August 12th, 2009

Judges respond to Paula's departure

Paula Abdul has left "American Idol" and her fellow judges are finally speaking out.

Among the responses, in a handout tape provide by Fox:

"I'm kind of in black, because I'm mourning," said Kara DioGuardi.

"She was like my best buddy, really, on the show," said Simon Cowell. "and you only realize how much you miss somebody when they're not there. So I'm sad."

Abdul might not be out of work for long. She's allegedly being pursued by other networks for spots on other shows, but nothing has been nailed down yet.

Filed under: Uncategorized

« Previous entry
  1. kopiwm

Копилка онлайн денег - Не можешь запасаться круглую сумму?
    Неутомимо тратишь вебмани и яндекс деньги?
    Теперь поглощать сервис где ты можешь скопить мелочь, сам выбирай дату съема денег и смотри сколько вебмани и яндекс рублей накопил.
    Скопи касса, купи то, который ты хочешь.
    Копилка создана только для вас.
    Попробуй выше сервис и мы уверенны, что ты еще не единовременно будешь запасаться электронные деньги дружно с нами.
    Это удобно, это надежно, это выгодно.
    Запасаться аржаны в интернете- сегодня это легко.
    Наблюдай за своим балансом.
    Добавляй электронные деньги.
    И ты получишь кругленькую сумму именно в ту дату, которую выберешь сам.

November 12, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  2. схема монтажа теплых водяных полов

ок завяжу на узелок

June 16, 2010 at 12:04 am | Report abuse |
  3. Previous Idol Fan

First we lose Paula and now she is replaced with Ellen??? What a big mistake. Why don't you go ahead and replace Simon with Rosie? That would be the end of Idol forever.
    I can't imagine this show will last after this fiasco.
    I will not be watching anymore.

September 9, 2009 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  4. tnhighc

i agree, we should be able to get a rise out of people over much more important issues, like the economy, healthcare, rising deficit. But, when people just keep drinking the koolaid and swallowing all the crap handed down form the White House, what do you expect?
    Americans need to wake and spit out the load of bull being shoved down their throats before they all choke!

August 20, 2009 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  5. tnhighc

Nothing against Paula personally, but I really would not miss her at all. She hardly ever has any substantive comments to make. She often seems confused, reaching for something to say. She seems to mostly comment on their appearance and how she "feels" about them. The other judges all make good, critical comments and suggestions. As mush as some people dislike Simon, he knows the business and he knows what works. I don't necessarily always agree with his opinions, but I respect them. Randy is without a doubt extremely creditable and absolutely knows the business as well. Kara proved herself to be a good judge with good, meaningful critiques. You just can't say any of that about Paula. So, I say, if she is unhappy, fine, bring in someone who's opinion will actually have merit.

August 20, 2009 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mm

It is a little sad that Paula will not return, but I have faith in Idol. Idol can't wait to see what you have in store for us this year. Please don't disappoint us!

August 17, 2009 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. Goodbye Paula

who cares...Idol is a horrible show anyway. Fox can't come up with any good shows to play during the week, so they put on 2 hour blocks of Idol every other day during the week.

Paula is washed up and and needs to come to terms with that...

August 14, 2009 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. tony

Paula Abdul judging dancing? That would make sense.

Paula Abdul judging singing? Gimme a break.

August 14, 2009 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Kathy

It would have been better to have gotten rid of Randy/Dawg.

I never could understand why he was on the show. At least Paula was a little entertaining. I'll miss her but will bet that Kara/Simon will have a few great run-ins.

I'll bet many people who state they won't watch the show really will, how can you not??? For me, the show would only die if Simon left...love him, he's the only honest part of the show.

August 14, 2009 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MJP

What's really a shame is that we can't get this kind of rise out of the American public for issues that really matter, like the current wars in the Middle East and the fact that millions of Americans can't afford healthcare.

August 14, 2009 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  11. Magik

I hated Kara from the baffling minute she appeared on the show.
    She seemed to compose her critiques out of what Randy said a lot of the time & they were delivered with AI 'cliches'in a overly excited tone that totally irritated me.I felt unconnected to her.
    It's ENTERTAINMENT I like & want & the funny chemistry of Paula & her polar opposite,Simon was GOLD!
    Yes,as people have said it's about the talent,but those people's personalties are not showcased the way the judges are.Rarely do those talents have a riveting personalty as well as singing talent,anyway.(Adam Lambert one exception as a fascinating entertainer.)
    So we have our judges as our PERSONALTIES.Simon & Paula are both loaded with personality & their mix,the SAVVY CUTTHROAT & the EMOTIONAL,SWEET SIDEKICK was the entertainment!
    Simon obviously had a sweet spot for Paula & it was delicious & funny to watch.A classic boy/girl flirtation.
    Also, Paula has had the career the new talent is wanting,their dream to be before the public.She understands them,each one, in regard to their yearning to sing & be the Idol.I LOVE her emotionality,seldom seen on television or anywhere.
    GIVE PAULA HER MONEY & BRING HER BACK!!!!!!!

August 14, 2009 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  12. daisyl

Seriously, WHO CARES????

August 14, 2009 at 10:31 am | Report abuse |
  13. Viola Smith

Canadians love Paula, the show won`t be the same without her, or as interesting. She added something special to the show, and no one else can replace iit.

August 14, 2009 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  14. jloome

In a day and age when most people don't even understand the breakdown of their utility bill, this drivel gets hundreds of responses. I guess...shame, that would be the appropriate sensation.

August 13, 2009 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  15. eva

BRING BACK BRIAN DUNKLEMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and keep Paula too.

August 13, 2009 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Simpatica

You blew it guys....you let Paula go...you will pay for this;
    I will NOT watch idol anymore and I can see it happening...
    your audience will start moving away...far away....
    Paula, thank you for making AI worth watching in the past.
    Have a good time without AI and enjoy!!!!!

August 13, 2009 at 5:39 pm | Report abuse |
  17. karen G

I hate to admit this but I love Simon and agree with majority of the comments that he says about the contestants..BUT we needed Paula and her sensitivity to the participants even if sometimes not quite sure what she is going on about but that was the show! Randy and Paula teaming up on Simon is classic stuff to watch..Last year I feel that the producers made a huge mistake with Kara she is just an idiot. Not sure what she added to the show it was more of turn the channel til Simon, Paula and Randy had something to say..I agree get rid of Kara give Paula the raise that she deserves and lets go back to what works for the show and increase the ratings with Simon and his comments, Paula and her weird ways and Randy with "The Dog" commments. Letting Paula go is a huge mistake but why listen to the public when they are usually right about what they want to see and from all the comments it appears they want Paula back and Kara the one to leave..

August 13, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  18. boycottidol

yes. I will not watch or purchase any products that advertise on idol. period.

August 13, 2009 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse |
  19. isabel

I will not watch without Paula. She was the best thing about the show. Ditch Kara and bring back Paula

August 13, 2009 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
  20. darcell

I will not be watching without Paula. I like when Paula and Simon fight and then love each other again.

August 13, 2009 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  21. Lisa J

Kara is an insignificant and unnecessary addition. She added nothing, but at the same time I don't hate her. I am not a big Paula fan, however, I like Paula, and I think she knows her stuff. Without her, the show is not complete. A body has parts – there is no need to add a third leg (Kara) that no one needs, and then take away the right arm (Paula) that it definitely needs. Hopefully American Idol will rethink their stupid decision. Come up off the cash and pay the lady.

August 13, 2009 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. sumamen

It's just television people. Paula was good, but honestly, she always had the samething to say herself.

August 13, 2009 at 7:17 am | Report abuse |
  23. Sharon

The producers/network are making a major mistake by not renewing Paula's contract. Her presence balances Simon and Randy and gives a good industry perspective and credibility to the show. Ratings, which is the name of the game, will suffer without her. The show will lose viewers, including me.

August 13, 2009 at 5:12 am | Report abuse |
  24. Frank

As a judge, Paula seemed to "love" every contestant. Seldom did she give honest, objective feedback. To me, that's not what American Idol should be about. A lot of fans will miss her because she was on the show for so long. She seemed to be mostly window-dressing. I think Cara is much more music-savvy, being a songwriter and performer in her own right. Simon will miss Paula because he loved to pick on her and their "spats" back and forth were somewhat amusing. Overall, I'm not sad at all she's left...I still can't really figure out her popularity. She had very modest talent as a singer...was arguably a better dancer, but more than anything seems now to be just a famous celebrity due to Idol. I think she'd be a better fit on one of the dance competition shows.

August 13, 2009 at 2:11 am | Report abuse |
  25. mike

Paula was a sap/pushover/washed up. Kara is even worse. As long as Simon stays on board, Idol will be watched by large numbers.

August 12, 2009 at 11:24 pm | Report abuse |
  26. angel

We want to show Paula how much she is valued on Idol...send letters, phone calls, emails...let the network and producers know how you feel. SPEAK OUT...we pay their bills through watching and buying the products that are advertised.

Start the "we want Paula back" movement. She wasn't asking to be paid more than she was worth. Everyone else got paid...host got paid big time.

Part of what makes idol great is the chemistry with the judges...see news...even Simon is sad.

there is still time....let your voice be heard!!!!

August 12, 2009 at 11:04 pm | Report abuse |
  27. Manuela Mahler

I am not watching Fox, this network makes me sick. They knew they would not let Adam win because they believed that he was too
    much out!! The fact is Adam is an artist! And that's how an artist shows their creativity: from head to toe! Now Paula has class and she is the incarnate feminine! The fact that she may seem high all the time may be due to the fact that she is high on life! She is absolutely delightful. Of course in this generation if a woman is too feminine then she's a slut! But watch carefully how she managed to pick our curiosity. You could never be sure whether it was an act of the helplessness a flirting woman should display or idiotic drunkeness. Paula is a genius but the network is afraid that she may be a liability. The reality: we are not watching American Idol, because if the New York times could predict that they were not ready to let Adam win then who wants to watch a show that is rigged because of their prejudices.Now the cards are on the table:
    the men get paid more than the women and they better behave!
    Paula I'll watch you wherever you go! I am old fashioned. Who is going to flirt with Simon! Paula had the right heart to do it!!

August 12, 2009 at 10:49 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Nikki A

I should say I agree with Dot Green - the judges really make the show...and Paula did represent integrity and emotions. Kara does that some, but she doesn't have the chemistry with the other judges that Paula does.

August 12, 2009 at 10:43 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Nikki A

All the other judges should stick by Paula – remember "Friends?" They all got EQUAL compensation because they demanded that. Apparently, everyone, unfortunately, is out for themselves. Oh, well. It is an era gone by...Everyone check out "So You Think You Can Dance" – TONS more talent and every episode is super amazing to witness, and the judges also have cool chemistry. That's my two cents...

August 12, 2009 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  30. HH

Bring Paula back. Why is Kara even there.
    Without Paula, the show will be incomplete.
    I will not be watching.

August 12, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
  31. David

One British, two British, why call it AMERICAN IDOL,

Paula was the all American cheerleader we all can connect with,
    sorry, no Paula, no show, I won't see it ...is over, just like Michael
    is over, over THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT US. !!!!

Randy get out while you can, it is not worth it. Believe me.
    The British-Osborne was so critical with the show and now she too
    is doing the very same type of show. It is over FOX TV.

August 12, 2009 at 9:16 pm | Report abuse |
  32. Bev.

I too will miss Paula. She added charm and character to the
    show. Hope there is a change of mind with Fox re her salary offer.
    We love Paula here in Canada.

August 12, 2009 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  33. KC HANSEN

I HAVE BEEN THE BIGGGEST FAN OF AMERICAN IDOL.....WE HAVE TACO TUESDAYS AND EVERYONE COMES OVER, WE WILL STOP DOING THIS NOW,PAULA SHOULD ABSOLUTELY STAY AND KARA SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE! WHAT A DISAPOINTMENT! IT FEELS LIKE FOX DOESN'T PAY ATTENTION TO THEIR VIEWERS, I AM SWITCHING OFF FOX FROM NOW ON! I WILL ALSO ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO DO SO.......SHAME ON AMERICAN IDOL, YOU TOOK AMERICAS FAVORITE SHOW AND TRASHED IT! KC

August 12, 2009 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  34. Stephanie

Thank God Paula is gone!!!! Hopefully Ryan is next!!!!!!!!!!!

August 12, 2009 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Dot Green

It is too bad that this show has turned into nothing but a platform for who makes the most money and not who is the most talented. Last season
    when Adam Lambert did not win AI- it showed what a sham this show really is. The show has lost its credibility and I'm sure the ratings won't
    recover either. Paula brought a sense of genuine feeling of what the contestants really go through on that show. Her critiques were always honest and never demeaning – she actually had respect for anyone that was performing. When she criticized the contestants she always considered their feelings as well as how the criticism might help them be a better performer. She brought to American Idol what it will be lacking now – a sense of integrity.

August 12, 2009 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
  36. Bohica Too

No Paula fan should watch this year or call in as a protest. If you can't do that, networks will continue to control.

August 12, 2009 at 6:36 pm | Report abuse |
  37. Mariah

Paula was NOT adored by all, nor did most of us think she was simply "goofy." Paula was a stuttering, mumbling, slurring mess most every week. She was Painful to listen to; I was Embarrassed for her.

This past season she had a couple nights where she was somewhat coherent, but she had to have those lines/comments Written for her because she can't string together enough words to be comprehensible.

I also disagree this has to do with her being a woman. If Paula was a Credible judge who could offer something more Valuable to the contestant than, "You look pretty tonight," then I would back that comment up 100%. Kara has the credibility and knowledge to get paid equal to Simon and Randy. The three of them have real Music Industry experience/credentials; not choreography and lip-synching as the highlights of their careers.

American Idol is a Singing Contestant. As a dancer/choreographer, Paula is a better fit for one of the Dancing Contests. She was never famous for her singing, having to lip-synch when she was Live.

August 12, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  38. ammylou

I will miss her. The show can not possibly be better without her. Still deciding if I will watch next season. Still have Simon. Paula, you're the best!

August 12, 2009 at 4:58 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Kate

I won't watch next season without Paula

August 12, 2009 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  40. MadMike

I will not watch Idol ever again! Paula made the show what it is. I don't like this Kara character. If they could pay Ryan Seacrest all that cash then why not Paula?! She clearly deserves it!

August 12, 2009 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  41. mindy

The big wigs don't think a women should make as much $$ as a man. All the outrage over the winner because hey was gay but wasn't chosen.....where is the outrage over this injustice?

August 12, 2009 at 4:16 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Yalem

Paula is the best and the show will not be the same without her. I will not be watching it unless, she getes her deal to comeback!!

August 12, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Beverly

Let's face the facts – The hand writing was on the wall last year when they brought in a new judge. (Too much bad press) Then they give Ryan S. a hugh payday and Simon. They knew she would want more – so they forced her hand. She's out . Sad, I love her and Simon together. He doesn't have that same chemistry with the new judge. It will effect the show but I don't think it will be enough to matter.

August 12, 2009 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
  44. Jean Chreene

We need Paula.

August 12, 2009 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  45. Fan In MN

I don't understand how, on any level, FOX and the Idol producers don't understand that Paula and Simon are American Idol.
    Although I like Ryan, I was surprised he was given such a huge contract. American Idol could continue with another primary host. Without their primary core of judges, including Randy, the show's dynamics will change and I don't see for the better. I was never pleased with the interaction between Kara and Simon.
    Paula is adored by even those that thinks she is sometimes goofy. Aren't we all subject to those moments?
    I wait every week for their comments and the banter between the two. They need to come up with some mea culpa and do whatever it takes to have her on the show.
    My big complaint has always been that Randy, and now Randy and Kara, get more air time to comment than Paula and Simon. This change isn't going to keep me watching. I adore Simon so I may check in every now and then but if Paula isn't brought back and Simon ever leaves, that's it for me...and I bet for the show.
    ***
    BRING PAULA BACK!!!

August 12, 2009 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  46. JimT

Wait that queen Ryan gets how much to read a cue card! LOL! Too funny! Get rid if that witless idiot. What a waste of money.

August 12, 2009 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  47. JimT

I don't watch this show. It is time it got cancelled. Same stupid people same desperate kids wanting fame ugh! Singing the same song. Sickening!

August 12, 2009 at 1:36 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Helen Basso

This is my vote to BRING PAULA BACK!

August 12, 2009 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  49. charlie

oh cmon now... now that she's gone, who's gonna be the broken record and say the same damn thing over and over again?

"... but you sure look fabulous in that outfit!"

August 12, 2009 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Justin

Really? Most of you will not watch because she isn't on there? I haven't watched since season 3! She may have had heart and sympathy but she didn't direct one person into a positive way in which they could improve their art and performance. Kara, Simon and Randy tell you how it is and what they think is important. None of this "your so cute" and "I love your outfit, but your performance just wasn't their". I could care less about if I am cute or wore cute colored clothes. Judge me on my performance Paula!

Good riddance to the mess. This show was her comeback and she got greedy with the contract. Paula can dance and that's what her strong suit is. Dancing with the Stars will love her if she thinks she's good enough for them. Show me she is intellectual and I will give her a break.

August 12, 2009 at 1:30 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Molly

Paula couldn't even form a coherent sentence. She was there solely for comic relief. I would tune in each week to see how wasted she was, or if they managed to sober her up before they went on the air. Maybe now she can get treatment for her substance abuse issues, and Simon can write on Kara with a Sharpie marker.

August 12, 2009 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  52. tony chu

People! Get a LIFE! She's only a has been ex-star, one of 4 people on a panel judging amateurs. It's just someone leaving a JOB. The show goes on. Or maybe it doesn't – if it collapses because of this then it really was just a house of cards, wasn't it?
    Surely your lives and happiness do not depend on this. Please tell me they don't. That would be pathetic.

August 12, 2009 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  53. Gina

Let's look at the resumes of there 2 women.
    Ms. Paula, "Back away from the Thesaurus!" Abdul:1) Has-been dancer (this is AI, not DWTS, folks!) 2) Has never written a song (Thank God!). 3) Second rate singer who lip-synched her "hit song" (huh?) on the show (again, did anyone notice the back lighting made her face all but invisable? Milli Vanilli revisited!). 4) Spends her entire time sweet talking and complimenting a contestant without actually critiquing the performance (yank Paula's Thesaurus out of her hands and look up the word 'judging' and you'll see what I mean). I had best stop here... I suggest youtub-ing "madTV Paula abdul AI" and this will all make sense.
    Kara "Number of albums containing at least one of her songs: over 100 million!" DioGuardi: 1) Has written Grammy winning songs for Grammy winning artists (Mariah Carey and Kelly Clarkson to name a few). 2) Provides honest and relevant feedback because she has repeatedly proven she knows what makes a song work. 3) A wonderful singer who fronted her own band (no lip-synching allowed!). 4) Is capable of simultanteously judging AND encouraging a contestant. 5) Has already shown she can and will stand up to Simon. Again, I had best stop here...
    If they went head-to-head in a job interview for this position, I would laugh Paula right out the door.

August 12, 2009 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Mary

Bring Paula back. Last season with Kara was bad but Paula made it bearable. Bring Paula back.

August 12, 2009 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Tracy Reyes

COMON PEOPLE!!
    Paula dug her own grave. She has been screwing up left and right for seasons now. Half the time I think she is on drugs or is drunk. Her comments are long winded and I am tired of watching the sexual tension and wrestling matches between her an Simon.
    I am happy she is gone and I wont miss her one bit! Simon is the real star and the only one that would cause me NOT to watch idol if he left.
    Paula didnt even sing live last year. It was all lip sinked. Her tallent is washed up just like her. GOOD RIDDENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 12, 2009 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  56. Connie Grier

Kara did not bring anything to the show – she's boring. I will not watch American Idol again. See how fast your ratings will drop without Paula.

August 12, 2009 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Mimi

Paula Abdul was simply a gifted dancer/choreographer with an OK voice. She was recorded because of her looks and dancing abilities, Not her singing. Wake-up people, this goes on all the time in the Music Industry. It's been reported and verified mutiple times that Paula had to Hire Writers to help her come up with the comments she stuttered/slurred on American Idol. If some of you enjoyed what she had to say so much, then I suggest Idol find her Writers and make Them judges!

August 12, 2009 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Em

I wont watch the show without Paula. I wasnt a huge fan to begin with, but I did tune in occasionally to watch her sweetness and honesty towards the participants. They made a mistake by not giving her what was fair. They did a disservice to both her and the audience.

August 12, 2009 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  59. dee

i have to say, it is no loss if paula does not come back, and kara can go too. with the way the seaon ended last year. was a big disappointment. it was truly a mess with the save. hopefully they use it right next time if it comes back. ? who knows it may not be needed since it made a big disaster. simon tells it like it is. but he did screw up with the save. they should consider getting rid of kara , and replacing her with adam.

August 12, 2009 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Sharon

Simon and Paula should have had the same income on American Idol. Paula needs to be sitting next to Simon. What will Simon do without her?

August 12, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  61. RickJames

I'm not watching unless they bring Paula back!!! HOGWASH! You will still watch the show and still get as excited as before...

August 12, 2009 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse |
  62. m

Kara? did she teach dance moves to Janet Jackson? oh wait, no that would be Paula Abdul.. her songs and dancing was the greatest and she is a major talent, half of those people can't do a darn thing other than criticize people.. so Idol will now be nothing... i would not feel like i was wonderful for winning on that show from this point on, they would not know talent if it hit them in the face!!!!!

August 12, 2009 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  63. PG

If you were watching American Idol for Paula Abdul, then you were missing the Point of the show. The show is Not about the judges, it's about the Contestants... finding new Singing talent. Paula did not create the show and the talent will still Exist without her. Last season the show started to become more about judges antics and ruined it for True AI Fans. Week after week it ran over its allotted time limit because Paula slurred, blathered on about Nothing, and interrupted Simon every time he said something she didn’t agree with. All my fellow AI Bloggers were hitting *mute* every time she started talking.

American Idol is *suppose* to be about the Contestants, not any single judge. If Paula Abdul was the only reason you were watching, I suggest you follow her to whatever new show hires her and leave the True AI Fans with what we Love; a Talent Competition!

August 12, 2009 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  64. carol burnham

Paula is a beautiful person – inside and out. She is multi-talented and deserves to be paid for that talent. I have been watching the show since the beginning. Sure, you will probably find someone else to fill the spot but they cannot replace Paula. Get real guys and pay for quality!! Her not being on American Idol will be the networks loss not Paulas.

August 12, 2009 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  65. Ethan

no offense, but unless Paula lays off the prescription pills she's gonna find it hard to keep a job going forward. She was out of it half the time on the show anyway. the show itself sucks, so I don't personally care. I watched enough last year to get my fill of the judges gushing over a half talented show tunes singer every week, to realize that I had much better things to do with my time than spend it watching that mess.

August 12, 2009 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  66. RR...

Two things will combine in making this edition of American Idol, the lowest ratings ever...
    1.- No one can top Adam Lambert performances, the bar has been set too high...
    2.- Paula Abdul's absence...it just won't be the same
    We know we are not watching....

August 12, 2009 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  67. Lina

Good riddance Paula. Maybe this season we can actually focus on the talent.

August 12, 2009 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  68. Ken

With Paula gone, maybe AI will simply fade away. That would give me one less reason to watch ANYTHING on Fox. Bad network, with a news service that is simply a propaganda machine.

August 12, 2009 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  69. Taylor

We are done with idol. We will never watch again. Why would they get rid of one of the main components of their success? Unbelievable.

August 12, 2009 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  70. James

"Straight up, now tell me
    Do you really wanna love me forever
    Oh, oh, oh
    Or am I caught in a hit-and-run?"

HA! No doubt this was the plan for the last year. But people are only mad because they personally liked Paul, which is understandable, even though she didn't really bring anything to the show that it can't do without. DiGuardi is better qualified to be a talent scout, which is a pretty important skill for a talent show judge. It's just a matter of what chemistry these three will have. And every one of you saying you won't watch because of Paula leaving is a big fat liar. You'll at least tune in to see how it all plays out next season. Maybe Paula can replace that incredibly annoying lady on So You Think You Can Dance. She needs a muzzle badly!

August 12, 2009 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  71. John

If Fox doesn't pull something off and get her back, the show will still go on. We all watch to see Simon and the bad auditions. Paula was at times a mess during the show, looked like she was high. We all knew this was coming when the new girl showed up. The real reason Idol is getting sorry is that it is rigged.

August 12, 2009 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  72. Chris Dickinson

Idol will fail. I think that is the last "straw" for a lot of people. Ratings we already down.

August 12, 2009 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  73. Linda Sullivan

I will never again watch Idol...Dio Guardi is obnoxious and detracts from the show . The producers planned this to make Paula leave and I think they are fools. I am done with this mess!

August 12, 2009 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  74. NC Mom

The show will be so boring with no Paula for Simon to pick on. It always relieved the tension. Actually Paula is probably the really smart one making this move. (Bet she had something in the works before walking out.) Her career won't be hurt, but American Idol will be. Kara has no charm or warmth. She brings nothing to the table.

August 12, 2009 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  75. boohoo

Do you all realize that Paula and her new manager turned down a 30 percent pay raise. I don't feel sorry for her at all. How many of you would turn a 30 percent raise? The ratings for the show will still be strong. Good bye Paula. She never had an original thought. Thats why she sat in the middle so she can get a jump start from Randy.

August 12, 2009 at 11:38 am | Report abuse |
  76. JEFF

IT's a Plain as Black & White, They Really Really didnt want her back on the show, think about it, what's 10 million when ryan gets 15 and simon is raking in 45mil...
    They wanted it to Look like they wanted her back, its Hollywood ! that's the bottom line.......
    I personally will not be consumed with the show since A.I. did not give in to paula's fair request for compensation, guys this show is a billion dollar plus franchise and rakes in the money each year with sponsorships like coke & ford which are displayed everywhere on the set and throughout the show.
    IF EVERYONE COMPLAINED TO AMERICAN IDOL (FOX) THEN THEY COULD POSSIBLY BRING HER BACK, IT WORKS LIKE THAT WHEN PEOPLE CALL IN AN VOICE THEIR OPINIONS INCLUDING A WRITING CAMPAIGN....

August 12, 2009 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  77. Whocaresville

Who cares...really? WHO CARES!

August 12, 2009 at 11:37 am | Report abuse |
  78. Chelito

Paula was the Ying to Simon's Yang. She will be missed.

August 12, 2009 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  79. mark

Paula was the only judge that is / was an American Idol. Who was the idiot that let her get away.....Its the beginning of the end for Idol.

August 12, 2009 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  80. David

I liked Paula but there are too many judges and Kara knows what she is talking about. I think this was all planned out after Kara was hired. The shows producers let Paula make the decision but the money they were offering her was more than fair.
    Simon, love him or hate him, get the ratings. Ryan is a great MC.

American Idol will survive based upon the quality of the contestants, not based upon Paula.

August 12, 2009 at 11:31 am | Report abuse |
  81. Megan

I think it is pretty crappy that they can give Ryan so much money for doing nothing but reading a teleprompter but they can't give Paula the amount she wants. Her presence on the show always made it more enjoyable to watch because of the fact that she almost always had something nice to say, instead of always hearing nothing but negativity from the other judges. I don't think that it is only going to be the fans of the show who are disappointed to see her go, but also the contestants because without Paula there, there lives are going to be hell.

August 12, 2009 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  82. RatInAMaze

These comments are bizarre – did you folks actually watch the show last season? I'm sure Paula's very nice and funny and talented, but seriously, 90% of her comments were irrelevant feel-good cliches. Kara on the other hand said useful things that indicated that she had at least paid attention to the performance.

August 12, 2009 at 11:30 am | Report abuse |
  83. John Lussow

Paula will not be missed. She added nothing to the show and I spent many evening embarrassed for her. As a judge she was just too nice. When someone is bad they are bad. She always had to heap praise on undeserving contestants. The worst comments she makes on bad performances is that the contestant looks good. That is as negative as she got. Remember, being a nice guy is not an occupation. I'm glad Paula and her side show drug and or alcohol induced antics are gone.

August 12, 2009 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  84. tee

I think this was the plan all along to get rid of her but she is apart of american Idol. And I think this will back fire on them, because it's not going to be as intresting

August 12, 2009 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  85. Melissa

Glad Paula is gone. I swear, the woman was high 99% of the time. How in hell she managed to make it in show business, I'll never know. She's way too oversensitive and a great big whiny baby.

August 12, 2009 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  86. emma

BRING PAULA BACK. The three original judges have great chemistry are fun to watch and each offer a different perspective. Kara offers nothing her comments are irritating and she inteferes with the judging process. Last seasons judging panel was a mess and a bore with her on it. American Idol be careful you are making a big mistake.

August 12, 2009 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
  87. Jean

Kara is dull. Paul is vibrant. Simon and Paula are a fun team of opposites to watch. I watched Idol for the 2 of them and last year for Adam Lambert.

The salary disparity of 4 million versus 30-40 for the men is unbelievable. I'm tuning out.

August 12, 2009 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  88. Dmoney

Paula sucked and wasted too much time with her rants that meant nothing. Get over it people, you will all watch the show just like you have for the last eight years.

August 12, 2009 at 11:21 am | Report abuse |
  89. Cheri

Really, American Idol is about new and upcoming talent not the judges. If you want to see Paula then tune into a few of her music videos to get your fill. I agree I don't care for Kara but I am there for the entertainment of the singers not the judges.

August 12, 2009 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  90. Fred L. Fraud

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

August 12, 2009 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  91. Santina

It is sad that they keep Kara and let Paula go. Paula was the show. However, every time she spoke I wanted to stick my fingers down her throat and pull the words out. I found that so annoying.

August 12, 2009 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  92. Stacy

Of course I meant to say, "I will also forgo watching Idol WITHOUT Paula..."

August 12, 2009 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  93. Kyle

American Idol is terrible ...people are reacting to this as if something important happened.

...how about paying attention to things that actually matter instead of this nonsense.

August 12, 2009 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  94. Dale

I don't enjoy watching Kara's comments on the show. I won't watch it anymore without Paula. At least when Paula gave constructive criticism, she did it from the heart and with the intention of helping the individual improve – not just for shock purposes. I wish her luck.

August 12, 2009 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  95. Stacy

I will also forego watching Idol with Paula. Many people I know feel this way, and I am sure a small percentage of people will actually express their opinion by posting online.

I also love Kara, but I think the show will STINK without Paula. It has, IMHO, lost its heart and soul.

August 12, 2009 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  96. M. D.

Stopped really watching a while back....except for the audition shows; after that, it's more commercial than entertainment. Much faster just to tape & fast forward, I guess, but not enough substance to have kept me coming back.
    As for Paula, well, after a while who will really care (except her accountant)?

August 12, 2009 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  97. Cindy

I probably won't watch Idol without Paula!! It will be boring!!!!

August 12, 2009 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  98. Mark

Paula added nothing to the show, Randy and Kara add nothing to the show. Simon is the only reason this show is as popular as it is. I'm not trying to be mean, It is just the truth.

August 12, 2009 at 11:16 am | Report abuse |
  99. bridget

love paula or hate her, without her the whole tone of the show will change. now it's going to be a randy with his completely inane comments, kara pimping for the record industry and simon just being mean because he likes to be. there's no 'positivity' left on the panel, or judging from someone who's actually had the career the contestants are all trying to attain for themselves. i'm not going to say anything ridiculous like i'm furious or i won't watch anymore (it's a tv show people), but i think the producers have grossly underestimated the qualities that paula brings to the show. i also think they've grossly overestimated what kara brings to the show. her comments were pointless and anytime she said anything factual (as opposed to opinion) she seemed to get the facts wrong. she doesn't seem very bright.

August 12, 2009 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  100. Joe

Paula was horrible!!!!!!!!!!!! Glad she is gone

August 12, 2009 at 11:15 am | Report abuse |
  101. Lori

Could you say "ageism?" How does Kara come close to what Paula brought? The producers should be ashamed. Paula was the heart of the show. Kara offers nothing, but ego and self-importance. Truly ridiculous.

August 12, 2009 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  102. Grace

I am not watching anymore. When boring Kara came on board, I knew there was a plan to get rid of Paula. It's not right. Bye Bye

August 12, 2009 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  103. Chit Hernandez

I've been watching the show from day one since it started.We love all the judges specially Paula. I won't watch the show without her.

August 12, 2009 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  104. Peter

What's with you people who won't watch because Paula (or anyone else) isn't on? You're supposed to be watching the show to see all the great rising talent (and maybe the really horrible ones) that appear. I'll continue to watch it.

August 12, 2009 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
  105. that guy

The show is lame to begin with.. and people who say they are not going to watch the show because of her.. no you will watch it again because everyone around you will be talking about it. I can't see why it is such a big deal.. they get paid way to much anyway.. but to each there own.. the show sucks, it has and always will.. with or without Paula. She made a wise choice to get out.

August 12, 2009 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
  106. Dennis

Is this a shark jumping moment?

August 12, 2009 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  107. Bill Young

Let the advertisers decide; as for me I will not watch the show again without Paula.

August 12, 2009 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  108. anita

American Idol is losing its popularity with me and with Paula being gone, i seriously doubt i'll be watching it – keep paula, ask Kara to leave.

August 12, 2009 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  109. Gina Sherpa

I love Paula!!!! its such a shame that they can pay Simon and Ryan 45 million and can't accomodate Paula's 20 million?.....Is it Gender bias or what ......

August 12, 2009 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  110. Wil

Best wishes Paula

August 12, 2009 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  111. Isa

Kara's staying and Paula's going???? That is pathetic. Kara is BORING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kara is a Simon-wannabe!!!!!!!!!!!

August 12, 2009 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  112. Mrs Mander

Adios. I don't watch the show, anymore, but it seemed like some kind of boring soap opera way back when.

August 12, 2009 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  113. Dwayne

I noticed particularly how Kara couldn't look at the camera while saying she was in mouring. Watch the tape again. I think she knew what was going to happen the day she sat in her chair the first time. It was their plan all along.

I hope Paula lands on Dancing with the Stars or perhpas a competing show on another network with full bands, not just solo artists. I think their needs to be a show for entire bands.

August 12, 2009 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  114. Jo

Good riddance, Paula.

August 12, 2009 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  115. M McAdams

I'm relieved Paula is gone. We got in the habit last year of TIVOing through her comments to avoid listening to her irrelevant drivel. And we were really tired of her interrupting Simon every time he said something critical. For us, she was nothing more than filler. the commercials were more entertaining.

August 12, 2009 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  116. Wendy h

Good bye American Idol. without Paula, you lose

August 12, 2009 at 10:54 am | Report abuse |
  117. Nancy

Ditch Kara and bring Paula back. The show won't be the same without Paula and I won't watch it if Paula doesn't come back. If the exec's ditch Kara then they can pay Paula what she deserves!BRING PAULA BACK!!!!

August 12, 2009 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  118. Nancy

I don't like Kara and I don't know very many people that do. Paula makes the show – zany, weird or cutesy – it doesn't matter. Paula is terrific and if they can pay Ryan and Simon 45 million over 3 years, it seems like they can afford to give Paula more too. I cannot stand Kara and i wish she was not there. If they don't get Paula back most likely I will stop watching the show. I am beginning to like America's Got Talent a lot more anyway. They have lots of different acts besides just singing, singing, singing.

August 12, 2009 at 10:51 am | Report abuse |
  119. Holly

American Idol is done. They will slowly drift off just like anytime you lose the main characters. Paula Abdul added a lot to that show that others can't offer. Sorry Kara, but you suck. Noone wants to hear you sing or see you in a swin suit. If you were doing all that great you wouldn't have been Paula's kid sister. This is ignorant. I won't understand how a real idol isn't worth the money others are. Why in the hell does Ryan need 34+ million dollars to tape a fake shot of "This is American Idol" before every audition. It isn't even real! It is all fake and staged. Dinkelman would be better and for a fraction of the cost. American Idol better do what it takes to fix this because I know a lot of main stream American that won't be watching.

This started out as the little train that could. Everyone else rose to fame financial porportions, why isn't Paula worth it?

Give me a break!

August 12, 2009 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  120. Mila

Paula is a vital part of AI: without her it will not be the same. Bring her back/! Get rid of Kara, she is a pain the rearend.

August 12, 2009 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  121. Poetsteve

Kara's big song from the finale last year was a total bomb. Paula's latest single was a hit and she continues to display the biggest heart of any talent judge on TV today. Replace Randy with his "dawg" nonsense and dump Kara, she a big zero and contributes nothing. Hire Quincy Jones and bring Paula back and you will see Idol's rating soar once again.

August 12, 2009 at 10:49 am | Report abuse |
  122. Betsy

My all time favorite show, I won't watch anymore, Paula was the heart of American Idol, we actually enjoyed her belittling Simon in love.
    The end of an era, the show will go down, trust your viewers

August 12, 2009 at 10:48 am | Report abuse |
  123. Joan

I only watch the show for Paula and Simon. I will not watch it next season and most of my co-workers feel the same. Paula was "water-cooler" conversation the next day. We did not care for Kara at long. I think this is Idol's loss.

August 12, 2009 at 10:47 am | Report abuse |
  124. Paula

Oh yes Ryan you dolt! You got a 30 mill contract! Kara you slag "I'm in mourning yeah right!" the tention between you and Paula was palatable! Simon well Simon you could have got her more money.. you have buckets full..it is called respect.. and Paula left on principal. If judges hadn't brought in Kara there would have been a bigger salary for Paula.. the show is over paid as it is.. it will die a long painful death.. and good riddance.I get sick everytime I have to even put Fox network on my television. The whole celeb money issue is just sick in these times of economic crisis.. go cry over that Kara.. who cares what you think anyway!

August 12, 2009 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  125. Nicole

Are you serious? It's NOT about her, it's about who wants to be the next American Idol. Yeah, she gave some comic relief and all, but the focus shouldn't be on her.

August 12, 2009 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  126. Mary

I won't be watching if Paula isn't on the show

August 12, 2009 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  127. Sandy Eddahbi

I definitely will not watch idol anymore. It is so totally over for me. I can not stand Kara. She is really annoying! .........to say the least.

August 12, 2009 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
  128. richard maxwell

i cant undestand why you would not have equal pay for paula ??? also why would you bring a forth judge to the panel and a woman .realy i thing this was the plan to replace paula somthing is not right !!!

August 12, 2009 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  129. mike

I won't miss Paula. Simon Cowell is the head of the show and Randy Jackson is the heart. Paula was a good foil and didn't take the latest deal when it was offered.

August 12, 2009 at 10:38 am | Report abuse |
  130. ks

Paula! Come back!!!!! We will miss you! Kara comes off as so phony. She has the same things to say about everyone, every performance: You KILLED it! You were A MAAAAAZZZZING!!! jeez, I get tired of her fast.

Paula, we need you!

August 12, 2009 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  131. Suzanne VanRandwyk

Somebody please take Kara away and bring back Paula! It's like they're trying to replace a beautiful diamond (Paula) with a piece of cut glass (Kara).

August 12, 2009 at 10:37 am | Report abuse |
  132. Marcia Cantor

Come back Paula. Ditch Kara. I'm considering not watching the show because of her.

August 12, 2009 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  133. Karen

I won't watch the show without Paula. I don't care about what others think of her behavior. She is American Idol and one reason why I tune in each season. The exec's can pay others what she requested, then they need to pay her that amount too. Get her back! Her being gone will make a difference.

August 12, 2009 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |