August 7th, 2009

And the winner of 'Dance' is...

After last night's final performance show, it was clear that Jeanine had done one of the most brilliant solos ever seen in the history of "So You Think You Can Dance," and a final solo, to boot. What wasn't as clear, at least to this blogger, was whether her extraordinary performance in the final week, including a smoldering paso doble with Brandon, would be enough to place her in the winner's circle.

dance winner

Then, after reading your comments Thursday morning, many of which were from fans of Jeanine, it looked like she might just pull this one out after all. The way that the audience at the finale erupted at the mention of her name early on was another clue.

Week after week, Evan escaped the bottom two and even Wednesday night, the audience chanted his name, so there was no doubt that he was formidable competition. At he same time, the judges praised Kayla's skill time and time again, and Brandon wowed us on so many occasions this season, that it wasn't always easy to see the Jeanine train coming.

But when host Cat Deeley announced that Evan came in third place, it seemed like the voters had taken what host and executive producer Nigel Lythgoe said to heart, and Brandon and Jeanine were destined to go to the end together. Looking back on some of the judges' favorite routines as presented in the finale, we saw the two evenly matched, including judge Mary Murphy wanting to see the pair's paso doble one more time. It could very well have been to that solo, and possibly even memories of that Travis Wall choreographed routine with Jason (and the "unchoreographed smooch") to make the difference.

Of course, let's not underestimate the power of a strong personality. We were reminded more than once that Brandon wasn't showing enough confidence for the judges' taste (which might have had a little something to do with a certain Emmy-winning choreographer with the initials M.M.), whereas Jeanine had charisma to spare (see her "Thanks to the Academy" comment at the end of the show).

In this humble blogger's opinion, both Brandon and Jeanine were more than deserving of the title, and it was inspiring to see such drive and creativity in the final stretch rewarded by so many of the record 21.6 million votes.

Some final notes on the finale itself:

- It was terrific to see Brandon and Janette (this year's Katee and Joshua) back together. But where was their Wade Robson jazz routine? No extra staircases in the Kodak Theatre?

- After swearing off the idea of judges dancing on the show ever again after last season's finale, Lythgoe and company had one more trick up their sleeve with a surprise entrance at the end of the final group Broadway routine. From what little we saw of them actually dancing, Tyce Diorio seemed the most into it, but then again, that's his style.

- On second look, that group routine choreographed by Dmitry Chaplin, and Tabitha and Napoleon D'Umo might just be one of the best things I've ever seen on the show.

And now for your thoughts: Does "America's Favorite Dancer" Jeanine deserve the title? Do you agree with Lythgoe's comment (made just prior to the finale) that the best dancer every season has never won the show?

1. teknologi

I've been surfing online more than three hours nowadays, yet I never discovered any fascinating article like yours. It's pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made just right content as you did, the net will likely be much more useful than ever before.

June 5, 2012 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  2. Monique Lee

Brandon was the better of the two and really deserved to win!!!!

August 8, 2009 at 3:28 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Macy

Jeanine is great, but Brandon clearly got robbed. Besides having a boy and girl winner I think that voting needs to change. It should be one vote per phone. How is it that Jeanine was in the bottom a few times and then all of the sudden she wins, hmmmmm? Voting/connections are very powerful in Miami. Remember Chris Allen and Adam Lambert, do you see where I am going with this!
    Jeanine is worthy of winning due to great technique, but so was Brandon and he was consistant throught the whole season.
    Connections, connections and who you are seem to be winning these competitions!
    Congrats Jeanine and Brandon, you are both fantastic!

August 8, 2009 at 12:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. maya abi

I thought the judges were pretty bad on Evan the night before. It was pretty obvious they wanted to sway the audiance away from voting well for their favorite but more so for the best potenitally (sorry think Brandon and Kayla were best, Jeannine just worked her hiney off the most). Hardest foght for Jeanine, best lines Kayla, best difficulty consistancy Brandon, Most personality on stage Evan. The audiance never did let the judges have a go at Evan and now I see why.

August 7, 2009 at 8:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bigo

CBZ Wrote: August 7th, 2009 3:04 pm ET

Did anyone happen to catch the one missing judge from the end of the Chorus Line number? I guess Li’l C wasn’t up to the challenge…

I'm pretty sure that last Chorus Line number was pre-recorded. If you noticed, Ade and Millissa had just gotten off stage from their Breast Cancer piece, and three seconds later, they were back on stage in full costume and make up for the Chorus Line piece. Yeah... that was pre-recorded... hence the missing Lil C.

August 7, 2009 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Bigo

GRS Wrote: August 7th, 2009 2:33 pm ET

Did you see the attempted smooch at the end of the Bollywood dance? When I saw that, I actually said “Give me a break!” out loud, as it looked like she was trying to copy the Jeanine move. WHY?

Actually, that kiss was in the originally Bollywood number in week one. The Jeanine smooch came after in week six, if I'm not mistaken. It was the first week of the top ten.

August 7, 2009 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Humble Opinion

Jeanine was bubbly, bright, voluptuous and a pretty good dancer. Not as good as Kayla or Brandon but – people vote for their favorites so what can you do?

Just keep in mind, Kherrington (from last year) is starring in the new Fame movie due out in September and she came in...what, sixth or something? last season.

I don't think ANY choreographer would turn down an opportunity to use Brandon or Kayla in their show, regardless of style. Brandon's strength and Kayla's grace along with their ability to take on all of the styles so well was really wonderful.

PS – What's with no Brandon /Mia Michaels routine? I would have loved to see what she would do with him.

August 7, 2009 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  8. SYTYCD Enthusiast

Ummmm....why wasn't the 7th 'judge', you know the often erroneously verbose one, part of the chorus line show stopper? If you can't perform ALL kinds of dance, why is he on the show? This unspeakable snobbery which was grandly displayed by the omnipotent evaluator is a slap in the face of the ever hard-working enthusiastic and joy-filled contestants in such an exuberant display of hate-itude. thumbs down – BUCK him!

August 7, 2009 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |
  9. PD

Joshua was not the best dancer last season. Will was the best dancer and was voted off prior to the finale!

August 7, 2009 at 3:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. CBZ

Did anyone happen to catch the one missing judge from the end of the Chorus Line number? I guess Li'l C wasn't up to the challenge...

August 7, 2009 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Jo Navarro

I quit voting on all these contests when Chris Daughtery lost on American Idol. The judges didn't even back him up by showing any or at least some outrage. Still, he has shown them all. He has came back to be the strongest Ever. Anyway , back to the Dancer show. I thought the Ballerina and Brandon were the two best dancers on the show this last season. The girl who won did not show me that she was the best by any means. I wouldn't pay to see her, however, To be able to see the Breast Cancer dance again I would pay good money. The best of the entire season. Just my opinion.

August 7, 2009 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Gary

The show had unbelievably GREAT talent this year. There were no slouches. The worst performance I saw could probably be rated as GOOD. I am truly amazed at the physicality and intelligence of the dancers. How the heck are they able to memorize and then go out and brilliantly perform so many varied routines week after week???

I applaud all 20 participants. Good show, everyone!

August 7, 2009 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. GRS

Did you see the attempted smooch at the end of the Bollywood dance? When I saw that, I actually said "Give me a break!" out loud, as it looked like she was trying to copy the Jeanine move. WHY?

August 7, 2009 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. James Bortozetzki

I won the title "Worlds Best Dance Evaluator" in Helsinki in 2008 and my analysis of these dancers suggested Kayla was the best dancer.

August 7, 2009 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Thanh

Heck yeah, Jeanine deserved it. She might not be as strong as Brandon, but in my opinion, she's the best performer. She really knows how to work it. Every movement she makes is meant to perform rather than to get from point A to point B in the routine. The controlled stop out of the pirouette was unreal. The jete to slide in the paso doble was unreal. She's showed something new and improved every week.

Brandon's awesome, but sometimes he momentarily loses connection with the audience. We like to watch him, but he needs to acknowledge that and reciprocate. I really think he has still a lot of untapped potential, and he can be uber over the next year.

Kayla is the same way, sometimes I feel like she's not really maxing her performance. There's periods where it really feels inward. We'll also see her shine after this.

Evan is awesome too, and a great performer, but his style has some limitations, and it keeps him from going into unknown regions of dance. He can be a rising Broadway choreographer, after a few years, which is great.

They all deserve it in their own way, but I think Jeanine was the best balance. Jeanette is also amazing, but everyone in the top 10 were amazing. It's America's "favorite" dancer and Jeanine was definitely one of my favorites.

August 7, 2009 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Chrissie

Remember...it's America's FAVORITE dancer. Not America's BEST dancer. Did all of you J haters vote???

August 7, 2009 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Chrissie

I never liked Brandon's dancing personally. At least not his solos. Kayla never did it for me either. Something was lacking in both of their personalities. I never really "latched on" to any one dancer this year, like in all the previous years. Nobody really grabbed me. They need to try and not put SO MANY contemporary dancers into the top 20, because those are the most boring solos ever. Sorry.

I think of the 4 we were given to choose from, America made the right choice.

August 7, 2009 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  18. Darryn

This was a great season. There were probably 5 women who could have taken the title and 4 guys. The strength of the dancing was by far the best this show has seen. I am thrilled that Jeanine won. Just as I would have been thrilled had Kayla, Brandon or Evan had won. All four finalists had strengths that put them there. Kayla's grace and those tremendous legs were a highlight every week. Brandon's strength and precision were phenomenal. And Evan put everything into the routines and brought style to every dance. But Jeanine survived despite having a weaker partner early in the season precisely because she could dance and she had personality to spare. Her audition won me over from the start. The tour should be fantastic. Wish I could afford to go.

August 7, 2009 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  19. gf

I think any of Brandon, Janine, Kayla, or Janette (yes, Janette!) could have taken it, depending on who had the best night at the end, and I'm happy for Janine (those pirouettes really were *insane*).

I'm stunned by those who've knocked Janine technically – she has a different body type than Kayla, so her lines will never look the same, but her control is ridiculous.

Kayla was outstanding in all of her choreographed pieces, but I was never really drawn in by her solos (do they choreograph those themselves, or can they have help?). To me, her solos didn't say anything – they were more like a series of pretty awesome moves squeezed into a short song.

Brandon is, of course, an incredible dancer. I actually think he might have won if he had let a little more out about who he is as a person throughout the season, so we felt like we got to know him better. (don't we all love a story? Wasn't Joshua all the more appealing when you knew where he came from?)

I love Evan, but I do think he was out of his league toward the end. BUT, I actually thought he did really well in a few of the finale performances, and I thought the judges were over-the-top hard on him. I've agreed with the judges on Evan on the earlier shows, but I really thought he stepped it up on the jive and the piece with Janine.

And, I wish that they'd break down the gender rules toward the end, too, because Janette should have been there. For a relatively untrained dancer, she was incredible (heck, even for a trained dancer, she was incredible).

August 7, 2009 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
  20. Jane

Definitly wrong winner. Very good but not good enough to beat Brandon. He is a winner big time. And I agree with Nigel's comment, exept last year – Joshua was all away my favorite.
    Wish you lots of luck and success Brandon. You are the BEST DANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 7, 2009 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  21. cocobear

i agree with whoever said they should have a michael jackson tribute. he probably did more to inspire a lot of people to dance than any dance school in the country. plus, wasn't wade robson a friend of his who visited him at neverland?

August 7, 2009 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  22. Angel

Congrats to Jeanine but I think Kayla should of won, agreeing with Toney who commented earlier, "here we have an diamond already polished." Kayla has MAD skills. Love her!

August 7, 2009 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  23. VICKI

I'M AGREEING WITH THE COMMENTS THAT THERE SHOULD BE A FAVORITE FEMAL AND MALE AWARD. THEY ARE DIFFERENT IN THEIR PERFORMANCES, AND THE DIFFERENCES ARE FUN.. IT WOULD BE MORE FAIR TO HAVE 1 OF EACH.

August 7, 2009 at 1:14 pm | Report abuse |
  24. Paulo Moncores

She is good, but not that good. Kayla is way better. If Kayla has taken better partners along the ride and dance thrilling and/or sexy routines sucha as Tango and Salsa, it would be a bloodbath. In fact that was the reason Melissa lasts for so long.

August 7, 2009 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  25. dance fan

I thought this season was very hard to decide, as all the dancers were very very good. I personally was hoping Ade or Melissa would win the whole thing, as they were my favorites, but J was also very good and showed how she took on characters, not to mention how wonderful her control was in the last solo. I know Brandon is also a fantastic dancer, but he made a very strong choice. He decided to dance showy and flashy at the end to win, and I know I prefer a good slow, artistic dance. The funny part is Brandon can do a good slow dance also...

August 7, 2009 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  26. CK

"TN’s comment is idiotic. Why does everything have to be about about race (his “full lips” reference)?"

Pretty sure TN was referring to Jeanine's lips. Why does everything have to be about race?

August 7, 2009 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  27. MaidenCanada

Kayla should have been in the top two...she is amazing!

August 7, 2009 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  28. Kelly A

I am still a little upset that there was no tribute to the King of Pop, Michael Jackson, this season – I think they should have made more of an effort to get the approval to do it as it is a dance show, and somehow everyone else was getting approval to do tributes, such as the BET awards and the upcoming VMA's. I would like to see a good tribute to Michael on the upcoming season of SYTYCD.

August 7, 2009 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  29. Em

I was rooting for Jeanine every step of the way. She was able to stand out on her own and was never "overrated" by the judges like Kayla was. Evan, I agree, super adorable and great in his own style, but I still can't believe he beat out Ade for the final 4. I think Jeanine seemed surprised & grateful, and she was truly one that showed everything she was made of.

August 7, 2009 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  30. Tom

The confidence suggestion you made about Brandon :( which might have had a little something to do with a certain Emmy-winning choreographer with the initials M.M.)? I think it was very disheartening and the American public thought so this as well. I do think it affected his performance after the fact. But congrats to them both!

August 7, 2009 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  31. cinder

America's "favorite" dancer doesn't necessarily equate with America's "best" dancer. In my opinion, likeability is what garners votes for individual contestants. I enjoyed watching all of dancers and my favorite continues to be Kayla.

August 7, 2009 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
  32. cellisis

technically, Brandon is absolutely the best dancer. but whatever the favourite means in the end was what counts. so, winning or not doesn't mean that much, except for the prize.

August 7, 2009 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  33. vichom

I feel Brandon was the most consistent, better dancer over the winner. I feel he will go far in his dancing career.

August 7, 2009 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  34. BZ

I have to say that I'm somewhat disappointed. This has turned into a likeability contest, not a dance contest. Yes – Evan was an absolute sweetheart, but in my opinion his skills were not on par with the other three dancers and he should not have been in the top 4. Kayla's technical skills were fantastic! Those legs/lines – OMG! I also personally feel Kayla's skills surpassed Jeanine's. Kayla was breathtaking – although her solos were lacking and that hurt her. And Brandon???? Brandon was perfection through and through – solos and combined routines. He should have edged out Jeanine to take it all. Regardless, they all worked their butts off and are all winners in my book. Kudos to everyone!

August 7, 2009 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse |
  35. LR in St. Louis

Congrats to all 4 dancers. I agree that since a male and felmale dancer is eliminated each week, that the prize should go to the best number one female and best nuber one male.

The best exposure for all 4 will secure them success. Great year!

August 7, 2009 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  36. kim smith

Jeanine was a well deserving winner – congrats girl.

August 7, 2009 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  37. Carol W.

I agree with those of you who said that there should be a title for the best male and female dancers, especially since they are voted on as couples in the first few weeks of the competion. Brandon surely deserved the title as much as Jeanine. The whole show last night was tremendously entertaining. That Calle Ocho routine was amazing! I think that Kayla has a great personality and she proved it last night in the hot pink rumba and the addiction number. I was never crazy about her solos. Sometimes, it seemed like she was throwing a series of stunts together instead of dancing. I just have to say congrats to all of them!!!

August 7, 2009 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  38. Jon from Phoenix

SHE ABSOLUTELY DID!!! When I watch these shows, I always ask myself who I would pay money to watch perform...Jeanine, Kayla, and Brandon are in that category, so any one of them could have won and I would have been satisfied.

August 7, 2009 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  39. Jeffrey J.

TN's comment is idiotic. Why does everything have to be about about race (his "full lips" reference)? This show was about choosing "America's Favorite Dancer" not the best technical dancer. Kayla was my 'favorite dancer' and Jeanine (with her sexy body) was my second choice so I never once voted for Brandon.

August 7, 2009 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  40. TN

I think the millions missed the mark with this one!!! Was it the "full" lips???

I do disagree with Nigel...let's not forget all the previous winners on the show.

However this season...not the right choice...as far as I could see...

Brandon [should have] WON!!! Hands down! I mean come on, how can you deny all that????

Um!!! I'm sure he'll get a J-O-B!!!

August 7, 2009 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  41. Relly

Jeanine was nice and talented...and clearly the top 4 wasn't everyone's favorites. But Janette (Miami girl) was by far the most likeable with stunning personality, very talented and an outstanding dancer...and NEVER to have gone to the bottom. That's why she was the judges favorite dancer. Oh...and one other important thing...she is self-taught and by far the best in the bunch...Did you see that tango she did a few weeks ago?!! Are you blind – her technique was pefect. That's why the judges said it was the most perfect technical performance ever to hit their stage. And they were right. How could you do that with NO previous technical training. Now that's a dancer at heart. And I was so excited to see her dance every week. She may not be Americas favorite dancer, but she sure was mine. And Ade was my second favorite – yes dancers from the heart.

August 7, 2009 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
  42. Jeanine Fan Hands Down

This is America's FAVORITE Dancer. Not America's Most Technical Dancer. I voted for Jeanine 3 times and she won. I am excited and overjoyed. To be honest as far as the girls went I like Janette, I thought she was better than Kayla and Jeanine. But when she was voted off I realized that Jeanine had what it takes. Everyone knows Hands Down that Brandon is the most talented dancer that crossed the stage this season but it's not about talent, technique, or skill. If it were then they wouldnt have to be trained in different styles of dance they could win on the merit of what they do best. It's about who the fans consider to be the FAVORITE and lets face it that was Jeanine.

August 7, 2009 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  43. Brandon Fan

I'm glad they say the winner is America's Favorite Dancer, not America's BEST Dancer. I was SHOCKED to hear that Kayla was in 4th place... I would SO have thought the contest would be between Brandon and her. But Evan and Jeanine were very likeable, and I think that is what won Jeanine her crown. I think both Kayla and Brandon are stronger dancers, but in mulling it over this morning, I think they don't shine with personality the way Jeanine does. They are both a little bit more humble/retiring, and while it's charming, it's not as vote-enticing. I have a soft spot for Brandon, but in retrospect, part of that is because of his self-effacing personality, which I think didn't work for him with many voters. Oh, well. I'm sure he and Kayla will be very successful based on their exposure.

August 7, 2009 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  44. jean clark

I think it is a shame that there is not best male and best female because Brandon surely deserved to be in the winners circle. Jeanine was a fabulous dancer but Brandon was peaking all through the competition not towards the end. I sincerely hope he gets some good career opportunities.

August 7, 2009 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  45. Love Jeanine

Jeanine deserves every little bit of that title.... her personality is amazing and her dancing has been unbelievable since day 1. she made every one of her partners better, not the other way around and there wasnt a dance she did that she did not excel in. Kayla and Brandon were both amazing dancers, but when it came to the whole package.... Jeanine was clearly a favorite, rightfully so. I am so happy for her, I wanted her to win since the first show (and Janette). I was in tears when she won.... sooooo happy :)

August 7, 2009 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  46. Bigo

Don't forget guys, the title is not "America's Best Dancer," it's "America's FAVORITE Dancer," and I think Jaenine did enough to win that title. She showed tremendous growth throughout the show, and she is a fantastic dancer. True, Kayla was technically the better dancer of the two girls, but their personalities played a big role. And of course, Brandon was a beast. NO ONE on this show was a better dancer than he was. Like most talent reality shows, the best never wins (i.e. Chris Daughtry), and Brandon was good from the beginning, and people love seeing growth. He's got a very bright future ahead of him. Although I thought it should have been Janette all along, Jeaning I think is very deserving.

August 7, 2009 at 10:39 am | Report abuse |
  47. Nestor

I think she really deserve winning, She grew throught the competition and the paso doble was amazing. If you think about it when kayla and her did the dance of taking the layers of cloth off my family could not take their eyes off jeanne, she was very impressive and good. I am a little dissapointed with the judges. I feel that evans was given the short stick and from the comments of the judges they did not liked him at all and it showed. They will praise him for his face and not for his wonderful job as a dancer, we were not in a beauty contest it was a dance contest and for me he was realy good too. Brandon and kayle outstanding. In my book they are all winners. By the way did Mia ever apologize to Brandon for not beleiveng in him?

August 7, 2009 at 10:35 am | Report abuse |
  48. nanc

I feel that any of the top 3 – sorry, Evan, I loved ya, but you are not the most well rounded as the other 3 – any of the other 3 could have just as easily been the winner..

I feel that when it come down to the final 4 – they should all have to do the same routine – same costumes – same music.. then – and only then is it a true competition.. if they are given a routine that is less that showy for their talents – or the costumes are a turnoff – or the music doesn't match the routine (which at times for some reason they play pop music for a tango or such).. then it is not an even playing field..

congrats to the winner – and yes, all 4 were great in their own right.. !

August 7, 2009 at 10:34 am | Report abuse |
  49. Brendan

Pound per pound, Kayla was the best dancer. It should have been Kayla and Brandon in the top two with Kayla just edging out Brandon or Brandon winning. It will be Kayla and Brandon that will have the most significant career and impact on dance. Every contemporary dance company in the country will want to sign them. I had a problem with Nigel saying that Kayla didn’t show enough of her personality. Are you kidding me? Maybe he saw different performances than I did. I think he steered votes away from Kayla during most of the season. Just guessing, but if the choreographers were to all pick who they think the best dancers were, I am pretty sure it would be Kayla and then Brandon. Janine, Janette, and Aday were great as well. I think this has been my favorite season.

August 7, 2009 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  50. Sage

Jeanine was my favorite dancer of the season, but I was still conflicted over how it would end because I felt for most of the season that Brandon was the best dancer. I was expecting Brandon to win, but my heart was hoping Jeanine would win. I would have been just as happy if Brandon won, but I couldn't wipe this silly grin off my face when they announced Jeanine as the winner. I think she's absolutely adorable (not to mention sexy as hell) and I can't wait to see her dance in the future.

August 7, 2009 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  51. Meg

Congrats to Jeanne – she really rose to the occasion. However, I think Janette was robbed. Kayle and Brandon were the most consistent all season and as two of the final four – one of them should have been selected. But this show asks for America's favorite dancer – not the best dancer.

August 7, 2009 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  52. Leonard C

I think, especially in the past couple of years, that the best dancer comes in second. I am truly happy for Jeanine, but when it came to technique and skill Brandon had it hands down. Look at the talent of the second place winners Travis and Danny. I think the only time the choice was right was Joshua. Katie and Blake were also awesome. Jeanine was the whole package and I think there was a little bias towards Brandon, and I am not talking race. Remember the AI Finale.

August 7, 2009 at 10:08 am | Report abuse |
  53. LA VITA D. WATTS

THEY WERE BOTH EXCELLENT, BUT MY VOTE WAS FOR BRANDON. HE HAS THE FULL PKG! GRAT SEASON THOUGH. THE JUDGES NEED TO STAY IN THER SEATS PLEASE! :)

August 7, 2009 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  54. Jeffrey J.

I am happy Jeanine won. I was actually rooting for Kayla. Kayla had the 'million dollar' legs but Jeanine had the best (sexiest) body of all the women in the top 20 so I'm sure that won her some votes from the guys.

August 7, 2009 at 10:00 am | Report abuse |
  55. Krista

I think Jeanine deserved this...not that Brandon didn't. When it came to solos, Jeanine's routines always seemed very thought out and well choreographed. I was happy that Brandon and Jeanine both made it to the final 2. They both deserved it.

August 7, 2009 at 9:58 am | Report abuse |
  56. Suzanne VanRandwyk

Jeanine absolutely deserves the title. Brandon too. Let's face it, the final four all deserved it but it just came down to the fans calling it. They are ALL four super talented. But I have to admit that Jeanine is my favorite.

August 7, 2009 at 9:56 am | Report abuse |
  57. Patricia Lehmann

I agree with Nigel's comment, the best didn't win. Brandon has shown all during the season how good he was. So didn't Jeanette. I was rooting for her. Jeanette had personality, and whatever dance style she did, she excelled. Whereas, if Jeanine won based on her great finale solo, that is not fair to someone who has shown brightly every week. Personally, I found Jeanine's solos boring.

August 7, 2009 at 9:54 am | Report abuse |
  58. mazie916

The finale was awesome! Jeanine is definitely deserving. All 4 were deserving but I think after the paso doble Wednesday night, it was obvious that it was going to come down to Brandon or Jeanine.

I love dance even though I have two left feet . To see it being brought to a whole new generation this way brings tears to my eyes.

If the judges want to get up during the finale and do a step or two, they deserve it for all the years of blood, sweat and tears and dedication to their form of artistic expression.

August 7, 2009 at 9:48 am | Report abuse |
  59. Lynn Dee

Can someone tell us how much money each dancer receives..

August 7, 2009 at 9:45 am | Report abuse |
  60. Dave Nelson

Quick comment,

America got it right – period ! iv watched ALL 5 seasons and Jeanine is hands down the best ( EVER ) on the show.

she comes in a all in one package..and then some.

August 7, 2009 at 9:42 am | Report abuse |
  61. Cathy Sullins

So Kayla is at the top of her form from Day 1, but Jeanine peaks at the home stretch? Are you kidding me? Consistent excellence should have been rewarded and I hope Kayla's career zooms into orbit. One man's "charisma' is another man's "cocky."

August 7, 2009 at 9:41 am | Report abuse |
  62. Sean

I think Jeanine deserved to win, but I think Brandon was slightly better. I was always bored with her solo's because they were always the same with the exception of her final solo which was...amazing. I was in agreeance with Nigel that it should be those two fighting for the title, but when her name was called, I didn't find myself yelling in excitment and victory as I would have if Brandon's name would have been called.

August 7, 2009 at 9:37 am | Report abuse |
  63. Cujo

I think Brandon should of won...

August 7, 2009 at 9:30 am | Report abuse |
  64. TONY ALVAREZ

I DON;T KNOW ABOUT MR. LYTHGOE'S COMMENT FOR "EVERY SEASON" BUT REMEMBER THE CONTEST IS FOR "AMERICAS FAVORITE DANCER" SO IT'S NOT WHO HAS THE BEST MOVES, BUT MORE WHO THE AUDIENCE LIKES THE MOST.PERSONALLY I LOVED KAYLA.I DO HOPE PEOPLE OF INFLUENCE IN MOVIES,THEATRE AND BROADWAY WERE PAYING ATTENTION. HERE WE HAVE AN ALREADY POLISHED DIAMOND.

August 7, 2009 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  65. Gary

Jeannine proved herself a terrific dancer and a terrific personality. Her victory was well deserved. However, I would like to see the show change its format for upcoming seasons and reward both a best male dancer AND a best female dancer. The skill sets are dramatically different, and should be recognized accordingly.

August 7, 2009 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  66. M McAdams

No. J didn't deserve to be in the final 6, let alone win. There were at least 3 other girls who were stronger dancers, and Brandon's solo the previous week showed what an outstanding dancer looks like. Jeanine's solo this week was the only time she didn't fall out of her turns, and looked a lot like her other solos, just with different music. Not enough for me to merit the win, especially since she benefitted early on from her partner's popularity when she should have been voted off.

Kayla and Evan were at an extreme disadvantage with the country routine they were given. To me, it seemed like the choreographers chose their routines based on who they wanted to win – Evan got the short stick in all of his routines except maybe the group routine. Kayla's dancing was consistently better throughout the season, she's prettier, and for me, much more likable, mature and classy than Jeanine. But Kayla will go on to have a fantastic career, as will Brandon, the male powerhouse of the season. Additionally, compared with Jeanette or Melissa, Jeanine lacks in personality and technique.

I'm left feeling like Jeanine won because of the routines and partners she was lucky enough to draw, and that the judges wanted her to win, not because she's the best dancer. But I have to keep reminding myself that this is about popularity, not skill, and determined by lots of kids that have nothing better to do than camp on the phones all night long.

August 7, 2009 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  67. Kimlyn

Jeanine certainly did NOT deserve that title last night.

August 7, 2009 at 9:07 am | Report abuse |
  68. Rosemary

Brandon... Kayla should've won IMO

August 7, 2009 at 9:04 am | Report abuse |
  69. Jen - Knoxville, TN

I am so happy that Jeanine won! I have loved her from the beginning and she is the total package. It was great seeing all the routines from earlier in the season and wow the Calle Ocho routine was hot! One of the best! I can't wait for the next season and I hope we see more Jeanine in the years to come!!! Congrats!!!

August 7, 2009 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  70. Pat

It was very close...all final four were very talented...it comes down to popularity and Jeanine won...I think Brandon was the best dancer.I love the show and hope to see Paula A on it ....

August 7, 2009 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  71. Paul

I felt that Brandon was consistently the most talented and gave the best performances throughout the competition. Jeanine peaked at the perfect time. Had Brandon saved the solo he did last week for this weeks final competition, he would have won. It is true, you are only as good as your last dance.

However, Brandon was the most selfless dancer, making his partners look better, being there to support them. Jeanine was in it for herself. And she won.

August 7, 2009 at 8:52 am | Report abuse |
  72. BD

jeanine completely deserved the title. she's the perfect package of ambition, talent, and personality.

as for nigel's comment on the "best" dancer never winning, i have to disagree at least for last season with joshua winning. he was hands-down the best dancer of the group.

but yes, season one should've gone to blake. season two should've gone to travis. season three should've (i guess) gone to danny. if we're ONLY looking at dance skill alone. but that's not what the show is about. it's about the package.

August 7, 2009 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |