August 3rd, 2009

Ridley Scott to direct ‘Alien’ prequel

Face-huggers, a killer creature with way too many teeth and, of course, the chest-bursting scene.

Ridley Scott unleashed a monster that’s been scaring fans for 30 years when he directed the sci-fi classic “Alien” in 1979.

The film spawned three sequels and a couple of “Alien vs. Predator” movies.

Now Scott has signed up to direct a prequel to “Alien,” Variety reports.

The original, starring Sigourney Weaver and Tom Skerritt, followed the crew of the commercial space ship Nostromo as it responds to a beacon from a mysterious planet and finds itself becoming prey to a parasitic monster.

In the film’s most infamous scene, John Hurt’s character Kane, seen in the photo on the right, “gives birth” to the creature.

No word yet on the plot of the prequel, but fans are speculating whether the movie would focus on the crashed alien spaceship and the giant skeletonized “space jockey” the Nostromo crew encounters on the planet.

Fans are also wondering whether Weaver would make an appearance in the new film, but the actress says it’s unlikely she could reprise her role as Ripley.

"I don't see how Ripley could be part of a prequel," Weaver told MTV news, adding that she’s looking forward to the new film.

"I'm glad Ridley's connected to it because I know it will be classy," she said.

Post by: ,
Filed under: movies

1. JJ

I cannot wait to see this... Here is a word of advice

, RIdley Scott..
    IGNORE all of the sequels, and do what you do best, a killer movie and incredible scary ALIENS.... this is your baby, forget what Cameron or anybody else did to butcher the original... ALIEN belongs to the Master and creator Mr. Scott!!!!

November 7, 2009 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Shane McGuire

If Ridley Scott has been placed in charge of this new film, this is something to look forward to. There are only three directors at this point that could pull this off, Ridley Scott being one of the three.

Michael Bay, and Jerry Bruckheimmer would be the only other two that could pull this off.

All I have to say is prepare for a Roller Coaster of a ride and I would probably suggest diapers in the theater. Something tells me that you are going to have the brownie scared out of you.

I have enjoyed all of the Alien films with the exception of two, the last Ailen Vs. Predator was not very good, and Ailen: Resurrection just sucked. My favorite so far has been Ailens, and for those of you who did not see it in the theater, you have only been watching the edited version for video.

Check out the Director's Cut of Ailens. That is the film that was released in the theater. I think you will like the scenes that were returned to the origonal release.

As for the new film yet to be produced or released, well I look forward to a new version, and some closure as to where those Xenomorphs really came from!

August 20, 2009 at 4:51 am | Report abuse |
  3. Patrijc

Yes, Jar Jar the reject chest-burster with a flat floppy tail and a heart of gold...just bangs into things really fast and imitates colonist fart sounds...AND carelessly responsible for the Alien crash on LV-426. Oh, I'm sorry that's from the upcoming Saturday morning Alien cartoon series. You see where this is headed at the hands of Hollywood. This prequel is mostly a bad idea...mostly.

August 4, 2009 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. oink

I just hope there is plenty of gratuitous full-frontal nudity.

August 4, 2009 at 2:20 pm | Report abuse |
  5. eba

I hope they add a character like Jar Jar Binks to Alien. That would be sweet!

August 4, 2009 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. billy

None of you guys have a sense of humor!

August 4, 2009 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ortizimo

I have to agree with PiercedPsycho...dont make the aliens CGI. Well, unless it can compare to the CGI from JP (Original) then it could help a bit if used moderally. These days directors just make giant crappy video games that you cannot follow. Just because you put a billion explosions and some movement blur here and there doesnt make for a movie to be remembered like the original star wars, star trek, aliens, etc. These days everything made is disposable. Music, Art, Movies.

August 4, 2009 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
  8. Michael B

"ALIEN" is the best sci-fi film ever made and Ridley Scott has proven himself to be the ONLY director on this planet that can make a believable film that explores this material.

My main hope is that he forces a return to the original ALIEN look (8ft creature with clear plastic dome, indestructible, etc..) and not a bunch of 6 ft sprinters running around in costumes...

August 4, 2009 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  9. PiercedPsycho

If any Aliens portrayed in the movie are entirely CGI and not the way they were in the original, I will be severely upset.

August 4, 2009 at 10:30 am | Report abuse |
  10. patNY

I agree with Chargers Fan – if its not about how Jonesie the Cat meets Ripley, and how she falls in love with the cat as the replacement for her dead daughter, I will have no interest in this prequel whatsoever!

August 4, 2009 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  11. Elizabeth

Good, now maybe a decent film with him at the helm. It needs to be awesome to make up for AvP2. I liked AvP alot.

August 4, 2009 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  12. spookypaws

Being a huge fan of 'Alien' and 'Aliens' I'm excited about the prequel. I always wondered 'where' the Aliens came from and how/why they got to LV426. And how did the 'corporation' know about them and where they were?

The only sad thing is that it is unlikely Sigourney will be involved being that this is a prequel. Ripley kicks major butt, and I absolutely love how Sigourney Weaver portrays this particular character; she's tough, doesn't take any BS but she still has a kind heart and a sense of the greater good.

That being said, like most fans of the franchise, I was severely disappointed in Alien 3 (the fact they killed off everyone but Ripley from the end of Aliens was a big factor for me). It would have made more sense to me for them to actually get back to the space station, tell their story and of course, have an alien on board the ship as proof...However, Alien Resurrection was a fantastic recovery, given that they had to recover from the absolute crap that was Alien 3.

I prefer to only watch Alien and Aliens, pretending the other two don't exist, however, if this one is any good, then it'll be like a Trilogy!

August 4, 2009 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  13. citizenUSA

Almost any story can be re-told or expanded upon WHEN DONE PROPERLY! The public, including me, want the bang, boom, bam in our action movies. But we also want a reasonably fathomable, coherent plot, and good acting. As much as I admire Harrison Ford, he does not need to play Indiana Jones anymore although I believe there is a lot more to the franchise. Just like James Bond.

August 4, 2009 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |
  14. billy

I think that they should consider a new direction entirely...How about Harry Potter vs. the Alien?? In the opening scene, Harry, at Azkaban for the DUI he got last summer...blew a 1.8... is lying in bed dreaming about Ron...er, Jenny Weasley...when all of a sudden the Alien crashes through the ceiling with Ripley in his mouth, barely alive, ripped apart and scantily clad...of course. Harry whips out his wand only to see the Alien rip his arm from its socket...blood is spurting everywhere...pain and agony fill the air...can he save Ripley...can he save himself...can he find his arm, can he kill the Alien! "If only I could remember that spell ". Poor Harry...

I think you get the picture!

August 4, 2009 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  15. veggiedude

I loved the first sequel to Alien, it was different and action oriented, but I always wanted the franchise to get back to the science fiction. Instead it kept repeating the same monster elements over and over. There was a story to be told, of the original craft they found. I hope the sequel will shed some light on it, and get back to creating something original, wonderful and fresh again.

August 4, 2009 at 7:46 am | Report abuse |
  16. Eric

You're officially intrigued, Joe. :)

August 4, 2009 at 5:03 am | Report abuse |
  17. Ray V

I'm thrilled! The only thing that can get me absolutely over the top excited now is if H.R. Giger gets back on board as well, then...WOW!

August 4, 2009 at 4:43 am | Report abuse |
  18. Hot Diggidy

Mr. Scott, I trust that you will do a fabulous job! I expect nothing ordinary from you.... Good luck!

August 4, 2009 at 3:58 am | Report abuse |
  19. AlienOPhobe

I'd say let the Alien rest in piece. The visual standards of today have moved on, and the original Alien film, which stood as one of the most intense mainstream horror movies of its time, now comes across as almost meditative.
    The formula of "10 little movie characters" was also still fresh at the time, people weren't really expected to die like that in movies. Today, we are mass media force fed that kind of material on a daily basis.
    I'd say the world doesn't really need another one of these, unless Scott really comes across with something truly groundbreaking, which is unlikely to happen (seeing for example the interesting way Gladiator managed to only marginally touch upon truly interesting territory).
    LEAVE ALIEN ALONE!!! CAN'T YOU SEE, IT'S BEEN GOING TROUGH SO MANY DIFFICULT REMAKES ALREADY :o)

August 4, 2009 at 3:18 am | Report abuse |
  20. JJ in Chula Vista, CA

I think a prequel might venture to reveal the origin of the aliens. There might be a depiction of how the other alien's ship ended up crashed on the planet that the Nostromo crew investigated from the original movie. There might be an earlier encounter with aliens that's never been revealed that might show that the aliens are more tied into human history than expected.

August 4, 2009 at 2:46 am | Report abuse |
  21. Anne

I still remember the 1st Alien film. My Mom and I went together- I was terrified, and couldn't watch as the alien burst out of John Hurt's chest.
    The first film is easily the best. Still scares me today. The most memorable scene- the alien bursting out of Hurt's chest- was my Mom's favorite. My Mom was an Emergency room nurse at the time- and can still hear her commenting on the accuracy of that scene. Don't know on what basis she judged it to be accurate – didn't want to know!!
    Will certainly be interested in what Ridley Scott does with a prequel

August 4, 2009 at 2:45 am | Report abuse |
  22. Lefty Scot

Maybe a Rocky vs Rambo vs Alien movie? Winner could take on Hanna Montana...

August 4, 2009 at 2:12 am | Report abuse |
  23. Roger

Ridley needs to not forget why Alien (and Cameron's Aliens) were great. Raw, dark, gritty, without reliance on CGI. You could see and smell, and almost touch the fear off the characters.

The ONLY way this film will be successful is if it retains this style and DOESN'T reveal too much about the origins of the Aliens. There HAS to be some mystery left.

The attack on the derelic ship is likely too complicated to mess with, but ya never know.

I also hope they take into considering of the technology they used to represent the Nostromo; ie, CRT monitors and all that crap they had in the 80's. If this movie is a prequal to "Alien" and involves a ship, do they try and replicate the feel? Or just reinvent it with LCD's and futuristic props?

Really got to wonder what they will come up with. After this they should tap Cameron to do a prequel to Aliens that involves the take-over of LV-426. That would be a masterpiece, although it would be very tough to outdo "Aliens".

August 4, 2009 at 2:10 am | Report abuse |
  24. Stephen Walker

Totally Awsome news! I am excited that it is to be directed by Ridley Scott and bet it will scare the pants off most of us. I hope they go with an excellent story line. I enjoyed the first five even the first AVP that got some bad reviews. I was really unhappy with the second AVP that ended up being the typical old "Godzilla" storyline.
    I hope they can write in a part for Sigourney, I know that 30 years would be a bit much even in Hollywood to bring her back at an earlier age. buuuut, she was hot then but has aged well and is even sexier now. Maybe she can be Ripley's mother or something. either way bring on the Aliens.... just not through the Stargate...

August 4, 2009 at 2:02 am | Report abuse |
  25. Gloria

This is awesome. I can not wait to see this new film, as Weaver put it “I’m glad Ridley’s connected to it because I know it will be classy,”

August 4, 2009 at 1:58 am | Report abuse |
  26. James Donnelly

Guess what? Ridley Scott has done a LOT of crap in his career. As much as I worship BLADE RUNNER (and its infinite cuts), enjoy GLADIATOR (though definitely not worthy of a Best Picture Oscar), revel in the suspense of BLACK HAWK DOWN, he's also done LEGEND, HANNIBAL, the totally mind-numbing KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, and most recently, the very dry BODY OF LIES.

Oh, yeah. He also directed the very claustrophobic, but ultimately dull ALIEN. A prequel by him or anybody ultimately does nothing but milk an already-tired franchise.

August 4, 2009 at 1:49 am | Report abuse |
  27. Fernando F.

nothing better than knowing about gran'pa

August 4, 2009 at 1:44 am | Report abuse |
  28. dirk

can't wait for this one

August 4, 2009 at 1:34 am | Report abuse |
  29. O

Well first of all Aliens was the best movie of the group. The first one was good and well done but old and movies back then were lacking something. The sequels since Aliens were basically garbage and the AVP movies were just gimmicks trying to make a quick buck. Hopefully this prequel will be a nice addition to the series.

August 4, 2009 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  30. Tony Laudati

They really should do an ALIEN that comes after ALIENS with the premise that ALIEN 3 and ALIEN 4 never happened and was just a bad dream on Ripley's part. I want to see Newt grown up and now a commando, still harboring the horrors of her family slain by aliens, and wanting revenge, like Quint in JAWS. Then Newt's commando team gets captured by aliens, and it's up to Ripley, Newt's estranged step-mother, to rescue her.

August 3, 2009 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse |
  31. David

Ridley Scott will not be playing around on this one. He knows his talents very well. And, he already knows that if this is another CG 'orgy' people will hate it. Really bad.

This is a director that understands atmosphere and lighting to the nth degree. And he understands that it's the simplest of factors that really frighten people.

Darkness, misinformation and panic.

Can't wait to get my ticket! :-)

August 3, 2009 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
  32. kharmakhamelion

Wow... it sounds great but a I'm a little apprehensive at the same time. Seldom to prequels measure up. Still, if anyone can do it, RS can. Here's hoping!!!!

August 3, 2009 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
  33. George

At first I liked the idea: I'm very happy that Ridley Scott is doing this and not some crackpot hack. That is very good. But ... in the original, one of the things that made it frightening and cool was that it was the first time the aliens and the species that flew the wrecked derelict ship ever crossed paths with humans. The only clue anyone at that evil 'Company' had about the aliens was the repeating message that Dallas refers to in the original release. In the director's cut there is a scene where the crew gets to hear it, but its a bit of a let down. Either way, though, clearly the original intention was that there was no prior history of any sort between humans and either the aliens or the Space Jockey's race. So although I'm happy this is being made, I hope it isn't the sort of revisionist pablum we've been seeing over and over lately.

August 3, 2009 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  34. JSRagman

The original Alien was the best scary sci-fi movie ever made. The second was ok (not great) and the third one was crap. I quit going after after the third. With Ridley Scott involved once again, I will keep my fingers crossed.

August 3, 2009 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  35. Brandon

Alien was my first sci-fi film when I was like seven years old. I snuck out of my bedroom and watched it from behind the couch that my parents were watching it from. It was freaking FANTASTIC and TERRIFYING! I am so stoked about this!

August 3, 2009 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  36. troy

Ridley will know not to rely on CGI, and instead he'll focus on drama, suspense, and pacing. The formula with Alien, and for that matter Aliens, was very simple, and thus effective. Filmmakers today try to unnecessarily convolute things, and throw in 13 year old toliet humor for kicks. I know Ridley will not make this same mistake.

August 3, 2009 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  37. justin

a must see! my father works with them saw the trailer!: )

August 3, 2009 at 9:51 pm | Report abuse |
  38. Eugene

Sigourney Weaver’s Ripley will go down in cinematic history as one of the greatest sci-fi characters of all time, played by one of the motion picture industry’s most talented actors, in arguably the most exciting space thriller series to come out of Hollywood.

August 3, 2009 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  39. Ethan

Ridley returning to direct Alien? Only one word: BOOSH!!!! (for those of you wondering, that's a good thing)

August 3, 2009 at 9:29 pm | Report abuse |
  40. Kyle

I grew up loving the first two movies, but have to say that the whole franchise has been ridden into the ground. My hope is that Ridley Scott agrees and tries to recapture the elements that made the first two movies so great. Alien was very dark and full of dread. Aliens was more like some crazy roller coaster ride. What was great about both is that they left a lot to the imagination and they excited the senses...sort of like walking around in the dark and wondering if somebody is going to jump out and grab you. Let's just hope they don't blow all the movie budget on over the top special effects and it has a solid script.

August 3, 2009 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
  41. Peter Johnson

Tony wrote, "Also in response to Drew, Lucas did not do Stars Wars and then deside to make a prequel up to make more money, for those that know the saga, he had 9 episodes in mind from the start. He just happen to start at number 4."

Wow, I didn't know anyone still believed that! It's obvious watching the original SW movie that Lucas didn't have much of anything planned out beyond that.

And the idea of the first movie being "Episode 4" didn't even come along until 1979, when the studio re-released the first movie just before "Empire Strikes Back" came out, and added the "Episode IV" business (along with its new subtitle, "A New Hope"). When it was originally released in 1978, it was just called "Star Wars".

Oh yeah, the "Alien" prequel... it's probably a bad idea, but I hope Ridley Scott doesn't mess it up.

August 3, 2009 at 9:11 pm | Report abuse |
  42. Ramon

This is great because the only "Alien" movies worth watching are the first and second one directed by James Cameron. Everything else afterwords is "crap" including the Alien vs Predator which are both worthless. Ridley Scott is an awesome director and I am excited to see him back at work.

August 3, 2009 at 9:05 pm | Report abuse |
  43. Mike

Prequels are, as a rule, a mistake. People underestimate the power of NOT knowing all the back story. If someone has a NEW Alien story to tell, so be it. Maybe that's what Ridley's making. But, if anyone could pull off some sort of prequel, it would be him. I just hope it doesn't have Ellen Ripley. Her story has been told, let it be. Still, if anyone could make another good Alien movie, it would be either Mr. Scott or Mr. Cameron.

August 3, 2009 at 9:02 pm | Report abuse |
  44. theAntiELVIS

I heard the title will be "Alien: This Time It's About The Money"

August 3, 2009 at 8:52 pm | Report abuse |
  45. bud

I'm sure Ridley will give us nothing but his best. What do we already know? There was an emergency beacon on a planet. There was a downed alien ship on the planet. There's your story. How did the ship come to be there and what was it's mission? Was it sowing pods or taking them to destruction? And why?

Oh, there's a whole other story there that we haven't heard yet...YET! I've got an idea that Scott will tell it to us in his wonderous way, as usual.

August 3, 2009 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  46. rich

innumerous possibilities. unbounded anticipation. hope they don't screw it up – this could really be the icing...

August 3, 2009 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  47. Kristin

Ben Browder – yes, I can see that.

And any conversation about Scott's best films must include Thelma and Louise.

August 3, 2009 at 8:30 pm | Report abuse |
  48. Greg Ebert

I have some doubts about how this story will work; I assume that "Alien" (1979) is the first contact w/ humans, so is this going to be a monster-vs-monster movie ? I hope not. We filled our quota of those 50 years ago...

And if I had my pick of directors, I'd choose James Cameron; T2 was polished to perfection.

August 3, 2009 at 8:27 pm | Report abuse |
  49. Bill

Not bad, for a human. :)

August 3, 2009 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  50. Roberta

I love Aliens 1-3. I think enough time has passed that if Mr Scott relaxes with it and doesn't get carried away using CGI a prequel could be great.

August 3, 2009 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
  51. Daniel

I see this going two ways... either the AVP is taken into account or it is totally forgotten. So either it is the company and the alien ship's voyage right before Ripley's ship goes looking and the known universe has never seen an Alien OR it is a look back in time to when the Predators created the aliens to be the hunter/prey they needed and some humans will be thrown into the mix for digestion, etc.

I would say they will need to forget the Predator aspect to get a good movie. Bringing them in you just have an action film with no substance.

August 3, 2009 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  52. don mahanna

If you have not seen the extended cut of ALIEN 3, do it. The film was BUTCHERED after Fincher left the production. (its on the last 2 disc dvd edition)

The theatrical cut is a crime. Really great movie.

August 3, 2009 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  53. CharlieK

Sequals & Prequals are never as good as the original, ever!! I think people need to keep this in mind before they eventually comdemn this movie. I personally would like to see Ridley take a "less is more
    ' approach, maybe having no human presence at all. Just the aliens in there alien world communicating non verbally a'la Quest for Fire or Kurt Russells' "Soldier". Now I know the money people in Hollywood would never go for that, that would make a great movie and would'nt sell any tickets. I will look forward to whatever he comes up with though. Just please no Bruce Willis or Nicolas Cage!!
    '

August 3, 2009 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  54. Steven

I just hope they involve and bring more Marines for the job.

August 3, 2009 at 6:46 pm | Report abuse |
  55. Paul

I wonder if Sir Ridley Scott will release this from his new studios located in Toronto, Ontario – Formerly known as Filmport.

We can only hope so – a blockbuster of that magnitude can only help those in that city that require work still.

August 3, 2009 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  56. runkle

The AvP series is really the pre-prequel. This film I suspect will link the 2 series togther. It'll be interesting to watch regardless. Ridley Scott is legendary.

Also, Alien series is definitely relevant for our times. Not only because of the corporate greed theme. Aliens is about viruses and how Man's "progress" releases them. With AIDS, bird flu, swine flu etc...they would not spread if man could not travel so efficiently.

August 3, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
  57. Steve in PA

I always loved Aliens and Predator. They all got their start from Comic books then went mainsteam into movies. Unfortunatly, so much is changed to make a movie that loses all perspective to the original context of a comic. Alien and Aliens were the best of the series. Alien 3 was a pointless mess that made no sense and they killed off 2 great characters, Newt and Hicks. Alien 4, which I just watched last night, wasn't great, but wasn't bad. It was a new take on an old genre but still lacked in quality and suspense that Alien and Aliens had.

A Prequel these days is nothing new, thanks to George Lucas. Yes, SW1 sucked, but 2 and 3 were very well done, even with some cheesy stuff. After that, everyone started doing Prequels and most if not all have been bad. Same goes for franchise Reboots. The only movie to have a good reboot was Batman.

I don't see how an Alien Prequel will be any good, unless it introduces a bunch of new, unique characters that can be spun off into a new direction. We already know what happened in all the Alien movies...what happened before them, I really don't think many people will care. Predators created the Aliens as prey to hunt. Humans had nothing to do with it. But, since it's a movie, it won't have to follow the mythlogy of the comics.

I'll wait for the reviews before choosing to see this one.

August 3, 2009 at 6:30 pm | Report abuse |
  58. Chargers Fan

The only way this prequel will be of any interest to me is if it is a several-hour look at the life of Jones (the cat) prior to the time he became Ripley's pet.

Anything other than that will prompt me to write hate mail to eveybody connected with this thing.

August 3, 2009 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  59. MUDBOG!

The Star Wars saga wasnt envisioned to be 9 episodes originally. The universe and characters we love didnt reach the forms we recognize them as until just before filming began in 75. While elements of Vader's fall from the light and the disolution of the old republic were introduced through various Canonical publications, the immaculately conceived Annie Skywalker sad kid slave story, forbidden love bucket of slunk has earned Lucas a special spot in hell.

That said, how often do they hand the reins of a long downtrodden franchise not only to an acclaimed auteur, but the man who started it? We'll see.

Did you know: Prior to Alien, most of the principle production crew were involved in trying to bring Frank Herbert's Dune to the silver screen, which fell through. Pink Floyd was set to do the soundtrack. Instead, we get Toto. And Sting.

August 3, 2009 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  60. Eden

What next, Alien meets the Three Stooges?

August 3, 2009 at 6:00 pm | Report abuse |
  61. Chris

Origin stories are all the rage these days, aren't they? I see one of two outcomes:

1) Scott stays true to Alien roots and leaves enough to our imagination to intrigue and scare the crap out of us, and the movie enjoys box office success. Fanboys pan the movie as not being geeky enough.

2) Scott aims to please the hardcore Alien lore experts, plumbing an Alien origin story so intricate, so complex, and so nerdy, it bombs at the box office. Fanboys pan the movie for being too geeky.

I will withhold judgment until I'm in my seat at the theatre. If my seat isn't a little bit soaked in urine by the end, I'll be disappointed.

August 3, 2009 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  62. John

I would definitely watch it as soon as it comes out on HBO. Aliens (Alien 3) sucked so bad that it was the last time I went to a theater and paid to see a movie.

August 3, 2009 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  63. Lester

After seeing the Batman and Star Trek prequels that bested the original films, I'll be there with bells on to see what Ridley can do with a fresh approach to Alien.

August 3, 2009 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
  64. steve

this is very cool!! scott will definitly do a great job on this film, its what the fans deserve after aliens 4, and the ultimate insult to all aliens fans, the god awful AvP movies. i am completely excited about this, this is the movie that made scott a big director and i believe he will do his best on this film. i cant wait!!

August 3, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  65. flightstudent78

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

Let's get some class back into this franchise.

August 3, 2009 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
  66. Alicia

I think it is a fabulous idea! Ridley Scott's directing was the best out of all the Alien films .. I know he will bring back the "awe" of the first film we all enjoyed.

Alex, I have to disagree with you ... 1, 2 and 4 were the best of all the films .. 3 was awful.

August 3, 2009 at 5:38 pm | Report abuse |
  67. Nick

More CGI nonsense to ruin the genre. Please.. let it rest and just be what it is. Directors no longer know how to weave plot, humanity, suspense and action into a film. They've all become a virtual reality combination of cartoons and actors reacting to cartoons. This has disaster written all over it but still should be good for the morons who like to see "stuff blowed up real good!"

August 3, 2009 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  68. jim

Personally I'd like to see how that alien ship got there in the first place. Shouldn't be too hard. We start out with the usual family clap-trap, good-byes, see you for shrimp on the barbie when you get back old bean and that sort of thing. Then we have the take-off, then the mission and on the way back we stop for a drink on Rigel 4 (or wherever you like) and "lift" a package that seems to have been abandoned. After taking off, someone on the crew gets curious and opens the package. Turns out to be a nasty "gift" that was supposed to go to the hated ambassador over on Draconus 3 (ibid). And the rest is just pure Alien fun until Weaver's crew discovers the babies in the nursery peacefully sleeping under their dampening field and the clueless Earther barges in to wake them up! Well, with apologies to the folks on Mulberry Street, it could happen that way. :-))

August 3, 2009 at 5:34 pm | Report abuse |
  69. Joe

Hopefully the most memorable Alien character of all the installments will be repised for the Alien prequel; that of the comically psycho gung-ho soldier Private Hudson, played by Bill Paxton. We needed to see him die a few more times

August 3, 2009 at 5:30 pm | Report abuse |
  70. kevin

I can't wait, hopefully we'll find out how Weyland knew about the alien planet.

August 3, 2009 at 5:25 pm | Report abuse |
  71. youdontlovetv

Ridley Scott is the most underrated blockbuster director around. While not without his missteps; Alien, Bladerunner, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, etc. speak for themselves. This could be very exciting.

August 3, 2009 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
  72. Patrijc

This is a bad idea!!! Scott would not entertain the notion of a prequel unless enough money was thrown at him; that alone is reason not to proceed. It's going to be bad CGI crap! It has to be...that's what big studios aspire to these days. But IMHO, if Scott has to resurrect a franchise, I'd rather it be Alien than Blade Runner – don't tinker with perfection.

August 3, 2009 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  73. mcgregor0113

Loved ALIEN 3! Fincher did an amazing job on it IMO. While I am intrigued I am a bit nervous. I agree prequels can be a very bad thing. If not done right, it can kill an entire series. However, with Scott at the helm, I can rest a little – A LITTLE – easier. He started it all.

Let's just hope he doesn't end it all.

August 3, 2009 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  74. adam

I just watched 'Alien' the other night. I had to read this headline twice because I coulnd't believe my eyes. This is definitely something to look forward to. Thank you to the film Gods.

I wouldn't compare him to George Lucas at all. Scott actually knows how to make sci-fi movies. The man did Blade Runner for cying out loud!

August 3, 2009 at 5:06 pm | Report abuse |
  75. buffyrat

Wow! Alien remains one of my all time favorite sci fi/terror movies 30 yrs later. I watched the hundreds of pages of stuff on the laser discs about Alien and Aliens. There is a lot of material to draw on. I' mexcited. This is a movie I might actually go the the theater to see.

August 3, 2009 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  76. Xtopheles

Haggus, you hit the nail right on the head. I'll take a substandard Ridley Scott film over a 400 million grossing Michael Bay film ANY day, "Alien" franchise or not. The fact that it's an Alien film only sweetens the deal for me, as I've been a long time fan.

August 3, 2009 at 5:04 pm | Report abuse |
  77. jane

I want to see John Connors reprogram a Terminator and send it after the aliens. The Terminator cant be infected.

August 3, 2009 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  78. Steve

One of the top 3 movie directors...thank god not Michael Bay or McG or one of those other crap "filmmakers" (haha) I am so psyched!

August 3, 2009 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  79. Britt Maxwell

I just hope H. R. Giger is involved. He got an Oscar for the first film.

August 3, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  80. B

They really ruined the Ripley character in the last alien sequel, as much as I liked them to start, so I'm sort of glad the next alien movie won't have them in it.

August 3, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Report abuse |
  81. Brady

Ahh this could very good news. I have always thought there was a story to be told about the space jockey’s and the crashed alien ship.

Now, can we please get James Cameron on board to redo Alien 3 and then bury the hatchet after that!!?

August 3, 2009 at 4:48 pm | Report abuse |
  82. Mark

I think Ridley Scott is crazy for agreeing to do it with no script in hand to look at. I could easily imagine this being awful.

August 3, 2009 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  83. david

It could be interesting if they decrease the power of the Alien.

A less-evolved creature who is different in some way.

Or the ole' take a less offensive creature, have somebody mutate it , and it becomes dangerous.

Or a peace-loving creature?

Or a race that is torn between war and peace.

Seeing how the creature turned into what it is...that's the potentially interesting part. Think about it: the one interesting part of Star Wars stuff was watching Annakin turn into Darth. Even though the writing was terrible, it was still fun to see how he got from the beginning to the ending we knew.

August 3, 2009 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
  84. Tony

August 3, 2009 at 4:43 pm | Report abuse |
  85. Sander

I suppose Alien just went to 'long wait' on Netflix.

The Alien universe is dark and interesting with plenty of parallels to current mega-corp paranoia (which may be right on the money, who knows). A prequel could be quite interesting and I know I'll pop it on my netflix list as soon as the title is known :)

The whole merger of the Aliens and Predator universes is a bit strange although the first AVP wasn't all that bad. Well, not all that bad for a Scifi B movie.

So while a prequel has plenty of room to invent an interesting story line there's something to be said for coming up with something new instead if you've got the budget to do so. I mean once you're set to make a movie about space and some kind of menace the canvas becomes pretty big, right?

August 3, 2009 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  86. SBG

I;m going to suggest a leading man – a great actor. no matter what the role he can pull it off with great success.

Ridley – Ben Browder's your man.

August 3, 2009 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  87. Lissa Marie

I agree with Joe I'm offically intrigued. With Ridley Scott we can hope for and probably get a prequil that rivals the first and best film of the series Alien......I did not care much for the sequels.....

August 3, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  88. Jake

Can't compare Star Wars prequels to any other film. G Lucas butchered the prequels with over the top effects, and weak story lines. Loved the old Star Wars, and these disappointed big time.

August 3, 2009 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  89. Shank

As an Alien fan, I'm very intrigued. If it were any director other than Ridley Scott, I would have shrugged it off. Now, if we can just get Scott to also make "Alien 5: Sorry About the Last One."

August 3, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Report abuse |
  90. Bit

Ironically, I just watched Alien and Aliens on old VHS tapes with my 17 year old daughter before I gave them away. She had never seen them, but was not as impressed as I was because so many themes and plot devices from these movies have been copied in subsequent years. Entertainment Weekly recently featured an article suggesting that women are drawn to these types of movies because they have a central female character who survives and overcomes adversity. For me, Alien (and Ripley) was the first example of this.

August 3, 2009 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  91. HAL

it will only work if it stays true to the roots of what made it great (unlike some of the subsequent films). hollywood- in some wrong-headed thought process- seems to do all the wrong things thinking it will net them maximum profits. Well written movies make MORE money!

August 3, 2009 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  92. Timus

Maybe they were bio-engineered by humans to begin with or there was a roach on board one of the voyager probes and it evolved into them.....hmmmm.

August 3, 2009 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |
  93. Gina

Ridley Scott and more Aliens – best idea since Peter Jackson and Lord of the Rings. Where can I start the line?

August 3, 2009 at 4:20 pm | Report abuse |
  94. bingy

Loved all the Aliens movies but don't see the sense of a prequel.
    Am I getting old?

August 3, 2009 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
  95. Carl

Movies are done to death (Rocky and Jaws comes to mind), but George Lucas prequels were better than the original in my opinion. A prequal to Alien could be good if done correctly.

August 3, 2009 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  96. Lee

OK, I'm waiting. I hope it is good. In response to Drew, G Lucas is not Ridley Scott.

August 3, 2009 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  97. Haggus

Scott doing another Alien might not be a sure winner, but it sure ranks higher than most crap these days.

August 3, 2009 at 4:07 pm | Report abuse |
  98. Kimmell

I have been a fan of all the "Alien" movies, with "Alien" being my favorite.

As with the "Halloween", and "Friday The 13th" films, many, many fans will want to see another "Alien" film.
    I just hope it wont take place on earth, and have these "famous" actors to star in it.

August 3, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  99. Alex

drew, normally i would agree with you, because the last 2 alien films have been REALLY bad IMO. Alien 4 was a huge letdown, and the AVP films are well, ummmm yeah.

but a PREQUEL with Ridley Scott directing? i don't know how a true fan couldn't get excited about this!

August 3, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
  100. drew

Please say it ain't so! I loved "Alien" but it's had its time. If George Lucas has taught us anything, it's that prequels are rarely, if ever, good things. I love Ridley's movies, but I think that well enough should be left alone.

August 3, 2009 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  101. dennis meissner

This is very good news for us Alien followers.

I can see the story line showing how Weyland-Yutani came by the information of the Alien in the first place.

Be kinda hard to have Sigourney Weaver in a plot prior to the first Alien feature but maybe do something with the Ash character?

August 3, 2009 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  102. Joe

Call me officially intrigued.

August 3, 2009 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |