August 17th, 2009

An appetite for horror stories

It’s official. Social media has reached a new high in the world of television … and the world of television has reached a new low. Deliberately.

I received a PR release from Rooftop Comedy last week. Apparently the broadcast network MavTV has come up with the ultimate show in TV/Web convergence. The show will allow users to submit text, photo, audio or video content to be paired with professional comedy clips.

Its title? “That Sucks.”

Now, there’s a great appetite on the Web for people’s horror stories. From FMyLife.com to FailBlog.org, we love to know that our own lives aren’t quite as bad as someone else’s. But does an entire television show about how much things suck cross a line?

According to the release, the show’s premise is really that simple:

“At the heart of ‘That Sucks’ is ‘Sucksbox,’ a web and mobile platform that asks the public to respond to a single question: ‘What do you think sucks?’ ”

What do you think? Is this focus on failure going too far? Or is this viewer/producer convergence a great idea?

Filed under: television

« Previous entry
  1. celerydog

I love rooftopcomedy, but I don't get Mavtv. That really sucks!

August 19, 2009 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Garfaloo

I think it's a good idea. I work in an office and I have a lot get off my chest. My boss makes innapropriate remarks towards women all the time. I would never tell him to his face, but he sucks! Lol! I like the idea of a sucksbox site.

August 18, 2009 at 5:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. KennyNYC

Actually pretty cool to see other people vent. Funny stuff. Just submitted a gripe myself.

August 18, 2009 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. stephanie

TV at a new low with comedians and average joes airing their opinions?

What's next?

Celebrity Rehab?
    Wife Swap?
    Wipe Out?

Sounds like a step up to me

August 18, 2009 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Yerdup

i think it's brilliant and funny. somethings just really do suck and now the world has a direct platform to share these woes and find some laughter along the way.

August 18, 2009 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jackie in Dallas

All reality shows cross the line...into boring. Possible exception is Dancing with the Stars, and even that has lost some of its sparkle. But all of them are strictly voyeurism, and show the dumbing of American through our desire not to have to think.

Reality shows are cheap to make, in comparison to shows that require writers, creative talents, and actual actors. But I would trade all the reality shows on TV for one decent "Hill Street Blues" or "Carol Burnett" or any show that actually has a story line, talented actors, and decent writing. These days, I'll watch HBO, Showtime, Discovery, Bravo, but haven't had the three commercial channels on since the last episode of "ER". And it will stay that way until commercial TV either goes out of business all together (a distinct possibility) or get back in the business of making real television.

August 18, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |