August 3rd, 2009

"Jon & Kate" return tonight

It’s been a few weeks since we have gotten to spend some “TLC” time with the Gosselins.

I just got back from a weeklong vacation and I couldn’t pick up a magazine, newspaper or turn on a morning talk show without being met with some update on Jon’s love life – and there were a few.

The promos for tonight’s show have Kate attempting to put together a tent by herself so that she can take her kids camping. Very respectable, and I am sure it will be very cute, but I have got to tell you, if this is what’s being offered up as new episodes, I’m not biting.

Personally, I am more interested in seeing how “Jon & Kate” address the constant throng of paparazzi outside their gates. How do you explain to a 5 year old why there are people standing outside of his house screaming at his parents and snapping pictures?  I know that these kids grew up with video cameras, but they are not used to paparazzi who often shout things to get a reaction from their subjects.

I want to see how Jon and Kate are helping their kids deal with this from the inside – give us a glimpse of that.  Plus, give us some reassurance that those eight adorable children of yours are unfazed by all of this.  I’m not a psychic, but I would say if you can do all this, “Jon & Kate Plus 8” will pull in big ratings.

What do you think? Will you be watching tonight?

Be sure to stay with Showbiz Tonight for continuing coverage of Jon and Kate Gosselin – 11pm ET/PT on HLN!

1. LBW

I wouldn't take him back. His little girl friend, the pot smoker, looks like a walking STD. Sometimes when your partner leaves you, they have done you a favor.

August 4, 2009 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Valerie

I truly enjoyed Jon & Kate when they were an average everyday family (but with eight kids) now they are no fun to watch. It just seems to be a constant parade of how to spend money, they are not longer average or intersting. Money obviously has greatly changed their values and the focus is on stuff who cares about little crooked houses that probably cost more than my car.

August 4, 2009 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  3. Clarissa

I do think that Jon and Kate should have worked more on their marriage. But I do not blame them for doing the show. I am tired of everyone knocking their decision to do it. There was alot of editng involved so I'm sure that had some impact on how Jon and Kate were portrayed. How else were they going to support such a large family?

August 4, 2009 at 10:32 am | Report abuse |
  4. damejoan

I will no longer watch this show, The fame and money has destroyed a family, and probably damaged the kids for life. Kate no longer lives the life of the average mom, coplng without the aid of millions of dollars. A family destroyed by greed.How can these kid cope with the divorce in the public eye? Get this show off the air NOW.

August 4, 2009 at 10:15 am | Report abuse |
  5. T. G.

Personally, I never really paid attention to the show, until after the tabloid reports with Jon. So, whatever TLC decides to do with the show is of no concern to me.

August 4, 2009 at 9:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. PS

I couldn't agree more with "whatever". Kate is so "it's all about me" not the kids, which the both of them are flaunting for just the money. If they, particularly Kate, thought anything of the children, they would never have done this ridiculous show. It is quite evident they only did it for the money and nothing else. It's time they get over themselves and lead a normal life. Her complaining is really old. I actually can't blame him for leaving. From the get-go, he has never appeared to be on board with this whole thing. Kate, I've never seen anyone so domineering and beligerant in my whole life. John, get a backbone! Kate get a life in the real world!

August 4, 2009 at 8:53 am | Report abuse |
  7. human being

Ok. I never write comments on anything but this time I will. "They are no longer a family"?

Just recently a research report gave an estimate of how many "single parent" FAMILIES were around the world. Operative word "FAMILY".

Kate +8 is FAMILY. How many people reading this grew up with one parent in the home, and didn't consider the group of people they lived with a family.

It's just a single parent family now. Nothing more, nothing less. Just because they don't now represent a two parent family, there is no reason to say they are not a family. I grew up in a one parent home and my mother and my sibs were my FAMILY. We were a family. We still are a family.

Watch or don't watch, your choice, but do not say they are no longer a family. The've just changed as over 30% of families world wide have changed through death, divorce, desertion to a one parent family.

August 4, 2009 at 2:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. anna

The kids are spoiled brats, the couple is whiney, there is no real discipline, only Kate hitting the kids which does not work, the show exploits the kids and they should shut it dwon

August 4, 2009 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  9. Grammi

I will not watch because they need to terminate the show and focus on rebuilding the family. This is so very sad.

August 4, 2009 at 12:07 am | Report abuse |
  10. Debra

How can they continue to call this show Jon and Kate Plus 8. It's Jon OR Kate Plus 8, plus however many women he's sleeping with. Why TLC continues to air this show is beyond me. Does anybody have the kids best interest in mind here, NO!!!! The answer is absolutely NOT. Does anybody give a damn about these children? Jon, Kate and TLC certainly do not. This is rediculous. They both continue to 'claim' they're doing this for the sake of their children well then dammit, GET OFF THE TV and work on putting your marriage AND family back together.

August 3, 2009 at 10:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JSHandcock

We will not watch this show ever again – after seeing what they are doing to their children, the only people who should be interested in it is CPS. We also don't understand why people have not been up in arms over K(H)ates abusive behaviour. If the roles were reversed with the husband acting as she does there would be boycotts and the show would have been pulled seasons ago. I guess its fine for a wife to be abusive, but a big no no for the husband. This show causes a seriously upset stomach and a guilty conscience that one is watching such horrible behaviour. Please Please Please pull this show for the sake of the children.

August 3, 2009 at 10:11 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Whatever

I just can't stand this show any longer...it focuses more on just jon and kate, who i BOTH think are such obnoxious, self-absorbed, selfish people, and not all about the kids. And frankly, i never thought the show was that interesting, esp. now. What is so exciting about having poor ol' single mama kate fixing up a tent and probably doing a self-important rant about how hard it is to be a single mom now. What's the fun in watching this show anymore? call me ol' fashion but i never really found the idea of watching a broken-apart family that entertaining...they need to stop the show, it is obviously not good for the kids and they really aren't even in it for the kids anymore! now it is just disturbing, shallow, and plain sad to watch.

August 3, 2009 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. brandi

i now really..he's such a jerk, he just cant keep his pants on, its soo embarresing for his Kate and the children, the way hes been acting..the women only want him for the money and the fame..come on do you really think its going to last, what women wants to date a man with 8 little kids? duh..

August 3, 2009 at 9:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Elaine

I am sorry to see what has happened to this family and the relationship of the parents. I have often thought that Kate was hard on her husband, but not any longer. She's not an idiot, I think she suspected trouble for a while and was frustrated. Watching the goings on since the divorce, I find it easier to believe Kate. I'm not sure if Jon realizes that when his kids go back to school, they are going to be teased by the children on the playground, how is he going to explain that to his children? I don't know if this couple have had counseling, I hope they did. I believe that any relationship that can be saved should be saved. I don't really know if the show should go on or not, I feel that the parents need to decide what's in the best interest of the children. I wish Kate's family was more supportive of her. In my opinion, her family is usng Kate and the children for their own 15mins of fame, the same thing they are accusing Kate of doing.

August 3, 2009 at 7:44 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Angie

I'll still watch. From the beginning Kate's been running things; taking charge. John just sat back and let her. While Kate loves the attention and publicity I felt John didn't and wanted to just fade into the background. I'm not he's got some girlfriends; Kate needs to get her a boyfriend.

August 3, 2009 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse |
  16. Clair Hall

I have watched Jon and Kate Plus 8 since the very beginning and have loved watching the kids grow every season. I will no longer be watching this show because the fun has gone out of the show. It just won't be the same anymore since they are no longer a family.

August 3, 2009 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |
  17. Michaela

Kate admitted she should've treated Jon better AND that she wanted to work on the marriage. HE is the one who has left the marriage and is now behaving like a little boy in candy store...THREE women in such a short time AND one a barely former tabloid reporter? Give me a break, he's acting like a jerk. But I do hope that he'll come to his senses and reunite with Kate for a better marriage, because I think HE will be the one that will eventually look back and regret what he has done, and it might be too late.

August 3, 2009 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |