August 4th, 2009

Jon and Kate: Going through the motions

I was a little distracted during Jon & Kate Plus 8 last night.  No, the phone wasn’t ringing incessantly; nor was my Blackberry vibrating with e-mails. It was something else, and it took me a little while to realize what it was. It wasn’t the fact that the couch was gone; but it was something about the new interview set up. Then it finally hit me; there, perfectly framed over Kate’s shoulder in the bookcase was her book, “Eight Little Faces." Can you say “product placement” people?

It’s as if the producers had a checklist of what they wanted to accomplish and sat with their trusty little clipboard with an editor as they went through the show checking things off of their lists.

• Address the fact that they started filming the kitchen remodel in January, before the divorce announcement to avoid any confusion to viewers. Check.
  • Have Jon be around a little bit for the first episode to satisfy viewers who are “Team Jon." Check.
  • Address the paparazzi that constantly follow the family around. Check.
  • Include cute children saying how their daddy would know how to build a tent if he were there and how mommy can’t make a fire. Check.

Truthfully, it was tiring to watch. If I hadn’t been watching for work purposes I probably would have changed the channel.

What did you think? Will you be tuning in again next week?

For all of the latest news on “Jon and Kate” be sure to tune in to Showbiz Tonight at 11pm ET/PT on HLN- Don’t miss it!

1. Susan

It is apparent that those of your commenting that Kate has OCD tendencies have no idea what the disorder is about. There is a huge difference between being a perfectionist and having OCD. Learn what you are talking about before you throw terms around. It is highly insulting to those who suffer from the disorder.

December 6, 2009 at 11:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Carrie

I cannot believe the people that have any sympathy for these two people at all. They have made their family into the" trueman" show for money no one else did that. They were on easy street, but to imature to keep the marriage or that ridiculous show going. If no one was interested in their life and for the life of me I do not really understand why that show appealed to anyone. I found it really difficult to watch. These parents are perfect example of the me generation it is all about me, me ,me. Neither Kate or Jon took the first bit of responsibility for any of their own behavior and now Jon wants to take his toys (children) and go home. Kate of course wants to stay on the air and why not she really does not do anything but sit on her rear and order people around. For the women who say they can relate to her as she is a single parent now raising her kids? With millions of dollars oh, bo ho. Well, now if she does not have access to her money,( which by the way is very hard to believe) and she cannot pay the bills in her purse instead of getting excited over a label maker. That just might be a show I can relate to. Welcome to the real world of divorce without the money,fame and camera crew, the free babysitting, the trips and all the free handouts. Kate without all that just could possibly be another divorced women left with an endless supplies of bills a guy that left her for a younger women, but really folks who wants to watch the real reality of divorce minus the millions. So, sorry Jon and Kate plus no money is just not as fun, but that is a show I would find very entertaining at this moment. I have a feeling they could not make it one day. Guess they will have to go back to their church and family and friends for their handouts. I feel sooo bad. BO HO.

October 7, 2009 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. kelli

Kate may be overbearing, OCD and whatever else–but we all have flaws. I see that she recognizes her challenges and is working on them. As humans, that's all we can do. Are you working on your flaws?

August 6, 2009 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nancy Borges

I made a decision to stop watching when all the drama, over the affair and the divorce, started. I don't want to watch the painful exhibit of a family falling apart. Jon smoking a cigarette, Jon drinking with his new woman, etc. I haven't watched the program in weeks and have no intention of ever watching it again. I agree with the observation regarding the producers having a clipboard and I don't care for it. It is very unfortunate that these two people, who have chosen to split up, can not come to some agreement and mend fences for the sake of their 8 children.

August 6, 2009 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Amy

I watched this show from the begining and was in awe of their monumental task of raising 8 kids, 6 of which we about the same age as one of my two. I was deeply saddened when their marriage, like so many these days, seemed to be falling apart but what bothers me most is the lack of talk about marriage counseling, etc. I think they owe it to themselves, their children and the millions of people they invited into their lives to publicly document some effort to save this marriage.I would think 8 lives would be worth the effort...

August 6, 2009 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  6. Maria

It made me sick when they said the show might really take off because there are so many women that are raising kids on their own and they can related to her. I have never met one women who is on her own with her child who she has to support , go to work , run around , pay bills, fix food etc. Give me a break , this women is not on her own, makes money off her kids show, has people helping her, vacation frees lives in a house that was brought for them , no car payments. Please we have 8 kids with only a mother and never lived the life like that . Take the show off and go get a real job both of them.

August 6, 2009 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. Sarah

I watch the show and was able to catch the season premiere this week. It is really frustrating to me when Jon and Kate continually talk about the most important thing is their kids. "Everything I do is for my kids." You cannot do everything for your kids if your marriage is going down the drain. The only way a marriage will work, especially with eight children, you need to put your marriage first and everything else will fall into place. Because if your marriage is still in tact then you can truly give everything to your kids. It's just unfortunate that the Gosselin's haven't and probably won't realize that.

August 5, 2009 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jan

I don't watch the show but you can't live in America and not know something about this family. Reading about them was enough for me and it seems Kate was too focused on her career to worry much about her husband. Not many mom's with eight kids could work and be a wife and mom–something had to give and it seems in her case it was her marriage. And you do need to be a wife if you expect your husband to be a husband. That said, it works both ways and I don't think he was really focused on doing his part either. Just sad for the kids–I was divorced so I know it happens but I think these people need to concentrate more on their kids and less on the public and the TV show, and their careers. Nothing wrong with either of them having a life but there's no way to keep out of the spotlight at this point so Jon, show some discretion for your kids!

August 5, 2009 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  9. Kelly

I have watched this show since the beginning and will continue to watch. This family was presented with an opportunity for financial security and they took it. It is too bad that Jon decided he would rather be a playboy than a family man. I used to think Kate was pretty hard on him, but after all of his recent exploits, I can see why she was hard on him. What an immature man. This man has done a total 180 from the man he tried to portray himself as just a year earlier. Good grief, now we have earrings in both ears, sloppy clothes, a cigarette and cellphone in his hands at all times, a new young girlfriend every month and Lohan for a "spokesperson"??? What an example to his kids he has turned out to be. And he claims to be "proud of himself"! What a jerk. He had so many doors and opportunity placed in front of him and he has just thrown it away on incredibly foolish behaviour. Of course, he is "only 32, still young", so I guess he's making up for lost time. Personally, Kate should stay in the house and Jon should get a dose of reality with visitation as it is in the real world! He probably hasnt given a thought to child support. Oh wait, he's gonna hawk Ed Hardy tee shirts, what a career!

August 5, 2009 at 12:24 am | Report abuse |
  10. Diana

It was hard for me to watch last night's episode, too. No, I wasn't emotional or anything. It just seems like it's so much about Jon and/or Kate now and not about the kids. Two people who decided to do a show to help others learn about their lives have turned into celebrities showing off all of the nice amenities they have been given as a result of their show's popularity. It was more enjoyable, to me, to watch the show before they moved into the "big house". Things were more down to earth. But then again, Jon and Kate were still together at that point.

August 4, 2009 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  11. LeAnne

The kids are the ones that will suffer from all of this. Kate and her OCD tendencies. Please, everything must be perfect for me. Then, her comment to Jon about – What planet are you from? She will never change. But, Jon, your kids need you. Hope you will be on future shows. Both of you need to think about the kids – money does NOT buy happiness and your kids will remember all of this. They need their parents – not "helpers".

August 4, 2009 at 8:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Loren

I was going to comment that it was interesting that there were no comments, but this has only been posted a few minutes. So the question is will there be any other comments? Have Jon and Kate Plus 8 had their fifteen minutes and wander back to obscurity as they should have done years ago, before all the attention fed their egos so much that they forgot what was important in their marriage? We can only hope.

August 4, 2009 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |