, what have we got, a republic or a monarchy?" With no hesitation whatsoever, Franklin responded, "A republic, if you can keep it."

Will we? Frankly, I think we've already lost.

August 20, 2009 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  49. JD

Amen Tracy! I can have a much more intelligent conversation about American politics with a Canadian. Unfortunately I live in a state where people consider Toby Keith a "true" American.

August 20, 2009 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Bryan

Thank you, David, for your comment. I feel exactly as you do. I saw my buddies die or get blown all to hell in Nam for the alleged benefit of THESE fu**ing morons??? Hey right wingers, I expect you to write thank you letters to your credit card companies for them raising your interest rates and/or cutting your credit limits. The latter will lower your credit score, which will entice your creditors to either raise your rates more or limit your access to credit. Probably not a big deal for all you right wing wingnuts who, we all know, NEVER carry a balance on your cards. And these attacks on Michael Moore's physical appearance, please – this is SOOO third grade. You people ARE dining room tables.

August 20, 2009 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
  51. vicki in canada

I am quite excited for a new Micheal Moore documentary. Even though (like most everything else in the genre of politically charged documentaries), it has to be taken with a grain of salt. But some of the other commentors have it right. The same thing happens of Fox News every day. Glen Beck is just as "crazy".
    (and i'm glad he's not on CNN anymore!!!). So if you don't like ..... don't watch.

Also I wish more people would watch or re-watch sicko with health care reform back in peoples minds. There is so much misinformation and out right lies about the reforms that Americans deserve to see what other options are out there. Here in Canada there are not long waiting lines for emergencies, only SOME elective options (or options that are not necessary) and I can go to the emergency room without worrying that it will bankrupt me. Now maybe that is my "evil socialist values" talking but I kind of think that EVERYONE deserves that kind of treatment!

August 20, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  52. Joe

Welcome back Mr. Moore. Appreciate your guts in taking these "bulls" by horn.

Great job in Sicko, I just recently watched it when someone recommended it to me. Most people live insurance industry abuse what you showed in the movie every day.

Pre-existing conditions, denial of service on some flimsy grounds, high co-pays and deductibles to make sure people are discouraged to use it.

Excellent work indeed!!!

August 20, 2009 at 6:54 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Right in the Middle

I love it that Michael Moore can get people so riled they must resort to attacking his appearance, as if weight has any direct correlation to intelligence. If that indeed were the case, where would it leave Oxicotin-king Rush Limbaugh? Keep telling the story Roger - let truth and evil grapple in the full sun and the truth will win out.

August 20, 2009 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Sheryl From Michigan

The Republicans hate Mr. Moore because they can not handle the truth. The media never tells us the truth about what is going on in our country. I appreciate Mr. Moore shining a light on issues. I have seen everything he has ever done and I am looking forward to the new movie.

August 20, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  55. bill

The standard right wing comments BEFORE the facts or intent are known is laughable. At least the right wing nut jobs are always good for a laugh and who doesn't need to laugh these days!!!

August 20, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Rob

What America has is Laissez-faire capitalism for the poor and even the middle class and socialism for corporations and the upper one or two percent of the population. People have supported this pathetic system out of the hope that they will become one of the upper one or two percent. They may finally be learning that they will probably not be able to exploit 98% of the world's people. Having Bush the Lesser as the face of capitalism is a stroke of genius on Moore's part: both are abject failures.

August 20, 2009 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Todd (not the Alaska Separatist)

Have any of the wingnuts making anti-Moore comments actually seen one of his movies? And the question is not why Moore is fat, it is why you are so uninformed. A steady diet of Faux News and Rush? Good to see you wingnuts angry. Get used to it. Can you say "demographic shift". Good, I knew you could.

August 20, 2009 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Gerhard Magnus

Michael Moore once wrote a book called "Stupid White Men," about conservatives and how all they're really good at is character assassination. Now they're calling him fat....

August 20, 2009 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  59. Roberto

Mr. Moore is an American hero. Remember way back during his Oscar acceptance speech when he had the GALL to say that the war was based lies? How right was he? Keep at it Mr. Moore! The American people and the world need more of you.

August 20, 2009 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Texasmamma

Why is it that when people can't speak intelligently when they differ with an opinion, they become rude and obnoxious and attack the messenger!!

Michael Moore, keep up the good work! You're an American hero!

August 20, 2009 at 6:44 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Joe

Michael Moore movies are just like Hollywood movies. Entertaining, but mainly fiction.

August 20, 2009 at 6:38 pm | Report abuse |
  62. Cecile

Michael is my hero! His movies are great, I love his mind, and I could
    not care less about his weight. I look forward to this new movie also.

August 20, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Keep it up Michael

Love it- Going to be another Oscar or Golden Palm for the greatest documentary director EVER. Keep it up Mike-

August 20, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  64. Jon

Psayre, it was before 1937. The reserve was created in 1913 and helped worsen the great depression. I'm unsure why you would say 1937.

August 20, 2009 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  65. Debra R

He degrades all real journalists with his "documentaries"
    His facts are all made up in his head
    He spreads hate and lies with his bilge
    He has about as much factual investigating as Dan Rather and mary Mapes
    He has the propaganda genius of J. Goebels

Is hating George W. Bush all you morons can come up with?

August 20, 2009 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  66. AHiredGun

When I see all the wingnut comments on here, I KNOW Michael Moore is doing his job the way it needs to be done. Keep up the good work Michael.

August 20, 2009 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Michelle

Kevin Dillon, well said!!!!....We need ppl like Michael Moore to expose these white collar hypocrits who is out to reck what s left of this country....seein the media aint doin such a good job!!! ...

August 20, 2009 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  68. Michelle

How igorant are most of you leaving a comment on Michael Moore's weight or looks? You have nothing else to come back with other than the rant of a adolescent child?? In fact, Michael Moore's truth and knowledge and willingness to expose it, thereby esposing himself, to ridicule from igorant non truth believers is pretty sexy....which is more than i can say about your childish rants!

August 20, 2009 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Barbara

The right wing media machine and political figures make the most amazingly inaccurate claims against the left and whine bias if anyone tries to call them on it. Michael Moore taking accurate shots at the right is a welcome change.

August 20, 2009 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  70. TK

okay, you want no name calling? Here: "These bastards who run our country are a bunch of conniving, thieving, smug pricks who need to be brought down and removed and replaced with a whole new system that we control". How dare I be 'high-schoolish", right? Right from the Horse's Patoot. Yep, it's Michael Moore from his book Dude. Educated fellow. Well polished.

How about this one: "there is no terrorist threat".....wow. No terrorist threat....Soooo, 911 was a ruse? How about the USS Cole? Al Queda declaring a Jihad on us? Educated fellow indeed. We should listen to him more often. Brings up brilliant points. If he was held accountable for ALL of the things he said (like our Politicians), I get the crazy feeling he wouldn't have a second campaign, let alone a first.

August 20, 2009 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  71. Chris

For those of you who are hoping for another grilling of the conservatives in the country, I think you may want to watch the trailer. It looks like he is going after both parties in this one. And let's be fair, it was a democratic president and a democratic congress that gave the financial and automotive industries $80B of our tax dollars.

I usually disdain the Great White Whale (I thought it funny that a guy as fat and out of shape as he is would film a documentary on healthcare...), but I may actually agree with him in some respects on this film. We'll see...

August 20, 2009 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Alfred Know

Michael Moore sees the world clearly through a liberal set of glasses according to some but he is pretty good at holding up a mirror to ourselves and asking why we should put up with obvious idiocy, wherever we may find it. Good example: this is the only country in the civilized western world that would allow someone to attend a rally toting an assault rifle outside a venue where the president is attending. Try that in England, France, Germany, Sweden, Italy or Australia! Some countries that might allow this of course would be countries like Iran, Libya and Syria. Weird company huh?

August 20, 2009 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  73. FCapitalism

Capitalism is the true root of all the worlds ills. The IMF and the World Bully (Bank) need to be desintigrated.

August 20, 2009 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  74. Andy

I think he's a good citizen for bringing up these serious issues. I happen to agree with most of his politics but do find some of his tactics over-simplified.

I think "Sicko" is his best movie. He really exposes both the Dems. and the Reps. and how they have been bribed by the health care industry for years. It's a really interesting movie folks. In my experience, our health care system needs some kind of change and his movie does a fine job explaining where it goes wrong.

p.s.
    Why do so many people post about his weight? What does that have to do with anything? It makes me not want to read your post at all because you sound like a child.

August 20, 2009 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  75. Spock

I think we should put Michael Moore and Rush Limbaugh in a cage together and let them fight to the death.

August 20, 2009 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Eric

Capitalism doesn't need to be regulated.
    The Government is what needs to be regulated.

The Government comes along and tries to control everything by playing with the money supply and creates copious sums of free money that it then gives to the banks, who then have nothing better to do but to make risky loans, and then, when the whole thing comes crashing down, it turns face and accuses the banks of making risky loans, ignoring that there is no risk when the bank gets the money for free and when, should the loan default, the gov. will just bail the bank out. So what is the proposed fix? Blame capitalism, artificially regulate even more with government, so that the next crisis will be even more unavoidable.

This documentary should be called:
    Socialism, the Capital Destroying Pipe-dream

August 20, 2009 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  77. Diane in Pomona

Michael Moore is the Will Rogers of the 21st century. While I cringed at his interview with Charlton Heston and did not feel it was necessary, I applaud his chutzpa. Why do we allow the sale of bullets that tear up a persons body once they enter? Why can't we have accountability of politicians? Why are 47 million people in this country uninsured while insurance companies are making some of their biggest profits?

Yes, I will stop watching Michael Moore, when they pry the remote from my cold dead hands.

August 20, 2009 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Levi

Watch Zeitgeist Movie. Moore isn't any more "one-sided" than anyone else. He's not a genius, and he doesn't have to be democratic, he's not an elected official. I really wish the general populace really knew about how this country was founded and on what principles before clinging to fairy tales about cherry trees and christian foundations.

August 20, 2009 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Rich

Michael Moore does it right. He presents his views and people have a choice whether to watch his movies or not. The insurance company stooges who have been disrupting town hall meetings are forcing their views on others, and drowning out civil discourse.

August 20, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  80. Sam

Wow, look at all the hostility directed at Mr. Moore! It comes as no surprise that the vast majority of derogatory comments come from people who from the looks of their posts can't spell, punctuate, or compose a sentence properly...in other words, knuckle-dragging, mouth breathing Fox News watchers who get their opinions spoon fed to them by Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and the various talking heads at Fox News.

As for Michael Moore...go get 'em Mike! We need somebody to tell it like it really is and to put the right wing in its proper place.

August 20, 2009 at 6:05 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Patrick Green

Simply put, the man wants to have his cake and eat it too. Remember the famous "Fiction" speech when he won an Oscar? "Bowling for Columbine", while entertaining, should not be called a "documentary". It, too, was fiction. Using cute editing to make a point is fine. To call it nonfiction is wrong. I'm not going to go into detail about those untruths, but the bank giving away guns, Charlton Heston's "Cold dead hands" speech (the timing thereof), the rocket plant in Colorado, and the disgusting slander of connecting Dick Clark to a welfare mother whose son shot himself are a good start. I gave up on him after that. He's a huckster, and that's putting it nicely. You folks that fall for it are obviously so deluded and biased that nothing he does will ever offend you. I just ignore him and hope he goes away. I've got actual facts to seek out.

August 20, 2009 at 6:04 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Eric M

Michael Moore will do what he does best, generate controversy to sell movie tickets.

In the process, he will encourage people from the right to see his film (either on the big screen or DVD) to point out errors and go apoplectic. Cha-ching!

He will also lure in college kids and other adults who think that watching folks squirm in ambush interviews are hilarious. In other words, he's the bleeding heart liberal equivalent of Borat...except he's not playing a character. Amazingly, some people think this is comedy. Cha-ching!!

He will also get the bleeding heart liberals of the far left to back his cause du jour through the use of distorted facts (that they will never even attempt to verify) and a emotional narrative that portrays people that agree with him as good people who sympathize with the tough hand being dealt to everyday folks by the selfish, uncaring people who disagree with him. Not only will they watch it, they'll suggest it to others, but the DVD, and donate to groups like MoveOn.org that echo his sentimental approach. Cha-ching!!

Funny how this multi-millionaire filmmaker is going to continue to rail on big business and the rich...all the while raking in the dough from a huge corporate movie studio with each ticket sold.

August 20, 2009 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  83. mitch

its funny to read all the fat and ugly comments. seems like a bunch of school yard bullies. but if memory serves me right, those kids at the school yard are trying to cover something up or really dont have anything to say. how childish, grow up. i dont like ann coulter so i just dont pay attention to her. if you hate him this much, why did you click on the article?? Mike – do what you gotta do, we will still be behind you.

August 20, 2009 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Chris in San Diego

Funny how many of the people here who say that MM tells nothing but untruths have nothing to say about Faux, I mean Fox News. I think a 24/7 stream of lies is worse than 2 hours once every year and a half...

That said, even with the half truths and distortions he has in his "documentaries," he has more good information that most talk shows.

August 20, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Anna

Danny and Brent your comments are oh so constructive and mature. At least have something relevant to object to.

August 20, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  86. Craig

Since when did a persons weight, or looks, determine if they're trustworthy or competent?

And to site Steve August 20th, 2009 5:12 pm ET "Do any of you think you’re getting anything resembling unbiased facts from your chosen political party? He’s giving you facts that you would otherwise never hear about. If you can’t separate his opinion from them, maybe you should take a step back, return to school, and stay away from voting booths." Very well said!!

August 20, 2009 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  87. JD

Michael Moore for President!! There – that should get the right-wing blood boiling.

August 20, 2009 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  88. moonchild

Moore may be a pathetic ass to some but to others he brings the truth.....which sometimes can be painful

August 20, 2009 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  89. asikes

I'm just glad that someone has the courage to voice unpopular ideas. The fact that the Soviets and their minions fatally perverted socialism is no reason to ignore the fact that capitalism–and the vast inequalities of wealth that it causes–is indeed a cancer upon the globe that will kill us all sooner or later.

August 20, 2009 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Daisy

Like it or not, the man has a lot to add to the conversation. Look at Sicko......and what's happening now. He may not be my favorite person in the whole world, but I value his voice. We need it in the age of the Limbaughs and Palins and Hannitys and Coulters.

August 20, 2009 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  91. Kevin Dillon

from the preview it looks interesting and it doesn't look like either side is immune to his wrath. It looks like it was made in the middle classes defense. Of course this is all based on the small preview but I've found he has been pretty accurate in the past. Do the Saudis get special treatment? Yes. Did Iraq have anything to do with 9/11? No.
    Can I buy my meds cheaper in Canada? Yes. (about 1/7 the cost) Was GM on the wrong path? Yes.

August 20, 2009 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  92. JR

I'm a Republican, and I'm going to watch this and LMAO. I will thoroughly enjoy this movie, but I also know that as always, he'll leave out big fat pieces of the story...

...Like Congress spending their asses off without a clue as to how anything is going to get paid for. Doesn't matter, just WRITE THAT CHECK WITH OPM, BABY!

Btw, as to RobII, facts? Honey you didn't see Michael Moore's interview where he laughed and freely admitted that F911 was propaganda? Created to promote his political agenda?

Where have you been?

August 20, 2009 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Is

It's amazing how many people criticize without concrete facts. Yes he may use sensationalist tactics to get points across but attacking him because he is 'fat' and 'pathetic' seems a hair 'middle-school-ish' to me.
    One thing I learned as a Middle school teacher: Don't argue with immature children... and adults.

August 20, 2009 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
  94. Chris

Michael Moore is a true American Patriot in the deepest sense of the word and generations from now will look back on his work as the muckracking of our time. We need about 5-10 more like him to actually put a dent in the umbrella of mass media's multinational corporate alliance w/Washington and Wall Street to dumb down the population into utter submission. If "Mainstream Media is dominated by the Liberals" why did Moore start as an Indie director whose prominence grew through decades of tireless work while we're inundated w/the clones of Fox, Limbaugh, Anne Coulter, ect in a relentless onslaught. As far as I'm concerned Michael Moore is actually a moderate and only scratches the surface- but at least we have one who actually has found his niche.
    GOD BLESS YOU MICHAEL MOORE YOU MAKE ME PROUD 2 B AN AMERICAN!

August 20, 2009 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Eyes open

Wow, Danny. That's a really intelligent statement.

August 20, 2009 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Ron

The United States IS populated by a bunch of no-nothing people. And the lower the high school graduation level goes, the more brain dead people there will be out there on the streets. We are just a bunch of sheep, being led to the slaughter, by right wing groups like those that say health care is all about "killing grandma." What a joke we all are!

August 20, 2009 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  97. TK

Michael playing 'loose' with the facts is like saying N.Korea can be a little frustrating to the international community. The guy is an idiot. You remember in his 911 movie when he ask a senator if he would send his son to the front lines of Iraq and the Senator gave him a funny look? That's because the Senator didn't have a son! He's as fair and balanced as an Iranian Broadcasting Center! How about this one: he makes his case as clearly as Former President Bush; you know what he's trying to get to...but you just have to grit your teeth when he tries make his point.

August 20, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Ziggy

Michael Moore Is A Pathetic Ass!

August 20, 2009 at 5:46 pm | Report abuse |
  99. david

when people resort to discrediting a person by negatively pointing out physical characteristics of that person, or myopically reviewing the real facts, I am forced to myopically refer to them all as sub-morons. Moore has his point of view, and so far this country allows him to publish it, and I for one fought for those kind of rights on the battlefield. To those who would trade freedom for fascism, intelligence for ignorance, vote for Sarah Palin again, as she truly represents you and your narrow, self serving point of view. Moore has courage, you are cowards.

August 20, 2009 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  100. Jawg

Hey Bubba,

You mean like all the Americans exercising their right to free speech in these town hall meetings, only to be likened to a dinner table. Or how about when the dirty politicians tell them they won' t listen to their dissent (oh, but, I thought dissent was patriotic – LIARS).

Somebody above had it right: if Moore was worth his salt (and that would be a lot of salt) and cared about the truth, then his roads would have led him right back to DC and the likes of Nancy "I need a G5 jet this weekend to take me to Vail" Pelosi!

August 20, 2009 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  101. rockytex

can't wait to see it. perfect timing too!

thanks michael moore!

August 20, 2009 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  102. B

I think the point of his movies is to spark conversation about the issue at hand. Whether you like it or not...he made you talk about it.
    Mission accomplished

August 20, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  103. Randy

Michael Moore is no more "looser on the facts" than Rush Limbaugh. If you give either of them more due than daily entertainment value, then you probably need some serious therapy.

August 20, 2009 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
  104. Rob II

Michael Moore reports FACTS!!!!!! When Bush was sitting there with that stupid (albeit normal for him) look on his face on 9/11/01, that wasn't computer generated!!! When Bush invaded IRAQ after 9/11/01, when we knew that the culprits were in Afganistan, that wasn't an opinion, that was a FACT!!! When the people in New Orleans were dying and it took 3 days to get the Red Cross there, but only 1 day to get to Typhoon ravaged Indonesia...again a hard FACT!!! Now many of you may want to offer excuses for his behavior, but again it either makes him evil or incompetent! You choose and those who choose to ignore FACT is just as big of an idiot as he is. "the truth needs no proof, either it is or it isn't, there is no substitute for the truth"

August 20, 2009 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  105. scott brookdale ca

Tracie in Canada
    Take me with you. I'm ready to leave. I want Obama to succeed but the right wing kooks and brainless masses won't allow it. They loved the failure of the last 8 years so much they think they can't have the good.

August 20, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  106. Jarod

Not a Republican, you must be a corporate type. Every time you post something, you love referring to the lower middle class and the poor as some misguided, lost, dumb masses who cant think for themselves. You may not be a republican but youre an uncaring, probably unproductive moron none the less. Quit ragging on everyone and start becoming part of the solution to make AMERICA and her peoples (to include the ones you apparently loathe) lives better.

August 20, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  107. Deb in Vegas

If I want facts, I'm probably not going to go to a movie theater to find them. Doesn't matter WHO made the movie.

August 20, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  108. Colin

I dont know why some people can be so closed minded to events that are taking place and need to be addressed or fixed , Mr Moore as got the balls to atleast make these issues public for all of us to witness and decide what is right and wrong. ...Way to go Mike, Your worth every Penny you make and more....too bad we didnt have more like you out there.

August 20, 2009 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  109. Alicia

Great for you Michael Moore. I was wondering when you would come out with another enlightening movie. By the way, for all your Right-Wing Wackos .. I used to be a Republican, until I woke up and smelled the bull-–. Anyone that believes Palin is great, Bush was the best President this country ever saw, and that Obama is a Socialist, needs to stop listening to Limbaugh, watching Beck, and get a life! Oh, and don't forget, get your head out of your a–!

August 20, 2009 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  110. mark alan parker

Way to go, Michael! Can't wait for the new project from America's foremost documentary film maker.

August 20, 2009 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  111. Jarod

Laurel, keep your nose in Canada's business not ours. Duke, Brent and Meg, you three are the epitome of losers.ie. Cant stand hearing the OTHER side of the story. You guys must be the rich b*stards who like keeping us little folks down. Well guess what, your days are over. You will be voted down at the ballot box at every step of the way. The silent majority will be heard, AGAIN, very soon!

August 20, 2009 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  112. Fred L. Fraud

When will he finally do a cartoon?

August 20, 2009 at 5:32 pm | Report abuse |
  113. Paul

Michael Moore proves you don't need annoying little things like facts gettnig in the way of good propoganda...

August 20, 2009 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  114. rafa

He lost his touch some time ago...

August 20, 2009 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  115. lacutis

He does bring up some valid points and issues that deserve some deeper thought. Where I draw the line with his films is the fact that he does not offer them as brain teasers or something to make a person think but rather as if they are so factual and everyone else is all wrong. I don't trust politicians and more then the average American, but I have to say I trust a Soap Box Barker even less. Besides, he timing always seems to be a little off which shows a bit cowardly.

August 20, 2009 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  116. JC

Love him or hate him, he gets people talking about important issues!

August 20, 2009 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |
  117. Larry

Michael's movies are not one sided. They are the facts. It saddens me that the people that are being hurt the most by the health care/insurance industries are being so mislead by the bought and paid for polititicans and news people. They will be the ones without health care. I have mine.

August 20, 2009 at 5:28 pm | Report abuse |
  118. Andy

All of those people who call him a socialist or communist...PLEASE tell me the definition of a socialist or communist. But I guess thems book learnin' words and you probably won't know them.

August 20, 2009 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  119. Ronch

I find it funny that Moore is making a satirical film about capitalism, when he's just going to be lining his pockets with this movie.

August 20, 2009 at 5:27 pm | Report abuse |
  120. Philbert

Now what's all this? What does whether or not Moore is fat have to do with anything? Lots of people are fat on either side of whatever issue he happens to explore–ugly,too. Can't we raise the level of debate a bit? Sheesh!!

August 20, 2009 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  121. Omar Haleem

Love this guy!..

Good to see him back in action!...

humph, i asked cnn repeatedly to ask Michael about his opinion on obama's health care reform, apparently there was a mixup, hence the repeated spoofs on MJ. :(

Go Michael!

August 20, 2009 at 5:26 pm | Report abuse |
  122. Tracy Tolchard

Here We Go Again,

Americans wake up and smell the coffee....Michael Moore has more fact than fiction in every story that he tells....However the average American doesn't get it....!! How do you get it, when most know little to nothing about what exists outside of their own "State" that they live, let alone their own country.....!! No one wants to be told the truth, especially American's, as it seems that would make them seem weaker, or less powerful in their own minds.....I would say the average Canadian knows more about American politics than the average American....!! Sad but true!!

August 20, 2009 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
  123. Play fair

I really wish we could keep political conversation polite and factual. Democracy requires an informed electorate, and free speech ought to include responsibility. When discourse turns to name calling (ugly, fat) it suggests that the name caller has no legitimate argument. I do not believe that the thin and beautiful have a monopoly on intelligence and truth. These blogs all too often seem like the intellectual equivalent of a grade school shouting match. Perhaps our democracy would be better served if we refused to print anything that contains unsupported ranting. Maybe we should go back to the days when newspapers (and their modern equivalent) required one to sign one's name?

August 20, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  124. Not a Republican

Come on fellas...don't you know Michael Moore is just Fred Savage in a fat suit (Family Guy reference for those who don't get it...)?

All jokes aside, MM needs to shut his fat mouth. His movies are not factual, consist of re-edited interviews to show the words of many out of context, and often interlaced with straight up lies.

Granted, he is tackling issues that NEED to be addressed. However, the champion of these issues needs to be filled with Honesty, Integrety, and unbiased conviction. Michael Moore is filled with lies and twinkies. He has an angendy: TO MAKE MONEY. And he chooses to make his money by playing off uninformed and undereducated people's emotions.

And who pays to see his movies? The vast majority are in the lower class / lower-middle class. He is taking money from those who are poor (and tricked into attending his movies for a 'civics lesson') and lining his pockets. He could single handedly fund shelters and programs in his 'hometown' of Flint Michigan (yes, he is not actually from there, its like a person from San Antonio saying they are from Dallas), and improve the lives of thousands with the money he has made off of their unfortunate lives. But he likes being rich more than he likes the people he says he is looking out for.

This man is worse than the ultra conservatives and corporate sleezebags he pretends to be championing against.

This man needs to go away, for the good of America.

August 20, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  125. Jim

Anyone who thinks Moore's works are "eye-opening" are only seeing what they want to see. This man is incapable of producing a factual, unbiased piece as he is only trying to promote his own agenda and opinions and dressing them up as "documentaries". Of course, when he is called out on this, the brown nosers are quick to call the skeptics "close minded". The reality is quite the opposite...

Just because you agree with his agenda doesn't magically make him correct in his half-baked assertions and half-truths.

August 20, 2009 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  126. Mary

Fat and Ugly .......wow....that makes me so not interested in anything he has to say.....actually not since the 2nd grade has that kind of nonsense worked on me. Pity to say it still seems to carry value. So next time please post your picture too so we can assess your attractiveness then determine if the 1st amendment applies to you also.

August 20, 2009 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  127. Niv

Michael Moore has never told a FACT or TRUTH about anything in his life. I think movies like this are a good idea to spur debate but when it is filled with lies it only create ire and hate.

August 20, 2009 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  128. Joe

Michael Moore is a talented rabble rouser whose work accomplishes nothing in the end. I don't know why people take him so seriously, but then I could say the same things about Newt Gingrich. Give me the actual facts, please. Spare me all the axes you have to grind.

August 20, 2009 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  129. Bapslap

Moore is an entertainer, just like Limbaugh or Coulter.
    They each have a medium (movie, radio, etc.) and entertain via that medium. Of course they are biased and present a one-sided view...therefore no one should take anything they say as "news." Look into all sources yourself and gather differing opinions to determine your own truth.

August 20, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  130. logicman

I see a number of comments attacking Mr. Moore's appearance. What on earth does that have to do with him making documentaries? If you can't leave an intelligent, non-childish comment maybe you should refrain.

August 20, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  131. Robear in Ojai

No doubt Michael Moore may be unnecessarily confrontational and "loose with the facts" at times, but his jarring social commentary is a much-needed wake up call to the masses of Americans who are so heavily sedated with the opium served by their financial institutions, governments, and media outlets. That's where the real lies come from.

Yes, watching him sometimes makes me cringe, but if that's what it takes to keep me alert... Go for it Michael!

August 20, 2009 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  132. RA

Apparently he is not a fan of capitalism although it made him rich, fat and unfortunately, famous. So is he is a big fan of socialism or communism? I am not sure he (or the rest of either) would do so well in worker's paradises like Cuba and North Korea. I am hearing they dont pay filmakers much in those countries and I am not sure he could say what he wants there either but at least their health care systems are world class.

August 20, 2009 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  133. Laurel, Canada

Another liberal/socialist movie, BORING!! Just once I would like him to present both sides of a debate but that would too democratic??

August 20, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  134. Steve

For those of you who seem obsessed over his weight, shut up and go pay attention to Sarah Palin.

For those of you upset with his films with no cited reason, try watching some of those films.

For those of you upset with facts, go give your money to a Republican.

Do any of you think you're getting anything resembling unbiased facts from your chosen political party? He's giving you facts that you would otherwise never hear about. If you can't separate his opinion from them, maybe you should take a step back, return to school, and stay away from voting booths.

August 20, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  135. Susan

I do not read his books, I do not watch his movies. As far as I am concerned this guy "DOES NOT EXIST" Life is too short to pay attention to stupid people.

Susan

August 20, 2009 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
  136. LBW

He is always bashing the USA, but he would never make the money he makes doing that in another country. In some countries he would be put to death.

August 20, 2009 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  137. Tim

Just once I would like to see these producers or editors of movies and magazines dedicated to either ultra left-wing or ultra-right ideals use their talents to create works that that honestly try to explain both sides of the issues. But then, in our society you have to "extreme" to get any attention.

August 20, 2009 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  138. Vill Simspons

Considering how much damage he did to Kerry's campaign, I'm starting to think he's a closet (if you can find one large enough) Republican.

August 20, 2009 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  139. rtl

Everyone has a right to free speech but you shouldn't be able to put out a documentary with "untruths". Prove your claims or shut up. You shouldn't get the publicity with inaccurate stories. Jon Stewart SHOWS clips that prove his claims. Michael Moore...not so much.

August 20, 2009 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
  140. Daniel

anyone that says he is fat and ugly probably are themselves....

August 20, 2009 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |
  141. Ariana

YES! I love you Michael. Keep speaking the TRUTH and giving us FACTS! The right hates that!!

August 20, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  142. Cevin

DC works for Wall Street. The comment that the truth would lead him back to the capitol is uninformed at best. Follow the money.

August 20, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  143. Xavier

Michael Moore rocks, and his documentaries are eye-opening. All you Michael Moore and healthcare reform haters should take a good look at Sicko and then get back to the rest of us about how awesome our health insurance really is. Shoot the messenger if you want – trust me he doesn't care – all it does is highlight your own closeminded stupidity.

August 20, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  144. Brad

The reason the right hates Moore so much is because he points out how wrong they are adn they don't like facing reality. Go Michael Moore!!

August 20, 2009 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  145. Eric

Moore's next movie should be called. "Dude, Who Made Me Fat?" This guy is a no talent. Really.

August 20, 2009 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  146. Rainyalaska

I was hoping this guy would quietly disappear. He thinks he is doing the U.S. a favor by the movies he makes. They're just irritating and not factual. He has an agenda and uses motion pictures to voice his opinion. I've never seen him be fair and present both sides equally. I was really hoping he'd stopped making movies.

August 20, 2009 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  147. Bubba

High blood pressure and strokes for the far-right loonies coming right up. Sample comments: "How DARE he exercise his right to free speech?" "Someone must STOP him!" "Was Borat real?"

August 20, 2009 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  148. Dan

His movies are so one-sided they're not nearly as funny as the Daily Show or Colbert Report. I can only image this movie will gloss over the part of congress enabling people to buy homes they can't afford and having Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac finance it. It will probably be some "rich get richer" thing with some contrived interviews and mini-documentaries. Comedy Central would do a much better job.

August 20, 2009 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  149. Joe American

While the premise of this movie is interesting, Michael Moore is still a douchebag.

August 20, 2009 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  150. Macswain

You left out the part about CNN's history of being "loose with the facts" about Michael Moore.

Seriously, you at CNN are surely aware that all reporters, journalists, documentary filmmakers will make a factual error somewhere along the way. Moore has proven that his rate for truthful factual assertions is something like Calvin Murphy shooting free throws. On the other hand, CNN's rate is somewhere around the Mendoza line.

I only take this cheap shot because of the cheap shot you took at Moore.

August 20, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  151. Meg

Michael Moore needs to do the public a favor and quit making movies...and talking.

August 20, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  152. Brent

Mike Moore SUCKS and is a liar.

August 20, 2009 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  153. Duke

mr. moore your fat and pathetic – get a new job

August 20, 2009 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  154. Charles Harold

I don't mind (or care) if Moore riles the right or not. What I'd most like to see is the indolent masses who aren't crazy or greedy (I optimistically insist that this is the great majority of Americans) wake up a little bit and take note that capitalism is fine when regulated but cancerous when left to itself. It's not the god d*mn Second Amendment that's under fire but the lower and middle classes.

August 20, 2009 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  155. Psayre

I'd like to know exactly where Moore found any "capitalists" as the U.S. Economy has been a Corporatist/Socialist hybrid since 1937. You can not have "capitalism" in a country where "capital" is controlled by the federal Government and the Fed in conjunction with Multi-National banks, and where supply and demand are regulated through taxes, tariffs, embargos, and subsidies.

Moore is clueless...if he was really interested in the truth, that Wall Street demon he is chasing would lead him right back to Washington D.C.

August 20, 2009 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  156. Danny

Michael Moore is Fat and so very ugly.

August 20, 2009 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  157. Stacie

Um, it's Charlton Heston factcheckers.

August 20, 2009 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  158. vadiva

The M.I.A. track is right on for this type of movie. LMAO!!!

August 20, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  159. Ron Howerton

Glad to see Mr. Moore is back at it. Hope he riles the right as always!

August 20, 2009 at 2:46 pm | Report abuse |