August 5th, 2009

‘G.I. Joe’ actors bow down to American soldiers

When I sat down to interview the cast of "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra," of course I asked them about the film. But I was also interested in hearing about a red carpet they walked down a week before the film’s U.S. release.

Channing Tatum

A premiere and screening of "G.I. Joe" had already taken place at Andrews Air force Base in Maryland. The cast was flown in to meet service men and women, their families, and wounded soldiers from Walter Reed Medical Center.

While the film itself is based on the legendary action figures and comic book characters, the idea of the iconic American soldier is truly what G. I. Joe symbolizes - the men and women who serve their country.

When I asked the actors about visiting Andrews Air Force Base, each one of them quieted down immediately. No explosions, no special effects, just their thoughts on real G.I. Joes. As for Channing Tatum who plays "Duke" in "G.I. Joe," he told me that during the trip to Andrews Air Force Base, there may have been a little too much pomp and circumstance. Perhaps a meeting with the men and women who sacrifice so much should be a more solemn event.

Tatum explained, “It was really strange we rode in on Humvees, and we’re all pumped up, and everybody’s yelling and then all of a sudden we met all the wounded warriors. I wish we wouldn’t have met them in that atmosphere. I wish we could have had some time to actually hang out with them. But it really makes you sit back and say, ‘Wow. I need to do more.' ”

Marlon Wayans who plays "Ripcord" in the film told me, “We’re playing heroes in 'G.I. Joe', but when you actually go down and you meet those guys and you see what a real hero is and you see the damage that a war can do, it makes you have a whole other appreciation for what those guys do.”

Actress Sienna Miller who plays "The Baroness" said, “It was really humbling. Those guys are the real heroes, they were incredibly brave and you know, how grateful we are to have met them.”

“It was an awe inspiring experience.” Rachel Nichols added. She plays Scarlett in the film. “I mean we went to Andrews, they gave us a tour, it was just one of those things that we’ll never forget. And we’re really fortunate to be able to have done it.”

What would you say to the American troops if you had the chance to meet them?

« Previous entry
  1. Mindy

May God bless you and protect you. Your service is truly appreciated and your sacrifices should never be forgotten.

August 6, 2009 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jeremy

Thank you so much for your service to us and our country. I think we all often forget how much of a role you play in the defense for our rights and freedom. You are the true heroes on this world.

August 6, 2009 at 9:52 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jason

As a current deployed soldier in Iraq I want to thank everyone for there support and let you all know that is greatly appreciated. It was nice for a change not to see a single comment about us being baby killers. You don't have to support the war but you should always support the troops. Thanks again and God Bless.

August 6, 2009 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. Eddie

seeing these coments makes me proud to serve in the millitary. It's good to know that even though you might not agree with the war, you still support us. God Bless you all.

August 6, 2009 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  5. Sheri

Just a simple Thank You, God Bless you and your families who support you!!

August 5, 2009 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. soldier

Thank you all, from a soldier.

August 5, 2009 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |
  7. SE Stone

I was going to say what Dee said, what can WE do for YOU?

Seriously, can we not pay them enough to really live on? Can we not give all of them free airplane trips home and not let them sit on the floor in between flights? Can we stop only mentioning that 12 soldiers were "wounded" and say what really happened, that he lost his legs, or he has pieces of metal in his brain and is going to need a lifetime of help? The media makes it sound like they got a cut that had to be stitched. They are being mutilated, that's the disgusting truth.

I will be so glad when they are out of the war zones completely.

August 5, 2009 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. John Tiller in Dallas Texas

There are no words to explain the sacrfice that the soldiers make. Regardless of the sensless reason they are sacrificed, it is something only Americans can do the way they do!

August 5, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dee

You've all done so much for us as a country. Now...What can we do for you?

August 5, 2009 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
  10. VaLenda

Thank you for your service,sacrifice and dedication. You are appreciated and loved and we hope you can come home to stay soon. You will not be forgotten and are in my prayers always.

August 5, 2009 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Shane

Thank you and I offer my prayers for God's blessing upon all of you great men and women.

August 5, 2009 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Nan

If you want to support the troops, talk to the people that represent you in Washington. Did you know that young servicemen and women are so poorly paid that they often need to be on food stamps? It is SHAMEFUL that people who are willing to die for their country are not better taken care of.

August 5, 2009 at 3:34 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Klynne

Mere words can not express the appreciation I feel for the men and women who defend my right to live, speak and pray in anyway I choose. I even have the right to disagree with our leader and not feel scared of retribution. Our country isn’t perfect, freedom isn’t free; but those that defend it every day, are truly American Heroes.

August 5, 2009 at 3:26 pm | Report abuse |
  14. charlene g

id say "thank you" for all that youve done/continue to do, you all are MUCH braver/bigger/better people than i would ever be..hug and kiss, too =id also say a cake or cookies, but i cant cook! lol...i may not agree or approve of war, but i WONT knock those who want to serve their country. guys and gals in the military, you have my support,love and appreciation.

August 5, 2009 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  15. BobRed

Remember Mitchell Paige. He allowed his likeness to be used on G.I. Joe figures on the condition that G.I. Joe will always be a U.S. Marine. Two words every marine knows which Hasbro & Paramount need to learn: Semper Fidelis.

August 5, 2009 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Randy

We are so blessed to have young men and women who are willing to risk injury and death to defend our freedoms. They truly are HEROES! It's a shame that our Congress and our President would prefer giving a moment of silence to honor Michael Jackson instead of recognizing each and every one of our valiant men and women when their blood is spilled....

August 5, 2009 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  17. diana

I’d like to thank them all and give each of then a big hug and kiss.

August 5, 2009 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  18. meagan

I'd like to thank them all and give 'em each a big hug and kiss.

August 5, 2009 at 1:09 pm | Report abuse |
  19. Matthew Clark

There are only 2 words that will sum it all up.

Thank you.