August 7th, 2009

Miley's new faerie tale: "Twilight" wannabe?

Considering the popularity of "Twilight" and the phenomenon it has launched, it stands to reason that others would try to replicate it. Hence, the recent profusion of young adult novels that, for lack of a better term, I like to call “Twilight Wannabes.” If you’ve walked by any major bookstore in the last year, you’ve seen them in the window display...books with titles like "Vampire Academy "("Twilight" meets Harry Potter?) and "Blue Bloods" ("Twilight" meets "Gossip Girl"?). Their covers even look like "Twilight"–black with a single image of a flower or fruit.

I love Stephenie Meyer’s series,  so I had studiously avoided the whole flock of what I considered her imitators. But when I heard that Disney bought the film rights to the latest Twilight wannabe – "Wings", by first-time author Aprilynne Pike – and had attached teen queen Miley Cyrus to star as the heroine Laurel, I decided that I had to give it a try. And to my surprise, I liked it. A lot. Probably more than the first "Twilight" novel (cue outraged gasps from Twi-hards everywhere).

In many ways, the story echoes that of "Twilight": a teenage girl moves to a new high school, only to become entangled in the conflict of two mythical species. This time, instead of the Cullen family of vampires and werewolves, the warring parties are trolls and faeries (I won’t spoil the faerie mythology except to say that it’s incredibly creative). Of course, Laurel quickly finds herself the center of a love triangle, caught between her reliable, human friend David, and the mysteriously sexy faerie Tamani. It’s easy to see why Disney snapped this one up. They’re targeting the "Twilight" audience, trying to do with faeries what Summit Entertainment – and HBO, and now the CW – have already done with vampires.

Which got me to wondering, will it work? Will Miley Cyrus and her costars be able to rival the famous onscreen chemistry between Kristen Stewart and Rob Pattinson? Miley, who’s made it clear that she wants to break out of the Hannah Montana mold, obviously believes so.

What do you think? Can faeries overthrow vampires and become the new phenomenon, or will the undead remain our favorite supernatural creatures?

–Katie McGee, CNN Entertainment Unit Intern

« Previous entry
  1. Amy

Wow, that is nutty that Miley would say anything negative about Twilight because Aprilynne and Stephenie are good friends. Stephenie gave Aprilynnes's Manuscript to her Agent, who accepted it, and signed her in the end.

There seem to be a trillion similarities between the two stories, it's insane(and I've only read a one chapter from the third book), but it makes sense if she had the go ahead from Stephenie.What works, works.

October 19, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Teisha Galaska

Geno, excellent point on 1). You are right and I see now my phrasing with "Just about any reason to email your Affiliates is a good reason." is a bit off. As an effective AM you definitely don't want to become overzealous or down right aggravating... so thanks for pointing that out.

May 28, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  3. lebron 51 points

hey there and thank you for your info – I've certainly picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise several technical issues using this website, as I experienced to reload the website many times previous to I could get it to load properly. I had been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I'm complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will often affect your placement in google and could damage your high-quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and can look out for a lot more of your respective exciting content. Make sure you update this again soon..

August 14, 2011 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mirrored Furniture

there are many famous persons with dyslexia and it is not a debilitating disease. Tom Cruise is known to be dyslexic *.:

December 13, 2010 at 2:16 am | Report abuse |
  5. Chrome Towel Radiator :

dyslexia can affect anyone of use but this disease is not very debilitating anyway`:'

October 22, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Finley Mitchell

my sister has dyslexia but she can live a very normal life eventhough she can't read that much~,`

October 11, 2010 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. Cooper Foster

dyslexia is not that debiliating but it is somewhat limiting to the kind of job that you can get~~~

July 18, 2010 at 11:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Madison

Now I know why Mileys trashing on twilight. I mean she read the books- what the f***? She doesn't believe in them because she's gonna be the lead in this new movie. Stop being a Bella, Miley. You're so f***ing annoying.

November 18, 2009 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
  9. KM

The vampire obsession is a weird trend, but I guess not exactly new–I mean, Dracula was pretty popular. And for good reason, the idea of creatures who live on human blood is pretty intriguing. Anyway, this was a really nicely written review! It'll be interesting to see how Miley's movie does...although I'm inclined to think stepping out of the Hannah Montana role might be a mistake. If it's not broken, don't fix it...

August 19, 2009 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Emily

Twilight makes me want to hurl compared to Blue Bloods.
    Sure twilight's plot is okay and attracts more tweens than anything but the way Blue Bloods is written is so much better. Melissa De La Cruz's books beat Sephanie Meyer's but a million.
    Also, most of the books that are vampire books came from one author's works and that's Anne Rice.
    Get over Twilight. I want to vomit when ever I see it on the shelf.

August 12, 2009 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  11. GLA

great article
    although i liked twilight i was not obsessed with it, so this article convinced me that i might like the books. but, i hate miley cyrus and cant take her seriously as an actress.
    great review though and great writing!!!!!
    GLA

August 11, 2009 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  12. LukeHarrington

Personally I believe that Disney: #1 can't do anything geared toward the mainstream Twilight fans, (teenagers, high schoolers, some parents), #2, shouldn't do anything that has to do with mythology, because even Stephanie Meyer has her mythology wrong, (werewolves and vampires both descend from Eastern Europe, Hungary and Romania as seen in the Underworld Movies, and not Native Americans), and Disney's latest blunder, Wizards of Waverly Place, is a stain on TV Fantasy history. If any of the Twlight wannabes out there, want to make it big, Disney IS NOT the way to go, you need a legitimate network or film studio to take off with this (and now Hannah Montana, it will be impossible to take her seriously).

August 11, 2009 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chris

If you have any respect for vampire novels, read Dracula, then if you really need a fix read Anne Rice's novels. Then stop. Just stop. Step away from the Twilight rack and walk away.

August 11, 2009 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  14. MVA

Well if it has Miley Cyrus in it, that in itself is a stamp of quality. Yes. That's sarcasm. Twilight is bad. This is a xerox of bad. OOH! I just had a bad idea to add to this bad idea! Billy Ray Cyrus can be the king of the faeries!

August 9, 2009 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Megan

Regardless of whether or not you are a Twilight fan, it is undeniable that our nation of tweens and even our nation of celebrity mania will never be the same post-Robert Pattinson.

The fame of the books is one thing, but the real genius behind the popularity of the whole "Twi-hard" culture is Pattinson.

EBM is right, without a leading man as sexy, mysterious, and perfect for the role as Robert Pattinson is, no 'wannabe' Twilight movie will ever receive the same fame and popularity.

August 9, 2009 at 6:02 pm | Report abuse |
  16. tory

i think this is an amazing, awesome, article!!!!!!!! i really like what you have said here. its very interestng.

August 9, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Mai

First off, I've read Wings... It's terrible. It's simply written, and I don't care that it's written for 'teens', anything that goes into print should have more substance than what was in the covers of this book. If you want a great series for Teens that anyone would enjoy try The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. That is a write that knows how to write and also knows how to tell a story and not just play off of the teen angst and love triangles that Twilight and Wings offers. Want a great fantasy series? Try Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder. Those are two women who can weave a story like and not have it turn out overly emotional. Want a great book about Fairies that is going to be a series? Try Wondrous Strange by Lesley Livingston.

Now that Wings will be made into a movie with an 'actress' that can't act (seriously have you SEEN her in anything? She's terrible) we'll be mobbed by screaming fans that can't tell what or who their screaming for? Twilight or it's rip off Wings? I can't believe Disney dropped the Chronicles of Narina Series to make this terrible piece of literature-if you can call it that-into a film.

August 9, 2009 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Sahara

I dont think anything will ever be as good as twilight, but you have conviced me to read this book.

August 9, 2009 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Hailee

Hey katie! its Lizzy's friend Hailee! I love twilight and maybe i should give "Wings" a try, but I do not think that the "Wings" movie or book series will ever be as great as Twilight! I do not like Miley Cyrus, but I also do not like Kristen Stweart...so I will be waiting to see the review of the movie Wings vs. Twilight.

August 9, 2009 at 4:09 pm | Report abuse |
  20. cynthia

Liz sent me this article and it is sooo well written and i think you just talked me into reading this new series!! i dont know if i can take miley seriously as the main character of a movie like that, but i guess i can give it a try.....

August 9, 2009 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
  21. ebm

As someone who has actually read "Wings," I would like to say that although this book has some definite "Twilight"-like qualities, the plotline also has potential to become a hit series. I hope the author comes up with some new ideas for the story instead of using the old Twilight drama of the love triangle with the mysterious hottie, the loyal best friend, and the confused girl.

If you have read Wings, Do you think that Disney will be able to cast two guys as attractive as Taylor Lautner and Rob Pattinson to be the lead roles? I think that this movie will either be well-liked or a total flop, depending on the casting. As for Miley Cyrus being the main role, I have my doubts about her acting ability as a true actress, even if it is just another Disney movie. Then again, she has surprised me before, and she just might make this series a hit!

August 9, 2009 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meghan

I believe that Miley Cyrus is HORRIBLE! A better choice would be a sweet caring non-blonde like blonde, like Taylor Swift or somebosy else

August 10, 2011 at 5:31 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Adrian

Frankly, the entire book industry needs to get over the Twilight phenomenon; The writing is utterly terrible, whats worse is that the audience–save for those of us who don't like the series–are incapable of seeing this.

I'm sorry if my generation has effectively killed the original concept of the Vampire– a bloodthirsty, walking corpse unchained from the limitations of humanity.

A big tell-tale sign that the vampire-fad has swept the book industry is the central plot device of a "love triangle". Really, are young-adult authors so transparent and shallow that they need to have a love triangle?

August 9, 2009 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  23. Grace

Really... Faeries???????????? Have they totally run out of ideas!

August 9, 2009 at 12:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meghan

Read the series before you trash it please. It's even more clever than "Twilight"!

August 10, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  24. BB

I would have seen this but for Miley Cyrus. I like her music but can't stand her acting or even mere speaking. The nice thing about Twilight was that the actors were relatively unknown. "MILEY" will upstage the story and characters and the audience will not be able to lose themselves in the love triangle and mythology of the story.

August 9, 2009 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  25. Legolas as Faerie? uhm...

Tolkien created a race of elves, not faeries. A race complete with culture, language, history, creationary myths and complexity. I almost feel like comparing Tolkien's characters to any of these vamp or faerie books is like sacrilege. And I love Twilight, but its not LOTR.

August 9, 2009 at 11:20 am | Report abuse |
  26. Jordan Richardson

Twilight is possibly the softest and most innocuous "vampire" story there is. An allegory for abstinence, it's extremely weak on the vampire mythology and contains little substance of note. Twilight itself was a "wannabe," too, and the author admits to that.

Also, Bob, relax. Everyone makes mistakes. It doesn't mean they have "dyslexia."

August 9, 2009 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  27. kimberly

Twilight hysteria makes me want to HURL. But, to be fair, the first book in Blue Bloods was printed in 2006, only about 1 year after the first book in the Twilight series, which was first published in 2005. Vampire Academy's first book was published in 2007. Both of these dates being WELL before the Twilight movie came out and thus before all of the hysteria. Twilight was not a phenomenon, or a household name, before the movie.

August 9, 2009 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  28. Meg

It is unfortunate that "Twilight" can't stand alone proudly just for a little bit! That everyone else has to jump in on something one woman literally dreamt up years ago. I hate it. For the original, there is never a substitute. Whether its "Halloween" or "Twilight". Get your own ideas folks.

August 9, 2009 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
  29. Kayla

First of all, I'd like to comment on the whole "Twilight-Wannabe" novels. It's ridiculous! I was at Borders the other day and they had a whole HUGE section of vampire novels! I don't know why they bother, nobody will do it better than Meyers, and they just look silly trying. About the faerie thing..I'll have to wait and see. I love Miley and I am thrilled to see her breaking from Hannah. But, c'mon! That's a little TOO much like Twilight. Plus, a hot faerie? I don't know if I can see that..

August 9, 2009 at 2:44 am | Report abuse |
    • Meghan

Try Wings, Spells and Illusions by Aprilynne Pike before you start trashing the series please.

August 10, 2011 at 10:17 am | Report abuse |
  30. Matt

Twilight is a plague on pop culture. It glorifies harmful, unhealthy relationships and teaches young girls that is what they should aspire to. Its vampire lore, if you can even call it that, is almost a mockery of any vampire lore that came before it. It's also very poorly written.

August 9, 2009 at 12:56 am | Report abuse |
  31. bob

heather-

the writer of this article never mentions "vampire diaries". only "vampire academy" and "blue bloods".

wow, you should get your dyslexia checked out before you accuse people

August 8, 2009 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Meghan

Your rude! Dyslexia has NOTHING to do with that! People that have Dyslexia probably have read your reply and cried. You are mean and rude.

August 10, 2011 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  32. Laura

The author should really read some of these other "wannabe" Twilight books. Vampire Academy is much richer and significantly better written tale than Twilight. The first book came out before Twilight, also. These also aren't wannabes ... there is an appetite for these stories (hence, True Blood, Moonlight, and Underworld).

Also, I get tired of hearing how great Stephenie Meyers is. She is a tremendous story teller, but a lousy writer... her dialogue is corny, her characters are transparent ... in the hands of a really talented author, that series would be as popular as Harry Potter!

August 8, 2009 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  33. Regina

@ Logan – Wouldn't that be fantastic? Holly Black's Tithe would be a great choice. On her IMDB page, it says Valiant is "in development".

August 8, 2009 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  34. Heather

I know this article is not really about what is and isn't imitations of Twilight, but I think you should do more research before writing an article for CNN. There is no possible way that Vampire Diaries could be an imitation of Twilight, considering the series came out at least 10 or more years BEFORE the Twilight series was ever written. I have not read the Vampire Diaries novels, but I have read other books by L.J. Smith, and I don't think this author would appreciate the incorrect reporting in this article.

August 8, 2009 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  35. Geoff

If it's got Miley Cyrus in it, it has to be good.

August 8, 2009 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Meghan

Miley Cyrus is innapropriate, a horrible role model and a HORRID actress!

August 10, 2011 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
  36. Allon

The genre spawned by the myths of Vlad Tsepec have haunted our collective conscience for far too long for this effervescent teeny-bopper phenomenon to impact it in any substantial way. Nonetheless, I am must concede that thus article has intrigued even me, a Stokerite to the bitter end.

August 7, 2009 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse |
  37. V

Ok so I may not be the biggest fan of vampires...or fantasy fiction in general BUT I definitely see the sex appeal (I'm a recent True Blood Convert...). However, I'm not really sure about faeries (why can't we just spell it fairies?) and trolls. I guess I see the appeal to the kind of audiences that Miley Cyrus would attract...maybe...still, it seems a little too much for me. To each his own?

August 7, 2009 at 11:38 pm | Report abuse |
  38. PHM

Folks, this is nothing new. Laurel K. Hamilton has been writing about vampires, werewolves, faeries, etc. for a long time. Pick up a couple at your local library. They are very entertaining!

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Ms. Hamilton should be proud!

August 7, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Sarah

Vampires have been popular for a long time, Twilight has only reintroduced us to a supernatural race that had had a few years off since Buffy ended. Faeries on the other hand have never been popular with people over the age of 9 and that's actually a shame. If you ignore the Disneyification of faeries into Tinkerbell-like pixies, you have a rich mythology of faeries that range from all over Europe. Additionally, faeries can either be described as either purely hedonistic or simply amoral and I find those much more interesting themes than the one that is associated with Vampires (i.e. the overly cliched good vs. evil). I hope that If faeries do become the new vampires (which I highly doubt), they at least pay a little homage to their original lore.

August 7, 2009 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Brittany

Haven't we've already been tortured enough by Twilight's desication of vampire-lore?

August 7, 2009 at 7:56 pm | Report abuse |
  41. eleanor

the thing that i think is so appealing about vampires (and this goes back to the anne rice novels from the '80s) is the fact that they're immortal. the whole dilemma of twilight's love triangle isn't only that Bella has to choose between too boys that love her, but she has to choose whether or not to live forever. I don't know if a love triangle with faeries can have the same tension unless the choice is equally monumental.

on another note, i just hope Miley doesn't spontaneously break out into song in this movie.

August 7, 2009 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Logan

if they're going to make a movie about Faeries, why can't they make a film from Tithe, the book by Holly Black?

August 7, 2009 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  43. JRossi

Hey Legolas (Orlando Bloom) and Arwen (Liv Tyler) played faeries in the three movies based on the Tolkein books and damn.....he was hot! Okay, she was beautiful too! Haven't read the book, so can't comment on its ability to hold up on its own.

August 7, 2009 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  44. gen

Julia...

...I have never read the Twilight series, but the mentioning of how the same thing could never happen with faries because they have wings and throw glitter on people made me recall one hilarious thing I do remember hearing about Twilight.

...the vampires sparkled. :D

ahahaha-ahahahaha

August 7, 2009 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  45. margaret

totally skeptical but you might have just convinced me to see the movie at least!

August 7, 2009 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  46. Julia

Although I am not "vamp-crazy" I honestly think the vampire craze can not be compared to this new faerie and troll phenomenon. Faeries? Really? While at first the whole Vampire thing was clearly science fiction, it began to grow on the audience and I think people began to forget how contrived and fake the idea was... but I don't think the same thing could ever happen with faeries because, well, they have wings and throw glitter on people...and trolls are heinous (I must say Pattinson and the rest of the Vamps' stunning features just help us believe in vampires even more).

August 7, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |
  47. theresa

i'm pretty sure that that is the stupidest idea since the whole twilight monstrosity...

August 7, 2009 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  48. gen

I can't stomach Twilight.

Please, no more torture.