August 6th, 2009

John Hughes Gone

We just confirmed that director and writer John Hughes died. He had a heart attack while walking in New York City today.

All I can think, is "Wow". I strangely owe this man so much. "Sixteen Candles", "The Breakfast Club", "Pretty in Pink", "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". Genius. I can honestly say Hughes is single-handedly is responsible for most of my personal cultural touchstones and so many sayings woven into my permanent vernacular... "Beuller.. Anyone? ... Beuller?"  Hilarity. Still.
If you came of age in the 80's you have them too.
What are your favorite lines or unforgettable moments from a John Hughes film?

« Previous entry
  1. Kathleen Le Mer

John Hughes death...sigh....It is amazing how much one man who you do not even know can touch your life. Not a week, if not a day, goes by that my husband or I quote a line from a John Hughes film. "The Donger needs food!" My husband just recently went to his 20 year highschool reunion and giant pictures of his school mates were hanging high for all to see. The first thing he said was "They all look like they just stepped out of a John Hughes movie!"

August 10, 2009 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Kristi

where is grandpaws automoblie?

August 7, 2009 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. lisa salazar

He wrote about me, awkward teen girls and starry eyed girls who were always cool then we appeared. NOBODY wrote about teenage girls that were girls not just sexy jailbait except him. He will always live on in the movies.....

Allison Reynolds: When you grow up, your heart dies.
    John: So, who cares?
    Allison Reynolds: I care.

that says it all RIP

August 7, 2009 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. Scott

Sixteen Candles, Some Kind of Wonderful. The whole idea that the not so cool person could still find the love of their life in high school! For quite some time I blamed John Hughes for the unrealistic expectations he brought to me as a teenager growing up just outside of Chicago. But now to hear this news saddens me. I want to thank him for all the laughter and joy and hope his movies brought to me. If there was only one person's films I could watch for the rest of my life it would be John Hughes. Thank you John. And while I assume it's little solace I hope his family can take something away from knowing how much he meant to so many of us.

August 7, 2009 at 12:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. Gilbert Goodenough

Birth Defect, I've never bagged a babe, 16 Candles;
    Those aren't pillowwzzz, PT&A.
    Mess with the bulls, You get the horns Breakfast Club

I loved the John Hughes movies back in the day. The big homes, the cars, everyone gets the guy/girl they always wanted. Life could turn out so well. But why did everyone hate their parents?

The best thing to come out of John Hughes movies was the soundtracks. No other movie put so much good music, so many bands on the map.

August 6, 2009 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jen Ray

"B-O-O-H-O-O". The whole scene where Bender mock's Johnson's family. Oh, and.
    Skinner "What if your DOPE was on fire?!"
    Bender: "Impossible, sir, it's in Johnson's underwear."
    Johnson: shock and disbelief, mouth gaping open in disbelief, hiding his crotch with his hands...

August 6, 2009 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tim

"The Donger need food!" Sixteen Candles
    =========================================

Michael Keaton: "Beer?"

Martin Mull: "It's 7:30 am!"

Keaton:"Scotch?" from Mr. Mom
    ==========================================

and everything word of Planes, Trains and Autombiles!!

R.I.P. John, we'll miss you.

August 6, 2009 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Michelle

RIP John Hughes...

"You know how you said your parents use you to get back at each other? Wouldn't I be outstanding in that capacity?" – John Bender to Clair / Breakfast Club

"Oh Sexy Girlfreind..." – Long Duk Dong / Sixteen Candles

"Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious." – Simone / Ferris Beuller's Day Off

August 6, 2009 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |